craigslist

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Craigslist used to be a good site to look for pretty much anything used. I was previously looking for a vehicle and got the whole "if you send me the money I'll send you the car". Get out of here with that crap. Now I'm looking for a house or an apartment and they want money but won't show the places first. I wasn't born yesterday! I will not ever get on their website again. Find somewhere else. You won't get a free with this site.

Service was excellent when using Craigslist but that was the only good part of the experience. Dealing with the general public has been totally disheartening. Just two of twenty people were honest and trustworthy.

I think the only thing left on CL that's legitimate is the jobs section, since companies have to pay to post there. The housing ads are mostly credit ck scams, where you pay for a credit ck for a house or apt that isn't even for rent. Or they copy and paste a real estate listing and list it as a rental to lure people to prepay a deposit or rent on a property that is owned by someone else.

NOW, because I've found it SO hard to find a car being sold by the person who drove it, instead of a dealer, I decided to try Craigslist. I used their mileage filter to pull up only those cars with fewer than 30,000 miles. CL lets the seller input the EXACT amount in the "odometer" field. I got 400 listings!! Out of that 400, only ONE actually had fewer than 100,000 miles!! Why? Because ALL of the sellers (most are small-time dealers posing as private sellers) post numbers without using zeros. Some even posted numbers like "22,000" when they "meant" 220,000. I'm amazed at how many car dealers don't know how many zeros there are in numbers from 100,000 and up. SHEESH.

Oh, and if you're a low-skilled and uneducated person seeking a job on CL, don't even THINK about the "gigs" section. In household gigs, most of the jobs are males seeking to dupe females with "jobs" like "personal assistant" into sex, or pretending to be professional photographers so they can get females to pose nude for them, and THEN have sex. In the labor sections, you'll find people wanting an electrician and plumber who'll work for $8/hr. Forget about EVER finding anyone who works for CL to care one bit about any problems with their site.

My girlfriend and I was looking for a bird for my birthday. We found the one we really wanted so my girlfriend made a contact to this guy named Kyle ** who sell the bird for $400.00 but adding travel cost fee $137.00 which it is $537.00. From my experience, I've seen and heard people traveling for pets to be delivered so I thought this is legit and honesty. Kyle and my girlfriend have been texting since the day we wanted the bird. Until then, after the money is being transferred from MoneyGram, everything went goes wrong. Kyle stated that he went to USDA to do some paper works then drop off the bird to the agent that will be delivering to my house even worst part is we gave them our personal address!

Kyle refused to give us specific answers from what we asked is what is the name of place that will deliver to us, send us a proof that the arrangement to be made, etc. Kyle text me with an email address that I can get a hold of the agent, never heard from them. I received an email from the agent, the email address is ** and the "flyer" document have so many misspellings and the logo are traced from international airline which means it is fake. I asked Kyle to cancel everything and get my money back or I will go to see the law enforcement. Everything seems to be so real til at end of the day, it rip you apart. I filed report and hopefully I'll find a way to get my money back. Lesson learned. Do not go on cragislist.org to purchase something. I'd stick with eBay, Amazon or anything that are 100% legit. If you hear this person named Kyle **, please report. He is still actively out there scamming people since I am still waiting to hear from law enforcement for a result.

On the Men for Men personal ads against HIV people, **, Asians, fats, femmes etc. I am sick seeing most ads discriminating and claiming it is their preference. Let them do the work and have people contact directly. HIV people on meds post no risk of infection and people should be using condoms. Period.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Craigslist?

I had wood delivered Tues, 11/01/16. According to the ad, it was (SEASONED FIREWOOD) split, stacked, del (half cord)-$105. Was informed by the Wood Guy, as he is called, that sale was cash only. He delivered wood later than he said that evening. I put the "seasoned wood" in a glass enclosed sunroom that night. Left a complaint to him the following morning, as seasoned wood was damp enough to steam up sealed glass storage room... and still hasn't even begun to burn. Last time I ever buy from him again. The Wood Guy never bothered to return my call. I called my contact from last year, who will be delivering another 1/2 cord this Monday.

I have been posting on Craigslist for years mostly automobiles and got flagged as most do. Been through ghosting and all that. My account page has been all pink. But now I'm posting in pets section for about 2 years. Same ole same ole flagged even more. My account whole page is pink. So I make new account new phone number and use only my cell phone to post. Things were ok for a week or 2 then my ads started getting deleted by staff before posted. Now I try to post and Craigslist is blocking my post. I think by me changing accounts and only using my cell phone to post, it would have been hard for Craigslist to make the connection that it was me. I think a very jealous friend is telling/reporting lies to Craigslist and making it even harder for me!!! Is that possible or is it Craigslist?

I tried meeting some women on CL personals because I just got a divorce and thought I would see what's out there. Well, I had 2 girls show interest very quickly. They both sounded like caring, sensitive and mature women seeking a long term relationship. Cool right? Wrong!! These sneaky ** both told me everything I wanted to hear and even promised to let me make all the decisions in the relationship. But they were from Ghana, Nigeria. That's where all of those damn lottery scams and royalty wanting to transfer funds to your account for a payment to you came from. Nigeria is the WORST! And they were both from there. 1st red flag. 2nd red flag was they spoke weird broken English that sounded very cerebral. Big words all over the place. 3rd red flag they made all kinds of promises to gain your trust. 4th and final red flag was when they revealed their true intentions.

The first said that if I loved her I would support her fully. Which means buy me a plane ticket to Atlanta from Nigeria! Oh, that's not suspect! I kept trying to ask her what her plans were for us if we both decided to get married. I wanted her to tell me step by step how this was going to work and how she planned to get here. But she just kept spouting pretty relationship crap about love and trust and support. BS. So I spelled it out for her and she said "yes, I need you to pay for a plane ticket." That's where the scam was revealed. She wants money. Hmmmm. Nope. Not gonna happen. She gets your money and I bet all of the sudden she is gone and you can't get your money back because she lives 2000 miles away on a whole different continent. I'm not stupid. I just play one on tv. Lol.

The other one wanted money for a ticket also. But, claimed her uncle worked at the airport and could take care of it for me. BS again. She just wants your money. As soon as I called her out they both acted all surprised like they didn't know what scam I was talking about. I mean, who gives several hundred dollars to someone you just met on the internet based on promises that can't be backed up anyway? Stupid people I guess? So of course after being exposed they stopped talking to me. Big surprise! And they all listed on their profiles that they lived in the US. Another red flag, they don't live where their info says.

And after reading the reviews of other sites like eHarmony, Plenty of Fish and OkCupid, I am furious. I'm so mad I think my brain is gonna pop. Why can't vigilante superheroes be real, like the punisher? It all just makes me sick. Don't get tricked. Don't give money to someone you haven't met ever!! And if that isn't bad enough. There are tons of girls responding to my post saying they want to have sex right now. But they want me to do this little favor first. 1st red flag. And they want you to verify you're over 18 and not a sexual predator by going to this site and filling out some info. Sounds legit at first. And they tell you it's free. And then they promise all kinds of sex when you get their cell number from the site. BS.

You go to the site, fill out the info, and then they want your credit card. So I tried it. Then my bank called about suspicious activity on my card. Those bastards charged my card $39 and lied to me. So the guy from the bank helped me out and was friendly and canceled the charge. Cool. 2nd red flag. She keeps emailing me after I told her this was bs, saying "here, now try this site. They don't ask for CC". But they asked for my card. Of course. She is still sending emails with the same story each time. Each time, bogus.

I have been looking for a week on CL personals and haven't found a real girl yet. One girl even posted a pic of a woman at her desk wearing a dress green military uniform with 3 gold stars on her shoulders. It was so obviously fake as soon as I read her info. She said she was a sergeant in the army. I laughed because I was in the army NG field artillery. Sergeants have 3 chevron stripes, not 3 stars. Stars means general. That's the highest rank you can get besides being the President of the US. You are more likely to get hit by lightning than to find a real girl on CL. I hope this info helped someone.

I was looking for a RV to buy. When I came across one that stated for sale 1994 winnebago that was got in a divorce and didn't want it or use it for $2000 buy. Had to use ebay gift cards for $500 each. Well l sent them the money like told then had to send $1500 more for insurance. Well it was supposed to be ebay motors which turned out to be a scam. I contacted ebay and craigslist with lady's name address and also contacted craigslist and attorney general but nothing and I'm out 3500 dollars. Called tv stations but no one was interested in a disabled veteran and senior citizen being scammed out of $3500. Why haven't you reported it to people to watch out for these RV. Scams.

Someone has lifted photos of me from Facebook and put them on 4 different CraigsList. They have said many horrible things about me and said I live in a filthy home and breed various animals for sale. They listed my full name and full address, including a map showing my home. I have neutered dogs and no other animals. They said I sold them a bird for $300 and it died the same day. I do not have any birds. They said I am a scammer and many other terrible things. I am now afraid and my business is being put at risk. I am bullied by someone and they are hiding behind an anonymous name. CL will not let me know who is bullying me. They have done this before and CL always protects their identity. CL cares nothing about them tormenting me. It is obvious that a person can cause a lot of damage to someone they don't like if they want to use CL as their means.

Craigslist blocking my incoming messages. Posted resume in the job section. Now I don't get emails. It's called (ghosting). Another thing if you are experiencing this horrible acts on a person you might want to look up gang stalking. I pray the day these people get noticed by the public. Warrantless surveillance. Wastes taxpayer's money cause there's no return on investment.

The handyman was knowledgeable regarding many things - plumbing, electrical, etc. and explained what was wrong where I could understand.

For the last number of months now, I can't seem to use craigslist at home due to my IP being blocked. This only happens from my home, and none of my ads are impacted. I get a message with an email stating to contact them to find out about my IP being blocked, though I have yet to ever get an email. I have emailed them so many times that it is ridiculous at this point. I have not broken any of their service rules that I know of, and they don't seem interested in telling me anything about it.

Main issues: They block my IP without giving a reason. They refuse to respond to any email I send them at the email address they gave me regarding the block. They post no information online that allows me to figure out what is wrong with my IP. This blocks me from properly managing my various posts on their site. This kind of customer service is basically non-existent. Horrible experience.

I just made my sister's life very hard with purchasing a puppy from craigslist. She cries and kids cry all the time. We got the parvo puppy from someone on first of July. Real nightmare to us. Since then we don't have life and just fighting to keep him healthy but not working out. We spent a lots of money taking him to vet. We are feeling so unlucky. GOD please help us to identify this people because they can make anyone's life to nightmare.

People need to be a little more responsible. If someone ripped you off on Craigslist, then they would have ripped you or someone else off anyway. It means they have it in them. I have a great job with a great company. They got me by putting their job posting. I just got a car from a posting on Craigslist. I found my current car on Craigslist. There are a number of problems with this car. I had an accident from turning into a doctor's office, hitting a curb and knocking down a sign. Found out the breaks were really bad. So is that Craigslist's fault? No. That seller would have found another way to sell it. I have a great job because of Craigslist.

I've been using CL for a while most of the time buying stuff. Never had a problem. Sometimes I sold stuff as well. Again no problem. Lately, I've been using only to track possible gigs. I keep 3 pages open, each one with one subject. On the past 2 weeks, I've been blocked out of the blue. They send an email contact. I wrote back 13 times and I haven't received a single reply even for a lame explanation such "we don't like you and we don't want you to use our website". I think I would prefer that because at least I would understand why I've been blocked. By the way, the gigs I've been looking for are as translator/voice over artist and church musician. Nothing that can be described even close to a suspicious/malicious activity.

I was banned for posting an ad for clones. I am a valid patient and only sell to verified patients and state such. I was deleted and then my IP banned. Other ads by businesses are still up even though they do not say they only sell to patients. This is because the business pays for ads. I believe they are even the ones who reported my posts. If Craigslist is going to enforce a rule they have to apply the rules to everyone equally.

I am a Licensed General Building contractor and I post my ads on Craigslist, the Skilled Services section. The past few months, someone who has software that can flag off and delete ads is targeting me and has managed to wipe out my entire account of ads and have done the same with my employees' ads and their accounts. We have emailed Craig Newmark personally, time and time again only to get the same response "we're working on it, sent info to my team". This has been going on for MONTHS and nothing is done about it. My business is now tanking and I'm just about out of business!! Thanks for nothing Craigslist!!

Craigslist is a site that's used by the ones that just post information and it stays there forever. I doubt that they even regulate anything about the site anyway. I've sold things on Craigslist and tried to delete private information. Nope, can't do that. I've tried to post a few listings for free stuff, they were all over that one even if it's not at their expense. Why would Craigslist fund a non for profit site that abuses information.

No way to talk to a live human being. Voice recordings and emails with automatic responses seem to be the way to go with craigslist. They remove your ads with no indicators as to why. I have tried emailing them and yet my responses are automatic. The response you get when you call in to them is to email them. You are basically just are running around in circles getting nothing accomplished with them. When they remove ads they need to start giving explanations as to why. I have read through all of the rules and it makes absolutely no sense as to why my ads are being removed. I can spend hours compiling ads and trying to help my customers out. I used to love craigslist and lately it is just a huge hassle. I used to recommend everyone to them. I want everyone to know how terrible I think their customer service is. Thanks for nothing!

I have a serious problem with the search engine. After posting an ad about my car for sale, I put the info about my car in the filter but could not find my car & the others in competition with it. Repeatedly, unrelated misc. cars resulted. This leads me to believe that someone interested in my type of car would have the same problem. Wasted money.

There are a lot of women and men on Craigslist claiming to be licensed beauticians with fake websites and fake pictures. This lady scammed me with fake pictures of hair that she did not do. Her name is Cyn and she had a page in which she just shut down under **!! Now I know why she came up with that name! She did my hair and I wouldn't tell nobody!!! She is located in Sacramento and if you see this number (because she changes her name constantly) ** please don't call it!!! She is not a beautician and is a big scammer.

I was scammed by a guy named Simon **. He posts work about insulation, duct cleaning, finish carpentry, painting, and general labor. He was supposed to do drywall work, painting and some carpentry. He did about 25% of the job, terribly I might add. Then he took off with $1100 in cash and the key to my home. Craigslist needs to more proactive about stopping frauds like this. I have been contacted by others who said they too fell victim to this same man.

Since I do not have a personal IP, I am waiting and waiting to sell my livestock (SPRINGTIME IS SALE TIME), until Craigslist bothers to answer Total Highspeed's email. I have tried multiple times to contact anyone, any machine, any robot, any anything at this backward company. Nothing. Craigslist needs a customer service line that actually goes to customer service.

Consumer Increased Rating!

These people selling on Craigslist are now shut down---Not before ripping off (at least a hundred poor people). They sold used appliances on-line.

Bill of Baton Rouge, LA on

Original Review

We are in Louisiana. Craigslist is encouraging online orders complete with PayPal. Ordering used appliances online -- paying through PayPal. Orders are (supposed) to be delivered -- 1-2 weeks! Creating misery for poor people! Letting these dealers to do multiple post (hundreds) on 1 account! These (online dealers) are breaking every CL rule. Nothing done! While rule following dealers are held to strict standards! CL -- in not. Amazon, eBay, HSN, Qvc. You cannot order used appliances online and expect them to be delivered! Recipe for disaster! CL is normally free. Is this company paying extra for their favors?

I am seeking a specific pet dog but they only have choices for a category that do not include pets. I cannot get them to answer the question via the contact us link. They just keep on sending long lists of instructions and sites that do not address this query. I see wanted pets in the pet category but cannot determine how they got posted into that category. No one there will answer. If any readers know the answer I sure would appreciate them telling me.

I love craigslist. Always looking at the S.F. bay area Farm and Supplies. Problem is the sellers of og clones prop 215 marijuana have taken it over. The ratio seems to be 4 to 1... for every 1 legitimate ad placed, there are 4 pot ads. I don't have a problem with the buyers or sellers of the product, but I wish Craigslist would give them their own category so we won't have to sift through what appears to be hundreds of pot ads.

Ads I post not getting posted over and over and over on help from Craigslist is BS.

I was looking on Craigslist for employment opportunities and located an ad for a Personal Assistant to help with errands and drive. I answered the ad and they asked for my resume and information. They immediately without speaking to me told me I had the position and I had to be very Understanding and cooperative. They would send me funds for me to go to foster homes. I am writing because this is a scam and this is the time of year that many will be looking for work. People need to be aware of this because many who get hustled suffer in silence. People need to know the scammers and prevent themselves from harm.

Respond to a girl her and I exchanged a few messages and after the third message she wanted me to be verified. That's a BIG SCAM with Craigslist. They should be SHUT DOWN. The scam is that they want you to enter your credit card info for age verification. **. When you go to a bar and they ask you to prove your age, what, do they ask for ID or Credit Card? Answer ID.

craigslist Company Profile