2. Shopping
  3. Beauty Box

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

GLOSSYBOX Reviews

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I signed up to treat us during a difficult time in life. What we got was a fun time. Until three months into the subscription. I paid for one year. The December box was never dispatched. They claimed I cancelled which was full blown lie. Obviously. Finally, they said the ran out of boxes. Obviously that can't be true because I literally pre-ordered in September when I paid for one year in advance. Then they say they give me one month off. Huh? How? Impossible! I already paid. The December box was what we cared about so much. Don't mind us ordering other stuff too. We were treated like crap. Customers Service is below any standard.

The content of the boxes is below full size. When you go to the headquarters website, you will see they actually admit that all are samples. The Advent calendar was filled with cheap stuff and occasionally a better thing. All in all, a rip off company. They should be held accountable for their lies. Samples are free by most companies. Glossybox was our very first subscription to any company. And here we are. I have to find a way to get reimbursed because they will not care. Shame on the company for allowing this. I am upset over the lies a d miserable customer service. Lower than low! Money theft the modern way.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I'm not new to monthly beauty boxes. I previously been a member at Boxycharm and others. I have been a member of Glossybox for 4 yrs. The first 3 yrs I was a happy customer. When "the hut" took over things went downhill from the quality of products to the customer service. Now, "the hut" (glossybox) sends out emails about limited editions, they charge your account and then a month later when you inquire where your box is that you paid extra for, they respond with "of I'm sorry we sold out of that".

Being a member for 4 yrs with my subscription expiring may 2020, I can honestly say since the take over of glossybox by "the hut" it's terrible. I receive items I've received previously, broken items, or dried up items. They've taken a great thing and made it terrible. I've also removed my credit card info from the system on my profile but yet if I log back on it seems to reappear with auto renewal back on. I've finally had to call them to say remove my information and stop turning back on auto renewal. I will ultimately switch to the derm stores monthly box and say goodbye to glossybox forever because the service is not the same and they have excuse after excuse for their lack of providing a good service.

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Cancelled after a couple months because it was all deluxe and sample sized skin care, hardly any makeup, not worth the price at all.. Card got charged another 2 times after canceling, I had the cancel email, still couldn't get a refund.. Terrible customer service, fraudulent charges, bad products. Check them out on BBB, lots of similar issues. No one even reviews these boxes anymore because they're so bad.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

So I am on a low income and wanted to treat myself to one of these boxes for a while to see if they were good value. Through a promo link on FB Messenger I won a free Holiday Box with a purchase so was really excited to order one month with one box free for just $21. I signed up July 24th. The box arrived reasonably quickly but without the free Holiday box. I chased this up asking for a tracking number NUMEROUS times and every reply failed to provide tracking before I was eventually offered a $10 credit as the box hadn’t shipped, I declined this as this holiday box boasted 5-6 full sized products worth like $100 (allegedly). While continuing to chase further this missing box I was charged a further $21 for an August box!?

I signed up for ONE month, the month of July. I was told pretty much this was tough luck as I hadn’t cancelled my ONE month subscription by July 14th. I signed up on JULY 24TH so basically was not able to cancel by that logic meaning they falsely advertise a ONE month box knowing they are going to charge you further. I am STILLLL waiting for the free holiday box, I STILLLL have no tracking number and they are REFUSING to cancel and refund the August box because I could not time travel back to before I was a customer to cancel my future order.

The July box was also hugely disappointing and not even worth $21. I cannot comment on the holiday box as I STILL don't have it and see no sign of getting it either. Throughout the service has been TERRIBLE and they treat new customers appallingly. Bear this in mind that if you want to cancel to trawl the small print as they will rinse you for every penny and fail to help you. There is a reason they don't have reviews on Facebook. They are a terrible unethical company to deal with.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I bought a Glossybox as a gift to myself, when the products arrived I was very disappointed with how boring they were. I cancelled as soon as I received my first box so I was very surprised to see a payment taken the following month. I emailed them again and was told that I would receive a refund within a few days as the product was not dispatched yet. I have been waiting for my refund (told 3-5 days) when I received an email today that said my box was on its way. I have now emailed them again and have to admit their whole cancellation process is ridiculous. It shouldn't take 3 attempts to cancel a monthly subscription. I will totally avoid Glossybox after this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GLOSSYBOX?

Original review: June 1, 2019

They "fished" me with a generous offer for the 3 months. The products are not worthy and the subscription is set up in a way it is automatically renewed!!!! You know how it goes: The automatic renewal term is written in the FAQ or somewhere that one needs to look for, and once you get invoiced you cannot claim the money back... Pure scam disguised as "so sorry for your loss, you should have known better". Thank you for the lesson GLOSSYBOX.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I received the April box late, on the same day as the May box. When I opened it the tissue was all over the place, the ribbon was untied, there was no insert, shampoo was all over everything, and a little bottle of facial spray was uncapped and empty. I took pictures and emailed Glossybox. I got a response asking for a picture, sent one, and got a response demanding more pictures, which I sent. I clearly told them that the shampoo was all over the place. I did not ask for an entire new box, although it would have been appropriate. I then got a message saying that they felt that everything was fine, it was just some packaging that was ruined, and have a nice day. They claim that if you are unhappy, they will replace, and yet, they refused.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I've been charged for 2 boxes and have yet to receive either. Glossybox uses a less than known shipping service that has shown my boxes in transit for over 2 weeks. Had to cancel based on the poor shipping services alone.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am not a newbie to the monthly subscription boxes (I currently do Birchbox) and had such a wonderful experience with them that I thought I would also try another. I signed up and received my first box and thought wow this really good. The presentation of the box and products I received were great! I then had an email to subscribe in a rolling month (which I did) and then a few days later had an email about an offer they were doing for a cheaper price per month on a 12-month subscription so I thought great deal. I’ll do it.

I then had 3 payments go out of my account and I am due to receive 3 of the same boxes! I emailed customer service advised them of the issue and explained in no where did it state I would be adding a new subscription and not replacing my current. Something I should have checked but at no point did it state a new subscription. The customer service was horrific and basically just told me what I advised them which was the fact 3 payments have gone and I will receive 3 boxes.

At no point was there any empathy or even an acknowledgment that I was unhappy with what had happened! To which I responded explaining I already understood this and was hoping for a solution from them not the information I had already provided. To which I had another generic response reiterating what the first message was and asking me if I would like them to cancel the 2 other subscriptions for future. I have now asked them to cancel all my subscriptions as they obviously don’t care about their customers!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I am not new to subscription boxes. I have had Birchbox Ipsy and Boxycharm. I love my Boxycharm because they send full-size products. I thought that is what I would be getting with GLOSSYBOX but I was wrong. Not only are they low end products some of the products are sample size. I got a letter with my first box stating they ran out of the mascara for the box so they subbed a eye shadow palette. In Boxycharm when they send palette it is a full-size palette. What GLOSSYBOX sent was a tiny little sample size of TWO colors of eye shadow! I have gotten better products in my Birchbox and Ipsy which are half the cost of GLOSSYBOX. I cancelled the subscription immediately and will be going back with one of the others. If you want full-size products go with Boxycharm!

Protect your property with a home alarm

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home security system for you.

GLOSSYBOX expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GLOSSYBOX launched in Germany in 2011 and has since expanded to 10 countries, including the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. Subscriptions range from one month up to one year. Consumers receive at least five deluxe- or full-size beauty products of premium or niche brands in keepsake boxes.

• Customized: After subscribing, customers fill out a beauty profile, which influences the brands and products they will receive in their box. They can update their profile as their preferences change.

• Rewards: Customers earn GLOSSYDots for each box they purchase as well as completing surveys, submitting reviews and referring new customers. GLOSSYDots can be used to buy an extra box.

• GLOSSY REPORT: Interested consumers can read about beauty tips and tricks, new products and other related topics on the company’s blog, GLOSSY REPORT.

• Gift subscriptions: Consumers can purchase a gift subscription for their loved-ones. The recipient will be notified via e-mail and can then complete their beauty and style profile. Gifts are available as one-month, three-month, six-month or one-year subscriptions.

• Niche brands: GLOSSYBOX works with companies around the globe to bring new and niche brands to customers. This feature can help consumers discover new brands and products. GLOSSYBOX also works with well-known luxury brands.

• Best for: GLOSSYBOX has subscriptions boxes for women and is best for selective consumers and makeup lovers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team