1.38/5

256 Sling TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

I joined Sling TV and had the service for about a year. I was hoping the streaming quality would improve over time but I found Sling to stream inferior video quality when compared to Cable or OTA picture from an antenna. My internet connection is over 100 MBPS in the house so the internet connection was certainly fast enough. When I added the packages I wanted over time, the cost savings evaporated so I switched back to cable. Quitting Sling TV is a nightmare as once they had my credit card information they continued to charge my account after the quite arduous process of quitting. After a quick notification of unauthorized charges, their customer service agents are trained to hold onto every cent. The Sling quality is not there and neither is their customer service. I recommend negotiating with your Cable provider and staying FAR away from SLING.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Sling TV is a big scam especially when it comes to Subscribing for Willow to watch cricket match. I subscribed for Willow TV through Sling TV hoping to watch IPL and World CPU. But in reality Sling TV doesn't have any control on what is shown to the viewers in the Willow channel, that means during a live match you might end up getting/watching 100 years old recorded match. Sling TV won't refund your money if you are an annual subscriber. Reaching to their customer service people took around 35 minutes. On a Samsung TV, Sling TV app takes ages to open. Customer Service people just twist and play around with words.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

They never get rights of broadcasting matches even though they commit the same in their advertisement. Happened in IPL -2019. And once you are stuck and paid for a year, you are gone They dont refund for missed promises or their problems/issues.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I saw a 5 day free trial for the Sling TV. Reluctantly I attempted to sign on for the five day free trial. But the site locked on me after I entered all of my information. I attempted a few more times thinking there was just an issue with the website. Unbeknownst to me the website was up and operational and all of my information did go through. I never once accessed the account or use their services. After speaking to customer service and explaining to them everything that happened they refused to credit my account, I only received one month refund after being charged for 5 months of services that I never used.

The customer service representative did understand & their supervisor also understood that I didn't realize that I had an active account. They also understood that I never accessed their services. They also knew I was charged for all those months but they told me they could only give me back that last month's charges. So if you too would like to be hoodwinked and charge for services that you'll probably never use then go ahead take a shot at that 5 day free trial.

I do not recommend Sling TV to anyone. Not my family, not my friends. Not even strangers. As a matter of fact I wouldn't even ask my enemies to use their services. I understand that people work hard for their money and they should never be robbed. In my opinion this company steals money in a legal fashion from people who are unsuspecting. I think it's conniving, just plain dishonest and it's just bad business.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Website is very misleading as to what you’re signing up for. Signed up for the month to month orange and blue package, with the expectation there were local channels. In the description local channels are listed, but only over the air. Checked website again to see there were device packages you had to get to see local channels over the air. With modern TVs there is no coax so buying your own antenna is not an option without a converter box. One offer was for free AirTV box with antenna with three month prepaid subscription.

When I called to ask about it the rep told me the indoor antenna would not work and I would have to purchase the $50 standalone AirTV box and get their third party to come install an outdoor antenna. Told the rep it makes no sense to me to bypass the free equipment and purchase the box for $50. I could take my chances in the indoor antenna and if it doesn’t work buy an outdoor antenna and the $14 adapter Sling offers. AirTV box came and I set it up and come to find out I got almost all the locals channels, and all I wanted were the four major stations. The additional channels didn’t matter to me. However, after setting it all up the box kept resetting every 30-60 seconds.

I was over it at that point and called to ask for a return label for the equipment and to cancel and prorate a refund for the remaining time on the three months. They refused stating they can’t since I’m on a promotional offer. Supervisor said the same thing and he was the highest person I could talk to. At this point I was willing to eat one month of service just to get out. They didn’t deliver what they promised as I agreed to working equipment, and they didn’t deliver. He kept trying to give me the number to AirTV, which is DirecTV by the way. If you want to do business with a deceitful group of liars by all means sign up with Sling. Also, the user interface for Sling is just horrible. Go with YouTube TV and if they don’t have all you want just get Philo for $16-$20 a month. They will have the rest.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I've spoken to multiple reps before finally making a decision to add a review. I didn't want to base my opinion from one rep. My overall opinion of the company is that they are much cheaper than the average cable company, and the services is not bad. However, this company is very deceitful, and I don't understand why. It's not like they have to be. They have a good service, and they are pretty much the cheapest route for cable, there is no need to deceive customers when you have a great product. I can tell the foundation of this company is built on lies, deceit and making a quick dollar... I suggest printing your packages out and reviewing them thoroughly channel by channel and line by line, especially the channels that you will definitely want to have.

This is something they obviously don't expect many people to do. Do not take their word for what you will receive, because they will lie to you, or they will say things that doesn't clearly answer your question, and they have a hard time clearly addressing your concerns. They talk in a way that is all over the place. They are not clear with you will and won't receive. Before making a decision look closely, the extras packages will change as your colored packages changes. For example, I paid for the blue package and added the bundle of 4 extras. It wasn't until after I paid that I seen the "extras" line-up will not stay the same. Pay close attention to this. The representatives will not tell you this. They are quick talkers and only want to make a sale.

Be very careful when viewing the website. You won't catch it on the website initially, but it is set up in a way to deceive you. In fact, it is purposely set up to where you can't view both at the same time. It is very hard to view your extras while you view the colored package lineup. It is done this way to deceive customers, it is very hard to make a more informed decision. The 7 day trial is unclear as well, you will not receive everything that you request in the trial. The reps will say what they think you want to hear, and when you catch them being dishonest they will make it seem like it's your fault. One representative told me, 'she assumed that I knew"... as a first time customer you cannot assume anything, instead you must be honest and explain everything. She initially tried to sell me a promotion offering a AirTV box for $50.00 and failed to explain I had to pay 4 months upfront.

According to her "she assumed I knew". She never mentioned those details, and failed to give me my full total, I had to ask her for it, and luckily I DID because she was getting ready to charge my account for a price I didn't agree to. First rep was very sneaky in her details, and when ID mentioned certain things she would try to fast talk me away from the original question. Again the price and quality of the service is very reasonable, but they lose business when trying to deceive customers, and the sad part is the channel line up is only a 5 or 10.00 difference... A company would rather lose a whole customer over a small difference in price instead of just being honest and upfront about changes and cost.

This company needs training on how to be clear, upfront, honest and ethical. It does them no good to make the sell if the customer is just going to call back and cancel. Maybe this is why they aren't growing at a faster pace. You never win when you play dirty. When I called back to discuss my concerns, I was very calm, kind, and nice, and when they transferred my call, I was hung up on. I tried calling back with the same complaint, but still nice, calm, and kind, and was hung up on again. My advice for any customer is that you pay close attention, and be very careful.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I signed up for the trial and called in prior to the end. I had bad connection, etc... That's not on them. What is on them is the fact that they didn't cancel my subscription and they 'changed' my level of service. I didn't catch it until a couple months later and of course they wouldn't refund it. Terrible way to do business...

Original review: March 19, 2019

Free 30 day trial for streaming TV service. It was not what I expected so I cancelled it. Just FYI I was trying 3 separate free trial online streaming services and Sling is the only one that charged my card the day I signed up for the free trial.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I signed up for a trial and forgot to unsubscribe. When I was charged receiving an email for billing, I replied immediately asking for refund and to be unsubscribed. Their customer service reply was evasive and did not address my request at all instead deferring me to their website and to contact them through there. Then why have a reply option in their email at all? When I went online, which due to my work, and above deferring delays, I was later than usual. My request for refund and in the least a pro-rated one was met with horrible, rude, and insensitive customer service. I would never use a company that treats people like that. a

Original review: March 11, 2019

I cancelled my subscription and received an email confirming it. Next month my card is charged anyway and when I log in my account shows as still active and billed me next month anyway. When I disputed and provided email as proof they refused to refund. Stay away from Sling. Scam company at worst, Faulty billing system at best.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I entered a promotional code for $80 from buying an Oculus Go and instead of charging the promo they charged my credit card first - all I wanted was 2 months paid but they refused to reimburse my card. I tried 3 times but they clearly don't care about customer service. Will not be doing business with companies that put profit before customers' experience.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Had a 30 day free trial promo code. Entered the code and signed up. Was billed after 7 days. Chatted with support, they said I didn't use a promo code and I had signed up for 1 week free. So they billed me $27.05. I showed them the code and they said it was still good and never redeemed. I said that's not possible. I requested the money back and immediate cancellation. They would not refund my money or give me 30 days free.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Have subscribed to Sling for about two weeks. When it works it great. However, the entire concept is spotty and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the problems you will experience. MSNBC is a favorite. You cannot watch Rachel Maddow live and there is a good chance you will not be able to watch it the next day. If you wish to record an early morning show and watch it later in the day there is a 50-50 chance it did not record; or, even if it did you will not be able to watch it all the way through. A major disappointment!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I canceled my Sling service because I found a better deal. However, I noticed another charge hit my account. I went online and verified that it showed canceled and initiated the chat option with a customer service rep. The rep claimed I had a second account with them that was just one letter off from the e-mail address I provided for my account information. Not sure how that could just suddenly happened after I canceled my service with the company. The representative then advised me they would cancel that account and I would still have service for another month. When I explained I just wanted the service canceled and a refund for the charge, I was told refunds are not possible. I asked for a call from a Supervisor or Manager to discuss the issue and was told that was not possible either. Sounds crazy to me that a company can not correct mistakes or contact you to discuss. Terrible customer service!

Original review: March 5, 2019

My experience with Sling TV has been great! I had an issue after my free trial was up, and it was resolved without any issues. I'm sorry to see that not everyone has had such luck. I love Travel and Investigation Discovery. So I love Sling! Also in my situation the customer service was very helpful! I'm keeping my Sling TV!

Original review: March 4, 2019

This service is not good. We canceled our service and our bank account was debited again, canceled again, debited again, canceled again and again our account was debited. My husband finally called asking why they continue to take money from our bank account month after month for three months after we've canceled our service. They had no explanation other than they would not refund us any of it. This company is committing fraud and getting away with it! There is no doubt in my mind this company is ripping people off. They've totally ripped us off for three months payments after we've canceled the service, that's over $111.00 taken from our bank account before we realized something just wasn't right...

Original review: March 3, 2019

I was given a free trial when I purchased a new television in October 2018. I was excited because I was fed up with cable and the ridiculous charges. Sadly I forgot to cancel the trial and they began charging me around $43.00 a month per the trial agreement. It was last week when I realized I still had a subscription. The quality is so poor that I canceled immediately. I know it's not my brand new TV or my brand new Apple TV. Nexflix, Hulu, and all my other applications look amazing. Also, the channels did not interest me. The most disturbing fact is that they charged my bank account four months straight without sending a monthly invoice. This is another reason I forgot to cancel. Their existence is purposeless and their business etiquette is non-existent and unethical.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Sling's feed is consistently poor with buffering issues, video lagging behind audio, or the feed just stopping and the Sling app exited. We called and their advice did not help. We are cancelling our subscription (and notifying our bank not to honor further charges from Sling based on other Consumer Affair reviews). Strongly suggest you avoid Sling.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I decided to try the 7 day free trial in December 2018. The service was terrible from day one. No local channels and more commercials than cable. I often got booted off a channel saying, "Your device is in use elsewhere." Mind you it was a 7 day trial, so how would anyone else have my information. Sling debited my card twice before the 7 days were up. I called and was able to get a refund after having to repeat myself over and over. I thought things were done and just to find out they have debited my card twice for February. I called and now they are telling me, they can't find any account information with the information I provided. Please don't waste your time. They are a complete ripoff. Still waiting to hear back from the accounting department about my refund for these latest charges.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I wish I had visited this site before signing up for the free trial. I canceled my trial on Friday. On Monday I noticed there was a charge from Sling. I first chatted with someone online, refused to do a refund. I then called them, same thing. Asked for a supervisor, they refused to refund as well. Here is the best part. When I logged in through a web browser all I would get is an advertisement to start a free trial. So that tells me that I no longer have an active subscription. It showed I was signed in but nowhere on the page was an option for account, billing, etc. Even better, I clicked on the Sling logo on the top left and it took me to another page (Home page) but then IMMEDIATELY took me back to the advertisement page (not an overlay, another page). I have video recording of this. Even after I told them about this they refused to refund me. So I called my bank and they are taking care of it and blocking any future charges from Sling.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I just want to let other people know that when you cancel services with Sling TV make sure that you receive a confirmation e-mail from them, because they will not refund your money if by any reason cancellation didn't go through, even if you didn't use their account at all. And one more thing. If you think you can watch any ESPN with Sling TV as it is advertised it is wrong as well. You can't watch ESPN+ with Sling TV.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Only the Fox channel was available from all the local channels. Many of channels they do offer are ones that I never watch. If you have Sling orange, you can only watch on one tv in the house at a time. I switched to Sling Blue because you are supposed to be able to watch on two devices at once but it still will not work. I cuts off the feed to one or the other. Going to try Direct streaming for a while. If it isn't any better I will go back to paying those huge cable bills. At least I could watch what I wanted when I wanted.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Was on chat with Sling last night for over an hour, as the DVR Feature does not work. I had a set-up series recordings, left town on business and returned to find that none of them recorded. Then, last night, saw the red series recording icon and assumed it was actually recording - to my dismay today, it was not - no episode there. The customer service representative online was horrible, said that they would escalate the issue to the "engineering" team who was aware of the problem and then gave me a "ticket number."

When I asked if they would contact me by email when the issue was resolved/the ticket was closed out - they said NO - that I would not be contacted, the ticket number was not for an actual help desk resolution, it was to identify the chat! What? Then I said that what if the problem continued (which it did) and they said to try to contact them again. I was shocked that they would basically issue a fake "ticket" number and then tell me that there would be no resolution and that the ticket number did not mean anything. I will probably switch back to Hulu!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I went into the Sling website to cancel the subscription. It acted like my action was processed. I could not log in anymore after that. So I thought my subscription was really canceled. Next month, I was billed. When I called, they said it wasn't canceled. Since I didn't have anything to prove, I accepted the charge although I wasn't happy. The Customer Rep, however, canceled my subscription again while on the phone and sent me an email confirmation. So I thought everything should be ok from there.

Next month, I was billed again. I called Sling again and request a refund. First, they refused like the last time. When I threatened to call my credit company to report fraud, they asked for my cancellation email. This time I had proof, so I sent while on the phone. They agreed to refund. A few days later, I found from my card statement, the refund was made but they also made an additional charge for the same amount, practically canceling out the refund. I had to call my credit company to report the fraudulent charge. I also requested Sling be blocked from ever charging my card.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

What's the point of having DVR if it doesn't record your shows? There's so many problems and bugs it's incredibly frustrating. Today, February 19th, 2019, I tried to call them to inform them of yet another bug that is happening. They no longer have a customer service phone number. They refer you to their website for your questions, then it hangs up on you. If you want your sanity stay away from Sling TV!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Wouldn't stop charging my credit card after cancellation - Hard to contact. Asked for money back but refused and said that isn't their policy. The day I got ahold of them for cancelation I had paid for the month they locked me out what has been paid. Beyond upset. They are thieves.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Sling TV is a joke. Highway robbery. Canceled it less than 24 hours after my trial expired and they said "Too bad. We're still taking $48.69 from you! We are a NON-REFUND COMPANY. Good news is you can still use it for another month!" I don't want your low quality minimal feature service. That's why you can see I stopped using it after 7 days when I had a 30 day trial. Absolutely ridiculous. I bet the only reason they're still in business is because people forget to cancel their subscriptions after the trial. Don't get Sling TV.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We recently purchased a Roku TV and with the purchase we were given an activation code for a 30 day free trial of Sling TV. Through the Roku channel store I downloaded the Sling TV channel and activated the free trial with the code that was provided. 3 days before the trial period ended and I cancelled the 25.00/month (stated cost if service continued) and was charged 42.38 by Sling 2 days after cancelling the trial. Their customer service argued with me about cancelling their service within the trial period and LAUGHED when I stated I wanted a refund. I asked to speak with a supervisor and again he LAUGHED. DON'T FALL FOR THEIR RACKET!! I let the rep know I'd be reporting them to Consumer Affairs and I reported the charge to my bank as unauthorized.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Sling TV refused to refund my cancellation due to their own technical issue. I reported the channel missing (Phoenix info news and Phoenix North America) issue after 10 mins I signed up the Lucky Chinese Package service and prepaid for one year as there was a one-year promotion rate. These two channels were the main reason I signed up the service. The web chat support cannot locate the issue and then told me they created an engineering ticket and escalated the issue. It has been more than a week, no resolution and no progress. I called and asked to cancel with a refund because the service I received was never working. The call has been escalated to the supervisor but everyone over the phone and web chat has the same response which is no way to refund, and they think Sling is working fine, and keep emphasizing that there are millions of people watching without issue.

It's ridiculous that the supervisor said customer should have patient for resolving issues and they will resolve it but not ETA and should be less a year. How could this supervisor say that to their customer? I said, "Could you show me Sling bug list? How could you know if there are millions of bugs? And your engineers are busy fixing other bugs, that's why mine small bug has not been resolved in one week?" I am very disappointed with Sling service and not recommended to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I signed up for a seven day trial and canceled within the specified time fame but got billed for a full month a couple of days later. When I checked my account it still showed active so I canceled again and called to complain but they refused to give me a refund even though I explained that their system either deliberately or accidentally did not process my cancellation. It took me four tries for the cancellation process to finally work. I explained all this to my credit card company and waiting for them to reverse the charge.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout