1.19/5

60 ESPN.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 4, 2019

And when you cancel on the first day of a free week trial, they send you a cancelled on your PayPal but then start charging you anyway after the first week. Then you have to go to PayPal, blah blah. I'll never use ESPN again.

Resolution response: April 29, 2019

My refund was finally issued to my credit card but only after I huffed and puffed and put the charge in "dispute" with my credit card company and filed this complaint which I can now happily say is resolved.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I ordered the magazine last year and it was ok but I never found the time to use the subscription, either online or the print magazine. I just received my monthly credit card statement and saw a charge to my credit card of $39.99. I called the telephone number that appeared on my credit card statement to advise that I did not wish to renew and the subscription should be cancelled and a refund processed, as I did not authorize the charge. The ESPN representative processed it and I thought that was it. Well today I received an email from ESPN Plus Customer service which says "we do not provide refunds or credits for partially used billing periods". I will now dispute the BS charge with my credit card bank and if necessary sue ESPN and my credit card bank as recommended by Consumer Affairs. BEWARE!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

The commentary by Sky Sports for F1 racing has just about taken all the pleasure out of watching these events! The incessant blathering, giggling, and just plain inane chatter makes the coverage painful to watch! How I miss the insightful commentary of Steve Matchett and his obviously understanding of and ability to explain technical aspects of the sport! This is completely lacking in the current coverage. It would be wonderful if ESPN would supply their own announcement crew to substitute for the pitifully inane coverage by the Sky Sports staff.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Coverage of LSU-MISS ST Baseball game 3/28/19. The announcers broadcast more of their food spread and stadium view than they did of the baseball game for the entire first 3 innings. Very frustrating as a viewer to sit through such nonsense. Guys, please stick to baseball, not food commentary.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Viewing the Monday night college BCS final on the ESPN channel was made difficult by the incessant talking by the two commentators. Kirk had many opportunities to let the game "speak for itself" but let his enthusiasm of the moment overtake him. Recommend that ESPN management replay the game and just listen. It will be apparent that the game itself was background noise while Kirk and Chris were center stage. Hope this review can help improve the product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ESPN.com?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Why have you taken 1/3 of my TV to show talking heads. I want to see the action, not ex jocks. You are making a great game BAD. If you have not made an adjustment by halftime, I will not be watching the game. I might as listen to it on radio. Shame on you ESPN.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Every time I try to watch a game on ESPN the announcers only want to talk. They talk so much that they almost always talk through announcements of what the penalties are. ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this type of behavior. It seems to be all about what they have to say instead of the refs. I have 2 words for them. SHUT UP! I try to watch alternative channels instead since this has been going on for sooo long.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I've watched all the bowl games up to the College football Semi finals, On every game they talk more about the top four teams than the game they are suppose to be covering. What a slap in the face for all the other teams that worked hard to get to a bowl game, they make it sound like all the other bowl games aren't important. I wish NCAA would drop ESPN and go elsewhere for coverage where the analysts aren't Bias.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My local college basketball game was scheduled to come on and instead we still have 10 minutes of a football game still showing so that means most of the first half of the basketball game. It's funny the top rated schools don't have this happen to them. ESPN says to go to the SEC Network. I can't get the SEC Network or download an Android app.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I hope the NCAA and FCC review the programming practices of ESPN. Last night the #2 team in college basketball was playing a primetime game that was supposed to be televised nationally but ESPN pushed viewers to their app rather than move it to a different ESPN station. That behavior is completely self-serving and not in the fans' best interest. I hope someone steps in and breaks the monopoly ESPN has over college sports.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I signed up for ESPN Player as an alternative to watch US college sports here in Europe. After a few months of hit and miss service, I sat down to watch some March Madness. The lagging, the disconnects got completely hopeless. I contacted their online chat for assistance, and after a while, the only suggestion they had was to remove the app, and then re-install it. As I had failed to be impressed with the service so far, or the customer service solutions I there and then asked them to cancel my account, and refund my money. They could not do that, so in a follow up mail to customer service I told them that the App was permanently deleted, and to not renew it. They renewed it anyway, and are putting it on me, the customer, to prove that I requested for them to cancel it 8 months ago. For the record; I have a decent internet connection (download 250-300 Mbps) so the problem getting a fast and stable connection was not on my side.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Maui Invitational - I know this is the wrong thread, but please get Bill Walton off of commentary, this dude is (I hope at least) on pills and whatever talking nonsense on these games. I feel bad for the guy commentating with him. Literally please review your tapes and get him off asap. 2 days in a row I wanted to watch a few games and changed the channel. Like for real please review this b.s.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I thought ESPN game announcers should be impartial but in this game tonight it seems there is literally a love affair by the announcers with the Dodgers and literally hoping the Dodgers win the game, the Division, and probably the series. I am turned down the sound and am listening to Denver KOA radio.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

When NFL games or MLB games conclude there is a conversation area you can click on and see comments about the games. Now all you see is scammers offering URLs where you can see free games. I click on one where it showed 38 comments...to my dismay over 30 of them were scammers. I believe ESPN has a way to block this nonsense...it's not just me complaining as I see others bothered as well.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I opened my 7 day 5$ a month free trial account on July 4th 2018 to try and watch the Dodgers as I am near L.A. only ESPN+ does not carry the dodgers in my area, when I learned of this I immediately deactivated my account with ESPN. On July 11th I was charged 29.98 by ESPN for my subscription, only I had no account to have a subscription. For one that is false advertising to have 5$ a month for ESPN+ but fail to mention that the MLB package makes it 30.00 a month? What? I have called 7 times and gotten "We can't find your account" to "Yes I understand, I will put in a REQUEST for a refund" then received emails rejecting my refund due to my "agreement". What agreement? I deactivated my account hours into having it.

I have sent numerous emails and have talked to really nice people who try to make sense of this horribly designed software and disconnected website set up. I don't care if Disney owns ESPN. Just because they are two huge corporations does not mean they can rob a struggling full time student with three children to feed. I am so bummed.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am a regular viewer of the NCAAW basketball Game day show hosted by Maria Taylor. Maria does a awesome job of hosting the show and clearly knows and understands basketball. What is troubling though is that when the other panelist on the show, Lobo, the Coach or invited guest speak the camera will zoom in on the person speaking, however, when Maria speaks and provides her analysis the camera will NOT zoom in, thus keeping all of the panelist in the view. I thought this was a one time thing, but this is routine practice. How come Maria can't get any individual camera time? In keeping with the times, I think it is very important to have a ** female role model for young girls to look up to, especially in a male dominated field. I am a ** male and would like for my daughter to see someone like her on television getting equal treatment. ESPN y'all gotta do better. It's really sad.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I do not enjoy listening to Mr. Bilas cover ANY college basketball game. I do not wish to hear his comments. Let him stick to calling the game. He is extremely annoying to listen to. I turn the volume off and just watch the game. He has gotten progressively worse in calling college basketball games. He and Bill Walton need to be replaced and excused. Terrible disservice to the fan.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I loved Finebaum's show. With the addition of Laura Rutledge I am no longer a regular viewer. Laura consistently states falsehoods. She yells into the microphone and continues to make it all about her. Laura, during the sec championship halftime was standing behind some kids, who were getting their pictures taken and they were of course on TV. Laura ruined the shot by putting rabbit ears on their heads. Sorry she is all about herself and she is sickening to watch. I've tried.

Original review: July 7, 2017

This app is rated E for everyone. I have three children and a husband. ESPN came out with her 2017 Body Issue featuring both naked men and women. As Christians, you can imagine our surprise when we saw the new today. I was appalled as a wife. My 26 year old daughter was wide-eyed looking at the 26 year old girls showing their ** to the screen on their father's computer. And our two boys who are under age are sports fans and should not be subjected to new today. They have given this a rating of E for everyone. I am not sure if this is the right venue but this is where I'm going to start. This is not rated E for everyone. It is **.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I have twice tried to contact ESPN with a complaint about their morning programming, once using Google Chrome and once using Firefox. In both instances, once the complaint had been fully typed in (170 words) I am told "You may not proceed - we suspect you are a bot." Everything I have entered is wiped out and I'm sent back to their home screen. Seems pretty obvious that they're just dumping any correspondence that comes in under their "complaints" option.

Original review: July 20, 2016

I have emailed ESPN footy tipping on numerous occasions and requested a phone call to find out why the glitch in their system stuffed up all of my tips one weekend and hence me missing out on my tips for the weekend. I am not interested in the main comp that I was 250000 on the list, I was having a really good comp within the family and now that is finished.

I have not received a phone call as apparently not one at ESPN person has a phone and the email responses from some drone keeps telling me to push certain buttons (+ or -) and won't advise how a phone number pops up when I push the margin numbers. They tell me it is a phone number that I apparently copy and pasted over, however if you look at photograph that I sent over you will note it is all your margin numbers in a row. But apparently again that's my fault. The fact that you don't call, care or even explain yourself is pure arrogance.

Original review: July 14, 2016

I have supported and participated in many ESPN established and owned products. Watched ESPN since it started, subscribed to The Magazine, donates to Jimmy V foundation (through ESPN) and was crazed about the ESPYs since day one. Today I am going to suggest to all around me and all my previous football alumni and all my business partners that we all pull together to knock out of our lives ESPN and their family of entities. Last year with giving Kate Jenner the Arthur Ashe award and yesterday's Basketball Celebs speaking of only a one-way racist belief. ** on ** instead of ** on ** and ** on ** is a massive incorrect bias and ESPN's board and ownership lets it continue. ESPN needs to get back to a neutral stance or better yet, stay to its model of reporting SPORTS. Read your original "creed"/mission statement.

Original review: July 13, 2016

I subscribed for one year and have never gotten access to the Insider which I want. Your system is so security tight that I can't access ESPN even though I paid you directly and I subscribe via SLING on my ROKU. However I get the MAGAZINE WHICH I HATE. I never wanted it and I don't want you to keep killing trees to print outdated info. I can't get a real person on the phone from customer service. So bottom line - nothing from ESPN yet I just saw a $86 payment that I didn't authorize. I would send an ESPN number from the magazine label but there are four and have no idea what is relevant. I am old and want my money back. Note: ESPN is losing customers because you make it impossible for noncable subscribers and make it so security tight an old guy like me is locked out! I would like my money returned or at least I would like to know how to log in to what I paid for. SHAME ON YOUR CONSUMER UNFRIENDLY SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I am looking into the possibility of suing ESPN for false advertising. Their TV advertisement says I can stream the game on any device. NOWHERE does it say I "have" to be a cable subscriber! Since their advertisement is being broadcast over the air, this is a "critical" piece of information and makes them appear to be providing services that they are "not"! This is apparently a service of the cable provider and "not" ESPN! Please, ESPN, correct your advertisement or I will enjoy exhausting every option I have available to get you to be honest! (Fat chance, I know ...)

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I see that you are exploiting Women on your Morning Sports Center. My Children and I watch it until this Morning. Women who looking like "Hookers" talking sports with dresses so short and tight that if they bent over you could see their underwear. I know you are losing subscribers at a rapid pace.

Original review: March 22, 2015

Technical glitch lead to inability to participate. The customer service was of no use, they flat out refused to help. Fix all glitches or get a new system.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2009

How dare you cut to commercials when a team made a touchdown?! Your commentators are not good but they seemed to get their conversation in even if they had to talk over the football. The commercials shown during the game were of the lowest form of garbage ever put on TV. You make yourself look like scum with those commercials. When you go broke, don't ask for a bail out.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2008

Announcers began showing statistics about the outcome of presidential elections when neither of the teams won the game the night before the election. We were hoping to watch a football game free from being bombarded for almost two years of political advertisements. The college games we watched on Saturday were a blessing in that there were no political ads. Enough is enough. Please announce the football game instead of trying to guess who the next president will be based on which team wins.

Original review: April 13, 2006

My son's subscription to the magazine expired. We ignored notices to renew. The magazine stopped coming but the notices didn't. The last notice said that it was a final notice from the collection department that if he didn't pay in seven days, it will become a permanent record on his credit. I called and they said they would cancel it. I asked why I was in collection and they said it was an automatic renewal. This was not true, and the magazine was never delivered after the original expiration date. I feel that they are using unethical methods to get people to renew subscriptions.

Original review: April 5, 2006

First of all I am writing on behalf of my family. We watch the champions league program on ESPN 2, one of their commentators is called Tommy Smyth. Yet again, this man has made another bigoted statement against the English. This time when the other commentator said that a team manager wanted to manage the England soccer team, Smyth replied, "Well then some people's tastes are a lot to be desired then." He has made other statements like this over the years. Anything to do with the English or a Scottish team called Rangers, he has made similar comments. ESPN has failed to deal with this man and he still spews his disgusting personal views.

ESPN.com Company Information