Newport News

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I really miss shopping with Newport News, the clothes were tailor for work. I'm in my 60's and I like the stylish clothes that offer. Sammy or Rosewholesale or some of clothes just don't fit me right nor are appropriate work. Any suggest??

I ordered a swimsuit 2/16/2011, returning it in March, as it was too long in the torso. I made several attempts calling Newport News, one time on the line for about 3 hours(!), as I never received a credit. After emailing Deborah ** emailed back telling me that I would receive a credit to use or be credited back on my visa. I have talked to a Penny & a Lamar since then, reassuring me that it would be taken care of. The last time that I talked to someone they said that my information had been archived and that they would look into it & call me back. That was 11/7/12!!! Never received it!

I'm a frequent shopper of Newport News, Spiegel and Shape FX which I get daily emails of these companies sales combined, along with The Ultimate Outlet. I've never had any issues with Spiegel. But since Newport News is in the mix, I've been very disappointed. Sure they have excellent deals and it’s great when you order something, get a confirmation of your purchase, see debit activity from your card and even receive shipping confirmation! And then some of the items arrive and others do not. I've even called customer service and was told that items are coming from different vendors and they will be shipped at a different time.

Long story short, I later see a credit on my card for the amount plus shipping of the unshipped item, which at least I didn't have the hassle others have written about getting credited, etc. But how can there be such frequent lapses between the website and warehouse on inventory quantities? And how can this company care so little when you call to not even offer say, a free shipping code (their shipping is insanely overpriced), to keep a customer happy despite their oversights? Well, judging from the list of complaints, Newport News is Bad News! Their customer service reps are apathetic and clearly have no clue what’s going on, nor have any authorization to try and keep customers happy. Oh, and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told they cannot connect me. But one would call me to follow up on my complaint. Their supervisors must be out of stock as well!

I have done business with Newport News for over 30 years. The customer service is so poor now and I am so dissatisfied that I will no longer do business with this company. I have been told several times now over a period of a week that a supervisor will call within 24-48 hours, but I received no call. I've seen many complaints filed with consumer agencies all stating the same. It's disgraceful. I received 2 emails daily from Newport News alerting me to their sales and other information and I am wondering why, if they are so aggressively seeking sales, would they not want to keep their customers (both new and longstanding) happy? For all the purchases I've made, I haven't returned a purchase in probably 10 years, so it's not that I don't know what my size is or know what I am and I'm certainly not demanding or hard to satisfy. What a shame to lose customers over a simple return phone call and easily handled complaint. Luckily, there are so many superior companies that want my business and are professional.

Newport News not honoring court order to honor certificate - In September of 2010, I received 2 merchandise certificates for items I had returned to Newport News in the amount of $174.52 and $81.55. When I tried to redeem, I was told that the company had filed for bankruptcy and I could not use. I received notification of the lawsuit against Newport News and filed the proper claim forms and was listed as a debtor.

I received instructions of what to do in order to claim these certificates via Spiegel awards, which I did, and received an email that I "didn't qualify". I have contacted Newport News numerous times only to be told that a "supervisor" would call me back. This never happens! Yesterday, I was told a supervisor would call me at 2:00. At 2:15, I called and was told "Chris" the supervisor was at lunch and she would leave a message for him/her to call me. I never received a call. Not sure what my next steps are.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Newport News?

Newport News pesters me and then never shipped my order! After 44 days of not receiving my order, I decided to email them to find out what was going on. I got an email back that they would respond in 48 hours. I waited 72 hours, yet no such response was received. I decided to call the 1800 number listed on their website. My order was cancelled by the warehouse, yet I was never notified and my online account manager shows the order as processing. The representative said that it will show processing forever since the warehouse no longer has the order in their system. Umm, no wonder they are going bankrupt!

I was so dissatisfied, I told her I'd like to speak to a manager because this is not how you take an order and not fill it. She said she cannot give me a manager because they only make outbound calls. Okay. A manager is supposed to call me within 24-48 hours. Forty-eight hours later, no such call! I called again. Managers only make out bound calls. I put my name in again! Forty-eight hours later, no call. The manager does not call back. They take orders yet do not fill them. They do not give you any communication. Do not buy from this company ever!

Basically, I ordered two dresses, one in Dec 2010, the other in early spring of 2011. I was given the "run around" regarding credits returns. But join the Newport News club, etc. you will see credit on statement, excuses! Next thing, I hear bankruptcy! Yet, they can still take orders! No credit for me, out $170.00 and I filed with courts, nothing! That number is disconnected. Still nothing, where do I go? I have now noticed that there are items I have purchased that they are selling at twice the cost. I have a picture that I can show me in that dress (vivid purple dress now selling for $275.00, I got for 85!). I just want something and to be able to contact the settlement group! Help! They should not be able continue to operate doing business! Attorney, contact me.

On October 6, 2011, I ordered a dress from Newport News. It was for an event on 11/6/11. They sent the wrong size. I phoned customer service. She said to send the dress back and would send the correct size. I did. I then received two of the same dress still in the wrong size. I returned both. In December, I received a bill from the Newport News credit card which stated I owed money. I phoned the customer service and was told my account was credited.

In January, I started receiving collection calls. I phoned the customer service at Newport News, and again, I was told they credited my account. In February, I received another bill with late fees; and still, nothing was credited off. I phoned again and was told how sorry they were and it was credited. In March, now I receive the bill stating I owe $216.91, and Melia at customer Service now says they have done all they can. No supervisor can talk to me, and I need to call the credit card company. I attempted and after being on hold and pressing all the numbers, the recording said they were closed and to call back. I will not let my credit be scared by Newport News. I also do not believe I should pay anything for their errors! This is unacceptable!

On 2/22/2012, I ordered four items online from Newport News. About a week later, they sent an email to say the package was shipped. When I received the package, there were only two items. The packing slip also listed only the two items. Prior to receiving the item, they had already debited my account for the total amount. I checked my email to see if they had sent me an email to say the items were coming in two shipments. No such email. I went back to their site and checked my account to see if there was any information. It just showed the entire order was fulfilled.

I called the company and tried to speak with a customer service representative. Worst experience ever. I say tried since communicating with this guy was like pulling teeth with no Novocaine. I told the guy what my issue was and asked whether the two items would be shipped at a later date since they had taken the money for all four items. Total silence. Throughout the conversation I had to keep asking, "Are you there?" or "Hello" since there were such long moments of silence. I felt I had been cut off. Eventually, he said we are out of the items.

Once again, I had to do his job for him and ask whether I would get a refund of the money they took for the two items that were not shipped. He said yes. Okay, my fault. I asked a closed question and he answered accordingly. So I pushed again by asking when this refund will be processed. He said, "Right away." Okay. Once again, I thought I may have gotten some kind of email communication to confirm all of this but alas, no such luck. I am waiting to see when exactly I will be getting back my money. In the meantime, I will be going into every consumer site to write about this company and its horrible service.

I placed an order with Newport News on "Black Friday" 2011 and got a partial delivery on Dec. 27, 2011. I called and asked for a return label to return the late delivery. I was told that there is no return label and I should ship via UPS or USPS. I returned the items and did not get any refund, although the items were received by Newport News and I could prove it. I called Newport News middle of January 2012 and was asked about a tracking number, which I could provide. I was told the refund should be on my account in about 10 days including the shipping cost I paid. I called again in February 2102 because I did not see any refund on my account. Same question and same answer. It seems like they wait until you give up.

I placed and order of items that were on sale on 11-30-11. I never received the order. I have called six times to get a different story each time. I asked to cancel and was told the same as so many people have said you have to cancel in 24 hours. I have called and asked for a supervisor and was told no! I had to wait for a return call of which I have never received. I sent several emails to customer service and customer care and no reply. I am so frustrated that if they were located locally, I would pay a visit. I do not know what else to do. I will never, never order anything from these people again.

I placed an online order with Newport News for some merchandise in a size 12. I received the order through UPS and it was a size 6! I immediately contacted Newport News and questioned the size indication on the articles and I was explained that there is a "glitch" in the online ordering system that defaults your order to a size 6 if the items that you order are not in stock! Huh? I questioned why the system would allow a consumer place an order for merchandise if it isn't available. I also said that consumers should not be allowed to place online orders if this "glitch" happens. The website should be shut down! I have been advice by all of the representatives that I have spoken to that if I would have called in and placed my order by phone the representatives would have been able to tell if the items were in stock in my sizes. I thanked them all for informing me of that "after the fact" and I explained to them that this was unacceptable business practices and I am telling everyone that I know to never, ever order anything from Newport News.

I have requested to speak to a supervisor each time that I have called and I have been told that there is no supervisor that accepts incoming calls and that they make call backs. I am still waiting and I have made a copy of my UPS tracking information because after reading everyone else's stories, I wanted to have some extra supporting information. I cannot seem to get my money back and each representative that I speak to tells me the 7 to 10 business days crap, that everyone else posting has been told and I used my financial institution's debit card to make this purchase. Thank goodness I have disputed these charges with them and they are reversing them and handling the situation from here. I am sharing this horrid experience with everyone that I know and don't know to help stop these types of bad business practices and I hope everyone on this site gets what they deserve to get. This sad and frustrating!

I order 4 "shawl type" sweaters for my friends. They looked so pretty on the site and thought they would be great gifts for Christmas. I ordered them early in November, never got them until the week before Christmas (called several times and they told me they were back ordered). When I finally got them and opened them up, they were made so inferior and were very cheap looking, I couldn't believe my eyes.

So I returned them immediately, which was around December 19, 2011. It is now January 31, 2012 and my call history to them started January 10th, January 23, January 26 and today, January 31, 2012 with the same exact question, "when I am going to get my refund?" I get the same answer, “we are backed up,” “the return center moved,” sometimes “these things take a while,” and blah, blah, blah. Now the latest from them is that I have to produce a tracking number because I sent it priority mail. They need to refund me $88.54 (will I ever see that money?) and I truly believe, from all the complaints on this site, that there is more going on with Newport News then what meets the eye.

I am appalled at the lack of concern for their customers, I am furious at the way I have been given the run-around and every time I have called, it has been a different excuse. Is this really happening? I try to remember the names of the customer service women who I have talked to when I call, but, they have names that are very hard to pronounce and to remember. I will never, ever, order anything from them again and I will spread the word to all my family and friends to never ever buy anything from Newport News. Even if I get my refund back (I doubt it). I will make sure that people know it is a shoddy operation and the public be aware.

First let me say that I have always been happy with both Spiegel and Newport News. Until, that is, I somehow got signed up for some "Insider's Pass" with Newport News and was paying 15 bucks a month. After trying several times, they finally stopped the recurring charge. But, anyhow, my main concern is that it recently became extremely hard to pay your charge card online. There is no link on their sites anymore. The only way I was able to find the place to pay was to google "Spiegel credit card payment." That in itself is ridiculous. I just paid off both cards and am done with both companies. I will not order anything else with them after being a loyal customer for years. It seems like their prices went through the roof and reading all the complaints, it's not worth the chance that I may never see the merchandise but still have the privilege of paying for it.

I stopped ordering from Newport News a few years ago because of the lack of communication when I was trying to get a refund for product I returned.

I recently ordered from one of their companies again (Spiegels and Shape FX). First off, they charge you tax on the original price, which I've found out is illegal and after calling them, I just get, "we don't know how they charge you ". Huh? What or how do they not know, and I tried emailing two of their customer service email addresses and both times my email bounced back like the email address doesn't exist. I never got that resolved, I was just over charged tax and its like there isn't anyone in the company that they will let me talk to about it.

Then today, going on my account, I see that they charge me the incorrect price, about double what I was supposed to pay for. I called and the rep tells me immediately, "I'm sorry, they charged you the incorrect price, I will put in for a credit". It's like it happens all the time, she didn't have to research it or anything, she immediately knew I was overcharged even before I gave her my order number. This company (which includes Shape FX & Spiegels) is corrupt. They have been in business too long to be unaware, so it has to be on purpose.

I placed an order to Newport News on January 3rd. The order still shows as processing. I have made numerous calls and they keep telling me the warehouse is backed up, the order is still processing and they have no way of contacting the warehouse and so on--just many excuses. When I asked about canceling my order, they said it's past the 24-hour cancellation period and I may still get my order anyway, which tells me also I may not.

I placed an order Nov. 26th for Christmas presents and did not receive it until the week after Christmas (the 28th I think). It was in stock, not on back order the entire time. I did not accept delivery and had UPS send it back. 3.5 weeks later and I still have not been reimbursed for the return. When I called to inquire, I was told I would just have to wait and they refused to let me speak with a supervisor. Do not order from Newport News!

I have already lodged one complaint against this company. I originally thought they only deducted $80.98 from my account for three dresses I purchased on sale with the grand total, tax, shipping and all for $56.69. But it seems after reviewing my account again, they have taken both amounts from my bank account!

I purchased 3 dresses for Newport News that were on sale with additional 50% off that you didn't need a coupon for because it was automatically deducted once you put it into your shopping cart. I thought everything was fine until I checked my online banking and found that they have actually charged me at least $25 more than my receipt says. $56.69 was my total; they drafted $80 and some change from my bank. I am so ** because this is deceptive of them.

Where do they get the nerve to take more money out of my account without my approval? Are they so desperate for money that they have to trick people or steal from them in order to get their business? I was always a loyal customer and enjoyed shopping with them, but not anymore. Their sister company Spiegel is no better either. They did me the same way and it took a while to get my money back after sending several darn emails listing my complaints. I am thru with both of them. What happened to these two companies? I will never buy from them again. I just want my money back.

Original order was on 11/17. Wrong size was sent. Re-ordered on 11/23. To date I have not received credit for return. Accepted by Newport News on 12/1 and have not received replacement. E-mails remain unanswered and customer service is a joke. It would seem that since Newport is in bankruptcy (chapter 11, re-organization). They are attempting to liquidate, tie-up customers’ money, and move into Chapter 13. If that happens, they will not have to pay anyone; assets will be liquidated, and only the largest creditors will receive a portion of money owed. I am still receiving multiple e-mail offers daily for merchandise. Maybe their suppliers/vendors have shut them off and refused to ship any merchandise until they have been paid monies owed. Credit for returned merchandise, including my return shipping and an answer to (5) e-mails requesting order status.

I purchased a pair of shoes online from Newport News in a size 10. I received the order and the shoes were a size 7. No return postage provided in the package. I called customer service and was told the shoes I ordered were not available in stock or on back order. So I would have to return the wrong size 7 shoes and pay for the return myself. Next day I sent customer service an e-mail venting my disapproval of me paying for the return when it was clearly their error and requested that they send me a return pre-paid postage. I have not heard from anyone as of yet.

I placed an order for one pair of jeans on ShapeFX that was confirmed by e-mail on 12/2/11, on sale and free postage. At the end of December, I rang the onsite customer number and was routed to Newport News Customer service. On the third call, they admitted there had been a problem with all FX online orders. They had been lost at the warehouse I was told. I was persuaded to reorder the same product via Newport News instead but with the cost of postage each way and not at the same sale price.

I was not happy as I had to call Newport News three times before they admitted it was their fault. They could not find my original order with ShapeFX. In addition, the same pairs of jeans arrived on two separate occasions both charged to my credit card at $50.95 qnd $37.94 respectively in January 2012. When I called to sort this out, the service agent tried to stick the expense of returning both pairs on me instead of the company taking responsibility for their error. In addition, as per usual, they could not find my customer order number in their system. I asked to speak to the manager of customer service and held on for 20 minutes. Then told she would call me back in the next 48 hours. I have spent a good four hours of my time with Newport News so far over this order for one pair of jeans and it is not over yet.

1. orders not being processed
2. charging my credit card more than the original sale amount
3. will not credit my account until the entire order is complete
4. past returns not being credited to my account
5. will not give me UPS tracking #'s

6. customer service does nothing to help the customer

Ordered something and to date haven't received it. Only recently advised of their warehouse move. Advised also that I can't cancel order as it has been over 24 hours. Yet, they continue to send me at least 10 emails a day trying to get my business. Nowhere on website does it state that the warehouse was moving, but that orders are taking longer due to holidays. I didn't even know they had filed bankruptcy.

How can a company who files bankruptcy continue to sell products and take our money? I feel what they are doing is illegal as they know what is going on and doing nothing too remedy it or let us know if advance that they were moving and causing a delay, but they don't. Unless you ask them, they don't say a thing, Isn't there a something that states they have to be truthful in their business practices? You try and get an answer over the phone and people are rude and don't have any answers to give you. I would like them to make a public apology and cease doing business until they are able to comply with previous orders.

I ordered a holiday dress and received my order on 11/10/2010. The dress was a $200 dress but I waited for a discount code and snatched it for $149. I returned the order by 11/20/2010 due to poor quality. By 12/20/2010, I was placing numerous calls in an effort to learn the status of my refund. I was finally told it would be refunded around 12/22/2010. It was not. I began calling every 2 to 3 days and was told conflicting stories and made conflicting promises. I was suppose to get a call from someone who does the accounting then was told there was no accounting department.

Finally, as of 1/4/2012, I'm being told I should see it in 24-48 hours but maybe not for 10 - 15 days. Oh, wait, the good part - I am only being refunded $119 of my $149 order. So, I'm paying approximately $60 for a dress I never wore and I still have to wait 60+ days for a refund. I think the Office of Thrift Supervision needs to be notified.

First, it did not cost $25 to return that package, and second, they are holding my money in excess of 60 days and now they want me to pay for return shipping! They took countless hours from my day because I had to consistently follow up to get my refund. This is money I am not earning interest on because they are! I even had one of their people send me to the credit card company and I don't even hold a Newport News credit card - that was a waste of 45 minutes of holding! I am very unhappy.

I ordered a swimsuit in May 2011, and returned it due to poor quality and fit, on June 6, 2011. I received an email regarding their bankruptcy, refusing to credit me. I called, and was told I would receive my credit after their fire sale. To this date, I have not received my credit, and they have the nerve to send me emails to buy their products.

It was a poor management decision to move a warehouse, prior to Christmas. Bottom line, I placed an order on 12/12/11 and to date, it's still showing "processing". I sent two emails via the "contact us" link on the site, and nobody answered. I made two calls, and the customer service rep assured me at the first call that the order would be shipped out in a couple days. Four business days later, it's still "processing". Evidently there is a huge backup, given the warehouse move, and new system changes. I have never had such issues with this company before, and can appreciate the need for change in business.

However, to do it right at Christmas time, seemed to be a bad move, and to have emails go unanswered, is twice as bad for business. I am trying to hang in there and patiently wait, but given the other complaints I read from people who placed orders even months before mine, does not leave a warm and fuzzy feeling. I am surprised Newport News and Spiegel have handled business in this manner. I told the customer service rep that if this is the kind of service to expect from now on, then I am taking my business elsewhere. It's a shame because the clothing is very nice. To date, I am still waiting. I just hope I am not old and gray before I finally receive my sassy-looking lace-back T-shirt. That's it, that's all I ordered, and it's still "processing".

I ordered several items in the middle of October. They arrived 2 weeks later all the wrong size. They told me to send them back. They told me that their warehouse was being relocated and just return them for a refund. I sent it all back and it is the end of December and still no refund!

I ordered an outfit on 11/26/11. As of 12/16/11, it is still considered in processing. I have called customer service 3 separate times and was told that it is delayed because of warehouse relocation. I tried to cancel the order since it has not shipped yet and was told to just return it when and if it arrives. I have emailed their customer service department and the e-mail bounced back as undeliverable.

I ordered a Christmas specific sequined dress on 11/23/11 (it is 12/15/11 as I write this). It was for a holiday party. The party has come and gone, and no dress. My order still shows processing. I've called twice, was told a supervisor put in a "referral slip", and there was no way to cancel the order. I 've emailed twice also to cancel. I was told when I receive the order, I could then return it. Great. The shipping charge was $28.31, and I have to pay to ship it back. The reason I'm told is their warehouse is being moved, causing the delays. What kind of company does this? This is criminal, and I've read others are having the same problems. Something must be done! I feel so wronged, and hope others will speak up.

Newport News Company Profile