3.3/5 (364 ratings)

About Sling TV

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

Pros

• Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts

Cons

• Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Bottom Line

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

Top Sling TV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! ... L...

Verified

Sling TV is PERFECT for watching those big sports games that I don’t want to miss. Getting all of the sports channels all year would cost so much more than activating Sling ... I ...

What is Sling TV?

Sling TV is similar to cable, but it transmits over the internet instead of through a cable box. To watch Sling, connect it to your chosen media streaming device, such as an Xbox, Roku or Apple TV. If you're not using a streaming device, you can download the app to your phone, computer, smart TV or any other compatible device.

With Sling TV, you can pick between the news- and entertainment-centric Sling Blue or the sports- and family-centric Sling Orange. If you'd rather not choose, you can combine both packages. All package options include a DVR function that saves to your cloud. The company offers mini-channel collections, referred to as extras, as add-ons. Premium channels such as Showtime, Starz and Epix are also options.

How much is Sling TV a month?

Sling TV offers two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan costs $30 a month, or you can get both plans for $45 a month. There are several add-on options, such as lifestyle, comedy, kid-friendly and sports channels. These extras range between $5 and $10 monthly. Other premium channels range between $3 and $10 a month.

Sling TV FAQ

What channels are on Sling TV?
The channel selection varies based on the package you choose. Some popular channels found on Sling TV include Disney, ESPN, FX, TLC and Food Network. There are also add-on options such as sports, children's programming, comedy and news.
Is Sling live tv?
Sling TV is live and offers programming as it’s broadcast. It also has a DVR feature so customers can record shows for later viewing.
Does Sling have local channels?
You can receive local channels by purchasing a separate HD antenna.
How much is Sling TV monthly?
Your monthly cost varies based on what package you choose. Sling Blue and Sling Orange each cost $30 monthly. If you want to combine both packages, your monthly cost is $45. From there, add-ons generally run between $5 and $10 a month.
Can I get a refund from Sling?
Sling does not offer refunds for prepaid or partial services. If you cancel in the middle of a month, you still pay for the full month.
Is Sling better than cable?
Unlike many cable services, Sling can be streamed from nearly any device, so it's much more portable. It also stores your DVR recordings to a cloud instead of a cable box. Plus, it's often more affordable.
How can I contact Sling TV?
Sling TV has several methods of contact. This includes online chat, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and calling directly.
Is Sling free with Amazon Prime?
No, Sling is not free with Amazon Prime. It is available to purchase through Amazon and can be watched using the Amazon Fire.

Is Sling TV good?

For those looking to cut ties with cable companies, Sling TV offers a good alternative. There are no contracts, and packages start at just $30. There are several options to build on the basic packages, though that increases the total cost. There are no long-term commitments, and you can cancel any time. Sling TV offers a service that makes it worth comparing the numbers and maybe saying goodbye to cable for good.

Sling TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Sling explained to me that their service does not play on my LG TV. Sling admitted that I never had access to their service but still refused to refund my credit card. Sling ripped me off. Don't buy Sling.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Worked well for a month during $10 trial. Then when you start full price subscription you get repeat Poor Quality repeat commercials then nothing but buffering and error messages! Customer Service outsourcing from California to Manila? Refers your concerns to “?TECH” support, who you can’t talk to. They tell you tech will work on it and for you to try again in a couple days??? What kind of ** service is that? I am tech savvy! Have reloaded, updated and to no avail no fix. Had Yukon TV with GCI which was also transmitted from California and Customer Service and Technical Support (non-existent) was outsourced to Manila. Funny, I got the same girl in Manila for both TV Platforms! Run away! Do not waste your money! Scam!

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

Customer service for subscriptions and billing for Sling is awful and not customer friendly. Had the worst experience resulting in exhausting over an HR + of time contacting their customer support through both live chat & direct phone call, to simply request a courtesy credit for error with new customer acc sign up to watch a single show airing only on the Paramount network that Sling required separate subscriptions for & failed to disclose in advance that when signing up halfway through the month, that Sling cannot & will not honor or give a refund credit for account cancellations within 3 days of signing up for an account if disappointed or not happy with the service or if in fact as in my case, the show I wanted to watch on the Paramount Network (that required Sling prepay acct sign up) was not readily available for me to watch due to live stream only availability via specific days & times. Which would not work for me & my schedule.

Unfortunately they do not disclose "no refund applies" when signing up for a Sling account mid-month, so in other words they can charge but will not apply a credit or refund...SERIOUSLY! Sling customer service was very difficult, rude & unforgiving to deal with for a company who clearly DOESN'T CARE about customers they rely upon for continued service to keep & stay in business, sincerely worst experience!!! I would never again consider to use them or their affiliates for TV entertainment ever again, too many competitors out there that can meet & beat their 'service' pricing & packages.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

I was an early Sling user. I was a customer for a long time. The prices have gone up significantly. I do know if you like the Travel channel, Sling farmed it out to create Discovery Plus. So basically, a lot of content was lost on that channel. They do have a good list of products and channels to BUY and a decent selection. I did end up having to get discovery plus and my cost with a movie channel and DVR is now about $80.00 a month plus the added cost of Discovery Plus. Much of the movie content unless you purchase Hallmark or Starz is found on free sites such as TUBI. I do struggle with the lack of loyalty to longstanding customers. If you have been a long-term member no discounts or promotions ever. Incentivizing loyal customers is something I look for in a company. Esp as the price goes up. Customer service is all online. Not personal at all.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I paid $35 for a package on 12/ 6/2021. On 12/09/2021 they tried to charge me again saying my card was declined white it wasnt cause it shows $35 taking from my account so Sling sucks and they are still trying to charge my card.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

Poor Quality. Always Buffering which is frustrating watching live sports, you have to wait for a replay if it doesn't kick you off and giving code unknown 8-12 and shutting down. I have reloaded, updated and to no avail no fix. So disappointed with this service now. Price you pay to cut the cord I guess.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I was told I would only be paying $35/month and was charged $71 instead when I signed up I was very clear making sure they would only be charging me $35 every month. I called as soon as I found this charge and they said I would not be refunded. I am currently disputing this with American Express.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

In the last 3 months commercials have tripled and I'm paying for this. So as soon as this month we will be canceling. I cannot believe you watch 3 minutes of the show in commercials for 8 minutes. I timed it. They are horrible.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I signed up for the monthly service that had a "7 days free". As soon as I found I could not bypass commercials, I cancelled. The email I received said nothing about having to CALL if you wanted your money refunded! Refunded??? But, there was supposed to be 7 free days? But, of course when I called, they told me I couldn't have a refund because they said I didn't qualify! And when I asked for his supervisor, he told me they don't take calls! DO NOT sign up for this service! They will scam you out of whatever they want! I don't see ANY good reviews of this company! Why are they not being investigated for corrupt practices??

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

We tried to sign up for this service to initially watch a sports game but also use the service since we just got Smart TV's. We were unsuccessful getting it to work on our TV after trying multiple times. We then signed up for another service which worked. We realized 4-5 months later that we were charged $42.40 per month without any email notifications, etc. We were also double billed since once it didn't work we tried signing up under a different email.

Sling TV Company Information