Imvu.com

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have used IMVU for approximately 6 years. The only reason I use IMVU is because of the long life friends that I have met over the years and the fact I love creating. Over the 6 years, I have had multiple accounts and spend tens of thousands of REAL dollars on them. I wouldn't have had to spend this much money if IMVU wasn't a money hungry fraudulent company. For instance, I spent about $3,000 on my first account, I was a Pro creator and doing great in my shop. I went to log in one day and I was banned for "Sharing personal details on the IMVU Forums". Let me make this clear, in my time using that account on imvu I never once ever used the IMVU forums, I had no need to.

I made another account and attempted to contact them and try and retrieve my wrongfully banned account, Without success. They refused to supply me with actual evidence that I ever used the imvu or even shared personal information on them, They refused to return my account which I knew was taken without proper reason. In other words, they just took my account, that was worth over $3,000 with no explanation. This isn't my only account taken with false explanations either, my next account was perm banned which had thousands of dollars spent on it for "Sharing a fraudulent link". The link was imgur.com which is a picture sharing website. I even went as far as getting a written email from the creator of imgur.com saying in no way is their website fraudulent and made yet another account and contact IMVU. I asked for evidence, I sent them the letter from the creator of Imgur and still, I didn't get my account back!

I have even lost an account because some random person in a public room decided to gift everyone BM products, I went directly to Varsha (IMVU Moderator) and said "someone has sent me this. I want it to be taken away because in way do I take responsibility for a random person gifting me this without my consent. Her reply was "You are going to be banned for having that." IMVU as a company is a joke. They can take $1,000's of dollars of your money without explanation and without evidence. They can supply you with false allegations and you can't do a single thing about it. I have done my complete best to follow their terms of services and even then you will still lose your account eventually.

I have stopped spending money on IMVU. I know I will never get back my accounts nor the tens of thousands of dollars I have lost to IMVU for absolutely no reason. I have lost a total of 4 accounts now and they have never supplied an ounce of evidence to their accusations. This is a business taking real money for a service that they provide but are never held accountable when it comes down to how they treat their customers. Be warned and be careful. Don't spend too much money on this site and don't stand out.

They punish us players for their glitches and you don't get any help over live chat. The room specialist deny rooms that have been featured before just for fun so basically we put money in their pocket to put food on their table and we get nothing in return.

One day while on Imvu I had decided to buy credits for my avatar and once I had typed in my credit card information it kept rejecting it. I ended up getting fed up with it continuously rejecting it and so I called Imvu. Once I had gotten on the line with somebody and explained my situation, the woman had told me to put my guardian on the phone and when I told her I was a legal adult she decided that because my voice is high that I wasn't. I then had to attempt to get her to accept that I was an adult and in the end she didn't even fix the issue! Currently they banned my account because of suspicious log in and told me it should be returned in 24 hours. It's been 9 days and I am reluctant to call them in fear of them assuming my age again, I have spent hundreds of dollars on this company and they didn't even treat me with respect.

I recently bought a VIP member. After experienced it, I tried to cancel the subscription but couldn't do it because of some error from IMVU services. I tried to write them through email and contact them directly in live chat. They told me that my VIP membership will be auto cancel. One month later, the membership didn't cancel but I got charged again from my credit card. Basically, they lied to me. I will never again ever play that chat software anymore, and I don't recommend it, to be honest.

I personally have only seen their bs from a third party point of view until they handled a situation with my wife's account poorly. She had a friend, who got her account disabled because they claimed she made a purchase then tried to refund the money and keep the credits. She asked for proof, showed them that the money was still taken from her acct and no refund was ever issued, so she asked for proof that she tried to refund it and they refused, said the decision was final but she was welcome to start again. Come full circle to my wife. She has had this account for over 8 years. One day she gets off work and goes to log in and her account is disabled.

Immediately upset she contacts their live support. They accuse her of selling her account and that it was disabled and the decision was final. They refuse to offer any proof or justification for it. When she asked to speak to a manager or supervisor the person ended the chat, and when she called they just kept saying the decision was final with no proof, no chance for her to defend herself. Just thousands of dollars and time gone for no reason. I think it's time this company be confronted for their piss poor customer service, their abuse of its customers, and for fraud - they are taking people's money and banning their accounts for no reason! I don't see how they can legally do this to people and nothing happen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Imvu.com?

I had an account with imvu. Logged on for over a year. Had the same account never had a problem with it ever until one day I couldn't log in and it was saying disabled. Well I called and complained about it and they accused me of fraud so I asked them what name the account was under and how they got my password and such. They couldn't give me a direct answer so I told them I wanted my account turned back on and they said I had to pay 122 dollars to re-enable it. Well after spending tons of money on clothes and music and clubs and homes and vip and app they do this to me.

I continued to ask for the proof and they continued to hem and haw over the question and continued to tell me they wanted more money to re-enable. I think it is a scam to get you to pay more money. Well I will not be starting over. They can shove it where the sun don't shine. They say they are here for the customer and they really aren't. Waste of time and money. Never again. Sad to be treated like a stupid piece of crap. Act like they know what they are doing when in all actuality they are just ripping more money off of you.

Was told by imvu they wanted me to give them credits and accused me of stealing all I bought on imvu when I did not. I paid for it all with the credits I had. This is insane. I liked it there once and now all it wants is to steal from loyal customers. I used to buy imvu cards also for creds and now they're asking for a credit card when I do not use it which makes me think they're trying to steal than help as not a lot have credit cards but instead of realizing it, they're punishing those who just use cash to buy things.

Yes like so many I WAS hooked onto this site not longer as I can quite firmly say that I limit my time. However when I am on it there is this user who ever since a friend of mine had his account hacked by her she continues to harass me through obtaining pictures that she would never be able to get hold of to following me, to messaging me, you name it and yet Imvu do nothing. It's been over a month now this has been goin on. Why are they so hooked into protecting the people who are the offenders I never know.

I need my money back because my bank sent me a message talking about I made some charges on imvu which that's not true at all. I need you people to give me my money back & take those charges off my card. I tried to email you people but you people didn't reply to my email. I'm really getting sick & tired. All I want is for you people to give me my money back & take the charges off, that's all.

I guess I join the long line of complaints. I was a member in Imvu since November of 2009. It may all sound silly the amount of money that I've spent there in almost 7 years but indeed I was Imvu addicted like so many. It all started on April 13. For days I could see my id online from the website when I was not online. So I changed my password because I was freaked out that Imvu is giving warning to people about hacking. I sent a help ticket stating that I saw my id online. Imvu replied to me that it is due to Imvu 'next' website. When signed in there you can be seen online. I was satisfied with the answer. But when I tried to log into Imvu there was a generic message saying that I was disabled. I sent another ticket to Imvu, in return they sent me a new password.

I again tried to log in with the new password and it said I was disabled again. Another ticket to Imvu and they said they wanted to prove who I was. They asked me several questions. My payment info etc. Email. Credit card number (last 4 digits) and address for billing. Indeed I answered them back all correctly as it is my account. Then I received a reply accusing me of sharing accounts? I told them what proof? None was given. I was told I am welcome to go back to Imvu and spend money on another account. Now 7 years after paying for a registered account. AP pass. VIP monthly. Over 400 songs. Over 300 rooms. Countless clothes. I wont be going back to start all over again??? There is no way to sue Imvu. They are the judge, jury and executioners. You do not own your id, you just borrow it and pay money on it. I recommend to anyone it's buyer beware. Be very careful.

I used to like IMVU, a lot!!! I have been IMVU user for five years... I never had problem with the credit bills... I have only one problem, even I contact with IMVU support group, nothing happened. Here what my problem is... I bought 7 products from a developer with the nickname, **. At first her tops worked just fine. After 3 months or so, I couldn't wear them on any avatar. The only thing I could see was the black texture of the products. I try to contact her but she accepts only messages from her buddies. I contact with the support on IMVU, and they told me that was not their problem and I should contact with the developer. But how could I, if she didn't get my messages.

I try so many ways to message her. I even write in reviews of her products to send me a message. I send message to people they know her, still nothing. So now, after 4 years of futile efforts, I can't wear the products I bought nor I can a refund... that's so irritating. They could contact her and tell her to talk with me, but no. I have to find the way, and I can't do anything... I'm so disappointed.

So I just pay with my card and I waited for a min and never got my credits. I'm very pissed off. They don't really help you on there and not that long ago my Imvu was acting up and ** and idk what's going on - like it's slow and sometimes it don't show the stuff I buy or let me wear them. Please help or tell me what I can do.

I have been playing IMVU for 1 year. A few days ago there was an IMVU credit sale 40% off. Usually credits are pretty expensive so I thought... What a great deal!! So I went ahead and paid for the 50,000 credit package and it said "I'm sorry this order can't be proceeded. Please try again." So I went ahead and tried again and it still didn't work. After that I tried 4 more times. It won't work!!! So then I just forget about it and went to bed. Then 2 days later, a lady calls saying: "We have been having errors with credit buyers on sales." She told me I would get my credits back. And I never got them!! So I pretty much wasted 27 dollars on nothing!! WHAT A SCAM!! SOMETIMES THEY WILL SCAM THEIR CUSTOMERS! I WILL NEVER BE BUYING CREDITS ONLINE AGAIN!!

I have been on imvu for about 4 years now. And I never spent any money, I just earned them. Yet I made a new account (as I do when I get bored of one). And I spent money on this one. I was happy for a few days with this account and meet great people. But on day 5 I logged in and imvu would not come up at all. Its just stays in the hidden task bar. I have tried opening it, reinstalling it, accepting the Hughesnet pathway. And yet nothing is working. I called imvu to get help yet they told me its my own fault because of the computer and I should try a different one. Yet I have read many reviews on the same thing happening and quite frankly imvu's long time users are not happy. Imvu use to have great service and help yet this has gone down in the last year. I'm disappointed with what they had to say about this issue and still haven't fixed it.

I have been a member of imvu for 5yrs and had put a lot of money into my avatar and imvu as a whole, just recently I received an email saying that I have chargebacks made to my account which I had never made any requests for refunds from a purchase for a chargeback to be placed against me. I wrote imvu about the false accusations against my account but they still stated how I was banned and would have to pay $745 in order to get my avatar back. I don't think it's right that I'd have to payback for some charges or requests that I've never made. If anything imvu owes a lot of people on imvu money back for all the false accusations they make, products they take without refunding people. I use to really like imvu but now I just feel like their whole program is a scam.

I joined IMVU in 2005 initially. I became a VIP and was producing retextures and such with a moderate level of success and revenue. However, my computer was wiped in 2012 following a virus. Everything was gone including my saved password which I could no longer remember. I attempted to contact support in order to figure out how I could continue with the account I had spend years working on but they flat out stated they couldn't help me since my IP address wasn't the same and my email no longer existed due to inactivity. I created another account in order to get help on the forums and in my failed attempts made it my new one but after trying to sign in again only a year or so after creating the new account, my email was no longer on their system. It still isn't. None of them are. It's a disgusting way to shut out any customer let alone those that paid real money like myself.

Imvu had a great concept years ago, but sadly that has dwindled to nothing more than shady practices and questionable business ethical 'policies'. The complete lack of listening to the client base has grown from a simple irritation to a full blown annoyance on many levels. Avoid this company and its client. You will like most I know be gradually worn down and frustrated. There is a reason it hasn't grown over the last five years regardless of what they may say on their business portfolio. You pay for a 'service' in which you often find yourself updated out of with no apparent reimbursements from this company. If you are under 12, you will undoubtedly enjoy it to a point of away from keyboard boredom while you do other things. A lot of the bigger developers have left for greener pastures a click away, even that part of it had imploded. If I could give them a half star I would. Shady, dishonest, careless and unethical.

Last week I brought a vip membership with an extra 20k coins. I did not get them as I have already paid for them on my account. I'm very disappointed that my money was wasted on this game (imvu?). I want you to give me back my money or add it back onto my account. Much appreciated thank you.

I tried logging into my imvu account after being inactive for a while and my Vip ran out so it's now guest. And I entered everything my username and password and it wouldn't let me access my account. I tried resetting my password, and nothing worked. The last resort is calling these people because if they don't find the problem, I want every freaking dime that I spent into this game back and they can have their stupid products back >:(

Imvu ban people if the community don't like your personality that why second life has more people on their site. IMVU is a very sensitive site for sensitive people. The credits is a rip off. 1000 cr equal 1 dollar etc. The average item is 1200 cr.

I had an account with Imvu a little while ago now and it got hacked into. I tried calling Imvu and I even did those ticket things and even tried emailing them about trying to get my account back but they couldn't do anything. They kept asking for more information from me about the account which I gave them every time but still nothing so now I've lost that account with all the friends and money I spent out on it for outfits and rooms and to get AP. So now I've had to make a new account and start all over again. So I wish and hope Imvu does something about the hackers because I'm sick keep making new accounts. This is the third time I've had to set up a new one.

IMVU operates in a very scummy sort of way. If you ever encounter any sort of problem with their service you'll be expected to contact customer service whom will blatantly refuse to answer you with anything more than cheap, generic, copy pasted support text. After over 3 years of building a catalog of content within IMVU they decided to change their entire payment paradigm and then cut me out of being paid entirely due to reasons that they couldn't discuss with me fully "due to security" among a million other laughably goofy excuses.

I not happy with Imvu. They use my bank account and take all my money and don't know how. Don't use it. So is there some way can stop it pls., so can have my money back. Would like it back, so yeah pls help out. I hate when they do it.

I got an email from imvu saying my new account had been disabled for having an inappropriate name, but it was accepted at the beginning? I made a whole new account cause my last one was hacked. After a day my new account got banned. I sent a ticket thing and they sent an email back... My case is still new, it's neither assigned or closed. I made so many friends in just a few hours... How are they supposed to know where I went??

Ok I was doing a baby's room on Imvu. Well it boots me out and I go to log back in it doesn't let me in. Well I ask some of my friends on Imvu about my account they said it was disabled. I told them I didn't disable my account. Well the videos that are free to watch I done them because it was a way to get free credits if you could not afford them at the time. Well I got banned for credits. That to me is a load of horse crap. We didn't have no warnings. We didn't know how many to watch and they said I could have my account back when I pay 718.780 in credits they would unbanned me. To me that's a lot of money and I'm still banned trying to get enough to have my account back on.

It hurts when they think you're made out of money. I think something should be done about this. I am a creator on there and some of my friends was banned too for the same thing. It's been going on a long time it craps. I have been on the other account for 1 year. I don't have money flying around. I think they need to pay me back for watching them flipping things.

First my computer was fried by search protect then imvu said it was not in their software. No just the other day they said it was over a year after it hurt my computer. So that's just one thing. They're over priced on thing and their TOS you have to be a lawyer to really understand it.

I have been on IMVU and have had several issues being:

1. Warnings given without a response or reason being given by client. Most of the time ppl don't know what they are talking about.

2. Cyber-stalking & Bullying. There are several groups of well known bullies who pride themselves in hacking. I have had my financial information (correct too) pulsed on the community bulletin board along with my home telephone number 5 times. I showed IMVU chat logs, messages, pics, copies of the pulses and they have yet to do one damn thing about it. The most you get out of their staff is "we will review and just avoid these ppl." Never once have I seen anything done. These people make a life of trolling and abusing people.

3. I have disabled for 3 weeks for a picture where I had an ap fit on? It was not ap and proven to not be yet it took 2 weeks for their staff to review and re-review. Smh.

4. You can never reach a manager. They are just never available, ever! 5 years and still waiting!

5. The employees come across as rude and simpleminded which leads to hours on the phone and problem that never gets resolved. I have spent far too much money on this game along with several others and it continues to deteriorate. I have had reps get tired of speaking in regards to a subject simply disconnect and it just happens to be the same employee every time to several other people coz I'm assuming he is bored! Smh.

I started using imvu in 2013. It was fine at the beginning. I bought my name, became a vip, made some friends there. I had always been happy to be on this game even it got my laptop and pc worked slowly. I told my friends to join this "game" because it was fun. I was away from imvu for almost six months (sept 2014-march 2015) because I had to deal with school and etc. I came back onto this game in the middle of March 2015, many things had changed. No free room slots, higher price, and etc. It was again still fine to me. I kept buying credits for $30 each months from March to June by using MOLPoints and my phone credits. I had never signed any offers since. Hey I have the money and it's not like those free offers available in my region. Offers has never been available in my country.

But after three months of my came back (June 11th, 2015) I suddenly got a permanent banned. Like wow. How even? I filled the ticket, wishing they would admit they have made an error, but in reply their CS said that "I'm associated with a ring of users who abused their TOS for free credits." I replied to this and attached the notification emails from IMVU whenever I got the credits I purchased. (You would get an email whenever you get credits, no matter it's free or paid. That's why I sent them those to show that I never got any free credits on that account.) Four days after their CS replied, and I gotta give another wow. Now they said "we have proofs that you abused our TOS for free credits and offers." WOW. Again I replied to this and ask them to trace my transaction or activities on the account.

There's still no answer until today. It's been another five days since I replied them with another proofs of my purchase and my question on how the reason of my banning could change from "associated with some criminal" to be "the criminal itself". I'm mad, upset and angry at IMVU. Their bad service, unfair banning, and the slow response of their CS. Most of the answer of their CS are also copy pasted. If you're thinking about making an IMVU account, I would love to suggest you not to. This company doesn't care about their customers at all. They only want you to make more accounts, waste more of your money on them.

Imvu has taken many things from creator and customer alike over the years. From the brief voice option so many years ago, to the random disabling of Imvu accounts for excuse me-**-reasons. Imvu has now implemented a "new" way of earning money and credits. At first, I thought this was a good idea, but after realizing they were shutting down the resellers? NO WAY. I buy all my credits from resellers because frankly Imvu's prices are through the roof and I can't afford their prices. i.e: Reseller: 2.45 for 5k. Imvu: 5.00 for 5k. The basis of most outfits alone bought in shop costing about 10-30k. That's 30 dollars of my money.

Imvu has become a monopoly, and has stripped their consumers of the right to choose. Money makes Imvu run, and money is all that matters to them. It's an awful site for their customer support and care, and for them listening to the people. While the gameplay is fun and the virtual content high-end compared to other games,(i.e secondlife) I will not continue to use Imvu until this problem is fixed. I will not purchase any credits/items until this problem is solved.

First let me start by saying a lot of people debate whether or not IMVU is a game or online chat site. The reality is it really depends on the type of public or private room you end up in as some people are themselves, some pretend to be themselves while hiding their real gender and/or age and some people use it to role play and are in character. With some of the "characters" out there you'd better hope that you enjoy online cyber or know enough to say no and leave the room.

You sign up agreeing to the TOS or Terms of Service which clearly states that you are agreeing to it, however they also have the right to change it at any time which they too. As a user once you start paying money for services such as: using real money to purchase credits which can now only be done through IMVU, purchasing your name without guest, AP (an adult pass), VIP (special perks that other users don't get), etc that they can change any of these without notice and as long as it is in accordance to the TOS there is nothing a user can do about it because you signed/agreed to the TOS. Purchases such as clothing, furniture etc. can be changed by the person who made it or IMVU with little to no chances at being able to get their credits back.

Age appropriate everything. Though IMVU claims that it is a family friendly site allowing users as young as 15 to use it the company does a very poor job at maintaining what I would consider family friendly rooms. Users can purchase outfits under the GA section that hardly cover any part of the avi's body and seeing as the minimum coverage guidelines for females is only of the breasts, and of the buttocks it isn't as though there is much less to cover. However users can get access to skins and clothing that allow avis to walk naked with a GA status and do not remove the products. Worse yet is the difficulties users have to go through in order to flag products once they have been hidden from the catalogue or voted incorrectly by others who did peer review (a subject I'll address shortly).

There are rooms that are GA that are clubs where there are products that simulate sexual acts or are brothels, dungeons, clubs what have you, that most countries wouldn't allow minors to enter, yet they stay up or users have to go through very long and involved processes to see them taken down. In my case it took over 2 weeks and finding someone who worked for imvu outside of the filing a help ticket process. Worse yet is that people who do put up these sorts or rooms or make products can only get a 2 week ban and then do it all over again until the next time they are caught and reported.

Peer Review is the wonderful system that IMVU has set up to regulate what goes into their catalogue. So general users and creators get to decide what goes into the catalogue and only a staff member who looks at a product after it has already gone through has the ability to rerate a product or consider it UFI. The flaw of course is that staff can only do that if it is flagged and chances are if a user knowingly knows that does not meet the TOS won't give a link to the actual product for someone to flag it unless they trust the other person to get access to the product number in order to flag it.

I have never been able to file a help ticket with their customer service where they didn't say they couldn't do anything and I needed to flag it myself. Thus I find the entire process flawed and kids wearing things that shouldn't be worn outside of the bedroom or brothel in public rooms accessible to minors. So IMVU lets those who can/do break the rules and users who might not otherwise report a product to decide what goes in it.

Customer service. If you like copy/paste methods of getting help it isn't bad and only if you don't mind waiting days or weeks for a response. As well I've never encountered so many mistakes to include the following that I have gone through: I reported a person who came into my room asking me for sex - my account was banned for 2 weeks (this was fixed after 5 days when I filed a help ticket after the 2nd day). My peer review privileges were revoked along with many others (they discovered that some creators had found a way to hide the triggers for products so people doing peer review had no way of knowing there were UFI triggers attached). I requested assistance in getting products flagged because they were hidden only to be told there was nothing they could do about it (2 of the products in questions were rooms that had nothing but sexual positions in them). There were others but I'm sure most people get the general idea.

The biggest issue for me where IMVU is concerned is their lack of accountability. There are obvious game meshes that have been ripped from video games and their response is that unless the companies involved are the ones to make the complaints or requests for removal that the products will stay up, thus allowing the person and imvu to make real money off of another's work. Users who accidentally create products off these meshes can't even request to get their money back that they paid for making a product off it and having what they made removed when requested.

Having the ToS in place but not enforcing it for all users as there are many products that don't follow the guidelines for GA and should be AP which stay up even when they are flagged. Saying that they are complying with the copyright laws with music where you can only purchase it through the proper channels and yet still allow trigger products and other ways users have found to get around the rules. And again, I'm sorry their customer service and the fact they do not want users bringing up their complaints and issues in the forums, pulse and site or users fear getting banned or their account taken away. So for some users it's great. For other people who have scruples, not so much. There are other programs that are free that are much better if you want to meet people with similar interests.

Imvu.com Company Profile