Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

Sling TV is a streaming subscription service with prices that start at $30 a month. It has more than 50 live channels, 50,000 on-demand movies and shows and free cloud DVR. The service comes with a free seven-day trial, and subscribers can watch on up to three screens simultaneously.

Sling TV Reviews

Original review: May 16, 2020

After getting a lot of recommendations to cut the cable I did with disappointing results. Sling was offering a "happy hour" special of free tv from 5 to midnight so I thought I would try it. I like that you get a choice of programming and there are inexpensive extras you can pick. While I don't have all the choices I would like, I have quite a few. It also allows me the opportunity to resume watching if I end up turning it off before the show is over. And I'm saving $60 a month from what I was paying for cable.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I've had SlingTV for a few years, right after it came out. I was paying close to $100/month for the bare minimum satellite dish package and I wouldn't pay for any DVRs (I wasn't going to pay the additional monthly fee for the DVR receivers and the monthly cost for having DVR service). I work from home so I have to ensure I have great internet and Sling TV is SO much better than the basic satellite package I was paying for! I have so many more channels, I've never had any issues with streaming and another bonus - I don't have to worry about not having any TV when it snows (living in Utah means your satellite dish gets covered in snow multiple times and you have ZERO TV).

They just raised their prices like $5 but threw in 10 hours of free DVR and I've never had any form of DVR before and I love it! The extra cost is worth it - it's still cheaper than any cable or satellite package and I'll never go back. Even when I'm working and running all my programs, I can stream all day with no issues. You can also go back (on some channels) and watch shows that you may have missed. Maybe you fell asleep and missed the new episode of your favorite show? Most of my channels allow me to go back and watch the last 2-3 days of programming. There's also TONS of shows available on demand. I find myself watching this more than Netflix.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Service is great, affordable and flexible but I cannot see Houston Astros games or UT Longhorns or WGN Super Station. Sling allows you to switch back and forth without charge between it packages which is a real benefit but I still can´t get the Astros or WGN. I can't find a provider for the Astros games except Root and Uverse which are not available here. DirecTV offers the games but the package is more than $200 per month. Sling is $25 per month...I can´t afford DirecTV.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought a brand new current Model X900F Sony TV which I had hooked up to DirecTV. All was perfect except for DirecTV's expensive bill. I switched to Sling TV with AirTV and set it up on WiFi, with a 200+ MBPS internet (Wi-Fi was/is well over 100 MBPS at the TV location). If we streamed anything through YouTube and Netflix this setup NEVER missed a beat. Turn on Sling and you never knew what was going to happen, extremely frustrating. We had to uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV app numerous times every week.

I was ready to call up DirecTV again. But I got to thinking about internet connections and Wi-Fi so I decided to hook up everything through a hardwired ethernet connection. END of the problems. Everything records and plays back on both AirTV and Sling like it is supposed to. No more black screens, no more reinstalling the Sling app. My ONE complaint about Sling TV is their customer service people don't have a clue about how their stuff is supposed to work. Or if there is a problem what to look for. I would give Sling 5 Stars if their customer service people were actually customer service people.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had subscribed to Sling back in 2015 and it had some issues with the signal dropping out, etc. Since May of 2019 my cable bill increased and I decided to give Sling another shot. With improved channel packages and an incredible On Demand Library, I was curious to see if the glitches from the past were still there. This time around I bought the latest version of Roku, the Roku Ultra and a high end HDMI cable. In addition I ran an Ethernet cable from the router to my second Roku Ultra in the bedroom and wow what a difference! My wife and I are saving about half of what a monthly cable bill would cost. I am very pleased with the picture quality stream. Can’t see any difference from cable. Sling TV is hitting all the marks and between Sling, my local free TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access, I have plenty of programming to choose from. Very happy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: May 22, 2020

For what is offered too pricey. Would local channels but For a price that people can afford. Service is good. Would like to be able to download the app on my TV but only some sets allow it.. If they could have specials that would last longer than a month but it would be nice for pricing. I would like arm channels on one service but that doesn’t seem possible.

Original review: May 19, 2020

If you want sports this is really the only one. Get ESPN FS-1 etc. For under $50 Add-ons such as NFL Network available at just $10 more. Lots of cable TV channels also and you can cancel & change every month if you want!

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have the Sling Blue package which includes all the major news channels, CNN, MSNBC, Fox and another 35 of the most popular cable channels like History, Discovery etc. I use it on Amazon Fire TV and Roku. This package is only $30.0 plus local sales tax. This package includes ten hours of free cloud DVR and you can add 50 hours of enhanced DVR for five dollars. You can fast forward, go back and pause on both packages.

Original review: May 14, 2020

All of our Favorite channels. Low Price, Dependable Very Easy to use. Excellent Streaming Quality. Very easy to use interface you can switch from grid to guide which is just like our old cable. We have used this for well over 6 months. No problems at all.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Service buffers a lot and has to be reset on a daily basis. Using an iPhone is much better than streaming via new Firestick 4K. Guide works pretty well. Missing some regular channels like ABC. Has a tendency to freeze often. Difficult to complain to provider since they may say it’s just the WiFi.

Sling TV author review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team