2. Shopping
  3. Beauty Box

1.4/5 (67 ratings)

About ipsy

ipsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: July 20, 2021

I just got my June Bag. Saturday July 17th. What a mess, my daughter got here on time. Then they run out of items I've chosen. They got the wrong item I paid for twice but they refunded me. I told them they should take it off the site if they don't have it. I just got fed up and cancelled. Too much computing this.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I spoke with customer service once who acknowledged error and told me I would get a bag within 15 business days. After I did not receive the bag, I found that the customer service number no longer exists and chatting with bots gets you nowhere. I live on a fixed income and this was my only luxury treat to.myself. Sad. I would like a refund for the April bag I never received and I closed my account successfully.

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I have been ipsy customer for almost 2 years. I'm about to cancel my subscription and go somewhere else. This is mainly because of shipping reasons. They use DHL and very slow getting monthly bags, but my other stuff I order that is mailed separate comes faster. I also had 1 bag not show up. They did make it right but I got it following month few days before current monthly bag. It's not the easiest to get a hold of them but it is possible only by email. And like I stated they will make it right but I'm sure it's about policy of waiting to see if items show up or etc. I would stay if they changed shipping partner. I worked for DHL years ago and I'm telling you if you knew how packages was treated and types of people working there you wouldn't mail nothing through that company. But it was years ago when I worked there. Hopefully some stuff has changed but apparently not enough.

Original review: July 9, 2021

RECEIVED June glam bag on July 7th. Empty bag. Sent email and still have not received any response. Company has it fixed where the communication is poor. No phone number. I have cancelled my subscription. They also charged me twice for July. I did not order anything extra. Beware of this company. I did turn them into Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 3, 2021

First month everything was great. However, 2nd month I was somehow signed up for a “Refreshments” bag subscription as well. I asked to cancel that because I never signed up for it. They wouldn’t refund it even though it hadn’t shipped yet. A month later I still don’t have either subscription bag for June. It’s July 2nd. They are awful.

Original review: July 2, 2021

My experience was HORRIBLE. My glam bags never came on time months behind. I made the mistake of signing up for their refreshments and even after I canceled it I was still charged. If I pay for something in June I expect to get it in a timely manner not in August. They seem to think there is no problem with any of this.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Ipsy is horrible. It’s July 2nd and I still have not received my May bag. Which on the record, I cancelled my subscription before May even started and I still got billed for it. They also put me on a razor subscription that I NEVER signed up for and keep charging me for it even though I have canceled it through the app (never signed up for it in the first place) and emailed them multiple times to get it to stop. I also have never even received any of the razors that they forced me to pay for. I’m conclusion, this company is a complete scam. All of the other reviews are one star so BELIEVE THEM. Do NOT waste your money on them. I subscribed to Boxycharm after getting away from them and have had a much better experience. The boxes arrive very fast and they have not charged me for anything I haven’t ordered.

Original review: June 22, 2021

This is literally my 2nd month with Ipsy. The first month, my Glam Bag was very late (showed up the next month). OK ... I'll deal with it. Set up my 2nd Glam Bag and waited and waited. I kept emailing their Customer Service asking about it and they gave me canned responses to wait until the end of the month. Then, I received a shipping confirmation for the next Glam Bag even though I never received the prior month's Glam Bag. I again email their support and was told, "So sorry. We'll refund you since we don't have it in stock anymore."

The problem is not only is this my 2nd month (and they have failed miserably), but I ordered Add Ons and made additional orders and it's always the same story: it never shows up and when I contact them, they tell me it's now out of stock. In less than 2 months, this has happened to me at least 5 times. I am so infuriated with these folks right now that I have told them if they screw up one more time that I am cancelling. Thus far, the only thing you can count on is sheer ineptitude. And no, I do not live in some remote area. I live in Indy!

Original review: June 9, 2021

I have been a member for over a year. 3 boxes never showed up. The only way to to get help is via email or social media chat. (They return your text or email, usually around 24 to up to 72 hours later.) One of the boxes I never got resolved, because I gave up, the other I did get a refund after months of back and forth emails.

The May 21' box I added $145 of extras, it was never shipped. After a month of getting the run around from Customer Service chat they gave me a partial refund and offered to send me a new box with what they had in stock. The most expensive item I ordered was a PDM product which retails for over $100 and I ordered it for $45, as one of my add ons. I was told that it was out of stock. The item was in stock, I even got an email from Ipsy saying I should purchase it. When I asked customer service about it, they told me in the same chat that the item was out of stock and if I wanted to purchase it I would have to pay twice what I originally paid for the item. Just really poor business practice. I cannot believe this company gets away with creating labels and not shipping the items. Seriously read the reviews on their own site on how many people did not receive the PDM product. Or look up reviews on this company, this is common practice for them.

Original review: June 4, 2021

So, first of all, they don't care about anything you put in your profile. I have very short, straight hair that won't even hold a perm. They would send me curling solution, detanglers, and other things that I don't need. Then, the colors. Remember that dusky pink that was popular for a summer two years ago? Well, that's about all I ever got for lip color. Month after month of that stupid pale, dusky pink. That looks good on almost no one. It was that or bright, '80s pink. The samples are small for the price. They would send so many lotion options I had to turn off that I even wanted them, and they still sent them. Then they did a collaboration with a Kardashian. That was part of the last straw.

The bags started arriving later and later. I would sometimes get a shipping notification the day I received it, or the day after. May 2021 comes around, and I had decided to go for the quarterly bag before I knew who the collab was with. I was super disappointed in who it was with, but I went with it anyway. They charged me for that bag on April 30. I usually received my bag around the 17th. When it hadn't arrived, I checked online. It said they were still shipping. I was perturbed because that was really late. Well, then I get a shipping notification 2 days later on the 19th. Then nothing. A week passes, nothing. Another week passes, and nothing. I decided to contact the company, because we were steadily approaching when they would want to charge me for *another* bag and I hadn't gotten this one.

I went through the whole process of cancelling on the website, which is awful, deceptive, and frankly gross. You have to click through several pages to confirm, over and over, that yes, you are sure you don't want it anymore. Then they send you an email with a link you have to click. I did all that, and noted that you have to do the same for each bag if you have more than one.

I sent an email about when I would receive my final bag and got no response. I went to Twitter, and got an answer as soon as I tweeted saying they refused to send me this bag because I canceled future bags. I was told to wait, essentially. They said I had to wait 15 business days after shipping. After pointing out that their own website says they ship between the 6th and 10th, I was told my bag didn't ship until May 19th. No explanation on why it was so late. The tracking link they give goes through some middleman, Pitney Bowes, which then gives you a USPS tracking link. That link has not updated since May 19th. It's now June 4th.

When I spoke with the rep, TD, on Twitter, I was told I also had a subscription to Refreshments and she offered to cancel. I thanked her for that and told her to cancel. Well, I was charged June 1st for that. Same day, but I still don't think they should be able to charge you the same day you cancel through them. Anyhow, I am disputing both charges with my credit card company. The link I have for the Refreshments shipment from April is now the same as the link for my May bag, so there is something unsavory happening there. I don't trust them and never expect to see any product. Hopefully I will be reimbursed through my credit company.

I have filed a complaint with my state's Attorney General's office. I recommend anyone reading this to do the same; that's partially what they're there for (they perform many functions) and they rely on the public to inform them. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB, as well as a fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. This company has a track record, if fellow reviewers are to be believed, of taking money and not providing the product they promise. It is a SCAM. Stay away. Just because it sometimes works for some people doesn't make it a good business. That's just the minimum they have to do to stay open and keep scamming.

ipsy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team