1.24/5
Based on 49 reviews that contain star ratings

62 Home Decorating Company/Yankee Retail Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

I placed an order on May 5, 2018; and I have yet to receive it. Tracking numbers shows the order has not been shipped. It's really sad that a company that has beautiful items seem to not care about the customer service that the consumers are receiving.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I received the wrong item over two months ago and still can't get this company to send me the correct order that I've already paid for. Customer service continues to give me the runaround about the vendor correcting it but clearly they aren't going to help me and neither is the Home Decorating Company. The correct item is in stock, I've sent pictures of the wrong one, offered to send it back, and asked for the correct item or a refund, and no luck whatsoever. Incredibly frustrated that they won't fix their own mistake, but all I can do is dispute this with my credit card company and never do business with this awful site again.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I got an email for HDC asking me to contact them regarding a "problem" with an order I'd placed. I made numerous phone calls to the two extensions provided, where the promise to get back to you within 24 business hours. What does that even mean - 3 days?? Even their vmail message is unclear. No response, no response to an email. I finally replied telling them to disregard/cancel my order because I didn't want to do business with a company with a complete lack of customer service when there are so many good ones I can do business with. They haven't charged my credit card yet, but based on other reviews here, you can bet I'll be watching my credit card like a hawk. And based on the nightmare return stories, the silver lining here is probably that I never rec'd anything to return!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I ordered a duvet set on November 19, 2017 and have received multiple emails with different dates on when the items may come. On December 1, an email stating that all 4 items should be here 3rd week of December. Then on December 18th, stating all 4 items should be here 1st week of January. Then, on December 26th, that 2 of the items shipped. Now awaiting 2 other items. I go to check status, and it now says the last 2 items estimate shipping out the 4th week of February. I've cancelled the last 2 items because I can't trust that I'll even get the items then. And now I can't return the 2 other items because I had washed them in anticipation that I was getting the two final part of the set this week. Shame on me for trusting Home Decorating Company.com or Yankee Retail Group. I'm not shopping here again and I will warn others not to shop here either.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I ordered a pillow online from this company on December 2. As of today, I still had not received it. I tried to call them to ask about it but was unable to get in touch with a representative. I contacted them via online chat and they told me I would not receive the pillow until the second week of January! I told them I would have appreciated notice of this prior to now, and they said they had tried to call and email me. I checked my emails and missed calls and had none from them. In addition to this, they were not very apologetic. I cancelled my order and will not be ordering from this company again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Decorating Company/Yankee Retail?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I should have known: struggled trying to get an answer about color on a bedspread I wanted to order, the quality of pictures was very poor. I went ahead and ordered. It's been 6 weeks, still no order. I'd never do business with them again. Amazon is much more responsive and reliable.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Do not purchase anything from this company of ripoffs! I refused to accept delivery of an order I had attempted to cancel way before it shipped and it has been over a month and I have yet to receive my refund. These people are crooks and bullies, so unless you want to be ripped-off, find what you want from another company!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

I ordered a quilt for my son via Yankee Retail. It looked nice when we opened the package. But in less than a month, there was already a tear between the patchwork pieces. I emailed the company, sending a photo of the damage. No response. I emailed them two more times. Still no response. I will fix the quilt myself, but I'm warning others not to order from this company. Their merchandise is shoddy and there is NO customer service.

Original review: July 22, 2016

Bought Lacoste bedding and was much cheaper than anywhere else we looked. Everything came in good condition and as was described on their website. I was hesitant to purchase these after all of the negative reviews, but we are happy with the purchase. It took a while for everything to ship which is why we did not rate 5 stars. Our card was not charged until it shipped and after it did we received in a few days.

Original review: May 11, 2016

They do accept any returns, they find reasons to not refund your money. Melissa, the manager must think that she owns the company. Horrible customer service and customer satisfaction. NONE...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

13 days after Christmas, and upon my insistent inquiry, I find that the Duvet I ordered on Dec 11 as a Christmas present will not be delivered. Now I am left with an insert and matching sheets and the twin set ordered elsewhere to complete the loft beds. The customer service was not acceptable. Had I read the reviews on this company I would have known better than to order from them. Shame on me!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2015

I too would give a 0 if I could. Not only do they say they have an item in stock but once ordered you find it will be back ordered. We returned a bedding set in less than a week and then were told it would be 25 days for the refund and actual shipping charges would be taken out. Well over a month later we get the refund and $54 was taken from the amount paid. That is over twice what we paid to return the items. Thus we have over $75 in fees, and no explanation of charges, just for trying this 0 company. You had better know exactly what you want and pray there is not any sort of issue as you will pay dearly for choosing this company.

Original review: April 23, 2015

I placed an order with The Home Decorating Store/Yankee Retail. I ordered a comforter set and a bed skirt. I only received the bed skirt, the rest of my order went missing, never delivered. I spent 2 weeks with them trying to get my order reshipped, however, I kept getting the run around so I cancelled the rest of the order. They are trying to charge me $18.99 for shipping the whole order when I only received a bed skirt that could fit in a manila envelope. These people are thieves!!! This company should be put out of business. Maybe if enough people read these complaints, they will not order anything from this company. DON'T FALL VICTIM TO THIS UNSCRUPULOUS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: March 17, 2015

I wish I could rate this company a big fat ZERO! Spent 760.00 here. As I unfolded the king quilt that I received yesterday I noticed it had yellow spots on it. I just received this yesterday. I called Yankee retail. I was told I would be charged a 20% restocking fee plus I was responsible for shipping charges. So basically their return policy is a like our ** or lump it. It looks like it was used and repackaged. I wish so much that I had my 760.00 back! DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! You will regret your purchase every time you look at it! I only received part of my order so I'm dreading what the rest will look like when and if it gets here.

Original review: March 5, 2015

On 3/4/15, I placed an order for a Calvin Klein duvet cover. Within a few minutes after placing the order, I realized it would be the wrong item. So following the company's instructions, I informed the Customer Service Rep via online chat and followed up via email to their Customer Service Department. The CS Rep immediately told me that I may not be able to cancel the order. I pointed out that the order had just been placed and the order status was still pending which means the order had not been processed yet. She said she didn't know if it could be cancelled. I insisted on canceling the order and requested an email confirmation by end of business day. I didn't hear back all day from them. I contacted my credit card and flagged the issue.

On 3/5, I received an email from the company stating that they will attempt to cancel the order but that may not be possible. The email also reminded me that if the item will ship out and I'll end up returning it, I will incur restocking fees, etc. I replied to the email by saying that if the issue is not resolved, as it appears the order is being forced on me - the customer, I'm prepared to escalate this to the Attorney General of the state of Connecticut. I'm absolutely determined to expose their shady business practices if necessary. Since then I have received a call from the company telling me they're going to cancel the order. I requested an email confirmation for the order cancellation. I will not purchase anything EVER again from this organization or from any of its affiliated companies.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I placed an order on 10-15-14. Part of my order was shipped, then another part on 11-7-14. Still waiting on the last part of this order. They had no problem charging my credit card for the whole amount the day I ordered it. Contacted customer service via email and telephone only to be hung up on and no response from email. Finally got someone on live chat only to be told I would be updated today. No further information when I commented back. I will never order again from this company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

I have been looking to buy a quilt for a couple of weeks from Home Decorating Company. Everyday they have a 20% one day sale coupon. Every day they make the one sale day, the next day, the next and next. It is not a sale. It is the same price every day. I don't think this is even legal.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

This website "The Home Decorating Company" acts as middleman to major manufacturer's products. Their parent company is Yankee Retail out of Connecticut. Ordered several products. 8 days later I received the products. Some were wrong. Like another complainant said, I called Customer Service and either got disconnected or no answer. I finally called Sales, who are also Customer Service people but they won't answer Customer Service questions over the weekend. I have called and talked to them several times over last 10 days. I have not gotten any status of my replacement products. These people barely speak English and appear to read from scripts. They provide no-answers, such as "Thomasville has been notified of the problem and we are awaiting status of shipment." If you find something you like on their website, Google the same product and buy somewhere else. I can't believe the well-known Thomasville is at fault for not having any status of replacements after 10 days.

Original review: July 27, 2014

Lenox had a 1 day 20% off sale and I have an online coupon for 25% off of the order. Sales rep Mike said Lenox sale price was only for 1 item. I disagree! He tried to tell me this was a coupon, but it is NOT! Then he told me Tommy 25% off coupon was $25. When I called him back after I checked again, he said he could find that coupon. This makes NO sense! He also told me my first card wouldn't go through so I had to use a 2nd one. I think he did it so he could get my card information. I don't like this at all...

Original review: March 18, 2014

I submitted an order through their website incorrectly so I attempted to cancel it and reorder. I couldn't get through to their customer service as the 800 number would not allow me to select their "refund order" option and kept disconnecting me after I selected it. Big red flag. Once I got through, the Indian guy who spoke to me refused to send me a refund and kept telling me I should reorder the correct item and wait for a refund for the first order! Shady tactics attempting to get me to part with more money. Customer service was not willing to help me and kept telling me they couldn't view my order until tomorrow. I knew this to be completely bogus as the internet is virtually immediate. I wish I could give them zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2014

On January 2nd, 2014 I ordered a modern-living-blossom-queen-comforter-set-1c90376. On January 3rd, I received an email confirming my order. When I checked the status, it said expected shipping date of 1/24. Since they had a good price with the 20% off, I decided to be patient and wait. On the 25th, the status continued to say expected shipping date 1/24. On January 27th, I sent both an email and did an online chat since the status continued to read expected shipping date of 1/24. I was told on the online chat that my order status would be updated within 24 hrs. No explanation as to why it was taking so long. Today, January 28th, I now get an email stating the item is discontinued; however it remains on their website. I will never place another order with this company and I wish I had searched for the reviews and complaints on this company prior to placing my order. Terrible customer service, terrible ordering process, nasty employees. Don't do business with them, Enough Said.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

In December 2013 I placed two separate orders, both of which worked out perfectly. My first order was for a comforter set for my daughter. Since I had it sent directly to her, I could not personally see it, but she affirmed to me that it is beautiful. I received a 20% discount on that order. My second order was for a quilt set that arrived quickly and is also beautiful, and I have no complaints. The only strange occurrence was that the company, while shipping my second order quickly, informed me that my first order would be shipped at the end of the month, which was three weeks away. I sent an inquiry and was simply told that was their normal shipping time. I was surprised but did not argue the point. However, happily my daughter received her comforter set, my first order, in a short amount of time after all.

If I had seen this website before ordering, I would not have placed my orders after reading about all the negative experiences, and now consider myself very fortunate. I had no indication whatsoever of any unprofessionalism or deceit, but after reading these reviews I honestly have to say that I am fearful of ordering from them again. I've wanted to order the same comforter set for myself that I had ordered for my daughter as it, in the picture, is gorgeous. However, now I don't know if I will take the chance, especially since, according to one or more of the reviews here, Home Decorating - Yankee Retail - is actually a company from India. The fact that they hide this information is concerning in itself. So, all in all, I had an excellent experience with Home Decorating Company, and do not know whether this was a fortunate fluke for me. Perhaps they have turned over a new leaf?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2014

Be VERY CAREFUL as this is a 3rd world co. hiding behind English speaking college grads. They tried to hit me with a 175.00 shipping charge but to no avail. They operate under several different names ALL very American sounding. Do NOT be fooled! Most important is once you've placed an order they now have your CREDIT CARD NO. CONSIDER LIFE-LOCK.... I IMMEDIATELY SIGNED WITH THEM. File a COMPLAINT with the Connecticut Attorney General's office NOW! Thanks immigration for 911, AIDS, and the END OF AMERICAN IDEALS.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

I purchased a duvet cover from the company and due to color reasons returned the item. I received an email confirming receipt of my return on August 26th which also stated my credit card refund would be processed within 30-60 days! Who does this and is it legal? It is now October 9th and I've yet to receive my $550.00 refund. I've been back and forth via email and have threatened to take legal action unless I receive a refund within 24 hours. I will now make sure to google any company I have not done business with as I certainly would never have made the purchase if I had done so... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: May 3, 2013

The first time the comforter was laundered as directed by tagged directions, the entire comforter melted. It potentially could cause fire. Company would do nothing to resolve the issue. They will not answer phone calls unless you call in as though you are interested in purchasing something from them. I tried numerous times for several weeks to get the company to do the right thing. Also part of the comforter set is missing from the order. Company would not send missing bed skirt. Do not do business with this company unless you want to have problems.

Original review: April 20, 2013

Unbelievably aggravated. I ordered a quilt, bedskirt, pillow shams and a pillow. I got only the bedskirt after almost a month of waiting. I had to call twice to check on the rest of the order and then finally received the rest after almost two months from my original order. They put my charge through the day I placed the order unlike reputable companies that charge when shipped. I did not think the bedskirt matched the quilt, so I decided to keep only the quilt. Of course the bedskirt was almost here 30 days waiting for the rest of the order, so I rushed to return what I did not want. This should have been an exception to the rule, but I didn't chance it.

One pillow sham had been opened as well as the bedskirt. Nothing touched the floor, although I will admit getting the bedskirt back in the bag was a challenge. Well, I had to call twice for my credits and then was not reimbursed $34.00-$9.99 re-folding charge and shipping (I got it free - I thought!) and I still kept the $150 quilt! I don't know who Melissa ** is, but she has no conscience. This mistake cost me $59.00 when I add the return shipping (!), not to mention the three months from when they got my money. I still may see if my credit card company will credit! I will never ever order from them again and am spreading the word as far as I can.

Original review: March 20, 2013

I wish I could give 0 stars because this company is a scam! Avoid at all cost! If I had only googled them before I made an order. I ordered a bedding set on March 9th and for weeks it said processing. When I couldn't wait any longer, I contacted the company (home decorating co) and said I want to cancel and get my money back. In the meantime, I ordered the same bedding from Amazon and they had shipped it the next day! Now, I followed up with this company next day to see when I can expect my refund and they said they had shipped it! I was furious! To put an icing on the cake, the manager Melissa said I will be charged 20% restocking fee just to return it! This has been absolutely the worst experience online ever! Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! Save yourself a headache!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

I recently ordered 3 Euro shams from Yankee Retail. I hadn't used this company in the past and I will not use them in the future. It's tricky to order things online because photos don't always depict the item accurately, so it's nice when companies offer free shipping and free return shipping as an incentive for taking a gamble on an online product. Knowing the risk, I purchased the 3 Euro shams anyway. When I received them, I did not care for the fabric. I expected a soft velvety material and instead they were rough and linen-y. I repackaged the 1 sham that I opened and mailed back all 3 at my own expense. When Yankee received them, they sent me an email saying that the inventory was unacceptable because there was hair all over them. Despite a response to them that I cannot be responsible for the other two items, they refused to refund me my money and are now sending them back to me. It's not the end of the world, but when there are wonderful companies with fabulous customer service and return policies, I won't waste my time, money, or energy on Yankee ever again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2013

I ordered a comforter set. When it was received, it was much darker in color than pictured online. I did not take the comforter out of the packaging, as it is almost impossible to refold and replace such a large, bulky item as a comforter. I merely unzipped the clear plastic to get a better look at the comforter. I zipped it up and re-boxed it in its original shipping box. I was given an RAN and told to insure it. I did this; the return cost me $44.85.

When I finally heard back from this company, they informed me that they had received the goods, but that I would not be credited as they were not returned in a saleable condition. They stated that there was a "stain" on the comforter. I informed them that I never took the goods out of the box, so I could hardly be held accountable for a stain. They told me they were being returned at my expense! They did give me a tracking number, and I immediately checked with UPS. UPS informed me that this shipment was "refused" by the addressee (Yankee Retail Co. LLC).

According to UPS, a refusal means the parcel was not opened. Well, it gets worse. Now, they say they have pictures of the stain, etc. This feels like an evil Twilight Zone. The pictures were of who knows what. A hair, some dots, a little red check mark on a comforter that looks nothing like what I sent back.

I will refuse this package when it arrives. I do not believe that I will recoup my expenses ($249). I have a dispute in with my Mastercard company and can only hope that they will come through. I see that on this website alone, there are 35 complaints. How can these companies continue to operate? Where is the consumer advocate for online scams? Why can't there be some central registry for checking legitimate complaints about devious practices of predatory merchants? People get duped and scammed, people complain, and it's business as usual. Where/when does it stop?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2012

I ordered a Croscill Bedroom ensemble, order total was $640. I ordered this on the first of November, I was promptly charged. I returned all the items back the middle of November (cost me $58 in return shipping). I received email confirmation on November 27th that they had received the items back, but as of Dec. 20th, I have not gotten my credit card refunded. You have to do the email chat thing, it's so annoying. They told me that my card wouldn't get the credit till after the first of January. This is piss poor pitiful service. I have never been so disgusted with the quality of the product (the ensemble was nothing like it was on the internet... think gold lame) and the customer service and their return policies are ludicrous! Who does business this way? Stay away from these people. They shouldn't be allowed to do business this way.

Home Decorating Company/Yankee Retail Company Information