2. Shopping
  3. Beauty Box

1.4/5 (67 ratings)

About ipsy

ipsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I am shocked to see so many bad reviews! I saw a few that mentioned billing issues but I pay annually so I've never had any issue with that. I love almost everything I receive and it helps me explore new beauty products—not just makeup. Every beauty product you can think of. Skin care, nail polish, perfumes, etc. Of all the bags I've gotten over the years, I could count on one hand the number of products I've been dissatisfied with. Pretty good odds so it's totally worth it to me! And if I ever get a product I'm not happy with, I make sure my profile is up-to-date with my current beauty preferences. And be sure to review the products, both the ones you love and hate. Can't get made at ipsy though if you get a so-so item. That's the price you pay for exploring and trying new things.

Besides having fun with it, I've even found some of my current beauty staples through ipsy. And you can get a discount on any full size items when you order with the ipsy discount code. I tried ipsy when I was in college and had to cancel because money was tight and I had no issues canceling at that time. Now, I've come full circle and started my subscription again. I love it as much as I did back then. Highly recommend!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I've been using ipsy for about a year now and I love it! I love their shaving club too! The only downside I've experienced so far is painfully slow shipping, I wish they would use FedEx. It's so much faster. I love getting an assortment of products every month. It's a fun little pick me up to look forward to. You can spend as much as you want or as little as $13 and it's easy to pause your services and pick back up whenever you want. I'm really surprised by all the low ratings, that hasn't been my experience at all!

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I’ve been with Ipsy on/off for yrs, finally they stopped sending me products that I never ever use, updating preferences doesn’t help. Most products are great but the shipping is horrible-they use DHL...

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Honestly, I am really shocked to see that so many people have had a poor experience. I’ve been a member since ipsy/Glam Bag launched in 2012, and I’ve never had any problems with receiving orders, products being broken, or with their customer service. I like that they now allow you to choose products and add-ons to make sure you’re getting what you want. My orders always arrive on time, are wrapped well and are good quality. I like ordering makeup online (especially now) and have rarely had to actually shop at Sephora or Ulta because I can always get essentials and treat myself. The variety is good too and I’ve never received duplicates. I have had to skip and temporarily cancel my subscription in the past, but never had any problems there and it was super easy to get started again. I really find that the service is worth the price and it’s a hassle-free way to try out and stock up on products. The app is super easy to use, too.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Had not even signed up for this. It was fraud. It was not me and got money taken from my account. Over $100. Nothing I could do about it. Couldn't contact customer service cuz there is no customer service. Very very upset and very curious with this type of scam or how can people even run a company like that? From a very unsatisfied not customer.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I didn’t receive 2 back to back orders from ipsy and when I reached out both times, the add-ons I’d purchased were “sold out” and so they couldn’t resend them to me. After this happened the second time I voiced my frustration and they generously offered me a free $3 add on! Wow! What customer service! They didn’t bother to find out what happened to my original packages, offered no compensation and didn’t give a crap over losing my business. Needless to say. Cancelled. Don’t subscribe.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Updated on 11/07/2021: My GlamBag Plus was to ship out on Oct 5th, I had chosen my add-ons, 3 days later DHL was still waiting on the package, it took till the 28th of Oct to finally get someone to request a replacement GlamBag & Add-Ons. I received the package on Nov 6 & guess what-yep 3 items are missing, I’m so frustrated with this company, it’s pretty obvious that the warehouse order pickers are stealing the merchandise, Ipsy DOES NOT CARE about their customers, o I received a small bottle of nail polish, same color I already had (is my fav though) & a small container of lotion. So everything was alright regarding the little gifts & my Oct GlamBag Plus & Add-Ons are finally going to arrive, but nope I’m left without again….

I’m demanding that the products I bought be sent to me, I don’t care if Ipsy has to outright purchase these items from the companies that make them, I paid for them, it’s only right that I receive them, they did state I would receive a fully filled Oct GlamBag Plus & Add-Ons, the ones I chose & paid for, not what they wanted to randomly send me, something I don’t want or need. I guess I’ll see how this trainwreck is handled again… Ipsy clearly doesn’t care if customers are happy, as long as the Ipsy people get their paychecks, o the salaries us little customers pay….

Original Review: So I’ve been an Ipsy customer on/off since they began & it’s really gotten worse the last 3 years - every other month my glam bag plus & add-ons are delayed, they constantly blame DHL but the real issue is that the Ipsy warehouse doesn’t pkg & send the info to DHL e-commerce. This month my Oct glam bag plus has been sitting at the Ipsy warehouse for 22 days & hasn’t moved, trying to get help, find the order, get it to me ASAP is a nightmare - they only know how to blame the shipping companies & won’t take the blame ever. I get this generic reply every single time I ask why I’ve not received my order every day:

"I understand your frustration, and it is our intention to get your October Glam Bag Plus out to you as quickly as possible. When packages get handed over from our shipping partners to your local post office, it can take some time for them to get sorted for final delivery, and during that time you may not see tracking updates. Don't worry, your bag and Add-Ons should arrive no later than 10/29. I'll personally be tracking your order so I can ensure that it arrives successfully. We don’t want you to keep checking for tracking updates! Thanks for your patience! Mae"

You’ll never get a straight answer from them. I’m done giving them my hard earned money for nothing but aggravation & it’s very clear Ipsy doesn’t care that their customers are the ones paying their bills..

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Hello. So first I had signed up for Ipsy to get a Glam Bag. Within the next hour I tried to log on to my account and it said it didn't exist even though it had already taken money out of my account for a glam bag. It took me until the next day just to get a hold of customer service to find out that I did have an account but it was all messed up. So I had received my glam bag which was 2 weeks late so a month-and-a-half later lol. And then I received something else from ipsy. Shaving kit which I hadn't ordered but I got charged for that as well.

I cancel the my account or so I thought I did because before you know it I'm receiving more emails from ipsy about my next glam bag...So I went on to the site to check and make sure that it was canceled and it seemed like everything was fine and dandy. Next thing you know, I'm receiving a package from that's right! Ipsy! So I look on my bank account and sure enough they overdrafted after I thought that my account has been closed with them. I open up the glam bag which seems a little bit light and not only are the products extremely tiny and things that I would never use but I'm missing one!

Also, there's a little write-up in the Glam bag about each product and their value? But I went online and their value is about 50% to 75% less than what they claim. Not only that but I am missing a product! I'm extremely frustrated because I don't even know what to do. According to them my account was closed. Next thing you know they're taking out money, overdraft in my account and then sending me things that not only do I not need but they're shorting me. I would suggest to anyone who is interested in joining ipsy to think twice, thrice and sleep on it lol because you're not going to get what you pay for.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I have been an ipsy subscription carrier on and off for years and never had a problem until this month. I have the basic $13 subscription but this month I had two charges from Ipsy on for $59.62 and the other for $30.37. Trying to get my money back is ridiculous. There is no way to contact them by phone. Email takes forever and I am sure I will be charged for a stop payment at the bank. If you have a subscription please watch your account. They are doing some shady things these days.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I think the app is not very user friendly. There is no way to properly rate the app. They give you two options. Rate 5 stars of not right now. I’ve been using this app years now and not much has changed to make the app more user friendly. Which is disappointing.

ipsy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

ipsy Company Information