3.8/5 (606 ratings)

About Sling TV

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

Pros

• Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts

Cons

• Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Bottom Line

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

Top Sling TV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! ... L...

Verified

Sling TV is PERFECT for watching those big sports games that I don’t want to miss. Getting all of the sports channels all year would cost so much more than activating Sling ... I ...

What is Sling TV?

Sling TV is similar to cable, but it transmits over the internet instead of through a cable box. To watch Sling, connect it to your chosen media streaming device, such as an Xbox, Roku or Apple TV. If you're not using a streaming device, you can download the app to your phone, computer, smart TV or any other compatible device.

With Sling TV, you can pick between the news- and entertainment-centric Sling Blue or the sports- and family-centric Sling Orange. If you'd rather not choose, you can combine both packages. All package options include a DVR function that saves to your cloud. The company offers mini-channel collections, referred to as extras, as add-ons. Premium channels such as Showtime, Starz and Epix are also options.

How much is Sling TV a month?

Sling TV offers two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan costs $30 a month, or you can get both plans for $45 a month. There are several add-on options, such as lifestyle, comedy, kid-friendly and sports channels. These extras range between $5 and $10 monthly. Other premium channels range between $3 and $10 a month.

Sling TV FAQ

What channels are on Sling TV?
The channel selection varies based on the package you choose. Some popular channels found on Sling TV include Disney, ESPN, FX, TLC and Food Network. There are also add-on options such as sports, children's programming, comedy and news.
Is Sling live tv?
Sling TV is live and offers programming as it’s broadcast. It also has a DVR feature so customers can record shows for later viewing.
Does Sling have local channels?
You can receive local channels by purchasing a separate HD antenna.
How much is Sling TV monthly?
Your monthly cost varies based on what package you choose. Sling Blue and Sling Orange each cost $30 monthly. If you want to combine both packages, your monthly cost is $45. From there, add-ons generally run between $5 and $10 a month.
Can I get a refund from Sling?
Sling does not offer refunds for prepaid or partial services. If you cancel in the middle of a month, you still pay for the full month.
Is Sling better than cable?
Unlike many cable services, Sling can be streamed from nearly any device, so it's much more portable. It also stores your DVR recordings to a cloud instead of a cable box. Plus, it's often more affordable.
How can I contact Sling TV?
Sling TV has several methods of contact. This includes online chat, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and calling directly.
Is Sling free with Amazon Prime?
No, Sling is not free with Amazon Prime. It is available to purchase through Amazon and can be watched using the Amazon Fire.

Is Sling TV good?

For those looking to cut ties with cable companies, Sling TV offers a good alternative. There are no contracts, and packages start at just $30. There are several options to build on the basic packages, though that increases the total cost. There are no long-term commitments, and you can cancel any time. Sling TV offers a service that makes it worth comparing the numbers and maybe saying goodbye to cable for good.

Sling TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Regardless of my experience never use a company that won't offer a refund. I signed up to watch the world cup games live and they don't offer all of them live. They told me that they only offer live games that my local FOX network airs. I asked for a cancellation and a refund. Well they don't offer refunds. They took my money.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

Unless you have great wifi don't bother getting Sling. When you record a channel on dvr 50% of the time it records what you want. Like nfl I'll try to record a game and it will record a game not even close to mine. Also half the HD channels don't work. Makes you use regular channels not the HD.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

There a thing used to be for you to get rid of cable TV. Well, cable TV is looking more and more appealing every day because Sling keeps jacking up their prices for like what do I get 20 channels? The right heights are completely absurd and it’s not like the service is any better if anything it’s worse. Cuts out all the time, buffers, and it is not my Internet. Half the time I have to completely disconnect because Sling is jacked up. Don’t waste your money. Stick with cable or satellite. Absolute joke that they raise the rates as much as they have. I think it’s gone up $20 since I started with them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I signed up to watch the Soccer World Cup games, and even though they were advertised and shown in their interface, the one I tried to watch had a glitch and wasn't being streamed. When clicking on the link to the game, a glitch would start streaming something else. What is infuriating is that I couldn't request a refund for my subscription.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

We've switched away from Sling because it's an extremely poor TV provider. Constant buffering, continual pixilation and weekly rebooting. It may be less expensive but the daily frustration, excuses and poor quality is way over the top. Don't bother with Sling.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I switched from cable to Sling about 2 years ago, after I could no longer justify the exorbitant cost of cable & the constant price increases. For me, it's been a decent alternative. The problem I have is the amount of ad time keeps getting worse. To watch ANY on demand program, there is a never ending loop of 6-7 minutes of ads before the program even starts. After it starts, for a 1 hr program, there are 17-20 minutes of time they play ads. It's becoming a deal breaker and I'm starting to look into other alternatives.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Wouldn’t recommend to anyone. I cancelled my account and a month later was still billed. Tried to get a refund and they said because I contacted them

a day after being charged, they couldn’t refund me because it’s policy. Hadn’t even been 24 hours since I was billed and they wouldn’t refund my money back. Had to dispute the charge with my bank after it posted because it was still in pending status. Biggest ripoff ever. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I was Sling TV customer for about 6-7 years. I would say 75% of the entire duration of me being a Sling customer I received POOR service. The channels are ALWAYS going in and out. Then to make things worst, when you get tired of being robbed paying for a product you are not receiving you call asking for a credit then they give you $5. I have had Youtube TV for the last couple months and it is waaaay better than Sling and worth it, I should of switched years ago.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I am so disappointed with my hour and a half experience with Sling. I joined it for one reason only which was to watch a college football game. There were plenty of glitches before they got my money only to discover that they don't offer the very coverage I was looking for. Prior to joining I checked in two places for BTN and ESPN. Sling said they offered the coverage I wanted. After going round in circles there is no streaming for that game in spite of being advertised. I never used it and they refuse to return the money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I had signed up myself and my mom for Sling but she wasn't using hers so I cancelled it on 2/8/22. We received the cancellation confirmation which took effect for a couple months but then on 5/26 they started charging my CC again. I didn't notice it right away because I still used Sling on my tv. They charged my CC for 5 months and refuse to refund me my money. They stated they would send me an email stating they have removed my CC from their records but that hasn't happened. They are a horrible company to deal with and won't do anything to help you, even when you speak to the manager, Leo. Make sure you delete the app from your tv because even if you accidentally open the app they will start charging your card again.

Sling TV Company Information