Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Sling TV Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I've had SlingTV for a few years, right after it came out. I was paying close to $100/month for the bare minimum satellite dish package and I wouldn't pay for any DVRs (I wasn't going to pay the additional monthly fee for the DVR receivers and the monthly cost for having DVR service). I work from home so I have to ensure I have great internet and Sling TV is SO much better than the basic satellite package I was paying for! I have so many more channels, I've never had any issues with streaming and another bonus - I don't have to worry about not having any TV when it snows (living in Utah means your satellite dish gets covered in snow multiple times and you have ZERO TV).

They just raised their prices like $5 but threw in 10 hours of free DVR and I've never had any form of DVR before and I love it! The extra cost is worth it - it's still cheaper than any cable or satellite package and I'll never go back. Even when I'm working and running all my programs, I can stream all day with no issues. You can also go back (on some channels) and watch shows that you may have missed. Maybe you fell asleep and missed the new episode of your favorite show? Most of my channels allow me to go back and watch the last 2-3 days of programming. There's also TONS of shows available on demand. I find myself watching this more than Netflix.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought a brand new current Model X900F Sony TV which I had hooked up to DirecTV. All was perfect except for DirecTV's expensive bill. I switched to Sling TV with AirTV and set it up on WiFi, with a 200+ MBPS internet (Wi-Fi was/is well over 100 MBPS at the TV location). If we streamed anything through YouTube and Netflix this setup NEVER missed a beat. Turn on Sling and you never knew what was going to happen, extremely frustrating. We had to uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV app numerous times every week.

I was ready to call up DirecTV again. But I got to thinking about internet connections and Wi-Fi so I decided to hook up everything through a hardwired ethernet connection. END of the problems. Everything records and plays back on both AirTV and Sling like it is supposed to. No more black screens, no more reinstalling the Sling app. My ONE complaint about Sling TV is their customer service people don't have a clue about how their stuff is supposed to work. Or if there is a problem what to look for. I would give Sling 5 Stars if their customer service people were actually customer service people.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had subscribed to Sling back in 2015 and it had some issues with the signal dropping out, etc. Since May of 2019 my cable bill increased and I decided to give Sling another shot. With improved channel packages and an incredible On Demand Library, I was curious to see if the glitches from the past were still there. This time around I bought the latest version of Roku, the Roku Ultra and a high end HDMI cable. In addition I ran an Ethernet cable from the router to my second Roku Ultra in the bedroom and wow what a difference! My wife and I are saving about half of what a monthly cable bill would cost. I am very pleased with the picture quality stream. Can’t see any difference from cable. Sling TV is hitting all the marks and between Sling, my local free TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access, I have plenty of programming to choose from. Very happy!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Sling works fine. The trial period is just that. Sure, they try to sell you on staying with their service, but so does every other smart business in these day and time. With enough bandwidth (It very clear from most "reviews" here that customers do not fully understand requirements before buying in) and very basic technology understanding, Sling is a no-brainer compared to cable service price and/or other competing streaming TV service prices. People, it's not Sling, it's you. Go ahead, pay $200 minimum for any good programming package with your cable company or a lot more for other streaming content providers than Sling. I'll stick with Sling for the few cable channels I enjoy and only watch (all available on Sling Orange or Blue packages) and my local network channels (They are available in my area) PLUS my local, regional sports channel (GO CUBS!). All for $35 a month.

The complainers here are uninformed and lazy, to me. 2 side notes. 1. Did I mention Sling is offering a free preview to all subscribers for THREE of their add-on channel packages right now for 2-3 weeks. That's about 20-30 more channels, good ones, for nothing for a while. Bonus! Thanks, Sling. 2. I find I get better service and faster, too, when doing things myself. And I really like having the ability and full control myself. I do not mind NOT speaking with a human if the same thing can be accomplished myself online via configuration and settings. You can control everything yourself with Sling. Thanks again, Sling. 5 stars.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I decided to “cut the cord” after my monthly cable bill, cable-Internet-phone, topped $350. Though some are displeased with Sling, I suspect it is more of an IP issue than a problem with Sling. I opted to pay for 2 months in advance and got a free Roku, which I really like. I get many of my local channels streamed live, luckily the ones I like to watch, and a lot of other cool channels.

About buffering and glitching, it is the Internet, it happens. I didn’t notice anymore, or any fewer such issues on Sling than I do on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. If you expect a perfect-uninterrupted stream, you are expecting too much. I have gig-speed Internet from Xfinity, and just about every add on streaming service there is, and now pay two thirds less a month for my TV services. Face it, cable goes out too, and it is more expensive, insanely more expensive. Pay a lot less, get just about the same selection of content, and maybe have to reload once in a while. It is a fair trade-off in my book.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I cancelled Sling TV through their easy online portal. Months later my spouse noticed we were being charged and we immediately called in. Customer service was atrocious. Even though they can see no usage in 3 full months they would only credit back a partial amount based on future use. When I asked to be transferred to a supervisor the call disconnected.

I called back and the new agent said I could get a full month courtesy credit and would have to speak to the supervisor. Once I was transferred, the supervisor was very critical, claiming I had not canceled my service, was hostile, and would only allow a partial month refund (basically giving me back payment for future use only). They refused to acknowledge being able to see when I logged in last. I’ve never been treated so poorly. I would never trust Sling TV as their reoccurring charges may go on forever with no recourse.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I went to Sling TV's website to check to see if I could get NBC and Fox channels before signing up. I put my zip code in and it said that I would not get NBC but that I would get Fox. So I decided that was good enough, and so I paid the monthly fee and signed up. After signing up, I got onto Sling and I did not in fact have access to Fox. I contacted Sling TV and told them the whole situation, and they informed me that they do not give refunds of any kind. They tried to blame it on my IP address which made no sense, and I have never had issues with any other live streaming service before due to my IP address and not receiving channels that were promised. I asked to speak with a supervisor and she informed me that they would not issue a refund either. So I cancelled the service and am leaving them a bad review.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Our internet network has enough speed to run Sling.com...although in the middle of shows, the show stop, go black, and freeze for several minutes. All of the updates have been completed. This is very frustrating. Also, there are time frames of 6 minutes of commercials during shows. Ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

They go up on prices without warning and take money out of your account. They debit your card and they don’t do refunds or credit... be skeptical about using your bank or debit card with them. They are ripping people off!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I lose signal all the time. Wait with black screen and reboot after 5 minutes. Had to sign in countless times. I was told it was my server.... bull... I get curiosity tv and prime with no problems. Leaving.

Not sure about Sling TV?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team