3.9/5 (1350 ratings)

About Hulu

Hulu Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: March 15, 2022

I did not realize a smart tv with the Hulu app also had to have a streaming device like a Roku stick. I had to buy the Roku before watching live tv. Also please pick up the ION network for your line-up.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Hulu has some of the best variety of TV shows available. They seem to be updating fairly recently plus you can watch a good amount shows currently on air and including prior seasons. Their movie selection is also pretty good - though that doesn't seem to be the focus.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I have Streaming TV thru Verizon and the programing is very reasonable which includes Disney+ and Discovery+ for 1 years free. After the 1st. Year it's less than $7.00 a month each. Programing is VAST and I set up my LG 60 Cell Phone with screen share on my 55 inch LG 4k LED TV.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Hulu is an affordable streaming service that offers access to both next day network TV show releases, amazing original series that I’m addicted to, and original movies. They also offer a huge catalog of previously released TV shows and movies. This service is now a must-have for me and I incorporate it along with satellite network TV and other streaming apps each week. For the price I think Hulu is one of the top most valuable streaming apps on par with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I love streaming. It's low cost and has plenty of programming. We watch every day and I never have to worry about missing my favorite programs. I love streaming movies in the comfort of my own home. I would recommend Netflix and Hulu to everyone.

Original review: June 19, 2022

The sound for the ads are three times the sound of the program making it useless and not at all enjoyable. They need to find a way to match the sound of the ads to the programs. If not I'm canceling this service over the screaming ads.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Overall I've been pretty happy with HULU streaming. I upgraded a few months ago to commercial free, so I could stream shows. My main frustration is that I'm still being billed for 2 plans. When I log in, I only see one plan. But my credit card statement shows I'm charged twice. I looked back and this has been going on for several months. I tried to chat with their customer service but they were not helpful in any way. Super frustrating. These types of services should be super transparent, and easy to sign up for and cancel. It's the Internet for god's sakes. I am very disappointed with my recent experience.

Original review: May 28, 2022

It's okay, but annoying because this is a paid subscription (not free with ads) and there are a ton of missing episodes. I pay extra so I don't get ads and I can't even watch a whole series because some episodes are missing, sometimes even the first one and last one. Terrible.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Upon my initial subscription just over a month ago, they had an issue with "me not being home". Apparently, hulu thinks people walk around carrying their big-screen TVs as it's a common problem for customers. After paying for it, I couldn't watch TV until hulu fixed the situation. It took forever but hulu finally got it to work. Something about hulu's program and the internet connection not working together.

Then the layout for choices is horrible. I'm not the only one who hates it. You have to go through a lot to get to your "My Stuff" programs. Live TV keeps going to recent and you have to get out of that before searching for what you want. The way the channels lineup or maybe just the layout, or both are not well thought out. Not a pleasant experience.

Unlike others, programs in "My Stuff" which are your favorites for later viewing cannot be fast-forwarded. If something happens and you have to restart the show, you cannot fast forward to get to where you left off. You have to watch every commercial. That's because unlike others hulu wants to charge you more than the others to avoid some commercials. So even if the base price is the same, it's not really. You have to pay more to hulu to get what you get for less elsewhere.

Your programs in "My Stuff" also get mixed up. Most of the time you don't know you have new shows to watch. Some will wind up at the very bottom and you find yourself one or more shows behind. I'm not quite sure, why hulu's is so messed up and others aren't. It's really frustrating. Hulu has also been down at least 2 times in this just over 30 days (unlike others I've had). This was verified* with various online sites where you can check if it's just you or everyone. It was everyone both times.

Also, not all episodes are available. They'll skip an episode. Doing a web search as to why it wasn't there, I found this is common for hulu to not have all episodes available on shows. No other app or service has ever done something so stupid as this. According to the internet, it's a very common problem for customers to have to deal with the "you're not home" scenario. Just after my 2nd month has been paid for, here I go again with "you're not home." With a TV nearly as big as I am tall. I can't even move it let alone be somewhere with it away from the house. So yeah I am home. We called and found ourselves just waiting. At the same time, I'm waiting forever for the chat person. They ask a question, you answer and you wait, wait, wait. Finally, they say something else, then prolonged waiting. There were over 5 mins after my last reply without their answer when I closed the chat.

At the same time all of this is happening for us, this was one of the 2 times their service went down (verified*). When it came back on, it appeared things magically fixed themselves. However, leaving the app and going back later, it was there all over again. "I'm not home." Repeated leaving and going back sometimes brought up different screens or access. One said confirm location. I did, next said error, retry or cancel. I did, both. Then I got a sign-up screen when I canceled. I entered the code given online and it appeared to work. Then it didn't. Tried again, it worked but I noticed all of the programs I had set up in "My Stuff" had all been reset. Meaning all of the programs I had in there for me to watch, were all gone. I was not very happy. Fuming actually. It's why I'm here.

This "You're not home" thing is ridiculous. It's so hard to get fixed. You won't know if you're going to be hit with it until after you pay for and activate your subscription. THEN YOU have to DEAL with it while they take forever to fix it. The worst part is, you never know when it's going to happen. I thought they fixed it, but just over 30 days later...BAM! Second time!!! They made sure they snatched my money! My TV is NOT portable at all - I am home! I made NO internet changes, etc. Hulu needs to fix whatever program he was talking about.

Before ending this review, I went back into hulu to double-check the lost programs. Thought maybe they "loaded". Bigger problem. It's saying again "I'm not home". So apparently in order to watch anything through hulu, I would have to call hulu or bring up chat and give up my time for 90 minutes or more while hulu tries to figure out again why their program isn't working. So I just canceled hulu even though it doesn't expire until June 9th. I basically paid for a month of absolutely nothing! Some companies just don't care about their customers. This is one of them or they would have had this issue fixed years ago. I'm crawling out of the latrine and going elsewhere. Intentional small h.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Hulu frequently displays error messages that take days to fix. These errors won't allow users to view content and the site is essentially useless until the issue is resolved. This happens probably once a week at least. If Hulu did have good original shows I would have stopped the service quite a while ago.

Hulu author review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team