2.09/5

282 Hulu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

I dropped DirecTV about a year ago and swapped to Hulu to try it out. Certainly not as nice as DirecTV but worked out. This week all of my 150+ hours on my DVR magically erased. Hulu can't explain why it happened and for paying 10/month just for the DVR and 200 hours of storage, not sure I find it acceptable. Back to cable or DirecTV again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My bill is never the same amount. It just keeps going up and up. It's ridiculous. When I chat with a customer service rep all they say is "sorry". Poor customer service. I Wouldn't recommend Hulu to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Hulu is always cutting me off when I tune to FOX Network. The other channels give me a decent play. Only FOX! What gives? Will cancel after this month and reading others' reviews!! The customer service is pathetic. They raise prices for crappier service and performance. Switching apps that are reliable and have intelligent service reps!

Original review: April 16, 2019

So I recently updated my credit card and I have a Hulu subscription. Didn’t cross my mind because with everything if there is a payment problem I would get an email saying payment issue and I would just update my payment method. Talked to a Hulu rep and she said normally there is an email stating that but shows I wasn’t sent one. I bought Hulu on Black Friday $1 a month for a year... So I wonder is that the reason I didn’t receive a email. Now the only way I can resubscribe is at a higher rate which I was planning to do once my Black Friday promotion ran out. Just strange that a email wasn’t received.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Twice I've had everything in my cloud storage deleted by Hulu. This last time was the final straw. After the first, and after much discussion with Hulu, I thought it was a one time fluke... surely it would never happen again. BUT IT DID. $15/month for almost two years for DVR space and ZILCH to show. I'll never get Hulu again. And unfortunately, it was the only that had the lineup and channels I prefer. Too bad. Their explanation of why I can't get a full refund of the DVR payments is that I had too much activity on my account. In other words, because I watched Hulu almost every day, something I paid for too, they couldn't refund what I had also paid for but don't have anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hulu?

Original review: April 14, 2019

My son opened up him a Hulu account in his name. My son put his profile on my Amazon Fire stick to watch during his 30 day free trial and when his trial was up he did not have the money on his card to pay. Instead of Hulu canceling his account, Hulu went into my Amazon accounts and started taking payments from my credit cards through Amazon. Just because my son put his profile on my Amazon Fire stick. Hulu stole money from my credit card through Amazon for months. Please everyone be careful with your Amazon account and watch it closely.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Now, let me tell you, Hulu stinks. Number one, they NEGLECT to tell you that half the movies are foreign, and 2 for being a little more expensive. They cut out at least once or twice a night. NOT my internet connection either because Netflix and Prime work. Now my biggest complaint is that I had an unexpected issue with the card I use on the account. Just for ONE MONTH so I got a prepaid card to pay for the month.

Now, here's the kicker... I CAN'T USE A PREPAID VISA that cost me $5 to purchase to pay my Hulu but I can use a prepaid Hulu card which the snippy online agent told me I could purchase with the Visa gift card I already purchased to pay the bill. I don't have a degree but that's just foolish. So apparently Hulu has so many customers now that my service and patronage is not needed any longer. I should have known that when I asked for a ONE DAY extension on my service a while back and I disconnected them then. I should have never gave them my $$ a 2nd time around! Go with Prime.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Why are 85% (this is absolutely an estimation) of movies not in English? I understand having movies in other languages, but can you state that on the description. It is incredibly annoying to read the summary in English and then five minutes in figure this out. Also, there are so many cheesy/low budget movies. When I first signed up, I enjoyed it because I found many movies I had not watched. Can you add new ones every month, please? I signed up for the one year $.99 per month deal and will not be renewing after that year is up. Thank you very much, but no thank you very much.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Want to acknowledge Darlene ** with Hulu's customer service dept. She went above and beyond today. She was able to cancel out an account that my daughter created without any struggle or headache to me, and also updated my account to exactly what I wanted. When I tried to do it online it was charging me the difference in the new plan I wanted, however Darlene went out of her way to accommodate my wants. She was very clear, understood me completely and made me feel like a valued customer. Thank you Darlene ** for your amazing service today.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Every time I resubscribe to Hulu for a show, I remember why I cancelled. The ads are ridiculous. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime Watch and none of their ads are this annoying. They come up in the middle of the show about four times in TWENTY MIN show. And they do not come up at appropriate times or pauses - they come abruptly in the middle of a sentence, and it looks like it's about to shut down or something. Then the ads play, then it goes back to the show and rewinds about a minute. If there are going to be such frequent ads, at least integrate them in smoothly.

Hulu expert review by Jonathan Trout

Hulu is headquartered in Los Angeles and is owned by The Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Time Warner. You can watch current and past TV shows from its owners’ networks and content partners. It recently started offering a live TV streaming monthly subscription.

• Hulu limited: Hulu’s limited package costs $7.99 per month. Limited means you’ll have to sit through short commercials throughout the shows you’re streaming. You have unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library where you can watch full seasons of past and current shows, movies, kids shows and Hulu Original shows. You can also choose add-ons such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

• Hulu regular: For $11.99 per month, you can get commercial-free streaming; however, the fine print states some shows will still show commercials due to streaming rights. You still get everything the Hulu limited plan offers in addition to your commercial free (or almost commercial free) streaming.

• Hulu with live TV: Hulu with live TV gives you all of the benefits of a regular Hulu subscription plus live TV. Stream over 50 live and on-demand channels including popular news, sports and entertainment. You can choose add-ons like a cloud DVR and the ability to watch content on unlimited screens. A live TV subscription is $39.99 per month.

• No commitment: Hulu’s TV and movie streaming packages give you a 30-day free trial, and their live TV package gives you a seven-day free trial. After your trial is up, your monthly payments begin, but you can cancel online at any time.

• Supported devices: Stream Hulu on smart TVs, Apple TV 4th generation, Apple iPhone and iPad, Android phones and tablets, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick and Chromecast.

• Multiple devices: You can stream from up to two devices at once with Hulu’s plans.

• Best for: people wanting access to past and current TV shows and movies, as well as a live TV option.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout