Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

Hulu Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2020

When I first started streaming I was set up with Sling, which I wasn't impressed with especially when I switched to Hulu. I couldn't believe the difference. I made the switch thanks to a neighbor who was willing to split the cost of the service & the internet with me, which by the way I have to throw in HUGE KUDOS for CenturyLink even though that's not what we're reviewing but back to hulu, the cost itself for live hulu was cheaper than sling, even without splitting the bills & the HUGE variety of channels, movies & on demand can't even compare.

The couple of times I needed customer service, more because I'm a little technologically challenged, lol, they helped me in a second. Unlike sling, where it took me 4 times to cancel my service, even though I had the paperwork & a confirmation # that I had ended my service, I had to go thru this a total of 4 times, being billed even after the proof the 1st go around & trying to get a live person let alone finding a # for customer service was impossible. Don't even waste your time or money, take hulu from the get-go & sorry cause know we're not reviewing CenturyLink but I have to mention them again for their amazing price & customer service & if you want the best package, throw in a Roku tv & you'll NEVER want to leave the house, which is probably a good thing nowadays, unfortunately. 1 very HAPPY technologically challenged streaming girl done.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I had a problem with my student discount through Spotify for the deal with Hulu, Showtime and Spotify and since Spotify doesn't have a customer service hotline I called Hulu and Jason was my representative and was amazing! It ended up being a problem with Spotify because I was already part of a premium family plan, but he stayed on the line with me when he connected me with a Spotify representative to make sure I was taken care of and the problem was solved. He stayed on the phone with me for forty minutes and was absolutely fantastic and understanding of my situation! Thank you so much, Jason!

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

In the past 6 months I've used Hulu, Fubo, Sling, ATT DirecTV, Amazon Prime and Roku. Amazon Prime streaming service is just a bonus on top of the other benefits of Prime. The streaming is flawless and lots of great content. I give Prime 5 stars and I will be keeping it. But I also want live TV, College football games, and cable news shows. For that I will be keeping Hulu because the user interface and user experience is far better than the other 3 streaming services I've tried.

And now a word on Roku. Roku gives access to content but it is primarily a streaming device that also provides a place to consolidate and manage all your content providers. Maybe it is just my device but it sucks. Constant audio buffering and drop-out. When I plug my TV HDMI into my laptop the problem goes away so it is not a problem with my WiFi, it is definitely a problem with the Roku device that I recently purchased new. My advice is use a laptop or tablet with a HDMI port to connect to your TV or use a device you already own to cast the streaming signal to your smart TV.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Hulu is great and the best tv I ever had with clear picture and no buffering. And my wife makes me keep it ‘cause it has Golden Girls, SLR, Designing Women, HGTV, Food Channel. I could watch Netflix and Youtube on my phone data but hulu you can’t. It requires an 8. Netflix only requires a 2 or 4. So I went with Comcast 25 MBPS internet plan. Don't buy their cable ‘cause it doubles after a year. A lot of comments on here about error messages and buffering is because you don’t have enough internet speed. I am a for real reviewer. I am concerned about hulu taking people money by accident and not returning it. That is stealing and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

To start, I think the catch with this is not specifying the problem you are having, in order to try to fix it, in the same time period you decide you want to cancel the subscription (and if you purchased it recently enough, even have it refunded). I decided to test out Hulu yesterday and paid for a subscription, but immediately when I first went to watch any videos, and even one I tried to load today, there were so many ads. I had to turn my ad-blocker on because I had toggled it off before that, but for a paid subscription, they still showed ads. I know they're considered commercials, but the fact that my ad-blocker skipped through them for me implies they still give enough information to the ad-blocker to know how to skip through it...aka block it.

Today, all day, they have had errors with an update for many many people apparently, and I was affected too. I likely would have tried Hulu for more than 36 hours had this not occurred. The catch is, since I decided to simply cancel the subscription, and after seeing it only cancelled recurring subscriptions, contacted support, I was able to see about completely cancelling the account and even getting a refund due to how short a time I had tried the service as paid.

The customer support person I spoke with had no issue with it, didn't try to bribe me into keeping the subscription, and just made sure to clarify a few things to make sure my account hadn't been stolen and that I was sure about the decision. (Specifically: "To do this, can you tell me your email and your billing zipcode?" and "Just to confirm, are you sure about closing the account?") This service has been the easiest service I've ever tried with the customer support. Other reviews say otherwise, but for context, my request for the support chat was specifically directed at fully cancelling and refunding the account and subscription.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: June 27, 2020

So I've had Hulu for about a year. I could put up with having to call them occasionally to find out how to reset everything, which I now have written down in case I need to again. Annoying but that's how that goes. But what takes the cake is them suddenly cancelling my tv subscription for no reason at all. It's all been paid, there was no reason for this. Contacted them and still no better. They'll probably try to keep charging while giving me nothing, we'll have to see. Who knows how many times I'll have to call them to try to get this fixed. Completely incompetent. I've never had any tv company do this. Worthless company that just wants to rip you off and give you nothing. This is how they treat loyal customers. Just awful.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I cant upgrade my Hulu to add free without canceling the bundle I have with Spotify. It's a real pain in the **. I understand it's done to get people looking at those ads but why cant I just cough up a few more bucks a month so I can actually enjoy the service and be able to download movies for offline.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Overall a good service that provides network/local programming. It isn't consumer friendly for easy surfing through programming. It has occasional issues time since that causes frustration but most services have the same issue. Seems to work better with Roku and fire stick than just a standard smart tv.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I do not like the way the membership is broke up into tiers for what you can watch. I also do not feel that there are enough clean family friendly options, though to be fair most streaming services are unbalanced in that area.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Great service and LOVE the no commercials option! I would like to see an “inspirational category for those kind of options...if there are enough of them available in Hulu. It could use a few more movies. TV show options are varied as are kid options.

Hulu author review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team