1.92/5

130 Hulu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My experience has been identical to many others, so I'll keep it brief. Big fan of Hulu for many years. Loved the TV series offerings, lots of recent content, no over-hyped "made for Hulu" movies. Started way back when the service was free. Decided to cut the cable and got the full boat Hulu Live subscription. Horrible experience. Incessant login issues, error messages when loading episodes. It's unbearable. I'm done. Cancelling and moving on.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have been a subscriber for nearly 4 years. In the last few weeks, HULU has been unwatchable. The video refuses to stream and I get an error message. Who needs this? You're providing a service to your customers. Either provide it or you will lose them. If this isn't fixed in a few days, I'll be going elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been a user of Hulu for over 10 years (meaning I went from it being free to being subscription based). I have always found the content to be varying and can usually watch all of my favorite shows next day on the app or website. Recently with the new update things have gotten annoyingly complicated. In the "Keep Watching" section of the site my shows do not update to reflect the newest episode, and there is not a way to get to the new episode from there. Instead I now have to search for the show and then click episodes to get the new updated episode. I cannot remove shows as easily from my "keep watching" list as I did before.

Everything seems to take a few extra steps when previously it was quick and simple to get what I wanted/needed. I am not one to be nitpicky but I have little time to actually watch the shows I love so the quicker I can get from one thing to the next, the better. I love everything else about the site but this has literally gotten so annoying I had to review at only two stars because in my opinion an update should make things better or easier not more complicated.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I've had Hulu for several years now, and want to write a review based on several factors of the service including content, website usability, communication and transparency, and performance. Content: When I began using Hulu, it had a very limited content selection. However, over the past few years, Hulu's acquisition of NBC content along with their seemingly turn-taking with Netflix shared content, the base of available (and desirable) programming has greatly expanded. Recently, they have done a very good job at providing both original programming, live features, and desirable delivery of current content that has lent for a higher quality of customer satisfaction.

Website Usability: Hulu recently changed the format of their website, and while it looks nice, it is somewhat difficult to distinguish between TV shows and movies that you actually WANT to watch and have listed from TV shows and movies that they think you want to watch. I don't know about most subscribers, but I when I'm just browsing for something new to watch, Hulu is definitely not the place I go. Additionally, every time I have tried to utilize the "help" or "support" features, including the "chat bot", I have had issues with crashing or simply bad coding that is never resolved. Communication and Transparency: Hulu definitely hit the nail on the head with their newest marketing slogan of "We're about to ruin TV for you". Over the past month, I have already had 4 occasions where the site itself wouldn't load. After some aggressive googling, I was able to find a Twitter feed (I don't even use Twitter) that mentioned an issue to their customers.

Hulu NEEDS to communicate with their clientele who are paying over 150 a year for "on demand" streaming services. A simple message on the website letting their users know when (not even if at this point) the site is down, and when it can be expected to come back up. It almost seems as though the company is trying to hide when the service isn't working. Thanks to websites that log user input on when sites are down, it is fairly easy to determine when Hulu has dropped the ball - which happens too frequently for my liking.

Performance: I have no major issues with Hulu's performance, however I would like for the service to be able to better keep track of the time a video is turned off or interrupted. The quality is fairly consistent, however when I do encounter problems and have to restart the video, it normally goes back a good several minutes from where I was watching. When I'm watching a 22 minute long program, I don't want to re-watch 9 minutes of content when I have to start re-streaming the video several times.

Bottom line: Hulu is an alright streaming service, but leaves its customers wanting when compared to other streaming giants such as Netflix that maintain customer communication, consistent services, and actually work when you want to watch them. It needs to get its act together before it actually "ruins TV" for the service itself.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have been a Hulu subscriber for years. Ever since they updated their system, it has crashed nationwide TWICE in TWO DAYS. This past week has been horrible. I have been having CONSTANT DAILY ISSUES. Every time I would contact Hulu Support they would tell me to do troubleshooting and when that didn’t work they told me it had to be my internet connection. I’ve contacted them 5/7 days this past week and have been told the same things. They won’t fix the problem that is CLEARLY theirs. Their system crashed the first time they TEMPORARILY fixed it. Less than 2 days later it crashed again! All while they keep telling me the problems I’ve been having is on my end, just to find out MANY MANY people are having the same problems I am.

Horrible company with horrible customer service! Not to mention, when these two crashes did happen they WON'T UPDATE ANY CUSTOMERS ON SOCIAL MEDIA, AND THEY DON'T LET YOU CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY. They won’t update anyone until their problem is TEMPORARILY fixed. It is ** and not how PAYING customer deserve to be treated!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Although I've loved Hulu for years, the experience has really went downhill lately. I paid with my debit card for September 2018, then my bank statement showed I'd been charged twice. I contacted Hulu, the cs agent apologized and said she'd authorize a refund. She also said she'd authorize a free month, no payment due in October 2018. So I was really happy with arrangement. But now it's 3 weeks later, no refund and my account with Hulu says my next payment is due September 29, 2018. And I've not gotten my refund either. I just chatted with another cs agent, he said problem with refund is Roku's fault, he also wouldn't even address the free month issue, he just acted like I'd never mentioned it, even after I referred to it a third time! So now,I'm done. I'll try Sling TV, it's same cost as Hulu with live tv. Only more channels.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I can handle the commercials, bring it on, what I cannot handle is the constant changing of the User Interface. I rely on what I have already watched, I rely on my "watch list" to tell me what is NEW. I rely on the comments that were below what I am watching. I find them helpful. I rely on getting the product I paid for. So WTH is with this new UI design. I have read so many different reviews on different websites, all negative and unhappy customers. We are all not just whining. We are your paying customers and you are actually going to drive us all away. Get hip HULU, give us a more useful and interactive UI. Bring back all you have taken from us. Hulu might think they have their subscribers over a barrel. But when a lot of us use Facebook and have over 3000 on their friends list. One bad review posted can reach a multitude of people, plus friends of friends, heck the post should be made PUBLIC. :)

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I don't know what the Sam hill y'all are thinking over there. We complained when you took away the queue and gave us the watchlist. Now you really away the watchlist? WTH Hulu? If I wanted a Netflix experience, I'd go to effing Netflix. What made Hulu unique was one, newer shows updated more quickly, and the damn queue. It made it easier to see what new episodes had posted and when and if they were expiring. Why is it Everytime you guys do an update, you make the experience worse. STOP DOING UPDATES, YOU CLEARLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT RIGHT!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My local channels keep changing. I contacted Hulu and they explained that CenturyLink keeps changing my IP which changes which local channels I receive. They are handling the problem. Very good experience. Customer service at Hulu wants the customer to be happy. Maybe CenturyLink should learn from them as they (CenturyLink) have no concern for its customers. Hulu spent over an hour trying to get around the CenturyLink block. They are now escalating this issue up.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Hulu used to work fantastically but a couple of months ago they changed something to where your Blu-ray disc would no longer support their service! I ended up having to replace all my blu rays with Smart TVs only to find now their service is only supported by certain televisions with certain speeds. I also have Netflix which I have no problem with but I'm regularly calling Hulu to try to get the service to work and have had no consistency with it whatsoever. If the problem isn't resolved the only choice will be to cancel Hulu as it is too limited as to what brands and what products it will support.

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout