3.15/5

26 Trunk Club Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 9, 2019

I worked with a stylist on three different trunks. She asked very little about what I was looking for but I volunteer often and in detail that I was looking for summer work and casual wear: shorts, button up short sleeve shirts, polos, T-shirt’s. I very much felt like my stylist(s) weren’t interested in hearing what I was interested in purchasing. Every box I received included a pair of $150+ sunglasses and $150+ tennis shoes and every-time I requested to not have these items sent again because I wasn’t looking for them right now and they were priced too high. Nonetheless, $150+ sunglasses and shoes appeared in every trunk.

It would often take her 3-4 days to respond to a message or to revise a Trunk after I had requested changes. The stylists didn’t ask any questions about fit or needs outside the questions that you are prompted to answer by the system when you sign in. They seemed entirely disinterested in feedback. They seemed more interested in the $25 fee, and sending my expensive and unwanted items (perhaps in hopes that I wouldn’t send the box back in-time and they could charge me $700). Out of the 40 or so items I was sent I did not keep anything, I found the clothes to be ill-fitting, bland, or tacky. I would not recommend wasting the time

or money on trying this service.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My trunks are scheduled to be received mid month of each month. For the month of April I received a message from my stylist Victoria that my trunk was ready for review. I requested some changes to be made and Victoria was able to edit the changes. The one important thing Victoria forgot was to notify me once the changes were made so I could confirm my trunk and payment.

Victoria made the changes which was okay, but confirmed my trunk and payment without my knowledge. I received a message from her that she made the changes, but when I went to confirm my trunk and payments I could not do so. I did not understand why. I waited another day to see if I could confirm my trunk and received an email from customer service that they were requesting my trunk to be sent back due to insufficient funds. I have informed Victoria via email, that I need to transfer money to the bank for which the credit card information is on file. This is why I wanted to confirm my payment so I know when I'm transferring the funds.

Victoria response to my complaint was: "I see that! It's company policy to have a Trunk sent back if we cannot charge the styling fee. We process hundreds of Trunks a day so we cannot reprocess it. However, once it is returned to our warehouse I can pack a new preview!" No new preview for me, I've been with Stich Fix for almost 2 years and have never experience this. I was so excited about being with Trunk Club! My frustration comes from me not being able to transfer the funds to my bank in a timely fashion and received the same items that was returned and my stylist having to put together a new box for me, because communication was not established that my box would be shipping out.

Get expert buying tips about Clothing Subscription Boxes delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Trunk Club has poor communication and customer service. I was working with a stylist for my first trunk, which by the way was completely different than what we discussed. Therefore, I did not choose to buy the trunk. When I signed back on to my account later, they had removed my $700 credit award without even communicating to me. I would not recommend this subscription service to any of my peers.

Resolution response: March 22, 2019

While working with customer service was not positive, my stylist made up for it with attentiveness and responsiveness, so they are redeemed in my eyes. But as a Nordstrom company I expect to get a response within 1 business day, and to be more customer service oriented.

Original review: March 22, 2019

You would think a "Nordstrom Company" would offer good customer service but this has been the complete opposite experience. I gave my stylist ample direction and the selections offered to me completely contradicted what direction. Also, the pricing isn't made clear upon sign up. You get charged $25 if you don't purchase anything from your trunk. I only approved one item in my trunk that I was iffy about to begin with --- had I known this I wouldn't have approved it, or I would have selected other items as well to avoid the fee. I learned this after the fact, and have since contacted customer service twice in via email three days and no response. I've called their 800 number and can't get through to anyone -- just lots of hold music. This company is not legit.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I feel like my stylist took what I told her and threw it out the window. I've had three trunks and last two were hideous. It seems they throw in whatever they feel like without actually styling you. My second trunk I felt pressured to buy something because of the fee, I am selling that item on Poshmark because it was horrible. My last trunk was the worst, horrible clothes, actually ugly clothing, and now I want to cancel and get my styling fee back because I wasn't styled, and the only way I get it back is if I get another stylist... No.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trunk Club?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I requested a trunk for an outdoor wedding in January. No one responded for 3 days. I emailed my “stylist” asking if she needed more information. She said no and sent me a trunk to review later that day. She styled a blue jean jacket and opened-toe shoes. Everything else was also way too casual for a wedding. I feel like they just send whatever they need to sell. No personalization at all.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I really enjoy using Trunk Club. I would definitely recommend it for Nordstrom cardholder users because the fee is waived and it is like a faster and easier way of shopping. I am in my first year of using this service, and in each box I receive I at least find one piece I love. And, honestly, I am a big fashion person and sometimes just having that extra piece that I would not find on my own is worth it. Especially when it comes to occasions for work or a wedding. I would say that I wish they added or included a point system into the purchase like using a double point or triple point day since my bulk shopping is transforming to Trunk Club than online or in the store.

I also like my stylist. I find her friendly and helpful. My work addressing unconscious bias in health, and I feel that going to the store there is always the chance or I have experienced feeling passed over because I do not look or dress the part that they want to sell to. For a working professional as myself, time feels like it is becoming more and more limited and precious. I want to use it most effectively. That does not mean I do not go to the stores anymore, but usually when I do I know what I want. For idle or creative shopping, this is a nice addition. I can't afford to do it as often as I would like, but having a box once every season is nice.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Trunk Club sent me a pair of jeans that were without tags and had horizontal crease marks (from sitting down) at the bend of the knee, and stress creases at the button and zipper. The jeans fit so I decided to keep them, despite the fact they were worn and the tags were missing. However, I tried to send back an ill fitting hoodie and they refused to take it back, citing policy of not taking back worn or washed items.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I tried Trunk Club for about a year and really wanted to like it, but it turned out to be a very frustrating experience each month. I had two different stylists, neither of whom listened to any of my feedback that I had given about price range, colors, and style preferences. Despite giving constant feedback on each and every piece in every preview and trunk, I felt like both stylists sent stuff that they personally would want to wear instead of what would look good on my body type. I found myself just keeping the cheapest thing in the trunk each month, even if I didn't love it, just to avoid having to pay the $25 styling fee they charge when you don't keep anything.

I would consistently receive items well above my price range. Even things like colors were a challenge. I would say every month that I didn't want anything black (simple enough, right?) and every single time there would be multiple black items in my trunk preview. If you say you don't want button down shirts? They will send you button downs every month. If you say you want colorful tops? They will send you brown and beige and the ugliest shade of vomit-yellow they can find.

The thing that put me over the edge and finally made me cancel my subscription is that after saying no less than 5 times that I didn't want pants over $100 and didn't want any skinny cut pants, my stylist packed 2 pairs of skinny cut pants - one that was $125 and one that was $150. Along with 3 black items. And a button down. When I asked point blank why my feedback wasn't being taken into account, Madison "apologized" with no explanation and simply said my feedback was being taken into account. Well... sorry folks, it's obviously not if I'm getting items that I've clearly and repeatedly said I don't want. Why would I continue to pay for a service where I'm not being listened to and constantly frustrated every month? No thanks!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Great selection of clothes. The only thing keeping it from 5 star is that my stylist is not as communicative as she should be. 25 is not unreasonable especially since it's applied towards your purchase. With 12 items you have to like one of them unless you did not tell your stylist what you're looking for.

Trunk Club expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Trunk Club is an online styling company from Nordstrom. Order trunks on demand, or sign up for a delivery schedule. Your trunk will contain personalized career wear and weekend styles, depending on your preferences. Trunks are available for both men and women in typical department store sizing, including petite, plus size and maternity. The $25 styling fee is waived for Nordstrom credit card users.

• Trunk Club cost: You’ll pay a $25 styling fee per trunk, which they credit toward any items you purchase. Your styling fee is waived when you use a Nordstrom credit or debit card. You’ll receive 6-10 items per trunk, and the prices reflect those at Nordstrom department stores. You can tell your stylist if you want to stick to a particular budget, but in general expect to pay from $150 to $300 for jeans, $20 to $100 for a T-shirt and $60 to $500 for dresses. Other items might include shoes, jackets, purses, swimwear and more.

• Return policy: Once you receive your trunk, you have five days to decide what you want to keep. Return whatever you don’t want using the included free UPS shipping label.

• Set your delivery schedule: You can set up your trunk delivery on any schedule; monthly shipments are a popular choice, but you can also opt for seasonal delivery or just buy one trunk at a time.

• Trunk Club outfits and styles: After you sign up for Trunk Club, you’ll fill out a style profile with information about your budget, style and size. If you want, share your Pinterest boards with more style ideas. Then your box is curated by a personal shopper, who will email you a preview of the contents of your trunk. You’ll have 48 hours to approve the items before they’re shipped.

• Best for: men and women who want high-quality clothing and accessories, especially people with Nordstrom credit cards.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Trunk Club Company Information