2.16/5

41 PaperBackSwap Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2014

Consumer WARNING: Paperbackswap.com and affiliated sites Swapadvd and Swapacd STOLE FROM ME! *NOTICE: Paperback swap stole $30.80 from me. I had 8 credits in my account, valued at $3.95 each. PBS closed my account due to my fee complaint and kept my 8 x $3.95 credits. I had $2.55 cash in my Swapadvd account and they closed my account. They blocked my access to my account and stole my money. I have not gotten it back to date. In addition, my 2 credits s $3.95 has not been returned to date.

Don't open an account or give away your books through them. I was a member on PBS for years. THIS IS NOT A FREE PROGRAM. IT IS A "FEE" PROGRAM. Fees increased: Mailing labels they provide from the site cost $.55 ON TOP of your USPS postage fee. If you don't use their labels, you don't get credit for your book/DVD/CD (that you just spent $3-$5 mailing) UNLESS the receiver (weeks later) remembers to log in and record it. In order to "buy member money", you had to put money in your account: another $.50 transaction fee. Your costs to trade a book: $.55 label fee + the cost of postage (averages almost $4.00); $.50 transaction fee to "buy member money"; and don't forget the COST OF YOUR BOOK! + You may or may not get credit.

Additional warning: members often trade dirty, damaged books. Condition requests are often ignored.

Their sister/affiliate companies (same owner) SWAPACD and SWAPADVD makes you pay $.49 for each movie/CD you request. Cost of "credits" are more than the cost of DVDs/CDs on eBay, Amazon, or at your local Walmart. When the new $.49 fee PER DVD was rolled out (without much warning), I commented on their member forum, and listed my eBay page address. Instead of resolving the issue, or giving me a "warning" not to post my website address, they closed all my accounts.

PAPERBACKSWAP (I had 451 books listed and had 8 books shipped, they owed me 8 credits) STOLEN: $30.80. SWAPADVD (I had $2.55 in cash and 2 credits, worth $3.95 each, and I had dozens of requests to receive) STOLEN: $10.45 and SWAPACD (I had a few CDs posted). This company, based out of Georgia, is dishonest and is not transparent with their program costs. Avoid. If you have an active account, I encourage you to cash out (if they'll let you!) and use up your credits before they close their site!!

Original review: May 20, 2014

I have been a member of Paperbookswap.com for years. Never had an issue until a few days ago. My daughter (under my supervision) posted some children's books. One of the books was posted with a different ISB number by mistake. We didn't notice it because it showed the same cover. When the book was requested and mailed, the person who received it complained saying that she received the wrong binding of the book. This is when it turned ugly. The person was courteous about it and we both assumed it was a system error, so we contacted the administrator at PBS.

I get an email from PBS admin, stating that the mistake was mine and that I purposefully posted the book twice with different ISB numbers. And so they refunded a credit to the person who received my book. I explained that it may have been a mistake when my daughter was entering the number but I was willing to take responsibility. However I asked that they would return my credit since the person who requested the book, agreed to keep the book even though she stated it wasn't the right binding. That's when it turned ugly.

I started to get emails from the admin saying that I have no business allowing my daughter to post books on my account and that I was not entitled to my credit. So I deleted all of my posted books, requested 3 books (my remainder credits) and wrote to PBS expressing my displeasure with their customer service. The next thing I noticed is that my account was blocked with the following plastered on my PBS homepage: "It's not permitted for underage persons to use accounts here; if you will be able to manage this account yourself in future, please let us know. - PaperBackSwap Librarian"

Now my account is blocked and my last 3 credits on the book requests were blocked. I have emailed them and demanded my credits back but all I get is emails of them demanding that I bow down to them! What a joke this book swap site is! They are not only condescending to their members, but they also refuse to work with the members when there is mistake. I will never use this book swap again, and I will never recommend it to anyone. After reading the complaints on this page, I felt compelled to share my unfortunate experience with these morons! I am happy that I switched to BookMooch and BooksfreeSwap.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

I tried to open an account, but the website froze on me halfway through the process and when I tried a second time to open an account using a different email address, they accused me of trying to have multiple accounts and shut me down. I had used a second email address because when I tried to use the first one again it said that there was already an account under that name, even though it had frozen halfway through the signing up process. They refused to listen to me, sent belligerent, nasty, rude emails telling me I was committing fraud. When I tried to explain what had happened, they basically called me a liar and warned me against ever attempting to sign up with them again. I took my business and books to Bookmooch, who are much more professional and run a much better website.

Original review: July 16, 2013

This program is anything but free. I have sent out book after book at my expense for postage and packaging. I receive notices that I will be receiving a book on my wish list. And then a couple days later, I get a notice informing me that they are sorry the book is no longer available with messages saying (actual message received) "changed by mind", "decided to keep a little longer", "sorry donated book to women's shelter." This is a JOKE & a RIP OFF. Don't waste your time or hard earned money. What do I have for all my trouble? A bunch of useless credits to use for books yet I can't get a single book sent to me. I have encountered nothing but flakes. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SITE. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

Original review: May 11, 2013

A month ago, I was banned from swap-a-DVD. They said that I did not report DVDs that I had received? But it is a very weak reason because the burden of the proof should be with the sender. For example, today I received a DVD I ordered more than a month ago, but I am banned. How can I report that I received it? And believe me, when I received them, I marked them received. But if I did not receive them, I did not. What else can I do? Their rules are weak. What they want is to sell that company millions of dollars since we are the ones who put for free their inventory (they have more than 200 of my DVDs and 100 of my books). Just look at how they treat their inventory and customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PaperBackSwap?

Original review: April 19, 2013

My daughter tried to open an account, but because we live together and share a computer and IP address, they accused me of trying to have multiple accounts and shut me down taking my 10 credits and my money in the account for mailing. They refuse to listen to me, sent belligerent rude emails telling me I was committing fraud and accusing me of marking books mailed and mailing them 2-4 days later. My rural PO does not scan items; they get scanned at the routing center in a different city. They are the worst. There should be a competitor out there.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2012

Paperbackswap.com has placed a manuscript on their website with a fake ISBN. They were notified and they still refuse to remove it from their website. Beware of this "shady" organization.

Original review: May 30, 2012

I had shared my computer as well as tried to help others sign up for a trading account with their own address and e-mail, and was locked out of my account immediately, with a notice at the accounts that I was breaking their rules, and trying to get away with having 'duplicate' accounts. They shut down my account, and had several rude e-mails back and forth, telling me that I must agree never to try to assist others in setting up their accounts, as this was signing their contract to trade, and that I was breaking their rules.

So, I confirmed that I wouldn't help others do this, and they continued to refuse to block my account, with much rude and unprofessional dialogue. I had over 25 people that needed to hear from me, to know that I had sent their book, or received it. This is a very unprofessional company, and I would highly recommend finding a more ethical trading company.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2010

I joined Paperback swap some months ago and I joined their box of books swap. I had mailed a box of books to trade with another box of books member in November but I never heard anything back from her regarding the books she was to send me. When I contacted the people at Paperback swap regarding this matter, I was told that I did not e-mail this woman regarding my books when I did. And that she had mailed her books on December 2. I have yet to receive any books from this person. When I tried to reinstate my account, I am now locked out. I think this is a lousy way to run a business and I hope some day their site will be shut down. It was a hard lesson to learn and I am still out of my $8 that I paid to join the box of books but I will never go on that site again and I will let others know of the nasty way they do business.

Original review: April 2, 2010

My account was fine until I started trying to use up my credits. I had about 108 when they froze my account, accusing me of reselling their books on my storefront. I tried to explain to them that I order a lot of books for friends/acquaintances who want books but do not want to join the club. Apparently, my account activity over the last couple of months flagged my account.

I received a nasty email telling me, "Don't try to deny it; we can see the books on your storefront." Their terms of use forbid anyone from reselling books either in person or online. I don't see how this can possibly be controlled or enforced. I feel that if I am in possession of an item, then it becomes my property to do as I wish. Anyway, there is no way to prove that any one book came from their website. I lost 108 credits with approximate value of $2.38 to $2.77 each, which is the average price to mail a book media mail.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2009

I notified BBB about an issue with Paperbackswap and instead of resolving the issue, they closed my accounts on SwapaDVD.com and Paperbackswap.com which are under the same branch, meaning they not only kept my balances and credits from the issue at hand but now I can't access 10 credits I had from books that were not in dispute as revenge for reporting on this site.

Their exact message when I try to log-in is: "You refuse to take responsibility for the DVDs you never marked as received (you keep demanding credits back for those, although you confirm that you did get them - you just didn't mark them received). You also refuse to take responsibility for all of the DVDs you marked as mailed that USPS never scanned as having been mailed and which were never received. At this point, your account owes 14 DVD credits. We have been willing to let you pay them back into the system by sending DVDs that are received, but you do not want to do this. You have filed a complaint with the BBB. Your account has been closed, still with a negative balance (you owe the club - the club does not owe you). SwapaDVD Team"

They seem to feel free taking away my balance and my credits at will and instead of allowing me to use this site, they punish me for it. How can a site have a good standing with the BBB if they take action to hurt anyone who uses the BBB? I continue to be victimized by the unprofessionalism of this site and now I am further being punished for reporting to the BBB, which they freely admit in their above message.

As a result of reporting the site to the BBB, they are now keeping the account balance of $2.86 from Swapadvd.com; $1 they are keeping from Paperbackswap.com and the 10 books I had mailed from their site since the credits were frozen as a result of me reporting on this site. They froze my assets with no compensation. I had also spent $4.70 to insure my credits which is now useless. They are keeping all of these funds now as revenge plus postage fees.

PaperBackSwap Company Information