2.19/5

371 Sling TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought a brand new current Model X900F Sony TV which I had hooked up to DirecTV. All was perfect except for DirecTV's expensive bill. I switched to Sling TV with AirTV and set it up on WiFi, with a 200+ MBPS internet (Wi-Fi was/is well over 100 MBPS at the TV location). If we streamed anything through YouTube and Netflix this setup NEVER missed a beat. Turn on Sling and you never knew what was going to happen, extremely frustrating. We had to uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV app numerous times every week.

I was ready to call up DirecTV again. But I got to thinking about internet connections and Wi-Fi so I decided to hook up everything through a hardwired ethernet connection. END of the problems. Everything records and plays back on both AirTV and Sling like it is supposed to. No more black screens, no more reinstalling the Sling app. My ONE complaint about Sling TV is their customer service people don't have a clue about how their stuff is supposed to work. Or if there is a problem what to look for. I would give Sling 5 Stars if their customer service people were actually customer service people.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had subscribed to Sling back in 2015 and it had some issues with the signal dropping out, etc. Since May of 2019 my cable bill increased and I decided to give Sling another shot. With improved channel packages and an incredible On Demand Library, I was curious to see if the glitches from the past were still there. This time around I bought the latest version of Roku, the Roku Ultra and a high end HDMI cable. In addition I ran an Ethernet cable from the router to my second Roku Ultra in the bedroom and wow what a difference! My wife and I are saving about half of what a monthly cable bill would cost. I am very pleased with the picture quality stream. Can’t see any difference from cable. Sling TV is hitting all the marks and between Sling, my local free TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access, I have plenty of programming to choose from. Very happy!

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Sling works fine. The trial period is just that. Sure, they try to sell you on staying with their service, but so does every other smart business in these day and time. With enough bandwidth (It very clear from most "reviews" here that customers do not fully understand requirements before buying in) and very basic technology understanding, Sling is a no-brainer compared to cable service price and/or other competing streaming TV service prices. People, it's not Sling, it's you. Go ahead, pay $200 minimum for any good programming package with your cable company or a lot more for other streaming content providers than Sling. I'll stick with Sling for the few cable channels I enjoy and only watch (all available on Sling Orange or Blue packages) and my local network channels (They are available in my area) PLUS my local, regional sports channel (GO CUBS!). All for $35 a month.

The complainers here are uninformed and lazy, to me. 2 side notes. 1. Did I mention Sling is offering a free preview to all subscribers for THREE of their add-on channel packages right now for 2-3 weeks. That's about 20-30 more channels, good ones, for nothing for a while. Bonus! Thanks, Sling. 2. I find I get better service and faster, too, when doing things myself. And I really like having the ability and full control myself. I do not mind NOT speaking with a human if the same thing can be accomplished myself online via configuration and settings. You can control everything yourself with Sling. Thanks again, Sling. 5 stars.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I decided to “cut the cord” after my monthly cable bill, cable-Internet-phone, topped $350. Though some are displeased with Sling, I suspect it is more of an IP issue than a problem with Sling. I opted to pay for 2 months in advance and got a free Roku, which I really like. I get many of my local channels streamed live, luckily the ones I like to watch, and a lot of other cool channels.

About buffering and glitching, it is the Internet, it happens. I didn’t notice anymore, or any fewer such issues on Sling than I do on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. If you expect a perfect-uninterrupted stream, you are expecting too much. I have gig-speed Internet from Xfinity, and just about every add on streaming service there is, and now pay two thirds less a month for my TV services. Face it, cable goes out too, and it is more expensive, insanely more expensive. Pay a lot less, get just about the same selection of content, and maybe have to reload once in a while. It is a fair trade-off in my book.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I've had Sling TV for almost 2 years now. It does exactly what I expected it to. I have had no problems with viewing any program that I have wanted to watch. My husband and I are huge sports fans so that's mostly what we watch on Sling. I went from the Orange package to the Blue package and made sure my sports extra was still added. For the money we are able to watch everything that we like, and for us it is worth it. I have had no buffering issues and it connects in a timely manner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Sling TV was great in a large metro area so I ordered it w/ indoor antenna for rural home. Prepaid 3 mos. Checked address 20 times to ensure receipt of locals. Equipment arrives; no locals; no refund. SCAM!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Whether trying to watch on my home TV or phone across multiple different WiFi networks, Sling fails to deliver a reliable streaming service. The services take awhile to load, skips and buffers continually throughout shows, and is overall abysmal compared to other streaming services that are much cheaper. Would not recommend and I have given plenty of time (3 months of service) to formulate this review.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Signed up for free 7 day Sling TV trial via Xfinity. Service was unsatisfactory, so we cancelled on 6th day. Xfinity confirmed cancellation; however, Sling sneakily without permission continued to charge our credit card for months. FRAUD.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have been eagerly trying to cut the cord, and tried Sling at first. A "senior sales associate" said that I could try Sling at a pro-rated amount, for only .50 cents a day! Discovering that my rural internet did not support their streaming service and cloud DVR to a satisfactorily level, I called to cancel. And suddenly their policy changed, and I was billed for the entire month. The "chat" associate was unwilling to accommodate my refund, despite my threats to leave bad reviews, and to call up my credit card company to stop the payment. They were unmoved. Cutting the cord does not necessarily mean better customer service.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I signed up for service as I was planning to switch from a competitor. I very quickly (within a few minutes) realized that I should have waited a few weeks to subscribe due to an overlap with my existing service. I immediately cancelled the Sling service (within less than an hour of signing up) and never consumed any services during that time. Despite a lengthy chat session with Customer Service and also disputing the charge with my credit card company, Sling has refused to remove the charge - again for service that I never consumed. Does not seem bullish for the company - are they really that desperate for one month of revenue? I intended to switch to Sling but will not consider them now after being hassled over such absurd charges. I have also attempted to call customer service again (today) but hung up after waiting on hold for over 20 minutes. Very disappointed with Sling.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout