3.44/5
Based on 79 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Hulu

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 12, 2018

79 Hulu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I had a Hulu account free trial and three days ago. I had a problem watching a show that I watched for 5 episodes. I called Hulu and said I had been hacked by a foreign agent. I called CenturyLink and they said I had not been hacked but Hulu had. I call Hulu again and the wanted me to go to a repair site and pay for them to fix my computer as all of my info had been compromised. They said it would cost me $100 to $500 to fix the problem. Just like Equifax. HELP!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Hulu used to be a great service but since they have started live TV service, they are almost always not functioning correctly. Shows rebuffer or won't respond all the time. And today, I log in and it immediately logs me out, all day. DON'T JOIN!! My family, in another house and with another account is having the same issue.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My sister and I have purchased Hulu, Netflix and Prime while using an antenna for all our local channels. This was due to the railing cost of cable and satellite. Hulu's streaming has steadily gotten worse. Every 2 to 3 minutes on most days Hulu has a problem with buffering. It takes forever to watch one single episode of a show. With all the complaints that seemingly are the same it seems to me they should have the problem fixed by now. I hope they can get it worked out soon. I would hate for dozens, even hundreds, to cancel their subscriptions. They carry a lot of shows I can't see on other networks. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

It doesn't seem to matter what device I am using or where I am, but I ALWAYS have issues with Hulu buffering. I have used Hulu in various places with different internet providers on phones, tablets, Blu ray player, laptop, game console, etc. And no matter place or device, I rarely am able to watch more than one episode of any show because it takes so much longer to play. A 38 min episode will take at least 47 min to play because of buffering. Also, even though you pay a monthly fee you still have to wait for commercials on top of all the buffering. I don't ever have these issues with Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. It sucks because a lot of Hulu originals are really good.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

No matter how many times I contact customer service - the same problems with delivery of streaming content persist. The fact that I do not have the same problems with other streaming subscriptions - ever - tells me that Hulu just doesn't care. As other reviewers have stated - fat chance of watching very much of anything in a successive manner - the content just stops loading. Shame on Hulu for having such a low quality product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Every time I try to watch a series it will stop at 1 second and will not continue. I must exit Hulu completely then go back into it and find what I was watching all over again. The first person I spoke to said there was nothing they could do. The second call said he could reimburse me but that's not the problem. I asked to speak to a manager and they disconnected me after my second hour of waiting. Third call been holding for 45 minutes so far and still on hold.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Are they putting the money in their pocket and doing nothing to upgrade infrastructure? The same terrible service has been going on and on and they've just continued to limp along for more than a decade now like this. They can't offer solutions or any help, just terrible service again and again. I'm done with throwing money at a company that has proven SO inept and incapable of fixing problems. I spend more time fiddling with the controller and trying to get Hulu to respond (once a movie starts, forget trying to stop it, and nevermind trying to watch a series and go from episode to episode without intervention of 15 minutes). It's ridiculous and I just want to punch a Hulu executive square in the mouth!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

The streaming was terrible. The watched program was either rebuffing or unavailable at this time. I had a direct wire into the modem but still no programming. It got worse and worse, and Hulu could not help. I had to cancel subscription although Hulu had many more movies than Netflix, which were easier accessible.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Getting better than use to be but wish there was more updated choices. I think they should make it easier to find movies better. HATE having to type in information in the format that is currently in use.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Hulu is not very flexible regarding attracting new customers. Years ago when I was working 18 hour days sometimes 7 day weeks (only 10 hours on weekends) I'd signed up for a 2 week trial. I never used it, not once. When they offered a 30 day trial, my life had changed dramatically and I was heading for SSDI & much older. I asked to use the then-current promotion via Groupon (?) and Hulu flat out refused. They offered a 1 wk. trial. It takes me a week to decide which day I will go grocery shopping... I practically begged them to allow me to test them and see, using the 30 day promo (I knew I'd join) but they refused. Thus, I took advantage of Amazon Prime Fire TV, bought the stick, 2 years later took advantage of Prime's 1 mo. free Netflix promo and am now a member of Netflix. That's as much paid TV I want to spend.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

It cost way too much to have to tolerate commercials when watching programs. They need to offer the option to endure all the commercials before watching, so there are no interruptions when you do watch.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Hulu freezes up. We watch Hulu every evening and it will freeze up at least 3 times during the evening. It usually happens during commercials. Contacted Hulu. They claim they do not have a fix.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

So far Hulu has been pretty good. I kinda enjoy the way they bring in the new movies and the primetime shows. I am still learning about Hulu so the more I play with it and pull up different shows the more I like. I just want them to try and get the newer movies in a more timely manner. Right now it's all good and hunky-dory for me and the family.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Where to begin... Well Hulu has made me so angry as a customer. I have had Hulu off and on the past 2 years. On 12/22/17 me and my girlfriend decide to obtain a subscription to watch some of the shows that we use to watch when we had Hulu earlier this year, like Blank Ink Crew or Love and Hip-Hop. All of those shows are gone. They only have like 3-4 shows under the VH1 network and its really old shows like Flavor of Love or New York Show (the girl from Flavor of Love). Not only VH1 but most networks on Hulu provide very little options.

My manager at my job informed me that Hulu now has live TV which explains everything. I don't want live TV. Bring the shows back. People when I mean there's hardly any options I can go as far to say that there's honestly no reason to even have this app, there's nothing there... Combining all the networks I can guarantee you there's less than 100 shows to choose from that's horrible and then they has these very old crusty movies that isn't interesting to anyone human being 40 and under. No one wants to watch a movie created in 1986. Hulu had something going in the past but now, Hulu has turned into a savage, it's no longer about the customer. It's about how fat can they make their pockets.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Love everything about Hulu except that it always gets hung up when the commercials play. I can't afford to pay the price of commercial free viewing.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I love that Hulu has the latest episodes of all the shows available almost immediately. What I don't like is sitting through the commercials and not even having the option to fast forward through them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I tried Hulu early in its conception, but never seemed to connect to it idea of "same as Netflix" services. So why have both? It seemed that the movies that were offered, were just like the other services, so again why have both? It seemed that Hulu has higher prices for less of a choice. I tried one month, didn't like it. Maybe if Hulu reached out again with something different, I might try them again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Hulu is great! All videos upload fast and I love having the wide variety and enjoy the videos made exclusively for Hulu. Just a wonderful experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

There is not a lot of different shows, ** shows are far and between, both current and past shows, I will be canceling their services and the reasons why I picked Netflix's was to lower my cable bill and I thought I would have had more choices when it comes to watching shows.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

A lot of junk propaganda that left coast produces these day make Hulu not worth anyone's time or money and not enough conservative programming is available.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The English subtitles for every program I've watched so far do not match the actual dialogue. I'm not all that hard of hearing so I know when the spoken dialogue and the written translation do not match up -- and they don't match up A LOT. Irritating as H.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I like using Hulu, and since my brother pays for it, I love the price! The only problem I have is that sometimes you can't stream because of "outside forces" which really isn't Hulu's fault.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

The older tv shows are missing episodes and sometimes full seasons. I've seen series that start with episode 3 and then jump to episode 5 or 6 with the others missing. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I like Hulu. I can find something really quick. I Don't like the commercials but I don't want to pay more to get rid of the commercials. It needs more movies to choose from. I would prefer to have all the sequels to the movies and it doesn't make sense to only have one.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Time it seems episode were repeats of the same event from the daily daytime pilots and I called to have tech to fix it. I spoken to a answer service that would relay the issue.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I don't have cable television, but Hulu has almost any show I would want to watch. The network shows are shown one day after airing, but the popular Bravo shows are a season behind, so that's the downside.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I love the fact that I can cut the cord from expensive cable and I can keep up on General Hospital which I have been watching since 1978. The variety of programming is great.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

One thing about Hulu that's better than Netflix they have boobies. I know what I'm renting. I can look it up easy. They have a lot of 80s teen comedies that I grew up with and I enjoyed Netflix not so much and you have to guess what you're watching on Netflix as far as boobies.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Hulu has a mixture of TV shows and movies. Being older, I love the oldies shows but I also like some of the new shows too. Movies are well organized into genres so I can find what I'm in the mood to watch. Sure beats paying for Cable TV.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Hulu is very easy to use and I love the price, I like that I don't have to deal with such high cable bills... such a waste of money!!! If you want to pay for new stuff it is set up so you can do that!!! I love, love it and it saves me so much money!!!

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hulu Company Information

www.hulu.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use