3.90/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Birchbox

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: March 17, 2017

21 Birchbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: March 17, 2017

I subscribed to Birchbox for about 6 months. However, the color selection was bad for my coloration. Some of the products I never used and the variety was limited. I received like 7-10 Parlor samples. I would have preferred more variety. I even received the exact same blush-bronzer combo for two months straight and it was still horrible on me. I liked the boxes though and I enjoyed the anticipation.

Original review: March 14, 2017

The box had everything I needed in it. It was full of nice and great products. It came when they said it would and with a list of very helpful items for me to use. Personalizing the box was also fun. There were so many items to choose from and everything I chose came. They had several items I had never heard of that were great. The free shipping and delivery was great, too. The box was not damaged at all. It was well packed and came in a very nice gift box. It had a clear label on it that was easy to read. Also, the quality of the samples was nice and the box had very modern items in it. The products worked very well and I was very happy when I received it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 12, 2017

It was a great box - liquid makeup, blush, nail polish - just that I missed understood what I was signing up for and that it was a monthly item. The samples were full size items which is very nice. The first box was free shipping. Then I believe I would have been charge 7 or 8 dollars for shipments going forward! Items were not always for my coloring or age but it is fun to try out new items. But they have great colours on many items like the hair coloring that I got. I would use the brands in the right tones and colors for me. Best words of advice select colors you use and you will be happy.

Original review: March 7, 2017

I was happy with the value of Birchbox. The products I received was as expected and the shipping was fast and fair priced. The package arrived in one piece and good shape. It included useful fun up to date new products at a reasonable price. I absolutely loved the samples I got in the package. Very good quality name brand products and I used everything I received. When personalizing the samples I was very pleased with the options I was given. Everything I wanted from the samples is what was included. My experience was great and I would recommend using the service. I will order again.

Original review: March 5, 2017

Birchbox was very high quality stuff. I never had makeup that was good on my face for multiple hours and it had gorgeous colors as well. The packaging was professional and looked so appealing. The cost was also good for the quality of the product. It got to me at the estimated time and it was just exciting to get in the mail. The sample quality was good, but I would have liked a better variety of things to try. There was only a couple of things. However, I love that you can personalize your sample box. It makes it so customized and more exciting for me. It fits who I am and makes it so much easier to use. It makes me love the brand more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?

Original review: March 4, 2017

The shipping, delivery, packing was all fine and there were no problems. The box arrived when they said and very timely. It was packed very well with no damage but does not fit in my mailbox. However, there is no value at all and the samples are not quality. I filled out the forms detailing my likes wants and coloring but not one item fit my list. No attention is paid to the personalization and it looks like they throw anything in the box. Most of it was junk, not quality and not tailored to my needs or coloring. I also cannot even give it to a friend as it would be so embarrassing. There was absolutely nothing I would ever buy.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I really liked the selection and the quality of items that I got in my order. I loved to try all of the products and I looked forward to getting them every month. The shipping was always on time every month, too.

Original review: March 2, 2017

The shipping was free and everything cost $20. It took about a week for me to receive my Birchbox and I couldn't be any more happier. The packaging was good and everything was neat and tidy. The value of the box was great. It cost $20, the shipping was free and it came with an assortment of a lot of wonderful items. It had lotions and lipsticks and many different other things. The quality of the product was phenomenal too. Very happy about the purchase and I'd give it 5 stars. Everything was in great condition and all together and organized. It was also a lot of fun sampling everything that was in the box. With the great price and quality of everything it was definitely good and nice.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I received the products within a week and had never had any issues whatsoever, I like the shipping arrangement that they do and use. The box is a good value with all the things that come inside it. The samples were also good quality products for the price that I pay for them. Also, I like the questions it asks about myself to personalize my orders and the things they decide to ship out to me. I love all the things I have received a lot and I will never complain because I know I will get good things. I will buy Birchbox again especially if the price stays the same.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

The value of the box was not worth what I was paying for. If I remember right I was paying $15.00 a month. Some of the items would only last one time of using. Most of the samples were nice but I had received some powder samples that were not solid in their containers and some of the colors for my shades did not match my skin. There were also an awful lot of eye pencils in all of my orders. I did like some of the lipsticks and fingernail polish. The shipping price was $15.00 all together, which was a good thing. The box would get here on time and delivered in good shape.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

It was so easy to order and I thought that was great. It did not take long for the shipping. I got it on time and was super fast and easy. I love the overall value and quality of the products. It's amazing. I didn't think it would be that great but it has the best stuff I have ever bought. I can't wait to order some more. I'm tickled pink.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

A few friends of mine and I all ordered boxes on the same day. Theirs came, but my box never came. I gave it a few days and checked my shipping status. Still said it'd be shipping soon. The day came where I needed to cancel if I didn't want anymore boxes, so I cancelled because I'd not received my box and didn't know if I'd like it. I ended up contacting customer service and they sent a box out but it was a huge hassle and I never got to personalize my box. I didn't expect a ton of full size products for the price but I certainly didn't expect a very small box with like 4 sample sized products for the price. The products were great but they were SAMPLES. It was a tad ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Was a better value when I earned points for reviewing each sample, but still loved getting to try products I otherwise couldn't afford. Shipping is a little slow and I once received a shattered eyeshadow - customer service promptly replaced it though. They could ship monthly boxes a little bit faster. Sometimes I got an email telling me I received my latest box but it didn't arrive until days later. Samples can be repetitive which I hate, like lots of dry shampoo. Otherwise I enjoyed the skincare and lip cosmetics. I was introduced to new brands as well as mid and high end ranged products. Boxes don't always reflect your personal profile and will include products that you have stated you prefer not to receive which is frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Shipping and delivery were perfect. After the order was placed communication was very prompt. I felt the quality was pretty good. Nice to be able to receive a nice variety of product that were unique to me. It was easy to personalize, request and receive samples that would provide me with products that would be useful to me on a daily basis. It was fun to see what was in the box. It seems like the price paid was a bit higher than it should have been. I did enjoy the variety of products but would hesitate continue to receive the boxes based on price.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Great quality and service, and the value of the box is well worth the money. The shipping was fast and delivery was on time with no issues. The cost was reasonable and everything was packaged and secure as it should be. It was very good. I'm very pleased with my purchase. It was very easy to personalize my sample box to the products that I was most interested in. Excellent quality of samples were in my box and there was a very nice selection. Would highly recommend to anyone that is looking for great quality products.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Birchbox contains excellent items, and their different themes are so delightful. They always have a unique box with the items being of greater value than the $10 fee you pay. The items are of fine quality, with enjoyable scents and results. You can get items you enjoy but they are often the most mediocre objects, but for the price it is overall as decent as it will probably end up being. The delivery is quite fast and you don't see your goods lost in the mail. Its price is quite a fine rate and it is well packaged and arrives in pristine condition.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Came with useful items that exceed the price that the box cost and all items were of value to me. Fun experience opening it and being surprised. The speed of which it was delivered was pretty fast. Got it within a couple days, way better than some other deliveries. Package came in secured packaging so no risk of damage. Samples were a little subpar and didn't have much of a variety. Could have added in so new and different kinds to add a little spice to the mix. Was able to personalize it to fit my needs better and get cooler items that I have a better chance of wanting and not just stuff I may never use and taking up precious box space.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

All I can say is very amazing product and affordable. This brand what I trust and their service is excellent to the customer like me. The shipping delivery is fast, and can save you time and effort. The sample quality is very amazing that satisfy the needs of all customer. It's very cool. I will recommend this to all my love ones and friends all over the world that really fits them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I was very happy with the shipping. They gave me a few days of which it would arrive and it did. Also there were a lot of reviews about received items that were broken but my box was just fine. The sample quality was good but of course the sizes of the samples could have been a lot bigger. But for the price you pay it not bad at all. Just make sure you do your profile that was you get samples you will use. I had gave them personal information about me that would help with the sample selections but everything that I received was stuff I would not use personally so I gave mine away to family. I still got five sample size so was good deal if it were stuff I used. Other than that it would have been a good deal. I decided to cancel after that because they wouldn't change the next months.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I highly admire and am very pleased with this helpful and convenient subscription. It is simple and easy to get exactly what I'm looking for. Delivery is fairly priced, very accurate, and they are always helpful. I really have to emphasize my recommendations on this company's personalized options. Overall quality of service is extremely high as well as its products and services.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I like trying out new makeup brands. I liked the personalization option because I got to choose what I wanted. It was good because later on when I order again, I can choose what to buy for gifts. I liked the buying process and picking it out. The value of the beauty box is high quality and Birchbox put the essentials in it. The sample quality was fair. I liked the selection and I like putting it on. It was great quality for the price. The shipping and delivery was quick and got here on the day I was expecting the beauty box. I will use the shipping method next time I order from them.

Birchbox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Birchbox launched in 2010 and is headquartered in New York City. The company now operates in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Belgium and has subscription boxes designed for both women and men. Customers subscribe to receive one box of five sample-size products each month.

• Customized: When customers sign up for Birchbox, they create a profile detailing their skin and hair types as well as their personal style and beauty habits. Birchbox customizes the samples in their monthly subscription box to fit this profile.
    • Store: Consumers can shop for Birchbox subscribers’ favorite beauty products on the company’s website. They can read product reviews online, and they don’t need to be a subscriber to order a product. Shoppers can refine their search to eliminate products they’re not interested in, including those that contain certain ingredient or are tested on animals.
    • Simple Choice: Birchbox’s Simple Choice program lets customers pick one of the samples they receive each. Alternatively, they can select a curated box with a set of featured samples. If consumers don’t want to log in and choose a sample or box each month, they will automatically receive samples based on their Birchbox profile.
    • Blog and social media: Interested consumers can follow Birchbox’s blog to learn makeup and skin care tips and read about new products. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr.
    • Gift: Birchbox makes it easy to give a subscription as a gift. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six or 12 months. Consumers can also select a gift card for a three- or six-month subscription, so the recipient chooses when to have her or his first box delivered. Gift subscriptions can be placed up to three months in advance of the delivery date.
    • Best for: Birchbox is available for women and men and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers, budget-conscious consumers and gift givers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs