2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

Nook Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nook?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nook?

Original review: March 19, 2019

For years I have been doing all my "E" thru the Kindle format. I just bought a 4 book series and downloaded the Nook app. The quality of what I bought thru Barnes and Noble is way subpar from what I have ever read in Kindle. Pages had lines thru then and some were quite wide and some pages were crocked to view on the screen. Forget about trying to contact Barnes and Noble to complain - is very frustrating. When entering my order number it told me it did not exist. If I could give them 0 stars I would.

Original review: March 6, 2019

After several calls, Still unable to activate new Nook e-reader. We were told our Nook was defective & to return to store. Local store here doesn't accept returns. Supposedly, we need return authorization, which we are unable to get. Customer service representatives keep transferring us to other people. I am NOT giving up. I can understand why people go "postal".

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I received this tablet as a birthday gift to replace a cheapo 35 dollar one that I dropped and broke. This tablet freezes all the time and takes some time to boot up. I would not recommend to anyone. Really wish I had received the same one I had, which by the way was a RCA from Walmart.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This is the second day I called Barnes & Noble's customer service to no avail. I called to take off the lock-out/fraud alert that I had after misplacing my Nook. The first day I called, after 40 minutes on hold, I was re-directed to several departments. The last person was going to re-direct me to yet another department but I could no longer wait as my deployed grandson was calling.

Again I tried customer service today at 12:10 pm and spoke to #1 Rachael in "sales." Rachael transferred me to #2 Jan, who transferred me to #3 Linda, because "you need a special team for this." I was transferred to #4 "Reg" (sounds like), who wanted to transfer me back to sales!! I had to beg her to let me speak to a supervisor who was #5 Mark. MARK SAID, "Only Sales/audit department can help so I'll have to transfer you to SALES!!!" I told him that I already spoke to them and, "Why would you send me back to them??" He said, "Stay on the line and I will explain to them." After a 25 minutes on hold for him to come back, with no sound, I hung up. I spent a total of one hour and fifteen minutes on hold today and after five people! Just today.

So after two days of trying, I still cannot download a new purchased NOOK book because my Nook is still on "FRAUD ALERT AND LOCKED." I am traveling and rely on it. No one there seems to know what their job is nor how to do it. B&N obviously needs better and more training, and they also need to hire people who speak and understand English. Some did, not all. Now I have to try to get a refund on the e-book I just bought this morning. I will start using my Kindle from now on.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've had the Nook hd+ 10" for nearly 4 years now and it just started glitching. My main problem with the whole thing is there aren't any hard protective cases that fit this tablet. I have gone through so many leather, corded, portfolio, any of those soft cardboard feeling cases that it makes me sick to count how much I've spent on cases alone to protect my nook. I have been rough with it, dropped it, a puppy chewed up the cord and I replaced it, it was scratched but still worked and now I have a huge crack in the screen and no protection for it other than a screen protector and it glitches on start up.

If this company ever comes out with a 10" hard cover protective case made of plastic or metal I'm going to be the first to buy it. I love my nook hd+ and it's been a dream for years now and I hope my next nook hd+ lasts just as long or longer with the propper protective case. Whenever I had a problem customer service was a big help. Most problems for the nook hd+ were just so easy to fix that if I wasn't computer illiterate then I could have fixed them by myself. Set-up was so easy and getting started was a breeze. Ordering books was simple and having my books read to me made it easy for me to do several things at one time. Maybe I just got lucky with my nook because a lot of people have complained about it being hard to reset and difficult to set-up and order books or you lose books that you bought.

I have lost a few books that were no longer available but they were free books or first in the series books that were free and are no longer available. I found it doesn't bother me because all the books that I did buy are still in my library and I haven't lost any money. (So far). I do give this a big 5 star review because having no real problems and a nook that does exactly what it was intended to do for as long as I have had mine is a real accomplishment.

Other than wear and tear from personal use and improper protective casing this has been one of the best investments that we have ever made. I love my nook and hope to get a new one soon. The reason for the glitching is the buttons are mashed into the button holes and the screen is scratched right through the center from end to end. Like I said personal use. (Blaming my pup). Still 4 years is an awfully long time for this tablet to work and I love it. Hope they come up with some more nook brand accessories for the 10" hd+. :)

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was in touch with Nook support who tried helping me with resetting the Nook Tablet 7 - however nothing worked. I was told that I could go back to the store to get another one or wait 3 to 5 days in the mail to receive one. I then looked up reviews on Consumer Affairs and was sorry that I didn't look up these reviews first before purchasing. I purposely got the Nook for travel and am going away tomorrow. It is a major inconvenience for me to have to go to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to return my purchase. I just also don't understand why they are selling this product. I purchased a Kindle through Amazon for my grandson and he has used it for two years without any problems. He has dropped it, etc. etc. etc but it still works well. My concern with this product is that it seems to have major issues and Barnes and Noble continues to sell them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I do not normally write reviews, but my experience was a disaster. I bought a book from Nook, spent hours reading and highlighting the important passages, which I need for my work. When I went back all the highlights were gone. When I called Barnes and Nobel they provided no explanation, made no further attempt to find the lost highlights, and worst of all, gave me no assurance that it would not happen again. Needless to say, I never bought another book from Nook.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

After 20 minutes and after a computer needing input, then a front person needing input, then a "tech asst" who asked me the same questions and spent 5 min. in broken English (I could not get the NOOK, within a book, to pull up the reading tools) put me on hold for 4 more min. to come back and say, "I can't help you. Call Barnes & Noble."

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

I bought a nook HD plus. Things worked fine for a month, then it all went to crap. I first noticed it would reboot itself and started doing it more if I played a game with a lot of video, or watched a video. Then I noticed the base of the charger gets hot, NOT just warm HOT! I also noticed the back corner of the nook itself was getting hot!! It since then died and now won't charge.

I then called customer service after I left a message on nook fb about it getting hot. Customer service told me that I needed to take it to a Barnes and noble for tests to be ran on it. They asked if I one where the closest one was, I said "yes, the closest one is an hour away". And customer service advised I should take it to the Barnes and noble store an hour away... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I've read a lot of people complain about the nook and/or charger getting HOT I think maybe a class action lawsuit needs started.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

Called their customer helpline in USA as device cannot setup. Then they said I have to contact Sainsbury's in UK as they left UK. Then I contacted Sainsbury's in UK, they claimed that for device problem, I had to contact their USA office. Calling USA office again, they said in that case, they had no idea on what I should do, and said they have already give me the answer which was they had no idea, they only took care American customers. I asked "so you did not care about all the customers in UK anymore?" Then the answer was they have left UK. Very disappointed with their attitude. When I tried to take down case number, she tried to read very fast.

Nook Company Information