2. Miscellaneous

Online Self Publishing Book Company

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Lulu.com Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have purchased a book at www.lulu.com using my credit card, surely I received nothing. No confirmation email, no reply from support. They just selective scammers without any address whatsoever. I'm calling my bank to reverse that transaction and change the credit card itself. Do not buy anything from them if you don't want to be scammed. Order №**.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Customer complaint LULU.COM. Book Project **. Montreal, April 26th, 2019. I am truly shocked and dismayed that a company that claims to support the written word, authors and books could react in such an unscrupulous and underhanded way. Having finished writing my book in December 2018, I signed a service fee in order to get my book published with LULU.COM.

First, I received incessant and useless standard emails encouraging me to finish my book. These are impersonal emails that basically take your clients for fools. Finally, I was put in the hands of an agent, Chelsea ** who responded vaguely and sporadically to the advancement of my project. She asked me to reduce the song lyrics in my books to 7 lines which I did. I stopped getting answers from this person and I believe this person was discharged and my file was given to Nina **. This transition took a long time, but Nina was more cooperative. She asked me to send a legend of all the name changes which I did, in order to ensure no real names were used. She asked me to change two street names which I did. Finally, she said that the names I had changed were not sufficiently changed. One cannot change Jordan for Jason. I changed them again.

My book seemed to be finally underway and then I received a call from a certain Pamela. This woman said that I had exhausted my four trials, my book would not be published, I would only be refunded very partially and goodbye. I am truly shocked. I was sent from one department and person to another incessantly. No one ever stipulated I was running out of “chances”. I have been treated unfairly because my book was “handed around”. I left Sarah ** many messages, but she never answered. Dana **, did not answer my calls until I landed on her one day and told her it was rude not to return calls.

The whole team at Lulu does not take their work or the authors seriously. And now to be a victim of a SCAM is reprehensible. You are no longer publishing my book so you MUST refund me $896.30. Either that or publish the book that has been tailored to all your requests. Find below the amounts. It is really disheartening to know that your company preys on people who put their soul into writing in order to take their cash and then leave them void. No book and a dent in their Visa.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I asked for a refund of $1000 plus which I need my why would I give away this amount of money for not using the service and I received this email: "We recently received your request for cancellation and refund on the publishing package you purchased. We will promptly implement your request for cancellation. However, as per the terms of your agreement, we regret to inform you that your publishing package is ineligible for refund since it has been over 6 months, or 180 calendar days, from the time it was purchased. Your purchase date was December 7, 2017.

"A copy of the terms and agreement is attached for your reference. Should you change your mind and wish to continue your project, you must let us know immediately. We can then place the project on hold indefinitely, and we will complete your services upon submission of a completed manuscript. If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be glad to assist."

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I checked the status of my Lulu photo book order on the day it was expected to arrive. It said "in production". I sent Lulu Support a message asking for a status update. I did not hear back from them for four days, so I called. I was told that there was a problem with my file and that I would need to work with the printing team to correct it. This was four days AFTER my order was expected to arrive. I asked them to cancel the order. I have yet to receive verification of the cancelled order or refund.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have 5 books on Lulu that if Googled show up as used copies, on eBay, and on various other sites. Some sites have multiple copies. Recently, I sent a certified letter requesting a total accounting. I also reported them to the BBB & Lulu responded quickly with a letter that was literally packed with BS but never answered my questions. I started publishing with them when they were a startup but I think Amazon will get all my publishing needs from now on. That is unless they can give me a straight answer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lulu.com?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

NEVER PUBLISH WITH LULU, EVER AGAIN. Lulu delays author payments for months and then refuses to pay you ie. Lulu pockets all your revenues. The customer service does not help and keeps repeating whatever in its FAQ.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I ordered one copy of a hardcover book that my parents wrote. It arrived on time but with multiple errors inside. There is one page that is printed 9 times in a row. Yes, you read right. 9 times. There are other pages where two pages of text are on top of each other, and photos that are on top of text. I cannot get through to Lulu with the phone number that appears at the bottom of the shipping page, nor with any other means. I would like a call from Lulu to discuss this but no one will call me.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I tried ordering ONE copy of my own book that I was not using for profit, but merely to have one hard copy of my work. They emailed me saying I violated their terms and were suspending me, effective immediately. I sent an email back asking for clarification and even referenced their terms of agreement, but did not hear back. They cancelled my account so I cannot log in, and now they will not refund me for my purchase I made just to have my story printed and bound. These people are crooks and just stole my money with no delivered product in return.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I wouldn’t even give Lulu a 1/4 Star. They have sent out my books with other people’s stories inside my books. The cover is mine but they inserted pages from two other books. One sent out in the US and one sent out in the Philippines. Absolutely no quality systems in place. Horrible customer service. I called today to report this issue and got a voicemail saying they were all gone for training and to call back at a time when they are there. Again, do not use Lulu. Your work is too important to be ruined by this inept publishing company.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

This website is just a false advertisement ploy to get people to let them publish for them, (which is a fortune! ) because they make it nearly impossible to use their self-publishing software! It was nothing but problem after problem. It is way too complicated to do on your own or with their support team. Nothing even works, it's a headache to download the correct file, everything always turns out wrong. This is yet the worst experience I've had trying to do anything on the internet. I canceled my account and am looking for a legit company.

Lulu.com Company Information