1.30/5
Based on 92 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

213 Gevalia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have been a customer for many, many years. Last year I auto-subscribed. When I tried to change the frequency of delivery, the website wouldn't let me do that. I tried lots of different things and then decided I would cancel because I was stacked up with coffee. But, the website also wouldn't let me cancel. At the same time I got a new credit card - same number but new expiration date and CVC code. So, my auto-ship order would not process. Great.

Finally a way to end it - they had no way to bill it! I got notices every month for nearly a year saying my order could not be processed and prompting me to update my credit card info. This month out of nowhere I get a notice saying my order has shipped! I don't know how they were able to do that without the correct expiration date on the card! I contacted them immediately through their website with no response.

When the order came yesterday I called them and the message said there was a wait time of over 30 minutes!! Um, no. I'm not waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes. The website is still broken. I couldn't log in and the site wouldn't email me a link to change the password. Doing from another place on the site did accomplish that but, once in my account, it would not let me see my payment info or make any changes to my account in any way, including canceling the auto-subscription. I sent more messages, including one with a screenshot of what I could see of my account info being grayed out and unaccessible. That one was responded to today and they said they cancelled the subscription. We'll see. I'm just appalled at the non-functionality of the website, lack of access to payment info on my account, absurd wait time on the phone, and the fact that they would and could charge an expired card! I am so over you, Gevalia!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have ordered coffee from them with free shipping for more than a decade. Last year, Kraft/Heinz took Gevalia over and now the free shipping is not automatic. I get an email with a bill when a shipment is ready, I have to call in and go through a long list of prompts and wait time, and then finally Customer Service removes the shipping charge from the bill or puts a credit on the next order. This has happened four times and I am always told the system is fixed.

Today I received an email to check my order and I called immediately to change something. I was told no changes can be made, the order is already packaged up. Why send an e-mail with info for customer service if there is nothing that can be done? Again the shipping is on the bill. Carol, the agent I spoke with, told me she cannot transfer me to a supervisor or administrator. I called back, went through the prompts and wound up talking with her again. I closed my account with them, as have many of my friends, because although the coffee is fabulous, the hassles one needs to endure every month is just not worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: May 16, 2018

So we used to get our Tassimo Coffee from Staples, however, Staples started to not be able to deliver the Tassimo coffees for months, so my company decided to order it straight from the Gevalia website, well, what a night mare has that been!! Our very first order, we kept waiting for it, when we logged into the account day after day, it just said "in review"... After a WEEK of the order being in review I called and spoke to the person who claimed to be the manager, Chloe. Chloe told me that it was "in review" because they did not have a coffee from our order and they were waiting to get it back in stock. I told her THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, she stated they sent an e-mail to inform us, but no... they never did. I assured her that if such e-mail would have ever been received, we would have either cancelled that specific item, or would have replaced it with something else.

Chloe helped me cancel that item and shipped out what they did have... so fine... HOWEVER!!! We keep having the SAME ISSUES!!! On the second order, we just waited it out but now on our third order, again! It's in "review" for a week!! So again I call their customer service, except, this time "no one knows that it's been in review for a week"... really??? The agent has changed it to pending because the items are in stock, but again, no one knows what is going on.

When I asked the rep how long it will take, she said, "Items usually stay pending for 3-5 days, but I've seen them pend for 48hr the shortest"... then THE ITEM TAKES ABOUT A WEEK TO ARRIVE!!! This is complete unacceptable. I will be speaking with my co-workers to change our machine out for a Keurig and get our coffee elsewhere, because this has been a nightmare. Now I know why Staples can't ship them out either, they clearly have to wait MONTHS for their orders. Unacceptable, super disappointed.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I mistakenly sent Gevalia coffee an electronic payment of $900 that was meant to go to a credit card payment on Jan 25, 2018. I discovered the mistake on my next credit card bill when the $900 payment had not ben applied to my account. I contacted Gevalia Coffee on Feb. 19, 2018 and sent them screenshots to verify they had received the $900. They still have not returned my $900 and when I call customer service they just tell me that the "higher ups" are dealing with it and there is nothing they can do to help me. Today is March 28, 2018 and I still have not received my money back.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We have been devoted Gevalia customers for 20+ years. Customer service has always been excellent. Until now. In Oct, 2017, we received a past due notice. I checked, and found our bank account had been debited for the amount (electronic payment). I confirmed that there are debited payments that correspond to every one of our Gevalia orders. I called and was told that they would update their system and to ignore the notice. We received another notice in December, 2017 for the same thing. Called. Was told they slow in processing, ignore it. Just got ANOTHER notice. Called again, explained the situation.

This time I was told that they can't help me, we'll have to dispute it with the Collection Agency when they contact us. EXCUSE ME? They sent us to collections for what has already been confirmed to be their accounting error?! I objected. The rep was reading from a script, not listening to me at all. I asked to speak to a manager. I was told, "No, because they can't help you." I asked again, as I found her response unacceptable. Same answer. Asked again. Flat out REFUSED to allow me to speak to a manager. UNbelievable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gevalia?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

The coffee itself is fine - if you can get what you want. They have twice now discontinued certain flavors that I had always ordered, like the ground Creme Brulee Decaf, and I had to make a different choice. Their ground decaf flavored coffee selection used to be extensive; now there is only ONE choice - Hazelnut. And you can't get decaf whole bean AT ALL. I had been getting subscriptions for about the past 15 years. However, there have been issues when a credit card expired and I had to create a whole new account to get my subscription going again. The woman on the phone that time was helpful. However, now, I noticed I hadn't gotten a delivery in a while.

I logged on and first off, my login that I have ALWAYS used didn't work. Had to reset my password. Did so successfully, but once I logged it it was as if I had a new account - there was no record of any previous orders, my credit card info, or subscriptions! And the website is terrible - it is very difficult to get into the portion of the website where you can view your subscriptions in the first place. Am shopping around now to see if I can get a subscription elsewhere with an easier website and wider selection of decaf coffees. The only pro to Gevalia is cost - they are about half the cost (for Hazelnut ground decaf, anyway) for a 12-oz bag as from places like Counter Culture or Intelligentsia.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been a Gevalia customer for more than 20 years, and for the most part have had satisfactory service. Anytime I called, the call was answered and my concerns addressed. About two months ago, I wanted to reschedule an auto shipment, went to the website as I usually do and found that it was a new format, and I have been locked out of my account because the new website won't accept my user name. I have called at least eight times, waited on line an average of 20 minutes each time, left my number twice for a callback, and emailed three times.

One automated call back came and the voice said, "Thank you for calling, we're closed now;" the other call back just never came. Once I waited for almost half an hour, then the automated voice said, "Thank you for calling, goodbye." None of the three emails sent has ever been answered. Since I can't reschedule my order, I had planned to return it unopened, however, they will have debited my account and might not refund my money.

So, I can't reschedule my order. Can't cancel my account, and can't get any response from them. It is unbelievable that a reputable company would treat any customer this way, but especially one who has been with them more than twenty years. Can anyone find out what is going with this company? I don't have the account number or a receipt because it's all on the website that I can't access.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Purchase on 2/1/2017. I wanted to stock up some favorite Tassimo coffee when it was on sale. They never indicated "soon to be expired" on the website. They all expired in MAY. How shameful is that to sell ready to be expired coffee and now saying they can't do anything with this due to it passed 45 days guaranteed period??? Have you stated that on order confirmation email? Gevalia shame on you. I had bad experience with Gevalia 10 years ago. Now Tassimo sold to Gevalia which disappointed again. $100 just wasted. Never Again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I have been a customer for about 20 years and loved the product, as well as the accuracy of the auto delivery and easiness of navigating the website. All of a sudden, the website has changed and became impossible to navigate. My membership stated as started this June, despite my last order was sent in April. The next order supposed to be processed in the beginning of July which's never happened. Ever since I tried to communicate with the company via the website - it didn't work; then phone call - got the message that they are too busy and disconnect; next phone call - 4 hours hold (!) with no result; managed to send email - received auto response stating they are working diligently to solve my problem - and that all! 3 more emails - same result. No coffee and no customer service! Totally devastated! There is no matching product on the market while my favorite one became unattainable!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Exact same problem as Andrew of Lake Forest, IL described on July 25, 2017. Very long term customer. On automatic delivery. Got an email that told me our credit card had been declined (probably because I need to update the expiration date). Website will not let me edit anything. Sent email for advice. Got unrelated reply about how to change my password. Placed phone call. Apparently their system is overwhelmed. Told to expect 30 minute wait. Waited on hold until the system hung up on me. Sent an 3rd request email. Waiting for reply.

Original review: July 25, 2017

As a 10+ year customer of auto delivery, my latest shipment was cancelled because "your credit card expired," It did not. Called several times; after going through a ridiculous voice-mail tree I was put on hold and then told to "press 1 to received a call back. You will not lose your place in line." Right. Well, I was called back with a message that their volume was too heavy to call me! Tried several times, all with the same result. Today I tried to call and they won't even let you stay on hold or ask for a call back. Also, several "support tickets" that I submitted (per their automated request) were never responded to. I tried to cancel my account on line but can't even do that!

Original review: July 13, 2017

I attempted to start up an auto shipment for their cold brew coffee since my local store is prone to run out. The order went through, but the website never asked me to create an account from my order. Bad design. This meant that my order was not linked to any method that I could change it or ever cancel it! I attempted to immediately get them to cancel the order so that I could resubmit it *after* authenticating into my new account. Nearly a week later, this still hasn't happened and the first order has shipped.

I've sent them a request daily and updated my ticket daily basically pleading with them to cancel the order. I got one reply that told me to log into my account and edit it, despite me clearly stating that this cannot be done! Other than that, there has been no response. I want to get this canceled before my next shipment. If I haven't heard anything back in a couple more days, I will contact my credit card and ask them to deny payment. I hope this is an option. I've never had to do this before.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Gevalia just changed over from payments by check to payment by credit card only. I got the notice and since I have an account with periodic shipments I went to their website and created a "new" account. Then found out that the coffee we have been buying for years (Light Roast) has been discontinued, so settled for the House Blend. My original account was with Free Shipping.

After completing my order using my credit card, I noticed I had been charged shipping on my order. I called the Gevalia 800 number to try to get my free shipping back. Of course I had to listen to the 4-5 options before making a selection, but finally selected #1. After several rings a recording came online telling me that they were experiencing an unusually high call volume and advised I could either continue to hold or go their website where most answers could be found. I decided to hold.

After staying on hold for 38 minutes another recording came on advising again of the "high call volume" and then promptly disconnected me. I called back again, and again (to make a long story shorter) each time making a different telephone menu selection, get put on hold and then summarily disconnected after less than a minute on hold. Finally I tried menu selection #5, I think it was, and after an 8-10 minute hold time got a live person on the line. Told her my story about wanting to get back on free shipping. The Rep told me that she couldn't handle that and would transfer me to the billing dept.

Again, after a long hold... by now I had close to, if not more than an hour invested... I got disconnected. I called back again, using the menu selection #5 and after another long time on hold got a rep. I told her my story up to that point. She said she would put me on hold on her line while she called the billing dept. and once they answered she would connect me. I agreed. She even gave me her name. After about 20-25 minutes a different female rep picked up the line and asked if she could help me. I told her I was on hold waiting on Sally and as I was telling her why, I was disconnected again. Called back again, using menu #5 and got another rep named Justin. Went through the whole thing with him and asked to speak to a manager. Justin said he'd try to get me one.

After about 5-6 minutes Justin came back and said there weren't any supervisors available at this time. I'm wondering to myself "what the heck kind of company is this? I can't even talk to a supervisor." Justin said the best he could do, would be to give me a reference case number and a supervisor would be calling me back. I asked if the call back would be today, tomorrow, next year... Justin said he didn't know. I spent about an hour and a half trying to get to billing to no avail.

That was 2 days ago and still no call back and no way to talk to a supervisor. Somebody needs to clean house on the management in their call center(s) and fix the phone on hold system. This kind of lack of service is ridiculous. Makes me wonder if Gevalia is trying to get rid of online sales by pissing off their customers to point they will leave?

Original review: June 28, 2017

I have been a Gevalia auto delivery customer for at least 15 years. They had been a great company to deal with. I diligently paid by check on time for all these years. I recently received a letter stating they would no longer accept check payments and I would receive my coffee until 9-1-17 then if I had not gone onto their site to input my credit card information my account would be cancelled. When I first subscribed to this auto delivery I was promised I would have free shipping forever until I cancelled my subscription. I went on the site with intentions of entering my credit card information so that I could continue with the agreed upon order with free shipping. I discovered that I no longer could obtain the free shipping, so I refrained from entering the credit card info.

I finally spoke to someone tonight and asked whether the free shipping would still be extended. Justin could not answer that and transferred me to a "specialist". I stayed on hold 15 minutes, gave up and tried to call several more times. Finally spoke to Justin again. Justin said he would forward my concerns to a supervisor and have them call me. I have to wait 3 to 5 business days for that call. Meanwhile I can't get back onto my Gevalia account after just resetting my password last night. Now it won't let me even reset my password again. The big question is... Will they blame the Russians??? This is ridiculous, and this company has gone DOWNHILL. I no longer will do business with them considering my experience and the nightmares others have experienced.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I placed my first order with Gevalia for 3 bags of the Gevalia Signature Blend Decaf T-Discs. Pricing was expected, but I was unable to find this in the stores in town, so I clicked on the 2 day shipping. WOW! The shipping was almost as much as the whole order of the coffee. The order was immediately processed, I received a confirmation number, and my credit card was charged without the option to cancel or change the shipping to regular ground shipping. I tried to call the company numerous times, but was disconnected each time after listening to a robo menu telling me to go to the Help menu on their website. There was still no help from that menu, so I'm still calling and being disconnected.

I responded to the confirmation email, but got a rejected reply from my server. I finally found a "special request" email and sent a cancellation notification, but nothing from them so far. I contacted my credit card company and they said they had many complaints about Gevalia's customer service and their no reply to their customers. I will order my coffee from Amazon, but would NEVER use Gevalia's direct ordering again. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Beware of giving your credit card information!!! They are banned from using my credit card again!

Original review: May 5, 2016

Our children gave us a 12 cup programmable automatic coffeemaker as a gift... model #CM500W. We never used it as we had a working coffeemaker but we kept it packed in the original box in reserve for when we needed it. Well, the time came and we took it out of the box and used it 3 days ago. It worked like a charm and we loved it... Then this morning it just wouldn't work. The lights came on so we know it was connected but it would NOT brew. I called the "help" 800 number and explained the problem but since I did not have a purchase receipt and I told them that I think it was probably over a year old they would do nothing except replace it for about $90.00.

We are very senior citizens... My husband is over 90 years old and a World War II veteran. We followed the directions exactly. It did work the first and second time and then just stopped. I can't understand that I had it in the original box why it would be our fault for it not working??? You would assume that the coffeemaker would last much longer than that length of time. And it is hard for me to understand how the gentleman I spoke to told me since it was over a year old nothing will be done. It had NEVER been used before... NEVER. It is a Gevalia coffeemaker... How can this be?

Original review: May 4, 2016

After years of buying Keurig brewers and having each one break down within 6 months, I finally decided to try something different. Purchased Bosch Tassimo brewer. Salesperson said that brewer comes with free coffee much in the same way as Keurig does. Once the brewer was unpacked, I quickly learned that free coffee wasn't included. However unique to Tassimo, they want you to register your product online at www.tassimo.com, and with registration, Tassimo will mail me 2 boxes of pods for the brewer. When going to Tassimo.com, you are rerouted to gevalia.com. That's not a good start. Next you register providing serial numbers, etc. When you check the box for your free gift, their software application/form crashes! They suggest you call them. I did.

After a rather long hold, a very disrespectful woman takes the call and confirms that Gevalia has the reservation including all information. She enters the order and you are promised that within 24 hours you will receive 3 emails. One congratulating you on your purchase. Another providing you with a 15% discount on your first order. And the last email with a secret code used to redeem your gift. Within minutes I received the first 2 emails, and as of 30 hours haven't yet received the secret code.

So after 30 hours I called again. This time "Amy" takes the call claiming to accept complaints on behalf of Kraft, Tassimo and Gevalia. Learned that really isn't the case. She is in customer service for Gevalia and defended Gevalia's program wholeheartedly. She was able to confirm my brewer registration, however wasn't in position to override the secret code needed to release gift. After keeping me on hold for about 35 minutes, she transferred me to her supervisor, "Jason."

After another 20 minutes with Jason, I'm told that he can't figure out what went wrong, is unable to correct problem, can't provide gift and promises that within 48 hours an "administrator" will call to fix the problem. Your guess is as good as mine whether we ever hear from the administrator. My guess is that Gevalia does everything they can do to delay redeeming until you forget about it. Waiting another 48 hours is a good example that strategy. I'm curious if Tassimo, Bosch or Kraft is aware of the questionable business practices of Gevalia.

Original review: April 24, 2016

I enjoy this product. I have purchased this product at Walmart. The contents have been short in 2 boxes. The froth packages were short by 2 in 2 boxes. I have 1 other box which I has been opened yet. I will continue to buy this product. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

Placed an order on a special "buy 3/get 1 free" Tassimo coffee promotion. One product (purchased at $7.99) was available. Other product (purchased at $11.99) was on back order. Gevalia did ship first order. Maybe for internal billing on their end - they charge for all 4 but discount each as if only paying for 3. No problem - I dont mind - costs the same whether discounted 25% each or 4th free. HOWEVER, on 2nd order (the more expensive item) - they cheated me. They just reduce the cost of the each item from 1st order by another 25%, rather than off the $11.99.

So essentially - Gevalia cheated me $4. Not a big deal but its my right to not get cheated. When I called customer service - they were indifferent. Customer service supervisor was even worse. She said "I will speak with my team and call you back tomorrow." Who has customer service resolution - after being on hold for 32 min - that needs to speak to team to see where they went wrong on their end? I am such a loyal customer - now the $4 cheat is made worse by inability to credit me $4 - even on next purchase - locking me back in. How insane?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

Product is fine; Customer Service is terrible. Unpleasant and NOT helpful: They read from a script, super slow, rude, don't answer questions but ramble about stuff not asked, give false information.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I recently tried to find out if my Gevalia bags were recyclable. First operator had no clue but said she'd connect me to "product dept." No answer. I called again and 2nd operator said all paper is recyclable. I informed her Gevalia uses metal bags since paper would not hold a vacuum. She switched to Operator 3 who promised to find out while I was on the line. Her answer: "All glass, paper and cardboard products are recyclable." What about the bags? (She also had no idea how they were shipped.) "Call your recycling center." I had and they needed the bags' composition. "Hmm, I think recycled paper and stuff." I then tried to write from their website but got an error message "Illegal characters in comment section" even when blank. You can't make this stuff up!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2015

After reading the other reviews of Gevalia Coffee it looks like I'm not alone in my dealings with the company. When they stopped sending whole bean coffee I tried multiple times to cancel my subscriptions. The multiple account numbers they used made it difficult to keep track of what I owed for what items. I finally started returning all their shipments and only then did they stop sending them. I called to find out what my final balance was and was assured that the amount they gave me was my FINAL FINAL balance. I promptly paid that amount and now I received a collection notice from them for a higher amount. When I called and asked for a list of shipments and payments they told me that unfortunately they couldn't give me that information. That's ridiculous. I will never do business with Gevalia again and will tell everyone I know not to.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

Had been a customer for over 20 years. Then all of a sudden, incorrect orders, shorted orders, substituted orders, and even things I did not order came in. Coffee and product quality hit bottom. Then no products except a few types of coffee that I could purchase from local store and even at a lower price than online. After I found out Kraft had purchased company I understood. Profit above customer had come into play. So no more Gevalia, there are many other quality and much better selections online than Gevalia ever had even thought of having. Too bad.

Original review: May 21, 2015

When Gevalia was going through its changes, we received 2 separate shipments. We returned both of them because the shipping was like paying double for the coffee. We could have got the coffee from our local supermarket. We did not know that we had to call them to tell them that we were returning the shipments. When I received the first bill, I called and was told that our account was clear of any required payments. We received a second bill. I called again. One rude associate said to me, “so you received the shipments and now you don't want to pay?” I say to anyone thinking about using this company to get their coffee from -- do not do it. They will rip you off. I hope they enjoy the 23 dollars because that is the last they will receive from us. We have been loyal customers for over 10 years. Good riddance to a trashy, crooked, company.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

I love the Gevalia brand of coffee, that is until the trusted company after 23 years of impeccable service and coffee, sold their business to Kraft Foods. My morning love affair has been cut off. Kraft has dropped Kona coffee from the product line...I suppose too expensive to carry now that the company has been restructured. Gone, are the higher standards of coffee, once offered to loyal customers. Thank you Kraft for turning Gevalia into Gubment Cheese. How utterly American...

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

All the coffee makers that I had owned stop working without any warning. I made a pot of coffee and 20 minutes later decided to make more and all of a sudden it just stopped. Have experienced that with three pots, two I ordered and the other one was a gift. I enjoy the various types of coffee but the coffee makers has no longevity.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

Bought two bags of House Blend from Walmart on 10/30/2014 paid $6.78 per bag plus tax. The coffee was stale and tasted like crap which ruined my mornings since opening both bags to find they both tasted awful when brewed. I called Kraft Foods who owns Gevalia to complain. The nice lady took down my information and told me how sorry they were. She said I will receive a coupon to replace them. What I received was one (1) $3.00 coupon to replace the two bags of sour coffee that I trashed. Unfortunately, I will not buy another bag of Gevalia because this has happened before and occurring too frequently. Hate to waste money on bad coffee.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

After several years of receiving a recurrent order the coffee was replaced by a different/darker/roast without a prior notification. I contacted Gevalia on the phone and was given a credit. When I asked about the return instructions I was told not to ship the coffee back but to give it to someone. So I happily proceeded with giving the shipment to my neighbor who liked darker coffee. To my amazement my credit card was still billed and despite a lengthy dispute I still had to pay for the product that I never intended to purchase and was told not to return by their own employees.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

I have attempted to cancel my auto-ship orders at least three times through their web site. They say that the shipments may be canceled by request with an email. I receive a letter in the mail that I can call (which is hard due to my schedule - they only have daytime call hours) or cancel via the web site. The consequence is nothing happens! The product is great - the service is bad.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2014

I purchased 6 boxes of K cups with one dollar coupon in box and K cups are empty!!! I was a Folgers coffee drinker but enjoy your coffee better. I thought my Kuriq maker was at fault and took it to a dealer. What is going on with empty K cups. Please advise. The store will not refund my money and said write to the company. Very disappointed! Numbers on Box 2015 Apr 27 J850525 AE1. I expect to hear from you Please.

Gevalia Company Information