1.46/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

61 ipsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I've been a subscriber of ipsy for several years now, and have always enjoyed the sampler bags that they send. They've exposed me to new brands, new products, and supplied me with more than enough makeup, for just $10/month. However, I recently decided to end my subscription, because I've been taking a break from the makeup world and embracing natural beauty. When I went to end my subscription, there was no obvious way to do that on their website. I eventually found it, after clicking through pages and pages, but it seemed like the only option was to "pause" my membership, for 1, 2, or 3 months, after which, it would resume as normal.

In fine print below those buttons, there was a "cancel my membership" button, but I'm not kidding when I say it was small, and not apparent unless you were really looking. I eventually got through all of the steps to end the subscription, but to my surprise, two months later I received another glam bag! And was charged for one! Apparently, somewhere along the cancellation process, there was a button that changed my action to pausing the subscription, rather than cancelling it. And in following the flow of pages asking you to end a subscription, I clicked on the obvious ones, which was my error.

So today, back on the website trying to cancel the membership again, I found that a person has to find the fine print on page after page that offers pausing instead, continuing to keep the membership, basically any option besides cancelling it, unless you're looking very carefully for the cancel button. This is such a sneaky practice, and I'm furious that I was tricked into getting billed for another month. I can't support a business that has you jump through hoops in order to end your service with them, and it's such a shame because I truly did like their products for the most part.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Do not buy this bag. It is a scam! I am still waiting for my bag for over a month, I call USPS and they say they didn't even receive a package to ship from them. I should have read reviews before I committed to this. Now I have to see if they will refund me, which it's already impossible to get straight answers from them. They always reply in a roundabout way. I am very very disappointed, I am telling you do not subscribe to this company. It truly is a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Been a customer for over 5 years. Bag was fine - it was something fun to do with my sister. I had an issue with a bag that I never received. I reached out to the company via email (be aware they have no telephone number for customer service which is unbelievable) and they told me I would get a tracking # for a replacement. Never got it. Followed up again and was told the tracking number was on its way. Never got it. Followed up for the next 3 weeks via email and Twitter and no one ever responded. Because they have no phone option for customer service it falls on you to just keep emailing, tweeting or DM’ing. It was so awful I canceled my account over it. Too many beauty box subscriptions with better brands and customer service. Choose something else and save yourself the aggravation.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I was told about the great products you get every month. I subscribed and started getting crap so I cancelled my subscription. Since then I have been getting charged the monthly and not received anything. I reached out and they told me that I was put on hold for a month and that it automatically renewed the following month. I wanted a refund and they told me that wasn't possible. So I made sure I cancelled. Even have a screenshot of confirmation. Guess what...I am still getting charged. This company is a bunch of crooks. I have a lawyer working on it and want to warn others that this company is trash.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had an Ipsy account for over a year. The products tended to get cheaper and cheaper over the course of the year. I also got charged for 2 months and never received my glam bag. I have contacted them on three separate occasions, still have not heard anything. Needless to say, I cancelled my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been a subscriber for over a year. The products you get are cheap and not worth the money. When I first started I would get unusual brands. Now it’s cheap smelling perfumes and stuff you can get anywhere (for less money!) Wish I could give 1/2 a star. They don’t care if you have allergies either. You just get what they throw in there. And the make up bags look cheap. You find them all over value village.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I signed up 1/1/2019 and $10 was taken from my account. I checked my app every day excited to see what would be in my bag, but nothing changed and it kept telling me to check back 1/2/2019. Fast forward to today, 1/8/2019, and it's now saying that I will not receive a January bag because either my payment could not be processed, my account is on pause, I'm on an every-other-month plan or I signed up after bags were assembled. I checked my account and it is not on pause and it was, in fact, a monthly subscription. I checked my bank account and the $10 was taken. According to FAQs glam bags are made in the middle of the month, so I didn't miss the bag assembly date. It's still unknown to me why I'm not receiving the bag I paid for.

I've emailed Ipsy regarding this (their only form of communication, btw), but based on other people's experiences on here I'm not sure when or if I will be hearing back. I originally emailed intending to get my bag, now I'm contacting them intending on getting a refund for the $10 they took without providing their services. It just sucks because I've been wanting to sign up for some kind of makeup box for years, and finally this year, after rarely treating myself to stuff like this, I decided to take the plunge on ipsy and they screwed me over the very first month. I certainly will not recommend this service to any of my friends and am extremely disappointed that this is my first and only experience with a subscription box. Needless to say, I won't be making this mistake again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I had never heard about these products until I logged into my bank account & saw a charge of $10.83 from Ipsy. So I tried reaching customer service to ask the reason for the charge & no luck with that. I did try reaching out to them via email support@ipsy.com which I did get a response but they asked me for my Paypal Acct, a screenshot of my bank account charge etc. I went ahead & provided that information. Oh this was for the month of Dec & it’s Jan & I still haven’t gotten a resolution to this! So they charged me again for this Jan month so I had to contact my bank directly & had to cancel my bank card!!!! It would have been nice if I at least got the product so I can physically see if this was even worth getting charged for!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have no complaints about price, communication with customer service, etc... They are very responsive. However I don’t see why they can’t divide their bags for 2 types of clients 1. Glam, goth, hooker. And 2. Neutrals. That’s only 2!! They have you fill out a profile which is an apparently useless joke to them! I checked all neutral colors. I fill out product reviews for everything! I have gotten Joan Jett Eye Black Eyeliner in 3 of my 4 bags so far, red or hot pink lip gloss and one of the few times I get a brand like MAC (very exciting) they send me Mac Purple gloss! It’s a huge tease! I get Mac yay! Can’t wear color... Sad.

I got black eyeshadow 2 months a row. The worst part is they post teasers “you will be getting the hooker red or beautiful neutral gloss and the lovely nude or goth black nail polish.” So you get excited thinking “well I picked neutrals in my profile so they won’t send me red lipstick and black nail polish and black eyeshadow" but they DO!! So it’s NOT like they don’t have the neutral shades available. They refuse to send them to people who choose neutrals in their profile. That’s WAY too frustrating to keep getting goth makeup. (No offense to goths) It’s just not my taste.

I’m assuming the goths get the nude shades as I see complaints like mine from people who don’t like nudes. They often send teeny little samples of companies you’ve never heard of and they say made in China so it’s dollar store stuff. The bags are cheap and pretty useless. I'd forgo the bag if they would respect the profile choices and send colors I could use. I just canceled subscription after numerous complaints. Too frustrating always seeing others getting colors I’d LOVE to have.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've been receiving my Ipsy bags (on time) since the beginning of the summer. Sometimes I like the items, sometimes not! I rarely get the colors I wear, use and like and many of the items I don't use or I'm getting too many items of "blush" and "highlighters" and they come packaged so small, I almost forget I even have it. Once or twice I received a full item of lipstick. The best item was: English rose lip crayon. I did purchase two "mystery" bags and the items were good. Like I said, it's hit or miss. It does provide an opportunity to try new products and the bags I've used for my iPhone!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I've tried to order products from their site and they just kept cancelling MY order! I've been trying to buy the same stuff for over a week now and in this last attempt, they forgot to refund over $170 dollars back to me. Now, some of the things I would have bought are either out of stock or no longer on sale. I've tried everything to get in contact with them through all social media but they have no call-in help and absolutely NO ONE has tried to help me. The. WORST. Their customer service is a joke!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was considering canceling my subscription after I’d repeatedly received my bag weeks after others had, but after finally receiving my November bag on the 29th, the extra SAMPLE item I paid $3 for was not present in the bag. I contacted Ipsy Support, not only is their email system warped (you have to type your reply above a line in the receiver’s previous message), but their customer service was abhorrent. Ronald ** failed to acknowledge many of the points I made in my initial email, and again chose to look over them in my reply. When I finally made it clear that I only want a refund for my extra sample item, he informs me “Add-Ons are non-refundable and non-exchangeable...”

This would have been wonderful information to know, especially considering I still haven’t received what I paid for almost 2 months ago now. It also should be communicated to the subscribers when and if deliveries will be delayed. Ronald had no intention upon fixing this situation, he simply said “We apologize for any inconvenience and let me know if you have additional questions.” I, for one, will be canceling my subscription to this company. I’m not interested in giving my money to a company that could care less about their customers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I didn't even want to give 1 star! I haven't received a bag since APRIL yet, they still charge me every month!! I have called several times, with ZERO response!! They say to email them, yet there is no email listed anywhere! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! If they don't want people to cancel, maybe they should have a better way to contact them with issues!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Ipsy shouldn't be in business!! My complaint is like a lot of people's... We pay for the glam bags and they're not sent. I paid for September, October, November and I only received November's and that was after I complained for the second time I wasn't receiving my bags, cussed them out and they finally sent me one. I tried reaching out to them way back in October to cancel my subscription, well no one helped me and there's no actual representative from there to help. They just send you more ads to buy things.

Well today that changed after I threatened with the BBB and AG... A rude little robot sent me a few emails after I sent about a hundred to cancel about their Cyber Monday deals, well in some short cuss words, the rude little robot finally realized I wasn't joking and said they will stop taking payments out... Well I still want my money back or send the cheap little glam bags that I bought. Either way they need to fix it!

And an FYI to possible customers in the future, stay far far away. Their stuff isn't name brand, it's branded but name brand. And for the samples they give you go to a department store and get real high end brand name samples and you can purchase their silly glam bag at a Dollar Store for at 4 for a $1.00. So stay far away from them!! And my rating isn't a one, I would rate this outfit as ----0.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Two months in a row Ipsy took money from me and failed to deliver any product. Still have not received a refund and navigating their customer service is a nightmare. Makes me wonder how many other people are being stolen from.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The bags contain totally useless, low quality cosmetics that you will never need/use. It's essentially a clutter, stuff that no one else wanted. My last one did not even arrived at all (all previous ones took forever to arrive so essentially you are getting less than 12 bags a year because the periods between them elongate magically). Contacting customer support turned out to be impossible. When you try to enter a message to the customer support, the website becomes unresponsive (probably on purpose) and just hangs there. Waste of money. Not worth even $1 let alone $10.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

So, ipsy really ** the bed with this month's Glam bag. I signed up for this thinking "What the Hell? It's only $10 a month and it gives me a chance to try out some of the expensive cosmetics before I go buy a full-size and find out I hate it". Boy, was I WAY off the mark. I've had this for 3 months now and the bags just keep getting worse each month. In September's bag, I got a nice makeup brush. In October's bag, I got a MAC lip gloss. In this month's bag, I got a bunch of off-brand garbage that had absolutely nothing to do with my beauty profile in colors I specifically didn't select because they look like crap on me. It's not worth $10 a month for a bunch of samples of garbage I'll never use, so I'm likely going to be canceling my membership and going with Sephora Play from now on.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I would have given zero stars if possible. I never received anything from my preferences list in the 2 years I had a membership. When I tried to cancel they made it impossible. Emails to ipsyCare do not go through. I finally had to cancel my credit card to end the service. It’s not worth the hassle. Buy yourself a sample size product of something you know you will like at Ulta each month instead. It will be money better spent.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I recently purchased Origins products on ipsy. The promotion they were holding was spend $65.00 or more and receive a free 5 piece gift set. Firstly, I spent more than the required amount to receive the free gift set and never received it. Among this issue one of the products I ordered and paid for was canceled off my order. Due to wrong pricing. Still making my purchase price above the minimum amount to receive gift.

I reached out to their customer service and they got back to me stating “nothing is wrong with my account and they’d like to handpick an item for my November glam bag” my choices, 2 cheap lipsticks. Gloss or matte. Not my style. Lipsticks aren’t anything close to my personalized beauty preferences. Plus I never thought anything was wrong with my account. The problem was the false advertising of free gift when paying a minimum price and not receiving it. It’s been 4 days and I still haven’t gotten a response. I’ve emailed 2x since the initial email. Still nothing. Customer service is a joke. I don’t even believe it’s an actual person that replies. I will continue my subscription until I receive my cash back. Hopefully that’s not a joke too. We’ll see.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Everything started out fine. Items matched profile and got it around 11th of the month. Then slowly went downhill. Items that did not remotely match my profile meanwhile seeing numerous other items for the month that matched perfectly. Customer service either doesnt respond or gives generic answers. Packages started arriving later and later. Now I'm receiving one month as the next month begins. Also alerts that payment failed... Oct is shipped in November isnt here yet so why are they attempting to charge me right now and what for? The bags were great at first but every month I'm getting pretty much same thing just different brand and they don't match with any of my profile choices and still seeing all these other things I def woulda used.

Oh and one excuse for not answering my emails... because over course of 3 weeks I emailed 3 times so it moves my thread to the bottom. I told her I totally opened a new email each time so there was no thread (she knew I emailed so many times because I complained about lack of response and they claim to answer in 24 hrs). Also they marked my bag shipped last 3 months when in reality it was sittin' there waiting to be shipped. So I waited 2 weeks for a bag marked shipped that was never sent. Then they say they sent it and another 2 weeks later I got it. When I used to get actual tracking info it was 3 days from there to my home so not sure how it's suddenly 2 plus weeks. Packages from China don't even take a month when I order. This is 2 states down and takes entire month to get anymore. Just not worth it to me. The wait. Same items different brands. Things I will never use.

Oh and the fight to use my points which is when ALL issues started. The minute I used my points for free item things were delayed or payments failed when cash was on the card... anything to avoid sending the teeny tiny jar of powdered eyeshadow. No responses to service anymore and unbelievable waits for the bag. As soon as my Oct bag is in my hands I'm cancelling. Other subscription I get is well worth it and no screwing around all the time.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Very poor customer service is just one of my multiple bad experiences with Ipsy. I'm curious if anything like this has happened to anyone else with Ipsy. I had a $5 Ipsy Cash and decided to purchase one of their daily offers. I then got an email last night stating they canceled my order and wouldn't be refunding the $5 ipsy cash. I emailed them of course to try to figure out what happened... Their response was that it was flagged as a fraudulent/unusual charge. I even called my cc company to make sure it wasn't from their end which it wasn't. It also isn't a new card, it's the same one I always use with ipsy. I'm beyond frustrated and to me it seems like they didn't want to honor the $5 Ipsy cash. I haven't made an unusual amount of purchases from them either. I usually get something once a month if that.

Has anyone else had an experience like this. I'm so frustrated, I don't know if there is anything else I can do. Also if it was flagged why not contact me personally before canceling my order?!? *UPDATE* I'm really in shock right now. So basically when I pushed further to find out what the reason was for them flagging & canceling my order for being fraudulent their response was basically due to their company policy that they couldn't release the information... It's my account WTH! I even responded that to them & this was their response. "As my colleague mentioned, your order was deemed fraudulent per our internal checks at Ipsy; I'm sorry that I'm unable to share further info." I'm seriously almost to the point of canceling both of my subs from them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I wrote an email to Ipsy to cancel my yearly subscription and refund the $116.00 taken from my account. I knew they would cancel but thought I would not get refunded the money. They happily refunded the money with no hassles. I was very pleased with their customer service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I love my Ipsy glam bags but I do agree with some of the ladies about not receiving what you select. We all get the same stuff, it's not about pick and choose. It's about getting samples of what's hot on the market. For you to purchase the products at your local Sephora or beauty market.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Ipsy had several items on sale. I placed my order paid & received order confirmation. Several hours later they canceled my order, stating the seller changed prices and I should expect a refund within 5-7 business days. I emailed them to ask to explain to me how that was legal and they stopped communication. I reached out on social media sites and again through email no one has responded since the refund hit my card. I searched the TOS on the site and it’s not stated that they can changed prices and cancel orders at their discretion. I stated that in a reply email, where they offered to allow me to handpick an item in my October bag. I filed an official report with the BBB and I’m researching if the FTC or any other entities can do anything about IPSY unethical business practices! It’s ridiculous what they are allowed to get away with!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Beauty Box - I spent about 15 minutes answering questions about my skin tone, skin type, hair type, makeup preferences, daily habits, etc. I'm pretty sure no one read them. I am mature with dry skin and wear muted makeup. I received products with glitter, bright green and orange eyeshadow, skin scrubs for acne and blackheads, and trendy perfumes, even though I specifically stated I don't wear perfume. I ended up giving about 2/3 of everything away. Unless you are a teenager or in your early twenties, skip Ipsy. You are not their target market.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My teen daughter and I subscribed in hopes we could share or trade products with each other. Ipsy first makes you either ** yourself out on Facebook to process your subscription or wait on a waiting list, claiming they're so popular that there aren't enough bags to process each subscription request. Of course, ipsy's swimming in bags once you advertise for them on Facebook like a good little **.

Next, they don't pay attention to your beauty profile. I have light olive skin, dark brown hair, and amber eyes. I'm in my mid-thirties and put that I only wear eye shadow, mascara, Ahava products, nail polish, and occasionally perfume. My tones are earth and aubergine. What do I receive? Sparkly gold eye shadow, glittery eye shadow with copper tones, hemp hair products, skin glowy garbage whose main ingredient is petroleum jelly, orange nail polish, and bags that reek of endocrine-disrupting plastic chemicals. I got two samples of decent perfumes and the eyeliner was alright. Everything they send me is copper or orange. My daughter likes the bags to hold her Prismacolor pencils. That's about it. Oh, and those goodies you redeem for points - goodies which we're told are added to our next glambag? Never received mine but they took my points. I'll just stick with Walmart.

Original review: July 5, 2018

So my daughter told me about ipsy. Ordered it. Said I will receive first glam bag of May. Yeah let's just say I still haven't received it. Here it is July and they keep sending me more. They say they will not refund my money. I call and send emails, same thing. Will not receive a refund. They don't do them. WTF. I'm super pissed off. This was to be a gift for my daughter each month and haven't even been able to receive one bag!! I live in Pennsylvania and they stop at Maryland and can't be delivered. I will keep continuing to call all day long and sending emails. I canceled my membership but they still owe me 3 bags. Or 3 months of money they took! They are a ** joke. Do not order from them!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Not only do they lie but they false advertise and you receive shades you did not apply for. They ask you to do a profile that they don't even follow. I rather go to Glossybox or Boxycharm and pay more.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Each month I look forward to my Ipsy package. The product selection is perfect and the more I rate the products I receive, the more my future products are tailored to me.

Original review: May 5, 2018

You fill out a profile with your age and what you prefer but they send you what they want, not what fits or what you ask for or ask them to not send anymore.

ipsy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

• Best for: Ipsy has subscription bags for women and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

ipsy Company Information

www.ipsy.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.