Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.91/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Sling TV Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Service is great, affordable and flexible but I cannot see Houston Astros games or UT Longhorns or WGN Super Station. Sling allows you to switch back and forth without charge between it packages which is a real benefit but I still can´t get the Astros or WGN. I can't find a provider for the Astros games except Root and Uverse which are not available here. DirecTV offers the games but the package is more than $200 per month. Sling is $25 per month...I can´t afford DirecTV.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought a brand new current Model X900F Sony TV which I had hooked up to DirecTV. All was perfect except for DirecTV's expensive bill. I switched to Sling TV with AirTV and set it up on WiFi, with a 200+ MBPS internet (Wi-Fi was/is well over 100 MBPS at the TV location). If we streamed anything through YouTube and Netflix this setup NEVER missed a beat. Turn on Sling and you never knew what was going to happen, extremely frustrating. We had to uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV app numerous times every week.

I was ready to call up DirecTV again. But I got to thinking about internet connections and Wi-Fi so I decided to hook up everything through a hardwired ethernet connection. END of the problems. Everything records and plays back on both AirTV and Sling like it is supposed to. No more black screens, no more reinstalling the Sling app. My ONE complaint about Sling TV is their customer service people don't have a clue about how their stuff is supposed to work. Or if there is a problem what to look for. I would give Sling 5 Stars if their customer service people were actually customer service people.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 7, 2019

I had subscribed to Sling back in 2015 and it had some issues with the signal dropping out, etc. Since May of 2019 my cable bill increased and I decided to give Sling another shot. With improved channel packages and an incredible On Demand Library, I was curious to see if the glitches from the past were still there. This time around I bought the latest version of Roku, the Roku Ultra and a high end HDMI cable. In addition I ran an Ethernet cable from the router to my second Roku Ultra in the bedroom and wow what a difference! My wife and I are saving about half of what a monthly cable bill would cost. I am very pleased with the picture quality stream. Can’t see any difference from cable. Sling TV is hitting all the marks and between Sling, my local free TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access, I have plenty of programming to choose from. Very happy!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Sling works fine. The trial period is just that. Sure, they try to sell you on staying with their service, but so does every other smart business in these day and time. With enough bandwidth (It very clear from most "reviews" here that customers do not fully understand requirements before buying in) and very basic technology understanding, Sling is a no-brainer compared to cable service price and/or other competing streaming TV service prices. People, it's not Sling, it's you. Go ahead, pay $200 minimum for any good programming package with your cable company or a lot more for other streaming content providers than Sling. I'll stick with Sling for the few cable channels I enjoy and only watch (all available on Sling Orange or Blue packages) and my local network channels (They are available in my area) PLUS my local, regional sports channel (GO CUBS!). All for $35 a month.

The complainers here are uninformed and lazy, to me. 2 side notes. 1. Did I mention Sling is offering a free preview to all subscribers for THREE of their add-on channel packages right now for 2-3 weeks. That's about 20-30 more channels, good ones, for nothing for a while. Bonus! Thanks, Sling. 2. I find I get better service and faster, too, when doing things myself. And I really like having the ability and full control myself. I do not mind NOT speaking with a human if the same thing can be accomplished myself online via configuration and settings. You can control everything yourself with Sling. Thanks again, Sling. 5 stars.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I decided to “cut the cord” after my monthly cable bill, cable-Internet-phone, topped $350. Though some are displeased with Sling, I suspect it is more of an IP issue than a problem with Sling. I opted to pay for 2 months in advance and got a free Roku, which I really like. I get many of my local channels streamed live, luckily the ones I like to watch, and a lot of other cool channels.

About buffering and glitching, it is the Internet, it happens. I didn’t notice anymore, or any fewer such issues on Sling than I do on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. If you expect a perfect-uninterrupted stream, you are expecting too much. I have gig-speed Internet from Xfinity, and just about every add on streaming service there is, and now pay two thirds less a month for my TV services. Face it, cable goes out too, and it is more expensive, insanely more expensive. Pay a lot less, get just about the same selection of content, and maybe have to reload once in a while. It is a fair trade-off in my book.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

SLING is horrible! I didn't see how Oregon came back and won last 56 seconds of Wash St. vs Oregon game on ESPN3. Just blackout. Or when Clippers & Celtics when game went to overtime on ESPN. Had like a 2hr 30min limit. SLING makes me miss cable with Xfinity. At least they were dependable but for double the cost.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Wanted to cancel my subscription 2 days onto the new billing cycle. They do not allow a refund of my money. Also said it would be one price when I signed up but ended up being a higher price. Go figure. I will not be returning and will make sure I let all my friends know the poor customer service, low picture quality, and overcharging.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

First, we purchased the package that was supposed to include MotorTrend, but once we were actually up and running discovered the channel is not available to us unless we pay an additional $5 per month. This is probably the least annoying thing about the service. Sling plays its own specialized commercials, meaning the commercials you see are not the same you would see with a local cable channel. They are extremely repetitive and cut in at strange times. I don't mind a few commercials to keep costs down but this service has a bad habit of freezing during commercial breaks, meaning you have to back out of the show and when you re-start you're forced to watch the same commercials AGAIN!

Also annoying is program timing. If you start over a show, or the stream freezes towards the scheduled end of a program, you have to wait until the next scheduled program starts to watch that channel again. Sometimes channels stop working period. Earlier this week Comedy Central would not play for over an hour. At first my wife and I were brushing off these issues but after living with the service for about 6 months now we're considering other options. Makes you wonder if the service is crappy on purpose. Very rarely would receive satellite offers in the mail but after signing up for Sling I'm getting an offer letter from Dish Network every 3 weeks.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Sling TV has the worst customer service I've dealt with, their video service is shoddy, and their channel selection is inconsistent. I'd look at YouTube TV or any other service before using them again.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Stay away. Just like others was told to get trial for seven days. Worst show. Picture are bad. So many ads. Was told only 15 dollar per month, only one day use and cancel the subscription. Today I got charged 25 dollar, what a scam. I want a full refund.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout