2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

3.7/5 (299 ratings)

About Rakuten.com

Rakuten, formerly known as Ebates, serves over 12 million users in the US by providing cash back deals and promo codes for shoppers. With a browser extension tool and over 2,500 brands on its site, Rakuten offers deals and savings in nearly every online market.

Pros

• Deals and discounts available
  • Cash back earnings on purchases

Cons

• Limited rideshare offers
  • Must have a PayPal account

Bottom Line

Rakuten’s promotional deals and coupons let you save money on everyday purchases. The online shopping platform provides opportunities for people to earn cash back on products from more than 2,400 brands.

Top Rakuten.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

99% percent of the time rebates go through seamlessly… It's a no brainer to head onto Rakuten website and go through one of there links to receive money back on products I buy on ...

Verified

I’ve been using Rakuten.com for years. Getting money back each time I shop online is awesome. The site is easy to use, and if there are any questions, the member services departme...

What is Rakuten?

Rakuten works with a wide variety of stores to give you cash back deals and discounts. With Rakuten, you receive cash back payments every three months, either through a check in the mail or via PayPal. The company’s browser extension tool lets you see deals when searching for products on the internet, and its Price Magic feature lets you see what percentage you’ll receive in cash back rewards.

How does Rakuten work?

Rakuten gives you access to coupons, sales and cash back rewards all in one place. Its website includes all of the brands and services it currently works with, including companies like Groupon, Ulta, Nike and Sephora.

Rakuten lets you shop any way you want and earn rewards. You can access its tools through Rakuten’s mobile app or shop from its website. You must add a credit or debit card to your account to use Rakuten’s mobile app features.

The Rakuten Cash Back Visa card lets shoppers earn up to 3% extra cash back on qualifying purchases and 1% cash back on all other purchases. The Cash Back Visa has no annual fees and comes with a zero-fraud-liability policy.

Is Rakuten free?

Signing up and creating an account on Rakuten is free for customers. When you make a purchase using Rakuten’s services, the company makes a commission or takes a percentage of the profit from the seller.

Rakuten FAQ

Can I trust Rakuten?
Rakuten is an international company that takes precautions to ensure it complies with the General Data Protection Regulations. Reputable brands and stores trust Rakuten to provide promotions and deals to its customers.
How do I contact Rakuten?
Rakuten offers a help center on its website. Customers can also get more personalized help through their account after signing up.
How do you use Rakuten in stores?
To use Rakuten in stores, shoppers need to download the Rakuten mobile app. With the app, you select the store you’d like to shop at and see available offers. You then need to link the offer to your account and use your debit or credit card to make a purchase. It typically takes a few hours or days for the funds to appear in your account.
What is the catch with Rakuten?
There’s no catch to Rakuten, but you must buy items to earn cash back. Once your account has reached $5, the company releases cash back payments. Earnings depend on the amount you spend.

Is Rakuten legit?

Budget-savvy shoppers who would like to save while buying items they need should look into Rakuten’s discounts and cash back rewards program. We recommend Rakuten for families, avid shoppers and travelers who would like to earn rewards on their purchases.

Rakuten.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten.com?

Original review: April 1, 2021

I started using Rackuten.com late last year. Also referred family and friends during holiday. Except for my brother and nephew that share the same name all other family referrals hit my account. The only issue I have had was with one online shop that did not show up in my account the next day. I entered the order number and website and money put in immediately. Pending review or not it is part of my next check coming out. I love it. I have actually placed orders and cancelled them to reorder when the cashback was higher next day. All reflected perfectly. Checks come when promised or when mail delivers. I never used to care about these sites but now I consider the additional cash back as added % off items and when already 40% off on some retail chains this is a great addition.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I order a lot through Rakuten. When it was Ebates my rebate checks were on time and a nice amount. Now though I get about half of what I use to get back from Rakuten. Does anyone know of a better site to use. I'm so done with Rakuten.

Sincerely,

Very dissatisfied customer!!

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

The check I just got had the check number where the routing number should be first on the line. The routing number, or so I presume, is second on the line format. Then it appears some garbage account number ** is third. No bank will allow deposit for cashing of this check. This can't be a mistake if this company is legitimate and has been in operations for more than a year. Could be a scam. Check is stamped signed by Mail Patel, CEO. Two banks identified at the top Silicon Valley Bank Pittsburgh PA and presumed routing number is for The Bank of New York Mellon, New York NY. And the company address is identified as 160 Spear Street 19th floor San Francisco CA 94105. Don't know what is true about this company and what is false.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I've been trying to access my cash back for a month now. Every time I sign on I go to my account settings, tells me what my cash back balance is and then it tells me to add address then I click on address and then continues to continuously pop up saying that address there is no way for me to add an address so there is no way for me to access my cash back which means that this is a big scam.

Original review: June 7, 2021

My experience has proven that what is promised as the percentages in rewards at the time of purchase is not necessarily what you always receive. When the browser extension states 4%, 5% or 6%, you will only receive 1%! I bet if you check your history of payments you will see that this has happened many times to you as well. I am in the process of collaboration on a class action suit since I believe that they are operating under the wire and if others really check, they too will realize that Rakuten is cheating them as well.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I opened an account with this business and had it open for several months. Over these months I purchased several items through their website and accumulated around $150. However, right before the payday they closed my account claiming that it's in a violation of their policy. They don't have any numbers so I emailed them to find out what policy is violated. After a week they just responded the account is in violation of their policy and provided no further explanation. I told them to reimburse me the cashback balance which they had collected from the businesses I made a purchase from. After another several days they responded that I have forfeited my rights to get any cashback. This a scam and a fraud I have never seen before.

Original review: April 24, 2021

I recommend this app to so many family and friends, but I'm now doing reviews to see if they are a scam because, for months they keep on changing the mailing days for checks. My family and friends are now getting rid of the app. They think it's a scam. I feel really bad for recommending it to them, I'm confused.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I received a cash back check from Rakuten. Deposited the check in my account and the check BOUNCED. THERE WAS NO ROUTING OR ACCOUNT # ON THE CHECK, PLUS IT WAS NOT SIGNED. Rakuten is a total waste of time. There was no way to explain the problem in their website and guess what, they don't have an email address or phone number. I am sorry these people have my information and they are not in the U.S.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I have been a member of Rakuten since 2012. Recently I made purchases through AT&T and Verizon as well as many others. Suddenly my account was closed and the reason was I had ineligible purchases. They told this in past when owed $250 and I spoke to the company and waS told they have no say in what Rakuten pays. They're liars, plain and simple. Now they me $417. 72 which they tell me is ineligible. This been on my account since February. I find very convenient for them. They get money from the vendors and tell you are ineligible, that is how they make their money. Greed runs this company.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Beware of fraud and follow-up collection threat! We signed up with the Rakuten Affiliate platform in early 2020. They promised great data of affiliates and publishers with amazing features and abilities. All was overpromised and underdelivered. If I say straightforward - they just give you any information you like to hear to get you signed up on a monthly fee and it is nowhere near reality. Total **. After spending many months on paid service and get absolute zero results we demand termination based on a false advertising argument. But they kept promising boost and kept charging us. After almost a year they agreed to terminate it but still threat us with a collection for thousands of service fees for service they never delivered. People at Rakuten who is responsible for this ad fraud: ** Kenny, ** Catherine.

Original review: April 7, 2021

My account became unavailable online and they were asking for all kinds of proof for an online transaction. I was a little frustrated and told them to cancel it. The agent proceeded to delete my account without even empathizing. Now I have list my cashback. I have been a customer for seven years and this is how they treat customers. I can't call or speak with anyone and my emails get ignored.

Rakuten.com Company Information