1.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

194 Sling TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I signed up for the 7 day free trial. After 7 days I cancelled the service, BUT Sling still charged me for a month in advance. What a SCAM! They won't return my money and also the account I cannot cancel my credit card so can't prevent them from stealing money from me in the future. Believe me, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM SLING. It is a scam. They take your money.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Due to the horrible tv experience, I cancelled my subscription and they continued to charge my card 3 months after... I tried a chat and pretty much got shot down, and then called (after they to opened at like 10 am est, and was on hold for 10 min before I got a person)... They are willing to look into it but won't promise the return of money. Downright theft from my account! I have asked them to confirm my card is removed from the account since I can't do that on their app or after being logged in.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I signed up for a 7 day free preview, and after 3 days I called and canceled the service. And didn't think a thing about it. Several months later I saw a charge on my credit card I couldn't identify so I called my bank and found that I had been charged every month for Sling service. I called Sling and they said I had never cancelled and the charges were for serviced provided whether I used them or not. I called my bank and they said the only I could stop the charges was to cancel my credit card account, which I did. Sling is dishonest and a con artist.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Sling TV is only interested in money not customer satisfaction. I signed up for the 2 month promotion (Free ROKU). Paid them $89.00 for the 2 months. Once logged in and streaming I find that you need an antenna for local stations. I canceled the subscription within 1 hour of paying them and come to find out that the 7 day free trial does not apply and that I'm out the $89.00. I called customer service and they told me I should have seen that the 7 day free trial does not apply when you go with the 2 month promotion. I don't think that the ROKU is worth $89.00. I would rather they refund the money. Look at DirecTV now. Better service and not out to take your money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I subscribe mostly for sports, and buy the Orange service plus. The available channels is pretty good -- and if the streaming itself was reliable, I'd rate it either 4 or 5 stars. But they seem to meter the playback, and even though I have a very fast and reliable broadband ISP, the Sling streams are regularly slow and very fuzzy. The pattern is so predictable that I have to believe it's intentional. With any other streams that I find online, I'm rarely bothered with slow feed rates and fuzzy, indistinct picture quality. If and when I find another streaming provider, you can believe that I'll drop Sling like a hot rock.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Sling TV is a scam. You sign up for trial to see a certain program only to find out you can't get it. i.e. certain football game. Playback sucks anyway. You think you canceled same day so you never log in again. You notice card was charged for service. You call to get refund and NO REFUND! Big surprise! Once initial email is sent out. You never receive any other communication. No content update like Netflix. No email notification about trial ending. No email about your card was charged for auto renew. Easy to forget about it. You never use and never log in. Obvious they do that on purpose so you forget about it and never use but still get charged. Too much money too for what you get. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I Purchased a Roku. It said that I would get a $35 credit for Sling TV. When I called to get the credit they wasted 20 minutes of my time then transferred me and I was told I could not get the credit because I already made an account and the only way you can get it is when you first set up your Roku. I believe this offer is bogus and I personally do not want to ever deal with a company that pulls this type of scam.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My trial was blue/orange. I don't watch tv that much so I kept blue for my local sports team and added DVR so I could record some of the games. I find out that my local basketball team is playing on tv but when I look at the menu so I could record the game Sling is only showing the local team from another state and gives me a record option. On the trial, that team was blacked out, rather Sling just showed my local basketball team. So in other words, if my local team wasn't playing that other team from another state, it got blacked out!

What is even more strange and disappointing, games that have been scheduled do not show up in the menu. For example, if I write in the search box the team I'm looking for, I get no results, but if I go through the menu and find the station, click on the station, I find out what games are playing. And one of the games was the team I was interested in that didn't show up in the original search!

Selection of movies is thin, there are some modern ones but it's very thin. I wasted 30 dollars. What good is it when they blackout your local team for a team in another state? Does that make sense, does that sell to the consumer? No! I suggest for those reading this, if you are just curious, then use the 7-day trial and cancel it. But don't buy the monthly plan if you want quality!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I was extremely disappointed that I paid one year full amount upfront and very soon (day after) realized that I can't cancel the subscription till next year. Meaning, you will get no refund if you change your mind next day. Disgusting fact is that you pay good amount hoping to see a channel in particular throughout a year but if that channel is no longer under Sling radar, that's it!!! YOU REALIZE HOW DUMB YOU ARE BY SELECTING YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION WITH SLING. I don't know how monthly subscription works but definitely THINK THRICE before you fall for yearly subscription TRICK.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Every big game they are unable to provide good service! This is a waste of money! This is awful!!! If you are expecting just average streaming during a big game you are crazy! Every time without fail terrible!!! This only happens during big games.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The problem was I got a gift card yesterday and then I put the money on it then they legit took money from my account and put it in their pockets. I couldn't buy service after redeeming my card. They took money and never gave me a refund. Do not try to buy Sling TV gift cards. It's a way Sling can rob you. How terrible. Read this and not buy Sling TV service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I wanted to do the 7 day free trial. I could not get it to work with my TV. I canceled and reactivated because I thought I did something wrong. I never received the 7 days trial - and I was charged. What a Scam. Still cannot get it to work on my TV. When I contacted them - they acted like they were going to help me -but basically I was told so sorry - but tuff. I wish I had read all these negative review first!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I chose to try Sling TV free instead of paying 2 months upfront for the free Roku stick. I'm certainly glad I did. If I want to watch something like a TV episode, it's going to take me hours to do so. It will freeze, I'll back out 10+ times before it will unfreeze, then I'll have to watch ads again because it started in the wrong place. I'll watch ads for 15 minutes or so, then it will freeze again on the episode. This doesn't happen with Hulu live. I've tested it many times and my internet connection is great. Netflix and Amazon load without issues as well. I figured I would just give it a try since it's cheaper than Hulu, but it would be a waste of money since I can't watch a complete episode or movie without freezing.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered Sling TV to watch MN Vikings vs Detroit Lions on December 23 as was advertised. This game was not on FOX but the Cardinals. I tried contacting customer support but hold time too long. I canceled my subscription immediately. Today the 28th I contacted Sling because my credit card had been charged and no refund. I expedited that. When I called and explained the situation I was told they would not refund charge. I also spoke to a supervisor and was given the "our policy is" runaround. NO refund. Never do business with these deceptive, inflexible people. If I ran my business the way they do I would be out of business. Use HULU not SLING. I did the same thing with HULU TV to get the Vikings vs Detroit game as advertised. The game was not carried. On the 26th I called HULU and explained and they were apologetic and promptly refunded my money. That's good common sense and honest way to do business. Use HULU not Sling!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was with Sling TV for several years. I decided to go with another company, as the service was very unstable with Sling TV. I noticed a charge on my credit card the following month. I online chatted and spoke over the phone with a representative with Sling TV. They claim I restarted the service, which is impossible. I had a new provider and had no reason to use Sling TV. They can make any claim they want about a connecting to make money off the unsuspecting consumer. This is ridiculous and they should be shut down. The service isn't even good and I wouldn't have stayed with them as long as I did if there were other options in my area. DON'T GET SLING TV.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Like another reviewer here, I tried to cancel online and it said it went through. Then, this month I see I am getting charged again. I call them and they say they can see that I never tried to cancel. I was like, "No, that is BS, I did try to cancel." He gives me their rehearsed, "We will get you cancelled and we are sorry to see you go but we will get you cancelled." I said, "I tried to cancel it already." Asked him about the charge and he says, "Can't do it, it's in our terms you agreed to." I said, "But I tried to cancel online weeks ago and you guys just charged me again." Crap customer service. We only got this for the football service. But found you can stream it better with Reddit. Also, don't need their crap service channels because they don't stream well. You can download Kodi for free on Firestick, Roku, all that jazz. Don't pay for this flaming dumpster fire.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I canceled Sling last month. Got charged again this month. Called Sling service. After 50 minutes finally got him to cancel for me. Said I "should get" email confirming in 24 hours. Oh and they do not credit erroneous charged because "Sling receives payment in advance of service". Never again. Buyers beware!!! Do not sign up, do not provide your CC INFORMATION!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I cut the cord to cable months ago. I've been sampling several services, Sling TV included. Last night I sat down and got invested in time watching a nice Christmas movie when 80% of the way through the movie stalled and the little circle began chasing itself over and over and over again. After about 5 minutes, I backed out, checked my connection with my internet (which I have the Blast high-speed service), and I had a STRONG connection.

So I went back and checked my Netflix, Fubo, and Prime and was able to get into all three of those. So I tried Sling again ... and again I watched the circle chase itself and I double checked to make sure I was logged in. Still, for another ten minutes I got no connection. So then I deleted the app, downloaded it again, logged back in and upon logging in, it again sat there spinning its little circle at me. 45 minutes later and I never got to see the movie's ending. I don't pay for service like this. I canceled. I then turned on Fubo without any difficulties. I'll be staying with them.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I canceled Sling last month. Got charged again this month. Went online and the site no longer recognized my password or user. Called Sling service. After 30 minutes finally got her to cancel for me. Said I "should get" email confirming in 24 hours. Oh and they do not credit erroneous charged because "Sling receives payment in advance of service". I had to laugh. How ridiculous is that for an erroneous charge. May as well have been speaking to an AI. Shame on you Sling. Never again. Buyers beware.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Check the fine print people. When you agree to their terms and conditions you agree to pay them without chance of any kind of refund. They also screwed me over on my free 7 day trial. I opened an account in September, but was unable to use it because of slow internet speeds. So I had to cancel the same day I opened. I reopened our subscription in December and had it for 7 days, and called the morning of the eighth to cancel and they said they were unable to give any kind of refund per their terms and conditions. Also, their two packages include like 50% of the same channels... Worthless. Don't fall for it people. Dish, DirecTV, Sling... They're all the same...** service. Stick with Netflix and Hulu.

Resolution response: Dec. 18, 2018

Finally received AirTV Player, 24 days and many phone calls after initial order. Have ordered a 2-tuner adapter and external hard drive for it. Looking forward to testing it out.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

On 11/23/2018 I ordered an introductory package of 3 months of Sling TV service plus an AirTV Player + Adapter Bundle. As of today, 12/11/2018, I still have not received my AirTV Player + Adapter Bundle, or even any tracking information for the shipment. I've contacted customer service three times, and each time they say "we'll escalate this issue and get back to you within 72 hours", but no one ever contacts me. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I ever will receive the device I paid for from Sling TV.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I signed up for the free trial thinking I could watch NBC live through their Blue plan. However, when I loaded the service, it only offered on-demand with no live NBC offerings. Same went for Fox. I immediately knew I should cancel the service since I get on-demand NBC and Fox through Hulu for much cheaper. I swore I cancelled at the end of my trial, but then a $24.99 charge appeared on my account. I contacted customer service, but they claimed I never cancelled and would not refund the charge. I DO NOT recommend Sling. Go with Hulu or YouTube TV. Both these offer live and on-demand options to fit any budget.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Very disgusting TV commercials, the service is just as bad. They won't pro-rate if you don't want it anymore. $2 a month is what this service is worth (seriously), and that's without having to sit through another orgy-centered commercial (nasty).

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought a TV from Best Buy that came with a FREE month Sling TV trial. After I started using it, they charged my credit card for $44. I contacted the company and they refused to reimburse my money even though I canceled the service the same day I requested the free trial. The company is a scam. I am not sure why a company with good reputation like Best Buy partnered up with Sling TV.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

BEWARE!!! Once they get your credit card information there is no security on the back end. The credit information will not have to be renewed. I canceled 3 times. First restarted and I canceled. Informed them it was not me. Second time it was restarted, I changed/canceled my card. Got a new credit card number and exp. date. (I know I should have blocked them.) Still because Sling does not require any updates to credit card information like Amazon or Apple. One more activation happened. This time with a pay per view fight. I informed them during the fight and canceled during the fight. I take responsibility for not being on top of things. But if I inform you during the fight that it is fraud you still cannot refund me! That is ridiculous. BEWARE! When you cancel block them with your credit card company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Tried Sling service a few months ago. Canceled it because the program which I access through the app on my TV kept freezing. They sent me a notification of cancellation but kept billing me. Had to call again to cancel and get refund. A few months later I got an email that my account has been reactivated. Contacted customer service via chat and talked to the supervisor and they acknowledged that I did not access the service, but said I still have to pay for one month service as the account can only be canceled with the next billing cycle. I was finally able to get a customer service rep on the phone and asked them to delete my credit card information from the account as I could not do it online.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I used Sling TV for 2 months, then canceled the service. I got a confirmation email for cancellation. However, they started to "silently" charge my credit card for a few months after 2 weeks of cancellation. I found this out and contacted customer service today. Unfortunately, they said it's me who re-started service (??? which I was not aware of), and they can't refund me for this mistake. Sling did not send me any email notification for this re-start of service, nor any charge/payment information. They just secretly charged me! I had to cancel the service again, and removed my credit card information from my account. Have never been treated like this by any company. Totally disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Updated on 11/29/2018: After cancelling, and reading the horror stories in the reviews, especially about spontaneous credit card charges after cancellation, I tried to delete my credit card info from my account online. It wouldn't let me. So I called my credit card company, and their agent placed a block on Sling TV so that they can't withdraw funds from my card. I didn't know that was possible. They said to keep the email that shows the cancellation. Then I found Sling TV's phone number through a search engine, although I could not find it on the Sling TV website. I will try to call them when they're open to try to remove the credit card information.

Original Review: I started with the free trial with the purpose of using this to watch the Golden State Warriors basketball games. After about a month it starts to seem like it's throttling me, and the programs not only have lots of short stops like buffering stop and starts, but sometimes it completely stops until the browser is refreshed/reloaded, which causes you to miss about a minute to a minute and a half of the game. Last night and tonight that happened several times during a game, and I missed the last minute of tonight's game! Very disappointing. That might be a deal breaker. The resolution or definition or sharpness isn't too good, sometimes it's so blurry when there's movement that I can't even see the basketball. I might switch if the stream does this stopping on a few more games.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Sling isn’t a good fit for me. I gave it a go. But to actually receive “custom” tv lineup, I had to add on this, that. It ended up around $50 not $25. Alright. I’ve had satellite and cable both. Also both included internet and phone. To be honest, the package deal with cable or satellite - no premium content is a better deal than Sling. Sling advertises “a la carte tv”. It isn’t truly. Either blue or orange or both give one a limited range that can be enhanced by add on content. Such as Dvr service, news other than default Fox, NBC, ABC and certain sports content is default. Regardless if it’s not an important inclusion to one’s tv viewing pleasure. Now for movies. The channels offered for the $25 base are uninspired. Requiring again an add on to receive a line up even close to equaling basic cable/satellite. My cable. Including internet, and phone. Is not much more than what a customized Sling would cost me.

Cable is Gives one a much wider selection in basic than the basic Sling. Even with two subscriptions of Netflix and Prime, the cable service still comes out a better deal. Perhaps if a person has never had cable or satellite, it would be a good choice. If Sling were truly customizable, I may reconsider. A la carte/ custom tv to me means a person can choose a line up of only those channels desired. It’s no bargain if I must augment my lineup with add on movies, dvr, and news to receive the choices I want because the default channels aren’t the ones I want. Sorry but Sling is not a la carte. At least not by my known definition.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

First I want to point out that I was an early adopter to DirecTV Now but their signal was awful. After a year of paying for a crappy signal I moved to Sling. The signal was night and day, couldn't be happier with how smooth everything was. The problems started when my account was hacked. I received an email about a rental purchase and immediately called. They refunded me the rental and they said if I changed my password that person would be booted. Wrong, that person was still active. After a few hours I did some research and found out that Sling has absolutely no ability to log anyone off once they are in. It only affects new logins.

With no solution in mind I asked to cancel. They confirmed and I went on with my day. The next day I turned on Sling and I still had service and checking the device list the hacker was still in. I called and they said they had no record of me canceling even though I had a ticket number. I canceled again and received the email confirmation. Two hours later, my account was reactivated. They had absolutely no security measures in place to protect the consumer.

I asked them why this happened and they said because they kept my payment method on file which means not only did changing my password do nothing, but that person had the right to reactivate the account by simply clicking a button. So I had them remove it and canceled yet again. Now I'm waiting for 3 refunds from Sling. Their pricing structure is great but the fact that they don't tell you when a new location logs in, that you can't revoke a devices rights, or they can't boot a hacked account is a deal breaker. Sorry but I will not give them a single dime until they fix this real problem.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout