Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Hulu Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Great movie and series choices and the value is dynamic! I have several streaming services, and in my option Hulu is one of the better if not the best service I have. Hulu has been a reputable company so far! The one thing that I strongly recommend paying the additional even during the free trial (which they pro rate) so the few extra dollars are worth spending. If not the commercials will drive you crazy! That is one point I strongly urge anyone that’s looking into trying hulu! Pay the extra money for commercial free or they might refer to it as ad free. I hope my review helps you in making a better decision whether hulu is right for you or not.

F.Y.I. you cannot rent movies through hulu like some services. One more thing I like to mention, if you download the hulu app on your phone or computer. The movie choice are easier to view, just add them to your like menu and they will appear on TV. It seems to me that there’s you can see more choices if you search this way but not necessary.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Because I had only heard non-complimentary things about Hulu. But Hulu was the only one that had a particular series I really liked, so I tried it myself. I had only intended to take the free trial, and then drop it. But now it's just about the only one I watch. I was so pleased to see the series that I watched when I had cable, and so many new ones that I enjoy. I would give them 5 stars if I could! Great big THUMBS UP!!!

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I love the convenience, I can watch Property Brothers on any device. Not particularly pleased with the length of streaming availability from any device. Despite the fact we are paying for unlimited use for any device, I cannot travel away from my home location for more than thirty days otherwise the service is discontinued. Very Frustrating indeed. If I am paying for the subscription and the device is registered on that account I should be able to travel to any location for the length of my stay and not have to deal with that.

Original review: May 20, 2020

When I first started streaming I was set up with Sling, which I wasn't impressed with especially when I switched to Hulu. I couldn't believe the difference. I made the switch thanks to a neighbor who was willing to split the cost of the service & the internet with me, which by the way I have to throw in HUGE KUDOS for CenturyLink even though that's not what we're reviewing but back to hulu, the cost itself for live hulu was cheaper than sling, even without splitting the bills & the HUGE variety of channels, movies & on demand can't even compare.

The couple of times I needed customer service, more because I'm a little technologically challenged, lol, they helped me in a second. Unlike sling, where it took me 4 times to cancel my service, even though I had the paperwork & a confirmation # that I had ended my service, I had to go thru this a total of 4 times, being billed even after the proof the 1st go around & trying to get a live person let alone finding a # for customer service was impossible. Don't even waste your time or money, take hulu from the get-go & sorry cause know we're not reviewing CenturyLink but I have to mention them again for their amazing price & customer service & if you want the best package, throw in a Roku tv & you'll NEVER want to leave the house, which is probably a good thing nowadays, unfortunately. 1 very HAPPY technologically challenged streaming girl done.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I like Hulu because you get access to network TV shows as soon as they air. However, their movies and propriety TV shows are lacking. Honestly the one shows I watch on Hulu are from NBC and Food Network. If they didn't have that, I would cancel. I also think it's so weird how they are the streaming company to have different pricing for ads. And the price difference is only a few dollars less. It should be free if you have to watch ads.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

For the last year, I have had constant issues with this service. There is an issue every week with this company. Currently, when the show goes to a commercial, it comes back from the commercial and skips to the same spot in the next episode. I reached out to the company via social media where they REFUSED to contact me. I tried to contact them via chat, where 5 representatives dropped the chat before saying hello. I want to be contacted about my issues.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Hulu.com offers a Black Friday Deal every year during Thanksgiving weekend. The offer is available to anyone who has not had an active subscription for the past 3 months. The payment went through at the regular charge. After chatting with Hulu chat support for over an hour, they have refunded the charge and closed my account. Since the account was reactivated, I am no longer eligible for the Black Friday Offer. There are other customers who have had inactive accounts who are also being charged at the regular rate and are being denied the Hulu 2020 Black Friday Deal. They will NEVER EVER AGAIN receive a penny from me or from any of my family members!

ANOTHER CUSTOMER POSTED: I have not had Hulu for about a year and just received an e-mail that I could get the $1.99/month deal if I sign up for a year. When I click the link for "Get This Deal" it takes me to a page that says $5.99/month. The exclusions say that you can't have had service within the past 3 months and can't combine with other offers; neither of which are true for me. How do I get this deal?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have googled several different shows over the past few years, and WOW, HULU pops up first stating you can watch it on their site. BUT, as soon as you sign up, go through everything they have, they have not once had a single show they advertised they have on their site. It is false advertising, it wastes people's time for no other reason than "bait and switch" tactics to get you to join. They really should be investigated for it. Personally, do not waste your time, they really don't have a great selection for the prices, and NEVER seem to have a show they advertise they have.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

We've been subscribers to Hulu's live TV streaming service for three or four years now. At first, it was great. Our price started (I believe) at $39.99 a month, which was a great deal. That price has since gone up each year, with two $10 increases in the last two years, bringing the price up to $64.99 a month. This is depsire a lack of new content being added. In fact, FOX regional sports networks were recently, which means we can't watch local MLB games anymore. The service also disconnects several times a day, and repeated chats with customer service have brought us no closer to a solution. They don't try very hard to keep you as a customer either.

With that said, the idea is great even if the execution is poor and getting worse while getting more expensive at the same time. It's nearly as expensive as cable but it's less convenient, eliminating much of the reason to use this service. Sling TV offers the same channels for less and Netflix and Prime Video have better original on demand shows. So, we're struggling to see the reason why anyone would choose to use this service. Their price increases are tied to contract disputes with content providers that probably aren't going away, which means we can expect more price increases without getting more value for our dollar.

I would recommend checking out Sling TV instead, or getting cable, or finding a new hobby other than watching TV. Hulu with live TV is a frustrating service that I can't recommend anyone commit to paying for. This was supposed to replace cable, but instead it's just cable delivered by the internet instead of a coaxial cable. Not great.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I am happy with Hulu but what I am not happy about is that I’m paying 60.99 for no ads and I still get ads and on top of this they are going to increase the rate in December ten dollars more. That’s not right. They are just Robbing the customer now.

Hulu author review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team