eMusic

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Those people are scammers... I created an account to see what is there, because their trial period of 7 days require a registration. Very quickly I figured out that it's not for me and cancelled it. For 7 months I didn't receive any emails from them and by chance I discovered that I was charged all this time for services I never used... Wrote to customer service which basically told me "Too bad for you..." Very disappointed with the way they handle business. Now I realize that they don't send invoices or notifications that monthly credit was issued exactly because they don't want to remind you that you are being charged, hoping you won't notice.

Peers in online industry (Scribd, Audible) usually send an email, once your card is charged and monthly credit allocated, notifying you that you can use it now. Even if I knew my account was active I would have no idea that I am supposed to use this credit within a month, otherwise it expires... What a dirty way of making profit!

I was offered a trial period with a free audio book download but I was never able to complete the transaction and eMusic.com gave me the runaround for some time. I knew their "resolution" would put me outside of their trial period so I ended my subscription. I was still in contact with eMusic.com in order to get my free offer but after several communications they eventually stated they could not help me because I don't have an active membership.

I placed my eMusic account on hold in October. I tried to log in and use the credit I had of $11.99 (amount charged in October). Credit was gone and I'm not able to do ANYTHING until I update my CC info. I have emailed the company several times asking to update the account to use MY credit that I already paid for and they keep SAYING update CC. Well I no longer want the account and just wanted to use my credit. I just sent an email on 02/19 asking to just REFUND my $11.99 to the card it was charged to. GUESS WHAT on 02/22 I get a notice saying they tried to charge my card AGAIN!!!

I bought a thumb drive that came with a free trial for emusic.com for 5 free song downloads. When I signed up for the free trial, the website said that if I don't cancel after the first month, my credit card will be charged $14.99 per month. I downloaded my 5 free songs and immediately cancelled my membership. Emusic.com has been charging my card $31.99 per month since the day that I signed up and cancelled (the same day). When I try to log in to their site to try to figure out what I can do, a message pops up that there is no account associated with the email address that I provided. There is no contact info on their page so I have no way of letting them know that they have been charging me all these months against my will. This site appears to be a huge scam.

I have been an eMusic customer for 9 years now. In the past when my monthly balance zeroed, I bought booster packs. Accounts max out after a certain amount & customers cannot purchase until the next billing cycle & the account balance refreshes. Over the last three days I've attempted to purchase booster packs only to get an error message telling me my request cannot be processed at this time and to try again in a few minutes. All attempts met with failure and the same system error message. Checking my emails, I'm not over my limit - yet this issue has not been resolved and I've written them 7 times asking for someone to help me with this matter. The only response I have received has been 2 stock form letter emails acknowledging that they got my letter - no one has addressed my concerns, no one has helped me. I really didn't want to cancel my account, but this is horrible customer service and clearly they don't care about customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eMusic?

I had some issues with downloading new music. I had installed Windows 10 and there seemed to be some kind of in face with the download process. I tried a bunch of times but was unable to resolve. I went to the site and went to the chat selection. I was contacted by a great customer service rep who was also a wiz on the computer. I allowed him to take control of my system and he spent at least 20 minutes fixing the download issue. On top of that, he gave me 10.00 extra for my time and trouble. I could not ask for better customer service.

Perhaps I didn't read the agreement, however I've found that my unused points are not carried over to the next cycle. I've had a hell of a time downloading from Emusic since I converted to Windows 10. Because of the difficulty I went several months without downloading music, only to find that my credit card was charged all along but instead of having accumulated several months of credits, I only had one month's worth of credits. They take your money and if you don't use the service, your money and credits are gone. Emusic is apparently a scam. If this is their policy, fine, but it should be in BOLD letters and somewhere in their FAQs and not buried somewhere in the terms of use.

The selection of music has dropped considerably for the past couple of years. In other words there is not a wide selection to choose from. I will cancel out my account with eMusic either this or next months and try something else??

Over a number of years, I purchased a large collection of music from eMusic at a cost of hundreds of dollars (they zero your unspent balance every month, e.g. take something for nothing). However, when my computer crashed and I tried to download a second copy of the songs I have paid for, it is prohibited. They addressed my complaint with a $50 credit (which I had a month to use before they zeroed the balance). Since there isn't a way to see a comprehensive list of the songs in my library (it's only by artist, then album, then song), I left with nothing but a sense of betrayal, and dismay at how they treat "valuable" customers.

On July 3, 2015 I tried to create an account with eMusic so that I could begin to download some of my favorite music for my iPod and my iPhone 5s. I entered the email ** - instead of this email that I had to for my new account, it selected another one I believe randomly and charge my debit card 3199. Since over three years ago or more I used eMusic, I thought to myself or maybe it's time to just download and bite the bullet. I started downloading Pitbull, Christina Aguilera and some of my other favorite artist.

I browsed the eMusic folder to where I normally would download music for that particular company. I noticed that the file that was downloaded was 0.emx. I attempted to download three more songs but apparently the same file was downloaded which overrode the existing file. I tried calling their phone number 1-866-240-9271 and kept getting a Walmart message that I won a chance to receive $100 gift card. I called numerous times with no success.

On July 5, 2015 I called my bank TD bank to initiate a dispute. TD bank as usual said that I have to wait 'til next Friday to file the dispute. I am going to file the dispute. eMusic should be called style and possibly criminal charges imposed on them. Since there are so many complaints about this company, they should be allowed to do business with the public. eMusic, I want my damn money back. I have no idea what email they used. I checked all the emails that I do use on a regular basis for gaming and otherwise. No email from eMusic is available. In addition to no order number, I have no receipt - the only images I have are the screenshots showing the emails that I've used in the last few years but those are not the emails that I used this time.

I received a card with my daughter's mp3 player for 20 free songs for joining their monthly membership plan. We had planned on paying the $5/month for the subscription UNTIL we started browsing their music selection. If it is something played on the radio they do not have it. All songs are tributes to or renditions of other modern day artists. They also do not have anything remotely new. We decided to make the best of it considering it was free and my 9 year old wasn't too worried about who was singing some of her favorite music.

Well that too didn't work out as everything I attempted to download failed. I tried for 2 hours to get 1 song to download and even after the 2 hour wait it failed. I then just decided it wasn't worth the hassle and canceled to account altogether. I will NEVER EVER attempt to use eMusic again nor would I EVER recommend it it anyone. Save your time, your money, and your sanity and just stick with iTunes!! The ONLY thing I was satisfied with was how easy it was to cancel, thank goodness: www.emusic.com/cancel and a few clicks later you will be done with them for good!

I HAD BOUGHT a MP3 and had free music download from Emusic but it isn't free. It's 31.99 a month. I DID THE PROCESSING AND LOOKED FOR THE MUSIC I WANT, MUSIC I LISTEN TO. I LISTEN TO Christian music Newsboys, Bethal, Jesus Culture, Hillsong, Jars of Clay, CHRIS Tomlin, Castle Crowns and so I tried to cancel immediately.

Five minutes later it cancel me but wouldn't credit me and there is no way to credit your account. I am angry and upset and disappointed I can not get my money back when the whole entire process was labeled and described on the card you receive to be 25 downloads and on ebook download free and none of that was true.. Please help I just want the number to credit my credit card.. and I do not want the service or the Song credits. Want my money credited back in full 31.99.

I called E-music to cancel several months ago and they talked me into waiting. Circumstances have changed so that it makes it imperative that I cancel all unnecessary expenses! My bank filed a form with them to stop the auto debit but they continue to dock my account. I intend to call the BBB tomorrow and set them wise about this crooked company.

Two years ago I cancelled my account with eMusic. I personally called the company to cancel the account. One year after that phone call, I noticed that my credit card was still being charged. Today I logged on to my account which should have a zero balance to find that I am still being charged illegally for something I cancelled more than two years ago. This is unbelievable. I have disputed the item and my credit card company said I would need to dispute it every month.

To add insult to injury there are two customer service numbers that do not work for the company. 1-866-240-9271 is disconnected and 1-212-201-9240 gives you an email address to contact them for complaints and redirects you back to the disconnected number. My plan was 11.99 monthly. I haven't even used the service in over two years that I am paying for. As an active duty service member this disturbs me because this company is taking advantage of people. It's not even a good service to stream music which is why I canceled the service to begin with.

Tried to cancel about 3 weeks ago. Got someone on phone and was convinced to keep acct with a 47$ credit for staying. Tried to use it recently and it was not credited to account. When tried to call discovered the phone number no longer worked for the account email for **. What should I do? The credit has a time limit.

I received a coupon with the purchase of mini speakers for eMusic.com for a free trial period and $20.00 music download. During the registration part, I was told that your credit card information was needed only to verify you had no prior free trial period, however, they immediately billed my credit card for $31.99. Now note I signed up for $15.99 prescription. I was unable to sign in and they kept requiring that I choose a plan and provide credit card info.

After several failed attempts, I spoke with a customer service and found my Yahoo account had been compromised and I changed my Yahoo acct. Then and only then could I log on, but I lost the free 10 day trial period and use of the $20 coupon. On day 4, I was refunded the $31.99 and then charged $20.99 for the old and outdated music that I would never choose to buy. On day 11, I was charged $15.99 but no one seemed to know exactly why.

After sending repeated inquiries to eMusic.com by e-mail, they agreed to refund my $15.99. I cancelled the subscription because they upgraded my plan to the most expensive one and then charged me to put it back to my original choice. I bought the music but cannot download on my phone or iPod. I sill have a balance but the music is so outdated, I don't know a song 20 years old that I would want.

Have used them for a couple of years. Consistently have had problems with their download devices but this time it went over the top. Tried to download to iTunes...wouldn't work. They gave me some instructions that no one in their right mind would be able to follow. Wasted half an hour on this. Downloaded again, changed the option to Windows Media Player and ran into an o.emx issue. Huh? So I asked for $$$ back and they said, "No, we'll give you a free month and we can try to fix it so you will have to allow one of our techies to get into your computer." No way. Called Amex and set up a dispute.

I can't get through and they keep taking money out of card every month. I want it to stop now, no more. It has been like that for several months. I need my money back. I don't use the site, never have. Please help me.

I want to throw a brick through their window. Not only did they screw me out of over 30 downloads, when I complained they deleted my account. DON'T EVER DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE.

I received a free eMusic account when I purchased an MP3 player. I have followed all directions regarding the account, but (1) I have never been able to download the 25 free songs I was promised, or (2) I cannot find any way to cancel my account. There is no phone number for eMusic on the eMusic.com website, nor is there a workable way to end and email to the company. It appears that the company is a complete scam.

Several years ago I bought a computer from QVC. EMusic was a 30 day trial that has turned into years of a nightmare. I called eMusic several times using the phone number on my bank statement (number is no longer listed) but the persons who answered would not cancel the account. Thinking they had my debit card number, I had my bank change the number. I asked my bank to stop paying and for an exorbitant price they would do it. How eMusic got my bank account number I do not know. Since that time my email has changed because it was compromised. My old email addresses were ** and **. Can you please help me get rid of eMusic? It would also be nice if they repaid the money they have stolen from me.

I signed up for a trial to try and get some songs. I couldn't get any and thus forgot about it. Six months later, I found out that I have been charged $31.99 a month without any notification from the company. I check my bank account electronically several times a month and only saw it this time because the purchase happened yesterday. I normally make a lot of purchases a month and so the previous ones just blended in with the rest.

I checked my emails and had received no notifications whatsoever except for the initial welcome to the trial email. I had simply forgotten all about it and so they managed to charge me about $190 over 6 months before I noticed. I was able to contact the company after phoning my bank to ask about what the charge was and they gave me an email. The company was willing to refund me 2 months’ worth of purchases, leaving me down $127.96. I called my bank back and they informed me there was nothing they could do to help me get my money back after 60 days.

Renewal was set for April. I canceled in March and a week later, I'm charged $99.00 to my PayPal account. I saw on this consumer complaint site that someone had actually called, but I couldn't find a phone number anywhere on their site. In fact, it took a good 10 minutes to figure out how to send an e-mail because it keeps rerouting you to a bunch of FAQ and "did this help" stupid BS. No, it did not help. Give me back my freaking money! The service was crummy and the fact you lose money if you don't use it every month really stinks. I signed up to download cultural music for my students, but the selections are really crappy. Don't go there people!

I want to add my complaint to the others I have found on this (Consumer Affairs) site. I signed up over a year ago but found the site not useful. I also found that eMusic required me to provide all my information, including credit card number, each time I attempted to sign in (as though I were signing up for the service all over again). I have emailed them at least five times to cancel with absolutely no response from them. I have been on the phone for almost 30 minutes, waiting for customer service to answer, but they never picked up. Finally, I have replaced my credit card which should stop the auto-debit. I found this website today while searching for a snail mail address to send (and cc to my attorney) a stop notice. I hope that ends it. Thanks for reading/listening.

I have been trying to cancel my recurring charge account for months, but the company will not allow me to do so without losing the credit in my account. I have been charged $11.99/month for well over a year, and I keep trying to cancel my account but cannot without losing the entire account balance. The company is not allowing me to use services for which I have already paid. This is how eMusic stops people from cancelling their accounts. The only way to stop the recurring charges is to cancel the account. But then you lose every dollar that you've already spent. Is this legal?

Let me explain to you about eMusic. Now I know most individuals will think that they are a good company - in their way they are. But when a company has to steal from someone and do an unauthorized transaction, then this to me is no better than someone stealing a debit card out of my wallet and going to an ATM and using that card to steal money out of my account.

On 7/23/2012, I had signed up and canceled within 7 days because I found out that I had lost my job. So, I called and spoke to a customer service representative who should have done her job, but did not (she should be fired). Instead, she told me she would downgrade it. So I said, “No I lost my job, so I need to cancel this account.” She took a deep breath, and sighed somewhat afterwards. I though the process was done. Well, I found out several months later that this company was stealing from me every month. I am so angry with them and if I had my way, I would slap the ** out of each and every one of them, except for the last individual I spoke with. She gave me a confirmation number but that does not excuse them from stealing like they have; it puts my other bills in debt because of them, and you know what? They do not care.

As long as they got what they wanted, so with that being said, I hope the company goes bankrupt just like all these other businesses have. And to that female who did not cancel my account, I hope you lose your job, can't get another one, get put out of your home, can't get another home/place to stay, you become homeless, and you eat food out of the garbage cans and dumpsters because for me to have to go through this unnecessary stress because of you, you need to go through even worse.

We got a "free" trial with eMusic and I signed up with the full intention of canceling the membership as soon as I used the "free" money. I signed up, but I never received a welcome email. When I went to sign in, the site said I didn't have an account, so I assumed something happened and the account never went through. And I honestly didn't think any more about it until 6 months later when I noted a charge from eMusic in my PayPal account. I contacted them right away to get the issue figured out.

Apparently, I had entered a bad email address when I signed up. How would I know that? I questioned how the company could possibly be charging my account without me ever activating my account/completing the registration process? They didn't have anything to say to that except that I was not entitled to a refund no matter what, since they say in their terms and conditions that they don't give refunds under any circumstances!

Yes, it was my error, but how was I to know the company would continue to charge me every month when I didn't have an active account? I couldn't sign in to even use the account and I certainly couldn't sign in to cancel the account! Totally unfair to the tune of $75! This is so very unfair! Money wasted and lining the pockets of crooks and lawbreakers! They broke the law by charging my account without me completing the registration process. Therefore, they never had authorization to charge my card!

But they don't care about that! All they care about is getting the money. Be very careful! Oh, and they are going to credit my account $25, but I have to remain an active member to take advantage of it. The money you put into the account doesn't roll over each month! It's use it or lose it! So, I am losing $50 into an account I couldn't even access! Total rip off! Bad business!

I signed up for a free trial of eMusic. I entered my PayPal info under the assumption it was needed to use the trial. Without notification, they placed a $1 hold on my PayPal account. It's annoying but not unspeakable. A week later, I received a notice that they were unable to process payment from my PayPal account.

First of all, they shouldn't be billing me yet, since my membership is free through a week from now. So they are billing early. Second, because they can't process my PayPal info, I am unable to reach any customer service contact number. It's impossible to contact them through e-mail or through their site. So in essence, it's a ticking timebomb. I now have to ensure my current PayPal remains empty; otherwise, they may charge me for a membership they prevented me from cancelling.

In January 2010, I tried a free trial of eMusic. They had no music that I cared for that you could download on the credits they gave as part of the free trial so I canceled the trial. Apparently they have continued billing my credit card since January for $11.99 a month. My boyfriend, the main cardholder on the credit card, contacted Chase to dispute charges, but eMusic claims that I did not cancel the membership. I did not use this membership during the time period they billed my credit card. I have researched them online and have discovered they have numerous complaints about unauthorized credit card billing. Their failure to cancel my membership as requested has resulted in my owing over a $100 plus interest on my credit card.

I signed up for what I believed was a trial period as advertised on the site. On completing the registration process, I was required to enter the type of membership I would like. There was no option (that I remember) to only sign up for a trial period and I believed this option was required to be completed in the event that a permanent membership was chosen.

I completed an annual membership of 99 and provided credit card details, believing that the membership could be cancelled at any time during the 'free trial period'. However, the full membership wasn't enabled since eMusic were not able to deduct the necessary funds at the time.

I decided to cancel the membership in order to resolve the issue but the site does not allow the membership to be cancelled when there is an outstanding payment. I followed the procedure (which is not easy) explained on the site and believed that the membership would be cancelled as my transaction to cancel would be logged with eMusic. However, this turned out to be incorrect and the membership fee was deducted from my credit card without my knowledge. When I discovered this, I contacted eMusic and cancelled the membership.

I asked them to refund the 99 deducted as I had only downloaded a couple of albums (which was within the trial period terms) and wasn't happy with the selection of music available and was therefore not worth the membership fee. eMusic decided that because I had cancelled outside of their cancellation period (bearing in mind that the site wouldn't actually let me cancel my membership) that they would, as a goodwill gesture, deduct 19.99 as an admin fee and refund the rest. However, despite 3 chasing emails (in which I gave authorization for the admin deduction - I just want this resolved), I still have not had a refund.

I cancelled my account on 25th May and the last email I sent was on 22nd July. In addition to all of this, it's almost impossible to contact eMusic by email. The responses generated are 'no reply' as they are automated, and the only other way of contacting them is through a convoluted process on the eMusic.com site.

My main issue with this company is how difficult they make it for customers to contact them and to have issues resolved. I find this unacceptable. My complaint is that they have failed to reimburse me despite numerous chasers, and have no effective customer service processes. The cancellation process also seems to be heavily weighted in their favor and this is also not acceptable. Not only am I out of pocket for the subscription that I did not want, and could no cancel, I have had to spend a considerable amount of time chasing, searching for some method of contacting them and being generally hacked off at their attitude.

eMusic Company Profile