eBay

eBay
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.61/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

eBay Reviews

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

I started Drop Ship Selling on eBay November, 2015. When I first started I was drop shipping clearance items from Walmart. The problem was they soon sold out and then I had out of stock issues when people would purchase. My defect rate grew to 9%. I stopped drop shipping from Walmart in December and found a supplier who had items in stock 99% of the time. My defect rate dropped but I was still below standard come January 1, 2016. I called eBay and they said "As long as you keep selling and your rate drops, you should be OK." My rate dropped to 5.25% by the end of January. February 1, 2016 they suspend my account.

I have been on eBay for over 14 years. I have 100% feedback from over 900 buyers and sellers. I have a 5-star rating on every Detailed Seller Rating including: item as described, communication, shipping time, shipping & handling charges. My one neutral feedback was unjustified because I refunded the gentleman immediately, even without him returning it! I have never been late for shipping. I have never had a case closed without resolution. I have given tracking 30% of the time. It would be higher, but my main supplier does not give out tracking unless I call. I always respond back immediately to resolve issues. I always refund those who are dissatisfied immediately. I never argue with a customer and go beyond the call of duty to please the customer first, even if I know they are argumentative, lying, or hard to please. I have a mentor who is helping me with this selling process.

I placed an appeal to reinstate my account and I was rejected. It really seems like they want to get rid of the small business owners and care only for the buyers. They only gave me one month to get my defect rate down. I wish someone would take this to the national news so eBay doesn't hurt other new sellers on eBay. It is unjustified!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

First I sell an item on eBay and the buyer damages my product and they make me refund the guy. I lose out all around. Secondly I purchased several coins 540.00 dollars worth never received, and eBay refuses to refund me after they state that they will back you up if you fill out an IC3 report (Bunch of crap). Long story short out of pocket (-690.00) in one day. Buyers and sellers stay clear of them crooks there in bed with all the other dishonest shmucks. Too bad great concept crooked operation. And to add insult to injury their customer service is outsourced to Asia in someone's ** hole sweat garage. You think eBay being on Wall Street can do better. Yeah right bunch of crooks that support theft. Stay away!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

Issue: I have been banned from eBay. Background: A loyal customer for many years, with valid purchases, valid sales and zero negative feedback. Last year, I received an e-mail telling me that I have been banned. I assumed it was a scam and then sometime later figured out that it was real. Tonight, after I couldn't log in to eBay motors in an attempt to sell a car, I wasted over 11 minutes of my life talking to a representative at an overseas (probably Philippines) call center in attempt to uncover the problem. Are you ready? eBay has banned me because my father & I have the same name (with exception to the suffix, i.e. Jr, III) and we both have accounts and have had accounts for several years. And that, is considered by eBay to be suspicious activity. What a slap in the face from a ghetto operation.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2016

Buyers make false claims and get full refund and eBay makes us give full refund and lets buyers keep the product as well. When product returned, it is either their old engine or they just put something on pallet just to show tracking to eBay. Buyers extort us for giving them money in exchange for Positive Feedback. Just this week I had to pay $175 to change Negative Feedback to Positive and buyer kept the product as well because eBay did nothing and told me not to sell if not happy.

We can't even argue or fight for our right as a seller. If we do, eBay either suspends our account or somehow we get disappeared on eBay and buyers can't find us, buyers make false claims and our account gets selling limitation, last time almost 2 months and our business really suffered. We can't sell anywhere else because eBay has almost all buyers to conduct business on eBay and eBay will protect them 100%. I have lost too much money in the past 11 years because eBay allows buyers and has all the doors open for buyers to do whatever they wish to do. One of the times when I called eBay, the representative told me that buyers are important for them and sellers are basically nothing and she didn't even care if I sold or didn't on eBay.

This is all I can post my reviews and feeling about eBay. I can't fight or take eBay to court because nobody dares to fight the case and the multi-billion billion company always wins and gets richer and we (sellers) who made eBay this rich get nothing. eBay charges 8% or $250 max per transaction plus. Now they charge 8 or 9% on shipping Fees as well and PayPal takes another 3% and we are left with nothing plus eBay make us give Full refunds when a buyer opens his mouth and all expenses on seller. On some items we sell, we don't even make $ 50 profit after all Fees paid to eBay and PayPal and from that $50 profit eBay makes us pay shipping and Return fees and buyer gets his 100% and most cases they keep the product as well because we can't afford to pay the Return shipping.

We sell engines and transmission and minimum shipping we pay is around $140 and max in 48 states around $550 and eBay wants us to pay all this from that $50 profit that is left for us. I saw some class actions against eBay in the past years, instead they made their policy a lot firmer for buyers than it used to be before. Now they make sell with Free Shipping & Return. I hope our government or our Law system do something about them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

eBay has a policy that allows buyers to use a "designer" brand item for up to 30 days and if the buyer feels it's fake, seller is forced to provide a full refund. My wife and I purchased a brand new authentic Coach Snoopy Satchel Handbag on 6/16/2015. I didn't intend to use this purse but only to keep as a collector's item. I used a credit card and ordered from Coach directly order number # **. The price was $486 (with tax). For 6 months, I kept the handbag in the box in safekeeping as a collector's item to possible sell on eBay.

Christmas time came and I needed the money so I listed and sold it on Dec. 31st for $549. With eBay listing fees and PayPal's fee, I only get about $500. The eBay transaction id is **. The buyer decided to open a case for a refund claiming that I have sold her a fake Coach handbag. I denied the refund because it was over my 14-day return policy (stated clearly in listing) and I also knew that it is not a fake purse. eBay put my PayPal funds on hold and suggested to me that I give a refund to the buyer. Knowing that it's no longer new, nor a collectible item at this point, I tried to dispute the claim and deny giving the refund. eBay stepped in Jan. 29th and forced the refund.

I called a supervisor named Casey and tried desperately to argue my case and provide proof that the purse is not a fake. He informed me that eBay has an automatically (no questioning and no proof of it being fake needed) 30-day mandatory return policy that warrants any seller of a designer brand item must provide full refunds to buyers that suspects that it is fake. I haven't found this in any fine print yet and am still looking for it. Casey admitted he doesn't like this policy but nevertheless enforcing me to provide a full refund in which the money will be automatically deducted from my PayPal account. Casey also told me that the buyer is allowed to give me a negative feedback which will be always be displayed under my records.

How I Interpret this rule is a buyer can buy and return any priced designer brand item and use it for 30 days. Without questioning the buyer, eBay will force the seller to refund the money if the buyer states it is fake. It doesn't matter that I kept accurate documentation, took very detailed pictures, listed my product accurately, or have a 100% positive feedback rating since 1999. What is also very important not to overlook, it doesn't matter what is the truth. I'd been victimized by a buyer who knew this policy well and used eBay to mandate free use of this product for up to 30 days.

The item is being sent back to me used and I don't have a penny to show for it. This rule that eBay has in place has pretty much made me decide I can't afford to sell on eBay anymore. It also has revealed to me that eBay will give a free pass for unethical activity and doesn't care about the honest working individual. I've been a proud member of this website since 1998 and been showing countless people how to use it. I feel so deceived and disappointed in myself for being such a loyal eBayer. Sellers beware of this clause in their policies and think twice for selling your good with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay Motors?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

eBay is such a ** around. Tried selling a product and everything was so difficult. Asked for my phone number and no matter how I typed it, it said it was wrong. Wouldn't let me take a photo to post, every time I tried, the site ** up! So annoyed, just not even going to bother using the site!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

Have dealt with them for over a year. The website was easy to use. Had bought some items. Eventually they get tired of helping consumers get refund. What happened to the age old cliche "the consumer is always right"? There is a greater need for more competition in the market place for alternative to eBay that are consumer-friendly and refunds with ease.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

I updated my email address over 5 years ago to eBay and my Paypal and linked them together with my new email address. 3 years go by, no problems. As of 2 years ago, my old email address is rearing its ugly head. I have called numerous times to have it removed as I have zero access to that email account to no avail. They can never tell me that they can remove the old email address. How can this be? I removed this thing years ago and now it's an issue to where people are Paypaling to my old email because eBay has that as the default email although I've set it differently and called many times to have this issue resolved.

So now I selling this item. It's marked paid but cannot reach my Paypal account. I call eBay and Paypal, they tell me to add my old email account to my Paypal account and it will be resolved. Guess what, it's not. So I resorted to cancelling my eBay listing, informing the customer I have an Etsy account they can purchase the item from since eBay is zero help. Problem number 2: when I call eBay they want to forward me to Paypal. When I speak to Paypal, they tell me it's an eBay issue, so come on. Since this has been a problem for me for 2 years, now I'm quitting eBay for good. Not worth the stress.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

I am giving single star because I am not able to give 0 star. On item detail page eBay writes "Ebay Guarantee" with big font and make the customer fool like me. I have purchase one 32 GB Samsung memory card from eBay. After purchase I found that it's not original card. Print made on card was removed by just touching with the finger. So, I have raised the claim with ID ** to eBay on the next day of item received. First eBay reject the claim with the statement item was in manufacturer warranty, so I need to contact Samsung. Then I go to Samsung service center. They told me that it's not a Samsung card, so you need to contact merchant. Then I contact seller by eBay email, I didn't get the reply for 5 days. Then I called to eBay then have given me seller number and told me to try to contact seller for 5 days. Seller was not receiving the call but still I need to try for 5 days.

After 5 days I called to eBay then they told me that they will try to contact seller and will update the status within 2 days. After 2 days I didn't get the call, so I called to eBay and asking for the refund then they again tell me to wait 7 days. After 7 days I called them and they told me to send the pictures of card on 'paisapaydocs@ebay.com'.

After sending the email I got the call from eBay and the executive told me that I will get the refund within 7 days. I didn't get the refund for 10 days, so I called them again then they told me that "your claim was rejected because item was in manufacturer warranty." Then after explaining whole case they told me that no one called from eBay and grant the refund. Due to call recorded, previous call was recorded and I have start the recording during call that prove that I got the call from eBay executive. Then they told me to wait more 2 days. After 2 days I called them again and again got the same answer. After listening the audio clip of call they told me to wait more 7 days. I am so frustrated with this type of service. For every reader of this review I only suggest that never buy anything from eBay. Ebay guarantee is a big scam and never help out in trouble.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

Literally, every time I sell an electronics item on eBay I get scammed. The buyer, which is different every time, always contacts me telling me something is wrong and requests a refund. No, they don't return the product. They request a refund. The problem: There is no problem. In most cases, the electronics are new or gently used and DO work. I even take pictures of the items in a working state. However, the buyer always tries to get something for free. I've only been backed up once by eBay. That's because I reported the buyer first. Beware of fraud and scams from eBay buyers. It's a racket.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I use eBay frequently. I find many deals on eBay. If you have any issues with anything you purchased, you contact the seller. The seller usually fixes the issue due to you get to rate them and comment for everyone to see. I strictly go off of the ratings a seller has for that reason alone, as a warning sign of the type of experience you will have with them. I also know that if I have an issue with a seller, eBay protects me and will step in and resolve the issue. I have been using them for years with no issues.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I have been shopping with eBay for a while. I must admit they are uniform in their practices and do their best to satisfy the customer. The changes on the web l am not too fond of but, they are professional and do their best to solve any problems (l have had a few with some vendors. I like their customer service and highly recommend them and PayPal although they are not connected. EBay is the only bidding site l have ever used and have made some big ticket purchases. I just can't grasp how to sell (laugh)!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I usually buy auto parts/supplies but have also bought computers and household related merchandise. I always check feedback, as this warns of the few who do not put the customer first. Most notable are recent purchase of used tires that came from over 1,000 miles away, free shipping and no tax, prices comparable or even cheaper than local, with a much larger selection. My wife bought a tablet/laptop computer (new) for $135. Regular retail compare at $350. Shop the deals and learn to snipe (last seconds bid).

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

Buyer purchased a new, unused camera lens from me, and I shipped it to him right away. I had to give him the information where I purchased it (B&H), plus a copy of the receipt. And if it has been used, to which I said no. I sent him the lens and he refused to pay for the new camera lens, saying it was damaged, which was not true. Ebay sided with the buyer and he sent it back to me by Fedex at my cost. I lost $275.00. There was nothing wrong with the lens. I cancelled my eBay account.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I do a lot of shopping with eBay. I have had great experiences with majority of the sellers or merchants. This last Christmas I purchased 3 pairs of Uggs. All were authenticate and verified through the Ugg website with the Ugg barcode. I always do my homework, read reviews, look at all feedback, positive, negative and neutral, look at percentage of sales, carefully read their return policy, ask/send seller questions etc. I have not be disappointed so far. All purchases are great!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I bought a toy robot at eBay for my collection some time ago paying as usual through PayPal. After waiting some weeks for delivery, I received an e-mail from eBay that my item had been delivered. The seller had sent an empty envelope to a storefront near my address and eBay accepted that as a completed delivery despite my numerous attempts to prove otherwise. The case I opened was closed by eBay saying the item had been delivered. It had not been. I'm out $180.00 because of eBay.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

First I check the feedback rating of the seller. If it's very good, there is no reason not to buy! Be sure and check the price for shipping! Often it's more than the item! Other sellers can have cheaper price for shipping, but check their feedback then! Only two negative experiences! One shipper placed items in a letter style envelope. Post office machine shredded it. Shipper swore at me and left me nasty feedback!! The other shipped wrong item. Also swore at me!! And blamed me!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I have used eBay for at least 10 years and I am pleased with the service that they provide. They have a great buyer's protection policy, although the same beneficial policy has caused problems and money for the seller. eBay treats the buyer as always 99% correct/right when it comes to disputes. I had a telephone that sold overseas, but the shipping was $60 (paid by the buyer). The buyer claimed the phone didn't work and refused to send the phone back because of the high shipping costs. In the end, despite proving that the phone did indeed work properly, eBay awarded the buyer a refund of the full amount and allowed him to keep the phone. eBay charged me for the full amount (around $150) plus the loss of the phone. The buyer that was overseas got a great bargain... a free phone with free shipping!

My recommendation is to document EVERYTHING! Most eBay transactions can be retrieved online, but I would keep or make sure that it is available the following items...Postal Receipts, ALL correspondence between you and the buyer (and vice versa), all costs associated with shipping, and anything thing else that might come along. Make sure to use or get delivery tracking as well as insurance. If you get ANY requests to ship something immediately, be careful as it is often a scam... especially on big ticket items. Feedback is very important, so make sure to read it often!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I have shopped on Ebay for 3 years now. Most people I know shop on Amazon.com and when I suggest they check for the same items on Ebay which I find is usually lower in price but also a lot of free shipping options. The response I always get is they thought everything was through bidding or that they don't trust the sellers. I've had less expensive, easy to find, good selection on most types of items and when Ebay lists a price, select the item, it is the actual price vs Amazon that gives a price range and it's always the highest. Ebay has good quality items as well as the same cheap items you'd find on WISH with little or no shipping. I've never had any issues with service, shipping or quality vs another similar site. PayPal is available on purchases which is a secure service for payments. I check Ebay first before I shop anywhere else.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

If you should buy online make sure you're not dealing with any companies that are overseas. DON'T order from SAMMYDRESS DRESSLILY. Those are VERY BAD companies to order from. They do not give refunds at ALL... You will not be able to talk to a customer service person. They send only e-mails. But if you use PayPal then it will a better outcome receiving a refund. I have ordered over hundred times online and made sure that there is a toll-free number in case there might be a problem with my order. I have used PayPal many time. They are excellent in helping the consumer. I have ordered from eBay, return policy are very good, but you must follow the seller request on returns. Macy's, JC Penney's, Amazon, Venus, Victorian Trading Co, Boston Proper. Those are just a few I have ordered from. They are all great places to order from.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

Very often you will find the best prices on ebay but some products are of inferior quality. For example a popular and useful item is the "military quality" led "700 lumen" led flashlight. It appears identical to one offered on Amazon but my own testing shows it to be weaker with a less intense and less focused beam. Further inspection shows defects in the lens and of the assembly. (I took the time to interchange parts.) The Amazon product came with a charger and a rechargeable battery and was packaged properly whereas the ebay item was economically packaged to minimize shipping costs and at 8 bucks it was a decent cheaper alternative than the 20 dollar light. Both lights work with 3 triple A batteries but in this instance you get what you paid for.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

If you buy, they instantly take the money, yet you may wait ten days for the item. Returning it, if it's even allowed takes another two weeks after several conversations pleading with the person who sold it. You next have to wait for eBay to give you permission to return it, then pay for return shipping as well, so you end up losing money and lots of time and trips to stand in line at the post office. Selling is even worse. Their fees have about doubled, and after you sell an item have to wait about two weeks until the buyer decided to let them know that they've received it – which may never happen. I waited 24 days for my payment. I will never buy or sell on eBay again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I have had a fine experience with eBay. I am not a very active client but every now and then I do some shopping and also sell some items. eBay is a giant global community and you could be sure about the financial transactions. If you are not honest in selling items you could not continue on eBay since the rating system is very good and people usually judge you honestly so if one is really honest and respects one's promises could be successful. Also, when you buy something you have got the right to review and judge the seller and that also counts. This is my experience and again I have not been an active user. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

In purchasing from eBay, this is an online site which absolutely protects the buyer. I have made three purchases (watches) within the past 6 months. Two were "fake or counterfeit", one was genuine. EBay/PayPal eventually provided me with a full refund for the two counterfeit watches and I was able to provide a negative review the fraudulent sellers (to warn others). Because of eBay's guaranteed protection policy as a result, I will likely use this site again (as a buyer) in the future once the Canadian dollar improves. Delighted with the genuine article (Movado diamond ladies watch).

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I love shopping on ebay. They have everything anyone might need/want. I like not having to leave the house and fighting the crowds in the malls. If I'm unhappy with anything I order, there's no problem sending it back for an exchange or refund. You can ask the seller anything via email and an answer is emailed back within 24 hours. Most of the time whatever I want to buy is cheaper than the mall stores. You can also bid on some things and be surprised on how inexpensively you can win the bid. The item(s) ordered and bid on usually arrive between 3 days and a week.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

eBay in general is awful to deal with. Particularly if you are a seller and if you are a buyer with remorse, good luck getting a fair deal. I do not recommend ANYONE use eBay. I recommend an honest online retailer which I do not know of yet. Amazon is much better than eBay though. DO NOT BUY CLOTHING on eBay. It is usually made in China, takes a long time to receive and when it is received is 4 times too small because their sizing does not match US sizing guidelines and even if they compare them so you order the right size, it still is usually too small.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I have made a bunch of different purchases through Ebay; I'd say that my experiences have been quite successful so far. There are better deals on certain items than at other retailers. What's even more pleasing is the possibility of buying at an auction. You have to constantly keep an eye on bidding updates, otherwise it's easy to miss on a deal. I have obtained stuff I've been looking throughout the web at the fraction of the original or even discounted cost. Free shipping and warranty are nice additions to good prices.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

Convenience is probably the most significant factor that comes to mind. There are enough variations available for whatever product I might be looking for regarding price, taxes, shipping, locations, and customer feedback. The sellers are dependent, for the most part, on excellent feedback and do their best to get the best. It shows in the shipping and packaging and desire to resolve any problems. Not having to drive and put up with people that have an attitude, both on the road and in the stores is worth a lot IMHO.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

Overall, I am fairly satisfied with eBay and PayPal. However, I do have some MAJOR concerns. First and foremost eBay allows THE SALE OF COUNTERFEIT foreign coins, i.e. in my experience 5 silver Pesetas pieces from 19th Century Spain. After notifying them numerous times about a retailer who was OPENLY stating the coin was counterfeit, the seller was not taken off. I argued that I felt this was a violation of US & international laws; that it would place a stigma on any REAL coins of that country and era and make a potential buyer suspect whether or not a coin bought on eBay would be genuine or not; and that as such, it would considerably reduce the value of genuine coins owned by people like me. They seemed unmoved.

EBay also has a DEPLORABLE means of "flagging" such questionable items - they have 3 scroll down categories that you use to send your concern to them and NOWHERE among those categories is either a KNOCK-OFF, COUNTERFEIT, REPLICA, etc. category. You are forced to choose one of only FOUR (4) CATEGORIES. None of which come close to adequately describing what your concern is. However, I must say that 99.8% of my dealings on eBay have been very pleasant and rewarding and that in cases of merchandise which was never received (only 3 cases) or which was not as described, they intervened and resolved the matter.

I was not pleased when the TWO (2) CREDIT CARDS that I used on PayPal were somehow stolen by hackers bent on pulling an expensive prank on me. One was used to send me a coin that was OUTRAGEOUSLY OVERPRICED at $179 including shipping - when I am accustomed to buying coins of a GREATER SIZE and VALUE, and GREATER SILVER CONTENT for much less. Example, I have been able to buy as many as SIX (6) 5 Pesetas coins (90% silver content) for $140 INCLUDING SHIPPING from a seller in Greece; and most recently FIVE (5) 5 Pesetas coins (90% silver content) for $89 and $20 shpg from a seller in Florida.

The other credit card was used to purchase a $1,883+ airline ticket from Iberia Airlines to a destination in the Netherlands. This told me the hacker HAD to hack into PayPal to get that credit card number, since that particular credit card was ONLY USED to contribute monthly to Wounded Warrior Project, AFMDA, and St. Jude Children's Hospital and NOTHING ELSE. Asides from these experiences, I am fairly well satisfied with both eBay and PayPal.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

A lot of good deals are available on eBay, but you must be careful about several things. FIRST, don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy and overbid. I see people bidding more than a "buy it now" price for the same item. SECOND, and this is VERY important: USE A CREDIT CARD to pay for your purchases, NOT PayPal credit. The reason is that your agreement with PayPal is that you will accept liquidated damages up to the amount in the seller's account if your purchase is defective in any way. Since the first thing eBay does in any dispute is notify the seller, the seller will withdraw his money and his account balance will be near zero. Then, if eBay finds in your favor and you get the "near zero" as your refund.

Moreover, PayPal is owned by eBay, and it's not in their interest to refund anything, since they make money on the commissions. The result is that eBay is more likely to decide in favor of the seller. But if you used a credit card, you can always dispute the charge and get a FULL refund. THIRD, beware of frauds. Again, eBay needs sellers more than it needs buyers, so it favors them. Many sellers camouflage the true item price with huge shipping fees. Some operate under a dozen of more account names so you think you are looking at competitive pricing when they are really all the same company.

eBay Company Information