3.7/5 (511 ratings)

About Sling TV

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

Pros

• Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts

Cons

• Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Bottom Line

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

Top Sling TV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! ... L...

Verified

Sling TV is PERFECT for watching those big sports games that I don’t want to miss. Getting all of the sports channels all year would cost so much more than activating Sling ... I ...

What is Sling TV?

Sling TV is similar to cable, but it transmits over the internet instead of through a cable box. To watch Sling, connect it to your chosen media streaming device, such as an Xbox, Roku or Apple TV. If you're not using a streaming device, you can download the app to your phone, computer, smart TV or any other compatible device.

With Sling TV, you can pick between the news- and entertainment-centric Sling Blue or the sports- and family-centric Sling Orange. If you'd rather not choose, you can combine both packages. All package options include a DVR function that saves to your cloud. The company offers mini-channel collections, referred to as extras, as add-ons. Premium channels such as Showtime, Starz and Epix are also options.

How much is Sling TV a month?

Sling TV offers two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan costs $30 a month, or you can get both plans for $45 a month. There are several add-on options, such as lifestyle, comedy, kid-friendly and sports channels. These extras range between $5 and $10 monthly. Other premium channels range between $3 and $10 a month.

Sling TV FAQ

What channels are on Sling TV?
The channel selection varies based on the package you choose. Some popular channels found on Sling TV include Disney, ESPN, FX, TLC and Food Network. There are also add-on options such as sports, children's programming, comedy and news.
Is Sling live tv?
Sling TV is live and offers programming as it’s broadcast. It also has a DVR feature so customers can record shows for later viewing.
Does Sling have local channels?
You can receive local channels by purchasing a separate HD antenna.
How much is Sling TV monthly?
Your monthly cost varies based on what package you choose. Sling Blue and Sling Orange each cost $30 monthly. If you want to combine both packages, your monthly cost is $45. From there, add-ons generally run between $5 and $10 a month.
Can I get a refund from Sling?
Sling does not offer refunds for prepaid or partial services. If you cancel in the middle of a month, you still pay for the full month.
Is Sling better than cable?
Unlike many cable services, Sling can be streamed from nearly any device, so it's much more portable. It also stores your DVR recordings to a cloud instead of a cable box. Plus, it's often more affordable.
How can I contact Sling TV?
Sling TV has several methods of contact. This includes online chat, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and calling directly.
Is Sling free with Amazon Prime?
No, Sling is not free with Amazon Prime. It is available to purchase through Amazon and can be watched using the Amazon Fire.

Is Sling TV good?

For those looking to cut ties with cable companies, Sling TV offers a good alternative. There are no contracts, and packages start at just $30. There are several options to build on the basic packages, though that increases the total cost. There are no long-term commitments, and you can cancel any time. Sling TV offers a service that makes it worth comparing the numbers and maybe saying goodbye to cable for good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: June 20, 2022

We gave it a try, as we were caught by the respectively cheap price in comparison to YouTube TV. We bought the basic package and added the news channel on Top. SLING has been failing us in each single dimension the WHOLE TIME. Here are some REGULAR Examples YOU WILL FACE:

1) SLING Freezes. While watching TV, it just stops and then nothing happens. The only way to get control of your TV is to switch it off and on again.
2) You open the channel up and it Buffers (see photos attached) FOREVER. The only way to come out is to switch the TV Off.
3) Customer service is absolutely useless. All they know is to blame your internet provider. Note that 24 months using YouTube TV the same WIFI was NEVER a problem.
4) Customer service: all they know is to let you switch the TV off, unplug, wait and re-plug. I did this operation in 3 days more often than in my whole life.
5) Customer service: wrote for support many times to the customer service, got an automatic EMAIL and then NEVER hear from them back.
6) Even when you click on the webpages above, there is no link.

7) Service: once you have paid, your money is GONE. SO even if you shut down this useless “TV provider” your money is GONE.

Original review: June 18, 2022

As an alternative to every increasing cable rates, I switched to Sling recently. Price is $40, with many popular channels. I added the News package for $5, and enjoy far more news channels domestic and foreign. Now the really bad: the service has gone dark several times for times as long as an hour or two, sometimes shorter. Second, the DVR feature doesn't work well. Record a program, and find recording begins halfway through! Or, fails to record it. Disappointing to find a program was never recorded. Third, they insert their own commercials, often ending after the program resumes. Terrible engineering. The engineers need to go to work early and fix Sling.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I fully understand that I'm not paying for their 'ad free' service, but in practice, they insert their ads with no regard to when or where, so they will interrupt newscasts in mid sentence. Their ads are egregious, and in all respects, they're no better than the many free services available through Roku.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I've been getting charge for a subscription I did not receive. Someone else had a subscription with another email using the service but I got billed. Read your statements. This site will not refund me my money for something I had no control over. This is a rip off!!!

Original review: May 19, 2022

I tried giving Sling another chance after my 2016 service plan. I wasn't that impress with it at that time because the content was old shows and lots of ads. It was not as $$ as it is now so I had a little more patience and forgiveness. It was a fairly new company and I figured they needed time to figure out what was working and how to improve.

Fast forward to 2022 the service is ten times WORSE! please do not waste your money on this streaming service. I was so disappointed with the TNT NBA Western Conference game from TNT. I started an hour early to get in with hopes of smooth streaming.. I was dead wrong! During the broadcast it buffers every 2 seconds. HOWEVER, during the commercials, there is about 50% less interruptions. Okay so I am annoyed but trying to figure out if I am going to keep this. Well, my answer came when SLING started showing the NBS basketball game with the 1st qtr almost OVER! Are you kidding me!?!?

I had been on Sling watching the pre-game show and then they skipped "tip-off." I am done! I went to the website to request a "Refund" but they do not offer it. SO, they got me for the 17.50 BUT not again! My friend says she is leaving too for similar reasons. I cannot / WILL NOT sign up with them again. They do not seem to care about quality of service but quantity of subscribers. DON'T DO IT!

Original review: May 18, 2022

I subscribed to Sling Blue that included $5 DVR Plus as an extra. I cancelled the $5 DVR Plus feature several days before my new billing period and it said this online and this was something that I checked several times to make sure so that I would not be charged for this on my next bill. However, I was charged for this anyway and contacted customer service to get a refund as this was a problem that was clearly their fault. The customer service rep would not refund the $5 and kept saying that Sling was a prepay service and did not give refund. He seemed a lot more interested in helping me cancel my account. I did cancel after this. Apparently Sling does not give refunds not matter the cause. NO REFUNDS whatsoever! Does not matter if it was their mistake or not. I'm not sure how they keep customers.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I want to reiterate several of the reviews on the website. My experience with Sling was very poor. When we had the service, it hardly worked and it did not work 90% of the time with poor quality. We cancelled the service in October 2021 and somehow it was reactivated without anyone’s permission in Jan/Feb 2022. We called Sling in March 2022 to dispute the charge. They said they would cancel the service: however, 1 month later, we got another charge. We disputed both charges with our credit card and only got money back for one of the charges in April 2022. Sling refuses to give us our money back from the erroneous reactivation. Clearly, we can see a disturbing pattern with this company conning customers.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Sling is so awful, 90% of the time I can't watch what I'm selecting because of technical problems or it takes 4-5 attempts and getting booted out to watch it. Also, it keeps making sign in. It's not my wifi provider because I used to have AT&T now, never had this problem, but they raised my monthly plan to $85/mo. Also, I never have this problem with Netflix or Prime. Sling sucks!!!

Original review: April 21, 2022

The love Sling after Dish started charging me a lot more when I put my account on vacation hold. Cut the cord and try Sling. I got three free days to try it out. I am saving lots of money. I watch CNN, MSNBC, HGTV and even get some local channels. I don't understand some of the bad reviews on here.

Original review: April 18, 2022

The amount of commercials is beyond belief. Sling forgets that we pay for their service but we simply don't exist to them, only the massive amount of advertisers count. Go make a sandwich and come back & the commercials will still be playing! I'm cancelling, suggest you all do as well!

Sling TV Company Information