Birchbox

Compare Beauty Box Companies

Research top Beauty Box Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The value of the box was not worth what I was paying for. If I remember right I was paying $15.00 a month. Some of the items would only last one time of using. Most of the samples were nice but I had received some powder samples that were not solid in their containers and some of the colors for my shades did not match my skin. There were also an awful lot of eye pencils in all of my orders. I did like some of the lipsticks and fingernail polish. The shipping price was $15.00 all together, which was a good thing. The box would get here on time and delivered in good shape.

It was so easy to order and I thought that was great. It did not take long for the shipping. I got it on time and was super fast and easy. I love the overall value and quality of the products. It's amazing. I didn't think it would be that great but it has the best stuff I have ever bought. I can't wait to order some more. I'm tickled pink.

A few friends of mine and I all ordered boxes on the same day. Theirs came, but my box never came. I gave it a few days and checked my shipping status. Still said it'd be shipping soon. The day came where I needed to cancel if I didn't want anymore boxes, so I cancelled because I'd not received my box and didn't know if I'd like it. I ended up contacting customer service and they sent a box out but it was a huge hassle and I never got to personalize my box. I didn't expect a ton of full size products for the price but I certainly didn't expect a very small box with like 4 sample sized products for the price. The products were great but they were SAMPLES. It was a tad ridiculous.

Was a better value when I earned points for reviewing each sample, but still loved getting to try products I otherwise couldn't afford. Shipping is a little slow and I once received a shattered eyeshadow - customer service promptly replaced it though. They could ship monthly boxes a little bit faster. Sometimes I got an email telling me I received my latest box but it didn't arrive until days later. Samples can be repetitive which I hate, like lots of dry shampoo. Otherwise I enjoyed the skincare and lip cosmetics. I was introduced to new brands as well as mid and high end ranged products. Boxes don't always reflect your personal profile and will include products that you have stated you prefer not to receive which is frustrating.

Shipping and delivery were perfect. After the order was placed communication was very prompt. I felt the quality was pretty good. Nice to be able to receive a nice variety of product that were unique to me. It was easy to personalize, request and receive samples that would provide me with products that would be useful to me on a daily basis. It was fun to see what was in the box. It seems like the price paid was a bit higher than it should have been. I did enjoy the variety of products but would hesitate continue to receive the boxes based on price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?

Great quality and service, and the value of the box is well worth the money. The shipping was fast and delivery was on time with no issues. The cost was reasonable and everything was packaged and secure as it should be. It was very good. I'm very pleased with my purchase. It was very easy to personalize my sample box to the products that I was most interested in. Excellent quality of samples were in my box and there was a very nice selection. Would highly recommend to anyone that is looking for great quality products.

Birchbox contains excellent items, and their different themes are so delightful. They always have a unique box with the items being of greater value than the $10 fee you pay. The items are of fine quality, with enjoyable scents and results. You can get items you enjoy but they are often the most mediocre objects, but for the price it is overall as decent as it will probably end up being. The delivery is quite fast and you don't see your goods lost in the mail. Its price is quite a fine rate and it is well packaged and arrives in pristine condition.

Came with useful items that exceed the price that the box cost and all items were of value to me. Fun experience opening it and being surprised. The speed of which it was delivered was pretty fast. Got it within a couple days, way better than some other deliveries. Package came in secured packaging so no risk of damage. Samples were a little subpar and didn't have much of a variety. Could have added in so new and different kinds to add a little spice to the mix. Was able to personalize it to fit my needs better and get cooler items that I have a better chance of wanting and not just stuff I may never use and taking up precious box space.

All I can say is very amazing product and affordable. This brand what I trust and their service is excellent to the customer like me. The shipping delivery is fast, and can save you time and effort. The sample quality is very amazing that satisfy the needs of all customer. It's very cool. I will recommend this to all my love ones and friends all over the world that really fits them.

I was very happy with the shipping. They gave me a few days of which it would arrive and it did. Also there were a lot of reviews about received items that were broken but my box was just fine. The sample quality was good but of course the sizes of the samples could have been a lot bigger. But for the price you pay it not bad at all. Just make sure you do your profile that was you get samples you will use. I had gave them personal information about me that would help with the sample selections but everything that I received was stuff I would not use personally so I gave mine away to family. I still got five sample size so was good deal if it were stuff I used. Other than that it would have been a good deal. I decided to cancel after that because they wouldn't change the next months.

I highly admire and am very pleased with this helpful and convenient subscription. It is simple and easy to get exactly what I'm looking for. Delivery is fairly priced, very accurate, and they are always helpful. I really have to emphasize my recommendations on this company's personalized options. Overall quality of service is extremely high as well as its products and services.

I like trying out new makeup brands. I liked the personalization option because I got to choose what I wanted. It was good because later on when I order again, I can choose what to buy for gifts. I liked the buying process and picking it out. The value of the beauty box is high quality and Birchbox put the essentials in it. The sample quality was fair. I liked the selection and I like putting it on. It was great quality for the price. The shipping and delivery was quick and got here on the day I was expecting the beauty box. I will use the shipping method next time I order from them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Birchbox launched in 2010 and is headquartered in New York City. The company now operates in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Belgium and has subscription boxes designed for both women and men. Customers subscribe to receive one box of five sample-size products each month.

• Customized: When customers sign up for Birchbox, they create a profile detailing their skin and hair types as well as their personal style and beauty habits. Birchbox customizes the samples in their monthly subscription box to fit this profile.
  • Store: Consumers can shop for Birchbox subscribers’ favorite beauty products on the company’s website. They can read product reviews online, and they don’t need to be a subscriber to order a product. Shoppers can refine their search to eliminate products they’re not interested in, including those that contain certain ingredient or are tested on animals.
  • Simple Choice: Birchbox’s Simple Choice program lets customers pick one of the samples they receive each. Alternatively, they can select a curated box with a set of featured samples. If consumers don’t want to log in and choose a sample or box each month, they will automatically receive samples based on their Birchbox profile.
  • Blog and social media: Interested consumers can follow Birchbox’s blog to learn makeup and skin care tips and read about new products. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr.
  • Gift: Birchbox makes it easy to give a subscription as a gift. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six or 12 months. Consumers can also select a gift card for a three- or six-month subscription, so the recipient chooses when to have her or his first box delivered. Gift subscriptions can be placed up to three months in advance of the delivery date.
  • Best for Birchbox is available for women and men and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers, budget-conscious consumers and gift givers.

Compare Beauty Box