3.9/5 (649 ratings)

About ipsy

ipsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ipsy?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I have been getting Ipsy for years. This is why I use it and how I look at it?: Ipsy costs around $13 dollars a month. If I were to go shopping for make-up or skin care products I would buy high end products. Mascara is over $20, the face wash I used was over $50. So yes, be prepared to get a lot of mascaras in your bag. I normally get a lot of face wash and eye cream too. But for me, that's ok. I am still saving money because those little samples last awhile. Since I don't have sensitive skin I get to try these high end products and I almost never have to go to the store and buy any make-up.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I received Ipsy bags regularly a few years ago, and I loved them. I cancelled my subscription for a while due to my budget, but recently started it again. Since starting back, I have had regular issues with both my Glam Bag orders and my Ipsy Shop orders. Items would be missing or arrive damaged and unusable. Very frustrating after waiting weeks for my orders to be delivered, which Ipsy continues to blame COVID for. My last order was missing three items out of seven. When I contacted customer service, they told me my missing items couldn't be replaced because they are sold out. They did offer a refund, which I why I am giving them 2 stars instead of 1 star. However, I no longer think the frustration is worth it, considering the numerous other companies I can subscribe to instead. I cancelled my subscription and will not be returning.

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I have had a subscription for a few years, at first I loved pretty much everything I got each month. It has slowly gotten worse over the past 8 months or so. This months glam bag was patethic, I literally got 1 make up brush, 1 tiny tiny tube of coconut oil. Can't even read what brand it is because it's that small, one tiny face moisturizer and a bar of soap! Yes that's right a bar of soap! I am canceling my subscription today! It's just junk. The last 2 glam bags have been literally junk.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I have had a subscription with Ipsy for a few years and was happy with the product until I wanted to change some of my choices. I tried logging in with my email address and there was no account. There is no number to call and when I chat it is obviously not a person. I was asked for the email on the account several times. I am unable to get into my account to make changes or at this point to cancel. I would not use this subscription service again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I have been a member of Ipsy for several years and used to adore the company, in fact, I got several people to join me in subscribing to them. I am saddened by how horrible they have become. The past few months the bags have been very underwhelming, the products just mediocre and some even dried out (two different mascaras and a cleansing balm) so I decided to take a break and canceled my subscription. When I saw Alicia Keys was the curator for August I rejoined and was excited.. that excitement quickly became a disappointment. I was double charged so I simply got in touch with customer service just trying to straighten it out but they twisted it and tried blaming me, canceled my order and keep making up excuse after excuse.

They tried saying one of the charges was to secure my spot for September (this was the middle of July) why on earth would they charge me a month and a half before a bag and if this is usual for them why don’t they tell you that when you rejoin? At one point Zen told me they corrected the charge but I was welcome to keep my order. (I wasn’t trying to get a freebie). So I log in on August 2nd happy to make my choices but I am unable to. I contact customer service again but am met with rude Harold who is telling me I am confused and basically it’s too bad and there’s nothing he can do. At this point only one of two charges have been reversed so yeah I am confused.. I was charged but get no bag? Again he tells me there’s nothing he can do, and basically I’m out of luck.

I understand mistakes happen but never once was I offered an apology for their screw up. If I hadn’t noticed I was double charged would they have? How it ok for them to make a mistake like that and then blame the customer? I felt like both Zen and Harold blew me off, didn’t listen to my complaint and just tried shutting me up saying I was confused. Own up to your mistake Ipsy.. you tried taking extra money from me and then blamed me for it without any sort of apology or explanation. I have seen a different side of this company now and just want to warn others. If you resubscribe make sure you check your bank!

Original review: July 28, 2022

This is the third time I ordered from this company and every order has had items missing and it takes weeks before they send the missing items. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Also it is impossible to speak to a real person.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I have tried several times to cancel my membership. It says they will send you an email and the cancellation won't be final until you clink on the link they send. Well I've never gotten an email even after double checking to make sure my account email was right. There is no number and the bot wants to send a code to your email, that I never received either, or you can't even talk to it!! I'm so fed up!!

Original review: June 25, 2022

Look, ipsy is a fun thing in the mail each month, you choose at least one product depending on your level of bag, the rest go by your quizzes/reviews of past bags. I'm in Canada pay $21CAD/mo, and there's ALWAYS something worth more than that in USD! And there's always something in there I really like. I'm shocked by a few of these reviews and question the validity of some. It's very easy to cancel, they do NOT say you have to buy another month as I read above, pretty sure that's illegal. A LOT of these complaints could have been avoided by being proactive and reading up on what to expect and what's expected of you! Stop which takes a minute or two! Just skip a month if you need to. You can skip by midnight before the 1st and not be charged that month. You can keep skipping endlessly I believe!

Any problems I've had (and I've had some, trust me!) I contact support and they always make it right. Usually they go above and beyond! You earn points by reviewing each item which helps them pick your future bags, and there's always discount codes for the products given! They also throw points at you like mad if they mess up. I've so many points I can buy whatever I want in the points room for free each month.

I HATE THE SHIPPING process, that's the biggest complaint I have. 99% of items are not available here. As for the sizes (they are deluxe samples) people need to research the full size MSRP of the products. The idea is to try new things at a greatly reduced rate to see if you'd like to purchase full size. Then you can use their coupons for a discount on that! You can't please them all, though. I'm frustrated with ipsy often due to shipping, but it's not a scam. Full stop. Could be better for sure, but could be much worse.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I have enjoyed many of the products from Ipsy's glam bag, however, they lack a variety of products and kept sending me very similar products every month. For example, three months in a row I received a black liquid eyeliner and a body scrub, which is less than ideal. I wanted to discover new types of makeup, not the same things every month. So I went to cancel my subscription and they make it SO HARD. It's way too many steps, they put in a ton of effort in keeping you subscribed. This is shady and wrong of companies to do as they offer an optional service that should be easy to opt out of at any time for any reason. They would rather you skip months instead so they promote this as the alternative to just canceling the subscription. It makes no sense to do it this way, as it's obvious to anyone that they can resubscribe whenever they'd like. I just hate shady practices like this and now I feel inconvenienced and upset by them.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Well I did not like the shipments I was getting. I tried to cancel as it said I could anytime and they kept sending shipments. My card has been charged every time I have canceled this account 3 times and they still keep sending products I don't even like as I have told them. They may have great prices and products, but their customer service is a ** show!

ipsy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ipsy was founded by Michelle Phan, whose YouTube makeup tutorials went viral several years ago. Each month, subscribers receive a Glam Bag with five sample-size or full-size products.

• Full-size products: Some items in Ipsy’s Glam Bags are full size as opposed to sample size. Customers should be aware that Ipsy does not guarantee any products in the monthly Glam Bag will be full size.

• Ipsy Offers: Every weekday Ispy begins two flash sales of popular beauty products while supplies last. After products are sold out, consumers can see discount and promo codes to use on the specific brand’s website. Consumers do not need to be a Glam Bag subscriber to order an Ipsy Offer product.

• Giveaways: Ispy’s website features a sizable selection of giveaways and contests. To enter, consumers must typically post a picture on a specific social platform and use a particular hashtag.

• Tutorials: The Ipsy website includes videos and other tutorials on using the products included in the monthly Glam Bag. These tutorials are available for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

• Points: Glam Bag subscribers receive points for staying active on Ipsy’s website and social media pages. Points can be redeemed for free products.

ipsy Company Information