1.86/5
Based on 51 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

58 MyCheckFree.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have been using MyCheckFree.com for over 10 years to pay my electric bill with FPL. I used them because FPL with all their wisdom did not have an automatic payment back then and elected to allocate the service to this company and paid them commission. I set the automatic payment and I forgot about paying anything. I never got any mailings from FPL. The other day, I found a letter from FPL. Since I never got any bills from them, I opened it right away. I am glad I did because it was a notice to shut off my electric service If I don't pay my last 3 unpaid bills within a week. I called FPL immediately and found out they charged me late fees also.

I paid them directly right away and managed to have the late fees reversed. I called MyCheckFree to inquire about the reason why my automatic payment was canceled, they offered no explanation. They tried to blame the State of Florida for passing a law limiting the autopayment if it is over $900. When I said that my payments are around $100, they had no answer. They claimed that a notification was sent to customers about the cancellation. I told them to heck my messages on their website which shows no messages. I got no emails or calls. They offered no remedies for the mishap. When I pressed and asked about what they were going to do for this situation, they offered to call FPL and have one of the late fees dropped. I knew then it was time to ditch them and set up a direct automatic payment with FPL. I do not think that their services are needed any longer.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Remember when scheduling to allow several extra days to pay the bill on time; they have a calendar function to warn you if the due date falls on a weekend or holiday. I use it to my NYSEG bill. Overall, no problems with Mycheckfree.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 22, 2018

It only takes one time for them to fail to pay a bill on time...to cause problems and, unfortunately, that's what just happened to me. I've used MyCheckFree.com to pay my local utilities bill (gas, water, solid waste, etc.) and electricity bill since at least 2007, long before many utilities accepted online payments without a service charge. In fact, my local utilities provider still charges an exorbitant service charge for an online or by-phone payment, so having MyCheckFree.com available was handy, especially since I have had it set up to auto-pay on both accounts for as long as I've been registered for the service, so for at least 10 years.

However, when I happened to log in several days ago on the day that my local utilities bill was due simply to check something on the bill, I noticed that it hadn't yet been paid. When I further checked the account setting, I found that the auto-pay feature had been turned off. The feature also had been turned off on my other account for the electricity bill, which thankfully wasn't due for two more weeks. When I called Customer Service, the agent initially refused to speak to me, because he asserted that I wasn't the account holder. He couldn't seem to understand that people's accounts are frequently in their proper names, but their emails or the name they go by may be a shortened version of their proper names.

Once we got past that hurdle and he put me on hold no less than three times, his best explanation as to why BOTH of my accounts had been taken off of the auto pay feature was because the most recent bills from both of the billers had been modified and both of the billers had cancelled my auto pay. When I told him that this seemed a little coincidental to me, he said that was the only thing that could have happened. I asked if perhaps the auto pay could have been cancelled by a system glitch on their end, but he refused to acknowledge that the cancellation was caused by anything other than both billers modifying my bills.

Perhaps one entity modifying a bill I could accept, but both is a bit of stretch for me. Further, when I told him that my payment for the bill that was due that day was now going to be late unless I paid a high same-day service charge, he said I could simply call the local utilities agency and pay via phone (a) as if it weren't already after hours and (b) as if that wouldn't result in the same high service charge even if it weren't after hours. At no point did he offer for MyCheckFree.com to try to make anything right, because at no time did he accept responsibility for the problem on behalf of MyCheckFree.com.

I immediately cancelled my account with MyCheckFree.com that night and will never use their services again. My credit history is too important to me to trust to their "maybe we'll pay your bill on time, maybe we won't" attitude and my money is too valuable to me to pay service charges to make sure bills are paid on time when they don't. What good is an auto pay service if I have to go behind it to make sure that it pays the bill on time?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I received a final disconnect notice from Eversource. When I called them, it turns out somehow I got set up in MyCheckFree. Well, MyCheckFree says I don't have an account (a "profile" in their words) yet Eversource says that so long as MyCheckFree is involved there is a block on me getting paper or email bills. MyCheckFree customer service is zero help, hung up on me, and transferred me to my bank when I asked for a supervisor. Well, my bank has no record of me using MyCheckFree (as I don't, and never did). DO NOT EVER, EVER USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I went to one of our convenience stores to pay my gas bill for Centerpoint Energy. I made my payment on 01/31/2017. On 02/06/2017 my gas was disconnected because they never received my payment. I go to the store to find about and they tell me to call CheckFree which is the company that processes the payment. Well since Check Free didnt make my payment, I now have to pay a reconnect fee 37.00 and a deposit of 100.00. I spoke with Check Free and they were very rude. I was even hung up on by an agent claiming to be a supervisor. I spoke with another agent who was rude and ended up sending me back to the first lady who says her name is Cheryl. I asked to speak with someone else and she told me "that's not going to happen." I want to be reimbursed for Check Free's mistake. They are not cooperating with me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MyCheckFree.com?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I am very disappointed with mycheckfree website. Pay button does not appear on the payment email forcing me to log in every time I want to make a payment. Lately the login has been unreliable. To resolve problems their instructions are to "click the free WebChat link". Unfortunately there is no WebChat link. I wrote an email in the "contact" tab. They responded with a telephone number. I was barely able to speak with someone in India. Short story: the problem was not resolved. I have gone back to paying by check.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

I have been using MyCheckFree.com since 1998. These folks have never missed a payment or erred in any way in servicing my account. I schedule payments 5 days in advance of due date, monitor scheduled payments, maintain alternative payment methods as a backup although I have seldom needed to use an alternative, as with all things Internet related there is a chance of a screw up. The complaints I see in this thread indicate they are a result of pilot error. As quoted from John Wayne, "life is tough, it's a whole lot tougher if you're stupid."

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I started using MyCheckFee before most companies accepted electronic payments. I have never had any problems with them. They state that they do NOT have next day payment set up. You do have to know when your bill is due and adjust accordingly, like making sure the bill is paid on the Friday because they do not send payment on Saturday, Sunday, or major holidays. Several companies (especially those associated with Citibank) have opted out and that makes us inconvenient having to go to their specific websites. I have recommended MyCheckFree to many people and will continue until I have problems. I think what concerns me, is the lack of communication with the company within their site. You have run a search for the phone number and if I remember right, they use to have a chat set up many, many years ago. I hope those that have problems can get them straightened out.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I've used this service for years to pay my Sam's Club account. Recently they switched to card with chip. I received an email from MCF that account # had changed but I was covered. Get another email 4 days after payment due saying they didn't make and I need to take action. Late payment on my credit score and $25 late fee on account. Beware of using MCF.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

I pay my electric bill thru MyCheckFree. My bill was $101.01 cents. MyCheckFree took out $169 plus $139 all in one day! I called MyCheckFree and they said to call Xcel Energy so I did. So Xcel said "this is not right! Your bill is $101.01. Where do they come up with these numbers?" So she had me stay on the line and she called MyCheckFree and he started arguing with her and said "Mam you need to call Xcel." She said "THIS IS XCEL! How did you come up with these numbers? Her bill is only 101.01." Well he just kept on arguing with her and she said to him "Sir I need you to hang up now!" So she told me that they don't even work with them anymore because of this and to cancel MyCheckFree account. To make a long story short Xcel is only refunding $50.00. I will never use MyCheckFree again!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I have been using My Check Free for well over 10 years, with no problem at all, which is why I am writing this review. I do not understand the negative reviews by some people here. True, generally an electronic payment to a business goes through the same day it is scheduled, but My Check Free is a third party service offering itself as an electronic payment option before many companies accepted online payments, or if they did, they charged a fee. That was the case with my utility companies. If I paid them directly online, I would have been charged an extra fee, so I started sending payments through My Check Free. As some companies switched to accepting payments directly without charging extra, I switched from paying through My Check Free to paying the companies directly.

Still, I find it convenient to find some monthly bills grouped in one location through My Check Free. It can take longer for payments to be processed through them, but they are a third party service. Have you ever transferred payments from one bank online to another? It does not happen in a day, even with a well known major bank everyone has probably heard of. As with any bill payment, you have to keep track of due dates and realize you cannot make a payment instantly through this service. I find them a valuable option for paying bills.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Macy's uses this company to bill out for their AmEx cards. Unbeknownst to me, I had a $2 fee being charged after I paid my bill in full on January 21st, 2016. No email or paper statements were sent to me until TODAY, June 17th, 2016. In the emailed statement, it said I had a past due balance of $6.69. It has been accruing since I paid my balance in full. If they had my email address in June, why didn't they have my email address in February to send me the first statement of $1-2 owed.

I feel this is done on purpose and a very shady business practice. It's a small amount, but it is probably affecting my credit. In addition, when I paid the bill in full, no mention of this carry over was made. I was told it was done, taken care of, balance was at $0. The entire reason there was a balance any way was there was not statement ever sent by MyCheckFree or Macy's from an August purchase. Macy's has switched billing companies and never notified some customers, myself included, so no original bill was ever sent.

Original review: April 8, 2016

All the major retailers, PayPal, Amazon, etc, etc, are able to transact a payment almost instantly, or at the most, within 48 hours. But when I signed up for automatic payments with my credit union to pay our mortgage, I learned that it takes up to 5 days for the payment to go from my credit union to the mortgage holder. This is absurd, if not egregious! It seems that CheckFree uses the gap to draw interest on pending payments. I think CheckFree is not operating in our best interests.

Original review: March 30, 2016

I am so very surprised to read about unpleasant services from CheckFree. I have used CheckFree since at least 2005 perhaps long and to date as of 03/29/16 I have not had even one bad experience with my payments. I have a total of 11 billers set up with this company and they have never missed a beat, including credit cards, utilities, my automobile etc. I have spoken with their customer service several times and they were excellent, I would pay my mortgage this way if I could. I am not saying things can't go astray, but typically there is a pretty good reason if they do.

I trust them (CheckFree) and they are an absolutely good service company. It assists me keeping my bills all in one place and organized and best of all it is free. I have gone to my creditors' site to pay bills and the payments hardly ever hit when I suspected the payment to hit and it was always a problem. However, with CheckFree my payment was processed when they said it was going to be and my creditors received the payment when CheckFree said they were going to receive the payment. I have never had to deal with tracking a payment or a misapplied payment, absolutely everything happens just as it was supposed to. I can only imagine what's going on with the other reviews. In addition, I have used their Popmoney services, cheap fee to send money to my family. Love that service as well. I am 100% pleased with the services from CheckFree.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I used this app for over a year to pay cable, gas, electric, so on. I don't know what happened but when the app did an update around the fall of 2015 something changed. It use to take the payment out of my account right away so I had no worries. Then all of the sudden it would take a few days unbeknownst to me. So I would transfer the money from my account the next day like I use to. Well now my electric locked all my payment options and I'm screwed. Uninstalled the app. Will never use again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I have MyCheckFree account for Macy's Bill Pay. Since I pay online through this account they don't send me hard copy statement. Since they don't send the statement to my physical address, I missed lots of payment due date. I pay all other credit card and utility bill online still they send me the statement every month. I never had any late fee for any of my other cards. But MyCheckFree does not allow have the hard copy of my statement. I don't have any idea why Macy's has such as bad customer service for bill payment.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I have been paying my energy bill through MyCheckFree for a few years. I have a very simple name and the customer service specialist (in India, of course) got it wrong EIGHT times in a row! I finally asked to be transferred to a manager.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

I had been using MyCheckFree to pay my Comcast bill for several years. On several occasions I would set up payment on a scheduled date and the payment would not go through and it would be considered late. The final straw was when a fraudulent charge for $180 dollar was made to Comcast. I put a stop payment on it through my bank. My bank resolved the issue crediting me the money (since it came out of my account) and called it a fraudulent payment. I thought the issue was resolved until I received a letter from a debt collector company stating that I owe MyCheckFree $180 since they made the payment to Comcast for me. That sounded suspicious considering THE PAYMENT COMES DIRECTLY OUT OF MY CHECKING.

I have spoken with this alleged Debt Collector several times (they are rude, ruthless and go to great lengths to convince you that it is your responsibility to pay) and each time I have stated that I don't think that this is accurate and even went as far as to have my bank representative on the phone. I am still getting harassed by these people but I have covered all the particulars with my bank and Comcast. These people will not get my information as it appears to be a scam to extort money. Please be careful. This website may be compromised or they are selling customer information to viral thugs. Word to the wise - use your bank to pay your bills. Stay away from MyCheckFree.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

I received HORRIBLE customer service from this company after a payment was taken from my checking account to be sent to a bank that does not even have an open account for me. In short, I had a vehicle loan that was paid off in full by a bank. This third party online payment system was my only option at the time the loan was created. I am now waiting 2+ weeks to receive a refund for a payment that was wrongfully taken out of my checking account by this company. In addition to that, I have contacted customer service and been on hold for 30+ minutes.

I spoke with the bank that had the loan, and my account there was closed. Therefore, due to a closed account, they will not even process or accept any payment sent to them on my behalf. MyCheckFree.com is telling me that it's my fault and that if I had a loan for (example) 8 years but the loan was paid off in 4, they would still continue taking the monthly payments out of my checking account. I'm CONFUSED, annoyed, and cannot understand why companies continue to employ customer service representatives who have such a huge language barrier with those who contact them.

Original review: June 17, 2015

I have used this company for about 8 years and have had great service. I was surprised to see there was a complaint due to the fact they have been on time with all of my payments. I appreciate the ease of their site to navigate through and ease of tracking payment history.

Original review: June 17, 2015

After sending MyCheckFree all the necessary information (including paper copy of bills with my present address on the bills sent to them for verification of identity with my address, etc) to get my account activated with them, I thought that everything was a 'go' with using their service through my bank website. But every time I 'thought' I had successfully made a payment it did not go through, and then I ended up with late fees from ComEd through which I've been using MyCheckFree. I spent hours out of my workday trying to rectify the situation with MyCheckFree (ComEd was of no help, since the two are separate businesses from each other), which I 'thought' was finally rectified weeks after I 'thought' the account was initially finally established (which was its own weeklong hassle in and of itself).

After months of bills not going through, having late fees, and winding up with (paper!!!) notices in the mail from the electric company about late payments and additional fees, I had to pay my bills over the phone directly to ComEd (which has fees attached to that payment method, as well). I found that NONE of my payments EVER went through MyCheckFree successfully, when I thought at least 'one' of them did. The final time last week trying to use MyCheckFree and taking extra care to verify if the payment gets established through their service, it doesn't go through after two further attempts, so I try a fourth time, after which I get a message from MyCheckFree telling me to send further paper bill documents with my present address on them in order to verify that it is 'me' trying to pay the bill (WHY would they do this again?? - WHO would be wanting to illegally 'pay' my bill for me??).

So that gets me wondering about what is going on with this business. I don't think customers who have genuinely tried to use this service should have to pay the late fees (or the fees attached to having to pay the bill over the phone with the electric company or other companies) that incur because of the service not working correctly.

Original review: June 14, 2015

This company is pure ** and a scam. I tried paying an electric bill online and was told that in order to create the online account to pay the bill I needed to provide my birthdate, my address, phone number, and social security number among other things. Then I was told that my identity could not be verified and I needed to call the customer service number.

When I called the number and actually spoke to a person, she was clearly from India and was extremely hard to understand. When I asked her to speak a little clearer for me because I was having trouble hearing what she was saying, she all of the sudden spoke with an American accent. She told me that in order to verify my identity I needed to mail them a copy of my id (license or passport), a blank check, and all my information written down. When I told her I refused to do that she tried backing out of it and saying that I should trying making a payment again then. I told her I no longer wanted to use this service to pay my electric bill online and that I wanted her to cancel my account. She did at least do that immediately but everything else involving this company is a total scam. Do not use them.

Original review: May 16, 2015

I have used this service only 2 times with a bill I have, but only because it was the only "pay online" option that the lender gave me at the time. I was skeptical, giving my social definitely wasn't what I wanted to do, but I did copy the privacy/bilaws just to be sure. It's very confusing to use. This week I have had to call back and forth with my lender because my bills were no longer showing up in the CheckFree website. They confirmed their application of them and that the bills were showing up on their end, but CheckFree didn't have an explanation except "wait for it". Meanwhile the bill is already 3 days past the due date (which I absolutely despise). Of course, all is worked out and no harm done, but it's just does not seem like a reliable or surefire alternative to keep track of your bills... Thankfully I'm very organized or this could have easily gotten missed and hurt my credit. Thankfully I can now pay through my checking account directly to them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

So I got sent to MyCheckFree.com by Sam's Club to pay my first bill with them. I registered, received the Sam's Club bill, and my only option is to pay by checking account. Fine. Then, after getting all my banking information entered, they say they need my SSN so they can report to the credit "agency" they deal with. I assume they are talking about Equifax etc but it's not clear. If I leave SSN blank, I get a message saying it's required. Only other option is to Cancel, which I did, so I can't pay. I tried a chat with the service rep, but no luck there. If you don't want to give out your SSN, don't use this service. Especially when they don't explain why they need it. The CSR just said we need it to verify your identity. I thought that was illegal.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I have used CheckFree for well over a decade without a single issue. I have never been charged a fee of any kind, nor received correspondence from them. FYI, CheckFree USED to accept CitiCard and CitiBank payments, but several years ago CitiCard (NOT CheckFree) chose to stop allowing CheckFree to process their payments, and I was forced to revert to paying bills directly through CitiBank's website. Several other credit cards will only allow electronic access to bill payment through one, and only one portal, meaning you can either choose to access your bank/credit card online directly, or choose to have CheckFree process payment, but NOT both.

These decisions are on the part of the banks, not CheckFree, whether to allow CheckFree to process the payment. I suspect that several posters that complain of bills from CheckFree are either getting spam mail, or they bounced payments in some fashion. CheckFree has been perhaps the most hassle free online service I have ever had. I hope they stay around forever.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

Mycheckfree sent me a letter stating I owed them $15.00, and that if I didn't pay it, they would send me to collections. I had to pay a "convenience fee" of sorts in order to handle. Upon review I was reimbursed my $15.00, but not the processing fee.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I am quite shocked with all the negative comments on MyCheckFree. I have used their service for well over 10 years without even the slightest issues. I normally schedule my payments for the due date and do this well in advance. I am pleased to say, that not once has a payment ever been received late or for the wrong amount. As you can imagine, over the course of 10+ years I have moved, changed bank accounts and billers, and never have had any issues updating my personal or biller info. Over the course of the years, I have had to cancel and even revise payment amounts, all without issue. The process is simple, the website is user friendly and I love the convenience of one-stop bill pay. I receive an emails when they received a bill and payment reminders too. I just wish that MyCheckFree had a more robust list of available bills... or at least a way to make a suggestion to add them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Never had a problem until last month they said they paid my cable bill but they never did. They said to stop payment on their check which cost me 25.00 and a late fee of 9.50. Done with this company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

I have used this service since 2000. I've never had a problem. In fact, I'm with the guy from Philly. If I have a bill that's not on Check Free, I try to get rid of that Vendor, and find someone else.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2014

I have contacted Mycheckfree for the issue related to MISCELLANEOUS A fee. Each time, they gave me a different explanation. Obviously, they are lying and they never solve the problem for me. I would never use the service from Mycheckfree.

MyCheckFree.com Company Information