4.39/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

PLAY! by Sephora

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 23, 2017

32 PLAY! by Sephora Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I love shopping at Sephora and it's a way for me to try out new makeup without having to spend full price on something and just get samples. I purchase full sized products mostly based off samples I have liked from this box or other samples from other stores. I like that they put multiple samples in the box so it gives me a variety of different things to try. I am always switching up my makeup and trying new things and this box helps me discover new and fun makeups! I wish I could gear it a little more towards me. Instead of getting a lipstick (which I don’t use), I would like an extra mascara. I don't use every type of makeup, so sometimes I get things that I do not use.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have a few friends who really liked Sephora, they sell high quality products. The box lets you get access to some of their products without killing your pocket book. There is a good variety since it includes makeup, beauty care products and perfume. I also like that many of the products are full size, not just samples. I am a pale redhead, so it would be nice to get products geared more towards my unique coloring. I don't know if there is a beauty box that spends a lot of time matching individuals though.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I believe Sephora offers the best items for the price. They are high end. Quality make up items. I enjoy shopping at Sephora as we have ones y mall. I like the quality of the products and the shades of makeup I receive in the beauty box. They do a very good job at deciding which products are right for me. Also, the price is right compared to other beauty boxes. I wish more items came in the beauty box. I also wish they included more full size items.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I feel you get better product in this box more than any other subscription box. Love it. Great products for a low price. Each month you get to try all different things like makeup and skin care and perfume. The different products I try out are high end and sometimes you get full size products and you can test things before paying full price if you like it. Some are just sample size and if you like something, some things are super expensive. You have to wait for the box each month. Wish it was never ending.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

It comes with deluxe sample size products. I choose this subscription because it is high end and I love to try new things. It comes with moisturizers, masks, oils, primers, liners, and even fragrances. I really like that I can use the products multiple times to see if they work for me. That way if I don't like it I didn't waste my time in buying a full size one. I am a makeup collector and I love this as a way to collect new products. And it also allows me to try products I don't normally reach for. The box has good features. I guess I wouldn't mind not getting the card to get a one on one session with a beauty expert at Sephora since I don't use it. I know how to do my makeup. I would appreciate if that could be optional and I could instead add a sample.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Play! by Sephora?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I thought about purchasing this box but I wasn't super convinced because there are so many out there it was hard to decide. I was in Sephora and it was mostly because the sales person sold me on it. I've tried other boxes because I like trying new things especially when it comes to make up. I love opening my mailbox and seeing a present each time it arrives. It's like Christmas. Each time it varies. And I get to try different companies that I would have never even considered buying. I wouldn't change anything. Throwing in a coupon every now and then would be great! Because make up is not cheap. This would encourage me to buy more.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

This box was a good value for the items offered ($10/month) and Sephora is a brand I trust. The skin care/make up/hair care is of good variety and I usually liked what I received each month. The bag changing with the different themes was very cute, I often kept the bags. This box offered a good potential variety of items and though I did not always use everything in each bag, it was still a good deal. I wish there had been a way to make each month's bag a bit more personalized while still being a surprise. I ended up with far more hair products that tended to do the same thing than I ever needed, and I wanted more skin care items.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I love Sephora and I liked that I would be guaranteed to get samples of products that are carried in Sephora. If I like something I can go to Sephora and buy it and plus it comes with a bag and a card for 50 BI points. I've only received one bag so far, the May bag. I really liked that it includes a good mix of good quality products. The brands are also ones that I am familiar with and so I know they are good. I love skincare and this had some skincare that I wanted to try and a hair product I had been wanting to sample. I also like that it includes a small fragrance sample each month. I was very pleased and I plan on continuing to purchase this bag. I'm just concerned about some reviews I have read online that the bag can be repetitive with certain products being sent out multiple times.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Love the items I get in each box, they are a good variety and are relevant to me, it is fun to try each one and I love the surprise element, I choose PLAY! because I love the Sephora store and they have high end quality products. I also like the variety and that I get to sample a number of make-up items that I would not try if I had to buy the full size and I get to see how they work for me w/o a big commitment and spending tons of money. But sometimes I wish I could choose more items. Yet it is fun to get a surprise each month, I would get one more often if I could, have more items in each box and get a sample of them if I wanted to, give me a choice for that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

There was a promotion for it, tried free trial, enjoyed it and continued using it for quite a while. I liked that it came with a free trial to test it out. The box has a good mix of products that I can put on and see if I like it and order more specifically. However sometimes it feels like the items they send out are repetitive and sometimes they feel like they are on the low end of the quality scale. Would like to see that improve for the price I am paying on the subscription. Will continue to use until I settle on certain things I like or deem that it has become too expensive to continue.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I purchased this because I saw an ad from Facebook and asked friends their experience with different boxes. Everyone I asked who used the box really enjoyed it. I also am familiar with their brand so I was able to trust it and feel comfortable with my purchase. I really liked the variety when the boxes came. I also liked how it was personalized to my tastes. All the make up was good quality. However, I did not use a lot of the products so it was like a waste of money. As much as I liked the stuff it just wasn't stiff I used often.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I was a customer of Play by Sephora (gift from sister) for only 2 months so not too familiar... I've had a couple of peels, dermabraison, face washes and hair dry wash. The last box always left me looking forward to the next box. It was exciting to see the new and different products and experiencing with them and hoping that it would be something that I would use in the future. When I did my profile I had my complexion and the shades preferred as a lipstick. Didn't feel though that it followed the type complexion, sending an appropriate shade to fit me. A foundation would be light.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I chose this beauty box because my 2 sisters also get it & they both rave about it. I really like the quality of the products that I receive. I get everything from beauty tools, eye makeup, lip, creams, and fragrances. It’s so fun to get new boxes all the time! I like the variety of the products and the box itself is really pretty too, like getting a Christmas present, so fun to open! The makeup in my most current box is the best, I will definitely buy again! I pretty much like everything, but now and then I don’t like the fragrances. I would prefer to receive fewer fragrances and just stick to more makeup or beauty tools. I would also like to see more number of products put into each and every box.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Cheaper products, eye liner, lip gloss, great makeup and great products. Fast shipping that mails stuff to your home every month with a free and a charge to your credit card every month. The contents were relative to me than most. The box is a surprise every month and things I am interested in and the cost is not that bad. Just wish I didn't have to be charged every month, would rather have a choice. Would like to choose my own days or months to ship items and to pick a few things I like so that I cannot have duplicates of the same item over and over again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

They offered a special. It was interesting. It had a strange combination of products that did not seem to go together. The products included shampoo and conditioner. I like the idea of sampling products. The mascara was fine but there was nothing in the box that I found overly exciting. I just think having larger products to review and complimentary products would make the process more fun. I think that they should have complementary products in the beauty box. The shampoo and conditioner were not large enough to truly know if I liked the products. I think it should have been a larger shampoo, conditioner, and maybe a wave tamer or something.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

The purchasing process is a simple recurring subscription with great new products to try without having to purchase the full product before trying them out. I've gotten great skincare and makeup products and great smelling fragrances. The sizes are enough to last multiple uses. It is sent automatically every month and has many products for me to try. Some I end up buying the full size and some I give to family if I don't like them. I like the variety of sample products but I don't like how it's not very customizable so I occasionally get shades that don't work well with my coloring. I also receive too many perfume samples.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I love Sephora PLAY! It was cheaper. $10 and high end makeup samples and I receive plus points. I have got things like moisturizer, makeup remover, a cute bag they all came in, highlighter and perfumes. We get 5 samples and points to use on other samples when we order. I like box it came it and the bag I receive with it as well. Also we can use our little card to get free tutorials in the store so an associate can show how to properly use the item samples we receive if we have any questions about them! But I wish some was full size, maybe just one out of the 5 samples we receive. I also wish there were more beauty questions to be able to pick what color/shade we would want to get and try out.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I went back and forth on which kind of subscription I wanted. I had three friends that tried Sephora Play and raved about the high end products they were receiving. They shared their code and I use it to order a box of my own. I decided on this subscription because the products are high end and my friends raved about the delivery, presentation, value, and trendiness.

I like several things about this company and their boxes. One, Sephora is a household name synonymous with quality and high end character. Two this subscription service is always mentioned in magazine and social media because Sephora is life. Three the packaging is very aesthetically pleasing...straight eye candy. I love the fact that you get bags to place your loot in, I love the quality of my products and I love the price point.

But Sephora should give more opportunities to earn rewards by sharing on social media and signing up friends. Otherwise I love everything about these boxes and as someone who has tried multiple subscriptions, this is definitely worth the money. You are getting a return on your investment and getting to try the newest products and slay!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I love Sephora and found out they had a beauty subscription box so I was very curious. Each month you get 6 samples, a PlayBook and PLAY! PASS for learning. They send out bags with different ending numbers to different people. It is a ten dollar monthly bag you receive with high end products and the products have a theme each month...highlighting, bronzing, etc. Great explanation to use the products. I also love the fact that you get a new perfume sample with every bag. But I dislike how the bags aren't custom fitted like Ipsy. You don't have a survey to fill out to let them know what you love or hate. Everyone practically gets the same bag.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I chose this beauty box because I love Sephora and it did not disappoint. Sephora has a very wide selection of makeup, skin care and fragrances. I really enjoy everything about this beauty box. The products are all very good quality. It's a little expensive though. The products are worth it but I can't afford to pay that much that often. It's not in my budget right now.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

My sister referred me to this and overall it is a great company and I enjoy the products which are of good quality. It's exciting receiving a new box each month. I have also tried Birchbox and Ipsy, which are also great products and very inexpensive. I enjoy mostly the makeup like mascara and foundation products but the occasional skin care is also nice. I think I will keep using these services because a lot of this stuff you can't buy in stores in my area. I liked that I could update my profile accordingly to my needs and stuff that I desired to have. I also like how easy they make it to review the products and read what everyone else has to say about them. However I wish they would include bigger sizes sometimes because a lot of stuff is so small you can't get even a whole use from it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I purchased waterproof makeup remover, foundation primer, Aqua eyeliner, Hyaluronic Cloud Cream, Daisy Marc Jacobs fragrance and Kate Somerville treatment. All of the stuff that I needed. I like that all of the items is very useful. Also I like the size of it. Because it is small it will fit into my little purse. Also the quality is really good and soft. It would be fun though if there will be available more options like bigger bags for bigger price.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I chose this beauty box because I love Sephora. I love shopping at Sephora and it has really good products. Sephora is so good. The packaging was really good. Also the mascara and eyeliner and perfume and blush and bronzer and hair stuff that they send me is all super, super, super good. But it took too long to come in the mail, and I didn't get to personalize my bag as much as I want. Also the stuff that they sent didn't sometimes match the skin tone that I put on their online website.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I am a long time Sephora customer. I favor this over other brands because I know I am getting quality products and if there is any issue, I can call customer service and receive the aid I need. The products are high-quality and almost always compatible with my complexion. Sometimes I would prefer bigger samples or I would like to receive a credit toward a full size product. But I like that it comes every month and through a company that I trust. I am a Sephora Rouge VIB and I like that I can easily find out the reviews of these products on the website and app. Also, I like the packaging and getting a makeover every month.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I prefer makeup from Sephora and they have a better value. It was the best thing. I liked the variety of what was included in the box. It was tailored to what I like. It allowed me to try new items and experience other products. Shipping and price were awesome. It even arrived in my mailbox in a quick fashion. I would stay with this as long as I could afford it.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I am part of a Facebook group for makeup swapping. I am part of Ipsy and wanted a second box. I saw lots of girls is mentioning Play so decided to try it out. I love the box. I started to like perfume because of it. They have fairly natural products. The hair and face products are low on parabens, silicone and sodium laureth sulfate. They have a good variety too.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I loved my products I bought. It was makeup that is used in water for all day wear. They can make the best products and they are normally the best. No running on those special occasions. It also had a full arsenal of products I could use on a daily basis to look my best anytime during the day. However, I would like variety and a bigger box for my money worth to last much longer. Also, carry patch to travel as a makeup bag would have been great.

Original review: July 23, 2017

The Play! By Sephora application process was very easy, simple, and self-explanatory and the customer service agents were very friendly during the application process. The beauty box came in a very small and easy to open and carry packaging, I was very impressed with the quality of the brands included. Play! By Sephora beauty box is excellent as it is, and I hope that the Sephora brand keeps up the good work and keeps me updated.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I absolutely loved Sephora ever since my friend recommended it to me. I first bought a lipstick and it was MAGIC. I soon subscribed to Play! by Sephora and ever since my first package, I loved the items that came with it. It was relatively cheap which I absolutely loved. It also contained so many items each time I received a box. The box was eye-catching too. I also reallllyyyyy love their discount codes and coupons. However the box should arrive more on time because it is usually late by a week or sometimes a few days. I would also appreciate it if Sephora could make some new deals on the boxes as well.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I chose PLAY! by Sephora because I regularly shop at Sephora and figured it would be a good service to try, I know where to buy what product if I wanted full size or to restock. It encompasses so many different brands, some samples, some full size. You can also change your profile and get different products. I love the price, to think what you're getting for 10 it's awesome. There's very little I dislike, my only point would be to not add as many eyeliners and pay more attention to the reviews.

Play! by Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SEPHORA is a specialty retailer offering cosmetics, haircare products and other beauty accessories. It was founded in France in 1970 and now operates nearly 2,000 stores around the world. The company’s beauty box includes five samples from prestige brands and a bonus fragrance sample. They ship to the contiguous United States.

• Customized: After customers sign up for a PLAY! Box, they fill out a PLAY! Profile. Some products in their box are customized for their specific profile each month.
    • PLAY! Pass: Each PLAY! Box comes with a pass to receive a free one-on-one consultation with a beauty consultant at a SEPHORA store. The beauty consultants can teach customers how to use all the products included in that month’s box. Subscribers will receive an additional 50 Beauty Insider points for using their PLAY! Pass.
    • PLAY! Date: Select SEPHORA stores host a PLAY! Date each month, during which they can watch makeup tutorials and socialize with other subscribers. Each subscriber can bring one guest.
    • Beauty Insider: SEPHORA’s rewards program, called Beauty Insider, is free to join. It gives consumers access to free beauty classes and gives them a gift each year during their birth month. Customers accumulate points for each SEPHORA purchase, and points can be redeemed for products. Subscribers earn Beauty Insider points for their monthly subscription fee.
    • Video tutorial: Subscribers can access video tutorials to help them get the most out of their sample products.
    • Best for: PLAY! By SEPHORA sells subscription boxes designed for women and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers and gift givers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs