3.6/5 (353 ratings)

About Sling TV

Sling TV offers subscribers the best of cable TV without paying for hundreds of channels you don't need. It specializes in live TV streaming, meaning viewers can watch their favorite shows on their preferred channels. Subscribers may view on various devices, including AirTV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One and more.

Pros

• Customization options
  • Good channel selection
  • Affordable alternative to cable
  • No contracts

Cons

• Add-ons quickly hike the price
  • Local channels are limited

Bottom Line

Sling TV is an affordable alternative to cable. There is no long-term commitment, and you don't have to sacrifice your favorite national channels. Sling is easily accessible through streaming on your preferred devices.

Top Sling TV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They are adding channels and programs all the time with proper content for family tv in all genres. I love the variety of switching from Fox News to WWE to Live PD and more! ... L...

Verified

Sling TV is PERFECT for watching those big sports games that I don’t want to miss. Getting all of the sports channels all year would cost so much more than activating Sling ... I ...

What is Sling TV?

Sling TV is similar to cable, but it transmits over the internet instead of through a cable box. To watch Sling, connect it to your chosen media streaming device, such as an Xbox, Roku or Apple TV. If you're not using a streaming device, you can download the app to your phone, computer, smart TV or any other compatible device.

With Sling TV, you can pick between the news- and entertainment-centric Sling Blue or the sports- and family-centric Sling Orange. If you'd rather not choose, you can combine both packages. All package options include a DVR function that saves to your cloud. The company offers mini-channel collections, referred to as extras, as add-ons. Premium channels such as Showtime, Starz and Epix are also options.

How much is Sling TV a month?

Sling TV offers two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Each plan costs $30 a month, or you can get both plans for $45 a month. There are several add-on options, such as lifestyle, comedy, kid-friendly and sports channels. These extras range between $5 and $10 monthly. Other premium channels range between $3 and $10 a month.

Sling TV FAQ

What channels are on Sling TV?
The channel selection varies based on the package you choose. Some popular channels found on Sling TV include Disney, ESPN, FX, TLC and Food Network. There are also add-on options such as sports, children's programming, comedy and news.
Is Sling live tv?
Sling TV is live and offers programming as it’s broadcast. It also has a DVR feature so customers can record shows for later viewing.
Does Sling have local channels?
You can receive local channels by purchasing a separate HD antenna.
How much is Sling TV monthly?
Your monthly cost varies based on what package you choose. Sling Blue and Sling Orange each cost $30 monthly. If you want to combine both packages, your monthly cost is $45. From there, add-ons generally run between $5 and $10 a month.
Can I get a refund from Sling?
Sling does not offer refunds for prepaid or partial services. If you cancel in the middle of a month, you still pay for the full month.
Is Sling better than cable?
Unlike many cable services, Sling can be streamed from nearly any device, so it's much more portable. It also stores your DVR recordings to a cloud instead of a cable box. Plus, it's often more affordable.
How can I contact Sling TV?
Sling TV has several methods of contact. This includes online chat, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and calling directly.
Is Sling free with Amazon Prime?
No, Sling is not free with Amazon Prime. It is available to purchase through Amazon and can be watched using the Amazon Fire.

Is Sling TV good?

For those looking to cut ties with cable companies, Sling TV offers a good alternative. There are no contracts, and packages start at just $30. There are several options to build on the basic packages, though that increases the total cost. There are no long-term commitments, and you can cancel any time. Sling TV offers a service that makes it worth comparing the numbers and maybe saying goodbye to cable for good.

Sling TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sling TV?

Original review: July 21, 2021

Having to set Sling TV myself, I was apprehensive. With the help of tech support I achieved success! They were great. I have called the support a few times since the installation for help with various things. The wait is never long, the techs are always friendly and my questions are always resolved. Best customer service I've received in a long time!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I was scheduled to end service on circa 2-5-21, however, I was charged for the next month's service. I reached the customer service department and explained my situation. The first person with whom I spoke, completed my refund with no problem, of any kind. It is a shame, but I was truly impressed just because they did the job that was necessary with no problems of any kind. Thank you Sling, see ya in September when football season starts!

A pleased end future customer,

Glenn **

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I have had Sling TV orange & blue for a couple of weeks. I have no complaints. I was paying $125.00 for cable that sucked. Only could watch on one tv & the channel line up was horrible. Sling TV was the right choice for me.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

It's ok. If you're trying to watch anything but NFL football it's ok.. They broadcast sports but they're not specific. They have all of college football but NO NFL and that's a big deal. I almost felt robbed when football season came and I'm sitting at home watching it on my phone. SMH.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I'm a former subscriber to Sling TV, but cancelled to save money for an impending move. 3 days ago I received an email from Sling offering a 14 day trial, so I clicked the link to start the trial. I then went into my customer account and cancelled my subscription so I wouldn't be charged. Today I saw I was charged! I contacted Sling TV and they claim I didn't click the email link, and I won't get a refund. I will never use their service again, and have filed a report with the BBB.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Absolutely horrible customer service. I cancelled Sling through my Roku TV. Turned out it didn’t cancel and I was charged for two more month until I noticed this charge. The customer support not only didn’t refund me, but also shamed for not have noticed the charges quickly. ‘Haha we stole money from you and you didn’t even notice. What an idiot!’ Stay away from this company.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

When I cut the cord, I decided to go with Sling TV because my friend had it and she liked it. However, I found I was paying $55.00 a month and paying for basically nothing. You get a Blue package and and Orange package, and they are almost the same thing. Almost identical. After about four months, I decided I didn't want it anymore and I cancelled my subscription. Not only did they not cancel my subscription, but they charged me for another month, and refused to refund my money. I can't watch it, can't sign in to my account as it is cancelled, but they will keep my money and tell me they are a month to month subscription and non refundable. Don't subscribe!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

When ATT bought them over they decided to continue many of their illegal practices. For example I paid my Sling TV Bill, but was late on my phone Bill, set up a payment plan and they turned off my TV even though the bill was paid. THAT IS ILLEGAL! Secondly, I was never informed that sling was being sold. I would have transferred services and will soon. Lastly- they play the same shows over and over again! The commercials are the same for years! It’s frustrating as hell. You give feedback and nothing for years change. The fact they play re-runs over and over and never listen to customers is sad. The price went up immediately as soon as ATT bought them! Truly sucks.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I have had Sling TV for a couple years and have been happy with its performance and updates, however, ... this recent update to the guide screen sucks. I don't like the way it looks, you can't toggle back to the guide while watching a program,... It just does not look or operate in a smooth or friendly way. I wish they would go back to the older look and format or allow customers the option of retaining the older format!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

The service itself is fine, but if you cancel, please remove your credit card from your account. Don't try to just cancel. If you do cancel, get a confirmation email. They charged me after I canceled. Told me I didn't cancel. I explained that their website was buggy and kept prompting me to log in when I hit cancel. They would not give me a refund. My service should have expired on the 2nd. It's the 4th when I noticed a charge. I stopped using my service on the 2nd. What a terrible company to feed off of errors like this. That's a fraudulent revenue stream. Never again, Sling.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Due to financial strain in the wake of an unfortunate accident, I cancelled my Sling service on 7/7/21. I was then charged for the service on 7/19 anyway. I contacted the company on 7/22. Although I was upset that my service was not cancelled on 7/7 for the upcoming business cycle and, as such, I would much prefer a full refund, as I was in a conciliatory mood, so I asked for a prorated cancellation for the next month. I was told by not one, but two agents, that they were permitted under no circumstances to issue refunds, by merit of their service being a "pre-paid service."

I attempted to explain that I understand that it is a pre-paid service, but the point was that I should never have been charged for the upcoming month's service in the first place. More apologies that their hands were tied. I asked to speak with a manager but was told that their response would be the same. I haven't even used the Sling service since 7/7, and, with this miserable customer service experience (x2), I will not be using it ever again. Sling has the choice of treating its customers this way, but I also have the choice to never use their service again. Good riddance!

Original review: July 12, 2021

First I want everyone to know during my 1 1/2 years of being Sling customer I loved it. I shared with so many how revolutionary their services were. I migrated from Dish, watching live TV was so yesterday. In a NETFLIX world, SLING delivered a great service. If you were late coming in for the day, you were able to toggle back up to a week to see your programing. If a live program was on, you had the option to begin the program at the start. But this all changed a few weeks ago.

Sling upgraded their programming that has eliminated the things that so many customers are looking for. No longer are you able to toggle back, you view programs. No longer is starting at the beginning of show when it is live. NO longer is on demand viewable on one screen or on the same day. It all changed when some marketing person felt they wanted a new customer to have the same experience they have with DISH, AT&T or their cable service. If I wanted that experience I would have stayed there. I called customer service. Received a horrible response. I called three weeks later saying now I am paying for a service that is not what I wanted. SO I left. It's just so sad that they messed up something that was so good.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Sling does not allow showing different channel on sling orange which has most of their sports channel. I called customer service and if I wanted to watch ESPN and another family member watched ESPNu I would need to spend another $35 a month. That’s not going to happen. Sling is not multi TV friendly for families.

Sling TV Company Information