Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Hulu Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Great movie and series choices and the value is dynamic! I have several streaming services, and in my option Hulu is one of the better if not the best service I have. Hulu has been a reputable company so far! The one thing that I strongly recommend paying the additional even during the free trial (which they pro rate) so the few extra dollars are worth spending. If not the commercials will drive you crazy! That is one point I strongly urge anyone that’s looking into trying hulu! Pay the extra money for commercial free or they might refer to it as ad free. I hope my review helps you in making a better decision whether hulu is right for you or not.

F.Y.I. you cannot rent movies through hulu like some services. One more thing I like to mention, if you download the hulu app on your phone or computer. The movie choice are easier to view, just add them to your like menu and they will appear on TV. It seems to me that there’s you can see more choices if you search this way but not necessary.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Because I had only heard non-complimentary things about Hulu. But Hulu was the only one that had a particular series I really liked, so I tried it myself. I had only intended to take the free trial, and then drop it. But now it's just about the only one I watch. I was so pleased to see the series that I watched when I had cable, and so many new ones that I enjoy. I would give them 5 stars if I could! Great big THUMBS UP!!!

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I love the convenience, I can watch Property Brothers on any device. Not particularly pleased with the length of streaming availability from any device. Despite the fact we are paying for unlimited use for any device, I cannot travel away from my home location for more than thirty days otherwise the service is discontinued. Very Frustrating indeed. If I am paying for the subscription and the device is registered on that account I should be able to travel to any location for the length of my stay and not have to deal with that.

Original review: May 20, 2020

When I first started streaming I was set up with Sling, which I wasn't impressed with especially when I switched to Hulu. I couldn't believe the difference. I made the switch thanks to a neighbor who was willing to split the cost of the service & the internet with me, which by the way I have to throw in HUGE KUDOS for CenturyLink even though that's not what we're reviewing but back to hulu, the cost itself for live hulu was cheaper than sling, even without splitting the bills & the HUGE variety of channels, movies & on demand can't even compare.

The couple of times I needed customer service, more because I'm a little technologically challenged, lol, they helped me in a second. Unlike sling, where it took me 4 times to cancel my service, even though I had the paperwork & a confirmation # that I had ended my service, I had to go thru this a total of 4 times, being billed even after the proof the 1st go around & trying to get a live person let alone finding a # for customer service was impossible. Don't even waste your time or money, take hulu from the get-go & sorry cause know we're not reviewing CenturyLink but I have to mention them again for their amazing price & customer service & if you want the best package, throw in a Roku tv & you'll NEVER want to leave the house, which is probably a good thing nowadays, unfortunately. 1 very HAPPY technologically challenged streaming girl done.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I like Hulu because you get access to network TV shows as soon as they air. However, their movies and propriety TV shows are lacking. Honestly the one shows I watch on Hulu are from NBC and Food Network. If they didn't have that, I would cancel. I also think it's so weird how they are the streaming company to have different pricing for ads. And the price difference is only a few dollars less. It should be free if you have to watch ads.

Original review: April 3, 2021

HULU does not hide the fact that they lure you in with promised of a free trial, but will not let you cancel services to avoid future charges. When you try to call them or even visit account online - it doesn't work. I had to eventually close down my charge card to prevent them from charging month after month, even though I cancelled service. Beware - this is a scam.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Our Hulu entertainment was like breathing air. It was sustaining and carefree. This continued marginally after adding "live TV". Apparently a monthly fee (nearing $100/mo) is not sufficient enough for hulu to halt failing hulu engineering that tries to determine device location. They do this for advertising purposes, but hulu's algorithms fail location dramatically when faced with (what is typical for most homes) a dynamic IP connection to their internet provider.

With hulu engineering and dynamic IP, the customer periodically receives messages about "moving" due to the dynamic IP changing daily/weekly. One message is "1 of 4 moves left...". Then you're blocked. What **! So, if you are one those lovers of "Terror and Threat" messages from your entertainment provider hulu is the service for you. I can't do it. I think customers should be appreciated, and I will find a service that supports customers and (more importantly) appreciates them! Hulu IS NOT WORTH THE AGGRAVATION OR THE UNAPPRECIATED MONEY THEY CHARGE!

Original review: March 13, 2021

I am EXTREMELY displeased!! I pay for Hulu No Ads and Hulu Live. I understand having ads on shows that are only accessible with Hulu Live, but I just spent a total of 21 minutes and 30 seconds watching ADS for a show that is 41 minutes long.... that is RIDICULOUS! I am very strongly considering canceling my Hulu subscription and going back to my previous tv provider where I can record shows and fast forward through commercials. Or at the very least, spend less time watching commercials for a show that is supposed to only be 1 hour long (41 minutes with ads would have left a total of 19 minutes worth of ad time, still outrageous, but less outrageous than what I just experienced).

Original review: March 13, 2021

I can no longer pause live T.V. It keeps sending shows that should go to my enhanced dvr to the on demand side so I have to watch the ads I pay not to watch. After watching a show on the dvr it kicks me completely out of Hulu. Sometimes live T.V. doesn't even exist! If I call them I spend an hour waiting for someone to answer and another hour disconnecting my wifi and my Roku and hooking them back up and removing the app and reinstalling it. Even though Netflix, discovery plus, Peacock, Apple tv, paramount plus and Disney all work well. It seems to always be my equipment. So I paid the extra money and boosted my internet to 400 mbps and the third Roku that I've had Hulu on (This time I bought the most expensive one). That didn't help! I then hooked it direct with a lan line. Nope it didn't help! It has also been on three different wifi routers, You guessed it this has not fixed the problem!

Oh and then they raised the price again. I wish they would fix their equipment with some of that extra money. Some times you can fix it by unloading and reloading the app but, after a couple of days the glitches come right back. If it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't even have them. Thanks for listening to my rant. I hope this post changes somebody's mind about even getting Hulu!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I've had this service for a long time. I've tried reaching out but no luck. Their service is not working for a week. I've done everything I know to do and nothing emails don't go thru because it says it's full. Never heard that before ON TOP of the service not working. I canceled it and they went into my bank account and took money after being cancel and their service don't work. I would not recommend Hulu to nobody. If you do good luck getting it. Cancel now. I have to go to the bank to stop them from taking my money.

Hulu author review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team