Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

BOTTOM LINE

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

PROS

• Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts

CONS

• Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Top Sling TV Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! ... Look at Sling to be your number one "go to". No contracts, easy streaming with a Google Chromecast and enjoy!

Sling TV is PERFECT for watching those big sports games that I don’t want to miss. Getting all of the sports channels all year would cost so much more than activating Sling ... I needed support at one point and the customer service I received was really wonderful.

What is Sling TV?

Sling TV is similar to cable, but it transmits over the internet instead of through a cable box. To watch Sling, connect it to your chosen media streaming device, such as an Xbox, Roku or Apple TV. If you're not using a streaming device, you can download the app to your phone, computer, smart TV or any other compatible device.

With Sling TV, you can pick between the news- and entertainment-centric Sling Blue or the sports- and family-centric Sling Orange. If you'd rather not choose, you can combine both packages. All package options include a DVR function that saves to your cloud. The company offers mini-channel collections, referred to as extras, as add-ons. Premium channels such as Showtime, Starz and Epix are also options.

How much is Sling TV a month?

Sling TV offers two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan costs $30 a month, or you can get both plans for $45 a month. There are several add-on options, such as lifestyle, comedy, kid-friendly and sports channels. These extras range between $5 and $10 monthly. Other premium channels range between $3 and $10 a month.

Sling TV FAQ

What channels are on Sling TV?
    The channel selection varies based on the package you choose. Some popular channels found on Sling TV include Disney, ESPN, FX, TLC and Food Network. There are also add-on options such as sports, children's programming, comedy and news.
    Is Sling live tv?
    Sling TV is live and offers programming as it’s broadcast. It also has a DVR feature so customers can record shows for later viewing.
    Does Sling have local channels?
    You can receive local channels by purchasing a separate HD antenna.
    How much is Sling TV monthly?
    Your monthly cost varies based on what package you choose. Sling Blue and Sling Orange each cost $30 monthly. If you want to combine both packages, your monthly cost is $45. From there, add-ons generally run between $5 and $10 a month.
    Can I get a refund from Sling?
    Sling does not offer refunds for prepaid or partial services. If you cancel in the middle of a month, you still pay for the full month.
    Is Sling better than cable?
    Unlike many cable services, Sling can be streamed from nearly any device, so it's much more portable. It also stores your DVR recordings to a cloud instead of a cable box. Plus, it's often more affordable.
    How can I contact Sling TV?
    Sling TV has several methods of contact. This includes online chat, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and calling directly.
    Is Sling free with Amazon Prime?
    No, Sling is not free with Amazon Prime. It is available to purchase through Amazon and can be watched using the Amazon Fire.

Is Sling TV good?

For those looking to cut ties with cable companies, Sling TV offers a good alternative. There are no contracts, and packages start at just $30. There are several options to build on the basic packages, though that increases the total cost. There are no long-term commitments, and you can cancel any time. Sling TV offers a service that makes it worth comparing the numbers and maybe saying goodbye to cable for good.

Sling TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: May 16, 2020

After getting a lot of recommendations to cut the cable I did with disappointing results. Sling was offering a "happy hour" special of free tv from 5 to midnight so I thought I would try it. I like that you get a choice of programming and there are inexpensive extras you can pick. While I don't have all the choices I would like, I have quite a few. It also allows me the opportunity to resume watching if I end up turning it off before the show is over. And I'm saving $60 a month from what I was paying for cable.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have the Sling Blue package which includes all the major news channels, CNN, MSNBC, Fox and another 35 of the most popular cable channels like History, Discovery etc. I use it on Amazon Fire TV and Roku. This package is only $30.0 plus local sales tax. This package includes ten hours of free cloud DVR and you can add 50 hours of enhanced DVR for five dollars. You can fast forward, go back and pause on both packages.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2020

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! The rates are less than Netflix with many more options to choose. Look at Sling to be your number one "go to". No contracts, easy streaming with a Google Chromecast and enjoy!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I've had SlingTV for a few years, right after it came out. I was paying close to $100/month for the bare minimum satellite dish package and I wouldn't pay for any DVRs (I wasn't going to pay the additional monthly fee for the DVR receivers and the monthly cost for having DVR service). I work from home so I have to ensure I have great internet and Sling TV is SO much better than the basic satellite package I was paying for! I have so many more channels, I've never had any issues with streaming and another bonus - I don't have to worry about not having any TV when it snows (living in Utah means your satellite dish gets covered in snow multiple times and you have ZERO TV).

They just raised their prices like $5 but threw in 10 hours of free DVR and I've never had any form of DVR before and I love it! The extra cost is worth it - it's still cheaper than any cable or satellite package and I'll never go back. Even when I'm working and running all my programs, I can stream all day with no issues. You can also go back (on some channels) and watch shows that you may have missed. Maybe you fell asleep and missed the new episode of your favorite show? Most of my channels allow me to go back and watch the last 2-3 days of programming. There's also TONS of shows available on demand. I find myself watching this more than Netflix.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have been with Sling for a couple of years now, Sling television has improved a lot. There's more channels and TV deals that's available. The price is convenient because sometimes there's nothing good on some channels. For the buck its a good deal, I just hope it authorized with apps like TNT, TBS, MTV and other apps so you don't always got to watch it on the sling app. Thanks, it good TV service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Sling advertised on the package I bought, The Tennis Channel and NBC Sports who both carried the French open live on their individual channels, but blocked the content on their (Sling's) site after I had already paid for the service based on their advertising. When I complained they did nothing and committed only to pass my complaint to the providers when it was clearly Sling TV who advertised falsely and lied to gain viewership for the event..

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Had high expectations, but the tech falls short. I am an ex-YoutubeTV user (early days $35).

The good:

1) OTA channels integrated in their channel guide nicely - you need an antenna but for that modest investment, you get the purest, highest quality HD signal possible. My YoutubeTV had reduced quality by my perception on channels recently. Not an issue here. (I was once on a team that developed video compression software, so I know video quality, JND.) Oddly I can't get the local PBS station, which has their antenna in the exact same location as all the other big 4 OTA I do get, and I am 31miles away, in absolutely flat terrain. Still trying to resolve that. I have a new '75mi' antenna with rotor and it is aimed at 177 degrees precisely for my location.

2) Price - $30, even $35 is a great value.

3) Streaming channels have high quality.

4) Pleasant and available telephone support.

5) You get to chose how much storage you want - up to 2TB (32 bit limit of a drive) since you buy/provide separately from the DVR device.

6) You can swap from their Orange and Blue almost instantaneously.

7) Pretty solid sports offering on that Orange channel.

The Bad:

1) The User Experience is about 10 years old, for example:

- You can't pause/rwd/ffwd the current channel you are watching, unless you are recording it too. Very annoying. Yes, it takes up a decoder, but give me the option of making that a default feature.

- When you use the guide it does not keep a view of the current channel running. Old world. You get nothing but the guide.

- Lots of pause/buffering - I have a verified 112mbps - plenty of bandwidth with very little else - and still have issues. Hard to diagnose what is the issue. But I worry the 32bit Airtv is overwhelmed. Maybe it is when I am recording on one channel and watching another, but still HD should not consume more than 13mbps per signal (and more like 5).

- Guide does not start and stop shows on time. e.g., might record an extra 5+ mins at the end or beginning. So odd. My guess is YTTV manually edits the guide to fix automated channel selection.

- Limited prioritization of retention - e.g. Tivo lets you set 'last 5/25/all', Youtube keeps everything (like that is a big deal, they keep one copy of everything on a server I could host in my basement and if they need to serve it up, they spool up to deliver to the demand). Not sure why they can't do that too - other than cost of content - maybe their contracts don't allow it (part of getting that $30 a month deal).

- And this part is deceptively unclear in all the literature before purchase. Their DVR only records your OTA channels, not their streaming channels. For that you have to use up the very limited 10hrs of Cloud recording it comes with (so like 3 football games and you're done!) or spend more $$ to get 50 hrs (which is still not much if you enjoy a few series) YTubeTV is unlimited. (but, I know, YTTV is also much more expensive).

- Guide does not give you much info on live feeds, e.g. it says "College FOOTBALL" but not "NotreDame vs **" so you have to open it up to look. Like I said OLD school.

- Managing content/recordings is not quick or simple. I think the TIvo model is the best I have seen so far, particularly when the storage is your local drive as it is with them and Sling/Airtv.

There you have it - more info than you get before you make a purchase (that would be very hard to figure out in a 7 day evaluation).

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I made an account simply to review Sling TV's poor performance, both in product quality, and in customer service. I do not leave bad reviews, this was so poor, I felt obligated to warn others. Their app has a habit of crashing, and is often unwatchable. When we were not satisfied with service, we cancelled and asked for a refund. We found that they do not offer any refunds, even partial, unless service had been cancelled within two days. For streaming service, this is not a fair timeframe to expect a customer to properly access your product. We had spent the week making sure our internet was working, and giving Sling a chance.

However, once it was clear it did not work, and was a very unsatisfactory experience, we hoped to simply express our displeasure and get our money back. They are apparently notorious for not issuing refunds. In a world full of streaming service options, they cannot get away with this policy. We were left with such a negative impression that all I will do from now on is make sure everyone knows how terrible they are. That's poor marketing strategy on their part.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I called Sling TV to cancel my trial on Oct 1. Two days later I am charged $112 on my credit card. I talked to a rep who told me I activated my trial on that day. I told her that was not true. I explained I did not want the service and she said, "Too bad you are already billed" and will not help me. The original lady said she took care of it. She LIED! NEVER get sling tv.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Sling TV does not have primetime NFL games other than Sunday Night Football. The paid subscription will charge you for 2 months up front. I cancelled my subscription within 1 hour of signing up and could not receive a refund.

Sling TV Company Information