1.22/5
Based on 119 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

153 Brookstone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I bought a bathroom scale some years back when Brookstone had their guaranteed return/refund policy. This is the reason we paid more for this product (Brookstone is always higher on their prices). My scale started messing up... Giving me 3 or 4 different results when I weighed myself so I thought I needed to replace the batteries. When I flipped it over, there was a message saying to return the product to Brookstone. I assumed this was because of their guaranteed replacement policy. I took my scale back to Brookstone and they said that they don't have that policy anymore.

I told her that I bought it during the years of this policy and she said to supply the receipt. I told her that after this amount of time, I did not have the receipt. I said that the model # was on the back along with the return comment and she said that I still needed my receipt. I told her that that was ridiculous and that no one held their receipts that long and she said that would be the only way for them to honor that policy. I suggested that they just look up the model number to verify the timing and she said that they don't do that. My parting comment to her was that I would never spend another penny at Brookstone and she didn't care.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I purchased a drone for my son for Christmas and paid $89.99. I told the sales lady that it was a gift and asked if I could return it if he didn't like it. She said yes and that I would get a full refund. She also offered me some items that qualified for special pricing because of my purchase and I got 3 as gifts ($9.99 each). When I returned the drone, I only got a refund for $69.34 because I had to pay full price for the three other items. This was not explained to me clearly when I made the purchase (the receipt had a discounted return amount for the drone but I didn't pay attention when I bought it. That amount was circled on the receipt when I made the return). I told the manager that I expected a full refund based on my conversation with the salesperson when I bought the item and she said there was nothing she could do. I will never shop at this store again.

Get expert buying tips about Massage Chairs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We purchased a massage chair from Brookstone a few months ago and we definitely regret not reading reviews before buying this big ticket item. After ordering the massage chair from a Brookstone store, we scheduled a delivery with a third party company. We had a clear conversation on the phone and at the end of the conversation, I restated the delivery times to make sure that we were in agreement. On the day of the supposed delivery, the chair never came. We waited past the delivery timeslot and then called the delivery company. They told us that there was no delivery scheduled. We had adjusted our work schedules so that we could accept the delivery and install just to be told that there was nothing scheduled. We then called Brookstone and they told us to reschedule; however we could not come to an agreement with a delivery day because we could not be home at the times that they offered.

We asked if they could accommodate because of their initial failure to schedule a delivery and their answer was basically no. So after all the fiasco, we finally got the chair. Fast forward a couple of months and now the chair makes this loud clicking noise and the body scan does not scan the leg and feet area. We are still under a one year warranty so we called Brookstone and requested that someone come look at the chair. They told us to troubleshoot the chair with their technicians on the phone. We were not near the chair at the time and asked for a technician to just come look at it. We were told that if a technician comes out and solves the problem but it was something they could troubleshoot over the phone, we would have to pay for it, even though we are still on warranty. I would advise for everyone to stay away from these scammers.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I ordered a massage item on November 24, 2017. The goods were supposed to be here in 7 days. I added my full correct address at time of purchase and for some reason they missed my apartment number when doing the delivery. As per FedEx and Brookstone information, Fedex tried to attempt delivery and the address was incorrect with the apartment missing. Therefore, the product was returned to Brookstone. I called the Brookstone customer service and they said that I would have to wait for them to send the product again. They were unwilling to send the product in a faster shipping. I needed the product to give as a gift and now I will not be able to.

First, this wasn't my mistake, since I added the apartment no. at the time of my purchase. Second, the Fedex delivery guy could look at the apartment list with names which is placed on at the front of the building. I am shocked with the lack of professionalism of both institutions. One for not correctly place the apartment number, the other for not trying to look the apartment number or even try another attempt contacting me and asking for my apartment. This was never my error. Brookstone asking me to wait for weeks until I receive my new product is outrageous!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I bought a drone for my son last December, it was not working anymore so I tried to file a claim, what a nightmare! They don't have anymore the drone for sale, it had so many bad reviews, but at the end they told me that they will exchange with a new one. That is really weird if they don't have anymore. The lady told me that she would send me everything, the label and the authorization, but she didn't say that I have to pay for the shipping! I paid $79 and a month ago dropped at $29 with one or two stars review. I guess this is the reason for take the drone out from the market. This protection plan is a joke, when I bought it they told me that if something happen they will send me a gift card, this was not true. Also if you try to write a bad review the system give you an error!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookstone?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Brookstone Rover App is not being updated. I have the older white Rover. I have e-mailed customer service and no timeline information is available on the Brookstone Rover App therefore my Rover is not working due to its dependence on the App.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I felt misled by online Brookstone promotion on Luminara Candles. I bought 2x 7’ inch candle and the promotion was supposed to be buy 2 and get 2x 5” inch 50% price. I’ve placed the order and a couple days later, they informed they no longer had the 5” inch candles in stock. This is very misleading as the initial email informed the order was a back order and that I’d receive the items by the end of Nov/2017. Brookstone did not make it clear they’d no longer carry those items. Then, they sent an e-mail stating items were discontinued.

I felt tricked and taken advantage of because when I called customer service, they informed that according to the company’s policy, Brookstone, have 30 (thirty) days to reimburse my money. In my opinion, this is an awful policy, since Brookstone is not a bank, and they can’t work with customers’ money for 30 days. I believe Brookstone’s competitors would not treat their potential customers like this. Customers BE AWARE of their policy and please exercise the right to say no to this nonsense. As a matter of fact, I’ll never buy from Brookstone ever again!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Brookstone is horrible. We ordered an important item online. They have what I wanted. But after giving them all information including credit card the order never went through. We tried 5 times. Yup they suck.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I had purchased a small table fan from Brookstone. I turned it on after several weeks of not using it (but being plugged in) and when I reached for the switch in the back, my hand was badly burned by the blue and silver casing. There must be something wrong with it to overheat like that when it was not even turned on, but I wanted to let them know they may want to recall those things before they cause someone else harm. I feel fortunate that it was not near enough to my computer or papers on my desk to start a fire. Never heard back from them. Guess they don't care if they burn someone's house down.

Original review: July 5, 2017

We bought a massage chair from Brookstone in June 2017. I used it on June 10th and look what it did to my legs. I'm looking for a law firm that will look into my case. I have plenty of pictures regarding my legs. We called them to pick up the chair even though they did deduct 500 dollars from what we paid. I'm so embarrassed of my legs. I work for at a Courthouse and I HATE when people ask me if I spilled something on my legs. And yes, we did try the massage chair before we bought it. Here we are July 5th 2017 and my legs still have the horrible marks. Shame on Brookstone!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

This seller advertises products it doesn't actually carry, then ships something else. I ordered a ProForm 225CSE Elliptical from them on Amazon (they don't even carry any ProForm CSE models). Instead, they shipped me a 150i. I didn't realize they had shipped me the wrong unit until the Amazon services rep had finished assembling it and I realized it looked nothing like what I had ordered.

Once I realized this, I contacted them. They said it had been discontinued & replaced by the 150i (which was a lie, as both were released the same model year). They made numerous attempts to shirk responsibility for their error/deception. They tried to tell me that Amazon sent them the wrong order information - they recanted when I waived the BS flag. They tried to tell me that it was the manufacturer's fault for not updating their inventory, but I looked at the shipping label and confirmed it didn't ship from the manufacturer, but from a Brookstone subsidiary. They refused to refund my $60 assembly charge as well.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I have purchased two products both over $300. Both have broken, the company has no facilities or stocks any parts to repair anything. It's the law that electronic retailers must have parts in stock for 7 years to repair broken items. The company said over a year it's a DISPOSABLE item. Who wants to pay over 300-400 for a device and throw it out after a year? This company is not acting in good faith and has no concern or responsibility to consumer. Another scam is they are closing stores and claim they have no way to look up the charge card you used to show proof of purchase.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

FedEx shipped to the wrong address, but after I told Brookstone they immediately shipped another ChiliPad to the correct address. I've heard great things about this product, and now have great things to say about Brookstone!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I received a flight force hd video drone for Christmas. Since the proprietary battery last 8 minutes and takes 50 minutes to charge I set out to get more batteries. Brookstone has no information in the packaging, on the website and customer service has no idea if there is a way to order these. I called customer service the first time and was told I would hear from a parts department in a day.

Two days later I called back and was on hold for 30 minutes and they said the parts department would call me (still waiting). Brookstone bothers to put their name all over this product and packaging and then totally drops the ball on service after the sale. I have bought massagers and other items here never more than a couple hundred dollars. I have found that I can get equal or better quality products for less and much better customer service at other places. Really sad that a company can't stand behind the products they sell in a customer service driven environment.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I purchased a wireless headset and some mittens from the Brookstone in the Atlanta Airport Terminal F on before Christmas thinking I would give them as a white elephant present during Christmas. When I got to my destination, I changed my mind and decided on purchasing something else. The two items never left my bag they were purchased in. Since I still had the receipt and the product were not used or opened, I knew that I could return them on my return trip.

When I tried to return the products at the same store I had purchased them, the Asst Manager, Solomon???, laughed at me and said they return personal items and pointed to the back of the receipt. (Deceptive disclosure at best.) I read the details and it said, the store may not return personal items if opened. The gloves still had the plastic connector and USB tag, never worn, and he refused to refund my money. What really got me angry though was when he said no to the wireless headset, which was still in its unopened box. He refused to refund them as well. He did not even look at the box to see that it was not opened just refused to refund my money saying it was a personal item. At this point I had to catch my plane and so I left not happy by not only his demeanor but also his obstinate refusal to even look at the products.

I find this kind of return policy to be extremely deceptive and if the store is going to take this stance they need to highlight/advertise this at the time of purchase, as opposed to pointing to the back of a receipt. This sort of unethical behavior is what gives business a bad name. I understand if the gloves had been worn or even if the tagging had been removed, but in both instances they were not. Thus, not only will I never buy from this store ever again, I am going to make it my mission in life to dissuade as many people as I can from purchasing from this business as well.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2017

I was contacted by Brookstone management who offered to replace the massager at no cost to me. The manager I spoke to apologized for my experience and assured me the person I spoke to with the attitude had been dealt with. She also gave me her email in case I have any issues in the future so I can contact her directly. She ended by assuring me that what happened to me was not how Brookstone does business. Looking forward to receiving my massager, I really did love it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

If you live in Canada I suggest you never do business with the US company Brookstone because if you have a problem with your purchase you are going to get the runaround. I bought a massager for $226. It stopped working, called to arrange a refund, six weeks later nothing. Called in and was told that the refund was coming through Borderfree who handles their Canadian orders apparently. I was told to call Borderfree at a long distance number! I said, "No, you call them and speak to them, I did business with you." After a few minutes listening to customer care robotic babble I asked to speak to a manager who repeated the same babble using slightly better vocabulary. Even though upon purchase I was told if there were any issues with the product I had a year to return it.

I ended the call and minutes later got an email from Borderfree, what a coincidence saying they had refunded me $10.49 from my $226 order. LMAO!! I called back and told a supervisor called Lauren (ex **) rude, arrogant and clearly hired to cover Brookstone's ar**. I told her what I thought of my Brookstone experience then promptly called Paypal who fortunately for me was my method of payment. I opened a dispute to get my money back and filed a complaint against the lying, thieving Brookstone. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Do not order from this company! They ship items from third party and after guaranteeing the item will be delivered in time you find out they are using a third party who hasn't even shipped it out yet a week later! Bad business!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I placed an order a month ago - to receive all but one item as indicated within a couple of weeks. When that item was not received I called Brookstone only to be told to be patient. After calling back 2 times and being told the same thing I can no longer get a hold of anyone. One month later I called four different number - at one point waiting up to 45 minutes for no one to answer. At this point I can not get hold of anyone to get a refund as they found it fitting to charge me for an item I was never going to receive! I will now be disputing it through my credit card to get the money back! BUYER BEWARE - I would never order from Brookstone online!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

First and last time I will ever purchase anything from this company. I ordered a simple little golf putt set for my boss. Engraved with three words. They only put two of the words. Called support, they told me it came from a 3rd party vendor who would call me back that afternoon. Afternoon came and went. I called them around the same time the next day and was told it would be 24-48hrs for them to call me back. NOT what I was told day before, but so be it.

Next day I still don't get a call -- it's now 48hrs -- I call back and am told they have not heard from the vendor yet. SO another day, I finally am told that they can't guarantee I'll have the replacement by holidays. I asked why not, b/c it's over 2 weeks before Christmas and it only took a week for it to get to me originally anyway... besides, being it's their fault, why wouldn't they send it express?? Well turns out the vendor does not allow them to do that! Oh, ok....so that's fine, I expect I should still have time --- well midway thru the call, she tells me, "you know what, I'm seeing now that we are OUT OF STOCK. So we will have to refund you. We'll send you a call tag to return it for refund."

Day goes by, and no call tag. I call. "Yes, sorry, it takes about 24-48hrs to receive the label!" I was furious. But not so much in the lack of communication, but in the fact that I didn't even get one morsel of sympathy or apology from any of the reps I spoke to. JUST ANOTHER DAY, clearly. Fine. So I wait over 48hrs to call back - but before I called them, I noticed they left me a voicemail that they may have some in stock and be able to replace after all. TOO LATE, I've meanwhile already bought another one from Amazon and got it in a day. "NO", I say, "I just want my refund." Eventually, they conclude that they do not want the product back because it is customized, and for me to just take a picture and send it to them, and they'll refund me. I will report back.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

When I placed my order there was no indication that the item was not in stock. On the date it was scheduled to ship - 4 days after order date - I received an email that the item was still on back order. Still? I was never advised that it ever was. The next ship date is 5 weeks later. But when I went on their site to look at the item again it shows a ship date 3 weeks before the date I was given. Apparently they oversell and do not advise the customers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Purchased item online, was not happy with purchase and decided to return to local store. Was told I could NOT return to store because I paid through Paypal, even though that was an option, so now I have to package it up and take to UPS. Will NOT purchase from this store again.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

So I ordered a pocket projector online. They sent it to me which took 2 weeks, then I never got it at my door. The customer rep said "don't worry we will priority mail it to you." Then I never got it the 2nd time. I call back and ask for a shipping, they said it will be there in a week. So I guess 2 day shipping was another mislead, just like their price they quote online. Whatever, I really wanted one so I bought it. Then after waiting another week and not having it come in. The lady has the nerve to tell me to wait another week and if I don't get it, THEN she will refund me. Lol, this company's a joke. The owner of Brookstone needs to re think his hiring process or this company's going to drain real quick.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

It was very misleading of Brookstone to offer 15% off ("no minimum order necessary use promo code: WD5065 at checkout") when a potential customer signs up for their email program. When I tried to apply the 15% offer on an item, it would not accept the discount because my item was "not eligible" for a discount. The customer service representative apologized and said that only certain items are eligible. This is very misleading as the email thanking the customer for signing up with Brookstone does not make this clear. I don't like to be tricked or taken advantage of in this way. Brookstone's competitors would not treat their potential customers like this. They would honor the discount. I am not happy, and Brookstone's website will not be the first one I look at when I begin my search for holiday gifts, etc.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Bad product max 2 cordless - I purchased this product Nov. 2015. It broke in July of 2016. They replaced it with a unit that did not work in August. Then replaced it with another unit in mid August which had a loose button but I fixed it with tape. One month later this unit broke. It overheats when charging, had the loose button and does not turn on now. They wanted to charge me shipping to send it back as if the units being defective was my fault.

It seems like they ship out the broken units as replacements for the broken units as warranty replacements. Very disappointed with customer service. Then a manager with customer service told me this would be the last unit they would send me. I have 9 weeks to go and the last two did not last a month??? So they are ending my one year warranty early with a very defective product. so bad product and worse customer service. I am no longer buying anything made by Brookstone.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

First of all, their website is a piece of junk. It barely functions. Any college student can make a better website. When I was placing an order yesterday, I was never given the option of typing in my address. I got the confirmation email as soon as I clicked "use paypal to pay", and the shipping address is wrong! I don't know how my old address automatically popped up on there. I'm sure it's not because I paid with Paypal (Paypal never had my address). Nor it's because I forgot to "update" my address with Brookstone because I never shopped with them before. I guess their website just automatically pulls up the last address that is stored in my web browser.

After I finding the address is wrong, there is option to change the address or cancel the order. I tried to call them immediately but was told their office was closed. I called them again this morning and got "helped" by a sassy lady. She doesn't even talk like a human. To say she is a programmed robot is not overstated at all. She said the item is shipped and all they can do is to "try" to intercept the item and have it shipped to the right address. She said she didn't know when I asked the arriving time. When I asked what's next if they didn't succeed in intercepting the item, she just keep saying "We can try to intercept the item and have it shipped to the right address". What a joke! I give one star only because I'm not allowed to give zero.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I received the mattress pad protector but not power skirt. I have been exchanging email with customer care support people. Each time different one answers my email but they haven't been able to resolve my problem: "Your order shipped from a 3rd party manufacturer. We have reached out to them to get the information needed to have the correct item shipped to you. We have not had a response at this time."

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

Below is the correspondence that I sent to Brookstone. - Please be advised that this is the last correspondence or occasion that I will patronize your company. I was the contented owner of a grill alert and it is still functioning. Previously I had purchased a probe which after a period of time became defective over a year ago. As the one I have is becoming erratic I ordered the only probes you have available. They do not work correctly, and after contacting customer service another set was sent. These also do not work correctly. I spoke with customer service who was referring this to technical. 4 Days later I called to inquire and discovered that the question to technical was reversed.

Just so we understand, the grill alert unit works perfectly well, it's the probe that causes erratic readings. I was able to secure a refund of $24 for what I had paid for the probes that don't work, and essentially as the unit is out of warranty I should just take a perfectly fine grill alert ($60) and throw it in the garbage. When I had my business and we elected to discontinue a part required, on some level we made an adjustment of some sort to maintain our customers. When you review your stats relative to customer retention, and if the numbers are down, re-read the above. So I will await my credit for product that doesn't work, dispose of a perfectly good grill alert, and shop elsewhere.

Original review: July 17, 2016

On Dec 7 2013 I bought a iConvert Scanner for iPad from Brookstone with a 2 year replacement plan. When we received it it was clear this was for the older generation iPad since it had the old connector The Buffalo store in Walden gallery replaced it with a Brookstone wifi model. I have never had it work 100%. When I mentioned the infrequent performance to Brookstone "support" the blame was placed on the instability of the APP and iOS 8 with the attached. Lately, they have asked me to call the warranty company but I do not have the paperwork of the exchange. It seems that Brookstone products are warrantied to work with a specific app and iOS version and if Apple ver upgrades we are SOL. I would not recommend anyone buys any Brookstone electronics as there is no real support and long term commitment.

Original review: July 6, 2016

Parcel marked as shipped but tracking stated it hadn't gone anywhere for 3 weeks. Chased, got told it would be investigated. Heard nothing, chased again 5 days later, told the same thing. This continued for a further three weeks. At no point was anyone answering emails helpful or apologetic. Thankfully I paid with paypal so was able to claim the money back. Avoid, these people are hopeless.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I bought a new relax massage chair from Brookstone for $3200.00 and within two weeks after I started to use the chair, my ankle was swollen. I went to the emergency room to have it checked out and was told that the chair had damage the ligament in my foot. I contacted Brookstone to have the chair picked up, so set a time to have their company get the chair. Two guys came to my home to get the chair, but I was cooking and could not keep my eyes on them. When it was all done and they left, I noticed that a leather bag with the content was stolen. I filed a police report and I still have not gotten a refund for the chair I returned or my bag returned or paid for.

Brookstone expert review by Jonathan Trout

Brookstone is an American and Chinese retailer that sells gadgets and lifestyle products like massage chairs. It lists 13 different massage chair models available for purchase online. Each model comes with different features like leg and feet massagers and zero-gravity massage. They range in price from $900 to around $9,000.

• Rock & Recline Massage Chair: The Rock & Recline Massage Chair features what Brookstone calls a deep-kneading Shiatsu massage. The massage includes tapping and rolling massage, as well as lumbar heating. The chair rocks and reclines to help minimize and alleviate back pain. It also features a massage that travels down your back and under your glutes. The Rock & Recline Massage Chair costs $899.

• Renew Zero-Gravity Massage Chair: The Renew Zero-Gravity Massage Chair features five massage techniques, eight massage programs and pressure point detection. It comes with optional lumbar heating and includes a massage that travels down your back and under your glutes. The zero-gravity positioning relieves pressure on your spine. The Renew Zero-Gravity costs $3,499.

• Inada Dreamwave Massage Chair: This chair is a full-body massager that’s made with synthetic leather and features an undulating or wave-like rolling massage. The Inada Dreamwave has 1,000 possible manual massage combinations. It retails for $9,000.

• Infinity IT 8500 X3 3D Massage Chair: This chair features an MP3 USB port, built in speakers and a touch key controller. Massage options include kneading, tapping, Shiatsu, knocking and synchronic. Synchronic means the massage rollers will massage you to the beat of the music you’re playing. You’ll experience a full body massage with arm, back, seat, leg, feet and shoulder pressure points. The Infinity IT 8500 costs $5,495.

• Luraco iRobotics i7 Zero-Gravity Massage Chair: This chair won Best of Show in Health and Wellness at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). It comes with nine pre-programmed massage choices, smart touchscreen remote and human voice response in multiple languages. It also features an MP3 music system and allows up to five people to customize and store their personal massage settings. The Luraco iRobotics i7 costs $8,490.

• Best for: people who want zero-gravity, full body massage options in their massage chair.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout