Geeks.com

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Geeks.com: my advice would be DO NOT buy from them unless you are in the US. They claim they deliver to Australia. I paid with my credit card, then received an email that they are "currently reconsidering their payment policy" they haven't put on their website yet. And that they will only accept a wire transfer ($20 fee + extra days of waiting). When I asked them to stick to the terms on their website, they turned deaf and rude (did not bother to respond back). Unprofessional, unclear in their terms, wasted two days of my life. By the way, the funds they authorized on my credit card (yes, they did not accept my card yet took funds from it) may remain blocked for another 30 days.

I bought a PC from **** and what they sent me was a non-working PC. They requested that I send it back and I did so. Once I had returned it, they said they did not have a suitable replacement so they refunded the cost of the PC. However, they have refused to refund the $64.78 that it cost for me to ship it back to them.

Overpaid for shipping on second day; didn't receive it for five days. No one will refund my money or any portion of it.

Don't count on these people for quality service.

I purchased a refurbished HP computer (HP Compaq dc7600 Pentium 4 3.2GH) for $169.99 on 27 May 2011 via PayPal. I received it in about a week after my purchase. I tried to use it on my existing system (i.e. monitor, keyboard, etc.) but I could not set it up completely. In trying to effectuate the setup, I somehow lost the installed MS Windows Home edition program. I wrote twice to Geeks.com for help. I have not heard a peep from them. They are just ignoring me. I have bought other items over the past 1-2 years with satisfaction; but this is the first time I needed their help after the purchase. They are on my "rogue's list" now and I will not buy from them again. I am taking them off my subscription list. I am out the $169.99 as of now. It makes a good bookend.

I received a Biostar motherboard from them in March of 2010. The motherboard was defective so I returned it at my expense. I got another defective one and returned it. Then I got another one which is defective but this time, I complained and they paid for return shipping. I was able to get a promise of an in-house credit to use on my next purchase but, to this day, the in-house credit does not show up when I try to use it.

I have contacted the company many times by e-mail, and my last few e-mails have gone unanswered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geeks.com?

I purchased a DVR-4GB-PEN - 4GB USB Digital Pocket 640x480 Video Recorder and Ballpoint Pen for $40.99 and paid shipping of $9.00 for a total of $49.99. The item was defective so I had to return it. Since I am from another country, I had to pay $15 USD to return it. When the item was replaced, I had to pay $5 USD to clear it. This item was also defective. Now, I have to pay $15 USD to return it. The company says its policy is not to pay for shipping returns. This is unfair to me since both items were defective. Now, I will end up paying almost double for this item while this company will continue to sell defective items.

The "debranded" computer I bought from Geeks.com was defective. So I returned and paid my own shipping. They told me nothing was wrong and shipped it back. Now, it fails again, so they are willing to pay the shipping for me and reexamine.

The thing I want to point out is not that, however. Their debranded computer seems to be problematic in general (GPU error). I searched online and found HP recall model "slimline 3120n" to be similar. Since the brand on my computer was "Global" (the original manufacturer in China), I think they are trying to dump the defect stock that HP stopped buying. Please tell me if that action is legal or not.

For the last couple of years, I have been ordering things for mostly family members from geeks.com computers, motherboards, memory and almost every time they fail to send all that is included with the purchase like drivers, cables and etc. Sometimes, the product is broken in the package, on three different occasions for me. But this last time, my mother bought me a server motherboard combo kit for my 38th birthday and when I received it, low and behold, the driver disk wasn't there, the IDE cable wasn't there, the SCSI cable wasn't there and one of the CPU heat risers looked like it was stepped on.

Now when you call them, they will give you a RMA no. and a printable label so you can return damaged items at your cost. Yes, I know how generous of them and because the family members I did the repairs for ordered the parts with their credit or debit cards, geeks will only talk to them. Unfortunately they do not know anything about the parts of a computer. So geeks.com will just frustrate you until it's no longer worth the time and effort, it would just be easier to go to the local computer parts store and pay twice the price, which after dealing with geeks.com seems like a bargain.

So this is a friendly warning. Their ad wording is deceptive and their customer services [are bad]. Just think long and hard before you order. Well my mother was heartbroken because she felt like she bought me trash for my birthday and now she’s out $80.00, but hey what the geeks care. They made their sell.

I bought a computer with this company **. On the website, it stated that the system did not come with any operating system. I understood that. When I received the computer, I had a technician installed a brand new operating system. Then a few problems came up. First they debranded the computer and did not want to speak to me about resolving the issues. The tech said on the website, that the system had no driver and it would not work. Now, if I saw that, (which is a lie) I would not have bought this computer. they keep blocking my calls and avoid my complaints. Now I have no computer and no help. My OR number is 340 644. This computer came with no operating system and I'm not able to install any operating system because they debranded the system. So it's useless to work with.

Geeks.com Company Profile