4.00/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

37 ipsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Beauty Box - I spent about 15 minutes answering questions about my skin tone, skin type, hair type, makeup preferences, daily habits, etc. I'm pretty sure no one read them. I am mature with dry skin and wear muted makeup. I received products with glitter, bright green and orange eyeshadow, skin scrubs for acne and blackheads, and trendy perfumes, even though I specifically stated I don't wear perfume. I ended up giving about 2/3 of everything away. Unless you are a teenager or in your early twenties, skip Ipsy. You are not their target market.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My teen daughter and I subscribed in hopes we could share or trade products with each other. Ipsy first makes you either ** yourself out on Facebook to process your subscription or wait on a waiting list, claiming they're so popular that there aren't enough bags to process each subscription request. Of course, ipsy's swimming in bags once you advertise for them on Facebook like a good little **.

Next, they don't pay attention to your beauty profile. I have light olive skin, dark brown hair, and amber eyes. I'm in my mid-thirties and put that I only wear eye shadow, mascara, Ahava products, nail polish, and occasionally perfume. My tones are earth and aubergine. What do I receive? Sparkly gold eye shadow, glittery eye shadow with copper tones, hemp hair products, skin glowy garbage whose main ingredient is petroleum jelly, orange nail polish, and bags that reek of endocrine-disrupting plastic chemicals. I got two samples of decent perfumes and the eyeliner was alright. Everything they send me is copper or orange. My daughter likes the bags to hold her Prismacolor pencils. That's about it. Oh, and those goodies you redeem for points - goodies which we're told are added to our next glambag? Never received mine but they took my points. I'll just stick with Walmart.

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2018

So my daughter told me about ipsy. Ordered it. Said I will receive first glam bag of May. Yeah let's just say I still haven't received it. Here it is July and they keep sending me more. They say they will not refund my money. I call and send emails, same thing. Will not receive a refund. They don't do them. WTF. I'm super pissed off. This was to be a gift for my daughter each month and haven't even been able to receive one bag!! I live in Pennsylvania and they stop at Maryland and can't be delivered. I will keep continuing to call all day long and sending emails. I canceled my membership but they still owe me 3 bags. Or 3 months of money they took! They are a ** joke. Do not order from them!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Not only do they lie but they false advertise and you receive shades you did not apply for. They ask you to do a profile that they don't even follow. I rather go to Glossybox or Boxycharm and pay more.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Each month I look forward to my Ipsy package. The product selection is perfect and the more I rate the products I receive, the more my future products are tailored to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: May 5, 2018

You fill out a profile with your age and what you prefer but they send you what they want, not what fits or what you ask for or ask them to not send anymore.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My first time with ipsy and I am NOT impressed. First off, I paid $100 in advance. They wouldn't even send me my bag unless I jumped through some Facebook hoops and THEN, when I finally received my bag, there were only 4 products to everyone else's 5! Why is it that these companies are so lax with respect to the very consumers who keep them alive? AND, believe me, they are making serious bank on these minis they're selling.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Products are great... but small! You can subscribe to other beauty subscriptions for the same price and actually receive full size products. I myself have been billed 4 times and received 2 exact same glam bags. After contacting customer support about this odd situation they inform me they will refund 1 payment and I am to return 1 of the duplicate glam bags on my dime and will charge me a $5 restocking fee!!! They informed me that I have 2 subscriptions, one for my email address and 1 for another non existent email address. How is this possible? A glitch in their system maybe?

Original review: March 17, 2017

I enjoy it very much and only have used the service of ipsy once I have friends who subscribe every month and they love getting new fresh products in their mail box. The quality is great and variety is also always changing. I would recommend this to anyone who does not have time to shop or has better things to do with their time.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I love ipsy. Okay some great products and I enjoy getting surprised every month for what they sent. They got a lot of different makeup products. I need to get back and go with them again.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Ipsy is like having a birthday present delivered each month. The cost of it is moderate. I always think that it's worth the ten dollars when I get the bag in the mail. The only disappointing thing I could say would be hand lotion gets old. Give me colors and new things to try. I have found my most favorite concealer and blush through ipsy. So that being said, I think it's worth the money.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Ipsy does an amazing job with packaging their boxes beautifully and I feel that they are personalized. We always feel like we are receiving a special treat just for us in the mail. I always feel each month as though Ipsy has spent time choosing specific beauty items that I, as a mom of 6 teenage daughters, would use to pamper myself with. We have been so thankful to subscribe with them. I was able to try out products that I never would be able to afford normally and to know that they were high quality. I then was able to purchase a few regular size products for gifts for my daughters.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Ipsy was a good value purchase. They have good stuff with make ups that you could get in store later on. They know your style and would send stuff that would look good on you. I would recommend their shipping and delivery. I look forward every month for their products. They are very consistent in delivering and have never failed me. I am very happy with their sample quality. They send stuff from high end cosmetic brands and see it as a whole. Every product compliments each other. I like that they have some kind of a survey in their site about yourself and your make up preferences. They would then base the products they send on the questions you answered.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I like the quality of ipsy products. However, it would be nice to have some selection choice. Normally 1-2 pieces of quality makeup than sample size skin care products .

Original review: March 10, 2017

I liked ipsy, but I kept receiving the same make up brushes and similar product. But on a good note I did get to experience some new product and hear of new products.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I enjoy my ipsy bag every month but don't feel like it is always tailored to my preferences and I tend to get some brands I have said I do not want.

Original review: March 7, 2017

You get what you pay for. I love the value of the products, very useful and each item is of good quality. Good brands too, and each item is a different brand. I love how they change it up each month. Each size is full-size and not samples and allows for multiple use. Fast shipping as well. Love the bag it comes in that can be reused for other things, makes a great makeup bag, and each month is a different bag all with cute designs. I can rate my samples each month and allows me to choose stuff more personal and the items each, it personalizes to my skin tone and what matches my likes. I will continue to be a long-time customer.

Original review: March 6, 2017

The box is $10 a month with free shipping. It is worth it because you get 5 products for that $10. You are able to try products before you commit to buying them for a great price. The products are mostly full size. If you fill out the profile you will get things you will love. Everything I got was worth way more than the $10 I was charged for that month's Ipsy. The profile and quizzes were easy to fill out. They do select products based on what you fill out. It is worth it to take the time and fill out the profile with your specific likes and dislikes. Ipsy is supposed to be there by the 15th of each month. The first month it was on time. After that it was late, or lost. I had product stolen from one shipment. They did replace it though.

Original review: March 5, 2017

You get anywhere from about 5 to 6 items in your ipsy bag, they come in a reusable makeup bag that changes every month. You sometimes even get full size products in it. It is definitely worth the money. You get deluxe samples sizes in each bag. The sample can last you a long time if you use it the right way. You get unique makeup that I have never tried before and love now that I got to sample it first. You take a quiz when you sign up that determines what quality and colors will go good with you. You can retake the quiz as many times as you want to get the perfect match. Shipping usually takes about 2 weeks to get. But once they shipped it, they will send you a tracking number so you can track your item. I've only ever lost 1 bag in the 2 years I had them.

Original review: March 4, 2017

For $10 you get a variety of makeup sent to your door. It is usually sample or trial size products, but you sometimes get full size products as well. You also get permanent products such as brushes, tweezers, etc. The samples are high quality products that provide good coverage. They are tailored to my individual needs based on the profile that I set up. The online profile that I completed when I initially signed up was easy to complete. It asked me questions about my skin and hair tones, color, textures, etc. in order to personalize the products I receive. I receive a package once a month. The product comes in a stylish makeup bag, placed inside a pink packaging envelope. I always receive an email letting me know it has been shipped, and then I just keep an eye out for my pink package!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Ipsy has a great value of stuff in there. It's not that expensive and it's a great deal. The shipping is always great, fast and easy. It always comes on time and never late. I don't have to worry about it at all. They are always full size and in great condition. Always sends a different one every month so you get a great variety of everything. It's good quality makeup. I love how they are all personalized to each other. Not everyone is the same. It always matches your taste and wants. I love them a lot.

Original review: March 2, 2017

The ipsy box always come with good stuff that is needed. It's nice to be able to try it out before investing in a full size. It's affordable. Shipping is always fast and prompt and I don't pay too much for it. Packaging is also done well. The quality of the sample box is always high, I'm never disappointment. The sample size is big enough to really being able to decide if you like it enough. My experience personalizing the samples have been a good experience. I always get what I want.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

This box is very valuable. Includes makeup I like and enjoy using such as beauty supplies a lot people would good and use. I loved this box and highly recommend it. My box included mascara, eyeliner, blush, lipstick, lip gloss, eyeshadow, and primer... very good, everyday products that everyone uses on a daily basis. Packaging was shipped reasonably and in nice packaging. It shipped very quick. It was actually very inexpensive to ship very good, but I loved the shipping and delivery. However, there is not very many personalization options that I could choose. This is the only thing that I would recommend be changed about ipsy.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

You get a cute makeup bag that's worth about $5 so with it including makeup, it's worth it. Sometimes you get real sized things and not just samples. Also, they let you go on the site and personalize what you like and what you will use, sometimes you will get items in your bag that you normally won't use, just try it anyways, you may like it. I'm very happy with the samples. They are always good quality items, and never are the samples too small. They are just right, I normally like at least 3 of the 5 items I'll get. And the packaging is always good. The only issue is sometimes I get my shipment late. I would say they need to fix that part and then it will be better.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

There has never been a time that I didn't love something in my Monthly Make Up Bag from Ipsy! The way that they determine what kind of products you receive is such a wonderful concept. Ipsy asks you questions to figure out what will suit your interests better. From choosing what type of style you typically wear, to what skin tone you have. Ipsy adjusts your Make Up Bag based on your preferences and style. This is an awesome way to try brands you've always wanted to try as well as brands you've never heard of before! The bags are useful within themselves.

The designs Ipsy comes up with are just beautiful! I now have more travel makeup bags than I can count and that is not a bad thing! The pricing for this amazing makeup jackpot is ten dollars a month! That is more than doable! Especially when you get four sample size products and one full size! They also have a points system so when you continue to use them every month, you can purchase full size products with your points! Overall, this is a wonderful deal for anyone who wants to continue to try new brands of makeup and expand their collection!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

The products are a great trial size and I like that it is a mix of high-end and drugstore. The samples can be a hit and miss for me but often it is a hit. I can't find some of these samples everywhere which is a great thing. I do appreciate that they have the best products to try out and most of the samples that I receive are useful. However, the sampling personalization could be better. For $10 a month I appreciate that the subscription comes with makeup bags every month. I like that the shipping is decorated as well and that they take the time to make the packaging efficient and look great.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

Great sample box. I love ipsy bags, I've have it for more than 2 years. Very versatile and every bag comes with a little reusable makeup bag, and for $10 pretty good deal. Plus you get 5 items which can include makeup or face treatments. Free shipping and delivery is not the quickest but is not terrible. You get it within the same week they ship it so that's a plus. It comes in a nice pink envelope so it's a nice gift for you. Some samples are full size some are small but you can't complain. You get awesome makeup samples before buying a full size and not liking it. Every month you get a new bag and makeup. Some are enough to even use more than 10 times.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

They have a good brand and a lot of good products that they put into their bags every month. The items have always been in my mailbox when they said it was going to get there. It's a good quality and I enjoy getting them every month to try out the samples that they give. I would love it if I had the option to personalize it with my name or with my daughter's name so that I could give it to her for christmas or for her birthday. Or so I can hold onto it and give it to her when she gets older.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I've gotten a very good deal of stuff in each box and the makeup bags alone are a good value. Nail polish, mascara, lip liner and lip gloss. The makeup itself has been great, has good color choices and quality and I've had no adverse reactions to any of the products. Also, I love how they pick the colors for me by matching my profile and skin and hair color. I was also able to pick my favorite types of products and the ones I use regularly. The bags they come in are super cute and each month is a new bag. However, the first box I order was returned by post office saying no such address, but Ipsy was very understanding and immediately reshipped the package at no cost to me.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

The box has great items that come with it and can be used anytime. It has different samples of beauty items that I wanted to try and in all sizes. Also, it was shipped on time and I received them on time as well with all contents in great condition. It's a great value for the money and I recommend to anyone who wants to try the box samples.

ipsy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

• Best for: Ipsy has subscription bags for women and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

ipsy Company Information

www.ipsy.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business