3.8/5 (214 ratings)

About Birchbox

Birchbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I love receiving beauty boxes each month. I get a chance to sample new products for little money. I subscribed to Birchbox in 2015 and they were great. Now, they send sample sizes (small) and all from the same companies. I agreed to their yearly fees and now I regret signing up with them. Don't bother. IPSY, Allure, and many others are great.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

I was totally misled by this company thinking that by buying a subscription box, the actual box will be shipped as a gift to the recipient. Instead, they sent you a PDF coupon, that you have to print, buy a box, and sending by yourself to the recipient. Moreover, after two days trying to reach out to them, they tell you that they don't take cancellations or refunds!. Furthermore, the products seems very cheap and what is worst, they will keep bothering your gift recipient trying to make him/her to pay for a subscription. Stay away from this company!

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I got Birchbox about a year ago and I really liked it but the last few months boxes and products are repeating and I mean with no time in between. I then read the recent reviews on here and realized that I may not be able to get out of this. I’m really disappointed because it was kind of one thing I look forward to in a month. Also it gave an explanation for the repeat of items which was as follows (my thoughts in parentheses). It said: Box look familiar? (Yes…) Rest assured your samples are freshly picked for you. (As in the same samples I had last month or the month before?) We’re celebrating fab designs (we are repeating our box designs but you should be grateful because they’re so awesome) while reducing our footprint (They don’t say what footprint, but I think it’s implied though not said). Enjoy! I found this shady and manipulative implying the bad service shouldn’t matter to us because it’s in the name of saving the environment.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Signed up for a three month subscription. For the third month which was November, I received a box that said “Summer is here!”. Contact the company to complain but did not get a response. Now trying to cancel my subscription.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Do not get. I repeat do not get. They screw you over. Got the year subscription. Tried canceling. Wouldn't let me then opt out so it wouldn't renew. They renewed it anyways then now telling me I never tried contacting them after they tried helping. Even after showing them proof they said it was an error. Worst box ever.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Like many, I was an idiot and signed up for a year. My first box stunned me. It was so incredibly bad. I called the CO and all they would do is turnoff the automatic sign up acting like it was a big deal. Found out later you can do it yourself. These people are disgusting and the fact it's female owned makes it so much worse. Allure gives you full size at way less cost. These people should be taken out of business.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I decided to try Birchbox and bought a whole year's subscription and thought that was that. They charged my credit card a whole year again and there's no way to cancel. I can only cancel 3 months before they charge me again. I emailed and nobody returns my requests. They sneak in very small terms buried in legal terms I don't understand and wasn't trained to read and then ignore your only way to contact. The samples started out ok but gradually got horrible. I asked for makeup samples and get nothing but lip stain and masks. So disappointed this is a female owned company. Even worse somehow.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I wanted to cancel this after 3 months but I had signed up for a year and it came with a free box. The right thing to do was to charge me for the extra box and cancel the subscription. The point of a subscription is not to force customers to keep taking your products if they don't want them. The point is to increase the likelihood that they will prefer the convenience and leave the subscription on. Anyway I kept the subscription for the rest of the year. Then I expected it to stop. It didn't. And yes, I saw the auto renew button and switched it off.

ME: Why is this subscription still going after 12 months and why does it say only 2 boxes have shipped out of 12? I did not re-subscribe. No one asked me. It looks like someone signed me up for another year but I did not authorize that. BIRCHBOX: All of our subscriptions do auto-renew unless you choose to opt out of this feature. We provide the auto-renewal information during checkout, in our confirmation email, and in our terms and conditions. Additionally, we sent a reminder email in May to give you the option to choose to opt-out and instructions on how to do so. Once the subscription renews you are committed to the full term length of the subscription. Your account shows 2 out of 12 boxes because your subscription was renewed on June 1st and you have 10 more months remaining.

Original review: July 11, 2021

The first box was filled with about 10 great items that I could use based on my preferences... The 2nd box contained only FOUR items, 3 that were not at ALL on my preference list and went in the garbage... This company is a FAKE and only uses the first box to reel you in for that 1-year subscription. Total FRAUD. NOTHING in that second box was to my preference at all.

Original review: June 12, 2021

It was very streamlined and easy to sign up for a subscription and when I saw an option to get six months' worth I thought that would be a great idea because then I would just get six months and be done or I could renew it if I wanted. Oh how I was wrong. The six month subscription auto renews. They don't send an email or anything. Just does it and even if you time everything just right good luck actually canceling on time. They don't let you cancel the subscription once it has started so now I'm locked into paying for six months of boxes. And that streamlined process for some reason does not exist on the unsubscribing side. I somewhat expected that but not to this degree.

They claim you can cancel on the website or just email that and they will do it but they will look for every little thing to make it take long enough to where you are locked into another subscription. They don't have to reply to your email for 48 hours but of course you also cannot just say you want it canceled. They need to know more until your signed up for a new one and they cannot cancel it because of that contract you signed. I am absolute infuriated with this company and I am not sure what to do other than start emailing them a month or two in advance next time. If you want beauty products just buy them. Don't get tied up in a contract for them. The samples they send you are so small anyway. You don't end up saving that much money.

Birchbox author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Birchbox launched in 2010 and is headquartered in New York City. The company now operates in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Belgium and has subscription boxes designed for both women and men. Customers subscribe to receive one box of five sample-size products each month.

• Customized: When customers sign up for Birchbox, they create a profile detailing their skin and hair types as well as their personal style and beauty habits. Birchbox customizes the samples in their monthly subscription box to fit this profile.

• Store: Consumers can shop for Birchbox subscribers’ favorite beauty products on the company’s website. They can read product reviews online, and they don’t need to be a subscriber to order a product. Shoppers can refine their search to eliminate products they’re not interested in, including those that contain certain ingredient or are tested on animals.

• Simple Choice: Birchbox’s Simple Choice program lets customers pick one of the samples they receive each. Alternatively, they can select a curated box with a set of featured samples. If consumers don’t want to log in and choose a sample or box each month, they will automatically receive samples based on their Birchbox profile.

• Blog and social media: Interested consumers can follow Birchbox’s blog to learn makeup and skin care tips and read about new products. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr.

• Gift: Birchbox makes it easy to give a subscription as a gift. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six or 12 months. Consumers can also select a gift card for a three- or six-month subscription, so the recipient chooses when to have her or his first box delivered. Gift subscriptions can be placed up to three months in advance of the delivery date.

Birchbox Company Information