1.60/5
  • 1 star
Based on 58 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

122 Poetry.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

When I was 16 I wrote a poem called Red, White, and Blue that was in 2001 after 9/11. It was a poem in honor of those people and my country. I have tried every way I can think of to get my poems back from these scammers. When I go to the link they send me it comes up page error and says, "Site doesn't exist." There are many other poems they've said they published of mine but I was just a kid. I used my money from working on our family tobacco farm to buy the book and never received it. All these years I have been trying to get something some kind of response. But sadly nothing.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

In late 1998, I submitted a poem for a contest entry. It had been written in 1963, and was the only really good poem ever written! I received several letters from them, saying my poem had been submitted in the semi-finals. I filled out all the required docs, including a "pen name." They asked for a few edits, which wasn't so big as to change the essence of my poem. It was renamed, "Choices in Time." Then, the big sales began! They wanted to publish it in a book with 200 poems; also a plaque. Both were going to cost more than I could afford at the time. I never was told if I had won or who did win, so my assumption was why should I pay them anything when they should be paying me for the right to publish it!?

Correspondence continued through 2003. I never got anything about my entry from them, nor did I fall into this SCAM. I was very disappointed. There was even a positive letter from the BBB on the "Int'l Library of Poetry." However, can't find any evidence of it being used. Concerned about it being exploited without permission. The method in which it was handled along with literature received made me think it was legit, as these things cost a lot of money. Didn't have internet like we do today to research. They should be reported in hopes that others won't be victimized about their dreams!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I’ve had my account with poetry.com for over 10 years. I was in my freshman year of high school when I wrote the only poem I ever published on the site. I recovered my account and my poem a few months ago and just now I went to go post a new poem that I wrote and out of nowhere my account AND my poem have been deleted. I can’t even google them like one of the other reviewers could. I sent them an email but since this is obviously not a one-time issue and they just changed their whole site around, they probably purposely deleted people’s accounts that were older than 10 years assuming they weren’t using them. I still have the letter they sent me asking if they could publish my poem, I keep it in my safe. I really hope they can recover all these accounts and definitely should’ve sent out an email to see who uses their accounts still so we could have a chance to save our work. I’m very, very upset about this all...

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I've been using Poetry.com for over a decade, had several poems on there. I go to log in one day and neither email and password were accepted. I decided to type in my name on Google and seen one of my poems but when I clicked on it, it was not available. Decided to further investigate to only see others have also lost their poems on the same website, Poetry.com. I even emailed hello@poetry.com asking about my poems on Sept. 24th 2017 and still have yet to receive a response. I usually do write all of my poems on paper before typing them on Poetry.com but those have been misplaced. I'm very upset at this website for the lack of customer service that has been provided in regards to our missing poems.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I had written a poem for my father when he passed away in early 2000. I was asked if it can be published... I agreed and it was actually published because I had a hard copy for myself. It was available for about a year or 2 after... Now, when I wanted to show my kids an accomplishment of mine, IT IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. It's like it NEVER existed!!!! How disappointing is that?! It was the first poem I ever wrote in my life... That same poem, the director of the funeral home we had my father's service at, asked if they can also use my poem if someone would like a poem for their father on the little memory card (the ones they pass out during rosaries/prayers). I am so disappointed, dissatisfied... Isn't there something we can do to search for ourselves and poems back on the website!?!?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poetry.com?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

For about 8 years or more I had an account with Poetry.com. This was a non-payment account. Different accounts did not require you to pay for their services. I was not using the account for about a year. When I tried to enter this account about a week ago I found that it no longer existed. I signed in with my old account information and found that all of my poems were gone. I don't know how I can get in touch with this organization to find out where my poetry is. I had close to 100 poems that I had written and would like to know what happened to them. I will appreciate any assistance or information that you can give me.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I am furious and upset that Poetry.com set up another format and my poems are now gone. I like to know what happened to them. I written 29 poems and now they are gone. So many other people been complaining about this Poetry.com. They lost their words and poems as well. I very upset with Poetry.com.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I’ve been writing on www.poetry.com for years. I had 69 poems, some winning editors choice awards. Now just like that it's all gone. This poetry.com site leaves a lot to be desired. I wrote a poem yesterday and it's nowhere to be found. Do I have to try to find another site or go back to writing my poems on paper and try to find a publisher? I tell you it rather hurts.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

First off, they provide an option to sign up AND log in via email address. But one has to reset his password every log in because the CORRECT password is not accepted. Not ever. Second, one cannot change the avatar. Page simply reloads and nothing changes. Third, after a couple of poems, one is FORCED to log in via twitter, fb or any other crap social media in order to post a review. Review is needed to publish poems. I do not have fb or twitter or anything. So I log in via email address. But now I can't even publish poems anymore cause I can't review without logging in on fb, twitter or other social media. Won't let me anymore.

Coupled with the constant necessity for resetting the password on every log in, and the issue with the avatar, I am very displeased to say that their 'customer service' isn't a 'service' at all. No response at all. I wonder if there is even anybody there. Very poor, and after 4 years of 'New' management their site is still littered with bugs and issues.

Then they DARE to claim that their staff works 24/7 'so they cannot personally answer every email'. Lol, that is just plain low and hypocrite. Very obvious. I'm not going back there soon, unless by miracle they solve those issues, or at least respond to my many pleas for assistance. Seeing the many complaints already filed for that site, I am NOT surprised. Didn't realize the experience there would be this bad. So I simply HAD to put this out, to warn others: "know what you're getting into there". Seems to be run by either idiots, or scammers.

Original review: June 12, 2016

I had a poem on Poetry.com some years ago called (Dark Angel From Hell). They sent me a letter saying that they were going to publish my poem in a book called (Immortal Verses). I never gave them permission to publish any of my poetry nor did they pay me for it instead they wanted me to pay them... how dare they mislead so many people to write a poem for a contest when their real intention was to steal these poems and publish them for their own profit and try to charge the people that they stole them from, if there is a lawsuit against them for this please let me know, I want in on making them pay for all the poetry (thoughts and feelings) that they stole from so many innocent people including myself.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I have been trying to post more poems and their site even though you fill out the title style and content it says, "you have not filled out content" every time then you lose the progress of the poem you are writing or the whole thing for that matter. I use Poetry Poem and PoetryVine and this problem does not happen. They at least let you put the poem up though I do not like new editor in Poetry Poem. The poetry sites are all free for the most part except PoetryVine which now charges you and Poetry Poem has a prime poet that you have to pay to be.

Poetry.com is annoying. Because of this you can't even trust this site in my opinion if they won't listen to your feedback that you're having a problem. I told them I was going to review them if they did not fix the error and it still is not taken care of. I also sent them 2 of my emails and they did not contact me on either one of them. I am disappointed because I like their points system and the critics are tough. They probably only rate what they like. I think that at least they should respond to their emails and let you at least know why so you're not in the dark.

Even when you're honest with your poetry you have people try to steal it and some of the poems I put on there were wrote before 2012 and they are not in the poetry archives which draws me to the conclusion that maybe my poetry is just good and not great. But anyway this is enough of a review and I told them by their messenger I was going to write it if they did not fix. I know I'm always in a hurry to solve these thing because I'm trying to enjoy my spontaneous writing. I give Poetry.com a 2 at best on stars if they don't have better technical support.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

If nothing truly disappears on the internet, where are my poems? Am getting closer to having enough for my book and they are gone??? I get reminders in Facebook from when I had them copywritten and can get to none by links had...??? I want what is mine.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

I tried to regain membership so I could continue at poetry.com by logging on through Facebook but after the log-in I was still blocked access to poetry.com. No reason has ever been given for my suspension and I have been unable to enter the site since 2014, after being a successful member for 4 years. I have now moved to Allpoetry.com where I have received a warm welcome. It would be nice to receive a communication from Poetry.com rather than SILENCE. Perhaps the site has been infiltrated by undesirables who close down anyone they don't like? Perhaps lesser poets?

Original review: May 18, 2015

I have been writing poems since the death of my son. Posting them daily for an entire year. My laptop crashed and all writings were lost. So I go to the site and I'm not allowed in. Tried this several times. Today I try and the site has been closed. Where are my poems!!! I'm infuriated. Who now can be contacted to retrieve my works. Someone has to be accountable for this travesty.

Original review: May 4, 2015

Well I had submitted poems through this company/site as well. Mine are still there..but the current site is VERY slow and sluggish!! Ugh! Definitely not like it used to be which is very sad. I do recall when the site was bust... but now it seems it's returned? I am at least published for all my hard work.

Original review: April 23, 2015

A few days ago, I submitted a email to them because constantly there were issues with me logging in, then I noticed that my poems weren't even reviewed twice, which makes me feel like their blocking my poetry, & for about the 3rd time asked of why I can't post a photo on my profile like most people, every time I Tried which was at least 15 times, it says error. Sometimes when I post a new poem it will say error. & I have a snapshot of this email. Then a few days later I noticed that I now can not log back into the site, so I'm banned from my profile(?) because I asked them questions. When I try to edit my profile it won't allow me to. I also have snapshots of my poems because they have been acting funny towards me for no reason. I do now wish I had not trusted or referred them to others. How can you help me with this? Not limited too. Thank you.

Original review: April 9, 2015

I also like so many others have been lied to. I have submitted so many poems (my prize possessions), my life, my feeling, my hopes and dreams, etc.. I think all of users feel we should get compensation for all the fraud we were put through. We trusted them what they have to offer we have been waiting a lifetime for. Writers dreams is having their voice in print for everyone to enjoy. They should be made to pay, if it was anyone else they would been made to.

Original review: April 9, 2015

I appear to have been black listed. I have tried to get a response from the organizers of the website but after several emails, I have received no explanation for this. It's like talking to a 'brick wall'. They never reply to your emails. I had been a member since 2010 but in 2014 I started to find it impossible to enter poems. I had noticed during my time on the website, there appeared to be certain groups of 'poets' who worked together as a 'clique' to improve their status. I refused to join in this way since the quality of work by these people, in some cases, was poor.

Presumably if one was honest in your reviews you would be punished by the website. You are not allowed to make honest comments about other's work, even if it is rubbish. Not that I would dare make such a comment. The number 1 and 2 poets on this site appear to write the same thing over and over again and I fear for their sanity. Sadly this site does not promote good quality poetry but encourages short poor compositions with little or no literary value. Mainly due to the points system in use.

Original review: March 10, 2015

I am so mad I want all poems back. Where are they and why can't I complain? This is not right at all. I wanna know where my poems are and songs. A lifetime of poetry was put into this. I was told poetry.com was a trusted site. Well who's trusted now??? What do I do?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

Several poems were selected for anthologies and I was 'selected' to attend several of the award ceremonies. I just could not understand why I had to pay to get my winnings. I could not afford the trip or the cost of the anthologies. If my work was selected for the published anthologies, I am curious to know what has become of my work. My poems was submitted under the name Dona **. At the time I lived in Brooklyn, NY.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

Poetry.com has stolen my poems. I have been sending them my poems for years. I was chosen editor's choice then want me to pay to have my poems printed in book after they told me it was free. I want my poems back. I lost my original ones in a house fire. I know poetry.com has my copy. How do I get them back?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

My name is Lena **. I had published pages of poetry on poetry.com. Those poems are gone. The account is unattainable. No consequences occurred. There's no one to contact concerning the lost poetry. "The Traveler's" + is my poem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

I wrote heartfelt poems on the website and participated in contests. I went back to the website and the website was longer there? It's not fair that someone else is getting paid for my poetry. Good thing I didn't put too many up there.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2014

Mainly from the old original poetry.com website, missing everything I submitted, was all copy written from their site and copy-write was updated every year. Slowly after they sold out to Lulu my stuff went missing and never did show up on Lulu as was indicated would happen. I have my poems written down and saved but it is the moral of the matter that is eating at me. I trusted them and submitted poems in their contest for years and years. I want all of it back from them as it was posted to their site.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2013

Cannot access Poetry Site. My poems are very meaningful to me and to have other people playing games like this makes me very angry. I want back all my work that I put deep thoughts into. Thank you!

Original review: April 2, 2013

I was contacted by Poetry.com who stated that my poem would be featured as the best poem of 2012. So I ordered the poem books and have waited since then with no response from their company since March 07, 2013. I wrote to them requesting they cancel my order as I recently discovered it was a scam. This is their sales pitch: "I have decided to feature you and your poetic artistry on a page devoted exclusively to you! As a featured poet, you are now eligible to win 115 prizes totaling $10,000 that will be awarded to featured poets in this highly anticipated volume! Prizes will be announced on June 1, 2013. As a Best Poet of 2012, you'll also receive free two Best Poet of 2012 Awards Lapel Pins that have been designed in recognition of you and your poetic accomplishments."

I then received this from PayPal: You sent a payment of $174 USD to World Poetry Movement. Mar 7, 2013 17:01:28 PST, Receipt No: **. I emailed them and never received a response. Is Poetry.com a legitimate company? PayPal responded by stating I must contact their offices.

Original review: July 8, 2012

I also wrote a poem for library of Poetry. A letter was sent saying I would be published in a book. I had to pay for the book and I wanted the plaque with purple flowers on it featuring my poem. I had to pay for that too. My poems are no longer on the site, you can't find my name or my poem. What happened? I am supposed to be published and copyrighted. The name of the poem is 'Reality of the Black Woman'. It can only be found now on Helium.com and on my Facebook page.

Original review: April 16, 2012

One of my best works was chosen in 2000 and published with copyrights. I have searched to no avail and my poem appears to have just vanished. I recently lost the original and the book it was in to a fire and to make it worse, I had written it about my best friend and husband whom I lost in a car accident. No amount of money could ever compensate. I’d give my right arm to have those timeless words returned and respected.

Original review: March 29, 2012

My poems were published under different name. I submitted my poems in 2002 and I found something I wrote today with a different name as the writer. I want this fixed.

Original review: March 27, 2012

I submitted letters to poetry.com for years about taking down my poems. Then they put a menu on their site that I could take down my poems off their website, so I did that. Then they shut down their website. Now, they are back up and one of my poems is on their site again. I have emailed them again and again and my poem is still there. I want my poem taken down called "Alone" and I want all my poems to stay off any sites they have. Please help. Thank you.

Poetry.com Company Information