2.44/5

313 Sling TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I bought a brand new current Model X900F Sony TV which I had hooked up to DirecTV. All was perfect except for DirecTV's expensive bill. I switched to Sling TV with AirTV and set it up on WiFi, with a 200+ MBPS internet (Wi-Fi was/is well over 100 MBPS at the TV location). If we streamed anything through YouTube and Netflix this setup NEVER missed a beat. Turn on Sling and you never knew what was going to happen, extremely frustrating. We had to uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV app numerous times every week.

I was ready to call up DirecTV again. But I got to thinking about internet connections and Wi-Fi so I decided to hook up everything through a hardwired ethernet connection. END of the problems. Everything records and plays back on both AirTV and Sling like it is supposed to. No more black screens, no more reinstalling the Sling app. My ONE complaint about Sling TV is their customer service people don't have a clue about how their stuff is supposed to work. Or if there is a problem what to look for. I would give Sling 5 Stars if their customer service people were actually customer service people.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had subscribed to Sling back in 2015 and it had some issues with the signal dropping out, etc. Since May of 2019 my cable bill increased and I decided to give Sling another shot. With improved channel packages and an incredible On Demand Library, I was curious to see if the glitches from the past were still there. This time around I bought the latest version of Roku, the Roku Ultra and a high end HDMI cable. In addition I ran an Ethernet cable from the router to my second Roku Ultra in the bedroom and wow what a difference! My wife and I are saving about half of what a monthly cable bill would cost. I am very pleased with the picture quality stream. Can’t see any difference from cable. Sling TV is hitting all the marks and between Sling, my local free TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access, I have plenty of programming to choose from. Very happy!

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Sling works fine. The trial period is just that. Sure, they try to sell you on staying with their service, but so does every other smart business in these day and time. With enough bandwidth (It very clear from most "reviews" here that customers do not fully understand requirements before buying in) and very basic technology understanding, Sling is a no-brainer compared to cable service price and/or other competing streaming TV service prices. People, it's not Sling, it's you. Go ahead, pay $200 minimum for any good programming package with your cable company or a lot more for other streaming content providers than Sling. I'll stick with Sling for the few cable channels I enjoy and only watch (all available on Sling Orange or Blue packages) and my local network channels (They are available in my area) PLUS my local, regional sports channel (GO CUBS!). All for $35 a month.

The complainers here are uninformed and lazy, to me. 2 side notes. 1. Did I mention Sling is offering a free preview to all subscribers for THREE of their add-on channel packages right now for 2-3 weeks. That's about 20-30 more channels, good ones, for nothing for a while. Bonus! Thanks, Sling. 2. I find I get better service and faster, too, when doing things myself. And I really like having the ability and full control myself. I do not mind NOT speaking with a human if the same thing can be accomplished myself online via configuration and settings. You can control everything yourself with Sling. Thanks again, Sling. 5 stars.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I decided to “cut the cord” after my monthly cable bill, cable-Internet-phone, topped $350. Though some are displeased with Sling, I suspect it is more of an IP issue than a problem with Sling. I opted to pay for 2 months in advance and got a free Roku, which I really like. I get many of my local channels streamed live, luckily the ones I like to watch, and a lot of other cool channels.

About buffering and glitching, it is the Internet, it happens. I didn’t notice anymore, or any fewer such issues on Sling than I do on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. If you expect a perfect-uninterrupted stream, you are expecting too much. I have gig-speed Internet from Xfinity, and just about every add on streaming service there is, and now pay two thirds less a month for my TV services. Face it, cable goes out too, and it is more expensive, insanely more expensive. Pay a lot less, get just about the same selection of content, and maybe have to reload once in a while. It is a fair trade-off in my book.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I've had Sling TV for almost 2 years now. It does exactly what I expected it to. I have had no problems with viewing any program that I have wanted to watch. My husband and I are huge sports fans so that's mostly what we watch on Sling. I went from the Orange package to the Blue package and made sure my sports extra was still added. For the money we are able to watch everything that we like, and for us it is worth it. I have had no buffering issues and it connects in a timely manner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: June 19, 2019

Recently Sling keeps freezing, sometimes 4 within 30 mins. Bloody frustrating. All other apps don't freeze (YouTube etc). You know when it's going to freeze as the pic is no longer 4k for a few seconds. Time they sorted things out.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Sling TV is a good option but not affordable. I thought I was in a month trial and I was not. Contacted customer service and they had pre-written information ready to send me that did not apply to my situation. As my usage was only in the first week and after you can tell my usage go down to none. I requested to cancel and get at least a partial refund if I can't get a full refund and they stated it is a prepaid service and they don't provide refunds. Because it's prepaid they will not provide and cannot provide a refund which I know to be untrue. So if you have a coupon for a trial when you sign up contact asking that same day to make sure your service is cancel before you're renewed.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I signed up for the free trial. Cancelled it, then was billed for 6 more months before I noticed...nice. Real nice. The lady I spoke with called me a liar. Definitely won't try it now!! Horrible customer service!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I subscribe it to watch ICC World Cup 2019 but it does not load. It happened couple of times, I am watching Aus vs India match today online on 3rd party websites when my Sling TV does not load up. Really sucks and horrible experience.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Started 7-day free, trial, 5th day cancelled the service. Next day accidentally hit the button on TV, it restarted the service automatically. When saw email in couple of hours cancelled the service right way and changed password so won't happen again. Got charge $40 dollars for having a service turned on by accident for couple of hours. Money hungry won't refund. They wanted me call right away, I did not get notify I am being charged. Noticed when looking at bank statement. Customer service sucks, have disconnected phone listed on bank transaction statement by the bank. That means, "You can try calling us (Sling) but you can not reach us. That is our (Sling) policy." No way customer can delete their credit card information. All the loopholes to rip customers without even letting them know. No live channel as they promised. Old shows continue coming up.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I opened my Sling account on my Roku from my tv. Well somehow there was another account opened with 1 letter different on my email address. I did not open the 2nd account. Well I have been being charged 29.99 and 49.99 since March 2019. When I called they said they would refund 1 29.99 payment but the other $90.00 I am just out. I asked them to credit my account they said no. They had no problem taking $120.00 out of my account but refuse to put any more than 29.99 back in. So they have stole $90.00 for me.

I would not get Sling TV for nothing in this world. They are crooked people. They just do what they can to rip people off. They could have called or emailed me that my card was being charged 2 a month. But they say, "We cant give you your money back or credit your account 'cause it's prepaid." I have contacted the Better Business Bureau. And I am going to contact my bank also to see what they can do. Then I will contact my attorney. So I have been paying double for 4 months and the manager told me today on the phone, "That is your problem not ours." Not a company you really want to do business with.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I signed up for Sling TV under the impression that I was getting a 7 day free trial, after all that is what they advertise! I was immediately charged 35 dollars and when I called to find out why I was told that I actually signed up for a 40% discount, apparently if you sign up through the website the 7 day free trial is not offered, the only way to receive the 7 day free trial is through XBOX. Nowhere on any commercial or advertisement does it specify that you must use an XBOX to sign up!

When I asked for a refund, I was told that Sling TV NEVER refunds money because they are prepaid service. I explained to them that not only was I upset about the false advertisement of the 7 day free trial, that I was not satisfied with the product either; I would be in the middle of a show and the screen would just go black. The supervisor blamed my internet provider instead of taking responsibility. My internet works flawlessly, I have never had an issue, clearly the problem is not my internet. It must be nice running a company that NEVER refunds money, that is a good get rich quick scheme.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Weirdly enough, Sling TV plays some absurd tv shows during a cricket match. For instance, when West Indies and Australia were playing, I could not see the last 10 overs because of their interruption with stupid tv shows. I do not recommend this channel.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I tried Sling out and what a disappointment. When your DVR shows half the time you can't fast forward through commercials. If you pause a show don't be surprised to come back and see it starts over from the beginning. The quality is much much worse than cable, even Netflix or Hulu. Massive compression pixelation, and terrible contrast colors.

Don't do Sling if you want to see a quality picture. If you care about customer service do not go with Sling. Their customer service is non existent. If you can actually talk to someone they hardly know what they're doing and have lots of issues when you're on the phone. You'll also feel like you're inconveniencing them by calling. If you're unhappy with the service too bad. You have to stop payment through your credit card company and block them from continuing to charge you because they will even if you cancel. Ask your cable company for their best deal before trying to switch. Mine gave $30 off our Internet and $45 off our TV service.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Do not get this product. I signed up for Sling while we were wintering in Arizona. Came back to Canada and I cannot cancel. They will not let me into my acct because I am in Canada. So there is no way to cancel unless I go back to the US. Just a ripoff paying 25$ American each month and not getting anything for it. Is there not a place to phone where I can resolve the issue.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Canceled a month ago and got a confirmation email and yet was billed again for $24.99 for a lousy service with double commercial time, one for the regular cable programming and the 2nd for the benefit of Sling TV. This is way overpriced for what they are offering. You get the same programming for $.99 from another provider (HULU) with much less commercials. They would not let you remove credit card info from the account and thus you have to call the credit card to do a block! Which is a hassle!

Original review: June 1, 2019

I signed up for their free 2 week trial. I decided it was not what I wanted and if I wanted these channels I would use Comcast. The account information said I had till May 30th at 6pm to cancel or I would be auto billed for the next month so I canceled on 5/29. It told me my service was done right then and there. I would not even be able to use it the last day of my 14 day free trial. I was cool with that. Well then I get an email saying I canceled on May 30th at 7:30 pm. So I was billed for the next month. I CANCELED ON 5/29. IT IS A SCAM!!! DO NOT USE SLING TV. That is so wrong to do that to someone when you know you canceled before their deadline time. I called them and they said they had a no refund policy. Even though I knew I had canceled before their deadline they could not refund my money. I ask for corporate number and she would not give me a number.

Original review: May 31, 2019

#1 fraud. Don't buy otherwise you will lose money. They don't refund. Totally a trap. Take money from your credit card without permission. Take money, give you nothing. Someday they are going to get lawsuit. Don't trust Sling TV. Fake. Yes. #1 fake too.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Not once, but twice in the last year this company has randomly reactivated my canceled subscription and started charging my credit card without my authorization. Customer service refuses to refund any charges even though it is clear I have not been using the service. Customer service policy is to never refund charges as this is a prepaid service. Stay away!

Original review: May 19, 2019

They blacked out a Yankees game that they said was being broadcast on their channels even though I am nowhere near their broadcast area. They said it was due to being a "regional" network game. It was nowhere to be found on the regional networks they claimed it was on. They then just said that "there was nothing they could do" even though the games against the same team were broadcast the past 2 days.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Terrible Customer Service/ Seems to be a Scam. My son gave me a Sling Gift Card for Mother's day because he knew I wanted to try it. After 5 attempts to register the card I chatted with customer service which was a waste of time and then I called customers service, which was another waste of time. So in the course of a 45 minute conversation I learned that you cannot use a gift card to sign up. You have to pay for the first month of service before you can use a Sling Gift Card, which was purchased at Best Buy. These terms are not stated on the card.

I was then told that I could sign up for a 7 day free trial but that they wanted my credit card # first so that they could bill me for the first month. I repeatedly told them that I wanted to use the gift card for the first month. Their answers to that were sketchy and that I had to call in the day before the free trial ended to set everything up. I was then told my Visa would be charged $1 for the free trial just for a couple of days and then it would be returned. Really? I wasted almost two hours of my time trying to get signed up to no avail. I decided that I didn't want to deal with anymore of Sling's nonsense and deceitful practices. Buyer beware. I am going to return the gift card to Best Buy and let them know the card is fraudulent because it can't be used to sign up and does not state that on the card. I want to cut the cable cord and will look into Philo TV next.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My husband and I thought we'd give Sling TV a try over Comcast. We signed up for their free one-week trial and cancelled the trial before midnight of the final day. However, when we checked our credit card statement, we were still charged. When I contacted Sling TV to find out why and ask for a refund, they informed me that I needed to cancel before the very minute I had signed up for my account a week earlier.

Here is what they told me: "As I have check here your account here you have started your account on 10-Apr-2019 04:54:14 PM EDT and it is showing here that your account was not been cancelled before on 17-Apr-2019 04:54:22 PM EDT that is why when the free trial has ended you have been charged for the monthly subscription."

When I asked when I had cancelled my account, they said, "Yes it is showing here that you did cancel your account on 17-Apr-2019 06:01:53 PM EDT". So, instead of being an end of the day cancellation, they charged me for a whole month of service based on cancelling my account 1 hour and 7 minutes after the supposed "window" that was not clear from the beginning. When I contacted them to clear up this misunderstanding, they said there was nothing they would do and that I was at fault. On top of this, the service is slow and gets stuck a lot when you pause or fast forward. I am not impressed with the service, billing, or customer service and don't recommend Sling TV.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I actually like Sling. It does freeze up, often, but it is better than it used to be. However, my tablet had started rebooting while I was watching Sling. Downloaded Sling on my phone, my phone started rebooting.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Tried out Sling on the 7 day "Free" trial. The constant buffering was awful and after hours on the phone with tech support nothing could be done so I cancelled before the 7 day free trial was over. Come to find out Sling kept on charging us for two months So after multiple phone calls hour on the phone on hold I got a refund for one month and they were going to do that until I mention feedback on social media, the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's Office. Horrible company set up to make it very difficult to cancel and worse to extract their money sucking umbilical cord from my credit card. Beware.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I suspended my Sling service for two months, starting with May 2019 and was not supposed to be billed until July 2019. Woke up to being billed this month. I suspended service in early April and should not have been billed. Cannot get a live customer service person to help me and all the website says is that they do not give refunds. Super ticked off and am just going to dispute the charge with my bank and cancel this service. Super shady and dishonest. Service was just ok, nothing stellar.

Original review: May 3, 2019

When our trial ended we cancelled the service because content was very limited. The interface is clunky as well. We had a credit of $80. We had the service for 3 months but only used it once in that time since we preferred Netflix. We cancelled it before the end of the third month but because our account still had a credit they extended the service and billed our credit card for the remainder of the month. I contacted their customer service department and they clearly didn't care. They were reading from a prepared statement saying that it is their policy not to issue refunds because it is a prepaid service.

I contacted my credit card and they refunded me without question. They said that they have received several similar complaints from this company. The service seems more appropriate for an older person that wants to save money on cable but isn't ready to cut the cord completely. There are better options out there. I got the feeling that Sling knows that they are on borrowed time so they'd rather lose a customer than lose $20.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Tried the service. It was grainy and glitchy. Canceled a day later they made me pay for the whole month. Then I see a charge the next month after I canceled and when I called they could see that I canceled. I had saved my email confirmation to. AND BETTER THEY SAID IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME THAT PEOPLE CONTINUE TO GET CHARGED. THEY ARE THE WORST!!!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

It's almost better to just pay for cable. Sling will completely stop working in the middle of streaming. You will have to continue to unplug your fire stick just to reset the app and sometimes that doesn't even work. I have even uninstalled the app and reinstall it and that doesn't work. I don't understand how they can charge high rates with an app that gives people so much frustrating just to stream. I hope another live stream app comes out soon. I will definitely cancel Sling.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I’m paying for Sling TV, and DVR and Hallmark channel as an additional charge. Since December the DVR has been functioning half the time and I have been unable to access Hallmark more than once as though it is not on my package. Customer service on a 3 hour call said they’ll fix the issues and then credit me once fixed, because they don’t know how much to credit until I have full access. We finally had time to call back. They offered a one time credit of $10 credit for a monthly bill of $37.62 I paid every month since December. To add to that Kevin (UWY is supposedly his agent sine) the supervisor said take it or leave it.

Add rude and bait and switch and you’re up to speed. In conclusion, I’m paying full price for a service that doesn’t operate on a daily basis and they are rude about it and obviously won’t fix it.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I subscribed to Sling TV, and 3 days later, I decided to cancel, as I received a very good Fios Triple Play offer and decided to take it. I was still within the 7 day trial period, so I expected to get a full refund when I cancelled, as I was charged for my subscription prior to the end of my trial period. However, although it was a trial period and I had never accessed the service, I was told through a 'chat', (no phone available to discuss), that there are no refunds or pro rates. I am aware that when the subscription starts, beyond the trial period, there are no refunds or pro rates, and I am fine with that. However, during the 7 day trial, I would not have expected to be charged the full $25.00 to cover my subscription after the trial. Very disappointed with Sling Customer service. In addition, there is no access to direct telephone contact, if your concern does not meet Sling criteria, to offer a contact number.

Sling TV expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sling TV is an internet TV streaming service owned by Dish Network. It offers three packages: Blue, Orange and a combo Blue/Orange package. Each package includes some of the most watched TV channels as well as lesser known channels, including all major sports channels. Each package includes DVR features so you can watch shows at a later date.

• Orange package: The Orange package gives you 30 channels including ESPN networks, Disney, AMC, CNN, HGTV and more popular cable channels. You can add individual channels on top of the standard 30 channels. You can only stream on one device at a time with the Orange package. It costs $20 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Blue package: The Blue package offers over 40 channels, including many of the ones from the Orange package plus major channels like FOX, NBC, NFL Network, FX and even regional sports. You can also add channels on top of the standard 40 channels. You can stream on two devices at once with this package. It costs $25 per month and includes a seven-day free trial.

• Combine packages: Combine the Orange and Blue packages for $40 per month. You’ll also get the Broadcast Extra package added on for free (geographic restriction apply here). Broadcast Extra includes ABC, Univision, UniMas and more.

• Deals: Sling TV will give you a free Roku Express when you sign up for two months of service. You can also get a $50 AirTV player (regularly $129.00) if you sign up for two months of service.

• Supported devices: Sling TV works on Apple TV, Apple phones and tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, AirTV Player, Android TV, Windows and LG products.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Orange plan, two devices with the Blue plan and up to four devices with the combo plan.

• Best for: cord cutters who don’t want to miss out on live sports and popular TV shows.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout