Brookstone

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This seller advertises products it doesn't actually carry, then ships something else. I ordered a ProForm 225CSE Elliptical from them on Amazon (they don't even carry any ProForm CSE models). Instead, they shipped me a 150i. I didn't realize they had shipped me the wrong unit until the Amazon services rep had finished assembling it and I realized it looked nothing like what I had ordered.

Once I realized this, I contacted them. They said it had been discontinued & replaced by the 150i (which was a lie, as both were released the same model year). They made numerous attempts to shirk responsibility for their error/deception. They tried to tell me that Amazon sent them the wrong order information - they recanted when I waived the BS flag. They tried to tell me that it was the manufacturer's fault for not updating their inventory, but I looked at the shipping label and confirmed it didn't ship from the manufacturer, but from a Brookstone subsidiary. They refused to refund my $60 assembly charge as well.

I have purchased two products both over $300. Both have broken, the company has no facilities or stocks any parts to repair anything. It's the law that electronic retailers must have parts in stock for 7 years to repair broken items. The company said over a year it's a DISPOSABLE item. Who wants to pay over 300-400 for a device and throw it out after a year? This company is not acting in good faith and has no concern or responsibility to consumer. Another scam is they are closing stores and claim they have no way to look up the charge card you used to show proof of purchase.

FedEx shipped to the wrong address, but after I told Brookstone they immediately shipped another ChiliPad to the correct address. I've heard great things about this product, and now have great things to say about Brookstone!

I received a flight force hd video drone for Christmas. Since the proprietary battery last 8 minutes and takes 50 minutes to charge I set out to get more batteries. Brookstone has no information in the packaging, on the website and customer service has no idea if there is a way to order these. I called customer service the first time and was told I would hear from a parts department in a day.

Two days later I called back and was on hold for 30 minutes and they said the parts department would call me (still waiting). Brookstone bothers to put their name all over this product and packaging and then totally drops the ball on service after the sale. I have bought massagers and other items here never more than a couple hundred dollars. I have found that I can get equal or better quality products for less and much better customer service at other places. Really sad that a company can't stand behind the products they sell in a customer service driven environment.

I purchased a wireless headset and some mittens from the Brookstone in the Atlanta Airport Terminal F on before Christmas thinking I would give them as a white elephant present during Christmas. When I got to my destination, I changed my mind and decided on purchasing something else. The two items never left my bag they were purchased in. Since I still had the receipt and the product were not used or opened, I knew that I could return them on my return trip.

When I tried to return the products at the same store I had purchased them, the Asst Manager, Solomon???, laughed at me and said they return personal items and pointed to the back of the receipt. (Deceptive disclosure at best.) I read the details and it said, the store may not return personal items if opened. The gloves still had the plastic connector and USB tag, never worn, and he refused to refund my money. What really got me angry though was when he said no to the wireless headset, which was still in its unopened box. He refused to refund them as well. He did not even look at the box to see that it was not opened just refused to refund my money saying it was a personal item. At this point I had to catch my plane and so I left not happy by not only his demeanor but also his obstinate refusal to even look at the products.

I find this kind of return policy to be extremely deceptive and if the store is going to take this stance they need to highlight/advertise this at the time of purchase, as opposed to pointing to the back of a receipt. This sort of unethical behavior is what gives business a bad name. I understand if the gloves had been worn or even if the tagging had been removed, but in both instances they were not. Thus, not only will I never buy from this store ever again, I am going to make it my mission in life to dissuade as many people as I can from purchasing from this business as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookstone?

Consumer Increased Rating!

If you live in Canada I suggest you never do business with the US company Brookstone because if you have a problem with your purchase you are going to get the runaround. I bought a massager for $226. It stopped working, called to arrange a refund, six weeks later nothing. Called in and was told that the refund was coming through Borderfree who handles their Canadian orders apparently. I was told to call Borderfree at a long distance number! I said, "No, you call them and speak to them, I did business with you." After a few minutes listening to customer care robotic babble I asked to speak to a manager who repeated the same babble using slightly better vocabulary. Even though upon purchase I was told if there were any issues with the product I had a year to return it.

I ended the call and minutes later got an email from Borderfree, what a coincidence saying they had refunded me $10.49 from my $226 order. LMAO!! I called back and told a supervisor called Lauren (ex **) rude, arrogant and clearly hired to cover Brookstone's ar**. I told her what I thought of my Brookstone experience then promptly called Paypal who fortunately for me was my method of payment. I opened a dispute to get my money back and filed a complaint against the lying, thieving Brookstone. BUYER BEWARE.

Do not order from this company! They ship items from third party and after guaranteeing the item will be delivered in time you find out they are using a third party who hasn't even shipped it out yet a week later! Bad business!!!

I placed an order a month ago - to receive all but one item as indicated within a couple of weeks. When that item was not received I called Brookstone only to be told to be patient. After calling back 2 times and being told the same thing I can no longer get a hold of anyone. One month later I called four different number - at one point waiting up to 45 minutes for no one to answer. At this point I can not get hold of anyone to get a refund as they found it fitting to charge me for an item I was never going to receive! I will now be disputing it through my credit card to get the money back! BUYER BEWARE - I would never order from Brookstone online!!!

First and last time I will ever purchase anything from this company. I ordered a simple little golf putt set for my boss. Engraved with three words. They only put two of the words. Called support, they told me it came from a 3rd party vendor who would call me back that afternoon. Afternoon came and went. I called them around the same time the next day and was told it would be 24-48hrs for them to call me back. NOT what I was told day before, but so be it.

Next day I still don't get a call -- it's now 48hrs -- I call back and am told they have not heard from the vendor yet. SO another day, I finally am told that they can't guarantee I'll have the replacement by holidays. I asked why not, b/c it's over 2 weeks before Christmas and it only took a week for it to get to me originally anyway... besides, being it's their fault, why wouldn't they send it express?? Well turns out the vendor does not allow them to do that! Oh, ok....so that's fine, I expect I should still have time --- well midway thru the call, she tells me, "you know what, I'm seeing now that we are OUT OF STOCK. So we will have to refund you. We'll send you a call tag to return it for refund."

Day goes by, and no call tag. I call. "Yes, sorry, it takes about 24-48hrs to receive the label!" I was furious. But not so much in the lack of communication, but in the fact that I didn't even get one morsel of sympathy or apology from any of the reps I spoke to. JUST ANOTHER DAY, clearly. Fine. So I wait over 48hrs to call back - but before I called them, I noticed they left me a voicemail that they may have some in stock and be able to replace after all. TOO LATE, I've meanwhile already bought another one from Amazon and got it in a day. "NO", I say, "I just want my refund." Eventually, they conclude that they do not want the product back because it is customized, and for me to just take a picture and send it to them, and they'll refund me. I will report back.

When I placed my order there was no indication that the item was not in stock. On the date it was scheduled to ship - 4 days after order date - I received an email that the item was still on back order. Still? I was never advised that it ever was. The next ship date is 5 weeks later. But when I went on their site to look at the item again it shows a ship date 3 weeks before the date I was given. Apparently they oversell and do not advise the customers.

Purchased item online, was not happy with purchase and decided to return to local store. Was told I could NOT return to store because I paid through Paypal, even though that was an option, so now I have to package it up and take to UPS. Will NOT purchase from this store again.

So I ordered a pocket projector online. They sent it to me which took 2 weeks, then I never got it at my door. The customer rep said "don't worry we will priority mail it to you." Then I never got it the 2nd time. I call back and ask for a shipping, they said it will be there in a week. So I guess 2 day shipping was another mislead, just like their price they quote online. Whatever, I really wanted one so I bought it. Then after waiting another week and not having it come in. The lady has the nerve to tell me to wait another week and if I don't get it, THEN she will refund me. Lol, this company's a joke. The owner of Brookstone needs to re think his hiring process or this company's going to drain real quick.

It was very misleading of Brookstone to offer 15% off ("no minimum order necessary use promo code: WD5065 at checkout") when a potential customer signs up for their email program. When I tried to apply the 15% offer on an item, it would not accept the discount because my item was "not eligible" for a discount. The customer service representative apologized and said that only certain items are eligible. This is very misleading as the email thanking the customer for signing up with Brookstone does not make this clear. I don't like to be tricked or taken advantage of in this way. Brookstone's competitors would not treat their potential customers like this. They would honor the discount. I am not happy, and Brookstone's website will not be the first one I look at when I begin my search for holiday gifts, etc.

Bad product max 2 cordless - I purchased this product Nov. 2015. It broke in July of 2016. They replaced it with a unit that did not work in August. Then replaced it with another unit in mid August which had a loose button but I fixed it with tape. One month later this unit broke. It overheats when charging, had the loose button and does not turn on now. They wanted to charge me shipping to send it back as if the units being defective was my fault.

It seems like they ship out the broken units as replacements for the broken units as warranty replacements. Very disappointed with customer service. Then a manager with customer service told me this would be the last unit they would send me. I have 9 weeks to go and the last two did not last a month??? So they are ending my one year warranty early with a very defective product. so bad product and worse customer service. I am no longer buying anything made by Brookstone.

First of all, their website is a piece of junk. It barely functions. Any college student can make a better website. When I was placing an order yesterday, I was never given the option of typing in my address. I got the confirmation email as soon as I clicked "use paypal to pay", and the shipping address is wrong! I don't know how my old address automatically popped up on there. I'm sure it's not because I paid with Paypal (Paypal never had my address). Nor it's because I forgot to "update" my address with Brookstone because I never shopped with them before. I guess their website just automatically pulls up the last address that is stored in my web browser.

After I finding the address is wrong, there is option to change the address or cancel the order. I tried to call them immediately but was told their office was closed. I called them again this morning and got "helped" by a sassy lady. She doesn't even talk like a human. To say she is a programmed robot is not overstated at all. She said the item is shipped and all they can do is to "try" to intercept the item and have it shipped to the right address. She said she didn't know when I asked the arriving time. When I asked what's next if they didn't succeed in intercepting the item, she just keep saying "We can try to intercept the item and have it shipped to the right address". What a joke! I give one star only because I'm not allowed to give zero.

I received the mattress pad protector but not power skirt. I have been exchanging email with customer care support people. Each time different one answers my email but they haven't been able to resolve my problem: "Your order shipped from a 3rd party manufacturer. We have reached out to them to get the information needed to have the correct item shipped to you. We have not had a response at this time."

Below is the correspondence that I sent to Brookstone. - Please be advised that this is the last correspondence or occasion that I will patronize your company. I was the contented owner of a grill alert and it is still functioning. Previously I had purchased a probe which after a period of time became defective over a year ago. As the one I have is becoming erratic I ordered the only probes you have available. They do not work correctly, and after contacting customer service another set was sent. These also do not work correctly. I spoke with customer service who was referring this to technical. 4 Days later I called to inquire and discovered that the question to technical was reversed.

Just so we understand, the grill alert unit works perfectly well, it's the probe that causes erratic readings. I was able to secure a refund of $24 for what I had paid for the probes that don't work, and essentially as the unit is out of warranty I should just take a perfectly fine grill alert ($60) and throw it in the garbage. When I had my business and we elected to discontinue a part required, on some level we made an adjustment of some sort to maintain our customers. When you review your stats relative to customer retention, and if the numbers are down, re-read the above. So I will await my credit for product that doesn't work, dispose of a perfectly good grill alert, and shop elsewhere.

On Dec 7 2013 I bought a iConvert Scanner for iPad from Brookstone with a 2 year replacement plan. When we received it it was clear this was for the older generation iPad since it had the old connector The Buffalo store in Walden gallery replaced it with a Brookstone wifi model. I have never had it work 100%. When I mentioned the infrequent performance to Brookstone "support" the blame was placed on the instability of the APP and iOS 8 with the attached. Lately, they have asked me to call the warranty company but I do not have the paperwork of the exchange. It seems that Brookstone products are warrantied to work with a specific app and iOS version and if Apple ver upgrades we are SOL. I would not recommend anyone buys any Brookstone electronics as there is no real support and long term commitment.

Parcel marked as shipped but tracking stated it hadn't gone anywhere for 3 weeks. Chased, got told it would be investigated. Heard nothing, chased again 5 days later, told the same thing. This continued for a further three weeks. At no point was anyone answering emails helpful or apologetic. Thankfully I paid with paypal so was able to claim the money back. Avoid, these people are hopeless.

I bought a new relax massage chair from Brookstone for $3200.00 and within two weeks after I started to use the chair, my ankle was swollen. I went to the emergency room to have it checked out and was told that the chair had damage the ligament in my foot. I contacted Brookstone to have the chair picked up, so set a time to have their company get the chair. Two guys came to my home to get the chair, but I was cooking and could not keep my eyes on them. When it was all done and they left, I noticed that a leather bag with the content was stolen. I filed a police report and I still have not gotten a refund for the chair I returned or my bag returned or paid for.

I can't even describe how frustrated I am with Brookstone. I brought a OSIM uDivine S on September 2015 and just after 2 months, the massage chair had broken down. I have waited more than 6 weeks for the technician to even show up to try repairing it. His excuses was that the parts need to be ordered and that I am not his only customer. However, he couldn't fix it even though he came to my house THREE times trying to have it fixed. Then, I called Brookstone and they finally decided to sent me a new one.

After another 2 more weeks of waiting, the new chair finally delivered to my house. And guess what? It broke down AGAIN with the same issue. I have spent thousands of dollar on this chair and I felt like they were selling a piece of junk to me. I feel like the lifetime of the chair is only less than two months. This experience has been a nightmare to me. I am so sick of it already. They are wasting my time, energy and money! This is just absolutely ridiculous!!! I just can't believe it!!!

First and last time I will order from Brookstone. I ordered two watches to receive free shipping (order had to be over $99) but I planned on wearing one to my sister's engagement. My shipment arrived on time, except it was somebody else's order from New Jersey (I live in Ohio). I called twice within a week and each time they said they had to contact the vendor and they would call me. The third time I called and requested a refund because I didn't want to wait on a vendor who clearly isn't responding. They said they would have to send me a shipping label via email (I don't have a printer at home) and that once they received the other watch, they could give me my refund but it might take 2 days to process.

I just received my shipping label that I will have to print off at work (which is against the rules) and ship out the other ladies order tomorrow. I placed my order on the 6th and it's now the 23rd and I still have another week (if not more at the rate this is going) by the time I get my money back. Needless to say I am very disappointed and wish I would have read other reviews before placing my order. It could have saved me a lot of headaches and I could have ordered a watch from someplace else. Brookstone is a joke.

People with complaints write reviews and I am not exception. I order from the Brookstone website for a specific gift needed a month after I placed the order. It took three weeks for them to ship the product and then it went to the wrong address and returned to the vendor... YES, Brookstone is NOT a vendor, just a drop shipper. The results were disastrous and heartbreaking. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again. You cannot rely on this site.

My wife paid close to $200 for a 'carry on board' suitcase about 3 years ago. The zipper broke last week and upon calling Brookstone, they said warranty is only 1 year long. 1 year warranty on a suitcase sounds rubbish. And in this day and age when so many companies, thankfully, offer better service we definitely won't be buying anything further from Brookstone.

I placed an order online from Brookstone back on 12/11/15. When I received my order confirmation, Brookstone had removed my 15 percent discount and did not give me free shipping as they advertised. I called one hour later to cancel my order. I was assured my order was cancelled. The next day I received an email that said my order had shipped. After numerous phone calls and being on hold with Brookstone for excessive amounts of time, a customer service rep said they accidentally shipped it. I had to get a return label (which took a week). I brought it to UPS and when it finally arrived at Brookstone, on 12/29/15, I called and was told it would take 5 to 7 business days to get a refund. Today is business day number 9. When I called to ask where my refund was, I was told that Brookstone's warehouse was closed last week so that did not count as any business days! What??? Now I am still waiting for my refund.

Product with bad quality - This is the second time in two months I have to go to the store to change the speaker. I was listening music and stopped working. Tomorrow I going to the store again with my receipt to see what they say. I don't want to lose my money.

They said that on the bottom of the receipt that it said that if the package is opened it is non-returnable. Then they told me they would charge a 20% restocking fee. We were livid and eventually they refunded my money because they did not want a scene. I understand why the stores are closing in different areas.

We purchased an electronic football game online at Brookstone. My kids notices the "bases" were missing and the game did not work properly. I revisited the Brookstone website and saw the stands they mentioned clearly in the picture. We looked all over for the parts and were not included in the package. The game cost $130. It said on the website that they want us to be happy customers, that we can return an online item in the store. Some exceptions applied and I read them.

I thought it was an easy return so we made the hour trip to the mall. The lady at Brookstone had to call 800 Brookstone customer service. They would not take the game back! The lady told us to send it to the third party vendor. I was furious. That would be at our expense. I went back in line, waited thirty minutes, and spoke to the manager who told me he called 1 800 customer service. He told me that he will not take the game back and I can take it back to Brookstone online. This was different information than the "third party vendor."

Side note: please never return to a third party vendor. If you worked through a company that sold an item from another vendor always work with the company you have the order number through or you can lose your money. The third party vendor does not have our order number, account information, nor proof of our order. That would have been a huge mistake.

Anyway, the manager told me new information but I wanted them to take it back at the store. No such luck and he was persistent in his final answer refusing to take back the defective game. I called Brookstone online six times. I waited over thirty minutes each time. The last time I got through and the man emailed me a packaging label. Thank God I still had the original box the game came in but it was at the curb for garbage day. The garbage men didn't come. I repackaged the game and sent it. I hope to get a full refund. What a hassle. I hate when online companies don't work with the stores. Poor service.

I ordered blue headphones online and before I even received them I received an email stating they may have sent the wrong color which was unacceptable to me. I called their customer service line and waited on hold for 45 minutes. When I finally spoke to an employee I told them I needed blue headphones not the white ones that were sent. They told me they would fix the problem. I waited a week and nothing came so I called back, waited another 45 minutes and they told me they were sold out of the blue headphones and I asked "Was anybody going to call me and tell me?" They just said "Sorry tough luck" so I asked for the supervisor. She was even worse. She stated they had received a batch of the wrong colored headphones but shipped them anyway to all the various people hoping the consumers would just say ok these work. The supervisor then said, "Tough luck."

These headphones were a Christmas present to my daughter and by the time I figured out nothing was going to happen it was the week before Christmas. Now I still have the wrong headphones and I'm waiting on the shipping label to send them back. It's been two weeks and they won't refund my money until they get the wrong headphones back. Don't ever shop at Brookstone. They are horrible.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! After trying to place my order by phone for over 30 minutes I was advised to place the order online – so I did. Much to my disappointment, after I received an order confirmation and the payment was taken out of my account, the order status cannot be verified a week after placing the order! I was on hold a total of over 1.5 hours and given two promises of a supervisor returning my call to resolve the issue/explain why Brookstone cancelled my order and what they plan to do about it. Four calls later and having missed the window of the order being here in time for Christmas, I am forced to head to the mall...

Brookstone Company Profile