2.15/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Sling TV

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

41 Sling TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Within 2 hours of starting my free 7-day trial I canceled my service with Sling TV. When speaking to the customer service rep I was notified that it would be canceled. 13 months and many contacts later they were finally able to cancel it. They charge my bank account every month 26 plus dollars and I never once signed into it. They are totally refusing to refund any of the money during the time frame I was trying to do the cancellations. It is ridiculous if they were able to take that long to cancel me and I feel that they may be doing this to other people. I don't understand what would have taken so long to finally cancel my account. Sling is a big rip off. The customer service is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have Spectrum. Funny thing is I get a "check your network". As if it's my internet fault that Sling doesn't work. But yet again Netflix and all my other apps work perfectly fine. Sling blames my network "Spectrum". But if it was my network nothing else would work. Only Spectrum doesn't work so it's a Sling problem. Will be cancelling soon. Stay away from Sling. No good!!! Can't even watch Versace!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Scammers! Are to say the least. I tried the 7 day free trial and as I am cancelling the service they decides to charge me anyways. I have to say the customer reps were very rude, unprofessional. I decided to make a complaint with my bank to let them know that I had not approve this charge and as a result I got the money back only to have to deal with Sling TV stating that I was in the wrong for the stop payment action. Everyone has a right to the own opinion. The bank customer service advise me to file a police report because it is actually fraud that they are doing. It is sad that a company like this exist because they are so rude, I was hung up on twice not to mention put on hold until I hung up and called back just to speak with uneducated floor supervisor that I pretty sure was listening the whole time I was on the call. Very disrespectful company and I don't advise anyone to use this service. Not even for the free trial.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Sling TV is not "a la carte". The truth is that they're not substantially different from any other cable content provider. In fact they're not as good as most other cable providers in that there are channels they simply don't carry at all yet (like FoxNews) and they don't even carry all basic network channels in all markets. For instance in ours they don't carry ABC. At all. (Deal killer for my Bachelor-watching wife.)

Also they are not the cheapest. By the time you factor in all the add-ons and hidden fees (they mysteriously charged a hidden $11 fee in addition to sign up without telling me they'd be doing that), they are actually more expensive. Most offensively though, they are highly gotcha-minded and predatory. If you unwisely choose to cut your cable cord (and I was all about that because I hate cable providers) and throw yourself into the Sling experience, be sure and hire yourself a lawyer to study the 6 point font and tell you what all it means. They pack a lot of stuff that favors them and not you into the fine print, in other words. CAVEAT EMPTOR with Sling. To da max!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I have had Sling TV for 3 months and the service has been problematic. It will shut off for no reason, disconnect and sometimes my channels don't show up at all. I attempted to chat online with a rep and my experience was awful. I tried calling to ask for a credit to my account since my service has not been working properly and they informed me that they do not give any partial credits, even if the service doesn't work properly! When I said that I felt this was unreasonable, the supervisor representative took it as a personal attack and told me she doesn't make the rules, as if I was talking about her and not the entity of Sling TV.

I told them that I was unhappy with my service and would be canceling my subscription and they didn't seem to care. This is very surprising for a new company, you would think they would want to keep all of their customers at this point. I was only looking for a partial credit for my interrupted service, I would have been happy with a $5 credit but they refused! DO NOT GET THIS SERVICE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE UNHAPPY AND YOU WILL NOT GET ANY REFUND WHEN YOUR SERVICE STOPS WORKING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Be warned! Sling TV will trick you into ordering services/products that you do not want and had no intention of ordering. Their website is loaded with micro print “agreements” that you will click on locking you into bills that you cannot get out of. This company is a SCAM! They currently have a C rating on BBB with thousands of unresolved complaints. Further, Sling TV has an absolute no refund policy. It makes no difference to Sling TV if you are unhappy with your service or are tricked into ordering products/services that you do not want. The customer service is very rude and will do nothing to resolve your issue. STAY AWAY FROM SLING TV.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Sling TV is worst service provider. The quality of channels is worst, they hang all the time. I purchased 3 months subscription on 01/07 and requested them to cancel the subscription because of bad quality and refund the remaining account. However they refused to refund the amount and advised to continue watching the channels.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Went one day over and they charged me. Mind was on the government shutdown because husband's in military and forgot. Just worrying about how I’m going to pay my bills and put food in my kid's mouth. And this just adds to my stress level. Got rid of cable because it was too much. Now have to deal with not get my money back from Sling TV. Won’t give me my refund. Don’t recommend this. Hulu is better. Channels always look like pixels. Not good for someone who already has eye issues.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I was charged for an additional month of service even though I cancelled the service on the due date. I was informed that I was a few minutes late in cancelling. I feel that this is an unfair business practice and that people should beware of it.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The commercials repeat and repeat and repeat. I don't need to see a guy dressed like a girl with a nose ring on Love & Hip Hop or pansy girls talking about "I married an artist, like, yeah". Nobody cares! We cancelled my fiance's subscription cause it costs as much as cable and doesn't play Trevor Noah's loud mouth 5 times in a row! Commercials start and skip to the next one in the middle and repeat. "Teachers" commercials are not what I want my kids to watch. Awful awful experience!!! Go for cable! Dish! Anything but Sling.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

We tried out Sling for a week and weren't sold on it yet so we canceled our trial. The next day our account was reactivated without authorization and we logged in to cancel it again. I checked my bank account and saw they charged me for this reactivation so we called into customer service and they were like, "Yeah no problem. We'll refund you that amount just go ahead and send us your initial cancellation email." (From the first time we canceled before it was reactivated).

We sent the email and received a response saying its be 1-2 business days ok cool. I get an email today saying that our account is still active and that its a nonrefundable service so they cant reimburse us. Ummm are you kidding me?!?! First, my account is not active as I canceled it. Two, I spent about 30 minutes on hold just to speak with someone for the first time. Three, after we finally got an agent, they assured us it was no issue. Currently having some words with their customer service department for some hypocritical statements and you best believe I'm going to get my refund and it'll be the last time I ever have contact with this company.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Beware of overcharging, misrepresentations, and being called names by Sling TV customer service. I signed up for Sling Blue hoping to watch some football. In the sign up process, there is a blue tab labeled "show my available sports networks." Using a Google Chrome browser on a Windows 10 machine, I clicked the tab which then prompted me to enter my home address. After entering my address, the Sling TV webpage displayed a number of available channels, including FOX and various FOX sports channels. I signed up for Sling Blue, hopeful that this would be a positive experience.

Much to my chagrin, after signing up, I found FOX was not actually available for my local area and while technically the various FOX sports channels were available, they all showed "off-air" for every time slot and provided no programming. So, Sling provides channels with no content? Weird. Later, the customer service folks told me that I was "stupid" and there is another place in the website where I am supposed to check for channel availability in my area - not sure why they would have multiple locations to check, only one of which is truthful. I'm not sure that makes me stupid, but even if it does, I've never had a customer service representative be so brazen as to call me stupid.

I called to cancel my service under the argument that the website sign-up purported to provide me with a certain service, I agreed to give Sling TV money in exchange for the service, and then Sling TV did not provide the service. Lynnette (ID: ITP) and others at Sling TV told me that in 2018, it was not possible to refund me the $60 of prepaid service. This was doubly frustrating as I thought I had signed up for a seven day free trial, but apparently clicked the wrong combination of buttons and accidentally signed up for a prepaid subscription.

I find it odd that after clicking "watch now 7 days free" there is an option to do the opposite and prepay two months of service. Maybe I goofed something up, but it seems deceitful to me to have a two month prepay option pop up after selecting the option to "watch now 7 days free" and then refuse to refund the money after I obviously made a mistake and after Sling TV didn't even provide the service they said I was paying for.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I signed up for a seven day free trial and after trying to cancel after a few days from a horrible channel lineup. They had already charged me over $100. They said I canceled my free trial a minute after setting it up to sign up for a two month prepaid special. I told the representative I remember their website not working very well and she admitted by my activity that obviously there was a problem with their website. Unfortunately she could not issue a refund but I would be called in a few days from someone who could. After a week I got a generic email, basically saying I'm s.o.l. This company is the worst. Do not even sign up for a free trial, you will regret it. Wish I had never even heard of this company, never experienced anything like this.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Sling TV is the worst when it comes to customer service. We order HBO and Showtime and had a difficult time in connecting to both channels. Customer service said, "No worries, we will escalate this to Tech Support." One week later and still no service. I requested my money back but they said, "Nope can't do it". I asked even though you did have not provided me the service. They said yes no refund. Ask to speak to a supervisor which went nowhere. I then asked to speak to customer service manager and guess what, They don't take calls. A bit arrogant I think. Could be a great service but from a customer service standpoint, they are the worst.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I wish I could give them 0 star but unfortunately there is no option for that. I subscribed their service on 28th Dec 2018 and that did not work. I changed the email ID and subscribed again and it worked. I have canceled my subscription the very same day and kept the subscription. They charged me twice and one time they charged wife's account so in total they charged us $74 instead of $26. I called their customer care and they said that they wont refund my money. I will never use this service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I kept having trouble watching a couple series which had a good number of episodes available for viewing. I would get to 3 or 5 episodes, then no more episodes would be available. One night, after 45 minutes of rebooting, switching my locations, changing how programs streamed, etc, the other episodes suddenly appeared and I was able to watch 3 more episodes. The next night I went back to that program and was, again, cut off after 5 episodes. After retrying the numerous steps to get my streaming to kick in, I finally opted to call for Sling online tech support. I was informed that Sling cannot control how I watch the episodes or whether they are even actually available, as the streaming station they represented has full control of what they will "allow" us to watch and when.

When I asked why my option to watch many episodes of a program the previous night wasn't limited, why suddenly would I not be permitted to continue watching the remaining episodes but only have the first 5 episodes available. Sling representative said he couldn't answer that question because what I have access to is completely up to the station that owns the series and Sling has no say so in it. So there's no guarantee that the motivating factor (show) for purchasing Sling TV will be available to a consumer on any given day. What's the point of paying Sling TV if they can't guarantee I'll be able to watch the programs they (sometimes) offer? So I cancelled my subscription.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I started calling Sling in mid-November 2017 about this issue. Glitching, random repeating of previous 5 seconds of a show, freezing, kicking out, and error messages. Sling's response everyone is, "We sent a message to engineering". I called Xmas Eve. Still complained. No resolution and they caused my family to miss all major holiday shows from Halloween to Xmas. Sling customer service has no updates as their policy is send it and forget it! Engineering doesn't provided CS any updates and this was identified as widespread. Be aware what looks like a great streaming service on the surface becomes a nightmare if you have to call them which by the way it's always a person in the Philippines. Piss poor customer service and piss poor followed and resolution. So if you are ok with no Customer Service when needed go with Sling. I have already started researching other streaming options.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I just wanted to post this for people who aren’t sure about Sling TV. I’ve been going back and forth with whether I want sling tv or not for the past few months. So, I’ve used a couple free trials. I kept forgetting the passwords and emails. So, finally in October I decided to buy it. I got the Sling Orange with the 4 add ons, making it $40 a month. There were a few things that annoyed me about the service, loud commercials, fast forward and rewind not working on most channels, the app closing down in the middle of a movie. But, I hadn’t decide to cancel yet.

My problem came today. I seen on my banking account that I had a $39.99 dollar charge from sling last week and then Christmas Eve I had another $25 dollar charge from Sling. So, I just figured I’d contact them and let them know I am not using the $25 dollar account, only the $39.99 account. Well, it’s not so easy to contact them. I first waited for the email with their customer service number, but that was taking forever. So, I decided to speak with them through the chat option. I explained my problem and she was happy to help. She explained she canceled that account but I would have access to it through January 24th.

I explained that I don’t need access because I have the other account and that I would just like the account canceled and closed down and a refund for the $25. She then said this “At this time, I am unable to provide a refund or credit because Sling is a prepaid service and we do not provide refunds or credits for prepaid or partial months.” I was just baffled. They know I am using their service, I’ve paid for it for 3 months now, and yet they can’t credit my account for the extra unused account? So, just be careful if you’re using Sling.

They cannot credit your account under any circumstances. That is a concern for me, when a company cannot offer credits even when it’s appropriate I can no longer trust them with my debit card. Sling TV does NOT give credits under any circumstances. They have access to your card every single month and if they make a mistake as they did with mine they will NOT credit you. That’s where I draw the line. I canceled my account today and I will never go back. For the cost of the subscription the streaming service should be of better quality, without commercials, and with a lot better customer service.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

The application constantly keeps crashing even though my internet is perfectly fine on other devices, and even though they say that they'll give you "7 days free" they'll stop your service as soon as you hit cancel even though other similar services will honor the whole trial.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Don't even try the "7 day free trial." It was neither of those things. They don't actually count the days, they count from the minute you sign up. I signed up on the 9th and was told by customer service that I should have cancelled on the 15th and that the 16th was too late. They charged me for a full month in advance even though I cancelled the day they charged me and I can't even use their service! It's terrible. So slow to load and glitched back to the home screen multiple times while I was trying to view different programs. I honestly can't believe this is all legal. I think I'll be contacting the FCC since that seems to be the only way to get things done with them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I started a 7 day free trial, during that trial I of course tested the stations that were included. Being pleased with Sling overall, I continued with the subscription. After being told at the beginning that I'd be billed 19.99 per month, I saw that 24.99 was taken out of my account. I figured the extra $5.00 included any taxes and fees associated with the start up of services so I didn't call and make a fuss about it. The following month, I realized again that they'd charged me 24.99. I called inquiring about the $5.00 charge, only to be told that the $5 is for extra channels that are included in the 7 day free trial. The problem is, this was NOT stated when I signed up for the free trial, nor was it mentioned when I called during the free trial!

When I spoke to a representative, instead of refunding me for their mistake, she told me that she couldn't because the billing cycle had already passed, however, she could pro-rate me for the next cycle - so I still miss out of 5 bucks. Of course I then ask to speak with a supervisor, who took her precious time coming to the phone, only to be told the same thing. My anger does not come from the stupid $5 that would not be refunded but the horrible advertisement and customer service I experienced with this company. I am canceling my service next month and letting everyone know about this greedy, self-absorbed company. There are so many other cable alternative companies out there who will treat you a lot better and that's where I plan to be!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Two months in a row, I canceled the add-on movie service Cinemax on their online system. They continued to bill me. Today I called and spent an hour on hold waiting for a supervisor in their customer service. He was completely inflexible on anything. He canceled my movie subscription but would not offer any refunds. Service is fine when it works, just don't expect any kind of support from customer service. Refunds seem to not be an option. I know customer service is driven by company policy. Customer service at this company is a joke.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I tried the 7 day trial and the service was awful. Could not stream. It would take 3-4 hours to get through a 1.5 hour movie. After the 7 day trial they charged me 40 bucks a month for 5 months that I am still fighting. NEVER do the free trial as you will be charged even if you don't use their service. They are a scam and every time I have called to discuss it with someone they argue. Twice now they have gotten my email address wrong and blame it on me. I will NEVER use this service again due to the treatment.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The price as compared to cable television is worth it. Lots of sports channels with varied content and I am able to watch most channels that I like however, I do not watch a lot of tv. I’d like the availability of more content for example some major sporting events are missed. The Olympic coverage was offered but not in my area. Many people would want Fox news (not me) to be available or other major news.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I love everything about the company. They are very fair when it comes to what you want and also choosing the service you want. It offers all the channels I need and some more extra. It's a full service I love to deal with. It is definitely a great service and I will always recommend this company to a friend or a family member.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I lost my credit card! Got a new one! Forgot to update my billing information. Last night my Sling TV was cancelled by them! Called! They said they could not give me my old price because my subscription was cancelled, by them! Called today they said the same thing! I have been with them for a long time! They have a referral system! I will not be giving them any referrals! Both people said that's their policy! People make those policies! They can be changed!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

You can either watch live or on demand and it has all the channels my wife likes to watch, and her favorite shows. You can get movie channels also. It has most of the same channels as cable services. It has the Food Network shows like Beat Bobby Flay, MasterChef, History channel, with shows like Pawn Stars, HGTV, Property Brothers. But, buffering the programming cuts out and stops broadcasting and you have to reset it. Some of the menus are hard to follow sometimes that the on demand shows will not work.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Sling TV came recommended by others to me. This service is convenient, low cost, and easy to use. But I would like there to be more channel variety in each package. It seems like they split up channels so that you have to buy more than one package. Other than that, it's an improvement from regular cable because you don't have to pay for channels you don't use.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Sling TV has a pretty good selection of tv shows to watch and a lot of channels available. There are also movies that can be watched although not as much of a selection as I would hope for and there are very few available that I can actually watch without paying an extra fee. But I like Sling TV because I don’t have cable and this streaming service allows me to watch channels on the tv that I normally wouldn’t be able to watch.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Sling TV is very affordable and when you are on a tight budget that's great. The kids love it and can watch all their favorites. It has loads of channels though and lots of choice of all the usual TV as it's basically just broadcasting normal TV. It could have more channel choices that everyone wants to watch all of the time and not just things that are cheap to produce or buy, and that would allow you to sit down as a whole family, after a nice meal and be like, "Hey guys what should we watch." It could also be easier to use and have a more user friendly interface. There are better alternatives out there at a better price. You should get it if you want something that is cheap. But overall I would say that we really like Sling TV.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sling TV Company Information

www.sling.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use