Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.13/5

Sling TV Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought a brand new current Model X900F Sony TV which I had hooked up to DirecTV. All was perfect except for DirecTV's expensive bill. I switched to Sling TV with AirTV and set it up on WiFi, with a 200+ MBPS internet (Wi-Fi was/is well over 100 MBPS at the TV location). If we streamed anything through YouTube and Netflix this setup NEVER missed a beat. Turn on Sling and you never knew what was going to happen, extremely frustrating. We had to uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV app numerous times every week.

I was ready to call up DirecTV again. But I got to thinking about internet connections and Wi-Fi so I decided to hook up everything through a hardwired ethernet connection. END of the problems. Everything records and plays back on both AirTV and Sling like it is supposed to. No more black screens, no more reinstalling the Sling app. My ONE complaint about Sling TV is their customer service people don't have a clue about how their stuff is supposed to work. Or if there is a problem what to look for. I would give Sling 5 Stars if their customer service people were actually customer service people.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had subscribed to Sling back in 2015 and it had some issues with the signal dropping out, etc. Since May of 2019 my cable bill increased and I decided to give Sling another shot. With improved channel packages and an incredible On Demand Library, I was curious to see if the glitches from the past were still there. This time around I bought the latest version of Roku, the Roku Ultra and a high end HDMI cable. In addition I ran an Ethernet cable from the router to my second Roku Ultra in the bedroom and wow what a difference! My wife and I are saving about half of what a monthly cable bill would cost. I am very pleased with the picture quality stream. Can’t see any difference from cable. Sling TV is hitting all the marks and between Sling, my local free TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access, I have plenty of programming to choose from. Very happy!

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Sling works fine. The trial period is just that. Sure, they try to sell you on staying with their service, but so does every other smart business in these day and time. With enough bandwidth (It very clear from most "reviews" here that customers do not fully understand requirements before buying in) and very basic technology understanding, Sling is a no-brainer compared to cable service price and/or other competing streaming TV service prices. People, it's not Sling, it's you. Go ahead, pay $200 minimum for any good programming package with your cable company or a lot more for other streaming content providers than Sling. I'll stick with Sling for the few cable channels I enjoy and only watch (all available on Sling Orange or Blue packages) and my local network channels (They are available in my area) PLUS my local, regional sports channel (GO CUBS!). All for $35 a month.

The complainers here are uninformed and lazy, to me. 2 side notes. 1. Did I mention Sling is offering a free preview to all subscribers for THREE of their add-on channel packages right now for 2-3 weeks. That's about 20-30 more channels, good ones, for nothing for a while. Bonus! Thanks, Sling. 2. I find I get better service and faster, too, when doing things myself. And I really like having the ability and full control myself. I do not mind NOT speaking with a human if the same thing can be accomplished myself online via configuration and settings. You can control everything yourself with Sling. Thanks again, Sling. 5 stars.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I currently have Sling TV and am very happy with it. I canceled service a year with no problems whatsoever so I don't understand other people's experience. Yes, occasionally it kicks you back to the homescreen and you have to restart and no they don't have my local channels. Those are my only two complaints about the service. Where else can you get all of the sports channels for $30.00? I give Sling 4.5 stars and would recommend this service to everyone.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I decided to “cut the cord” after my monthly cable bill, cable-Internet-phone, topped $350. Though some are displeased with Sling, I suspect it is more of an IP issue than a problem with Sling. I opted to pay for 2 months in advance and got a free Roku, which I really like. I get many of my local channels streamed live, luckily the ones I like to watch, and a lot of other cool channels.

About buffering and glitching, it is the Internet, it happens. I didn’t notice anymore, or any fewer such issues on Sling than I do on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. If you expect a perfect-uninterrupted stream, you are expecting too much. I have gig-speed Internet from Xfinity, and just about every add on streaming service there is, and now pay two thirds less a month for my TV services. Face it, cable goes out too, and it is more expensive, insanely more expensive. Pay a lot less, get just about the same selection of content, and maybe have to reload once in a while. It is a fair trade-off in my book.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I tried to cancel my Sling account for several days, but could not access the site and then got locked out. When I did access the site, I cancelled on the 15th of the month and my account had been charged on the 14th for the next month of service. After it was confirmed that I had been trying for several days, with difficulties beyond my control, and before the next month's service was billed to my account, Sling still would not refund the charge. However, they assured me that I would not be charged again, but I could enjoy the service for the remainder of the month. I haven't been using the service, hence why I wanted to cancel. The channels my family and I watch are available at a cheaper monthly rate, through a different provider.

Customer Service is apparently not a priority to Sling and I will be sure to never have their service reinstated nor will I share a positive experience rating with them. The customer service representative advised that Sling has a transparent refund policy and therefore would not refund my charge, but were there any other questions I had....no, no questions and my negative experience is also very transparent. So, the moral of my review is that if you value great customer service, DO NOT expect to receive it from Sling.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Totally gone downhill the past 6 months alone. Constantly rebooting, right in the middle of programs. Almost as if the Sling TV team takes off at night and kinda wanders in whenever they feel like it in the morning. Awful. Adios - - I'll gladly pay more to get anything at all that stay connected.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I reactivated Sling recently in order to catch the last part of an ACC football game, with the intention of continuing the service through football and basketball season. According to information I turned up in a quick web search, the ACC Network was available through ESPN3 as part of the Orange package. Every time I tried to stream the game though, I got a message from ESPN that the game wasn't available through the video provider. By the time I gave up the game was almost over and as it was after 11 PM I didn't feel like contacting Sling at that point.

When I had a chance to get in touch with them two days later, the rep told me told me that ACC Network was only available as part of a $10 sports add on, and since this was supposedly clearly indicated on their website, they would only cancel my subscription and not refund me the $25 dollars (for service that I had not used). I told the rep that if they weren't willing to refund me the money I would never re-up with Sling again and it was obvious he could care less. It turns out the story about the ACC Network info being clearly indicated on their web site was a lie, as the ACC Network logo is NOT listed in the description of the sports package on their main page. The only way you can find that information is by digging through the announcements part of the site. Based on other reviews it's clear I'm not the only one that's had a horrible experience with their customer support. Maybe they'll learn the hard way when it keeps costing them subscribers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Today, 10/7/2019, the next monthly subscription was to be paid. So while the new monthly charge was still pending, I called to cancel my subscription and I asked for my money to be refunded. They refused to refund my money for the new month that is just starting, not past. They tried to tell me that they do not give refunds for the partial month (this is not a partial month of service, it is the day of a new month of service). I said to the agent, this is not a partial month! At the beginning of the trial, THEY NEVER DISCLOSED THAT THEY DO NOT GIVE REFUNDS OR CREDITS (don't want A WORTHLESS CREDIT ANYWAY!).

I did a trial of the Orange package, and it is boring! At first, I had the Blue and it was boring so I switched during the trial. The offered channels had SILLY SHOWS AND UNINTERESTING MOVIES. For the price of Sling TV, I paid less money for Amazon Prime and Netflix combined! SLING TV IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY to be bored out of your mind; IT IS NO BETTER THAN THE CABLE COMPANIES. With them, you paid a high monthly charge for a bunch of channels that you are not going to watch and are boring! Don't waste your money on SLING!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

When we first got Sling (Blue) it was ok. Not a lot of channel choices, but we don't watch much anyways. Now, it is turning off randomly, and the sound goes off right and left. You can just exit the Sling app and then go back in and it fixes the problem, but that gets old after a while. I called them on it and they said that "it happens". Well, yeah, it happens... multiple time a day on both of our TVs. Also when a show is supposed to start at the top of the hour, and the show before it is running over, it will record the show it says is playing, instead of just letting you watch the last minute of the show ending. If you do this, they will charge you for recording the program. If you do it by mistake a couple of times, they auto put you in paying for their "cloud service", again, charging you for it.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout