2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.8/5 (318 ratings)

About Credit Karma

Credit Karma is a finance website that offers free services to consumers and provides credit scores and credit reports. Credit Karma designed its financial education resources to help you better understand and manage your finances, from tax filing to finding the right credit card company.

Pros

• Financial tools available
  • Tax filing assistance
  • Offers free credit reports
  • Financial education resources

Cons

• Doesn’t include Experian
  • May not be 100% accurate

Bottom Line

Credit Karma has much to offer for a free credit report service, including tax filing services. While it doesn’t include Experian credit reporting, its tools are still useful for people looking to improve their finances.

Top Credit Karma Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Never knew Credit Karma had a tax service. It was so easy to use and free! I even did my taxes in a "pay for program" (to compare the totals) and got the same result so knew it wa...

Verified

The Credit Karma helps keep track of your credit report. Also offers free tax service with help if you are audited. I would suggest everyone try this service as it's all at no cos...

What is Credit Karma?

Credit Karma lets you check your credit score anytime and anywhere. The company also helps you simulate changes to your credit score by weighing your outstanding credit card balances, length of credit history, payment history, types of credit accounts and applications for new credit accounts. The company gives people access to their credit score and credit report from TransUnion and Equifax and provides weekly updates and product recommendations.

How does Credit Karma work?

Credit Karma members receive free credit monitoring and financial tools as well as access to thousands of customer reviews on products Credit Karma recommends, including credit cards and loans. Available financial tools include a credit score simulator, debt repayment calculator, simple loan calculator and amortization calculator.

Through Credit Karma, consumers can apply for any of the following credit card options:

• Balance transfer cards
  • Reward cards
  • Travel cards
  • Cash back cards
  • 0% APR cards
  • Business cards
  • Cards for fair credit
  • Cards for bad credit

Credit Karma also helps members file their taxes and find personal, home and auto loans.

Is Credit Karma free?

Credit Karma’s services are free. The company will never ask for your credit card information. Credit reports, financial tools and tax filing services are free with Credit Karma.

There are financial products available from banks and lenders on its site, which is how Credit Karma makes its money. Credit Karma receives payment from its partners if you purchase one of the products the company recommends.

Credit Karma FAQ

Is it safe to use Credit Karma?
Credit Karma has a dedicated security system and bug bounty program to help protect the data on its site, and it uses 128-bit encryption to protect users. Additionally, the company promises to never share or sell your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are the credit scores on Credit Karma accurate?
Credit Karma reports include credit scores and information from TransUnion and Equifax, two of the three major credit bureaus. It does not use Experian, the third major credit bureau, so the reported score may not be 100% accurate.
Has Credit Karma been hacked?
The company did experience a technical malfunction in August 2019, but there was no confirmation of a data breach.
How much is Credit Karma?
Credit Karma’s services are free to consumers. The site makes money when people purchase financial products from other banks or lenders on its website.

Is Credit Karma safe?

Because Credit Karma offers free extensive financial resources and helps people understand their credit reports and credit scores, we think it’s a good service — even though it doesn’t have reporting from one of the three major credit bureaus. We recommend Credit Karma for its free financial tools, resources and tax filing capabilities.

Credit Karma Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2021

It's a simple and hopefully safe way to bank, and as well check on my credit. It's something that you don't need to go to a physical building to get your banking done. At my age it's better to bank online.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I am a senior citizen and a retired educator. Being of little means, on social security, I wanted something simple, secure and reliable. A few years ago when I was looking for such a way online, I stumbled across Credit Karma. Before I went there, I began the process with another online entity that advertised itself as free, but near the end of that process they asked me how I wanted to pay their processing fee! With Credit Karma, there are no games. What they advertise is what we get. I am very happy with them.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Credit Karma has given me so much help but I have build my credit score back up and I am living a much better life because of them and their help. Thank you credit karma. You are fantastic and I mean that.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Very satisfied with this service from Credit Karma. Had my return done in just a few minutes. And unlike TaxAct and TurboTax, there was no charge for my filing, state or federal. They both wanted to charge around an extra $40 to complete my filing (because I had a lottery winning). It truly is a shame since I have used TaxAct exclusively in the past.

The process was easy. Though when I tried to do it through the app on my phone, there were glitches that frustrated me. But when I decided to go to the full website, there was no problem whatsoever. I was informed that it would take a short while for confirmation that my returns were accepted by state and federal, and very happy that I had that confirmation well within 15 minutes.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I had to quickly transfer money from Credit Karma account to my checking account at my bank. It was an easy transaction to make because the instructions were concise and easy to understand. It stated that it would take between 5-7 days to transfer but it was done in 2 days.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I have NEVER in my life experienced anything like what I am currently going through with this company! I had to hire a lawyer finally after 6 MONTHS of trying to get some answers and have access to my funds! NO ONE knows what they are doing! NO ONE has any answers! They actually continued to REFUSE to transfer me numerous times to a supervisor or appropriate department!

Every single person says that someone else will handle it and\or get back to you and for 6 months NOTHING was done and I had NO access to my funds which they then froze my account causing all of my auto bill pays to bounce back and in total I was charge over 4500 in fees, not to mention the emotional distress, time wasted, and trauma I was put through by being screamed at over and over again and put through the wringer by all of their employees. Never in my life would I have ever thought a company would do to someone what they have done to me. I just pray someone puts and end to it and that I make it to court to try to put a stop to them!!!

Original review: June 13, 2021

First let me say, I used Credit Karma for many years but recently, after accepting a loan invitation by one of Credit Karma Sponsors, I got locked out of my credit Karma Account. I think they compromised my credit. I have used Credit Karma for years. This "popup" about a pre- approval for NetCredit kept showing up that I had very high approval odds. I didn't really need it so I didn't bother for a while. Finally I applied via Credit Karma to NetCredit for the loan. It showed that I was approved. I submitted all requested information. Then a lot of emails kept coming requesting more and more information. I questioned them because it seemed strange. I had never had this problem before after approvals of loans, credit cards etc via Credit Karma. The more I asked questions the worse it got.

They started requesting more and more information. Strange emails back and forth with this lender or whoever it was. They wanted a copy of drivers license. Photos of me. On and on. At first they had told me it was all approved. I reluctantly submitted my photo and DL. Mind you, they had already told me that I had been approved so i was starting to wonder what was going on. . Then they wanted more information. I asked them if this was some kind of scam. Several email back and forth-. It started to seem more like a fishing scam than a loan approval process. They led me to believe that was all I needed was to submit that I.D.

Then whoever these people are wanted me to call them and talk to this person and provide them with more information. At that point, I asked them to destroy my private information because it seemed like some sort of scam and told them I was going to report it. It seemed more and more like a scam all the time. I told them I was afraid it was a scam and I hoped they hadn't compromised my personal and credit information.

A week or so later, I tried to log into my Credit Karma account. I have been using credit Karma for many years. It said my Credit Karma account and been "deactivated". I've tried to log in, change my email address. I can't get back into my own account and it keeps saying I already have an account. I believe these people compromised my credit information. It really left me with a bad feeling the way they kept fishing for information.. I believe this company had something to do with it.

Right now I'm reporting all of this to the State Attorney Generals office because I believe this company had something to do with it. I've been using credit karma for well over a decade without any problems. This isn't a coincidence. I think these people compromised my information. The entire thing was very suspicious. Beware of providing personal information to them. I am in the process of putting a lock on my credit because of this company and what happened. It seems like a scam to me.

As of right now, I can't get back into my own credit profile via credit karma. I have emailed them with no response. I think they've compromised my credit information and someone is using my account information to log into credit karma. I also tried to set up another credit monitoring and the same thing happened. I've never had this problem until this very suspicious thing went down involving NETCREDIT via CREDIT KARMA... BUYER BEWARE..

Original review: June 7, 2021

Credit Karma started out as a great FREE way to monitor my credit report. As time went on the adds increased for me to HELP my score by applying for a new credit card. Eventually I did just that. Immediately my score dropped. A hard inquiry being reported. But as time went by it SLOWLY regained itself back to what I felt was decent, 700, but not quite what I wanted, 750+. Due to a vehicle breaking down, I decided to use 1500. Of my new 11k credit line. To pay for repairs. I had the cash, but was contemplating buying a new vehicle and wanted to save for a down payment. Immediately my score dropped. From 749 to 713. Not what I wanted to happen at all. I ended up purchasing the new car and lo and behold my credit was just under 800. Credit Karma had been lying to me all along. Stringing me along to try harder and harder to stimulate my credit and in turn LOWER MY SCORE. CREDIT KARMA IS A JOKE!!!

Original review: May 15, 2021

I started using this for my taxes and changed my mind almost immediately. I wanted to deactivate my account and data, instructions on site did not work. I sent an email to their support and they said they would deactivate it for me. It was never deactivated! I get email after email daily from inept support people that it will be deactivated with my response. I sent them 5 responses saying to deactivate it! Today I got two more emails from different support people. This place is scary to say the least. It should be monitored by the government. It's sneaky and inept. They have too much information on you?

Original review: May 13, 2021

Chat for help doesn't work on Chrome for me. Use Firefox or some other browser. I had a problem and couldn't reach them. Other than this it is a good product. Taxes are hard, and going through the whole Credit Karma form takes a long time.

Credit Karma Company Information