2.66/5

73 ipsy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 8, 2019

I love the little makeup samples. Brands I would have never tried/heard of. Always on time. Always able to track what is going on thru the app. It lets me know when they are packing and shipping. Also gives me a preview of what’s coming! Love Ipsy????

Original review: April 5, 2019

I told Ipsy that I was allergic to one of their products. Keep in mind this was 4 days before my box was even assembled. I politely made them aware of my allergy and the customer service representative blew me off and refused to replace the item. Said it was their policy??? I offered them a variety of ways to make this right, I even offered to pay for shipping to return the item....nothing. Why spend my hard earned money on a company that simply doesn't care? Ipsy definitely just sees their customers as dollar signs and I'm cancelling right away. There are so many new subscription boxes rising in popularity, that I'm not even worried about "missing out". I have Boxycharm and they have been very accommodating to me and actually value their customers....Ipsy needs to get it together!

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I love the idea of ipsy because I tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to trying new make-up brands and I wanted to explore some new products without committing to the full size products. Ipsy claims that they care about the personalization of your product but this claim is completely fabricated. I always update my preferences and I even help the preferences by choosing some of the products available in their next bag (I will point out that it is not guaranteed that these products will make it into my bag).

This clearly has had no influence on the random group of products they threw together for me. The contents of my April bag are as follows: A contour brush (listed as "rarely" in my preferences), A green eyeshadow (listed as "rarely" in my preferences and the color is also listed as "rarely"), a lip product by a company I specifically did not list in my preferences, and two products that were listed as "sometimes." I will also point out that I have plenty of products listed as "sometimes" or "often" on 15/18 of the listed make-up products. This is not the first time that I've had this issue but it will surely be the last. I love the concept of ipsy but I cannot recommend them as they clearly do not take your preferences into consideration.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I joined this beauty box experience and after a few red flags were raised I canceled my membership immediately. You sign up they take your money out of your acct even though "All new customers go on a waitlist." When I inquired further I was told there's so much of a demand and they cannot keep up but they don't tell you you're on a list until you sign on. So you end up paying monthly but never tell you when your GLAM BOX is coming. It's just not on the up and up and I think other boxes like Allure Birch and Sephora are much more known and reputable.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Credit card deduction is made promptly each month, your shipment may not come until the following month if at all. Reported to customer service, no resolution. Just promises they'll ship- but they don't. Add on services are frequently if always out of stock.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: March 21, 2019

Ipsycare had one of the best service recovery systems I have ever experienced. I had problems accessing my account and could not retrieve my password due to an old email account on file. James was incredible helpful in helping me change my email address on file. After I still couldn’t log in with the new email, he also gave me a temporary password which worked. I would never expect a company to correspond so much back and forth over the course of the week but they seem incredibly attentive and determined to solve customer complaints. I wish every company cared this much!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have had a monthly subscription to Ipsy for about 2 years now. I truly love Ipsy because I get a new, interesting, usable make-up bag and 5 sample sizes of beauty products every month for a very affordable price ($9.99) with S&H included. I have been very happy with the samples that are chosen for me (bus my beauty questionnaire, which was quite thorough) and have had occasion to deal with Customer Service with this company and was completely and totally pleased with their response and attention to my situation. I plan on keeping my Ipsy subscription for the next 2 years.

Original review: March 17, 2019

After a one year subscription, I decided to cancel my subscription with Ipsy based on the fact that the cost of the Year's subscription was paid for by a friend. I still had one Glam Bag coming to me. February’s Glam Bag was sent out and after 48 hours I had a DHL tracking number. This tracking number stayed dormant for one month solid. After many attempts with support @ipsycare, a new bag was sent. After being held for ransom at the DHL facility in Phoenix for 5 days (I live 20 minutes from Phoenix) the bag arrived only after a call to DHL and again a “ticket” sent to Ipsy. When I got the bag I realized that the bubble bag had been resealed with clear packing tape. Once the Ipsy bag was opened, there was one item in there.

I was supposed to get between 4 and 5 items. Ironically the item received was not part of the February glam bag products. I think Ipsy owes me the full February glam bag and I think a theft took place at the DHL facility in Phoenix. I did send another email with attached photos of the bag, the contents and the tampering. I think if Ipsy does not rectify this issue at their level or with DHL, I will need to call this a scam. You cannot contact Ipsy by phone only via email which should be a red flag. So buyer beware of Ipsy especially if you decide to cancel. I feel as if they use that against you!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I tried their subscription for about 6 months. They never got the eyeliner color right. I am a 74 y/o women that said from the start "no black eyeliner". All the monthly boxes that included eyeliners were black. One thing I like was it offered you a chance to sample different brands of makeup I never heard of. I may try a different company and try it again.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have canceled three times in writing... I hate your customer service, bs answers to communications and 75% of your products because I am allergic to them and you won’t take returns for items I cannot use because of the preservatives!!! Return the money you stole from my bank account (again!) for March and cancel membership... I am filing a claim with the Better Business Bureau and reporting you to the Fair Trade Commission because I have had it! Am I understood?

Original review: March 1, 2019

I’ve been a long time subscriber to Ipsy. I absolutely love makeup and this was a way for me to get some very good deals and try out new products. I recently started subscribing to their Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Back in October I had an issue where I never received my regular Ipsy. After reaching out to customer service numerous times and no response I finally got a reply, an AUTOMATED reply which made me very upset since they ignored the first 5 or more, I then started messaging on social media until they responded. when they finally responded they claimed that the bag was already sent even though I had already reached out to DHL and post office, neither of them ever had any information on this bag.

After a month of fighting back-and-forth with they finally gave in and agreed they never sent the bag. When I finally did get the bag well over a month later heading into two months not a single item that I was to receive was in there. All that I got was five dried out old items that nobody would ever buy and were NOT worth $10. I then reached out again to customer service and argued with them for days until they agreed to send another. By this time it was probably almost December and I had yet to receive my regular Ipsy or my Glam Bag Plus.

Long story short for 4 months I was paying for bags and received nothing. Every time I reached out I was lied to or ignored or run in circles. They flat out will refuse to look into anything and fix THEIR mistakes. I was and still am owed 4 months of bags equaling $90. They replaced a $25 bag with a $10 sample bag of dollar general type items, none of which was what I should have received. I finally gave up trying because my stress over it wasn’t worth it. Ipsy is a scam, yes you can get nice stuff if you actually receive it and half the time they don’t send anything and refuse to refund or send what is owed. They claim they are “sold out” yet you can buy all those items on their page. They are rude, lazy, and just plain unprofessional. Save yourself $10 or $25 a month and go to BoxyCharm or FabFitFun.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I've been a subscriber of ipsy for several years now, and have always enjoyed the sampler bags that they send. They've exposed me to new brands, new products, and supplied me with more than enough makeup, for just $10/month. However, I recently decided to end my subscription, because I've been taking a break from the makeup world and embracing natural beauty. When I went to end my subscription, there was no obvious way to do that on their website. I eventually found it, after clicking through pages and pages, but it seemed like the only option was to "pause" my membership, for 1, 2, or 3 months, after which, it would resume as normal.

In fine print below those buttons, there was a "cancel my membership" button, but I'm not kidding when I say it was small, and not apparent unless you were really looking. I eventually got through all of the steps to end the subscription, but to my surprise, two months later I received another glam bag! And was charged for one! Apparently, somewhere along the cancellation process, there was a button that changed my action to pausing the subscription, rather than cancelling it. And in following the flow of pages asking you to end a subscription, I clicked on the obvious ones, which was my error.

So today, back on the website trying to cancel the membership again, I found that a person has to find the fine print on page after page that offers pausing instead, continuing to keep the membership, basically any option besides cancelling it, unless you're looking very carefully for the cancel button. This is such a sneaky practice, and I'm furious that I was tricked into getting billed for another month. I can't support a business that has you jump through hoops in order to end your service with them, and it's such a shame because I truly did like their products for the most part.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I purchased an ipsy offer since the 17th of this month (January) and I still haven't received the products as yet. I ordered and when I reached out to them they took forever to reply and then now they are telling me that the payment did not go through and also about some fraudulent rubbish with my card. And right after I purchased the item I made sure and check my balance on my card and they took the money so I don't understand what they really are trying to tell me now, when I even received a confirmation email and their customer care is also very terrible. They barely reply to your emails. I had a problem a time with BoxyCharm and they were very responsive and helpful but I cannot say the same for ipsy. I am very annoyed and displeased with their service and I really hope I get my glam bag for February since they already charged me for it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Do not buy this bag. It is a scam! I am still waiting for my bag for over a month, I call USPS and they say they didn't even receive a package to ship from them. I should have read reviews before I committed to this. Now I have to see if they will refund me, which it's already impossible to get straight answers from them. They always reply in a roundabout way. I am very very disappointed, I am telling you do not subscribe to this company. It truly is a scam.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Been a customer for over 5 years. Bag was fine - it was something fun to do with my sister. I had an issue with a bag that I never received. I reached out to the company via email (be aware they have no telephone number for customer service which is unbelievable) and they told me I would get a tracking # for a replacement. Never got it. Followed up again and was told the tracking number was on its way. Never got it. Followed up for the next 3 weeks via email and Twitter and no one ever responded. Because they have no phone option for customer service it falls on you to just keep emailing, tweeting or DM’ing. It was so awful I canceled my account over it. Too many beauty box subscriptions with better brands and customer service. Choose something else and save yourself the aggravation.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I was told about the great products you get every month. I subscribed and started getting crap so I cancelled my subscription. Since then I have been getting charged the monthly and not received anything. I reached out and they told me that I was put on hold for a month and that it automatically renewed the following month. I wanted a refund and they told me that wasn't possible. So I made sure I cancelled. Even have a screenshot of confirmation. Guess what...I am still getting charged. This company is a bunch of crooks. I have a lawyer working on it and want to warn others that this company is trash.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had an Ipsy account for over a year. The products tended to get cheaper and cheaper over the course of the year. I also got charged for 2 months and never received my glam bag. I have contacted them on three separate occasions, still have not heard anything. Needless to say, I cancelled my account.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been a subscriber for over a year. The products you get are cheap and not worth the money. When I first started I would get unusual brands. Now it’s cheap smelling perfumes and stuff you can get anywhere (for less money!) Wish I could give 1/2 a star. They don’t care if you have allergies either. You just get what they throw in there. And the make up bags look cheap. You find them all over value village.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I signed up 1/1/2019 and $10 was taken from my account. I checked my app every day excited to see what would be in my bag, but nothing changed and it kept telling me to check back 1/2/2019. Fast forward to today, 1/8/2019, and it's now saying that I will not receive a January bag because either my payment could not be processed, my account is on pause, I'm on an every-other-month plan or I signed up after bags were assembled. I checked my account and it is not on pause and it was, in fact, a monthly subscription. I checked my bank account and the $10 was taken. According to FAQs glam bags are made in the middle of the month, so I didn't miss the bag assembly date. It's still unknown to me why I'm not receiving the bag I paid for.

I've emailed Ipsy regarding this (their only form of communication, btw), but based on other people's experiences on here I'm not sure when or if I will be hearing back. I originally emailed intending to get my bag, now I'm contacting them intending on getting a refund for the $10 they took without providing their services. It just sucks because I've been wanting to sign up for some kind of makeup box for years, and finally this year, after rarely treating myself to stuff like this, I decided to take the plunge on ipsy and they screwed me over the very first month. I certainly will not recommend this service to any of my friends and am extremely disappointed that this is my first and only experience with a subscription box. Needless to say, I won't be making this mistake again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I had never heard about these products until I logged into my bank account & saw a charge of $10.83 from Ipsy. So I tried reaching customer service to ask the reason for the charge & no luck with that. I did try reaching out to them via email support@ipsy.com which I did get a response but they asked me for my Paypal Acct, a screenshot of my bank account charge etc. I went ahead & provided that information. Oh this was for the month of Dec & it’s Jan & I still haven’t gotten a resolution to this! So they charged me again for this Jan month so I had to contact my bank directly & had to cancel my bank card!!!! It would have been nice if I at least got the product so I can physically see if this was even worth getting charged for!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have no complaints about price, communication with customer service, etc... They are very responsive. However I don’t see why they can’t divide their bags for 2 types of clients 1. Glam, goth, hooker. And 2. Neutrals. That’s only 2!! They have you fill out a profile which is an apparently useless joke to them! I checked all neutral colors. I fill out product reviews for everything! I have gotten Joan Jett Eye Black Eyeliner in 3 of my 4 bags so far, red or hot pink lip gloss and one of the few times I get a brand like MAC (very exciting) they send me Mac Purple gloss! It’s a huge tease! I get Mac yay! Can’t wear color... Sad.

I got black eyeshadow 2 months a row. The worst part is they post teasers “you will be getting the hooker red or beautiful neutral gloss and the lovely nude or goth black nail polish.” So you get excited thinking “well I picked neutrals in my profile so they won’t send me red lipstick and black nail polish and black eyeshadow" but they DO!! So it’s NOT like they don’t have the neutral shades available. They refuse to send them to people who choose neutrals in their profile. That’s WAY too frustrating to keep getting goth makeup. (No offense to goths) It’s just not my taste.

I’m assuming the goths get the nude shades as I see complaints like mine from people who don’t like nudes. They often send teeny little samples of companies you’ve never heard of and they say made in China so it’s dollar store stuff. The bags are cheap and pretty useless. I'd forgo the bag if they would respect the profile choices and send colors I could use. I just canceled subscription after numerous complaints. Too frustrating always seeing others getting colors I’d LOVE to have.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've been receiving my Ipsy bags (on time) since the beginning of the summer. Sometimes I like the items, sometimes not! I rarely get the colors I wear, use and like and many of the items I don't use or I'm getting too many items of "blush" and "highlighters" and they come packaged so small, I almost forget I even have it. Once or twice I received a full item of lipstick. The best item was: English rose lip crayon. I did purchase two "mystery" bags and the items were good. Like I said, it's hit or miss. It does provide an opportunity to try new products and the bags I've used for my iPhone!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I've tried to order products from their site and they just kept cancelling MY order! I've been trying to buy the same stuff for over a week now and in this last attempt, they forgot to refund over $170 dollars back to me. Now, some of the things I would have bought are either out of stock or no longer on sale. I've tried everything to get in contact with them through all social media but they have no call-in help and absolutely NO ONE has tried to help me. The. WORST. Their customer service is a joke!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was considering canceling my subscription after I’d repeatedly received my bag weeks after others had, but after finally receiving my November bag on the 29th, the extra SAMPLE item I paid $3 for was not present in the bag. I contacted Ipsy Support, not only is their email system warped (you have to type your reply above a line in the receiver’s previous message), but their customer service was abhorrent. Ronald ** failed to acknowledge many of the points I made in my initial email, and again chose to look over them in my reply. When I finally made it clear that I only want a refund for my extra sample item, he informs me “Add-Ons are non-refundable and non-exchangeable...”

This would have been wonderful information to know, especially considering I still haven’t received what I paid for almost 2 months ago now. It also should be communicated to the subscribers when and if deliveries will be delayed. Ronald had no intention upon fixing this situation, he simply said “We apologize for any inconvenience and let me know if you have additional questions.” I, for one, will be canceling my subscription to this company. I’m not interested in giving my money to a company that could care less about their customers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I didn't even want to give 1 star! I haven't received a bag since APRIL yet, they still charge me every month!! I have called several times, with ZERO response!! They say to email them, yet there is no email listed anywhere! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! If they don't want people to cancel, maybe they should have a better way to contact them with issues!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Ipsy shouldn't be in business!! My complaint is like a lot of people's... We pay for the glam bags and they're not sent. I paid for September, October, November and I only received November's and that was after I complained for the second time I wasn't receiving my bags, cussed them out and they finally sent me one. I tried reaching out to them way back in October to cancel my subscription, well no one helped me and there's no actual representative from there to help. They just send you more ads to buy things.

Well today that changed after I threatened with the BBB and AG... A rude little robot sent me a few emails after I sent about a hundred to cancel about their Cyber Monday deals, well in some short cuss words, the rude little robot finally realized I wasn't joking and said they will stop taking payments out... Well I still want my money back or send the cheap little glam bags that I bought. Either way they need to fix it!

And an FYI to possible customers in the future, stay far far away. Their stuff isn't name brand, it's branded but name brand. And for the samples they give you go to a department store and get real high end brand name samples and you can purchase their silly glam bag at a Dollar Store for at 4 for a $1.00. So stay far away from them!! And my rating isn't a one, I would rate this outfit as ----0.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Two months in a row Ipsy took money from me and failed to deliver any product. Still have not received a refund and navigating their customer service is a nightmare. Makes me wonder how many other people are being stolen from.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The bags contain totally useless, low quality cosmetics that you will never need/use. It's essentially a clutter, stuff that no one else wanted. My last one did not even arrived at all (all previous ones took forever to arrive so essentially you are getting less than 12 bags a year because the periods between them elongate magically). Contacting customer support turned out to be impossible. When you try to enter a message to the customer support, the website becomes unresponsive (probably on purpose) and just hangs there. Waste of money. Not worth even $1 let alone $10.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

So, ipsy really ** the bed with this month's Glam bag. I signed up for this thinking "What the Hell? It's only $10 a month and it gives me a chance to try out some of the expensive cosmetics before I go buy a full-size and find out I hate it". Boy, was I WAY off the mark. I've had this for 3 months now and the bags just keep getting worse each month. In September's bag, I got a nice makeup brush. In October's bag, I got a MAC lip gloss. In this month's bag, I got a bunch of off-brand garbage that had absolutely nothing to do with my beauty profile in colors I specifically didn't select because they look like crap on me. It's not worth $10 a month for a bunch of samples of garbage I'll never use, so I'm likely going to be canceling my membership and going with Sephora Play from now on.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I would have given zero stars if possible. I never received anything from my preferences list in the 2 years I had a membership. When I tried to cancel they made it impossible. Emails to ipsyCare do not go through. I finally had to cancel my credit card to end the service. It’s not worth the hassle. Buy yourself a sample size product of something you know you will like at Ulta each month instead. It will be money better spent.

ipsy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

• Best for: Ipsy has subscription bags for women and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs