Learn More

2. Background Check Companies

3.6/5 (56 ratings)

About Intelius

Intelius delivers information about individuals and their connections to others using public records from government and professional entities. With a monthly subscription, users can access unlimited records and instant search results. Intelius cannot be used to screen tenants or employees.

Pros

• Mobile app for Apple and Android
  • Unlimited reports
  • Can pay monthly or per search

Cons

• Cannot buy one-time service
  • Auto-bills after 30 days

Bottom Line

Intelius is a search service that provides information about people by compiling information found in public databases. It can be used for personal-use background checks.

Top Intelius Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased Intelius to find property owners for buyers that were interested in purchasing their properties. Intelius was by far the best source of information relating to the pro...

Verified

Intelius was easy to use, and searched an incredible number of records in a very short period of time. Accurate, very reliable, and my search found the person I was looking for ju...

What is Intelius?

Intelius is a search engine for personal data. The company uses public data to provide customers with a wide variety of information. This includes criminal records and other information for background checks.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) doesn’t classify the company as a consumer reporting agency, which means you can’t use it for tenant or employment screening.

How does Intelius work?

Intelius pulls data from a variety of public sources, including:

• Commercial business records
  • Court records
  • FBI and local crime records
  • Federal, state and county records
  • Phone directories
  • Real estate deeds

Intelius doesn’t provide any information you can’t find on your own by searching public records, but the company saves its customers time and effort by pulling all the public data together in one interface.

The information Intelius provides typically isn’t readily available on Google; you’d have to comb records and often pay fees for access. With Intelius, you pay a single fee for the information you request.

Intelius subscriptions and features

Intelius offers a variety of search options based on your needs. Some of the features the company offers include:

• Background checks
  • Criminal records
  • People directory
  • People search
  • Phone directory
  • Public records
  • Reverse address lookup
  • Reverse phone lookup

Though Intelius used to offer tiered pricing, it now only offers one plan that lets you access unlimited reports and instant search results. This plan is either a monthly or bimonthly membership. You receive a discounted rate If you opt for the bimonthly membership, which gives you two months of access.

How much does Intelius cost?

Intelius memberships cost $24.86 per month, with a discounted rate of $42.25 for two months. However, the company has occasional online offers for additional discounts or opportunities to pay for a five-day trial period.

You can pay for your Intelius account by using a credit card, debit card or PayPal. Keep in mind that your account will automatically renew every 30 days unless you cancel it. To cancel, contact customer service or do it online.

Intelius FAQ

Is Intelius free?
Intelius is not free to use. The company offers its service starting at $24.86 per month, though you can receive a discount by purchasing two months of service.
Is Intelius safe?
Intelius is safe to use. The important thing is to read the fine print when signing up so you know exactly what you’re paying and what you’re getting.
Is Intelius accurate?
Intelius is as accurate as possible. It pulls from public information, so its information is only as up-to-date as the public data is. That said, customers sometimes report that there is missing information in reports.
Where does Intelius get its information?
Intelius gets its information from public databases. This includes government records, social media, financial institutions and more.

Is Intelius legit?

Intelius is a legitimate business that offers several search options, and it saves customers the time and effort that would otherwise be spent digging through public records. Intelius offers a mobile app for both Apple and Android devices. Though you cannot use Intelius for just one search, it offers affordable subscription plans on a monthly basis, with five-day trial periods available during certain promotions.

Intelius can be used for background checks, but it’s important to know that you can’t use it for screening potential tenants or employees.

Intelius Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intelius?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I was going through my paypal statement and saw 4 charges from Intelius. Three being for $29 a piece and one for $0.95. I was unaware that these were occurring due to the charges being tied to a CC that was stolen and subsequently cancelled; and replaced with a new card number. I'm not 100% sure on how those payments were able to continue, whether it be a paypal thing or a bank account thing, but I was surprised nonetheless and it's not like they were just some $2.99 charge. I immediately cancelled with paypal and then contacted intelius. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest I wasn't even sure what those payments were for exactly, but I knew I would like to be refunded. Within 24 hours I received an email from them with what the charges were, the account they were under, and a full refund to my account. (haven't gotten it yet as I just read the email and its the holiday weekend- but the email seems pretty official). Very appreciative of their customer support and resolution.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I was trying to find my grandson. I found it very interesting the many topics you ran through. Most of the listing about him I recognize, he had moved a lot and I had no idea where he was. Obviously, he does not keep in contact. I sent a letter to the last known address you gave me, no response. (I think he got the letter.) I had received a large check that came here for him, (he lived here six years), but my letter got no response so I returned the check today. Thanks for the information you supplied. If I ever want to find someone I will use you again.

Original review: March 30, 2021

When I have to use it. Every once in awhile I have to track people down. Comes up every once in awhile, as I do skip tracing on occasion or helping find people who have run off with cars and we need to find their location to get the repo done. Or if someone can't find a loved one, etc. I recommend your service to everyone that needs stuff like this done. Don't currently have a need for it, but I'm sure life will drag me back into it. Thanks for all that you do!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I CALLED TWICE TODAY, AFTER TRYING TO DO A PHONE LOOK-UP WITH MY $29.95 MEMBERSHIP WHICH I BELIEVED TO BE A "FULL" MEMBERSHIP. Anyway, I first spoke with a young lady name Padi, who was very helpful an offered me a $14.95 fee effective 3/3/2021 which would be a truly free subscription, including phone look ups. She said she'd send a confirmation email and I checked and it hadn't shown up yet, and I went back to log in, when I got a pop-up on my screen offering a trial for $4.95, so I went thru the steps to sign up for that, and finally got a message that an account with that email already existed.

So I called again and got a charming and delightful young lady name "Lisa", from somewhere in NE Iowa, who was patient and extremely helpful, in spite of the fact that I'm a horrid typist and while I'm on the phone have to typed one handedly, and she was kind and helpful and displayed a wonderful sense of humor and brought a ray of sunshine into a dreary afternoon for me. She's certainly a keeper and hopefully you have bigger things in store for her.

I retired 10 years ago after a 38 year career as a human resource executive, so I think I'm a pretty good judge of people and personalities, and Lisa's a winner! Not to take anything away from Padi, but I think, from my experience Lisa would be a perfect role model for the general population of customer support & service folks, and not just with Intelius, but I spend a lot of time on-line and have dealt with and/or hired probably hundreds of them so I'm not just blowin' smoke. She's the real deal, and I wish nothing but the best for Lisa and for your organization. Sorry for the long message, but she made it worth the time. Thanks for listening.

Dan

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I spoke with Tim, in customer service, and I was very impressed with his personal service in satisfying my personal request. His empathy, personality, professionalism and overall knowledge serves him well. He is Excellent in his demeanor, and I consider Tim to be the Best of the best in his service to myself and others. I personally consider him to be a tremendous asset to your company. This pleasant gentleman deserves a Hefty Raise since I, the customer, is supposed to be always right. RIGHT? Thank you Tim. You are the Greatest in how you related your empathetic response to my request! Thank you again. Allen **

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Intelius Ken-3825 Support staff presented your report that ended Sharon. Died Aug. 17, 2011 which is a shock. What is missing is the cause of Sharon's death. I would expect when you find a subject died you would also find the cause of death. That is what I find a significant deficiency in your report. Please find and report the cause of death or your rating will be low.

Hi Richard,

We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I am 82, and Not too familiar with The Computer. The agent who helped me was So understanding, and helpful. I will be a customer in the future, because of Him .I just need Time to get my wits about me again. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was pleased with the service however, I only needed a one time. I was charged $2.99. Fair and I was agreeable. Then, I received a charge for a monthly membership. I do not need or want this. Cancellation was easy and I thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I had no idea that I had somehow ordered this service. I feel that I was tricked into ordering it.. I canceled it immediately as soon as I knew about it and was assured that I would not be charged. I have paid for 2 months, please cancel.

Intelius response

We’re sorry that you were unhappy with our billing system. Intelius provides all of the billing details to its users before they sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at any time in our Terms of Use. If you have any questions regarding our billing system, please contact the Customer Support team at 1-800-245-1655. A senior member of our member care team will also contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Support

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I needed to do a reverse lookup of a phone number that unexpectedly showed up in the list of authorization phones in my BofA account. Found Intellius and was happy to pay a dollar for a lookup. To my astonishment, after I paid, they asked me to pay another 4 bucks as a download charge. That's fraud. I opted not to download the "report". On top of it, I discovered a charge for "membership" that I did not sign up for. That's fraud, too. Stay away.

Intelius response

We appreciate your feedback regarding our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Intelius to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Intelius Company Information