1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

161 Hulu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Buyer beware if you already have Hulu and decide to try the Free Trial - we didn't like the Hulu Live and when we tried to cancel just that portion we were told we had to cancel our entire Hulu service and then establish just the basic no commercials Hulu. What? Why? We are now considering not subscribing to Hulu at all. Nowhere did it mention this when we signed up.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have the package that has some commercials. I understand you get what you pay for, but it's the same commercials over and over and over again. They seriously need to switch it up. Also, they have some TV shows I like but not all the seasons. For instance, Alaskan Bush People, only has 2 seasons. If you are going to have a show have all the seasons.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Streaming quality is generally good but no support when it's not. I have 250 Mbps at the box and Hulu requires 3-7 Mbps but Hulu support told me I needed to have the WIFI in the same room with no other devices connected to it. The time for any given channel at any given time has been 5 minutes to 3 hours behind, i.e. you may want to watch the game that started at 8 PM but that channel is at 5 PM so can only watch the game that already ended. Not really "live".

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I signed up for Hulu when they had their Thanksgiving Special of .99 cents for one year. It was advertised as having "Limited Commercials". I started to binge watch one of my favorite old TV shows "Roswell" which had 3 seasons. Their idea of "limited commercials" is a joke. There is a commercial before the show starts, at least 4 during the show and one before the end credits. That's 6 commercials in one 44 minute show. Each commercial break has an average of 5 advertisements. This is ridiculous. If the price had been more I would have cancelled immediately. I would never pay full price for this junk. Luckily there is a new streaming channel on my Roku that has Roswell (Dust). They have not finished loading all 3 seasons yet but have assured me (via email) that all will be loaded by the Christmas holidays. I'm going to wait and watch it there (they had no commercials).

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Hulu promoted a Black Friday deal $0.99 per month for 12 months. The deal was so great that their servers crashed on account of the general public interest. I contacted customer support on Black Friday via their customer chat online and was advised by a representative to simply try back in an hour. I tried back multiple different times to no avail. Called customer service today and was told there was nothing to be done out of luck. Very disappointing as I would have been a new customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Hulu's website has you enter your zip code to show you the available channels that you will see. The trial they provide gives you the channels according to your billing zip code. However, after the trial period Hulu will switch your Live channels to a different city and claim that it's due to your Internet Provider's address. The problem with this is that what they have switched me to does not even have ABC as a channel option and about 1/2 of the channels that I had during the trial period. Why would I pay for Live TV if I cannot have all of the major channels? I have talked with Hulu support who say there is nothing that can be done if my Internet Provider has an address in a different city.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been strictly streaming my content for a couple years now. I haven't had Hulu until today. I am going to use the time that I've already paid for this month to view shows that may be worth watching and then try to find another way to watch them, even if it is more expensive. The benefit of streaming comes primarily from the lack of commercials, as is the benefit of paid online content. Signing up for the limited commercial membership on Hulu is just as intrusive to the experience of watching an hour-long TV show as it is when watching on network TV.

In my mind, limited commercials would mean three to four 90 second or less commercial breaks. Yet, commercials are occurring just as often and more repetitively than if I were watching on a network channel. I am very disappointed, and canceling my subscription immediately. Even though the service has good content, it is not worth paying to have this amount of commercial breaks. If it were less, I would consider it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We signed up for the free trial about two weeks ago and they came out with this .99 cents a month for a year deal on Black Friday. However, we are not eligible and nor are any of their other members. It's only for people who have never used Hulu before. Which is ridiculous and appalling because you aren't technically a member to anything until you start paying for a service. Not only that but they are showing that they have no consideration for their members at all. I can only imagine if they come out with a deal better than their 39.99 Hulu with TV On Demand I would be pissed as a member not being allowed to switch my plan to that new one because I was a current member. I do NOT recommend HULU to anyone! I wouldn't even recommend it to my worst enemy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My Hulu bill is due today so my account is on hold. I don't get paid for 2 more days. Hulu lied to me, saying they would make my account pending cancellation so that I can continue watching things on Hulu until I get paid and can make a payment. That was not true. They also refuse to work with me at all so that I can continue watching Hulu until I get paid in 2 days. They are lying jerks and I'm looking into alternative to Hulu because of their extremely poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We got Hulu about 3 months ago. We were hoping for an additional viewing besides Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. Unfortunately Hulu is just horrible! Long loads, longer commercial breaks. We did upgrade at first but the long loading and disconnect issues didn't seem worth it. So we switched to basic. My kids have a few shows on Hulu so let them deal with the unable to load & commercials. My kids hate Hulu but like their shows. My favorite is when we hear them yell at the TV when their show is at the end and it stops and disconnect. They have to start the movie or show over and fast forward to the last few minutes... Netflix, Amazon and Vudu don't disconnect like Hulu... My wife and I stick with the others. We will discontinue Hulu after this month. There's a reason they have a horrible rating. Just horrible!!!

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout