Compare Electronic Signature Software

Research top Electronic Signature Software recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We are a mid-sized company of roughly 300 employees. We've wanted to switch over to purely electronic forms and thought DocuSign, given their aggressive marketing, would be the company to do business with. Recently, we were presented a legal document to sign off on by another company. We couldn't access the document on the first try, but then were locked out of the signing process subsequently. Two days later, emails back to the origination company and DocuSign, and all we've heard is excuses. The other company "set it up that way." "It's not our fault." Very, very unprofessional.

Now we're waiting for someone from the other company to RESEND "the envelope" to DocuSign so we can enter another code to sign our documents. What normally takes less than five minutes is turning into a nightmare of waiting a week to fix -- and we cannot move forward without signing off on these legal documents. Meanwhile, I'm paying for my workers to spend days at a hotel in the Southwest while we wait-and-wait-and-wait to sign a simple document so we can move on to the West Coast.

When you're making important decisions in the field, you need process to flow smoothly OR be able to rectify problems quickly. With paper forms (signed, scanned, and emailed) and human intermediaries, any problems can be addressed immediately. With email -- and we all know few individuals, let alone businesses, prioritize the thousands of emails flooding their inboxes daily -- you have to wait until MAYBE someone reads the email alerting them of a problem, and then wait even MORE to synchronize solutions. DocuSign is just another middle man with no authority to fix problems. The DocuSign representative we spoke to, a polite individual, says their company is available 24/7 to help. That help is useless, though, if they have no authority to fix problems -- which they don't when it concerns a technical issue originating at a third company.

We're glad we had this brief experience with DocuSign -- a failure on the VERY FIRST business experience. We'll stick to our system of scanning and emailing crucial legal documents in the field, as whenever a problem arises -- and we're only human so they're inevitable -- we can have them fixed RIGHT THEN, not a week later. We couldn't be less impressed with DocuSign. Abysmal waste of our company's time.

I am very disappointed in this company. I had an assistant for years that would complain to me about DocuSign but I asked her to do the best she could. Now she is off to another job and I am left having to deal with DocuSign. I had a question 4 hours ago... How do I extract a file so I can access it on an airplane without internet service? First I was calling the customer service phone number 866-219-4318. A frustrated man kept picking up and saying I was calling the wrong number. So I called the sales line 877-720-2040. They only wanted to talk to me if I was buying something and kept telling me to call 866-219-4318.

After about an hour of back and forth and getting pushed into a "customer service" voicemail I finally got through to a person in customer service. Then I find out I am dealing with a man in the Philippines that didn't really understand my needs as he has never flown anywhere and told me it was not possible. I asked for his supervisor and his supervisor told me "You can't extract a file and view it without internet access." The funny thing is my assistant used to do it all the time for me. I am frustrated with this company and now looking into other options.

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

Founded in 2003, DocuSign is one of the most popular electronic signature software companies. DocuSign is committed to keeping the document signing process 100 percent digital and has over 150 million users. Docusign pricing runs from $10 to $125 per month per user depending on features required.

• Easy to use: Upload a document for signature or retrieve it from cloud storage, enter the name and email address of each person who need to sign then use drag and drop to specify which fields need to be filled in by signers. Each field is highlighted in yellow for easy identification. Send the email, and when recipients review the document they’ll choose a unique signature to approve the document.
  • Cloud storage: Users can store documents in the cloud on Docusign’s servers. This makes documents easily accessible no matter where the Internet is being used.
  • Legal protection: DocuSign's products meet a slew of statutes and regulations regarding electronic signatures around the world, so it is legal and safe to use for signing important documents. If customers encounter a program, the company is committed to assisting with legal challenges.
  • Huge range of authentication methods: DocuSign offers a wide range of authentication methods, from third party ID to voice authentication, making it a customizable signature platform. Docusign integrates with Microsoft, Google, Salesforce and Netsuite products and has apps for Android, iOS and Kindle mobile devices.
  • Availability: The company has created software that is usable and accessible in more than 188 countries, so it is a convenient choice no matter where clients and users live. Docusign works for just about any industry including healthcare, insurance, real estate, education, legal, human resources and more.
  • Best for Green companies, companies that do business overseas, professionals who often travel and real estate professionals.

Compare Electronic Signature Software