3.9/5 (806 ratings)

About ipsy

ipsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I've subscribed to ipsy for years and the service has severely declined. Firstly, ipsy claims to have an algorithm to match your specific preferences to products you like by filling out a questionnaire and reviews. Claiming that your matches get better the longer you subscribe and the more you review. I find this to be a flat out lie. As a member for over 5 years my matches should be on point, yet I don't ever remember receiving a bag that didn't include items that I don't use such as lipstick or eyeshadow. In fact at least half the items I receive monthly are give aways, sometimes more.

Ipsy has also increased in price almost yearly. When I first subscribed it was 10 buck a month, now it is just over 16 a month. I gave up on the monthly bag a long time ago. Where ipsy's real value was is the huge discounts on luxury brands during the pop up sales and add ons. Though that service is becoming severely lacking as well as you can't count on actually receiving the items you paid for.

I've had more issues with Ipsy in the last year than I have in over 5 of being a subscriber. Twice this month already they have failed to send what I've paid for. Ipsy sites inventory issues but the items were available when I purchased. Two weeks ago I happened to see a refund from ipsy on my financials. I go check my emails to look for any communication and there is none. I have all my order confirmations and shipping confirmations. All items are there. I had to reach out to customer service to find out what I was being refunded for as they provided no communication. Not a good business practice....then yesterday when I received my monthly bag I could immediately tell that it felt light for the 5 add ons I had with this order. Sure enough I'm missing 4 out of the 5 add ons. Don't ever expect to actually have any decent name brand replaced, they will always site inventory issues but continue to sell the same items in other pop up sales.

I'm not sure what has changed at ipsy but they can't seem to be able to track inventory or actually provide the items you purchase on a regular basis. The service has become to overpriced for the level of lackluster performance. The pop up and add on sales was the best part of ipsy. If they can't actually provide the items paid for then they are no longer providing a service of any value. Ipsy is quickly becoming not worth the hassle of having to alert customer service of their failures so often. The situations I've described are only my most recent two. If you choose to subscribe to ipsy you will be looking forward to emailing customer service every couple months minimum. Avoid and find an alternative service. I know I am.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I paid for it all and still haven't received items from November, yet they have already taken out money for Jan. I am missing 5 shipments! They send you messages but that is it, never the product. Then they say, "oh it will be 15 days." It's been over 15 days and I'm missing my Glam Bag Plus from Nov, my Glam Bag and refreshments from Dec. My Glam Box X did come but all my items from Jan still aren't here and they took the money out Jan 2 and nothing 15 days later. Don't do it. It has to be a scam not to mention they told me they ran out of product and that was the delay. Where is my stuff? I have spent quite a bit of money for only one Glam Box X. Also canceling is hard and you don't get your money back!

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

Ipsy was good at first. I'm disabled and makeup is hard for me to buy so I join Ipsy but they have taken so much money out of me. It's crazy no. They don't follow that chart you fill out. Half of the make up I have got has gone to my daughter because her complexion is darker than mine and they have sent me a lot of dark colors. I don't like dark eye shadow. I'm kinda fair skin so I don't think the darker make up looks good. Now I want to cancel and I can't. These people need to be put out of business. They should not be able to take your money and leave. I would suggest if you want to go with this company use a prepaid credit card where you put money on it. Can't take money if it's not there.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

I've tried cancelling this for a YEAR. I've had to change my banking account 3x and file chargebacks. The site does not give you an option to cancel forever, they only will let you cancel for 3 months and I've been informed by the bank that they subscribe to a list they get from Visa/Mastercard that will update your NEW information so they can keep charging you. Not only that, they don't even send the PRODUCT out once they've gotten your new bank info by stealth. THEY ARE PREDATORY AND NEED TO BE PROSECUTED.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I was offered a membership price and was overcharged. I immediately cancelled my membership and was unable to talk to someone. Their Bot chat is a joke. None of my questions were answered. No options to resolve this. I do not recommend them. It’s a rip off.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I have been a long time subscriber to Ipsy. They removed payment for my December Glam bag Plus, but they have yet to ship my order. I’ve tried on numerous occasions to reach out and find out the status, but I cannot seem to get in touch with a real human, only bots. All I want is my tracking information or my package. If they can provide neither, I want a refund.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

It has been over a month, and I still not have received my first Ipsy order. Since then, I have canceled my membership. Members are unable to speak with an actual person. It is not an option. You have to respond to a robo chat online, and it does not understand your inquiry or questions. It says it learns and is still learning? Whatever that means. There is no number to call. And once you cancel, you are unable to delete your credit card information in your account profile. I was able to track my order, and as of right now it is somewhere in Texas (I live in Idaho) and is being handled by DSL. If I get charged in the future after canceling, I will report them to the BBB. And if I do not receive my package that I have already paid for? I will report them to the BBB. Awful company all around. Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I paid for months AND add-ons I never received. I would prove with bank statements but the have NO PHONE NUMBER or E-mail. You must use a "bot" programmed to send you in circles. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE!!!! It is frustrating to trust a company then realize you can’t even contact them. THAT IS POOR BUSINESS! Why else not have a way customers can contact you? I am missing 2 months order + add-ons that I paid extra for. I'm out about $100. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

My daughter's name was just changed to the name on the billing address as if she has her own credit cards. Her profile picture appears upside down. And the charge wouldn't go through so I don't know if she got her November bag or not. And to top it all off, there is no phone support so that I can resolve this and get back to what I'm supposed to be doing today. I would thank you to stop wasting my time with nonsense.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

Ipsy is a fraud. I opened a email which brought me to their acct then got charged 15.90 and did not authorize this. Cannot call due to they say they respond better by email but the email is bot generated and says response time 24 hours but now been 4 days and no one contact. I want my money back. They are stealing my money.

ipsy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

ipsy Company Information