2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Columbia, MO

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.59/5

MBS Direct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MBS Direct?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MBS Direct?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

The version of the book my professor posted vs. what was in our class resources is different. I ended up purchasing a book with the correct year, but wrong title & content, definitely my early morning mistake, especially being that both books are by the same authors and same cover on MBS Direct. I found out about 5 minutes after sitting down to search through the information. I searched the case name, no results. I realized then that it was the incorrect book. I called immediately to check for refunds or exchanges, with offer to pay price differences for the correct book. I was told that if I had not downloaded the book to my computer, then I would be able to return.

I have typically used their app for most of my books to make sure I was purchasing what my classes required. Out of habit, I open the books in the app because it looks better than the browser version. I was under the assumption that clicking the link IS downloading/opening the book. I was also told by the rep that I could not be refunded due to already downloading onto my computer. I am also unable to exchange it for the correct book and pay the difference. So, I would have to spend the money and buy the correct book, therefore spending nearly $100 instead of $58 (the book I purchased was $41). The book I purchased is also a free PDF available to the public.

MBS is making money off of a book other professors provide free links for. Ridiculous. Unfortunately, I can't get my money back and will have to still purchase the book I need, which is still incorrect (2013) compared to the one the professor post in our resources (2014). Our university uses MBS direct. The book prices are not competitive and are usually more expensive than other places. The refund/return policy is horrible and the customer service reps and managers are not useful. I understand the idea that ebook can be copied and resold, but what in the world, I'm having a hard time believing that there are no ways to refund or return books that were incorrectly purchased. Like, adding some type of tag onto the book making it blank or something....especially when it is opened in the Vital Source app. Nonetheless, if you're okay with the prices and have no issues whatsoever, MBS is like any other business.

Original review: May 13, 2020

After reading other reviews, I was reluctant to sell my books back through MBS Direct. However, my experience was positive. One book had a guaranteed buyback when I purchased it through them for the semester. I bought the other from another company, but was still able to sell it to MBS. I was able to track my books through UPS, so I knew when they arrived to MBS. Once they arrived, processing took a day or two, and I received my check within a week. MBS Direct did a fine job; I had no problems with them.

Get buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I purchased books for my first semester of college, rookie mistake. In a money-grabbing move, they listed my books as in stock but upon order they changed to out of stock back order. Books were late and I didn’t have them within 2 weeks of my class starting, making me have to borrow a book and barely pass an exam based on the material. Now, at the end of the semester, I sent my rental back 3 days before the deadline and they are saying it has been lost somewhere and have charged me the full price for it. Customer service has talked me round in circles and lied about the status of the order. I’m absolutely disgusted, especially considering the students making these purchases are BROKE. None of us can afford to just drop hundreds over someone else’s mistake. I hate this company and its greedy employees.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

A bookseller that's known for not shipping on time and sending the wrong orders (textbook charlie) would not respond to my emails. MBS Direct refused to talk to him for me. I got a bit beefy with him in my emails but said thank you at the end. They gave the third party seller my personal email, not my school email address. He tagged people I didn't know in my email. It said, 'So and so needs an attitude adjustment'. I told them to come adjust my attitude and the worker reported me to my college, got me suspended, and tried to mess up my criminal record over a book because the customer service persons feelings were hurt.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I ordered a college book for one of my online college classes. It said it would be arriving at my address within 5-7 business days. It did not. It started shipping to my school from which I am taking my classes from that is ONE HOUR away. On top of this, I tried calling and emailing to see if they could ship to the address I put down. They didn't answer my calls and then after my email, they said they would reply within 24 hours, 3 days later still no reply and I have no idea where my 150 dollar book is.

Original review: July 18, 2019

We are forced to use this company to purchase text books for our children's school. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! Basically you spend $500 - $600 for used text books, return them for a "guaranteed buyback" price and receive a check back for 1/10th what you paid. No explanation why you received a third of the price that was quoted. When I called “customer service” to inquire why, they gave me an excuse about the order not being 100% “checked in” – which was a bold faced lie as I hadn’t even provided the quoted reference number yet. Once I did provide the number I was put on hold for 5 minutes and then was told that some of the books they received were marked “damaged” – which is code for “we are not going to pay you for these books, but we WILL resell them to other suckers like you"... Avoid this racket at ALL costs! They are nothing but rip-off artists and cons. From now on I will purchase from a different source.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I Don't think this is a legit business. And they don't have software they claim. I ordered and paid for an instant download 2 weeks ago and can get a hold of anyone since. Taking action thru PayPal but that takes time. They took my money and ran!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Decided to get a buyback on a book I bought from an online seller which was either Chegg or Amazon, now they are saying it may be counterfeited. How am I suppose to know? All I wanted was to earn some money back that I spent. Also, I bought from a reliable resource. It's not MY fault, because I did not KNOW. I'm never doing business with them ever again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

They ship too slow and that affects school start. They charge too much for used books and buy back too low. Most of my books did not offer buyback. They partner with my high school but not all of my books were available from MBS and so were not listed in the book list they generated after I entered our class list. I missed buying required books because I trusted them. Finally, when I provided feedback about slow shopping, customer service response was "We’re better than Amazon and other quick shippers because we’re Integrated with your school. Deal with the delay." We’ll, I’m out of MBS in the future unless I have no choice.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have never written a review online but this experience has been by far the worst customer service I have ever received. Horrible policies. Horrible service. Horrible company. Schools would be well-served to find someone else and not put their parents through the hassle of dealing with this crappy business.

MBS Direct author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1992, MBS Direct partners with colleges and universities to offer an online campus bookstore specific to each school. The online bookstores carry course materials, merchandise and apparel.

• Customized selection: Because it partners directly with colleges and universities, MBS Direct works like traditional brick-and-mortar campus bookstores, allowing students to search for required books by course number. Students can easily see which books are required and which are optional so they can plan accordingly.

• eBook downloads: MBS Direct specializes in course packets and other materials available as digital downloads. When you rent or purchase an eBook, you receive a download code immediately and don’t have to wait for your book to ship.

• Student savings: MBS Direct is committed to offering rentals at a fraction of retail price. You can always compare the rental price to retail to see if renting is the best option.

• Options: Most MBS Direct bookstores offer not only rentals but also the option to buy new or used. If you decide to buy, you can always sell the book back later. Some bookstores also offer a marketplace option where you can buy from your peers or sell your own used textbooks.

• Other campus gear: Because MBS Direct partners with your school, you can also buy campus gear like spirit wear, accessories, gifts and more. These ship directly to your dormitory or home with the rest of your order.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team