2. Miscellaneous

Online Self Publishing Book Company

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Lulu.com Reviews

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I was quite surprised to read so many one-star-reports. Sometimes I doubt their accuracy, because Lulu is a self-publishing service provider. That means I write my book, design the cover and upload everything. It doesn't cost me money, but time and experience. If there are typos in it, then I wrote them and I didn't notice them.

I have published several books on Lulu and I have bought two from other authors. The print quality is good. The process of publishing is intuitive. When you need help, the people at Lulu are friendly and helpful - but it takes time. Faster is the Lulu Author Forum http://lulu.boards.net. As a publisher, I could imagine a wider range of landscape formats.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I have published two books with Lulu. At first I did not know what I was doing so I had to give myself a crash-course in typesetting etc (I also provided my own artwork and editing). Lulu does provide some overviews but everything else was easily found online. If you're self-publishing you have to be somewhat savvy, no one anywhere is going to spell out all the steps and walk you through them.

I have had zero issues with receiving revenues from Lulu, in fact they have a fairly in depth stat page for revenues. It does take until the following month to properly update as they only follow sales on Lulu live, from outside channels (Amazon, iTunes, Kindle) take a few days after the first of the month to update. I have had a few print issues but when they were due to Lulu, Lulu fixed it immediately. Lulu gives you print-ready copies to look over prior to authorizing a print, and also requires you order and check a proof copy. For now, Lulu is the only self-publishing, print-on-demand site I'll use. (Also, I have paid Lulu absolutely nothing, aside from them taking their dues from sold books).

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have three books published on LULU and have nothing, but good to say. All the books look fantastic and I have always been paid all revenues. I am super happy with LULU, found the site easy to use and publish on. Super thankful for such an easy way to self publish.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I wanted to create a "my story" hard-covered account of my first forty years, I have no experience or training whatsoever with desktop publishing. I found the Lulu website informative enough to complete my work with terrific results. Understanding the formatting was challenging however all information was available for FREE.... My overall opinion if you need professional services to produce work then hire an outside professional desktop person to perform your work. The printing was flawless and arrived on time...

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Lulu just deleted my account because of a book deemed it "offensive". This book was only accessible for purchase by myself and not publicly visible. I did not receive any warnings whatsoever nor given any chance to appeal or defend my right to print that book for private use. And no only am I not able to publish books with my account anymore, I can't buy any items from other people either. And I was not given any means of appeal. Now, THAT is something I consider truly offensive & disrespectful...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lulu.com?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

"Lulu press" (Online Self Publishing Book Company) is a terrible company. They force writers to pay for the book by promising to publish it. When I paid, they refused to fulfill their promises, and asked me to pay again for the same book. They lie and cheat the writers to make only their own income. Also, they did not give me the discount 0.50 for the book they promised. Then, they did not return the phone calls and my emails. Then, they suspended my account, and I cannot get my documents back.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I've had an awful experience working to get my book published by LULU publishing and never again. I had to wait over 2 months for a "review" process and I kept calling them, they were nowhere to be found. Finally, someone else took over my case and paid for a service that I didn't get. Even though, I was told by Kevin that they had proofread my work which they didn't. My book came out with a lot of errors on it and they refused to get it fix unless I pay additional money on top of what I paid for and not even get the service that I needed in the first place. They are not professionals at all. I would not recommend anyone else to get their services. Now, they have me on hold for a phone call from an editor, which seems to be a game to them because it seems like they are running away.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I ordered two of the same manuals in error and after contacting them I was told that there were no returns or exchanges. They did offer an insulting discount for the product that I wanted. DISAPPOINTED is an understatement. I will not do business here in the future.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I signed up to get my book published through the advanced program with Lulu.com. I paid $2000 to have them help me to publish my book. They wasted two months of my time in a "review" process. They kept rejecting my manuscript and refusing to publish my book for what they termed as libel issues. They wanted me to present a letter from my grandfather saying that he was OK with me writing that he threw me into the sea when I was a little girl. I explained to Lulu reviewers that he is dead - so it is not an issue. Additionally, they wanted me to get a similar letter from my father because I was beaten as a child.

Once again, I explained that corporal punishment is legal where I grew up so- there is no issue. After two months of going back and forth with the "review" process, they said they could not publish my book and canceled the contract. They then refused to refund my complete investment. I believe they intentionally create hurdles that people can not clear in order to have an excuse not to publish works and withhold people's money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I've had a terrible experience working to get my book published by Lulu publishing. My book is 100% legal, no copyright issues, no **, no threats against anyone living. The subject is controversial, writings and speeches of a mid 20th century European leader. I explained the subject and content of the book to the Lulu sales rep Danny, he assured me there would be no problems printing and marketing my book. So I paid $899. Then various women in manuscript division told me they didn't like the subject and content of the book and my manuscript was rejected. I exchanged phone and e-mail messages with various Lulu representatives including the original sales rep Danny and expressed disappointment and asked for a full refund. A full month passed and I hadn't received the refund.

After lots of more back and forth e-mails and phone messages I was assured of a refund, which I finally received. It was for... $499! That's $400 Lulu kept. I've been bugging Lulu every day since then and only received one voice mail from accounting saying that they would explain why they kept $400. I haven't got through. So it seems rather obvious that certain people at Lulu didn't like the subject and content of a perfectly legal manuscript so they stole $400 of my $. I guess the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to Lulu and they can and do steal customer's $ if certain people at Lulu don't like the manuscript - that's pathetic.

John **