3.8/5 (282 ratings)

About Birchbox

Birchbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

I pre-paid for a 3 month subscription on August 25, 2022, and as of November 26, 2022, I have only received one box. I customized my second box on September 25, 2022, but it still has not shipped. I wrote customer service on November 2 and still have not received a reply. Also, the product selection is pitiful, so the subscription is not even worth the money even if they sent the purchased boxes on time. What a rip off.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

I’ve been a Birchbox subscriber for years and enjoyed the options to try new products. Since the acquisition by FemTech it’s a wreck. The latest website update requires you to create a new profile, which I’ve done twice. Have not received a box since August, zero response from customer service beyond automated reply that message was received. I’m disappointed and annoyed I didn’t cancel sooner when I started receiving so many duplicate samples from previous months and junk like hand sanitizer or “feminine deodorant wipes”. The founder of this company walked away with millions of dollars and the loyal customers who built this brand got left behind. Plus I still have $50 in store credit from previous boxes skipped!

Get buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I have subscribed to Birchbox after Sephora announced that they are not doing their play box anymore. It all went well for about a year but a starting this year Birchbox started to go worse and worse. First my boxes are late, then they they never show, to find out they have updated their website and all info is lost or needs extra verification. It’s been now 2 months since I’ve received my last box, sent 3/4 emails and no response. I have canceled my subscription and I refuse to use them anymore.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Birchbox recently got rid of their app and launched a new website. I did not receive the proper emails to reactivate my existing account with the new website. After finally receiving customer support help for that, I did not receive my Sept box. I was sent a "replacement" that included most of the same items as my August box. Now for October, I never received the shipping information/box and repeated customer support emails are going unanswered even though it's November. I would like to cancel the year subscription since it's clear that Birchbox cannot deliver on what is paid for, but it is impossible to do so. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM BIRCHBOX SO YOU DON'T GET STUCK LIKE I AM!!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Eight months ago I decided to try Birchbox to see if it’s better than Ipsy. All was fine for the first six months or so, and then I found out how poorly run this company is. One day I had trouble logging into my account and sent an email asking for help. But apparently they’re too busy to reply before 8 - 10 days. Actually, they’re too busy to reply at all.

This past month I was promptly charged for my October box, but here it is, nearing the end of the month and my box hasn’t even been shipped. An email asking where my box is got the same reply as my first- 8 - 10 days, blah blah blah. Of course, as others have said, it’s nearly impossible to cancel a subscription. So this afternoon I was forced to cancel my credit card and get a new number to avoid being charged indefinitely. I wish I had read these reviews before getting involved with this shady company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I have been receiving the BirchBox subscription for a number of years. The boxes used to be fun and I have several full sized products that I was introduced through my monthly samples. Recently they have stopped shipping reliably. Today is October 19 and my September box is still “ready to ship.” My first email inquiry to customer service went unanswered. My second request resulted in a terse response indicating that second requests may delay processing time. Still haven’t received the box I paid for in September. I suspect they don’t have enough employees to fulfill their sales. The fun has definitely died.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I love receiving beauty boxes each month. I get a chance to sample new products for little money. I subscribed to Birchbox in 2015 and they were great. Now, they send sample sizes (small) and all from the same companies. I agreed to their yearly fees and now I regret signing up with them. Don't bother. IPSY, Allure, and many others are great.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

I was totally misled by this company thinking that by buying a subscription box, the actual box will be shipped as a gift to the recipient. Instead, they sent you a PDF coupon, that you have to print, buy a box, and sending by yourself to the recipient. Moreover, after two days trying to reach out to them, they tell you that they don't take cancellations or refunds!. Furthermore, the products seems very cheap and what is worst, they will keep bothering your gift recipient trying to make him/her to pay for a subscription. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I got Birchbox about a year ago and I really liked it but the last few months boxes and products are repeating and I mean with no time in between. I then read the recent reviews on here and realized that I may not be able to get out of this. I’m really disappointed because it was kind of one thing I look forward to in a month. Also it gave an explanation for the repeat of items which was as follows (my thoughts in parentheses). It said: Box look familiar? (Yes…) Rest assured your samples are freshly picked for you. (As in the same samples I had last month or the month before?) We’re celebrating fab designs (we are repeating our box designs but you should be grateful because they’re so awesome) while reducing our footprint (They don’t say what footprint, but I think it’s implied though not said). Enjoy! I found this shady and manipulative implying the bad service shouldn’t matter to us because it’s in the name of saving the environment.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Signed up for a three month subscription. For the third month which was November, I received a box that said “Summer is here!”. Contact the company to complain but did not get a response. Now trying to cancel my subscription.

Birchbox author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Birchbox launched in 2010 and is headquartered in New York City. The company now operates in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Belgium and has subscription boxes designed for both women and men. Customers subscribe to receive one box of five sample-size products each month.

• Customized: When customers sign up for Birchbox, they create a profile detailing their skin and hair types as well as their personal style and beauty habits. Birchbox customizes the samples in their monthly subscription box to fit this profile.

• Store: Consumers can shop for Birchbox subscribers’ favorite beauty products on the company’s website. They can read product reviews online, and they don’t need to be a subscriber to order a product. Shoppers can refine their search to eliminate products they’re not interested in, including those that contain certain ingredient or are tested on animals.

• Simple Choice: Birchbox’s Simple Choice program lets customers pick one of the samples they receive each. Alternatively, they can select a curated box with a set of featured samples. If consumers don’t want to log in and choose a sample or box each month, they will automatically receive samples based on their Birchbox profile.

• Blog and social media: Interested consumers can follow Birchbox’s blog to learn makeup and skin care tips and read about new products. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr.

• Gift: Birchbox makes it easy to give a subscription as a gift. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six or 12 months. Consumers can also select a gift card for a three- or six-month subscription, so the recipient chooses when to have her or his first box delivered. Gift subscriptions can be placed up to three months in advance of the delivery date.

Birchbox Company Information