2.89/5
Based on 36 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

36 Birchbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This company is shady and disorganized. Some samples are good and some are cheap, and I’m usually bored with what they send me. I also do Ipsy and Sephora play, Sephora being the best of the 3. Why I will never subscribe to Birchbox again: It took 4 months and 3 emails to finally get a refund on some makeup I returned via mail! I think they were hoping I’d forget and they’d get to keep my money. They falsely advertised what colors come in their LOC liquid eyeshadows (this brand is a Birchbox brand), replacing the purple with the most pale color (I bought it because I wanted to try the purple). Very disappointing.

They do not have a phone number to call, and emailing them takes a long time to hear a response. Their promotions (get a whole year for $x) wasn’t actually made available for several month after their email. I contacted them to ask and never heard back. Apparently my loyalty points expired earlier than their email said they would, but hey you can’t contact them right away so I guess you just don’t get them. I tried to delete my credit card and it’s not straightforward... They make you enter a new one before deleting the old. I don’t want them to renew another year of subscriptions so now I have to hope somebody actually contacts me. What a headache. This company needs to get itself together. If they fixed those dishonest things, it would be a better experience.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have many complaints after my subscription with Birchbox. Let me lay it out for you... (forewarning, this is not an advertisement for Ipsy, but if you're looking for something similar to Birchbox that isn't a ripoff, I do suggest Ipsy instead). The products are a total rip off. I have subscribed to both Ipsy and Birchbox over the past year. Ipsy costs $10 a month, they send 5 good quality products in a cute, reusable cosmetic bag. Every month I get full size make-up products from Ipsy, and they let you personalize what types of products you would like. It's a great deal! So then I hear of Birchbox and think I'll give them a shot. They cost a little more than Ipsy, unless you purchase 12 months' worth at once. So thinking I would receive a similar value to Ipsy, I buy the 12 months.

However, I make sure upon checking out that I am not purchasing an auto-renewing membership. I'm purchasing 12 boxes. Done. Boxes start to arrive. Total crap. I'm talking samples that they give out for FREE through the mail or in stores. There are no full-size products at all. And few of them are even make-up. Most of them are one-time-use products. It's crap. Auto-renewed without consent. I had emailed Birchbox early in the year to make sure I would not be charged for renewal. Never heard back. (You can't call, but I'll get to that next.) I assume I'm all good until a charge of $110 shows up on my credit statement.

They are impossible to contact. Cancelling or getting a refund is more difficult than getting a direct call to the President. THERE IS NO WAY TO TALK TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE. I search all over their website and the internet for a phone number to Customer Service. It doesn't exist. I send another message through the website stating that I want to cancel and never authorized an auto-renewal. They say they will get back within 48 hours. They don't. I finally log in to my credit card account and go to the Birchbox transaction, and there is finally a phone number listed. I call and get a recording that in order to speak to someone I must go to the Birchbox website and request for someone to call me back.

This is INTENTIONAL, to make it as difficult as possible to cancel so they can steal your money. They conveniently got back to me days later, AFTER they processed that month's box so that they could say they can't refund that one. But luckily, my credit card company was much easier to work with and I had already disputed the charges and was told that the charge would be credited back to me. BUYER BEWARE! SKETCHY COMPANY THAT TAKES ADVANTAGE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Signed up in November 2018 for my first Birchbox subscription. They charged me for November. I never received a Nov box. Received an email saying they ran out and next bill is on them. Dec they tried charging me but it didn’t go through. Now they say they won’t send me anything until I pay for December. But, they still owe me for November!! Their customer service said I have to pay for December, then I’ll get January 2019 free and billing resumed in February. What about what you owe me for November? January isn’t free... because you still owe me for November’s box. They couldn’t understand. They took my money and held my next box hostage... wanting 2 paid boxes before sending one?!!! Nahhh. Bad first impression.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I ordered my very first Birchbox on the November 1st and still waiting for it. However, they've already charged me so I basically paid for nothing. Their customer service is one big horrible experience - their response is super slow and you get several automatic e-mails before someone actually addresses your issue. It's too big hustle to get just a small box of few goodies. Not worth it. I hope I'll somehow manage to get my box I paid for. However, I'll never subscribe ever again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Signed up for a six-month trial of Birchbox Men. Was particularly careful to ensure that it would not renew because I have been burned before. Well, it did and, working four jobs, I was too busy to notice right away. They refuse to credit me for a box I returned. Please, beware of Birchbox FRAUD. Never bought full-size products from the boxes (their prices are outrageous) and would never buy anything from them now because of their fraudulent practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I’m trying to get a tracking number from them because my box was misdelivered. Everything is by email. All the return emails say they are working on it. Contacting them is no easy thing. Resolving a problem is like pulling teeth. I may have to do a credit card dispute with them. I think it’s awful when all the response you can get is emails that don’t address the situation and do nothing.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Decided to check out Birchbox, as I do not have time to shop and thought it would be a good way to check out products conveniently. The first two boxes did not contain anything that I could use; gave them to my son's girlfriend. So I have decided to cancel, but that is no easy feat with this company. They do not have a customer service number and do not have a live chat function on their website. I had to Google how to cancel, but the instructions are inaccurate. This is a scam company that does not care about customer satisfaction or concerns, and they make it very difficult to communicate with them. I will go back to shopping on Amazon, thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have received Birchbox for a year now and have cancelled, Not only do I get the same things every month, they are half size samples, meaning they are half full and this month I received a MAC mascara that was totally dried out and unusable. I like IPSY MUCH better!!! Done with Birchbox...

Original review: April 28, 2018

Why ask for your coloring types and what types of products. You're either interested in or not and put in. Stuff not close to what I've indicated? 1 product I WAS really interested in never showed and they claimed to have run out. Received extra points of no use to me since that was the product I wanted. Won't renew...

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am a Birchbox woman subscriber, and I got an email promotion stating “just for you” “upgrade to $80 annual subscription”. Pictures of pink and floral boxes adorned the ad. Upon inquiry, I was told that this is for Birchbox man, which I am not a subscriber. Just cheap and shady “bait and switch” marketing. I wish I can post a photo of the ad for everyone to see.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Ordered Birchbox both for myself and gifted to my 2 daughters. All 3 of us are very disappointed in the tiny samples that are sent as well as the quality of samples. I canceled my subscription and tried to delete my credit card on file but Birchbox will not allow me to delete the card information. If I am no longer a subscriber and will no longer be charged for the product why should I not be allowed to delete my personal credit card information off of the account! I feel this is a violation of trust with Birchbox. A company should not be allowed to store personal credit card numbers after an account is canceled. I will continue to attempt to have this rectified with Birchbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My husband gifted me BB twice. Both times for Christmas. I was thrilled the first year although none of the items were much to be impressed about. I didn’t think a whole lot about it. It was only a 3 mth subscription. I never reordered any of the items as they were not super special & were VERY expensive when checking on full size. Well, he gifted me another this past Christmas & I have to say I am even more disappointed & completely speechless at the sizes & items they send!

There was one item in my box for Feb that got my attention, a mascara, but when I checked on ordering a full size of it I was in shock! It was $24! I checked to see if the item was available elsewhere & it is, for 1/2 the price AND for a size 4 times bigger! Imagine that??? As a matter of fact, the item is available all over the place at the same LOW price of $12! So I compared more of BB’s products & they are absolutely price gouging??? Never, ever will I recommend them & will be glad when my subscription is OVER with them!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Ignored my winning contest ticket for free year subscription. Back in December I bought a box of Balanced Bars promoting a contest for free year Birchbox subscription. When I entered code into website it was invalid although it was before the Dec 31 2017 deadline. I spoke to Christy who sent me to another staff member who said the "sweeps" Dept will handle it. Here it is Feb and Sweeps Dept has not contacted me once. However I get email updates constantly. Somehow a contest is beyond their scope. Also contacted Balance Bars by mail. No reply. This is false advertising.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have gotten IPSY for over a year when I was gifted a Birchbox subscription. I was going to cancel my IPSY subscription to try Birchbox. Glad I didn't. I am very disappointed. The items are never full size. I've even received a few that barely had any product in them at all. It's a really good size box and when you open it, the contents inside are very disappointing. There is plenty of room for other things. I have gotten mostly lotions and hair products. Some good, some fair. The prices on the items are outrageous. I know they are high value, but I'm sure Birchbox gets them free from the makers of the product, so sample sizes just don't cut it. IPSY gives you full size products or at least a big enough sample to try for more than a day or two. This is my second box, and I only received one makeup product. A brow pencil that was the wrong color for me. I will not be renewing this when the subscription is done.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My November box was the worse! I got 2 wipes? I feel that is not enough to even tell if I’m going to like them?! I also received a one time use shampoo and conditioner? And a blush highlighter. I feel like I’ve been ripped off swing as how shampoo needs it conditioner and the 2 packs of wipes are the same item. So I got three out of five items! What a joke. If next month isn’t better I’m done with my subscription, had no complaints until now and I had picked the Stella mascara which isn’t even in my box! Where is my mascara??

Original review: March 17, 2017

I subscribed to Birchbox for about 6 months. However, the color selection was bad for my coloration. Some of the products I never used and the variety was limited. I received like 7-10 Parlor samples. I would have preferred more variety. I even received the exact same blush-bronzer combo for two months straight and it was still horrible on me. I liked the boxes though and I enjoyed the anticipation.

Original review: March 14, 2017

The box had everything I needed in it. It was full of nice and great products. It came when they said it would and with a list of very helpful items for me to use. Personalizing the box was also fun. There were so many items to choose from and everything I chose came. They had several items I had never heard of that were great. The free shipping and delivery was great, too. The box was not damaged at all. It was well packed and came in a very nice gift box. It had a clear label on it that was easy to read. Also, the quality of the samples was nice and the box had very modern items in it. The products worked very well and I was very happy when I received it.

Original review: March 12, 2017

It was a great box - liquid makeup, blush, nail polish - just that I missed understood what I was signing up for and that it was a monthly item. The samples were full size items which is very nice. The first box was free shipping. Then I believe I would have been charge 7 or 8 dollars for shipments going forward! Items were not always for my coloring or age but it is fun to try out new items. But they have great colours on many items like the hair coloring that I got. I would use the brands in the right tones and colors for me. Best words of advice select colors you use and you will be happy.

Original review: March 7, 2017

I was happy with the value of Birchbox. The products I received was as expected and the shipping was fast and fair priced. The package arrived in one piece and good shape. It included useful fun up to date new products at a reasonable price. I absolutely loved the samples I got in the package. Very good quality name brand products and I used everything I received. When personalizing the samples I was very pleased with the options I was given. Everything I wanted from the samples is what was included. My experience was great and I would recommend using the service. I will order again.

Original review: March 5, 2017

Birchbox was very high quality stuff. I never had makeup that was good on my face for multiple hours and it had gorgeous colors as well. The packaging was professional and looked so appealing. The cost was also good for the quality of the product. It got to me at the estimated time and it was just exciting to get in the mail. The sample quality was good, but I would have liked a better variety of things to try. There was only a couple of things. However, I love that you can personalize your sample box. It makes it so customized and more exciting for me. It fits who I am and makes it so much easier to use. It makes me love the brand more.

Original review: March 4, 2017

The shipping, delivery, packing was all fine and there were no problems. The box arrived when they said and very timely. It was packed very well with no damage but does not fit in my mailbox. However, there is no value at all and the samples are not quality. I filled out the forms detailing my likes wants and coloring but not one item fit my list. No attention is paid to the personalization and it looks like they throw anything in the box. Most of it was junk, not quality and not tailored to my needs or coloring. I also cannot even give it to a friend as it would be so embarrassing. There was absolutely nothing I would ever buy.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I really liked the selection and the quality of items that I got in my order. I loved to try all of the products and I looked forward to getting them every month. The shipping was always on time every month, too.

Original review: March 2, 2017

The shipping was free and everything cost $20. It took about a week for me to receive my Birchbox and I couldn't be any more happier. The packaging was good and everything was neat and tidy. The value of the box was great. It cost $20, the shipping was free and it came with an assortment of a lot of wonderful items. It had lotions and lipsticks and many different other things. The quality of the product was phenomenal too. Very happy about the purchase and I'd give it 5 stars. Everything was in great condition and all together and organized. It was also a lot of fun sampling everything that was in the box. With the great price and quality of everything it was definitely good and nice.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I received the products within a week and had never had any issues whatsoever, I like the shipping arrangement that they do and use. The box is a good value with all the things that come inside it. The samples were also good quality products for the price that I pay for them. Also, I like the questions it asks about myself to personalize my orders and the things they decide to ship out to me. I love all the things I have received a lot and I will never complain because I know I will get good things. I will buy Birchbox again especially if the price stays the same.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

The value of the box was not worth what I was paying for. If I remember right I was paying $15.00 a month. Some of the items would only last one time of using. Most of the samples were nice but I had received some powder samples that were not solid in their containers and some of the colors for my shades did not match my skin. There were also an awful lot of eye pencils in all of my orders. I did like some of the lipsticks and fingernail polish. The shipping price was $15.00 all together, which was a good thing. The box would get here on time and delivered in good shape.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

It was so easy to order and I thought that was great. It did not take long for the shipping. I got it on time and was super fast and easy. I love the overall value and quality of the products. It's amazing. I didn't think it would be that great but it has the best stuff I have ever bought. I can't wait to order some more. I'm tickled pink.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

A few friends of mine and I all ordered boxes on the same day. Theirs came, but my box never came. I gave it a few days and checked my shipping status. Still said it'd be shipping soon. The day came where I needed to cancel if I didn't want anymore boxes, so I cancelled because I'd not received my box and didn't know if I'd like it. I ended up contacting customer service and they sent a box out but it was a huge hassle and I never got to personalize my box. I didn't expect a ton of full size products for the price but I certainly didn't expect a very small box with like 4 sample sized products for the price. The products were great but they were SAMPLES. It was a tad ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Was a better value when I earned points for reviewing each sample, but still loved getting to try products I otherwise couldn't afford. Shipping is a little slow and I once received a shattered eyeshadow - customer service promptly replaced it though. They could ship monthly boxes a little bit faster. Sometimes I got an email telling me I received my latest box but it didn't arrive until days later. Samples can be repetitive which I hate, like lots of dry shampoo. Otherwise I enjoyed the skincare and lip cosmetics. I was introduced to new brands as well as mid and high end ranged products. Boxes don't always reflect your personal profile and will include products that you have stated you prefer not to receive which is frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Shipping and delivery were perfect. After the order was placed communication was very prompt. I felt the quality was pretty good. Nice to be able to receive a nice variety of product that were unique to me. It was easy to personalize, request and receive samples that would provide me with products that would be useful to me on a daily basis. It was fun to see what was in the box. It seems like the price paid was a bit higher than it should have been. I did enjoy the variety of products but would hesitate continue to receive the boxes based on price.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Great quality and service, and the value of the box is well worth the money. The shipping was fast and delivery was on time with no issues. The cost was reasonable and everything was packaged and secure as it should be. It was very good. I'm very pleased with my purchase. It was very easy to personalize my sample box to the products that I was most interested in. Excellent quality of samples were in my box and there was a very nice selection. Would highly recommend to anyone that is looking for great quality products.

Birchbox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Birchbox launched in 2010 and is headquartered in New York City. The company now operates in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Belgium and has subscription boxes designed for both women and men. Customers subscribe to receive one box of five sample-size products each month.

• Customized: When customers sign up for Birchbox, they create a profile detailing their skin and hair types as well as their personal style and beauty habits. Birchbox customizes the samples in their monthly subscription box to fit this profile.

• Store: Consumers can shop for Birchbox subscribers’ favorite beauty products on the company’s website. They can read product reviews online, and they don’t need to be a subscriber to order a product. Shoppers can refine their search to eliminate products they’re not interested in, including those that contain certain ingredient or are tested on animals.

• Simple Choice: Birchbox’s Simple Choice program lets customers pick one of the samples they receive each. Alternatively, they can select a curated box with a set of featured samples. If consumers don’t want to log in and choose a sample or box each month, they will automatically receive samples based on their Birchbox profile.

• Blog and social media: Interested consumers can follow Birchbox’s blog to learn makeup and skin care tips and read about new products. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr.

• Gift: Birchbox makes it easy to give a subscription as a gift. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six or 12 months. Consumers can also select a gift card for a three- or six-month subscription, so the recipient chooses when to have her or his first box delivered. Gift subscriptions can be placed up to three months in advance of the delivery date.

• Best for: Birchbox is available for women and men and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers, budget-conscious consumers and gift givers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs