1.79/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Online Self Publishing Book Company

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Lulu.com Reviews

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I signed up to get my book published through the advanced program with Lulu.com. I paid $2000 to have them help me to publish my book. They wasted two months of my time in a "review" process. They kept rejecting my manuscript and refusing to publish my book for what they termed as libel issues. They wanted me to present a letter from my grandfather saying that he was OK with me writing that he threw me into the sea when I was a little girl. I explained to Lulu reviewers that he is dead - so it is not an issue. Additionally, they wanted me to get a similar letter from my father because I was beaten as a child.

Once again, I explained that corporal punishment is legal where I grew up so- there is no issue. After two months of going back and forth with the "review" process, they said they could not publish my book and canceled the contract. They then refused to refund my complete investment. I believe they intentionally create hurdles that people can not clear in order to have an excuse not to publish works and withhold people's money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I've had a terrible experience working to get my book published by Lulu publishing. My book is 100% legal, no copyright issues, no **, no threats against anyone living. The subject is controversial, writings and speeches of a mid 20th century European leader. I explained the subject and content of the book to the Lulu sales rep Danny, he assured me there would be no problems printing and marketing my book. So I paid $899. Then various women in manuscript division told me they didn't like the subject and content of the book and my manuscript was rejected. I exchanged phone and e-mail messages with various Lulu representatives including the original sales rep Danny and expressed disappointment and asked for a full refund. A full month passed and I hadn't received the refund.

After lots of more back and forth e-mails and phone messages I was assured of a refund, which I finally received. It was for... $499! That's $400 Lulu kept. I've been bugging Lulu every day since then and only received one voice mail from accounting saying that they would explain why they kept $400. I haven't got through. So it seems rather obvious that certain people at Lulu didn't like the subject and content of a perfectly legal manuscript so they stole $400 of my $. I guess the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to Lulu and they can and do steal customer's $ if certain people at Lulu don't like the manuscript - that's pathetic.

John **

Chicago, IL

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have purchased a book at www.lulu.com using my credit card, surely I received nothing. No confirmation email, no reply from support. They just selective scammers without any address whatsoever. I'm calling my bank to reverse that transaction and change the credit card itself. Do not buy anything from them if you don't want to be scammed. Order №**.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have three books published on LULU and have nothing, but good to say. All the books look fantastic and I have always been paid all revenues. I am super happy with LULU, found the site easy to use and publish on. Super thankful for such an easy way to self publish.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I wanted to create a "my story" hard-covered account of my first forty years, I have no experience or training whatsoever with desktop publishing. I found the Lulu website informative enough to complete my work with terrific results. Understanding the formatting was challenging however all information was available for FREE.... My overall opinion if you need professional services to produce work then hire an outside professional desktop person to perform your work. The printing was flawless and arrived on time...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lulu.com?

Original review: April 26, 2019

Customer complaint LULU.COM. Book Project **. Montreal, April 26th, 2019. I am truly shocked and dismayed that a company that claims to support the written word, authors and books could react in such an unscrupulous and underhanded way. Having finished writing my book in December 2018, I signed a service fee in order to get my book published with LULU.COM.

First, I received incessant and useless standard emails encouraging me to finish my book. These are impersonal emails that basically take your clients for fools. Finally, I was put in the hands of an agent, Chelsea ** who responded vaguely and sporadically to the advancement of my project. She asked me to reduce the song lyrics in my books to 7 lines which I did. I stopped getting answers from this person and I believe this person was discharged and my file was given to Nina **. This transition took a long time, but Nina was more cooperative. She asked me to send a legend of all the name changes which I did, in order to ensure no real names were used. She asked me to change two street names which I did. Finally, she said that the names I had changed were not sufficiently changed. One cannot change Jordan for Jason. I changed them again.

My book seemed to be finally underway and then I received a call from a certain Pamela. This woman said that I had exhausted my four trials, my book would not be published, I would only be refunded very partially and goodbye. I am truly shocked. I was sent from one department and person to another incessantly. No one ever stipulated I was running out of “chances”. I have been treated unfairly because my book was “handed around”. I left Sarah ** many messages, but she never answered. Dana **, did not answer my calls until I landed on her one day and told her it was rude not to return calls.

The whole team at Lulu does not take their work or the authors seriously. And now to be a victim of a SCAM is reprehensible. You are no longer publishing my book so you MUST refund me $896.30. Either that or publish the book that has been tailored to all your requests. Find below the amounts. It is really disheartening to know that your company preys on people who put their soul into writing in order to take their cash and then leave them void. No book and a dent in their Visa.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I asked for a refund of $1000 plus which I need my why would I give away this amount of money for not using the service and I received this email: "We recently received your request for cancellation and refund on the publishing package you purchased. We will promptly implement your request for cancellation. However, as per the terms of your agreement, we regret to inform you that your publishing package is ineligible for refund since it has been over 6 months, or 180 calendar days, from the time it was purchased. Your purchase date was December 7, 2017.

"A copy of the terms and agreement is attached for your reference. Should you change your mind and wish to continue your project, you must let us know immediately. We can then place the project on hold indefinitely, and we will complete your services upon submission of a completed manuscript. If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be glad to assist."

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I checked the status of my Lulu photo book order on the day it was expected to arrive. It said "in production". I sent Lulu Support a message asking for a status update. I did not hear back from them for four days, so I called. I was told that there was a problem with my file and that I would need to work with the printing team to correct it. This was four days AFTER my order was expected to arrive. I asked them to cancel the order. I have yet to receive verification of the cancelled order or refund.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have 5 books on Lulu that if Googled show up as used copies, on eBay, and on various other sites. Some sites have multiple copies. Recently, I sent a certified letter requesting a total accounting. I also reported them to the BBB & Lulu responded quickly with a letter that was literally packed with BS but never answered my questions. I started publishing with them when they were a startup but I think Amazon will get all my publishing needs from now on. That is unless they can give me a straight answer.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

NEVER PUBLISH WITH LULU, EVER AGAIN. Lulu delays author payments for months and then refuses to pay you ie. Lulu pockets all your revenues. The customer service does not help and keeps repeating whatever in its FAQ.

Lulu.com Company Information