2.08/5
Based on 491 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

4088 eBay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I had a problem posting to eBay, after 4 days of waiting and six hours total on hold, they cannot seem to figure out the problem with this technical issue, which is on their end. I got the same pat answer each and every time. The last call I was insistent and would not just accept the "pat answer" and the operator hung up on me. I am deleting my seller account and I would advise anyone who is considering becoming a seller on eBay TO STAY AWAY, they have horrible customer service and there are hidden fees on everything!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

After "unsubscribing" countless times and still receiving email promotions, I wanted to contact eBay to see if there was something less drastic than deleting the account. The only method of contact I could find was a phone call. Trying to navigate through their "contact us" menu was like navigating a labyrinth. I refer emails for questions, but that wasn't available. "Chat" is my last resort. Past that, if it's that important I will call. Generally though, I will find another way around. Like deleting my account (still getting emails). It's too bad, but I figure if there's something I want that badly, I'll create a new email for that item and delete the account when through.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I was scammed out of my money and the item after purchasing a supposedly authentic All-in-One VR Headset. The scam was thought up by a dishonest Chinese eBay seller who is selling counterfeit items on eBay. When the seller from China signs up for selling on eBay they give two different addresses to eBay, one is real and the other is fake, and eBay unknowingly allows them to do this. When a buyer unknowingly purchases a counterfeit item and returns the item the seller has to automatically pay for the return shipping but puts the fake address on the label and the United States Postal Service is not able to deliver the package and it ends up lost due to the fake address. PayPal and eBay will not refund the buyers money if the item is never delivered to the proper address.

The buyer then ends up losing both the item and their money and the seller then files for the insurance claim from the United States Postal Service which is covered by all Priority Shipping labels and gets that money as well. On the $62.99 fake item I purchased the seller made a profit of $121.42 at the expense of the buyer and the United States Postal Service. PayPal or eBay does nothing to stop this racketeering and fraud and denies it. They side with the seller in the dispute due to the fact the item was never returned to the seller even though the buyer has proof they shipped the fake item back by the tracking number supplied by the USPS. However the tracking number confirms the item was never delivered and lost. I now have lost both my money and the item due to this scam. This has to stop and consumers deserve to be protected from fraudulent sellers on eBay and PayPal. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

eBay is fraudulent through and through. They do not stand behind their policies for sellers. I was ripped off by eBay, was repeatedly lied to by various reps and resolution center. They let con artist buyer take advantage of me when returned item with missing parts, was forced pay for return ship. Would tell me to fill out affidavit form that they never sent. In meantime they refunded money to a con artist buyer and told me that I am not entitled to open an appeal. eBay is rotten and needs to be shut down. So many violations and so much abuse. How they manage to stay open with all of that?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I acquired a Smart TV Box through eBay at the seller Smartbuy 101 and received the defective device. I contacted the seller and sent the item back to the later exchange. That was October, and so far, I got nothing. I tried to connect with the store via eBay but they refuse to help me or provide me with the seller's phone. Be careful when purchasing electronics on eBay, especially in this Smartbuy 101.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

eBay is the satellite service of shopping. The variety is unending. From name brands to generic you can find it all. Plus shipping rates aren't that high. It's easy to navigate but you do need to gain info on reading about sellers. CS at eBay has always been fast, friendly, efficient and reliable. This is the site I recommend most often.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I got cheated when I used the Global Shipping Program (GSP) of eBay to sell a brand New Laptop - Apple MacBook Air Sealed 2017 edition. GSP claims / says - "no hassle selling, you just ship the item to Kentucky & we will take care of everything else." So I sold my laptop for $899. Buyer was from Russia. I sent my item to GSP & it was received & accepted & shipped to the buyer. I dont know the buyer & I was comfortable with the transaction. I saw that the product got cleared the customs & was delivered.

After a day or so, the buyer Claimed he received empty packet. He opened a case with eBay and I told him to talk to eBay, I am not responsible as the Global Shipping was used that he should contact them. He did not pursue the transaction further. After few days the cases was closed by eBay. Later I received a charge from PayPal for $899 Plus 20 for chargeback - they said buyer opened a case with his Credit Card company to dispute the transaction. When I told them to contact GSP, they said they cannot, I should as it’s different company. I try my best to open a case but was not able to. eBay said talk to PayPal about this. PayPal said talk to eBay but they can’t help. The GSP Program scammed me of my laptop & my Money. Please. Peace of mind. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

If you're a seller beware. eBay will hit you with so many fees that you won't make anything on what you sell. They charges %10 on everything you sell as well as a PayPal fee and then you have to pay for shipping. That as well as a monthly fee. Sell elsewhere because for a $200 item you sell you will have to pay them $30 to $50.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

eBay does not care about you or your concerns as a seller. I have had returns due to "Defective Item" because the buyer's computer did not have the proper specs, they always win because eBay cannot prove 100% that it worked when I shipped, it's ridiculous. This has cost me $100s of dollars because of course eBay will keep their share no matter what. They also do not care when they make a mistake, during a return there was 1, literally 1 out of the 6 different ** addresses that was set to an old address and that is the one they used for a return, needless to say when it's a $600+ item of course the current resident didn't receive it. eBay will do nothing because 1 address (address used to signup 4+ years ago) was incorrect, even though the other 5 were current. I have had a similar experience with customer service, buyer bricked a product I sold to him, I fixed it, did it again and then wanted a return.

I was told by customer service to issue a refund and once I get the item back to appeal the return because the rep was "On your side, this shouldn't have been refunded". So I simply follow instructions and call in to appeal the case later after I get the item and issue the return, the response from Customer Service was "You issued the return willing therefore you cannot appeal this case" and hung up. This list goes on but as a seller I would say do not deal with them, especially if the item takes any know how or competence by the buyer because it's lacking to say the least. Returns are accepted almost without question even when you specify "No Returns", Customer Service gives false information, and eBay will not take responsibility for anything even if it is their mistake.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

EBay does not care about you or your concerns as a seller. I've been hung up on, given attitude and disrespected. Policies are not clear or explained. I was charged a ridiculous amount for selling an item that was supposed to be returned, mind you it was never returned. I lost my money and my item selling on eBay. You'll be better off selling on Facebook. EBay is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have ordered many things from eBay over the last 5 years and with the exception of only one, every single item purchased was excellent and all the sellers were wonderful to work. When I did have an issue, where I did not received a product, eBay's process was very simple and they issued me a refund almost instantly. Love love shopping on eBay!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

eBay is a scam, I've been waiting on two to three shipment for over a week, and it takes a long time for the shipment to arrive, I guess eBay is trying to rip people off since it's the holiday season. Buyers beware.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

STAY AWAY FROM — they are built for buyers so they can keep making money. Buyer said item was defective and nothing was wrong with item at all - then the item was never returned and they debited from PayPal.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

In general eBay is an even playing field. It allows novice buyers and sellers as well as experienced ones to do business together. The rules & guidelines are clear and make things fair for all. The variety of merchandise is virtually unlimited.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL EBAY SELLERS! I recently sold my S8 Galaxy phone on eBay, under the good faith and goodwill that eBay was going to abide by their own policies on their own rules. The buyer took my phone for two weeks and makes claims that an "unlocked" S8 Galaxy Samsung phone purchased in Canada doesn't work with the network in the US. I am from Miami and I used the phone without any issues or limitations claimed by the buyer. eBay after two weeks, decided to favor the buyer under buyer's remorse!!! In their own policy, it clearly states "it is not covered"!!! They lie and make up rules as they go, and their policies mean nothing! They should write one simple policy, "WE DONT PROTECT THE SELLERS AND BUYERS CAN SCAM YOU OUT OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY"!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I order frequently from eBay, at least a couple of times per month. "Usually" I order the same item, but not always. I have found eBay to be a very simple way to order items online and the prices of the items I order are very much below cost of what I would normally pay at a store. In the past 6 or 7 years I have only had ONE issue. I never received the item I had ordered and for which I had already paid. This was NOT the fault of eBay. The tracking number for the item showed that it had been delivered to my home address along with the time the item was placed in my mailbox which was in the afternoon.

I did not check my mail until later in the evening. Apparently, the item had been stolen from my mailbox. Going through the customer service with eBay was a bit of a hassle and in the end I never got my money back, since the item showed that it HAD BEEN delivered to me. I am now just a bit more careful about ordering anything too expensive just in case this should happen again. All in all, I would highly recommend shopping on eBay.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I ordered a DVD boxed set for a Xmas gift the week before Thanksgiving. It came fairly quickly, but was the complete wrong item. I opened a case with eBay, but apparently chose the wrong option "I didn't receive my item" over a semantic issue. I DIDN'T receive the item I ordered, so chose this and explained in the text of the message what happened. Apparently I was supposed to select something else, but none of the options really seemed to fit "I was sent the wrong item". The seller did his part in getting me the return label, I returned it, and asked when my actual item was being shipped to me. He said "today" but after over a week, that didn't happen. I asked where it was, but got no response after a few days. Then I got a Refund notice from eBay to solve the problem, but now it's too late to get the item for Xmas.

THEN, and this is the kicker for me, eBay wouldn't allow my negative review of this seller because I got a refund. I didn't want to write a scathing one, just tell that he sent out the wrong item in case this happens frequently -- sorry, but that's not a good thing! And he didn't do what he messaged me that he was going to, so again, not good. Crazy of them to protect a seller this way -- now I don't believe his 94% positive is very accurate. If it was just a rare blip in his history, that would have shown and people could decide to buy from him or not. (They didn't allow many characters to explain the situation, either.) This was my first experience with eBay in ages, and it will be my last! I had to jump through several hoops for absolutely nothing but a hassle, headache and worry that I was being ripped off.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I accidentally ordered an item from an individual. Going by Scarlafermion I contacted them 15 min after to let them know I needed to cancel the order. They responded with, "I'm so sorry to hear that. Let me help you with that." So they obviously received the message. I contacted eBay to see what I could do about stopping the payment and they stated that they could not stop the payment and had to allow it to process before they could do anything.

Two days later I receive the item. And when I contacted eBay to now be able to put it into disputes. I was denied a refund. So I ordered the item as a guest using a computer I normally wouldn't use. Ebay had no record of the order even though it was ordered under the same email I would normally make all my purchases. So clearly they side with the sellers because they stand to make a profit.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I made a purchase on Dec 2. Item should of arrived Dec. 12 shipping from Florida to Ohio. Item hasn't arrived yet and eBay can't do anything. Stick with Amazon. eBay ripping people off and all sellers are cheap.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I sold an iPhone on eBay for $1,500.00 on October 6, 2017. eBay received the money and sent me a shipment label to ship the item. We requested the signature on delivery and paid an extra amount for that. It said that eBay had received the money and will hold for 21 days in case the item is returned. We shipped the item and waited for the payment. When we did not receive the payment, we contacted eBay. They told me that the buyer has cancelled the payment and I should not send the item. I never received any email or any information on that.

When I investigate about it, I found that as soon as I shipped the phone, the deal was cancelled, but no one informed me about that. So I went to the resolution center to open a case about my transaction, it is till pending and nothing has happened. And on top of this, eBay has sent me an invoice for $150.00 to sell this item on eBay. When you sell an item, you have to link your financial institution for the receipt of your payment. eBay directly pulls their fee out from your account. So, be careful for the future. eBay has fraudulent people on the site and eBay does not listens to the sellers.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I ordered a tent that I never received. I complained but was told the order was received so I wasted my money. After complaining to eBay closed the case even though I told them I never got it. I will never use eBay again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

This company endorses people who claim they sell new genuine phones like HTC and Samsung. The phones are cheap made in China knock offs and when you bid, the location tells you it is in the USA, when in fact it comes from Hong Kong. The seller uses an address in the States and provides a tracking number that does not show any tracking information as the package has never been dropped off at the USPS office. Then, when the cheap item from Hong Kong arrives in the USA the product gets shipped. eBay and PayPal do nothing about this, especially since many people complaint and left negative feedback. They endorse and enable this behaviour! Also, eBay claims to be a separate entity from PayPal, when in fact they work together in scamming the customer!

PayPal freezes the money immediately when there is a problem with eBay! The seller has no access to the funds, but is expected to ship an item or pay for a return shipping label, because a cheapskate does not like the item he purchased, exchange his old defective merchandise with the new intact product you shipped and claimed it is "broken" to avoid paying for a return shipping label! Then you have to accept, even though you know the product was in top condition in order to avoid eBay taking and freezing your account! I had sold a 100% brand new ceiling fan that I paid $500 for it.

I had a cheapo who offered me $200 plus shipping! Well, the item arrived with her and I ended up buying her $50 blades plus $20 shipping as she claimed the blades has a few scuff marks from the shipping! These people want the shipping for cheap and do not pay extra for insurance! Story short, I made $130.00 minus the $23 eBay fees and $10 PayPal fee! Final outcome $97 in my pocket, no positive feedback and $403 loss!

Furthermore, eBay wants your personal information, do not give it to them, like SSN #, passport or driver's license for so called verification! You give it to them and then they use it to ban you if you refuse to pay their fees! Also, when you ask them to destroy your personal information after you closed the account, guess what, they will NOT do it! They keep it and it will forever in their files and subject to someone committing identity theft or hacking! PayPal is the same way and they will close your account and you will have no access to the money, if you have money in it, for 6 months! They will play with your funds and getting richer on your backside, while you still have to fulfill shipping commitments on goods from eBay! A note of advice NEVER KEEP money in your PayPal account! Always transfer it to your account! Always cancel subscriptions eBay has on you as they can access your money!

I am surprised that all this is legal as in Germany for example, you are NOT required to use PayPal. There you can set up bank transfers and do not encounter these high PayPal fees! Both entities are only out there to scam you, so beware of them and keep your information private! Best of all, do not use them in the first place!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I received 3 Terracotta aquarium ornaments that I ordered from an eBay seller that were almost $20. Two came in broken, and one had black mold. I tried to salvage the chipped ornaments and cleaned them thoroughly with strong vinegar and water washes for hours. Two chipped but salvageable ornaments were used for fish but the one that had the black mold (cleaned out thoroughly) killed my fish. The ornaments after being cleaned extensively had no smell before being used for a fish bowl. After finding the fish dead the next morning, I removed the one ornament and could smell an ammonia like chemical smell. The other ornament had no chemical smell and both ornaments were cleaned in the same place at the same time, the other fish did not die.

I presume that the mold was deeper than originally thought, and I thought a couple hours of vinegar and water soaking would make it safe. Black mold is hazardous to health and very impossible to remove. I got a full refund from the seller but I was not given any fair compensation or resolution from eBay or the lost fish, the financial and emotional cost of losing this young baby betta in his first temporary home. This is the first and the last time I order aquarium ornaments on eBay and I am upset that they have not provided me a resolution for my situation. I have messaged the seller but I do not think there is anything they can do, I do not think the seller can send me an extra $3.99 for the lost fish. I am dissatisfied that these products from eBay have caused me such heartache.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I sold a product on eBay. The buyer claimed the item was damaged. It was in perfect condition when sent. eBay "ruled" that I needed to refund the buyer and pay for return shipping. They refunded the buyer, but the buyer never sent the item back. They will not respond to email, and the buyer will not respond.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Ordered a key and it said it was delivered. It was only a ten dollar item so no real gain if I was to be a scammer. I contacted the seller. All they did was send me shipping information on a order which did not resolve the problem. I asked eBay to help and they did nothing. Gave me the same runaround as the seller. I will never purchase from eBay again. Amazon has never given me problems. This is the third time I've given eBay and its sellers a chance and again they screwed me. Worst website ever.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered an item on Nov. 28th. The item showed estimated delivery date of Dec. 4th-11th. It didn't arrive and when I checked the tracking info it showed it had been transferred to the delivery service provider in GA on the 6th and the tracking info stopped there. The location was about 300 miles from me. I contacted the seller and got the, "Oh well it is the holidays, give it more time." I'm sorry but an 8 day delivery window that isn't met isn't acceptable. I talked to an agent at eBay after a long hold and she went back and forth. At first it was she would put in a refund request and I should have my money back within 24-48 hours. Then it went to well it actually will be the 18th before we can escalate this and give you a refund.

At that time I asked to speak to a supervisor and after another long hold was told basically the same thing by him. I explained I was leaving to go out of town on the 15th, that the item was a gift I was going to take with me and I wouldn't be back until after the holidays, Basically so sorry but can't do anything until the 18th. Total aggravation I didn't need right now. Anyway, it's been awhile since I ordered on eBay and now I remember why. Amazon would have taken care of this in 5 minutes instead of the 2 hours it took me to get nowhere.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Don’t sell with eBay!!! You’d be better off selling with Craigslist, Facebook etc where there’s no fees anyways. I have been screwed a NUMBER of times because eBay does not enforce their policy that a bid is a contract to pay. They don’t require payment up front so I’ve had a number of fraudulent buyers and even buyers who just changed their mind refuse to pay. The most frustrating was my most recent sale of an item that was out of stock at the time and I had multiple bidders, the winner decided not to pay and now the item is back in stock so I can no longer sell it. EXTREMELY frustrating because I had other bidders who I could have sold it to but now it’s too late because eBay doesn’t enforce their own policies. Ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I ordered a Tiffany & Co. 925 necklace from an eBay seller. When the item didn't arrive, I contacted the seller who said this her account had been hacked and she never listed this item nor did she receive the PayPal payment. I reported this to eBay who insisted that although they could see that the seller's account had been hacked, they would not step in until the 4 day waiting period expired. They refused to stop the transaction or refund the money. Absolutely TERRIBLE customer service. I asked for a supervisor to escalate this and was told there isn't one!! Lies on top of bad service. I will close my eBay account!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

After receiving a 15% off coupon from eBay I decided to use it to purchase computers for my grandchildren, no matter how I tried to redeem this coupon I was turned down for not having the right code, I've made purchases galore on this site and found this to be the last straw. I may be a single customer but local merchants are not too large for my business.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

eBay Inc is using a top rated seller (user) Joseph ** seller ID "Hubcapjoes" to abuse and go after me and my workplace on YouTube under the "Crazeenydriver", and "CrazeenydriverNYC" channels. He is a spokesperson for eBay Inc and is doxxing my workplace telling people to get me fired. I was also a user of eBay Inc but not anymore. This is a privacy concern eBay allowing their top sellers to cyberbullying, bully and harass former users of eBay Inc.

Message to eBay Inc (You're on Notice). I want seller Hubcapjoes to stop this abusive behavior and his selling privileges terminated. All allegations by eBay seller Hubcapjoes are untrue and his abuse has been documented by more than one party for evidence. This is bullying and social media reputation management in order to give the illusion that eBay Inc has a positive image which is an FTC violation. Hubcapjoes is to cease and desist from emailing, calling my workplace, making videos about my workplace and making accusations anywhere else on the internet about me. Charles ** Canton Michigan *Fox 2 news, stating I own guns and that I'm dangerous to the public.

This YouTuber Crazeenydriver (Joseph **) furthermore has also created a twitter account called "@reportbullies" that is tweeting to FBI, NEWS and tabloid magazines about me daily. I also have evidence of him creating and using his website hosted in Bulgaria by Blue Angel Host (TelePoint Data Center Administrator Sunil Shahzad, United Arab Emirates AKA sc0rpian.king) to abuse stalk and harass me also. https://sellercritic.com/telepoint-data-center-sunil-shahzad-works-hubcapjoes/.

eBay Company Information

eBay Motors
www.ebay.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business