2.92/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

95 Hulu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

Very disappointed and going back to Netflix. Per Hulu, there is no way to stop the ads with the naked women holding signs from interrupting my viewing experience. Unbelievable. Pretty shocking and I can't sign on to Hulu when I have company. :(

Original review: April 12, 2018

I signed up for Hulu Plus to reduce the commercials I have to watch. The only thing it reduced is the money in my wallet. I could not find one show that did not have commercials. I ended up canceling my contract with Hulu.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I received an error message saying they could not load my requested live TV program 4 out of the past 5 days. I have spent at least 3 hours talking or live chat with Hulu. Still not working. They said no other complaints like this. They said it was my WiFi - it is not - I checked with the WiFi provider. Who regulates streaming? Hulu worked for a month, now a problem 4 out of 5 days. I will be leaving Hulu if this issue continues!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I painstakingly researched all the streaming TV options before cutting the cable. I even bought a Hulu-enabled TV and did a trial period. I have a 120 Mbps cable internet service, more than 10 times the bandwidth recommended by Hulu and yet I constantly experience the same problems voiced by so many others on here... programming 'stuttering' (repeating itself multiple times), gaps (part of this stream missing), etc. Heck, even 'my channels' appear and disappear from the menu. I don't know what the issue is, whether they've seen an increase in subscribers and haven't increased the infrastructure to support it but I am going back to my research and will soon be cutting the Hulu cable too.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have been watching a TV series. The ads keep getting longer and longer. Then the ads stall out several times during the ad which makes each ad all that much longer. I have spoken to Hulu twice. I was on the phone with them for 1/2 hour each time and the problem does not get fixed. The service people that I spoke to only have a list of remedies and when none of them work they say, "So sorry." I pay for this service which I will be cancelling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: April 1, 2018

What a joke. Here's a company that promises great programming. Only problem is every show you try to watch freezes and after 30 min of wasted time from script reading CSRs it still freezes and you rinse and repeat. There is no record of previous calls or contacts with the CSRs before who had you do the same thing and asked the same questions. They want you to do their job and then nothing changes. I would not recommend wasting any money on this company.

Original review: March 28, 2018

So I decided to try HULU and signed up for it. Decided to canceled it and my account was charged 2 different times during the *trial period*. Called HULU and they stated that they could NOT give the refund. It seems that IF any changes are made during the *TRIAL PERIOD*... then you are charged. REALLY???

Original review: March 27, 2018

I enjoy Hulu but I was so sad about East Los High being cancelled. It was a great show and had a lot of diversity. I really hoped that it would have continued due to that was the only reason I watched Hulu. I really cannot find another show I am into as much as that one. If it would have continued definitely 5 Stars. Please bring it back!

Original review: March 23, 2018

We signed up for a free trial but they charged my account for $11.99. We could not even access any of the shows because it kept spinning and would not load. Netflix loaded just fine, so that was not the issue. I cancelled the subscription a few days later and then found out the charge still had not been removed from my bank account. I called earlier today and was told it plainly states that the 1199 subscription is not free. I called back, after I checked the website on my computer, and found that the 1199 subscription did have a free trial.

This time when I called back, I was told that we had a free trial already and that I was trying to pull a scam. They pulled up my current husband’s information from last year somehow and linked that to me. I asked why I was not informed I would not be getting the free trial and she just kept dancing around telling me the same thing, “you can’t get a free trial if you already had one.“ I told her that did not answer my question as to why I was not notified it was not going to be a free trial. I am very angry because I did not get my money refunded.

Original review: March 23, 2018

So disappointed, not user friendly at all. Canceling right now on March 23rd at 11:56 am and it's been loading page to confirm cancellation for 8 minutes now!! Let me GO Hulu!! Maybe I'll try you another time, just not now!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I finally got so mad with Hulu Live TV repeating the same thing over and over for 15 minutes, that I signed up with YouTube TV. So far, no skips, no buffering, no replaying, no replaying, no replaying. I'll have to find another method to see Hard Sun, but the frustration with Hulu is not worth it.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had HULU for two months. After all the issues with buffering and the shows freezing, I decided to cancel my subscription. The HULU app allows you to do this. After a few months I checked my bank statement and noticed I was still being charged. I tried to log into my account, where I was told on the screen I needed to add a payment type. So I know my account was canceled. I called HULU customer service. I spoke to Monaca who said she could see my service hasn’t been used since September 2017 (it’s now March 2018) but she said she didn’t see any notes stating that I had canceled. I told her I did it thru the app on my TV and she said I needed to call even though the app offers a cancel subscription option.

So, she cancel my account and proceeded to tell me to have a good day. I told her to wait I wanted to speak with her manager. When she asked if it was an issue she could fix, I told her, "You’ve been charging me when you shouldn’t have and you didn’t even offer me a refund." She said I needed to ask for one. A company that stands behind what it sells is not going to make a customer ask for a refund when they can clearly see they have been charging you when you no longer had the account. She could only refund me 3 months, after charging me for 6. Needless to say HULU is a company that offers bad service in its programming and customer service.

Original review: March 18, 2018

It seems that when I first signed up buffering was not an issue but after a couple of months of using the service it has become almost impossible to watch anything anymore. Usually the buffering will take 30 seconds or less, but if it takes longer it will lock everything up and the only way to get back is to shut everything down and start over. When changing channels there is almost always a minute of buffering before a connection is made. It's all very annoying.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I just canceled my subscription for Live HULU TV since the Quality of the streaming made it unbearable to watch. It would lock up and freeze continually, and I have fast internet (300 mbps) from Xfinity and it still would lock up.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Ridiculous. Every time there is a commercial it freezes. I then have to turn off the TV and start all over. Plus too many commercials. I pay for this service and we should not have a commercial every 5 minutes.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Tried to do a Chat, the Wait time 25 minutes. I waited and tried to respond but the box would not let me type in it. They hung up on the chat right away. Did it again and the same thing. I Wait way too long, 45 minutes now. I have wasted my time and you can't type in the chat area. How stupid is that. I left my phone # to call me. It has been an hour and nothing. I pay for this service!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I had a Hulu account free trial and three days ago. I had a problem watching a show that I watched for 5 episodes. I called Hulu and said I had been hacked by a foreign agent. I called CenturyLink and they said I had not been hacked but Hulu had. I call Hulu again and the wanted me to go to a repair site and pay for them to fix my computer as all of my info had been compromised. They said it would cost me $100 to $500 to fix the problem. Just like Equifax. HELP!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Hulu used to be a great service but since they have started live TV service, they are almost always not functioning correctly. Shows rebuffer or won't respond all the time. And today, I log in and it immediately logs me out, all day. DON'T JOIN!! My family, in another house and with another account is having the same issue.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My sister and I have purchased Hulu, Netflix and Prime while using an antenna for all our local channels. This was due to the railing cost of cable and satellite. Hulu's streaming has steadily gotten worse. Every 2 to 3 minutes on most days Hulu has a problem with buffering. It takes forever to watch one single episode of a show. With all the complaints that seemingly are the same it seems to me they should have the problem fixed by now. I hope they can get it worked out soon. I would hate for dozens, even hundreds, to cancel their subscriptions. They carry a lot of shows I can't see on other networks. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

It doesn't seem to matter what device I am using or where I am, but I ALWAYS have issues with Hulu buffering. I have used Hulu in various places with different internet providers on phones, tablets, Blu ray player, laptop, game console, etc. And no matter place or device, I rarely am able to watch more than one episode of any show because it takes so much longer to play. A 38 min episode will take at least 47 min to play because of buffering. Also, even though you pay a monthly fee you still have to wait for commercials on top of all the buffering. I don't ever have these issues with Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. It sucks because a lot of Hulu originals are really good.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

No matter how many times I contact customer service - the same problems with delivery of streaming content persist. The fact that I do not have the same problems with other streaming subscriptions - ever - tells me that Hulu just doesn't care. As other reviewers have stated - fat chance of watching very much of anything in a successive manner - the content just stops loading. Shame on Hulu for having such a low quality product.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Every time I try to watch a series it will stop at 1 second and will not continue. I must exit Hulu completely then go back into it and find what I was watching all over again. The first person I spoke to said there was nothing they could do. The second call said he could reimburse me but that's not the problem. I asked to speak to a manager and they disconnected me after my second hour of waiting. Third call been holding for 45 minutes so far and still on hold.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Are they putting the money in their pocket and doing nothing to upgrade infrastructure? The same terrible service has been going on and on and they've just continued to limp along for more than a decade now like this. They can't offer solutions or any help, just terrible service again and again. I'm done with throwing money at a company that has proven SO inept and incapable of fixing problems. I spend more time fiddling with the controller and trying to get Hulu to respond (once a movie starts, forget trying to stop it, and nevermind trying to watch a series and go from episode to episode without intervention of 15 minutes). It's ridiculous and I just want to punch a Hulu executive square in the mouth!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

The streaming was terrible. The watched program was either rebuffing or unavailable at this time. I had a direct wire into the modem but still no programming. It got worse and worse, and Hulu could not help. I had to cancel subscription although Hulu had many more movies than Netflix, which were easier accessible.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Getting better than use to be but wish there was more updated choices. I think they should make it easier to find movies better. HATE having to type in information in the format that is currently in use.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Hulu is not very flexible regarding attracting new customers. Years ago when I was working 18 hour days sometimes 7 day weeks (only 10 hours on weekends) I'd signed up for a 2 week trial. I never used it, not once. When they offered a 30 day trial, my life had changed dramatically and I was heading for SSDI & much older. I asked to use the then-current promotion via Groupon (?) and Hulu flat out refused. They offered a 1 wk. trial. It takes me a week to decide which day I will go grocery shopping... I practically begged them to allow me to test them and see, using the 30 day promo (I knew I'd join) but they refused. Thus, I took advantage of Amazon Prime Fire TV, bought the stick, 2 years later took advantage of Prime's 1 mo. free Netflix promo and am now a member of Netflix. That's as much paid TV I want to spend.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

It cost way too much to have to tolerate commercials when watching programs. They need to offer the option to endure all the commercials before watching, so there are no interruptions when you do watch.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Hulu freezes up. We watch Hulu every evening and it will freeze up at least 3 times during the evening. It usually happens during commercials. Contacted Hulu. They claim they do not have a fix.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

So far Hulu has been pretty good. I kinda enjoy the way they bring in the new movies and the primetime shows. I am still learning about Hulu so the more I play with it and pull up different shows the more I like. I just want them to try and get the newer movies in a more timely manner. Right now it's all good and hunky-dory for me and the family.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Where to begin... Well Hulu has made me so angry as a customer. I have had Hulu off and on the past 2 years. On 12/22/17 me and my girlfriend decide to obtain a subscription to watch some of the shows that we use to watch when we had Hulu earlier this year, like Blank Ink Crew or Love and Hip-Hop. All of those shows are gone. They only have like 3-4 shows under the VH1 network and its really old shows like Flavor of Love or New York Show (the girl from Flavor of Love). Not only VH1 but most networks on Hulu provide very little options.

My manager at my job informed me that Hulu now has live TV which explains everything. I don't want live TV. Bring the shows back. People when I mean there's hardly any options I can go as far to say that there's honestly no reason to even have this app, there's nothing there... Combining all the networks I can guarantee you there's less than 100 shows to choose from that's horrible and then they has these very old crusty movies that isn't interesting to anyone human being 40 and under. No one wants to watch a movie created in 1986. Hulu had something going in the past but now, Hulu has turned into a savage, it's no longer about the customer. It's about how fat can they make their pockets.

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout