2.34/5
Based on 109 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

109 Hulu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

So far, I like Hulu a lot. The basic package is the most inexpensive streaming TV service available, it offers a decent variety of older TV shows and movies, many of which are favorites of mine, as well as new productions which are well produced. In this respect Hulu is becoming a definite challenger to much more expensive choices. But the basic package includes commercials. My problem with them is not their frequency, which is reasonable in my opinion, but they're the same commercials hundreds of times. I end up muting the TV for most of the commercials.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I literally watched a show for 131 seconds then had 80 seconds of ads then a preview to the next show for maybe 10 seconds followed by another 76 seconds of ads. You pay for service but spend more time on ads than the service. Don’t waste your money.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I have been trying to watch Hulu Plus Live TV for about a month now. I have been dealing with horrible buffering and the so-called live tv stations are not so live. I had my internet provider come out and increase my internet and that did not stop the buffering. I purchased an internet repeater and that didn't solve the problem. This morning is the last straw. I'm trying to watch the only live local channel they offer and have been receiving error messages for the past 2 hours. How is it legal to charge a consumer for services that are NOT rendered. Hulu needs to correct the problem or pull out of the market and return the hard earned money their consumers are paying for this horrible service. I gave one star only because there was nothing lower.

Original review: July 7, 2018

The selection is not good, very old movies. The only show I liked was Handmaid's Tale, nothing else. I decided to sign up with free trial & looks like they charged me without any notification about that. When contacted customer service, they told, "Cannot process refund, because you were watching." I mean, why you would offer free trial? I thought trial period is to watch, explore, try. But not according to Hulu, there was an supervisor Claudia, after explaining situation again and again, she informed cannot help, that is the poorest customer service I ever faced in US. I lived in Europe and Central Asia and never saw then that low level of customer service, that is why the service is not developing very well, but they are going to learn it in hard way, good luck. Hulu never again.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Please be careful with Hulu free trial. They has been sending emails offering you A, 30 days free trial and that's a lie. I got one of those emails saying that if I go back To Hulu they will give me a 30 day free trial and as soon as I accept the offer my card was charge. They should be more honest about it. NEVER I WILL GO BACK TO HULU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: June 23, 2018

Subscribed for free trial (30 day), to become 11.99 per month if continue. During trial period decided to upgrade to the 43.99 package (7 day free trial)... The bottom line was charged 13.99 on the 19th and billed for additional 47.99 to be due the 28th of the same month. When son called to ask about being billed over 60 dollars for service was told overlap of service resulted in billing... We cancelled service. The programs flip in and out at will, confusing and irritating but was willing to tolerate... Double billing not so much!!! SCAM SERVICE in my opinion!!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Think your Hulu account is safe? So did we, we were wrong. Dead wrong. I turned on the TV and got a message that I couldn't watch Hulu because too many devices already were. Too bad not one of them belonged to us! It turns out less than 5 of the devices on this list belong to us, the others? Who knows, Hulu doesn't know and it was just made painfully obvious by two customer service agents that Hulu does not care either. Not only did someone else use our Hulu account for free, Hulu won't look in to it and they don't think we should be compensated for their unsecured system either. If you think your account is safe, think again. Go online to hulu.com/devices and see for yourself.

I hope this is going to be enough to shame Hulu into caring more about their paying customers than they clearly care about others who are not paying for anything and are freely scamming those that do pay. I have no plans to keep Hulu after this and continue to pay for a service that freely allows unauthorized devices to use my account for free and refuse to assist me in safeguarding my account from other further breaches. Obviously having my login info in another language wasn't enough despite using Norton's antivirus and calling their help line was a waste of time. Their customer service is just about the worst there is.

When I called in the first person I spoke with was way too cheerful (Like it was forced cheerfulness). This CSA could not stop talking in circles and repeating the same line over and over. Needless to say in reading her script she missed the part where you help the caller by listening to what's being said as much as she missed the bit where you aren't going to have a positive call if you insult the callers intelligence. She did apologize for that when I brought this to her attention, however that does not excuse the fact that it happened in the first place.

I was also told in the beginning of the call that she could handle getting a credit on my account for the trouble and would be happy to do that. As the call dragged on and continued to spiral out of control I requested a floor manager to speak with. Sadly things did not improve from there. The floor manager was incredibly snide and downright snarky even with his tone. After I gave a short explanation of the current situation that we never used a public device or gave our login information out he started off by telling me "oh well that would mean your account was hacked." (I had already figured as much.)

I was relieved that he understood what had happened unlike his CSA. Next he told me "well we don't credit for this kind of thing." After she had stated they would do so. This is called a false promise and most companies frown on such practices, apparently Hulu is not that kind of company. The very next problem according to him was the fact that I had to delete all of the devices from our account because I didn't know who all was on watching it when I wanted to use the service and that wiped the history, even though they said they could see 8 pages back and then he told me "yeah well it would take a subpoena to our legal dept and that won't happen." for me to find out how someone hacked our account. And that was from the floor manager!

All in all it sure sounded like they could do more than he was willingly to. As well as see what was going on and just refused to take any responsibility for this breach of security and my trust. As for the CSA struggling with her script reading rather than addressing the problems at hand I am sure more training can address the issues she had on the call. However I can see no reason or proper course or action for such rude and unprofessional behaviour on the part of that manager. If this is the best Hulu can do, I'll use Netflix from now on.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I subscribed for the 7 day free trial but I regret it! I will go back to Netflix, it's a Joke. I could hardly watch a 21 minute long episode from a series because it is full with commercials. Actually when we watched for the first time we see less than the half of the show and it has 7 commercials, so we stop it. On the next day we finished it... but it was exhausted. Now, a few days later, we decided to watch the 2nd episode but that was the last one. During the 21 minute there were 4 times commercials in 1-3-4-4 installments, so 12 ads altogether for 5 minutes and 10 seconds.

Also before and after the ad the system buffers the movie so it's an additional few seconds when you just watch the screen and nothing happens. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? Are you really so desperate to earn something? I really hope you will lose all of your current customers because it is clear that YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS!!! It's not a service, IT IS A JOKE!!! I go get some beer before I go out and burn the TV with this idiot Hulu app on it...

Original review: June 16, 2018

Trying the 7 day free Live TV trial. Doesn’t work on my 2016 Samsung. Didn’t know that! Why is this not disclosed before signing up? Contacted customer service. Complete nonchalance. Didn’t get offered any alternatives. Just total shoulder shrugging. I work in advertising so I’m surprised by this concealment of having a 2017 or later model requirement, which is not disclosed. Very disappointing. Also, mobile user interface for Live TV seems awkward.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I consistently had trouble with the interface and its lack of intuitiveness. What used to be one click to go from one station to another on cable turned into a five minute clickfest. Performance was okay, but flaky internet (at times) meant we couldn't watch TV. Our current cable bill for TV, phone and medium speed internet is $220 a month. Our TV is a 2016 Samsung and it did not support Hulu Live, so I had to buy a Roku (or the like) to be compatible with my 4K TV, cost $100. So disregarding that cost, the $40 per month would save me $60 a month and be very inconvenient.

The additional content is nice, but I can get that from Netflix or Roku for less than $10 per month without Hulu Live. Hulu Live neeeds a better user interface, and Hulu Live neeeds an interactive guide page where you can see what is scheduled and where. We took our Roku back and closed our Hulu Live account. We are still very interested in cord-cutting or lowering our cable costs, but haven't found the best solution yet that provides the content we want.

Original review: June 3, 2018

My experience with HULU Live has been poor. Constantly the service fails to work in many ways. Not just the constant buffering but failure to load, locking up all the time and forget about customer service it does not exist. This company is a scam so do not waste your money. You will be disappointed.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I moved cancelled. Continued a Year longer. I had Moved to another address in another building. By the time I had found out the clerk could only remove 3. The Manager removed 3. The credit card a said they would remove the remaining 3 but then refused too. $35.00 balance due.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I love Hulu but on older shows that are before the HD way of life the shows are off center. Instead of seeing an actor who is suppose to be reciting lines the picture is way off center. You are suppose to see the actor/actress in the center reciting lines instead you may be able to see 1/4 of their face or a picture on the wall and the actor reciting their part. Very odd when trying to watch the Golden Girls or I Love Lucy. Hulu can't you fix this?

Original review: May 6, 2018

I signed up for Hulu to watch at my new Smart TV. I was offered one month free with subsequent months to be charged to my credit card. I provided all required info including cc number online at my computer. However, that wasn't enough for them. Went to my Smart TV to watch a program and could not view without once more adding same info via the TV. I then canceled the service and when I did so, was advised I could view until 06/05, thus completing the free intro month. However, when I tried to view at TV, locked out. I expected to have more movie variety available as I have no need to view TV programs. Disappointing offerings which prompted my cancellation. Went to Hulu chat, and agent claimed I had initiated immediate cancel, which I had not. This was use of deceptive tactic. I insisted all my data including cc number be expunged. I do hope it was. Don't waste your time or $$ on Hulu.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Very disappointed and going back to Netflix. Per Hulu, there is no way to stop the ads with the naked women holding signs from interrupting my viewing experience. Unbelievable. Pretty shocking and I can't sign on to Hulu when I have company. :(

Original review: April 12, 2018

I signed up for Hulu Plus to reduce the commercials I have to watch. The only thing it reduced is the money in my wallet. I could not find one show that did not have commercials. I ended up canceling my contract with Hulu.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I received an error message saying they could not load my requested live TV program 4 out of the past 5 days. I have spent at least 3 hours talking or live chat with Hulu. Still not working. They said no other complaints like this. They said it was my WiFi - it is not - I checked with the WiFi provider. Who regulates streaming? Hulu worked for a month, now a problem 4 out of 5 days. I will be leaving Hulu if this issue continues!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I painstakingly researched all the streaming TV options before cutting the cable. I even bought a Hulu-enabled TV and did a trial period. I have a 120 Mbps cable internet service, more than 10 times the bandwidth recommended by Hulu and yet I constantly experience the same problems voiced by so many others on here... programming 'stuttering' (repeating itself multiple times), gaps (part of this stream missing), etc. Heck, even 'my channels' appear and disappear from the menu. I don't know what the issue is, whether they've seen an increase in subscribers and haven't increased the infrastructure to support it but I am going back to my research and will soon be cutting the Hulu cable too.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have been watching a TV series. The ads keep getting longer and longer. Then the ads stall out several times during the ad which makes each ad all that much longer. I have spoken to Hulu twice. I was on the phone with them for 1/2 hour each time and the problem does not get fixed. The service people that I spoke to only have a list of remedies and when none of them work they say, "So sorry." I pay for this service which I will be cancelling.

Original review: April 1, 2018

What a joke. Here's a company that promises great programming. Only problem is every show you try to watch freezes and after 30 min of wasted time from script reading CSRs it still freezes and you rinse and repeat. There is no record of previous calls or contacts with the CSRs before who had you do the same thing and asked the same questions. They want you to do their job and then nothing changes. I would not recommend wasting any money on this company.

Original review: March 28, 2018

So I decided to try HULU and signed up for it. Decided to canceled it and my account was charged 2 different times during the *trial period*. Called HULU and they stated that they could NOT give the refund. It seems that IF any changes are made during the *TRIAL PERIOD*... then you are charged. REALLY???

Original review: March 27, 2018

I enjoy Hulu but I was so sad about East Los High being cancelled. It was a great show and had a lot of diversity. I really hoped that it would have continued due to that was the only reason I watched Hulu. I really cannot find another show I am into as much as that one. If it would have continued definitely 5 Stars. Please bring it back!

Original review: March 23, 2018

We signed up for a free trial but they charged my account for $11.99. We could not even access any of the shows because it kept spinning and would not load. Netflix loaded just fine, so that was not the issue. I cancelled the subscription a few days later and then found out the charge still had not been removed from my bank account. I called earlier today and was told it plainly states that the 1199 subscription is not free. I called back, after I checked the website on my computer, and found that the 1199 subscription did have a free trial.

This time when I called back, I was told that we had a free trial already and that I was trying to pull a scam. They pulled up my current husband’s information from last year somehow and linked that to me. I asked why I was not informed I would not be getting the free trial and she just kept dancing around telling me the same thing, “you can’t get a free trial if you already had one.“ I told her that did not answer my question as to why I was not notified it was not going to be a free trial. I am very angry because I did not get my money refunded.

Original review: March 23, 2018

So disappointed, not user friendly at all. Canceling right now on March 23rd at 11:56 am and it's been loading page to confirm cancellation for 8 minutes now!! Let me GO Hulu!! Maybe I'll try you another time, just not now!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I finally got so mad with Hulu Live TV repeating the same thing over and over for 15 minutes, that I signed up with YouTube TV. So far, no skips, no buffering, no replaying, no replaying, no replaying. I'll have to find another method to see Hard Sun, but the frustration with Hulu is not worth it.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had HULU for two months. After all the issues with buffering and the shows freezing, I decided to cancel my subscription. The HULU app allows you to do this. After a few months I checked my bank statement and noticed I was still being charged. I tried to log into my account, where I was told on the screen I needed to add a payment type. So I know my account was canceled. I called HULU customer service. I spoke to Monaca who said she could see my service hasn’t been used since September 2017 (it’s now March 2018) but she said she didn’t see any notes stating that I had canceled. I told her I did it thru the app on my TV and she said I needed to call even though the app offers a cancel subscription option.

So, she cancel my account and proceeded to tell me to have a good day. I told her to wait I wanted to speak with her manager. When she asked if it was an issue she could fix, I told her, "You’ve been charging me when you shouldn’t have and you didn’t even offer me a refund." She said I needed to ask for one. A company that stands behind what it sells is not going to make a customer ask for a refund when they can clearly see they have been charging you when you no longer had the account. She could only refund me 3 months, after charging me for 6. Needless to say HULU is a company that offers bad service in its programming and customer service.

Original review: March 18, 2018

It seems that when I first signed up buffering was not an issue but after a couple of months of using the service it has become almost impossible to watch anything anymore. Usually the buffering will take 30 seconds or less, but if it takes longer it will lock everything up and the only way to get back is to shut everything down and start over. When changing channels there is almost always a minute of buffering before a connection is made. It's all very annoying.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I just canceled my subscription for Live HULU TV since the Quality of the streaming made it unbearable to watch. It would lock up and freeze continually, and I have fast internet (300 mbps) from Xfinity and it still would lock up.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Ridiculous. Every time there is a commercial it freezes. I then have to turn off the TV and start all over. Plus too many commercials. I pay for this service and we should not have a commercial every 5 minutes.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Tried to do a Chat, the Wait time 25 minutes. I waited and tried to respond but the box would not let me type in it. They hung up on the chat right away. Did it again and the same thing. I Wait way too long, 45 minutes now. I have wasted my time and you can't type in the chat area. How stupid is that. I left my phone # to call me. It has been an hour and nothing. I pay for this service!!!

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hulu Company Information

www.hulu.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business