2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Paypal is great, it's easy to use and I like that it's available on so many merchant's website check out. I always use that option when it's available, and it has saved me money. I ordered something I'd seen online and never received it; tried contacting the merchant twice and received no response either time. I put a claim in on the Paypal website and after they tried contacting the business I received a full refund on the purchase. I like that I can have multiple account payment options and choose if I want to use a debit or credit card for my purchase within the Paypal system with a keystroke. I also like being able to go back to my Paypal account and print receipts for items if I've misplaced the original receipts.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PayPal was there when I needed them, I tried with my friends & Family, & I was able to accomplish what I needed to do with no problems, I even send money to my grandson when he got married, & I was able to buy a washer yesterday with Paypal's help, Thank you, Paypal, so far I started my paypal about a year ago, and I pay under their no interest within 12 months, & I haven't had to pay any interest yet. I always make sure, I keep record of my payments, and pay before the interest is due. I'm very happy. They actually do that for you. They are a little expensive, but they are there when you need them!

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I payed for an online purchase 55.28 for a Journey doll that should have been 17" silicone real life doll with clothing...I got a 5" rubber doll with so many flaws the body is covered with them, no hair and a piece of cloth as clothing that is pure white and doesn't fit...I paid using credit card but this seller was linked with Paypal...Immediately upon sending a message to Paypal they assured me they will look into a resolution. I immediately linked my credit card with Paypal and any online order that is done in the future will be done through Paypal only. I have 100% trust in this company. I am over 60 years of age so have always been skeptical of doing things through some other source...no longer.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I made a purchase using my debit card on November 2nd 20/20. I never received the item but the receipt for the purchase is PayPal. I did not use a PayPal account to make the purchase. I use my debit card. So now the automated system is telling me I have to create a PayPal account. I didn't use a PayPal account without make the purchase and I don't want to create one. Now to get my refund I have been given the runaround. I got one agent to answer the phone one time and they, "Did you hear a word I said" because they sent me right back into the automated create account system. So I suggest before you make am payment online make sure the receipt is not tied to PAYPAL because this service is not a pal at all and I see why their rating is half a star and lower. It's a typical scam to get people to use their service. And I will make sure everyone I know and meet will never use this service!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have worked for hours on the phone (tried but cannot talk to a human) and online in various ways to get a password reset but I cannot communicate to anyone or anything unless I have a password or a code. I cannot get them to call me because the phone number they have registered is no longer valid. For a company that is supposed to be used to transfer money and payments it is absolutely terrible. I set up an account some years ago and found out it was an option I could and would avoid if possible but now I found somewhere that it is the only feasible payment option and so I must now just forget purchasing from there because I will not try using PayPal anymore.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Ordered item. Shipper in China. Never received item. Filed claim. Waited over a month and never heard from shipper. Contacted PayPal again. Company states was shipped. Still haven't received item. Paypal saying I didn't file claim in time when I did. Will not help me try to get me money refunded. The China company is Ysole.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I was provided a refund of $558.10 on Oct 30th. I received notice from Paypal stating the refund is complete. That refund was sent to a closed card. As of today, no refund has been received. My bank has confirmed the status and says it never came through to that closed card. Paypal has blocked me from calling and has not responded to my messages. Their last response was, "We have done what we can. It was completed on our side." They are refusing tracking/tracing to determine where the refund is. My bank today filed a dispute with Visa. At least my bank has concerns about an amount lost of 558.10. It is clear that Paypal lacks competition. They do not need to be helpful. They are not competing for their business.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

PayPal supports fraudulent sellers and activities! I received photographs from China of items that I was misled to believe that I purchased. I actually did not receive one item that I was mislead to believe that I purchased. PayPal wanted me to return the junk I received to China in order to receive a full refund. Unbelievable! Will never utilize PayPal again! In these instances, the customer should be fully reimbursed and PayPal should cease supporting the fraudulent seller and report them! I am stunned they refused to resolve this!

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team