2. Shopping

PLAY! by Sephora

PLAY! by Sephora
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.24/5

PLAY! by Sephora Reviews

Original review: May 29, 2020

I liked this beauty box, but there was no option to customize to my preferences. As a result, I got products very inappropriate for me at times. For example, I got dry shampoo, even though I have a pixie haircut and wash it every day. Another time, I got makeup primer even though I don't wear foundation. I also received brow gel, even though I barely have any eyebrows. It was a crap shoot, and wasn't worth the money for me.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I really looked forward to getting these samples in the mail. They would always have fun stuff to try or give away in a cute little bag. Too bad they have stopped their boxes because for ten dollars I thought it was a good deal.

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

For the price, the Play box is an incredible value. While most products are trial size or slightly larger, I have received full sized products periodically. This includes eyeliners, creams, etc. And the brands are always high quality. If not name brand, you receive Sephora brand products, which are always great quality. Also, you receive additional points every month which is great! Overall awesome value!

Original review: May 14, 2020

Sephora has discontinued the monthly beauty box. I am sad to see it go. April was the last month they will be sending. Most of the products were good, some of the samples were quite small. It was a great experience to sample different brands.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I am extremely happy with all my selections I receive in the box. Look forward to each one. My daughter and myself do different boxes and Sephora is by far the 1 I LOVE the most. I have tried EVERYTHING I receive and end up purchasing more. EXCELLENT PRODUCTS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Play! by Sephora?

Original review: May 30, 2020

10. It's a great deal for a few travel sample size make ups and or skin care. I love the great deals. Each box is modified to fit your skin type and eye color and hair color and texture.

Original review: May 28, 2020

The products are always solid quality and I am picky. The staff is well informed and can assist to meet my specific need and skin type. Whether it is make up or sunscreen or skin care they have something to fit.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I was very impressed with contents and also use of items in this box! I was pleased with my overall appearance after using everything included. I had relatives asking me about different products and items they were interested in.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Gives you great deals if you shop at Sephora inside JCPenney. They give nice gifts for shopping in their store inside JCPenney. They have great selections, great values, awesome customer service, friendly and helpful.

Original review: May 17, 2020

These boxes are lifesavers for a young senior citizen with limited income. I have two boxes each month coming to me by mail. I haven’t had to buy anything full price by having two subscriptions because I get everything I need.

Play! by Sephora author review by ConsumerAffairs

SEPHORA is a specialty retailer offering cosmetics, haircare products and other beauty accessories. It was founded in France in 1970 and now operates nearly 2,000 stores around the world. The company’s beauty box includes five samples from prestige brands and a bonus fragrance sample. They ship to the contiguous United States.

• Customized: After customers sign up for a PLAY! Box, they fill out a PLAY! Profile. Some products in their box are customized for their specific profile each month.

• PLAY! Pass: Each PLAY! Box comes with a pass to receive a free one-on-one consultation with a beauty consultant at a SEPHORA store. The beauty consultants can teach customers how to use all the products included in that month’s box. Subscribers will receive an additional 50 Beauty Insider points for using their PLAY! Pass.

• PLAY! Date: Select SEPHORA stores host a PLAY! Date each month, during which they can watch makeup tutorials and socialize with other subscribers. Each subscriber can bring one guest.

• Beauty Insider: SEPHORA’s rewards program, called Beauty Insider, is free to join. It gives consumers access to free beauty classes and gives them a gift each year during their birth month. Customers accumulate points for each SEPHORA purchase, and points can be redeemed for products. Subscribers earn Beauty Insider points for their monthly subscription fee.

• Video tutorial: Subscribers can access video tutorials to help them get the most out of their sample products.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team