1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

167 Sling TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I used Sling TV for 2 months, then canceled the service. I got a confirmation email for cancellation. However, they started to "silently" charge my credit card for a few months after 2 weeks of cancellation. I found this out and contacted customer service today. Unfortunately, they said it's me who re-started service (??? which I was not aware of), and they can't refund me for this mistake. Sling did not send me any email notification for this re-start of service, nor any charge/payment information. They just secretly charged me! I had to cancel the service again, and removed my credit card information from my account. Have never been treated like this by any company. Totally disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I started with the free trial with the purpose of using this to watch the Golden State Warriors basketball games. After about a month it starts to seem like it's throttling me, and the programs not only have lots of short stops like buffering stop and starts, but sometimes it completely stops until the browser is refreshed/reloaded, which causes you to miss about a minute to a minute and a half of the game. Last night and tonight that happened several times during a game, and I missed the last minute of tonight's game! Very disappointing. That might be a deal breaker. The resolution or definition or sharpness isn't too good, sometimes it's so blurry when there's movement that I can't even see the basketball. I might switch if the stream does this stopping on a few more games.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Sling isn’t a good fit for me. I gave it a go. But to actually receive “custom” tv lineup, I had to add on this, that. It ended up around $50 not $25. Alright. I’ve had satellite and cable both. Also both included internet and phone. To be honest, the package deal with cable or satellite - no premium content is a better deal than Sling. Sling advertises “a la carte tv”. It isn’t truly. Either blue or orange or both give one a limited range that can be enhanced by add on content. Such as Dvr service, news other than default Fox, NBC, ABC and certain sports content is default. Regardless if it’s not an important inclusion to one’s tv viewing pleasure. Now for movies. The channels offered for the $25 base are uninspired. Requiring again an add on to receive a line up even close to equaling basic cable/satellite. My cable. Including internet, and phone. Is not much more than what a customized Sling would cost me.

Cable is Gives one a much wider selection in basic than the basic Sling. Even with two subscriptions of Netflix and Prime, the cable service still comes out a better deal. Perhaps if a person has never had cable or satellite, it would be a good choice. If Sling were truly customizable, I may reconsider. A la carte/ custom tv to me means a person can choose a line up of only those channels desired. It’s no bargain if I must augment my lineup with add on movies, dvr, and news to receive the choices I want because the default channels aren’t the ones I want. Sorry but Sling is not a la carte. At least not by my known definition.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

First I want to point out that I was an early adopter to DirecTV Now but their signal was awful. After a year of paying for a crappy signal I moved to Sling. The signal was night and day, couldn't be happier with how smooth everything was. The problems started when my account was hacked. I received an email about a rental purchase and immediately called. They refunded me the rental and they said if I changed my password that person would be booted. Wrong, that person was still active. After a few hours I did some research and found out that Sling has absolutely no ability to log anyone off once they are in. It only affects new logins.

With no solution in mind I asked to cancel. They confirmed and I went on with my day. The next day I turned on Sling and I still had service and checking the device list the hacker was still in. I called and they said they had no record of me canceling even though I had a ticket number. I canceled again and received the email confirmation. Two hours later, my account was reactivated. They had absolutely no security measures in place to protect the consumer.

I asked them why this happened and they said because they kept my payment method on file which means not only did changing my password do nothing, but that person had the right to reactivate the account by simply clicking a button. So I had them remove it and canceled yet again. Now I'm waiting for 3 refunds from Sling. Their pricing structure is great but the fact that they don't tell you when a new location logs in, that you can't revoke a devices rights, or they can't boot a hacked account is a deal breaker. Sorry but I will not give them a single dime until they fix this real problem.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I believe any business that doesn’t take a responsibility about their business is a very bad one. I tried their 1-week free trial and all the channels at least I tried worked fine, with good quality and no lagging. However, all of the sudden after I am have been paying for it nothing seem to work even if my internet was really good. I called them, the woman I talked to is very nice and tried everything but couldn't find a solution and I told her to cancel my service but she couldn't b/c of company policy. I talked to her supervisor. Very rude guy. Tried to blame all of it on me even though he acknowledges I have a good internet service. They have cheated my money. Don’t buy this really horrible!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Don't trust the 7 days free trial on Roku TV or Sling TV site. They said you can cancel any time but they lied. I had to deactivate my Roku account so they won't charge me, but I was wrong. When I did cancel my Roku account my Sling account was cancel so I thought I was in the clear, nope they charged my card after the 7-day trial of 27 dollars. I turned on my Roku TV and clicked on Sling TV app and bam no channels. Nothing. So why did Sling TV charge me for invisible tv? I believe they are a scam. I did not get the 7-day trial either, smh. If you want live tv get Philo. Only 16 dollars a month for over 40 channels. I'm using them instead and they have better channels, channels I actually watch. Anyways don't use Sling TV or shall I say Sling scam TV????

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I live in Las Vegas and Sling TV sucks. How can I watch a show and it keeps going off? It is the worst. It's like I live on the moon. How can I watch a show when it goes in and out? I paid my money - I just want to watch my show without interruptions. How about I pay you with cut offs like y'all do me?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR SLING. SCAM AND AWFUL SERVICE. I signed up for Sling for their free trial Oct 2017. After lots of issues that first week, I canceled the subscription. They reactivated my account without my request and have been charging my credit card for a full YEAR. I contacted them today Nov 1, to credit me back the monthly charges (I had NEVER used it after those first few days) and they said they would NOT credit me and are going to also charge me for an additional MONTH. WTH?! OMG, do not sign up. Not only tons of tech issues (see other reviews), but their customer support is AWFUL. SLING = SCAM, to get your money only with no sense of value for customer experience.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I had Sling for several months earlier this year. After many issues, I canceled the subscription but kept the box to access Netflix. Twice, they reactivated my account and charged my account. I contacted them for credit and to 100% deactivate and they said they would not credit me for service I never used or requested to reinstate. Stay far away. This is why all these millennial start-up companies suck. They have no sense of responsibility or how to treat people. Just a money grab.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

So... SLING TV. I just had the worst experience with them. Sling shuts off constantly--often at the top of the hour at the end of a show!!! Was talking with techies for 10 days starting Oct. 22. They kept saying they were trying to fix problem--they're still trying. My payment went through on 25th and I still have no TV. They refuse to reimburse me for the "No service" I have. Arrrgghhhh!!! Terrible customer service. Stay away from SLING TV. They just don't care about customer retention.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Ok so the first month I was excited and thought it was cool, but noticed it only works half the time. When you play for DVR it doesn't record correct and will record wrong shows/movies or only records half. When recording shows it doesn't let you record all and says they are recording but when you go to watch there are no shows recorded. Can't fast forward or pause on half of them, when watching in one room it bugs out in another. Customer service is HORRIBLE! Not helpful in any way! It constantly freezes and will cause the app or TV to crash. I'm paying $60 a month, but switching back to my other provider.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

We have had Sling for over a year and recently they raised the price and then proceeded to take away 2 of our most watched channels (Paramount and CMT). Not to mention they didn't inform us of the changes in writing or at all. They claim that they are constantly adding channels...well they must be channels that most don't care about. They may as well call themselves Comcast because this is the same behavior. If I wanted to be dicked out of my programming I would sign up for regular cable.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Watching the World Series, top of the 12th inning, it switches to knockouts. You have got to be kidding me. You don't do that. If my team was in the World Series and this happened I would change providers the very next day.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I took advantage of the 1-week free trial and at the end, decided to pay for an annual plan, because it seemed to work OK. Big mistake! First of all, I was charged for one month automatically after the 1-week trial without giving me an option to choose monthly vs. annual. When I converted to annual plan just one day after my monthly plan payment, I hoped they will issue me a refund for that one month's payment. When I contacted them, they said they cannot process refunds because it is a prepaid service. All they did was start my annual contract after the monthly payment's period was over. But, this is unfairly locking me in for 13 months when I want to pay only for 12 months.

Moreover, they said that if I face any streaming problems in the future, they will try their best to resolve the problem, but they WILL NOT GIVE ANY MONEY BACK (again because they are a prepaid service)! So, once you pay them, you forget the money and be at their mercy! I hope that they don't keep charging me when I cancel before my annual plan ends. I wish I had read the reviews here before taking the leap of the annual plan. Writing this for the benefit of future diligent consumers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Best advice from my CU, cancel my debit card and get a new one for $7.50. I am sick of dealing with customer service and still can't watch programs for over a month. I was also told when my son wanted to add his TV, I had to upgrade my service. What service... When I went online, she/he wanted to troubleshoot my problem AGAIN. PLUUUUEASE.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I too have fallen to the 7 day free trial and getting charged. Scam. I signed up online for the two month with free Roku on a Sunday. Realized that the local channels it said we could watch NFL games on didn’t stream the NFL games. Canceled within an hour. Got an email verifying cancelation. Called on Monday to verify that it was canceled and I would not be charged due to an email stating my order was being processed (I was assuming for the Roku) and was told it had been canceled and I would not be charged. Credit card charged on Tuesday. Called again and was told that the bundle forfeited the free trial...no refund even though it did not state anywhere on the site or during signup that the bundle does not include a free trial.

To make matters better, they treat you like you are stupid because it says no refunds for pre-pay services. That would be great and I would totally understand that. Had they stated when signing up that it does not include the free 7 days! I had put extras in the package and now I’m stuck with a $167 Roku stick worth about $25. And to make matters better, they acted like my account hadn’t been canceled at all when I called them about the charge. Very shady and deceptive practice indeed.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

The platform Sling TV provides is glitchy at best. Mostly it doesn't work. Basic functions like searching for shows or channels don't work at all at times. Constant error messages. The only thing worse than their tv service is their customer service. It is bar none the worst. Rude service.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I thought I couldn't find worse customer service than Verizon but I did. Tried to open an account and it took my credit card info then wouldn't let me go any further. Tried to look for answers in the help area regarding the problem I was having. Nothing closely related to my problem, I was basically locked out of the account that had my credit card number and nothing else on it. Tried to correct again with no results, figured it was the weekend and wait til a weekday. Then my FREE 7-day subscription ran out although I had tried to enter a 30 day free subscription from Best Buy, I then received a bill For $26.38. Finally I was chatted a contact phone number to call customer service (1-888-361-7149 if anybody else needs it) and I called to find out I didn't have an account at all. Funny they had my credit card number but nothing else. I cancelled and requested a refund on my credit card. Hope that was the end of my time with Sling.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I tried this service for a couple of months. It wasn’t for me, so I canceled it fourteen months ago. When it didn’t stop billing, I called in and was told it was now canceled and I would receive a one month refund. Which I did. One month ago I was billed $24.99. Two days ago, I was again billed $24.99. This service was through a Roku that has not been in use, though it is still in my possession.

When I called in, I was offered a one month refund, and told I had inadvertently turned it back on. Good trick, since it was not in use. I explained multiple times how this was absolutely impossible, to no avail. I spoke with a supervisor who also refused to refund or send me up the chain of command. I insisted, and said I would hold, to which he responded by telling me no, and terminating the call. I did reach out online, and was offered the feedback address for Sling, and told again that no one will help me. I am offended that they would wrongfully charge, then insist I had, without my own knowledge, somehow reinstated my service. I am unsure how they are still operating in our country. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

This is factually correct and a warning to anyone trying to claim a free trial. After multiple purchases at Best Buy I tried to turn in and use one of the three free trials I had received. Separate purchases separate receipts. Purchases I had received from buying TVs at Best Buy I was supposed to have a 30 day trial on one and 7 days on other two. There was no indication that you could only have one. If that's true then Best Buy should not continue to give them out on second purchases and when I went to the website to find out how to use it I was asked to fill in the information and sign up and it then provided me with a seven day trial.

When I contacted customer service they said by accepting and signing online I voided any free trial I had received through Best Buy and I was only eligible for a seven day. I argued with the customer service person, explained that I had three separate purchases and that I should be entitled to the total of 45 days and if that’s not possible then I wanted it canceled. He informed me that he opened a complaint ticket to escalate my concerns because he was unable to authorize the extension of the trial.

So I gave them seven days to return my call. I did not receive any return messages. I’ve since texted them twice. I’ve posted on their Facebook and reported them as fraudulent to Facebook. Reported them to Best Buy on the seventh day. When I went in to check if they had contacted me they took a $47 payment from my bank account at 7:15 after they're closed on a Friday and said because I hadn’t terminated the seven days which I was waiting for communication from them that I would have to pay the $47 and they will not give it back and turn off my membership. So beware fraud and scam and they don’t return your calls. Their customer service is a joke. Probably a computer not a real person.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

While I'm not as unhappy as others on this site, there are some things about Sling TV that are very annoying. I've used Sling for about 18 months. I have their DVR service which they offer at a good price of $5/month. Unlike other DVRs I've used, however, Sling lets me pause/rewind only about half of the channels in my package. And when you record many of those channels, you can't fast-forward thru commercials. I'd get the same thing from streaming directly from the channel's app which is usually free. So, why am I paying for it from Sling? Maybe that's why it's only 5$. The other thing that bothers me is Sling's blocking of content on channels that I'm paying for. For example, Sling's FS1 feed blocks college football games. I suppose it's because Sling can't or won't pay the NCAA for the rights.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I asked over a year to watch the Carolina Panther and Virginia Tech football. Each time I inquired they said, "their engineers are working on it but I could go to their sports page and see if the games were on". I did but the games were not available in this area. I signed up with DirecTV now. Great TV now.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had taken Sling for my parents who were visiting from India as they would get bored here and wanted to watch Malayalam channels when they were on a 2 month visit. I want to give zero stars because they charged 33$ for 3 extra months even though I had their package only for 2 months. Before even the end of 2 months, when a few days were left to it, Sling got expired (that is what we thought) and my parents couldn't watch anything. We didn't bother much for the 3-4 days that we didn't get service as my parents were busy with packing and they asked me not to renew for another month.

But looks like Sling had it going all along and we were charged for 5 months. I had never even logged on to Sling to watch anything as we thought Sling was canceled. Sling was canceled but they royally charged me for 3 extra months. Their app on Roku and their actual system doesn't look like they are syncing. How else can they say that I am showing up as not canceled. When I was with the customer service, a lady called Betty, I have to say I have never had a worser customer experience. She says she can't do anything about it. I said, "We don't have Sling for past 3 months so why are you charging us money." She said "I am sorry Ma'am but this is the policy. You don't seem to show that you have canceled".

I can't imagine a more ridiculous customer service. I asked her if I can talk to her supervisor and she said even he will say the same and shut me off. In this day and age, I had to pay almost 100$ to a service which I never used. I am a law abiding citizen in every way. If I have watched something I need to pay for that else why should I pay is my question. I want to warn people with Sling. They just make extra dollars of you even if you cancel. Please beware!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Any other TV provider is better than Sling. They have their own commercials so it is not possible to stay in Full Screen mode. Basic sports are extra cost. It is MLB playoffs and there are no games offered except on TBS. You MUST use Google Chrome - otherwise you don't even get a login screen. Customer service (Chat) doesn't solve your problem, it just says, "We will work on it."

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I would give a zero if I could, one star is very generous! This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. From dealing with chat agents to customer service phone agents to managers. Do not trust this company with your debit or credit card. I have been trying to cancel the service for 3 months. I have documentation which I screen shot and emailed to them showing proof of my online cancellations and correspondence with their automated email service. I spoke with Kevin who assured me I would not continue to be charged and he would look into it and get back to me in 72 hours. And I spoke with Nickolas who told me "I needed to do my due diligence and change my password." I jumped through all their hoops to get this account cancelled yet they continued to charge my account for 3 months and never called me back "after looking into to it."

Today I filed a claim with my bank so they can no longer charge to my account as they would not help me. Needless to say, as far as Sling is concerned the customer is never right, if there is a problem with the account it's YOUR responsibility and even the supervisor level is unwilling to help. My advice is to never get started because it is impossible to cancel. Instead of being helpful they are rude and defensive. With Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix being so great and reasonably priced Sling has really nothing to offer.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Sling TV works OK, about like the other streaming services but there is one huge difference. The volume of the ads is so loud that it is a constant source of aggravation. I either have to tolerate the obnoxious and unalterable volume of commercials, mute every ad break in live tv or cancel. I’m canceling. It is that obtrusive and annoying. Sling doesn’t seem to care, this has been an issue since 2015 with no attempt to remedy this.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Zero stars if I could! Most companies will issue you a refund if you cancel your service, however SLING TV REFUSED to refund my money after I was charged once the 7-day trial period ended. Once I opened Sling TV and realized how God awful the interface was, I never used it again. I noticed the charge days later, called customer service concerning this and was forced to wait on hold “to speak to a supervisor” for 30 minutes only to be told “there’s nothing they can do”. SHADY BUSINESS ETHICS!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have used Sling every year for football season so I can watch football on the go. I cancel once the season is over, and renew again when it starts up again in the fall. I've done this for 3 years straight with no problem. This year, however, I prepaid for the first two months as part of a free Roku promotion. Unfortunately, 3 weeks after I reactivated my account, I bought a new iPhone XS. Sling is the ONLY app I have that is not compatible with the iPhone XS due to the new A11 Bionic chip. This is a known issue well covered on Apple sites and even reported by Sling themselves.

Now, more than weeks have gone by where I cannot use sling on my iPhone XS. The whole purpose for purchasing this subscription was to watch from my mobile device, which I cannot do because Sling hasn't updated their app. Customer service was rude, at best, when I reported this issue and asked for a temporary suspension of my account until the issue is resolved. They wouldn't do ANYTHING to help me at all. No pause on the account, no early cancellation, etc.

I understand their technology didn't work on Apple's new phone, but can't understand why they made that my problem, and wouldn't acknowledge that my customer expectation of a mobile viewing experience isn't being met due to their app's constraints. My only option to get value out of the subscription is to use my old phone, or be tethered to my tv or iPad on wifi. None of those options are what I signed up for. I'm most frustrated by their lack of customer service. Even after 2 attempts to work with customer service, they made no effort to rectify the situation. I give up and am reporting where I can the bad experience I have had!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I signed up for a "trial" subscription last year. After realizing that I could not access their streaming service because I did not have the technical requirements (which they don't bother to make clear upfront), I called and canceled. It turns out that they have been charging my credit card anyway. I just called to ask them to reverse those charges as I had clearly not been using their service from day one. Kevin, the useless supervisor on the phone, proceeded to say that as they have no record of my cancellation they will continue to charge me despite the fact that they admit and can see I have not used the service.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Hey guys, I bought a Sling TV Orange plan plus one Brazilian Channel on Oct-01-2018. The deal was two months Subscription with free Roku express device order # **. The salesperson told me I have a one week to try it from the day I activate Roku and start streaming, and if I don't like it I can cancel and return the Roku device for full refund of $80. After 4 days of trying I decided to cancel it because image quality issue and screen freezing. But when I called Sling they said I can't get refund at all even though I told her it is written on Sling website (7 days free trial) and I told her that the salesperson confirmed to me that I can get full refund when I purchase it last week, BUT she continued to repeat (Sorry we can't process your refund for bundle deal). I consider this a direct theft of my $80. I advice new customer don't believe their promises. I am very much unsatisfied customer and I don't recommend anybody to buy Sling services.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout