4.6/5 (159 ratings)

About TruthFinder

TruthFinder People Search provides millions of Americans with easy-to-read background reports, public records, contact information and more. TruthFinder reports include data sourced from county, state and federal databases. Truthfinder accesses multiple public records stored on the internet and presents them to the user in one simple report. You can use TruthFinder to check up on old friends, investigate an online date’s information, reconnect with family members and even to check yourself.

Pros

• Unlimited reports
  • Mobile app
  • Detailed reports

Cons

• Must buy full month
  • No trial period

Bottom Line

TruthFinder customers pay a fee to receive detailed reports with a person’s contact information, social media profiles, education, jobs, possible associates and more.

TruthFinder Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruthFinder?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truthfinder?

Original review: May 1, 2018

In using this site, I was able to locate and identify multiple long lost friends and relatives. Information given was almost completely accurate and well presented. The ease of using this site was great and able to present multiple and close identity to the person requested.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your positive feedback! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave your review, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at (800) 699-8081.

No response received
Original review: April 29, 2018

Sites like yours should be outlawed. SUED AND BANKRUPT. Your site is too easy to abuse by those with malicious intent. Where the perpetrator can remain anonymous. Where landlords will use your site in violation of terms of uses where that info is illegal or extremely difficult for them to look up under normal circumstances.

I have a valid reason NOT to want my info online and where it is required to go to courthouse to acquire. YOU'RE ENDANGERING MY LIFE. My mother had a stalker (she passed away but I AM STILL HERE). The police were never able to catch this stalker. We have made an effort to keep our lives private and OFF places like your site. By your putting my records online that would require you to go to courthouse to get, where there are people to witness and cameras to record, who is requesting the info in case the info is abused to harm those they are looking into.

Your site has none of these safeguards. I pay to be unlisted and you are overriding that by putting my info online where I DON'T WANT IT. FOR MY SAFETY!! There are those of us who are innocent and do NOT want to be part of your database. Like my father that has ZERO online PRESENCE and will have nothing to do with the internet. But you endangered him by letting everyone know from the comfort and privacy of their hideout that he has over 1.5million in assets. Making him a target for con and scams. I was able to get that from you without having to even verify who I was. Nor had there been witnesses that I even was able to find that out in the first place.

If I find out anyone used your site to make a decision that harms me, or my family I will sue you for everything your worth. Because you removed a safeguard that the courthouse provided they don't have to give that info if the requester is suspicious. Or say has a history of stalking the person they are requesting info about. Which the courthouse would NOT give that person the public record. BUT YOU DO.

Hi Corey,

Thank you for your feedback. While we choose to focus on the positives that our service is used for, such as reconnecting family and friends, being used as a safety resource for online dating, or finding out more about the people that we meet in our daily lives, we understand your concerns. As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of TruthFinder for free. Once you have opted out, your background report will no longer appear on the TruthFinder site. Your background report will be removed from our databases and our website, but as we did not create these records, they will still be available, albeit from different sources.

To remove your background report from our site, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Go to www.truthfinder.com/opt-out/, search for the report you’d like to opt out, and click “Remove This Record.”
2. You will be asked to submit a valid email address in order to send a confirmation email. Email confirmation is required to process your opt out request. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please be sure to check your spam folder and move the confirmation email to your regular inbox.

3. Once you click the “Confirm Opt Out” button inside the email you receive, we will begin processing your opt out request which can take up to 48 hours.

Please keep in mind that we do not remove sex offender location data and that your name could still appear as a possible relative or associate in another individual’s background report.

If you have any questions or need assistance walking through the process please contact our Customer Support at 1-800-699-8081 or via email at help@truthfinder.com. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Using the system is easy enough, but the information is not always current. There is very limited Employment information available. It is very cumbersome having the sex offender database hits attached to the Background information, it is usually more pages than the Report itself.

Hi Everett,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of our service. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. Our information is gathered from numerous public sources, and we simply display this data in an easy-to-read format. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or out-of-date. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 28, 2018

Telephone number was completely incorrect information on search I recently conducted. General information seems to be fairly old. But I appreciate the service. I've searched for my own information. Husband's info. And people I've recently become acquainted with--it's helpful for that, better than nothing. They should get more updated info. though.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or out-of-date. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I found the service useful overall, but I was looking to use the service as a business tool, to check the background on some of the small business owners I come in contact with, and I just haven't had much success for most of the searches. So I'm not sure, if it is because of the wrong city being entered or something else. So it may be useful to continue service. Can I get some feedback?

Hi Terrance,

Thank you for reaching out. Please keep in mind that TruthFinder is meant to be used for personal use. In regards to your searches, if you are unsure of the city, using the state filter without entering in a city can sometimes be helpful. It is also possible that the information is just not available to us. We would be more than happy to assist you with your searches. We will reach out to you privately to provide further assistance.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This program has help me locate both friends and family, my only complaint is that the search records do not go far enough back in time. Some names of people would have records beyond the'60's. When researching young friends of ancestors, you need to go back in time a little further.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're happy to hear our service is helping you locate friends and family. We apologize if you are unable to locate certain older records. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information is not available to us. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: April 26, 2018

In my opinion Truth Finder is knowledgeable in its findings and provides a lot of useful information. I'd give them a 70% accuracy. As for the email and telephone number look up my experience was not a productive one. Most numbers I looked up there was no information available for them as the same for the emails. But for the price of the email and phone # lookup it's a good price for unlimited searches. As for Truthfinder it's a little pricy for me. Even though you do get unlimited background searches I really didnt use it enough to justify the price I paid. You may and you may not have IDK. You should have a business package and a personal package and offer the personal package at a cheaper rate in the long run. You're more apt to keep a customer for several months that would have normally canceled after the first month or two at the current price. Just my opinion.

Hi Philip,

We really appreciate the thorough and honest feedback of our services. We apologize that you were unable to locate all of the phone numbers and email addresses that you were searching for, but we are happy to hear we could provide you with a lot of useful information. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 22, 2018

I really like TruthFinder. I volunteer for an organization that sends condolence packets to the recently bereaved. Often I can't find the addy for relatives without TruthFinder. It has really helped me to reach out to those who are hurting.

Hi Diane,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TruthFinder. We're glad to hear we can help you find the addresses you are looking for, and we really admire the volunteer work you do to reach out to those who are hurting.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Receiving reports - Most times easy, sometimes keeps saying email already in use and ask to change my password, won't let me in though it is me trying to use it. Today this happened numerous times but now appears I can so hope so since haven't finished this session and called was told will receive a callback and never did.

Hi Sandra,

We apologize that you had a hard time logging into your account. We will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Sad so many of the phone numbers don't work anymore. I wish it would show the name that is associated with the number, not just a group of numbers. When I call them, some people say they are a relative and I was embarrassed when I didn't know their name. But happy for some address numbers.

Hi Jo,

We appreciate your honest feedback, and we apologize for any frustrations you may have had with the phone numbers provided in our reports. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but we can only display the information that was provided to us. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: April 17, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS DISREPUTABLE COMPANY. This site promised to confirm military status of a person searched. I agreed to a one time search. First, there was absolutely NO information on the site of this nature. To add insult to injury, I see a recurring charge on my bank account. There was no way online to "cancel" my membership -- the membership I never signed up for. I called them, they agreed to credit me the amount but the person on the phone did NOT inspire confidence. I arranged with my bank to put a stop on any possible future charges. I also noticed a marked increase in the amount of spam I received.

Hi Patricia,

We apologize you did not find the information you were looking for in our reports. We do not provide military status, but we do provide some military records when it is available.

We also apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. Our Billing Terms are conspicuously explained on this page and in our Terms of Use. Additionally, all of our customers have the ability to lookup their order history on the TruthFinder dashboard under My Orders and are sent a confirmation email for any orders placed on the site.

If you have any questions regarding the foregoing, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service department at (800) 699-8081.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This site is horrible, and not much of the information is truthful. This site had me listed as having a warrant out for my arrest in California (not a good place to be wanted)... So I called Orange County, California to find out why I had a warrant out for my arrest... it turns out that California had NO CLUE why they put this on their webpage, and in fact had never heard of this site. Also I know my father has passed away... a few years ago, this site has him alive and with a new address 4 years after his passing. It also listed several people as my "associates" when in fact I have no idea who these people are at all. This site is a BAD idea and has nothing but misinformation and lies. I canceled my account with them and had my information deleted, too bad companies like this are allowed to spread so many lies.

Hi Don,

We're sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in our reports. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 11, 2018

They market that you can cancel at any time, but good luck trying to do it. They do not send reminder emails, they just charge your account and hope you don't notice they are charging you. They might as well steal your credit card. Don't sign-up for this service; it's a money grab.

Hi Mike,

All of our customers have the ability to lookup their order history on the TruthFinder dashboard under My Orders and are sent a confirmation email for any orders placed on the site. Our customer support number can be found on our customers' bank statements in case our customers have any questions regarding the TruthFinder charges on their account.

Customers can cancel at any time by calling our customer support line, contacting us via email or mail, or through their TruthFinder account.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 8, 2018

I signed up with Truthfinder after reading in the local paper that it was the only way to get my name off public records. I was concerned about my privacy. I signed up for "1 month of Unlimited Reports". No explanation of "1 month of Unlimited Reports" appeared so, like any reasonable person, I assumed that 1 month meant 1 month. Boy was I wrong. I was billed for 16 months of membership before I caught it on my credit card statement. Their billing practices are incredibly deceptive. I spoke with someone at Truthfinder today and they are giving me a 12 month refund. I doubt that they would make this type of refund if they didn't already know that their billing practices are unscrupulous.

Hi Cindy,

We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. Our Billing Terms are conspicuously explained on this page and in our Terms of Use. Additionally, all of our customers have the ability to lookup their order history on the TruthFinder dashboard under My Orders and are sent a confirmation email for any orders placed on the site.

No response received
Original review: April 3, 2018

I put my own name in and it generated a list of my family as well as a long list of people I've never even heard of. Some of the people that I had heard of are not my relatives. I didn't go any further because I can't trust the information. I wouldn't use this site to look up information on anyone else knowing mine was so incorrect.

Hi Jeanne,

We apologize that you were unhappy with the information found on our site. The information included in our background reports is gathered from numerous public sources. We do not create or add to the information we obtain. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but occasionally some data just isn’t available to us or may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: April 1, 2018

Simply put, it's BS. Spam, fishing, nonsense. They "Truthfinder" absolutely try to bait you into paying for the "details" of their inaccurate records. It's safe to say that I know the truth about myself and my historical information. They claim to have multiple arrest records about me in their so called background checks. I'm sure some fools get nervous, thinking that there's some truth to this but c'mon folks, it's nonsense. I've never been arrested! If they don't have accurate Information about me then how could I trust that they have accurate info about anyone else.

Hi Julia,

Thank you for your feedback. The information included in our background reports is gathered from numerous public sources. We do not create or add to the information we obtain. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but occasionally some data just isn’t available to us or may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. For this reason we always identify criminal records as being more or less likely to be associated with the specific person a user is searching for. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. You can reach us 24/7 at (800) 699-8081.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: March 22, 2018

I made the mistake of clicking on their ad and submitting my info assuming I would audit what info is out there on me. What I got was threatening and inaccurate scam cycle! I did find myself but funny how they have added frightening and wholly invalid things... Says I have 2 arrest records? I'm pretty sure that as a mother of 3 I would remember if I had EVER been arrested! Now, as I will not give them a dime to see this sensationalistic **, I am now caught in their nasty cycle of spam with this garbage listed and spam in my inbox all the time. How can this company get away with these non-factual scare tactics to sell their BS reports??

Hi Annette,

We apologize for any confusion that you may have experienced with our policies. We do collect personal information such as name, address, and email address. When a customer enters in this information and clicks “Continue”, they agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

All users have the choice to unsubscribe from promotional materials from us or our marketing partners by unsubscribing themselves or contacting us at help@truthfinder.com. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Resolution response: April 30, 2018

Kasey,

I appreciate that you were willing to refund my payment. I am still receiving multiple spam mails a day and will have to create a new email account. The emails are deplorable!

Capp

Original review: March 20, 2018

I used Truthfinder to search the web for info on myself. Some of it was relevant to me, most of it was old or inconsequential, but the most disturbing thing was all the SPAM mail I started receiving the next day. I have never gotten much spam, but now I receive about 30 – 50 spam mails a day. The annoyance is not worth the $27 I paid for minimal information.

Hi Capp,

Original review: March 20, 2018

Highly disappointed with tactics. I stopped short of the process as they keep asking you “are you sure you want to know”? I decided I didn’t. Now I’m flooded with sexually explicit emails and all other sorts of crap. I’m very upset.

Hi Michele,

Sincerely,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: March 12, 2018

Charged $27.78 for one month for information that was incorrect. The information on the file was not up to date, was incorrect and had combined information for two people. Would not recommend using this site unless you don't need updated info. Found it very pricey for useless data.

Hi Diana,

I’m sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Resolution response: March 9, 2018

Although I didn't get the results I was looking for, the member care team at Truthfinder was very helpful in resolving my issues by giving me a refund.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I had already done my own research, and wanted to make sure I checked for every piece of information I could get, so I tried Truthfinder. Everything it listed on Truthfinder, I had already found on free websites. Would not recommend this at all.

Hi Amy,

We understand how frustrating it is when you can't find the information you were looking for. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but some states and counties do not release their records to the public which sometimes impacts the quality of our data. We apologize and will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I did a search of myself and within 2 days I began receiving sexually explicit SPAM and solicitations in the email many times a day. Apart from the fact that the information presented was largely inaccurate, the SPAM is really really annoying. DON'T DO IT!!! All the accurate information was available through public record (clearly it would take a lot more time to track that down on my own). Only 2 of the 20 associates mentioned were accurate. The many listed family members were other people related to someone with the same name as mine. Interestingly it did not list my brother at all. My parents were listed, but I had been prompted to chose their names before the report was finished. Watch out for automatic renewal: be sure to cancel the service. This is not worth the trouble - BEWARE - your email will be compromised.

Hi Kim,

We’re sorry for any confusion that you may have experienced with our policies. We do collect personal information such as name, address, and email address. When a customer enters in this information and clicks “Continue”, they agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. All users have the choice to unsubscribe from promotional materials from us or our marketing partners by unsubscribing themselves or contacting us at help@truthfinder.com. We have removed your information from our email marketing list. Please allow at least 10 days for the email advertisements to cease.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Got a report 82 pages long that was 99% fluff information. Actual information relative to person I was researching could maybe be on two pages at most. Had list of possible associates that were useless. Also had listings of past and current neighbors and local sex offenders from addresses where person never resided. More useless information. My opinion is that this is a ripoff. Not worth the cost. Buyer beware!

Hi Bill,

I apologize you were unhappy with the information found in your report. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, and we hate to hear that our service wasn't what you were expecting. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I liked that they made the site very easy to use and to navigate through. I was in a time crunch and needed to get the most accurate background check that I could and the site helps for people who don't know how to get around computers too well. My overall experience was great.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I found the person in question quickly and the info very detailed. Most of what I wanted to find out was there. After a few attempts at establishing the correct subject the biographical info was most forthcoming and very easy to get. The story was detailed and highly concise as to the subject's past life. There was nothing that was missing except maybe the info regarding past addresses. However after establishing the current address it became easier to track the subject’s life more precisely. I would recommend that more detail about the subject's past life experience be included. This is most important. The cost for this service is well worth it if you are seriously trying to get the background info into the subject’s life experiences and establish an understanding of this person. Highly recommended.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

In one place you can find a lot a lot of useful information about a person that would have taken you a very long time to try to put together yourself. The website was user-friendly and speedy. You got your data back quickly, where some other sites wanted you to wait for days. A premium report option is available if you want to be very thorough. It was impressive when you first logged in to see that Truthfinder has been recommended by CNET and Huffington Post. The site is easy to use in desktop or mobile mode. You don't need a lot of training and instructions to get started. The site is also very intuitive and you can jump right in and get the information you need. Our company successfully used the site to assist some employees who knew they had records but didn't know specific details in order to complete paperwork for a government contract. This site helped us find out what we needed to know quickly and easily.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Truthfinder finds with more facility and of more exact form to the people, taking into account that it is a little private and does not require personal data. It is very easy to get information and is very accurate compared to other pages, apparently because it is a platform well known and very helpful, I found it excellent. Everything went well.

Hi Josue,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive feedback! We're so glad you were able to easily find the information you were looking for.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

This site combines millions of different information from public records and creates a report. You can search for people and get real information on them by doing a background check. You can try this site for $1.00 then you can pay by the month or every few months. It's affordable and easy to use. But I would make the trial completely free for the first 5 days, or even the first search for free. This site should be more transparent about the charges because spending a lot of time on a website and then being asked for more money is frustrating. This site should not use the word free at all because people get mad when they find out that it is not free.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I was looking up family information and this site was Falsely advertising as a free service by them and others online. It was also very slow service that I couldn't bypass and it spammed my email multiple times a day the weeks after attempting to use their services as well. And I was never able to finish the check because it popped up with a charge in the last steps after the fact of waiting around for hours. Don't waste your time with any of these service sites.

Hi Audrey,

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. TruthFinder compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. But we have to pay to access those sources. We also have to pay our expert developers to turn that data into background reports that are easy for you to read and understand. We provide all of the billing details before a customer chooses to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at anytime in our Terms of Use.

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I found the Truthfinder website easy to use and understand. I really like the way the website is set up. Maybe make it more personalized to each individual and what their needs are for the website. But the overall look of the website was appealing and not overwhelming. I was able to efficiently perform the tasks I needed to. The information I received was correct, helpful and very useful as well. It was easy to find all the information I needed and I was able to find everything quickly without any problems.

Hi Amanda,

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback. We're happy to hear that our website was easy to use and that you found the information you were looking for. Thank you for the high rating!

TruthFinder Company Information