3.34/5

48 Birchbox Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

So very disappointed with my June Birchbox! It's been hit or miss for the past few months - but usually there is something redeeming in there to keep me from cancelling... But that doesn't mean I have been happy. First there is the mystery of - the timing of shipping! They make sure to charge my card on the first day of each month but the box doesn't arrive for at least 2 weeks (sometimes 3)... Not sure what kind of shipping they are using - but it's not good. I have almost cancelled my subscription just for this reason alone.

But this last box -- was PITIFUL! Not one thing in there of interest.... And if I get another dry shampoo product I think I might scream! Such a waste of plastic and packaging only to have most of these products end up in the recycle bin -- but I have to go to the trouble of emptying them down the sink first. I will give it one more month - but can tell things have changed with this company... There are too many other competitors with subscription boxes out there to be taken for granted by Birchbox and I do feel ignored and taken for granted. It used to be a great surprise I looked forward to when I saw my box appear every month. Now it's just an exercise in disappointment and recycling.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I'm disappointed how low the quality of customer service, app, and the website and email notification has gone down. I bought a year subscription and I only have 3 more left but how fast it's gotten bad. Why is there a 10 day estimate for when my subscription should arrive. I'm having a hard time looking at the website to see my boxes. When the website finishes loading it goes blank. The app doesn't allow me to see my boxes. Everything is such a disappoint that I'm glad I'm cancelling after just a year. Not worth it anymore. Even with the new upgrade to pay $13 no don't do it. It used to be 11.

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Normally I love receiving my Birchbox but lately not so pleased. Today I tried to get something out of my sample Lip Retreat and I literally had to bend the entire tube completely in half and I still had to squeeze it so hard just to get anything out.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I've been receiving monthly boxes from Birchbox since December 2017. I am on my third "6 month subscription". I've tried MANY times to cancel, but cannot get anyone from the company to return my contact attempts. You can't call them, there's no phone number on the site. You have to email, text, or send a request for a call back. I get the automated response, then nothing. You can't cancel on the site, can't change from auto renew, and it won't let you remove your card from billing. The worst customer service from a company ever. The samples are tiny, not even worth the price of the box.

I have a full "beauty profile" completed, and supposedly you receive items that match your profile and preferences. I never receive anything that matches my profile or preferences. For instance, my April box was all preference items I have marked as NO. Useless to me, as they don't match my skin or hair at all. Waste of money. I have contacted my bank, and they will blocking all future charges from Birchbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I really enjoy my Birchbox experience and it's totally transformed how I shop for makeup and skincare (and hair care, but I don't use a lot of hair products). I love that I can try a bunch of different products to figure out what works for me... Even the things that aren't a perfect fit are fun to experiment with and use to pamper myself. I get great deals through Birchbox and they've made the shopping experience so easy as I can filter by specific concerns or product traits. Can't imagine walking back in a department store to pick a moisturizer up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birchbox?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Usually gives you several different items. Jewelry isn't always what it could be. Not always acceptable but sometimes. Don't always wear jewelry that is sent. Makeup brands are all good and make me want to buy them. But can't always locate that particular product.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I purchased 6 month gift subscriptions to Birchbox for two granddaughters in January. I am so disappointed. The samples are tiny! One package of makeup remover wipes had two wipes in it. They look like the free samples you might get in a Dept store make up counter or the travel bin at a Dollar store. The girls were so excited to get them, but what a disappointment when opened. I am embarrassed that I gave them 6 months of a box of tiny samples and annoyed that I paid $120 for the two subscriptions whose contents are basically advertisement samples for things to buy in the Birchbox store.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I ordered my first box on February first week. It's been a month and week and I still don't have my box. I emailed them, And they told me they were changing their delivery company because it didn't meet their standards. So they sent me a new tracking link which said I was getting my box yesterday, but I didn't. When I go to my Birchbox account it says my box was delivered, and when I go to the tracking link it says it was not delivered because there's a problem with my address. Funny thing is, I already got March box to this same address with no issue. And when ask them, they can't tell me what's going on and no one knows about my February box. They said due to this experience they will send me a free box on April, I don't have much faith on that, but get it or not, I'll cancel subscription and never buy from there again.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Updated on 04/08/2019: I am incredibly angry and disappointed in Birchbox. The products are great, and the concept is great. I committed to a 6 month subscription. At month 7, I asked to cancel my subscription and you CANNOT DO IT ONLINE. I FINALLY got a hold of a customer representative, and she PROMISED that all future payments and subscriptions were canceled. One month later, I am billed AGAIN. Again, I am unable to reach ANYONE via customer service. Horrible service, and they keep taking my money. Also, know that when you submit your credit/debit card in their system, it will NOT let you remove it; even after your committed subscriptions, so I am stuck paying for this subscription and can't take my payment method off file. NOT HAPPY. Still waiting for customer service to respond.

Original Review: I was initially really enjoying the Birchbox experience... LOVED the products and samples I would receive. Then, I tried to cancel my subscription. This is when they began to piss me off. They continued to bill my account, and make it almost impossible to cancel, even though it is AFTER my committed 6 month subscription time. Now, out of principle, I will NEVER buy their products or use them again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I received a 3-month subscription to Birchbox as a gift. When the first box came it looked like someone stepped on the box, it was dented on every side. The packaging tape holding the box closed was barely sticking on the box. It almost looked like the box had been opened and someone retaped it shut- horrible representation of the brand. Thank god I did not pay for this subscription or I would be mad I wasted money on such a poorly shipped item. The items inside were the smallest travel size you can get and not very useful in my opinion. When something looks like it has been opened or stepped on it detours the customer from even wanting to use what's inside.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

A friend set up a monthly subscription for me. When the first box came I tried to cancel it (I'm zero-waste, a super-recycler, and buy locally, this is not a good gift for me). Neither the French or American offices could find a trace of the order and when my friend tried to cancel from her side, they refused. They don't admit the order exists, but I think they'll be able to debit her account.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought a large item with shipping either free or through UPS. They gave the date for arrival via the free mode and suggested UPS which cost $$. I chose the latter which turned to out take longer than the free mode. When asked for an explanation, the Birchbox agent blew me off. Now what they could have done is fix the website to accurately describe shipment delivery but essentially I got 'that's life.' It makes me wonder what else they do that is low class.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This company is shady and disorganized. Some samples are good and some are cheap, and I’m usually bored with what they send me. I also do Ipsy and Sephora play, Sephora being the best of the 3. Why I will never subscribe to Birchbox again: It took 4 months and 3 emails to finally get a refund on some makeup I returned via mail! I think they were hoping I’d forget and they’d get to keep my money. They falsely advertised what colors come in their LOC liquid eyeshadows (this brand is a Birchbox brand), replacing the purple with the most pale color (I bought it because I wanted to try the purple). Very disappointing.

They do not have a phone number to call, and emailing them takes a long time to hear a response. Their promotions (get a whole year for $x) wasn’t actually made available for several month after their email. I contacted them to ask and never heard back. Apparently my loyalty points expired earlier than their email said they would, but hey you can’t contact them right away so I guess you just don’t get them. I tried to delete my credit card and it’s not straightforward... They make you enter a new one before deleting the old. I don’t want them to renew another year of subscriptions so now I have to hope somebody actually contacts me. What a headache. This company needs to get itself together. If they fixed those dishonest things, it would be a better experience.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have many complaints after my subscription with Birchbox. Let me lay it out for you... (forewarning, this is not an advertisement for Ipsy, but if you're looking for something similar to Birchbox that isn't a ripoff, I do suggest Ipsy instead). The products are a total rip off. I have subscribed to both Ipsy and Birchbox over the past year. Ipsy costs $10 a month, they send 5 good quality products in a cute, reusable cosmetic bag. Every month I get full size make-up products from Ipsy, and they let you personalize what types of products you would like. It's a great deal! So then I hear of Birchbox and think I'll give them a shot. They cost a little more than Ipsy, unless you purchase 12 months' worth at once. So thinking I would receive a similar value to Ipsy, I buy the 12 months.

However, I make sure upon checking out that I am not purchasing an auto-renewing membership. I'm purchasing 12 boxes. Done. Boxes start to arrive. Total crap. I'm talking samples that they give out for FREE through the mail or in stores. There are no full-size products at all. And few of them are even make-up. Most of them are one-time-use products. It's crap. Auto-renewed without consent. I had emailed Birchbox early in the year to make sure I would not be charged for renewal. Never heard back. (You can't call, but I'll get to that next.) I assume I'm all good until a charge of $110 shows up on my credit statement.

They are impossible to contact. Cancelling or getting a refund is more difficult than getting a direct call to the President. THERE IS NO WAY TO TALK TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE. I search all over their website and the internet for a phone number to Customer Service. It doesn't exist. I send another message through the website stating that I want to cancel and never authorized an auto-renewal. They say they will get back within 48 hours. They don't. I finally log in to my credit card account and go to the Birchbox transaction, and there is finally a phone number listed. I call and get a recording that in order to speak to someone I must go to the Birchbox website and request for someone to call me back.

This is INTENTIONAL, to make it as difficult as possible to cancel so they can steal your money. They conveniently got back to me days later, AFTER they processed that month's box so that they could say they can't refund that one. But luckily, my credit card company was much easier to work with and I had already disputed the charges and was told that the charge would be credited back to me. BUYER BEWARE! SKETCHY COMPANY THAT TAKES ADVANTAGE!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Signed up in November 2018 for my first Birchbox subscription. They charged me for November. I never received a Nov box. Received an email saying they ran out and next bill is on them. Dec they tried charging me but it didn’t go through. Now they say they won’t send me anything until I pay for December. But, they still owe me for November!! Their customer service said I have to pay for December, then I’ll get January 2019 free and billing resumed in February. What about what you owe me for November? January isn’t free... because you still owe me for November’s box. They couldn’t understand. They took my money and held my next box hostage... wanting 2 paid boxes before sending one?!!! Nahhh. Bad first impression.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I ordered my very first Birchbox on the November 1st and still waiting for it. However, they've already charged me so I basically paid for nothing. Their customer service is one big horrible experience - their response is super slow and you get several automatic e-mails before someone actually addresses your issue. It's too big hustle to get just a small box of few goodies. Not worth it. I hope I'll somehow manage to get my box I paid for. However, I'll never subscribe ever again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Signed up for a six-month trial of Birchbox Men. Was particularly careful to ensure that it would not renew because I have been burned before. Well, it did and, working four jobs, I was too busy to notice right away. They refuse to credit me for a box I returned. Please, beware of Birchbox FRAUD. Never bought full-size products from the boxes (their prices are outrageous) and would never buy anything from them now because of their fraudulent practices.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I’m trying to get a tracking number from them because my box was misdelivered. Everything is by email. All the return emails say they are working on it. Contacting them is no easy thing. Resolving a problem is like pulling teeth. I may have to do a credit card dispute with them. I think it’s awful when all the response you can get is emails that don’t address the situation and do nothing.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Decided to check out Birchbox, as I do not have time to shop and thought it would be a good way to check out products conveniently. The first two boxes did not contain anything that I could use; gave them to my son's girlfriend. So I have decided to cancel, but that is no easy feat with this company. They do not have a customer service number and do not have a live chat function on their website. I had to Google how to cancel, but the instructions are inaccurate. This is a scam company that does not care about customer satisfaction or concerns, and they make it very difficult to communicate with them. I will go back to shopping on Amazon, thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have received Birchbox for a year now and have cancelled, Not only do I get the same things every month, they are half size samples, meaning they are half full and this month I received a MAC mascara that was totally dried out and unusable. I like IPSY MUCH better!!! Done with Birchbox...

Original review: April 28, 2018

Why ask for your coloring types and what types of products. You're either interested in or not and put in. Stuff not close to what I've indicated? 1 product I WAS really interested in never showed and they claimed to have run out. Received extra points of no use to me since that was the product I wanted. Won't renew...

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am a Birchbox woman subscriber, and I got an email promotion stating “just for you” “upgrade to $80 annual subscription”. Pictures of pink and floral boxes adorned the ad. Upon inquiry, I was told that this is for Birchbox man, which I am not a subscriber. Just cheap and shady “bait and switch” marketing. I wish I can post a photo of the ad for everyone to see.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Ordered Birchbox both for myself and gifted to my 2 daughters. All 3 of us are very disappointed in the tiny samples that are sent as well as the quality of samples. I canceled my subscription and tried to delete my credit card on file but Birchbox will not allow me to delete the card information. If I am no longer a subscriber and will no longer be charged for the product why should I not be allowed to delete my personal credit card information off of the account! I feel this is a violation of trust with Birchbox. A company should not be allowed to store personal credit card numbers after an account is canceled. I will continue to attempt to have this rectified with Birchbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My husband gifted me BB twice. Both times for Christmas. I was thrilled the first year although none of the items were much to be impressed about. I didn’t think a whole lot about it. It was only a 3 mth subscription. I never reordered any of the items as they were not super special & were VERY expensive when checking on full size. Well, he gifted me another this past Christmas & I have to say I am even more disappointed & completely speechless at the sizes & items they send!

There was one item in my box for Feb that got my attention, a mascara, but when I checked on ordering a full size of it I was in shock! It was $24! I checked to see if the item was available elsewhere & it is, for 1/2 the price AND for a size 4 times bigger! Imagine that??? As a matter of fact, the item is available all over the place at the same LOW price of $12! So I compared more of BB’s products & they are absolutely price gouging??? Never, ever will I recommend them & will be glad when my subscription is OVER with them!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Ignored my winning contest ticket for free year subscription. Back in December I bought a box of Balanced Bars promoting a contest for free year Birchbox subscription. When I entered code into website it was invalid although it was before the Dec 31 2017 deadline. I spoke to Christy who sent me to another staff member who said the "sweeps" Dept will handle it. Here it is Feb and Sweeps Dept has not contacted me once. However I get email updates constantly. Somehow a contest is beyond their scope. Also contacted Balance Bars by mail. No reply. This is false advertising.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have gotten IPSY for over a year when I was gifted a Birchbox subscription. I was going to cancel my IPSY subscription to try Birchbox. Glad I didn't. I am very disappointed. The items are never full size. I've even received a few that barely had any product in them at all. It's a really good size box and when you open it, the contents inside are very disappointing. There is plenty of room for other things. I have gotten mostly lotions and hair products. Some good, some fair. The prices on the items are outrageous. I know they are high value, but I'm sure Birchbox gets them free from the makers of the product, so sample sizes just don't cut it. IPSY gives you full size products or at least a big enough sample to try for more than a day or two. This is my second box, and I only received one makeup product. A brow pencil that was the wrong color for me. I will not be renewing this when the subscription is done.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My November box was the worse! I got 2 wipes? I feel that is not enough to even tell if I’m going to like them?! I also received a one time use shampoo and conditioner? And a blush highlighter. I feel like I’ve been ripped off swing as how shampoo needs it conditioner and the 2 packs of wipes are the same item. So I got three out of five items! What a joke. If next month isn’t better I’m done with my subscription, had no complaints until now and I had picked the Stella mascara which isn’t even in my box! Where is my mascara??

Original review: March 17, 2017

I subscribed to Birchbox for about 6 months. However, the color selection was bad for my coloration. Some of the products I never used and the variety was limited. I received like 7-10 Parlor samples. I would have preferred more variety. I even received the exact same blush-bronzer combo for two months straight and it was still horrible on me. I liked the boxes though and I enjoyed the anticipation.

Original review: March 14, 2017

The box had everything I needed in it. It was full of nice and great products. It came when they said it would and with a list of very helpful items for me to use. Personalizing the box was also fun. There were so many items to choose from and everything I chose came. They had several items I had never heard of that were great. The free shipping and delivery was great, too. The box was not damaged at all. It was well packed and came in a very nice gift box. It had a clear label on it that was easy to read. Also, the quality of the samples was nice and the box had very modern items in it. The products worked very well and I was very happy when I received it.

Original review: March 12, 2017

It was a great box - liquid makeup, blush, nail polish - just that I missed understood what I was signing up for and that it was a monthly item. The samples were full size items which is very nice. The first box was free shipping. Then I believe I would have been charge 7 or 8 dollars for shipments going forward! Items were not always for my coloring or age but it is fun to try out new items. But they have great colours on many items like the hair coloring that I got. I would use the brands in the right tones and colors for me. Best words of advice select colors you use and you will be happy.

Birchbox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Birchbox launched in 2010 and is headquartered in New York City. The company now operates in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Belgium and has subscription boxes designed for both women and men. Customers subscribe to receive one box of five sample-size products each month.

• Customized: When customers sign up for Birchbox, they create a profile detailing their skin and hair types as well as their personal style and beauty habits. Birchbox customizes the samples in their monthly subscription box to fit this profile.

• Store: Consumers can shop for Birchbox subscribers’ favorite beauty products on the company’s website. They can read product reviews online, and they don’t need to be a subscriber to order a product. Shoppers can refine their search to eliminate products they’re not interested in, including those that contain certain ingredient or are tested on animals.

• Simple Choice: Birchbox’s Simple Choice program lets customers pick one of the samples they receive each. Alternatively, they can select a curated box with a set of featured samples. If consumers don’t want to log in and choose a sample or box each month, they will automatically receive samples based on their Birchbox profile.

• Blog and social media: Interested consumers can follow Birchbox’s blog to learn makeup and skin care tips and read about new products. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr.

• Gift: Birchbox makes it easy to give a subscription as a gift. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six or 12 months. Consumers can also select a gift card for a three- or six-month subscription, so the recipient chooses when to have her or his first box delivered. Gift subscriptions can be placed up to three months in advance of the delivery date.

• Best for: Birchbox is available for women and men and is best for makeup lovers, selective consumers, budget-conscious consumers and gift givers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs