Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.41/5

Hulu Reviews

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Hulu is great and the best tv I ever had with clear picture and no buffering. And my wife makes me keep it ‘cause it has Golden Girls, SLR, Designing Women, HGTV, Food Channel. I could watch Netflix and Youtube on my phone data but hulu you can’t. It requires an 8. Netflix only requires a 2 or 4. So I went with Comcast 25 MBPS internet plan. Don't buy their cable ‘cause it doubles after a year. A lot of comments on here about error messages and buffering is because you don’t have enough internet speed. I am a for real reviewer. I am concerned about hulu taking people money by accident and not returning it. That is stealing and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

To start, I think the catch with this is not specifying the problem you are having, in order to try to fix it, in the same time period you decide you want to cancel the subscription (and if you purchased it recently enough, even have it refunded). I decided to test out Hulu yesterday and paid for a subscription, but immediately when I first went to watch any videos, and even one I tried to load today, there were so many ads. I had to turn my ad-blocker on because I had toggled it off before that, but for a paid subscription, they still showed ads. I know they're considered commercials, but the fact that my ad-blocker skipped through them for me implies they still give enough information to the ad-blocker to know how to skip through it...aka block it.

Today, all day, they have had errors with an update for many many people apparently, and I was affected too. I likely would have tried Hulu for more than 36 hours had this not occurred. The catch is, since I decided to simply cancel the subscription, and after seeing it only cancelled recurring subscriptions, contacted support, I was able to see about completely cancelling the account and even getting a refund due to how short a time I had tried the service as paid.

The customer support person I spoke with had no issue with it, didn't try to bribe me into keeping the subscription, and just made sure to clarify a few things to make sure my account hadn't been stolen and that I was sure about the decision. (Specifically: "To do this, can you tell me your email and your billing zipcode?" and "Just to confirm, are you sure about closing the account?") This service has been the easiest service I've ever tried with the customer support. Other reviews say otherwise, but for context, my request for the support chat was specifically directed at fully cancelling and refunding the account and subscription.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I use my laptop to watch everything, I no longer have a working TV. I like the fact a lot of what I watch is on Hulu and I also have HBO through them. Even with my gripes I most likely will continue to use Hulu. The new interface on Hulu is terrible, my TV shows are not aligned properly, the series I continue to watch are not grouped together and I have to look down my long list to see if there is a show to watch if I watched. At times it says I watched yet says I have x amount I did not watch, when I am actually up to date.

I have called them a few times and they are aware of the problem but it's never fixed and it's been about a year maybe longer. I have it set so it doesn't go to the next show, it tends to show me programs I have already seen and I am up to date on shows and movies not on my list. If you have an old pc and or your internet is slow, you will have problems watching. It seems their standards are higher than other platforms like Netflix.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I’m reading these reviews stating they are still getting ads on their no ad subscription. If people take the time to research the product they are buying Hulu clearly states some series will have limited ads. I have watched a ton of shows and still have not come across one with ads. Obviously if you are watching a show live with Hulu live there are going to be ads, realistically how could there not be ads. I am not swayed by the poor reviews because by researching any product, you know what you are getting. Paying around $50 a month is much cheaper than what cable or DirecTV charge! Very happy with Hulu no ads. Will be upgrading to live soon.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My situation is unique that I receive Xfinity with my HOA but I did not want cords all over my house. So I chose Hulu with most of the bells and whistles for $64 per month. It served it's purpose because most channel apps did not link with Xfinity. Two years later Xfinity has its own app and most channel with their independent app do link now. So Hulu is no longer cost effective for my home. Keep in mind that when you sign up for commercial free with Hulu; very few shows are commercial free and DVR shows you have to fast forward through them. If you don't have cable then Hulu is an excellent service.

If you have their live TV add on you can use them as a TV provider for a lot of channel apps. If you do have cable it's not worth the cost. Xfinity's app does not count against your usage on the wifi (if you have Xfinity as your internet provider). If you use Hulu and have 4 adults you will need to pay extra for unlimited streaming with your WiFi service. I highly recommend Hulu for anyone who does not have cable. But if you have cable and just don't want the cords, just use the independent apps. I cancelled Hulu, Netflix, and CBS all access and am saving almost $100 per month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

We paid almost 100 dollars a month to watch television with no ads, but the ads were excessive to the point where myself and my family just could not take it anymore. It did not matter if we were watching on demand or live it was just crazy. We figured it out, it was like 20 minutes of ads and 10 minutes of show. I was so disappointed. Shame on you Hulu.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Years ago, I joined Hulu when it was free. Now I joined the Hulu Base Plan to watch shows airing the next day, on demand. So I searched for episodes of my favorite show, "Castle". Hulu with Live TV was the only option to view "Castle"! I called Hulu about it and was told I had to put my complaint on their public message board.

Are they kidding? Hulu is forcing Base Plan viewers to upgrade to Hulu with Live TV to watch reruns of "Castle"? "Castle" stopped being produced about 4 years ago. It only airs on cable and broadcast TV as reruns and is no longer live! BTW, someone responded on Hulu's message board saying Hulu can only air "Castle" from Hulu with Live TV! This makes no sense! What a turn-off!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I canceled my subscription with Hulu (or so I thought) about a week ago, I got paid today so I go on my bank app and notice a charge from Hulu.... I recently went through a headache with another company charging me after canceling and don't feel like dealing with it AGAIN for the sake of my sanity so next best thing was to review Hulu and warn others about my experience. If you want to cancel, cancel on their website and talk to someone on chat or call to make sure it's 100% canceled. A sad world we live in where companies only care about our money and do everything in their power to get at it.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Pretty happy overall but I use the HULU Live TV to watch CNBC during market hours. The feed is about 45 seconds behind general live cable TV... which is a problem with trading. The video often freezes and I have to close / reopen the app several times a day. OK for just TV watching once in a while, but for a serious enthusiast - not recommended.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Hulu wouldn't let me login. I paid for the trial membership, and it refused to take my password each time I tried to login. So I had to cancel before even watching the show I joined it to watch, The Good Place.

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout