2. Miscellaneous

Online Self Publishing Book Company

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.81/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Lulu.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lulu.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lulu.com?

Original review: April 25, 2020

I have my own publishing company and have published several authors of national prominence. I have used Lulu for about two years. My customers (numbering in the hundreds), my authors, and I myself have been very pleased with the quality of my books. I am very pleased with Lulu. They ask nothing upfront, allow orders of any size with no minimums, there are no hidden costs, and I receive a larger percentage of the price by far than I did when I published through larger conventional publishers.

Also, unlike conventional publishers, they never interfere in my design choices. In my experience Lulu has been a first-rate, completely professional company. When there have been problems with the printing, which is very rare, they have replaced the book immediately. As my business and livelihood depend completely on my ability to turn out books reliably, I would not have stuck with Lulu these past two years if they hadn't been completely honest, dependable and professional.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I was quite surprised to read so many one-star-reports. Sometimes I doubt their accuracy, because Lulu is a self-publishing service provider. That means I write my book, design the cover and upload everything. It doesn't cost me money, but time and experience. If there are typos in it, then I wrote them and I didn't notice them.

I have published several books on Lulu and I have bought two from other authors. The print quality is good. The process of publishing is intuitive. When you need help, the people at Lulu are friendly and helpful - but it takes time. Faster is the Lulu Author Forum http://lulu.boards.net. As a publisher, I could imagine a wider range of landscape formats.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I have published two books with Lulu. At first I did not know what I was doing so I had to give myself a crash-course in typesetting etc (I also provided my own artwork and editing). Lulu does provide some overviews but everything else was easily found online. If you're self-publishing you have to be somewhat savvy, no one anywhere is going to spell out all the steps and walk you through them.

I have had zero issues with receiving revenues from Lulu, in fact they have a fairly in depth stat page for revenues. It does take until the following month to properly update as they only follow sales on Lulu live, from outside channels (Amazon, iTunes, Kindle) take a few days after the first of the month to update. I have had a few print issues but when they were due to Lulu, Lulu fixed it immediately. Lulu gives you print-ready copies to look over prior to authorizing a print, and also requires you order and check a proof copy. For now, Lulu is the only self-publishing, print-on-demand site I'll use. (Also, I have paid Lulu absolutely nothing, aside from them taking their dues from sold books).

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Worst experience ever. I paid $1999 and my manuscript sat for over TWO months in "Step 1 - Content Evaluation," before some dude named Eugene ** called me and told me that he "didn't think my book was a good fit for Lulu Press" and basically told me to pound sand. WHAT??!! They wasted over TWO MONTHS of valuable time just to tell me they didn't want to work with me. Who does that? I ended up using Amazon KDP and getting the same job done in mere days (less than a week) while saving a lot of money. Lulu is an awful company. Run!

Original review: July 28, 2020

I went with Lulu publishing because I stupidly thought that the service promised was going to be the right one for the publication of my story, I picked out a package and received the paperwork, it was agreed that I could pay my package in installments, I paid two installments worth over £700 british pounds, I was told I had a check in councillor Liz **, I have tried to email Lulu ON ABOUT 8 OR 9 DIFFERENT OCCASIONS AND HAVE HAD NO RESPONSE whatsoever so now I want my money back.

Original review: July 18, 2020

Over the years, I have self-published numerous books through Lulu.com and have been totally delighted with the quality of their printing and binding and customer service. Everything has been excellent -- that is, until recently when the customer service has been non-existent. Recently, I had a problem which I reported using their online form (the only way to contact them now). The only reply I received was an automated impersonal reply. Several attempts to report the problem produced the same non-results. I don't like to complain but my experience with customer service has been negative. I should add that their printing and binding are still top-notch. I don't know what has happened at Lulu's customer service, and I hope they get things straightened out.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I have used Lulu for a couple of years with only minor complaints. But I recently tried to contact their support department and got zero response. Over the past month I have sent 5 requests. No response has been forthcoming. My next step is to find a new publisher.

Original review: June 18, 2020

LULU is a rip off and useless!!! I created my account with lulu.com over a year ago to sell my e-book. I spent money on google ad campaigns etc only to find that LULU had taken money out of my account. After querying this with them they gave me some rubbish about how they had changed their services but did not explain where the money had disappeared to. Stay well clear of this useless service. I have read many reports about money going missing from peoples accounts on forums but I never believed it until it happened to me. I will be going elsewhere and I suggest you do too!

Original review: April 17, 2020

Updated on 06/11/2020: I am reality author Cornelius Rogers of novel "The Land Of No Pity" In & Out the system based on a modern day slavery. I've submitted my revised novel to Sarah ** about a month ago for them to place my novel back on print. I believe the guy Jorge are withholding my novel from print and trying to insult my intelligence. This are how LuLu publishing treat their authors during the coronavirus epidemic. I'm requesting as a author for my novel to be place back on Lulu's publishing after I've paid them $2000 thru time to fix their publisher's errors. However, I can't contact LuLu publishing by phone. I'm requesting as my right as a United States of American for my novel to be place in print or my full refund of $2000. If worse comes to worse I'll sue LuLu Publishers for their possible fraudulent activity. I would file a lawsuit now but my book may mysteriously then go thru print. However, LuLu, Dates are very important! Thanks.

Original Review: I am reality author Cornelius Rogers. My book are "Land Of Nopity": In & Out The System based on a modern day slavery. I sealed with a guy named Logan ** and he promised me that my book will be edited and published for perfection. However, It was all a scam. My novel was published with all kinds of in corrections. The errors in my book are publishers errors that LULU.com Publishing refuse to edit it correctly. I am now asking for my refund. If not my lawyer will be contacting LULU.COM. I don't advise any author to go thru heartaches networking with a anti-Honest publishing company the same as LULU.COM. The guy Logan ** are a liar and manipulator. I will post the terrorable book printed by LULU.COM publishing after our lawsuit are over.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Lulu just deleted my account because of a book deemed it "offensive". This book was only accessible for purchase by myself and not publicly visible. I did not receive any warnings whatsoever nor given any chance to appeal or defend my right to print that book for private use. And no only am I not able to publish books with my account anymore, I can't buy any items from other people either. And I was not given any means of appeal. Now, THAT is something I consider truly offensive & disrespectful...

Lulu.com Company Information