3.7/5 (605 ratings)

About Sling TV

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

Pros

• Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts

Cons

• Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Bottom Line

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

Sling TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

There a thing used to be for you to get rid of cable TV. Well, cable TV is looking more and more appealing every day because Sling keeps jacking up their prices for like what do I get 20 channels? The right heights are completely absurd and it’s not like the service is any better if anything it’s worse. Cuts out all the time, buffers, and it is not my Internet. Half the time I have to completely disconnect because Sling is jacked up. Don’t waste your money. Stick with cable or satellite. Absolute joke that they raise the rates as much as they have. I think it’s gone up $20 since I started with them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I signed up to watch the Soccer World Cup games, and even though they were advertised and shown in their interface, the one I tried to watch had a glitch and wasn't being streamed. When clicking on the link to the game, a glitch would start streaming something else. What is infuriating is that I couldn't request a refund for my subscription.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

We've switched away from Sling because it's an extremely poor TV provider. Constant buffering, continual pixilation and weekly rebooting. It may be less expensive but the daily frustration, excuses and poor quality is way over the top. Don't bother with Sling.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I switched from cable to Sling about 2 years ago, after I could no longer justify the exorbitant cost of cable & the constant price increases. For me, it's been a decent alternative. The problem I have is the amount of ad time keeps getting worse. To watch ANY on demand program, there is a never ending loop of 6-7 minutes of ads before the program even starts. After it starts, for a 1 hr program, there are 17-20 minutes of time they play ads. It's becoming a deal breaker and I'm starting to look into other alternatives.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Wouldn’t recommend to anyone. I cancelled my account and a month later was still billed. Tried to get a refund and they said because I contacted them

a day after being charged, they couldn’t refund me because it’s policy. Hadn’t even been 24 hours since I was billed and they wouldn’t refund my money back. Had to dispute the charge with my bank after it posted because it was still in pending status. Biggest ripoff ever. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I was Sling TV customer for about 6-7 years. I would say 75% of the entire duration of me being a Sling customer I received POOR service. The channels are ALWAYS going in and out. Then to make things worst, when you get tired of being robbed paying for a product you are not receiving you call asking for a credit then they give you $5. I have had Youtube TV for the last couple months and it is waaaay better than Sling and worth it, I should of switched years ago.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I am so disappointed with my hour and a half experience with Sling. I joined it for one reason only which was to watch a college football game. There were plenty of glitches before they got my money only to discover that they don't offer the very coverage I was looking for. Prior to joining I checked in two places for BTN and ESPN. Sling said they offered the coverage I wanted. After going round in circles there is no streaming for that game in spite of being advertised. I never used it and they refuse to return the money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I had signed up myself and my mom for Sling but she wasn't using hers so I cancelled it on 2/8/22. We received the cancellation confirmation which took effect for a couple months but then on 5/26 they started charging my CC again. I didn't notice it right away because I still used Sling on my tv. They charged my CC for 5 months and refuse to refund me my money. They stated they would send me an email stating they have removed my CC from their records but that hasn't happened. They are a horrible company to deal with and won't do anything to help you, even when you speak to the manager, Leo. Make sure you delete the app from your tv because even if you accidentally open the app they will start charging your card again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Sling TV. For everyone who subscribes to Sling TV you should be aware that Sling TV has lost their contract with Disney resulting in the loss of the following channels: Disney Channel, Disney Jr, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN 3, ESPN OnDemand, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN Deportes, ACC Network, ACC Network Extra, Longhorn Network, SEC Network, SEC+, Freeform, FX, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo, ABC News Live, Jimmy Kimmel Live, BabyTV, BabyTV Arabic, BabyTV French, BabyTV Latino, BabyTV Mandarin, BabyTV, Polish, BabyTV Portuguese.

Sling TV is not notifying their customer about the loss of these channels. Currently, the only way to find out about these channel losses is to either call Sling TV or go to their website. Sling TV is not changing their package cost and they are refusing to provide any refunds. If you would like to contact Sling TV their phone is 888-363-1777.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Recently Sling changed their interface and in every single instance I find it to be worse, not better. The menu system now takes multiple clicks to get to recorded programs. Searching for on demand shows takes longer. For example, once you finally select a show, you have to click through each season instead of scrolling back. To watch Chopped season one, it took me over 60 clicks. And then it no longer shows me which episodes have already been watched, like the old version did. Recording a series takes several screens and multiple clicks. In the old version, I could click record and select whether I wanted an episode or the whole series.

The resume function was moved and takes more clicks to go back to where I was watching an episode earlier. When I want to record a show on local channels, I now have to scroll through guide from now until the show airs, through every hour of every day. The old way, I could select a day to search. Every change they made in this recent update made viewing worse instead of better. We have been on Sling for years, but I am now researching other options. This new version is not worth the headaches.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I had someone hack my account and order a $100.00 pay per view event. Sling did not help me resolve the matter. They couldn’t tell me the location the hacked order came from. They did not credit the $100.00. We can’t afford to pay 100.00 for something we didn’t order so we cancelled. Know that if you have Sling and someone hacks your account you're going to have to pay for it. And Sling won’t care.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I only watch live tv during football season, so I was looking for a streaming service that would give me the best value for the money. Despite not needing most the channels offered, I did buy purchase the Orange and Blue package and added on the SEC Network. I thought I was "upgrading" in order to share three screens. Waste of time and money. There's no local coverage, so many college football and almost all NFL games are unavailable. On top of that, you can only share screens with a few channels, not the package. Switching to FUBO, much better experience.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I decided to try Sling because they ran an advertisement on my Roku device. It worked relatively well for about a month then one day all five devices I used stopped work for only the Sling TV app. Just to be clear Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount, HBO Max and Disney still worked. I could also access Sling TV through my laptop so it's obvious my internet, account and the channels I wanted to watch were fine. This was the day after an update of the app. This was 29 days ago. I tried all the troubleshooting I can think of with no success before accessing their support through chat. Chat was glitchy and slow at best and basically all they do is go through basic troubleshooting steps before they submit to the engineering department.

As said this was 29 days ago. I accessed help multiple times, asked to do the same trouble shooting steps and this issue was "escalated" at least 4 times. No matter who or how many times I asked I was told there was no way to communicate with the engineering department but I could be assured they were working around the clock to solve this issue except for the time I was told they were not working on it because I was the only customer who complained. This kind of conflicted with other statements. I was also told this issue must be on my end and most likely not anything to do with Sling TV.

One other thing I notice was during this period the app updated 4 times. The second time it worked for the few days until it updated again. To make this even worse even after it is fixed, and after it turns out to be a Sling TV issue the Sling TV people are adamant that I will receive no credit for the days I couldn't use the service I paid for. So with that I say be aware, these guys care little about the customer or providing good customer service.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I signed up for Sling for the price and channel choices, which are good. But they have a problem delivering commercials. They often don't align with the ads from the network you are watching so there will be blank spots after the commercials you watch while you wait for the content to return or worse, commercials will randomly begin in the middle of the program you are watching where there is clearly not supposed to be a commercial. This morning I turned on the TV and the first 9 minutes were purely commercials with literally about 2 7 second blips of content that were interrupted (mid sentence) by commercial again! The program that was supposed to start at 5am didn't show up until 5:03 after it had already started.

What's worse, I wanted to send them an email, because this is a common problem and is frustrating, but the only way to contact them is through a chatbot! I came to them from YouTube TV which had similar issues at a much higher price. But, at this point it's feeling like one of those game apps you download that exist simply to put ads in your face. In these 30 minutes of watching so far this morning at least 20 minutes have been commercials. Today there's been some variety, but usually it's the same 4-5 ads over and over.

There are other glitchy cases as well. If I try to start the broadcast with my Google assistant (which is supported) it will usually start playing, but will sputter soon after and never play continuously. I have to go back and load the content with my remote. That was an advantage of YouTube TV. I wish Sling would work on this or would have a feedback process, but if they do, I can't find it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

We cancelled our Sling account in September of 2020, we can only figure that a guest must have accidentally logged onto our Sling account March 2022 and they automatically re-activated our account. My husband did not notice until 5 months later that Sling was billing our credit card. When I contacted Sling, they would only refund one of the 5 months that we were billed, without authorizing them to re-activate our account. If you do have a Sling account and cancel your account, I highly recommend changing your password on your laptop, so that it does not match what is on your TVs and then REMOVE SLING from EVERY television, so that you do not get charged unknowingly like we did. Very Unsatisfied with how Sling handled this, if they can tell which Roku activated the account, they can also see that we have not used Sling since that one accidental guest log on.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I decided to try Sling TV. They didn't offer me a free trial. I paid for 1 month of service. Every other day they were experiencing technical problems so I could not watch Sling. They wouldn't make it right with me. No refund not another month. So their screw up. I paid for services and didn't get full use of it. Wow. Great customer service if you like getting ripped off.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Noticed that local channels were missing. Contacted Sling. They blamed Roku and my internet provider. After going round and round with them, they agreed to update the IP address within their app by 8 pm EST. It is now 9 pm EST and no local channels. They promised they would change the IP address back to DFW but it is still being broadcast from Nebraska. I've had their service for several years and this never happened. Recently, they've managed to hire some IT people who have no clue what they're doing. They want to blame everyone else instead of fixing their issue. I'm canceling this service. Do not use Sling. Their customers are absolutely last!! Run. Get a different provider.

Original review: July 25, 2022

At first this was fine. Slowly over time they removed channels and upped their price. And there’s a minimum of three kick outs every single time you open the app before it actually allows you to watch anything. And As of the last 30 days it keeps telling me “we’re sorry that program is unavailable try again later”. And it does that for every single channel, over and over and over and over and over. Not sure what happened to the service but it is getting increasingly worse.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I got both Blue and Orange. Channels on Orange can be viewed only one device at a time and annoying. Some time, I am watching ESPN and my wife turns in ESPN2 on her cell and it kicks me out. Kind of silly to add another Orange package for $35 to be able to watch on 2 devices. Why Blue gets 3 devices, but Orange only gets 1? Sling TV should consider change this for subscriber to both packages! If not, will have to find another streaming service that support multiple devices.

Original review: July 2, 2022

What a waste...I found maybe 2 channels I can watch...really upset waste. I wish for a refund, that' #Slingboo. Just very disappointed. Expected better. Will not recommend at all...got to do better. People are struggling right now.

Original review: June 20, 2022

We gave it a try, as we were caught by the respectively cheap price in comparison to YouTube TV. We bought the basic package and added the news channel on Top. SLING has been failing us in each single dimension the WHOLE TIME. Here are some REGULAR Examples YOU WILL FACE:

1) SLING Freezes. While watching TV, it just stops and then nothing happens. The only way to get control of your TV is to switch it off and on again.
2) You open the channel up and it Buffers (see photos attached) FOREVER. The only way to come out is to switch the TV Off.
3) Customer service is absolutely useless. All they know is to blame your internet provider. Note that 24 months using YouTube TV the same WIFI was NEVER a problem.
4) Customer service: all they know is to let you switch the TV off, unplug, wait and re-plug. I did this operation in 3 days more often than in my whole life.
5) Customer service: wrote for support many times to the customer service, got an automatic EMAIL and then NEVER hear from them back.
6) Even when you click on the webpages above, there is no link.

7) Service: once you have paid, your money is GONE. SO even if you shut down this useless “TV provider” your money is GONE.

Original review: June 18, 2022

As an alternative to every increasing cable rates, I switched to Sling recently. Price is $40, with many popular channels. I added the News package for $5, and enjoy far more news channels domestic and foreign. Now the really bad: the service has gone dark several times for times as long as an hour or two, sometimes shorter. Second, the DVR feature doesn't work well. Record a program, and find recording begins halfway through! Or, fails to record it. Disappointing to find a program was never recorded. Third, they insert their own commercials, often ending after the program resumes. Terrible engineering. The engineers need to go to work early and fix Sling.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I fully understand that I'm not paying for their 'ad free' service, but in practice, they insert their ads with no regard to when or where, so they will interrupt newscasts in mid sentence. Their ads are egregious, and in all respects, they're no better than the many free services available through Roku.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I've been getting charge for a subscription I did not receive. Someone else had a subscription with another email using the service but I got billed. Read your statements. This site will not refund me my money for something I had no control over. This is a rip off!!!

Original review: May 19, 2022

I tried giving Sling another chance after my 2016 service plan. I wasn't that impress with it at that time because the content was old shows and lots of ads. It was not as $$ as it is now so I had a little more patience and forgiveness. It was a fairly new company and I figured they needed time to figure out what was working and how to improve.

Fast forward to 2022 the service is ten times WORSE! please do not waste your money on this streaming service. I was so disappointed with the TNT NBA Western Conference game from TNT. I started an hour early to get in with hopes of smooth streaming.. I was dead wrong! During the broadcast it buffers every 2 seconds. HOWEVER, during the commercials, there is about 50% less interruptions. Okay so I am annoyed but trying to figure out if I am going to keep this. Well, my answer came when SLING started showing the NBS basketball game with the 1st qtr almost OVER! Are you kidding me!?!?

I had been on Sling watching the pre-game show and then they skipped "tip-off." I am done! I went to the website to request a "Refund" but they do not offer it. SO, they got me for the 17.50 BUT not again! My friend says she is leaving too for similar reasons. I cannot / WILL NOT sign up with them again. They do not seem to care about quality of service but quantity of subscribers. DON'T DO IT!

Original review: May 18, 2022

I subscribed to Sling Blue that included $5 DVR Plus as an extra. I cancelled the $5 DVR Plus feature several days before my new billing period and it said this online and this was something that I checked several times to make sure so that I would not be charged for this on my next bill. However, I was charged for this anyway and contacted customer service to get a refund as this was a problem that was clearly their fault. The customer service rep would not refund the $5 and kept saying that Sling was a prepay service and did not give refund. He seemed a lot more interested in helping me cancel my account. I did cancel after this. Apparently Sling does not give refunds not matter the cause. NO REFUNDS whatsoever! Does not matter if it was their mistake or not. I'm not sure how they keep customers.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I want to reiterate several of the reviews on the website. My experience with Sling was very poor. When we had the service, it hardly worked and it did not work 90% of the time with poor quality. We cancelled the service in October 2021 and somehow it was reactivated without anyone’s permission in Jan/Feb 2022. We called Sling in March 2022 to dispute the charge. They said they would cancel the service: however, 1 month later, we got another charge. We disputed both charges with our credit card and only got money back for one of the charges in April 2022. Sling refuses to give us our money back from the erroneous reactivation. Clearly, we can see a disturbing pattern with this company conning customers.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Sling is so awful, 90% of the time I can't watch what I'm selecting because of technical problems or it takes 4-5 attempts and getting booted out to watch it. Also, it keeps making sign in. It's not my wifi provider because I used to have AT&T now, never had this problem, but they raised my monthly plan to $85/mo. Also, I never have this problem with Netflix or Prime. Sling sucks!!!

Original review: April 21, 2022

The love Sling after Dish started charging me a lot more when I put my account on vacation hold. Cut the cord and try Sling. I got three free days to try it out. I am saving lots of money. I watch CNN, MSNBC, HGTV and even get some local channels. I don't understand some of the bad reviews on here.

Original review: April 18, 2022

The amount of commercials is beyond belief. Sling forgets that we pay for their service but we simply don't exist to them, only the massive amount of advertisers count. Go make a sandwich and come back & the commercials will still be playing! I'm cancelling, suggest you all do as well!

Sling TV Company Information