2. Shopping
  3. Beauty Box

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

ipsy Reviews

Original review: May 23, 2020

I’ve been a customer for a couple years. Their lowest price box is what I receive for $12 a month. They have you to take their online beauty quiz to find out what you like or don’t like which you can change frequency of what you receive at any time whether it’s something in the skincare or makeup or hair care. You get deluxe sized samples and you can pick one of your products. You always get a cute makeup bag. They have cheap add one new each day at 9am and lower priced full sized products or makeup products from other months in the past. Through this I’ve learned a lot about products and have tried new things. They have videos. You earn reward points to use for free products. I received my first one. 600 points. I chose a lip gloss for my daughter. Customer service is on their job. I have received a few free products. It’s fun and my favorite product is the primer by Tarte.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Ipsy is great for those on a make up budget. You really get a lot of bang for your buck. Honestly I've had ipsy for almost 6 years and haven't been disappointed. However there were some ups and downs but overall customer service fixed the issued. And don't worry if you're missing an item or something got damaged or your bag never came. They always replace it. I've built my make up brush creation from ipsy. And the fun part is it's totally customizable. You don't get to pick your items but for me I love mascaras and bronzers and translucent powders and I mainly get those. Just my preference. But you won't be disappointed.

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2020

This monthly delivery provides an easy and convenient way to receive and try new products at an extremely affordable price. There is even an option to receive each box with less frequency should one need a break. Each month I receive a cute makeup bag, along with 4 or 5 other items that are personalized through their website, changes can be made should you chose to receive different color, etc. The box has different assortments ranging from facial wash to mascara and even hair products. This is a great little treat for oneself. You won't be disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I have been A ipsy subscriber for over 3 years now and I don't foresee myself canceling anytime soon. What I particularly love is that they actually pay attention to your beauty quiz and product reviews so that each bag you get is more tailored to your preferences. After 3 years, I can honestly say that every bag I receive is a pure pleasure. When Ipsy came out with the Glam Bag Plus, I wanted to take part so badly but there was a lengthy waiting list. After the 2nd month, I decided to email Ipsy directly and request an upgrade to my subscription. Customer Service was amazing, and the next month I received my first Glam Bag Plus.

I used to convert my Boxycharm but now it's Ipsy I can't wait for every month. I get 5 full size products. They are always high quality and relevant brands. I love the fact they always include at least one quality skincare product in my box and to top things off, starting next month, we will be receiving actual makeup bags just like with the $10 glam bag sub ABC glam Bag Plus members will be able to actually choose 1 of their 5 products each month! They just get better and better. You get amazing products and great customer service.

Original review: May 30, 2019

First, I have, or have had, 8 beauty subscriptions. I have now cancelled all but 3 (and one is paid for the year). I have FabFitFun (yearly), Boxycharm, and Ipsy Glam bag and Glam bag plus (I only counted ipsy as 1 sub). I have NEVER had an issue with ipsy as a company. If anything, I was extremely interested in the Glam Bag Plus upgrade but it was still during the time you had to wait for an invitation to upgrade. I was impatient, so I decided to reach out to ipsy on twitter. They responded within a day or so - took my info - and then within another couple days I had an email in my inbox with the invitation to upgrade. This was after about 6 months receiving the reg bags. Since then, I have received both the $10 and the $25 every month (about 6 months more).

I get charged on the first of every month, log on to the app on the 2nd of the month to see what I am getting and have access to the add-ons (I try to get on the app right when they go live so nothing is sold-out), and usually I receive my Glam Bag Plus first around the 9-15th and the reg bag a little later around the 15-20th of each month. There has only been one month ever that the bag took a while to ship (February I believe), but there were issues that delayed shipments and they emailed to let us know. I received that bag the last week of the month.

The only reason I deducted a star was due to the fact that I believe they can use the information from customer profiles a little better. I often receive products and colors that are not conducive to my profile info. Though it can be very frustrating, especially when you know they have products you would like so much better, it is a subscription and not a store. People have to realize the whole point of these services is to pay money for a sampling of products. You sacrifice choice for price. Sometimes you get exactly what you want, sometimes you end up with some gifts to give away. If you don't like the assortment, you can cancel your sub and head on down to Ulta or whatever and pay full price for the items you want. Choice for price. I believe the products I have loved far outweigh those I have given away - usually even one product that I like is equivalent to the cost of the box and more (in the Plus version).

The shipping issues I cannot speak on, I have not had any (and I really hope that does not change!). I will continue to enjoy the subscription and sample products I would have not otherwise purchased! Subscription services are not equipped to deal with issues like allergies, it defeats the point of subscriptions to be able to customize the individual orders. If you have strict restrictions, perhaps just buying the products outright is a better option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: May 28, 2020

I ordered a glam bag pictured one way, received it in 21 days and it did not come as pictured. Was damaged. I emailed Ipsy support and they said that they could not replace as they were out of product and they could only refund me $2.00 on my $15.00 bag. Emailed back to say that was not acceptable to me and they would not respond further. I have been a customer and have ordered all 3 glam bags monthly for some time, plus always buy the special offers and this is how they treat their customers. I cancelled all of my subscriptions with them and will be looking for another that treat their customers better. This was not the first time I had a damaged product... But this is the LAST!! They need to get it together.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I had IPSY for two years and for the first year I really enjoyed it. You usually get one or two full size products the rest or sample sizes. I found you that you usually got your money's worth. The customer service was great. The issue I had is that when you join you do a questionnaire about what you are interested in as well as your skin color and hair color. In the two years I was an IPSY customer I don't think I ever got a bag that was curated for me. I found I was giving away more than I kept. I think if you are adventurous and are interested in indie brands of make up, skin care and hair you might enjoy IPSY for awhile.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I like the makeup I receive usually but the colors seem odd like Ipsy may be buying colors that didn’t sell. Selling a million lipsticks that didn’t go over well to Ipsy would be a good deal for everyone.. except the Ipsy customer.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I loved Ipsy bags when I was receiving them! They are all excellent products I would not have access to otherwise, as I’m in rural America. Plus, their referral program is stellar - friends, as well as you, Get bonus bags and other perks for referring a new customer. Comes every month, right on time, with the cutest bags.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I absolutely love Ipsy. I wasn't crazy about the regular Glam Bag because the samples were just too small and I'd rather have full sized products I can rotate through. The Plus is AMAZING. I look forward to every single shipment and I use every product. Their customer service is stellar as well. I had a package disappear and they got me a replacement out painlessly. I recommend it to all my girl friends!

ipsy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team