Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.46/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Hulu Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

In the past 6 months I've used Hulu, Fubo, Sling, ATT DirecTV, Amazon Prime and Roku. Amazon Prime streaming service is just a bonus on top of the other benefits of Prime. The streaming is flawless and lots of great content. I give Prime 5 stars and I will be keeping it. But I also want live TV, College football games, and cable news shows. For that I will be keeping Hulu because the user interface and user experience is far better than the other 3 streaming services I've tried.

And now a word on Roku. Roku gives access to content but it is primarily a streaming device that also provides a place to consolidate and manage all your content providers. Maybe it is just my device but it sucks. Constant audio buffering and drop-out. When I plug my TV HDMI into my laptop the problem goes away so it is not a problem with my WiFi, it is definitely a problem with the Roku device that I recently purchased new. My advice is use a laptop or tablet with a HDMI port to connect to your TV or use a device you already own to cast the streaming signal to your smart TV.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Hulu is great and the best tv I ever had with clear picture and no buffering. And my wife makes me keep it ‘cause it has Golden Girls, SLR, Designing Women, HGTV, Food Channel. I could watch Netflix and Youtube on my phone data but hulu you can’t. It requires an 8. Netflix only requires a 2 or 4. So I went with Comcast 25 MBPS internet plan. Don't buy their cable ‘cause it doubles after a year. A lot of comments on here about error messages and buffering is because you don’t have enough internet speed. I am a for real reviewer. I am concerned about hulu taking people money by accident and not returning it. That is stealing and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

To start, I think the catch with this is not specifying the problem you are having, in order to try to fix it, in the same time period you decide you want to cancel the subscription (and if you purchased it recently enough, even have it refunded). I decided to test out Hulu yesterday and paid for a subscription, but immediately when I first went to watch any videos, and even one I tried to load today, there were so many ads. I had to turn my ad-blocker on because I had toggled it off before that, but for a paid subscription, they still showed ads. I know they're considered commercials, but the fact that my ad-blocker skipped through them for me implies they still give enough information to the ad-blocker to know how to skip through it...aka block it.

Today, all day, they have had errors with an update for many many people apparently, and I was affected too. I likely would have tried Hulu for more than 36 hours had this not occurred. The catch is, since I decided to simply cancel the subscription, and after seeing it only cancelled recurring subscriptions, contacted support, I was able to see about completely cancelling the account and even getting a refund due to how short a time I had tried the service as paid.

The customer support person I spoke with had no issue with it, didn't try to bribe me into keeping the subscription, and just made sure to clarify a few things to make sure my account hadn't been stolen and that I was sure about the decision. (Specifically: "To do this, can you tell me your email and your billing zipcode?" and "Just to confirm, are you sure about closing the account?") This service has been the easiest service I've ever tried with the customer support. Other reviews say otherwise, but for context, my request for the support chat was specifically directed at fully cancelling and refunding the account and subscription.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I use my laptop to watch everything, I no longer have a working TV. I like the fact a lot of what I watch is on Hulu and I also have HBO through them. Even with my gripes I most likely will continue to use Hulu. The new interface on Hulu is terrible, my TV shows are not aligned properly, the series I continue to watch are not grouped together and I have to look down my long list to see if there is a show to watch if I watched. At times it says I watched yet says I have x amount I did not watch, when I am actually up to date.

I have called them a few times and they are aware of the problem but it's never fixed and it's been about a year maybe longer. I have it set so it doesn't go to the next show, it tends to show me programs I have already seen and I am up to date on shows and movies not on my list. If you have an old pc and or your internet is slow, you will have problems watching. It seems their standards are higher than other platforms like Netflix.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My situation is unique that I receive Xfinity with my HOA but I did not want cords all over my house. So I chose Hulu with most of the bells and whistles for $64 per month. It served it's purpose because most channel apps did not link with Xfinity. Two years later Xfinity has its own app and most channel with their independent app do link now. So Hulu is no longer cost effective for my home. Keep in mind that when you sign up for commercial free with Hulu; very few shows are commercial free and DVR shows you have to fast forward through them. If you don't have cable then Hulu is an excellent service.

If you have their live TV add on you can use them as a TV provider for a lot of channel apps. If you do have cable it's not worth the cost. Xfinity's app does not count against your usage on the wifi (if you have Xfinity as your internet provider). If you use Hulu and have 4 adults you will need to pay extra for unlimited streaming with your WiFi service. I highly recommend Hulu for anyone who does not have cable. But if you have cable and just don't want the cords, just use the independent apps. I cancelled Hulu, Netflix, and CBS all access and am saving almost $100 per month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I have tried all or most of the streaming apps from Sling, Philo and most everything in between. I find Hulu by far has the most bang for my buck. Great streaming with no buffering or audio delays, like I have had with most of the streaming services I have tried. Granted they have raised their prices...to me it's worth the quality of Hulu...by far the best! Easy to use channel guide and great browsing experience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

When watching live TV, there is a connection error anywhere between 5-20 times per show. Haven't watched a Patriots game in full. Please don't get me started on "This is US." Customer service no help. BACK TO CABLE!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I got the trial, cancelled before the drop dead date, still got billed anyway. Customer service is NON EXISTENT. Help site is nothing more than a loop that goes NOWHERE. Will not do business with them again. Not worth the aggravation. Wasn't impressed with the content during the trial period.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I've tried Hulu TV and have been pleased with the picture quality but so far not too happy with the billing. They have double dipped my account twice each month. I contacted Hulu in October and the representative corrected the problem and assured this would not happen again and refunded my bank account. This month I checked my bank account and Hulu double dipped once again! I contacted customer service and was told she had corrected my problem and assured that this will not happen again. I will see when January 1, 2020 rolls in....

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I have been a subscriber to Hulu for over six years. I recently tried to add a movie to my Watchlist and inadvertently clicked on the LiveTV free trial. I automatically cancelled this service, and checked to ensure that my account showed that I had no add ons. I just checked my bank account and $30 had been charged by the company. After FORTY minutes trying to speak to Customer Service Rep, I was informed that because I am not a "new" member, all "free" trials are fully chargeable. I explained that this is in no way explained to customers, and is deceptive. The Customer Support Agent agreed with me, and my money has been fully refunded. Hulu needs to stop these deceptive practices or they are going to lose their customers to one of the many other streaming services.

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout