Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.78/5

Trunk Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trunk Club?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trunk Club?

Original review: March 26, 2020

I find Trunk Club more frustrating than helpful. First of all they say they sent me something and it was not included in the box and now I'm fighting that. I asked for clothes to wear in hot humid weather and received a long sleeve t-shirt, 100% wool pants and a turtleneck. I received 2 of the exact same pants in different colors, I asked for sunglasses and didn't get any at all (they were available). I'm not sure if my requests are not going through and it's a technical issue or if they're not being taken into consideration.

I've spent the last 5 months chatting with my stylist and expressing my wants/needs. I understand that I may not be the easiest person to shop for but my last box (other than the 2 items I approved to send) was a HUGE miss. On every box AND every declined item, prior to this box, I gave multiple details of what I didn't like about certain items and what I was looking for in certain items. NONE of my notes were taken into consideration. I gave Trunk Club a few tries (4 boxes to be exact) because I understand there is a learning curve but if you can't give someone what they're looking for without any kind of explanation than I think I'm better off shopping for myself.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Of all the clothing subscription boxes, Trunk Club seemed the most safe since it is a Nordstrom company, known for exceptional customer service. Unfortunately, Trunk Club falls severely short. Pros: The clothes are fairly priced - the same as what can be found on Nordstrom's website. The process is very easy. Everything comes in a box with 5 days to review. Ship back returns in the same box with a prepaid label and closure adhesive. Cons: In a month's time, the stylist assigned to the account changed 3x. Not sure if this was due to turnover. Nordstrom's flexible return policy does not extend to Trunk Club, even though the same clothes are being sold on both Nordstrom and Trunk Club.

Final straw: I discovered a manufacturing defect in an item I decided to keep after I had already shipped back the rest of the Trunk. I only kept this one item out of the 8 items that arrived in the Trunk. I requested a replacement. None were available. I was refunded the cost of the shirt MINUS the styling fee. I emailed customer service requesting that the fee be refunded since it was not my fault a replacement was not available. I was denied. All in all I had to pay $25 to fall in love with a shirt, give it back, and get nothing in return. At the very least, I expected a $25 credit towards a future purchase. But that was not offered at all.

Get buying tips about Clothing Subscription Boxes delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Received this as a gift, and the experience has been very poor so far. I don't think I've ever encountered a more confusing / more poorly UX designed platform. I've tried to reach out to customer service both about profile setup questions and about why my gift card amount wasn't showing up in my account after it had been redeemed, and every time I've gotten generic, unhelpful answers. I will say that the stylist is nice and does a great job. Still not worth the hassle though. I'd highly recommend just getting a Nuuly subscription if you want a more seamless rental box experience. Or something like Stitchfix if you don't like picking out your own clothes, although I've never tried them, but I just assume at this point that any other rental service has a better platform / customer service setup than this one.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My experience with Trunk Club has been unreal. I received my box right in the middle of chaos. We had an unfortunate suicide in the family. I was unable to try on the items and get them back right in the middle of funeral stuff. I emailed them and let them know what was going on. They gave me a couple of day extension. Great. I finally got to go through everything. I liked most of the items but thought overall that they were overpriced. Example, there was a pair of boots that were $250.00. Not worth more than $80.00. Fine back they go. The most hilarious was a pair of cheesy cloth gloves for which the price of $50.00 was ridiculous. Could get them the same pair for $10.00 or less elsewhere.

Anyway, I did find enough items that I liked and boxed the stuff I’m not going to pay for and ship it back. A few days later, I get an email saying that an item was missing and to let them know by a certain date or they would charge the card on file the following date. I look around and, lo and behold, I find the missing item. I let them know and the next day or so they email me a new shipping label. The day after I received the label; I get a message asking me update my card information. I shot back and asked what they were trying to charge because my box was paid for! I finally discovered it was the missing blouse.

I blasted them an email saying that they were illegally were making unauthorized charges. I tell them that I’m shipping the item back. That’s was Friday evening. I get up early Monday morning and take it out to the UPS hub in my area. Meanwhile, they are trying to charge my card AGAIN! This is after I tell them that they did not have authorization.

It is a good thing that my bank recommended that I keep that card locked when not in use. My card had been hacked months ago. I’m so glad that I listened. Otherwise, I would have been out $109.00 for a cheap sateen type blouse! REPREHENSIBLE! It’s a shame. I liked some of the pieces and my stylist was nice and VERY responsive. I fully expected some items to be overpriced but sometimes I might pay extra if I liked it rough. However, their business practices are unscrupulous and nefarious. I would be careful about giving this company credit card information unless you guard your card carefully! BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Okay so I use and have used several subscription services like Trunk Club so I was very sad to see how poorly managed Trunk Club is. I set up my profile, was set up with a stylist right away and she messaged me very promptly asking about what I like etc.... Great start right?! So my schedule is hectic since I travel for work. I set up several weeks in advance to receive a preview and order delivered no later than 11/08/19. Eventually all communications went silent from Trunk Club. The day of the 8th I receive a response saying my stylist is no longer with the company. So basically they didn’t care ahead of time to take care of her clients. Why would they message me the day of, when I need my trunk for an event. Very poorly managed, Trunk Club does not value the consumers at all. I will continue using my other clothing subscription services where I’ve had zero problems.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I have been a Trunk Club subscriber for a few years and visited the clubhouse several times in LA. I had an issue with 2 items where the quality did not last and Trunk Club will not take them back like Nordstrom would normally do. Vince shoes that I have had for a couple of months and a purse where the strap broke within 4 months. BEWARE!!!! Just buy from Nordstrom directly so you have the protection where you can return items if they are defective. I am honestly shocked at the customer service. It is also extremely hard to return items- you cannot simply take them back to a Nordstrom store. Why go through the headache? TERRIBLE practices as a Nordstrom company but one that does not have the same policies and practices that Nordstrom built its entire company on from day one in Seattle!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I worked with a stylist on three different trunks. She asked very little about what I was looking for but I volunteer often and in detail that I was looking for summer work and casual wear: shorts, button up short sleeve shirts, polos, T-shirt’s. I very much felt like my stylist(s) weren’t interested in hearing what I was interested in purchasing. Every box I received included a pair of $150+ sunglasses and $150+ tennis shoes and every-time I requested to not have these items sent again because I wasn’t looking for them right now and they were priced too high. Nonetheless, $150+ sunglasses and shoes appeared in every trunk.

It would often take her 3-4 days to respond to a message or to revise a Trunk after I had requested changes. The stylists didn’t ask any questions about fit or needs outside the questions that you are prompted to answer by the system when you sign in. They seemed entirely disinterested in feedback. They seemed more interested in the $25 fee, and sending my expensive and unwanted items (perhaps in hopes that I wouldn’t send the box back in-time and they could charge me $700). Out of the 40 or so items I was sent I did not keep anything, I found the clothes to be ill-fitting, bland, or tacky. I would not recommend wasting the time

or money on trying this service.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My trunks are scheduled to be received mid month of each month. For the month of April I received a message from my stylist Victoria that my trunk was ready for review. I requested some changes to be made and Victoria was able to edit the changes. The one important thing Victoria forgot was to notify me once the changes were made so I could confirm my trunk and payment.

Victoria made the changes which was okay, but confirmed my trunk and payment without my knowledge. I received a message from her that she made the changes, but when I went to confirm my trunk and payments I could not do so. I did not understand why. I waited another day to see if I could confirm my trunk and received an email from customer service that they were requesting my trunk to be sent back due to insufficient funds. I have informed Victoria via email, that I need to transfer money to the bank for which the credit card information is on file. This is why I wanted to confirm my payment so I know when I'm transferring the funds.

Victoria response to my complaint was: "I see that! It's company policy to have a Trunk sent back if we cannot charge the styling fee. We process hundreds of Trunks a day so we cannot reprocess it. However, once it is returned to our warehouse I can pack a new preview!" No new preview for me, I've been with Stich Fix for almost 2 years and have never experience this. I was so excited about being with Trunk Club! My frustration comes from me not being able to transfer the funds to my bank in a timely fashion and received the same items that was returned and my stylist having to put together a new box for me, because communication was not established that my box would be shipping out.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Trunk Club has poor communication and customer service. I was working with a stylist for my first trunk, which by the way was completely different than what we discussed. Therefore, I did not choose to buy the trunk. When I signed back on to my account later, they had removed my $700 credit award without even communicating to me. I would not recommend this subscription service to any of my peers.

Resolution response: March 22, 2019

While working with customer service was not positive, my stylist made up for it with attentiveness and responsiveness, so they are redeemed in my eyes. But as a Nordstrom company I expect to get a response within 1 business day, and to be more customer service oriented.

Original review: March 22, 2019

You would think a "Nordstrom Company" would offer good customer service but this has been the complete opposite experience. I gave my stylist ample direction and the selections offered to me completely contradicted what direction. Also, the pricing isn't made clear upon sign up. You get charged $25 if you don't purchase anything from your trunk. I only approved one item in my trunk that I was iffy about to begin with --- had I known this I wouldn't have approved it, or I would have selected other items as well to avoid the fee. I learned this after the fact, and have since contacted customer service twice in via email three days and no response. I've called their 800 number and can't get through to anyone -- just lots of hold music. This company is not legit.

Trunk Club author review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Trunk Club is an online styling company from Nordstrom. Order trunks on demand, or sign up for a delivery schedule. Your trunk will contain personalized career wear and weekend styles, depending on your preferences. Trunks are available for both men and women in typical department store sizing, including petite, plus size and maternity. The $25 styling fee is waived for Nordstrom credit card users.

• Trunk Club cost: You’ll pay a $25 styling fee per trunk, which they credit toward any items you purchase. Your styling fee is waived when you use a Nordstrom credit or debit card. You’ll receive 6-10 items per trunk, and the prices reflect those at Nordstrom department stores. You can tell your stylist if you want to stick to a particular budget, but in general expect to pay from $150 to $300 for jeans, $20 to $100 for a T-shirt and $60 to $500 for dresses. Other items might include shoes, jackets, purses, swimwear and more.

• Return policy: Once you receive your trunk, you have five days to decide what you want to keep. Return whatever you don’t want using the included free UPS shipping label.

• Set your delivery schedule: You can set up your trunk delivery on any schedule; monthly shipments are a popular choice, but you can also opt for seasonal delivery or just buy one trunk at a time.

• Trunk Club outfits and styles: After you sign up for Trunk Club, you’ll fill out a style profile with information about your budget, style and size. If you want, share your Pinterest boards with more style ideas. Then your box is curated by a personal shopper, who will email you a preview of the contents of your trunk. You’ll have 48 hours to approve the items before they’re shipped.

by Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Trunk Club Company Information