PLAY! by Sephora

Need a home alarm?

PLAY! by Sephora

Need a home alarm?

37 PLAY! by Sephora Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have been a subscriber to Sephora Play for nearly a year now. It still leaves much to be desired. Now and then I get boxes that I like but I also get a lot of boxes that I don't. I tend to receive a lot of products that I wouldn't use or I'm not interested in. I get duplicate items a lot as well. My March box for 2019 had three items in it that I have received before.

Two of those items I don't use or like and have expressed that to Sephora. For instance, I don't wear mascara but they have sent the same sample of mascara twice now. The 2nd was a lip gloss that they sent in a previous box and I don't wear lip gloss! The 3rd was a small moisturizer which I like but I've already gotten in a previous month and would rather try new things. A lot of my regular beauty staples have come from subscriptions so I want to receive different things to try. The samples are also very small. Ipsy blows Sephora Play out of the water. They are the same price as Sephora but they send some full size items and at least decent sample sizes. The customization is very in depth too.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Lots of lipsticks, moisturizers, and very similar items. They rarely send perfumes or eyeliners. While it is fun to get a box each month, I’m not sure the purchase is worth it. If you are a big lipstick fan, it may be though.

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

When I first joined the samples came in a cute little bag... Now they come in plain eco friendly bags I just toss out. I'm sure I filled out the questionnaire to get boxes tailored to what I use. Yet I keep getting foundation and lipstick. Two items I never purchase. When I get emails with spoilers that I may receive in my box I end up disappointed that I never receive items I would like. I'm going to give it one more month in hopes of receiving something usable than I just may have to try a different subscription service.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have been a subscriber for over a year. While the products are good quality, I keep getting the same items albeit different manufacturers. A lot of nude or red lipsticks, dry hair spray, and highlighters. I don't use dry hair spray or highlighters, and now I have plenty of red lipsticks. I probably am going to discontinue this subscription because I have also received several broken items, which Sephora does not replace, rather they give you points.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I am still waiting for my third subscription box, was shipped on 8/13 but tracking says it won't be here until 8/20. This is frustrating. The products have been ok...but I have bigger samples and faster shipping with Ipsy. I thought I would see which one was more to my liking and trying out both. Ispy is winning this one. I just canceled the Play subscription.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Play! by Sephora?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have a few friends who really liked Sephora, they sell high quality products. The box lets you get access to some of their products without killing your pocket book. There is a good variety since it includes makeup, beauty care products and perfume. I also like that many of the products are full size, not just samples. I am a pale redhead, so it would be nice to get products geared more towards my unique coloring. I don't know if there is a beauty box that spends a lot of time matching individuals though.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I believe Sephora offers the best items for the price. They are high end. Quality make up items. I enjoy shopping at Sephora as we have ones y mall. I like the quality of the products and the shades of makeup I receive in the beauty box. They do a very good job at deciding which products are right for me. Also, the price is right compared to other beauty boxes. I wish more items came in the beauty box. I also wish they included more full size items.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I feel you get better product in this box more than any other subscription box. Love it. Great products for a low price. Each month you get to try all different things like makeup and skin care and perfume. The different products I try out are high end and sometimes you get full size products and you can test things before paying full price if you like it. Some are just sample size and if you like something, some things are super expensive. You have to wait for the box each month. Wish it was never ending.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

It comes with deluxe sample size products. I choose this subscription because it is high end and I love to try new things. It comes with moisturizers, masks, oils, primers, liners, and even fragrances. I really like that I can use the products multiple times to see if they work for me. That way if I don't like it I didn't waste my time in buying a full size one. I am a makeup collector and I love this as a way to collect new products. And it also allows me to try products I don't normally reach for. The box has good features. I guess I wouldn't mind not getting the card to get a one on one session with a beauty expert at Sephora since I don't use it. I know how to do my makeup. I would appreciate if that could be optional and I could instead add a sample.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I thought about purchasing this box but I wasn't super convinced because there are so many out there it was hard to decide. I was in Sephora and it was mostly because the sales person sold me on it. I've tried other boxes because I like trying new things especially when it comes to make up. I love opening my mailbox and seeing a present each time it arrives. It's like Christmas. Each time it varies. And I get to try different companies that I would have never even considered buying. I wouldn't change anything. Throwing in a coupon every now and then would be great! Because make up is not cheap. This would encourage me to buy more.

Play! by Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SEPHORA is a specialty retailer offering cosmetics, haircare products and other beauty accessories. It was founded in France in 1970 and now operates nearly 2,000 stores around the world. The company’s beauty box includes five samples from prestige brands and a bonus fragrance sample. They ship to the contiguous United States.

• Customized: After customers sign up for a PLAY! Box, they fill out a PLAY! Profile. Some products in their box are customized for their specific profile each month.

• PLAY! Pass: Each PLAY! Box comes with a pass to receive a free one-on-one consultation with a beauty consultant at a SEPHORA store. The beauty consultants can teach customers how to use all the products included in that month’s box. Subscribers will receive an additional 50 Beauty Insider points for using their PLAY! Pass.

• PLAY! Date: Select SEPHORA stores host a PLAY! Date each month, during which they can watch makeup tutorials and socialize with other subscribers. Each subscriber can bring one guest.

• Beauty Insider: SEPHORA’s rewards program, called Beauty Insider, is free to join. It gives consumers access to free beauty classes and gives them a gift each year during their birth month. Customers accumulate points for each SEPHORA purchase, and points can be redeemed for products. Subscribers earn Beauty Insider points for their monthly subscription fee.

• Video tutorial: Subscribers can access video tutorials to help them get the most out of their sample products.

• Best for: PLAY! By SEPHORA sells subscription boxes designed for women and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers and gift givers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs