Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.54/5

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

BOTTOM LINE

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

PROS
  • Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts
CONS
  • Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Top Sling TV Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! ... Look at Sling to be your number one "go to". No contracts, easy streaming with a Google Chromecast and enjoy!

Sling TV is PERFECT for watching those big sports games that I don’t want to miss. Getting all of the sports channels all year would cost so much more than activating Sling ... I needed support at one point and the customer service I received was really wonderful.

What is Sling TV?

Sling TV is similar to cable, but it transmits over the internet instead of through a cable box. To watch Sling, connect it to your chosen media streaming device, such as an Xbox, Roku or Apple TV. If you're not using a streaming device, you can download the app to your phone, computer, smart TV or any other compatible device.

With Sling TV, you can pick between the news- and entertainment-centric Sling Blue or the sports- and family-centric Sling Orange. If you'd rather not choose, you can combine both packages. All package options include a DVR function that saves to your cloud. The company offers mini-channel collections, referred to as extras, as add-ons. Premium channels such as Showtime, Starz and Epix are also options.

How much is Sling TV a month?

Sling TV offers two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan costs $30 a month, or you can get both plans for $45 a month. There are several add-on options, such as lifestyle, comedy, kid-friendly and sports channels. These extras range between $5 and $10 monthly. Other premium channels range between $3 and $10 a month.

Sling TV FAQ

What channels are on Sling TV?
    The channel selection varies based on the package you choose. Some popular channels found on Sling TV include Disney, ESPN, FX, TLC and Food Network. There are also add-on options such as sports, children's programming, comedy and news.
    Is Sling live tv?
    Sling TV is live and offers programming as it’s broadcast. It also has a DVR feature so customers can record shows for later viewing.
    Does Sling have local channels?
    You can receive local channels by purchasing a separate HD antenna.
    How much is Sling TV monthly?
    Your monthly cost varies based on what package you choose. Sling Blue and Sling Orange each cost $30 monthly. If you want to combine both packages, your monthly cost is $45. From there, add-ons generally run between $5 and $10 a month.
    Can I get a refund from Sling?
    Sling does not offer refunds for prepaid or partial services. If you cancel in the middle of a month, you still pay for the full month.
    Is Sling better than cable?
    Unlike many cable services, Sling can be streamed from nearly any device, so it's much more portable. It also stores your DVR recordings to a cloud instead of a cable box. Plus, it's often more affordable.
    How can I contact Sling TV?
    Sling TV has several methods of contact. This includes online chat, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and calling directly.
    Is Sling free with Amazon Prime?
    No, Sling is not free with Amazon Prime. It is available to purchase through Amazon and can be watched using the Amazon Fire.

Is Sling TV good?

For those looking to cut ties with cable companies, Sling TV offers a good alternative. There are no contracts, and packages start at just $30. There are several options to build on the basic packages, though that increases the total cost. There are no long-term commitments, and you can cancel any time. Sling TV offers a service that makes it worth comparing the numbers and maybe saying goodbye to cable for good.

Sling TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I was scheduled to end service on circa 2-5-21, however, I was charged for the next month's service. I reached the customer service department and explained my situation. The first person with whom I spoke, completed my refund with no problem, of any kind. It is a shame, but I was truly impressed just because they did the job that was necessary with no problems of any kind. Thank you Sling, see ya in September when football season starts!

A pleased end future customer,

Glenn **

Original review: May 16, 2020

After getting a lot of recommendations to cut the cable I did with disappointing results. Sling was offering a "happy hour" special of free tv from 5 to midnight so I thought I would try it. I like that you get a choice of programming and there are inexpensive extras you can pick. While I don't have all the choices I would like, I have quite a few. It also allows me the opportunity to resume watching if I end up turning it off before the show is over. And I'm saving $60 a month from what I was paying for cable.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have the Sling Blue package which includes all the major news channels, CNN, MSNBC, Fox and another 35 of the most popular cable channels like History, Discovery etc. I use it on Amazon Fire TV and Roku. This package is only $30.0 plus local sales tax. This package includes ten hours of free cloud DVR and you can add 50 hours of enhanced DVR for five dollars. You can fast forward, go back and pause on both packages.

Original review: May 9, 2020

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! The rates are less than Netflix with many more options to choose. Look at Sling to be your number one "go to". No contracts, easy streaming with a Google Chromecast and enjoy!

Original review: May 7, 2020

The variety is good, but when I was double billed, they refused to refund me the money and they cancelled the 2nd bill for the future, but wouldn't return the funds for one. However, it is very easy to use and has a variety of local and cable channels. It has all three Hallmark channels which is nice and a variety of news and sports channels.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I spend 99% of my time trying to access Sling TV, trying to access a channel through the guide and then maybe get to watch 30 seconds of a show if I am hugely lucky and it actually loads. Then, I will be abruptly interrupted by a Sling logo saying it's using the time to advertise. Or it will pause telling you this channel is no longer accessible right now try back later. If you have been logged onto Sling and try to go to the guide and access a channel the next day or even later that day often it will be completely inaccessible to the point where you actually have to power down your computer, restart it, then log in all over again to Sling TV and try the whole thing again.

Literally, I have spent more time getting to know my laptop trying to figure out why this thing does not work, getting completely frustrated with starting over and over than watching anything. It feels like a slot machine where you only get to an actual channel with an actual show playing when the machine by chance lands on it. You never know when and you spend most of your time trying and waiting. It should not be in service at all.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I signed up for a free 3 day trial of Sling TV. After two days, I decided to cancel it. I went to my account on their website and pushed the buttons to let them know that I wanted to cancel. This month when I got my credit card statement, I see that I was charged $35 for Sling TV. I went online and chatted with their customer service agent and explained my situation. I let them know that I had canceled and that I hadn't watched Sling since my "free" trial ended. I asked for refund. I was told that I couldn't get a refund since it was a prepaid service. A reasonable company would have offered to refund my money. I have disputed the charge on my credit card. We'll see how that goes...

Original review: March 19, 2021

Garbage. The moment you want to watch a moderately popular tv event (presidential debate, certain sports game, etc), their servers get overwhelmed and the stream is so choppy it is impossible to watch. If you just wanna watch obscure channels I guess it's fine but if you plan on using it to watch bigger events, go somewhere else.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Sling TV recently changed their pricing and did not send out notifications to the account email notifying the customers. The only email received specifically said "Your DVR space is expanding to 50 hours at no extra cost." Emphasis on NO EXTRA COST. When trying to speak with the customer representative in regards to this, they were unable to verify why the price increased on my account.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Should be able to block channels from view. Why are we required to view channels we don't want displayed to others in our home in the trending line? Have already created a 'my channels' list. The garbage from this channel still shows in the trending feed (that needs to be a setting for control also - don't want to see it). The channel rating would require my blocking all news channels in order to block the one channel. Ready to cancel on day one.

Sling TV Company Information