Better Business Bureau/bbb.org

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I filed a complaint against the BBB office in Atlanta, GA which never got resolved despite my attempts to escalate it, which I will attach. Just to give you a quick background, it was regarding an unresolved complaint I originally filed against an accredited business, holding an A+ rating. After that complaint closed, I emailed the Trade Practice Specialist working on this case, asking whether or not they will at least change the rating considering that the business refused to refund my money on an incorrect order I paid for and failed to respond on three different occasions. She conveniently overlooked the points I brought up and stated that they will not be changing the rating because they cannot change the business's decision (which had nothing to do with what I mentioned).

When I responded and reiterated my points once again, she ignored my email completely. She has also "mistakenly" closed this complaint on two different occasions. It wasn't until I called her both times that she figured it was a "mistake" and reopened it. I also noticed that my complaint was posted publicly but then later removed for some strange reason. I have attached the email with Ms. **.

Then when I filed my complaint against this BBB, the manager of that office also overlooked the points I mentioned above and in a clever way, only referenced ONE of the factors that impact the rating of a business which is the business's complaint history with the BBB. She made sure to leave out the other factors impacting the rating, including a business failing to respond (which it did three times) and conducting illegal activity (refusing to refund my money). She further stated that therefore they cannot do anything further nor will they change the rating. What was worse was how the lady who handled this complaint from the CBBB (Council of the BBB) considered this complaint to be addressed and stated that they closed the file and that if I have any rebuttals, to send them directly to that office.

I certainly did not expect this from someone at the CBBB, but went ahead and emailed the manager of that BBB office, again asking her to address my unanswered questions, which were why the rating did not change due to the business failing to respond three times and refusing to refund my money. I also asked her why my complaint, which was posted publicly, was all of a sudden removed.

I also expressed my concern with her support of this business having connection with the business's accredited status and financial support of her office. She ignored my email. I then called the CBBB office and escalated this to a supervisor. I left a voicemail and did not hear back from her either. I then emailed the COO and General Council, both of the CBBB, explaining the same thing. They both did not respond. It is very disheartening to see this organization mislead consumers and embolden companies which are accredited and which financially support the BBB, to treat consumers however they please and rip them off.

Less than a day ago I submitted a complaint on New York Community Bank aka nycb.com aka My Banking Direct. However, only a short hour later (an hour later!) the BBB rejected my complaint, falsely alleging it didn't fall within its scope of complaints. What a crock of dog excrement! Furthermore, the same New York Community Bank had a FALSE A+ rating, DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT HAS ONLY 2 REVIEWS AND BOTH REVIEWS ARE NEGATIVE! I see a lot of rightfully angry people with the very same complaints about the BBB. Here's what you do: Very Simple: Go to whoscammedyou dot com. Post your review about the business AND ABOUT THE BBB right there. Your reviews and complaints will never be deleted and they will be visible for the world to see.

How does a Company (A rated), up till the day their entire inventory (cars) was seized, by banks, after numerous complaints to, State of Tennessee DMV, numerous complaints by banks and consumers, both in and out of state. Gets better, after over two years, and all over the press, and business closed June 2015, still has an A rating. Owner plead guilty to interstate wire fraud, tax evasion, etc, plead guilty and is being sentenced to up to 30 years and 1 million fine in Sep 2017. Still nothing on BBB. BBB is worthless. It caters to the business and not the customer. Look for independent sources, a lot more of them and check as many as you can find. BBB accreditation is an I paid the dues club!

The BBB has built a reputation on being the go to source to find a reputable co. THEY are the crooks!! If the co. pays enough they get the A+ torch award rating. If they don't the BBB airs their dirty laundry!! That simple!! Something should be done about this. Where is an attorney when truly needed. The BBB need a lawsuit more than half the poor businesses they give an A+ rating to.

Every time I have looked at a business on BBB to find a reliable company, I have ended up with unreliable data. Today I searched a business called MultiView. The profile showed that there were 7 reviews in which 2 were 1 star. There were 62 complaints! This business was rated A+ from the BBB. Upon looking deeper into the complaints and the dialog between the business and its disgruntled clients, it is clear that the majority of them were dissatisfied with the result of the complaint process. Still this company maintains an A+ rating. This is exactly what I wanted. Now I know for sure that I cannot trust anything that I see written here. I can stop wasting my time on this site (after this, of course). Unfortunately, this review will likely never see the light of day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Business Bureau/bbb.org?

I have a big complaint with the BBB. I was looking for an Auto Warranty Company and decided to look at the BBB ratings of companies that I am interested in. Upon looking at companies such as CNA, and many others, I noticed something odd. Some of these companies have up to 96% of their reviews as negative, and yet the BBB still rates them as A+. How can that be? Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Am I missing something here?

Not a valid or reliable source. Incredibly long story short, I once left a review for a company on the BBB website. It was a negative review. I looked the next day and my review was gone. The company called and had the BBB remove it, claiming it was a false review. I proceeded to contact the BBB and clarify that it was indeed a truthful review and they informed me to write a new one, so I did. Later in the week me and the company I worked for began receiving threats from the company I posted a review about. The BBB handed out my personal information and I was retaliated against. Also, how can you trust a review system where you can freely have negative reviews deleted?

This involves the Bonita Point Auto Care Inc. on E. H. St. in Chula Vista. This happened back in Feb. of 2013. Yes, I know it was awhile ago, and I don't have any recourse. But I felt this was such a dangerous repair work I should let people know. I had to get my 1981 Datsun truck smogged. I found a coupon (should have been my first clue), and took it out to them. The truck shows over 150k on the odometer, but the engine was replaced and only has about 60k on this engine. It did not pass smog, and they told me that they would have to repair the carb. Gave me an original estimate of $200.00. Well, a couple days later they called and said they would have to send the truck out to get it fixed. A week went by and finally they called to pick it up. The bill had gone up to $869.74!! I had no choice but to pay the bill. $536.00 for parts, and $343.00 for labor.

So the truck ran fine for about a year then I started having problem with it starting and idling. It is not my primary car, and I just use it for a "run around town" car. I finally got enough money to take it to another recommended mechanic. He found out the OLD carb was fixed with JB Weld, and it had finally give way and was leaking gas onto the manifold, a potential very dangerous situation. So, I had paid all that money for a tube of JB Weld. I ended up getting a new carb and labor for $309.00! So beware if you have an old car and you take it to these people!!!

Like to leave a review for lack of help from the BBB for Southern Alberta and East Kootenay, they would not help me out as a business owner to remove a review when it was solely based on a person whom I never met got all bent out of shape cause I did not want to do business with them, and continued to be harassing me via email. The BBB is lacking big time in their policies on how they are run. Basically anyone with a heartbeat can leave a negative review on a company even though it may not be completely true. As long as someone verifies it somehow. They will post it...

I will never in my life pay one cent towards the BBB as it is a complete scam for what they are trying to do. No way no how do they have any protection for the company whatsoever. And give no support for any company. All they want is your money and then you never hear from them again... biggest waste of time. Hence a reason why I would never check the BBB for reviews because they cannot be fully believable.

BBB is a total Scam. The government needs to get involved with the fraudulent actions of the BBB. I started a business in July of 2015. I did not qualify for a membership but the BBB gave me one anyway as I had a similar business 22 years ago and quit it 6 years prior. So they stated I had been in business for 22 years. After paying my membership of $330 per year I had a dispute with a person who works for a business that is also a BBB member of 30,000 employees and pays over $25,000 a year for their membership. The BBB demanded I go into binding arbitration using their arbiter. I refused. They removed my A+ rating.

To test them I was contacted a month or 2 later by an advertiser they receive a kickback from, Yellow Book. I agreed to spend $17,000 in advertising on the BBB website that would place me on the first page of any inquiry for my products on the BBB site. Then I cancelled it a week later. The day I cancelled it I received a call from Terry ** of the West Michigan BBB stating that they would reinstate my A+ rating if I didn't cancel the $17,000 in advertising.

Now my first year membership has expired and I am not renewing. The first thing that has happened is I have complaints that are not mine posted on my site. And a complaint from the State of Michigan that is contrived posted as "pending action". My response is not posted nor is the state of the complaint. It should be disclosed to the public how they work. And the fact that they are a franchise and that the franchise owners receive HUGE BONUSES based on membership fees. I attempted to sue the BBB and they provided my attorney a contract that you sign stating that you will not and can not litigate against them if you are an accredited member. Well guess what now I am not!!!

My wife is the owner of business. She was recently contacted by BBB to respond to a customer complaint. The complaint wasn't even warranted and it was still posted on their website. She still took the time to respond to the complaint through the BBB office after already explaining to the customer what had happened (not her fault). The BBB didn't even get a final response from the customer and still posted this bogus complaint online and posted a BBB rating for her business.

I feel like the BBB is a sham and should be stopped. The honest small businesses that don't "Pay to Play" with the membership dues are assigned false ratings and have unwarranted and baseless complaints posted online. Both of which could impact financials of a small local business. They are crooks and provide nothing of value to society.

The BBB is worthless these day. They have gotten into bed with the same corrupt business they are suppose to be evaluating. The BBB has so called special representative that handle any and all complaints that have to do with certain companies. Like Etsy or Ebay. These people are in favor of the company and deter and reject any complaints they are bias against. Not truly being honest and reporting the bad dealing practices that are going on with these companies. If the BBB was willing to tell the truth these companies would have a F rating. That's how many complaints the BBB gets on these companies, but instead they shield these companies and falsely report their standing grade as A or satisfactory. Which is a lie.

It is a waste of time to write a complaint with the BBB on big business. Now as for mom and pop businesses the BBB are willing to tear these kind of business apart and give F grades all day long. The last several complaints I have written against Ebay and Etsy have gone nowhere. The BBB reports they don't meet their requirements. It does not matter what the topic is. Loss of money, bad customer service, fraud, it does not matter. The complaint will go nowhere. The BBB is worthless and if evaluated would deserve a F- standing. Don't waste your time with them.

I was told that the BBB is there to protect consumers from unethical businesses. Well they "handled" a case for me where the manager of that business division promised the BBB in writing that they would refund me the money they over-charged me. The company lied to me about how the refund was given and waited until the one week time slot was up and the case closed. When I called the company back asking when the refund would be issued they said it wasn't their problem anymore.

I called the BBB to notify them that I never received the refund and was lied to and had to leave 3 messages and call numerous times over the span of a few weeks before someone finally called me back. (And it wasn't even my case manager!) The lady assured me that she would take care of it and call me back. (She never did.) It has been months since then and I am still forced to leave messages because the case worker NEVER ONCE ANSWERED HER PHONE or CALLED BACK. And I was always 100% courteous and patient with them. The BBB is a joke...

On October 18, my mom and I sent a complaint to BBB about Leaders Merchant Services about their shady business affairs and to provide her a refund. On the morning of November 18, I checked to see why we haven't heard anything not only from Leaders, but from BBB and our complaint was closed with no communication with us. We didn't and still haven't heard from BBB or Leaders Merchant Services. Also, our complaint wasn't posted on BBB's website. We believe BBB is worthless!!! DO NOT SEND ANY COMPLAINTS TO THEM!!! Also, BBB gave Leaders Merchant Services an A+ rating, but Leaders Merchant Services is NOT ACCREDITED WITH BBB!!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? Poor satisfaction!!!

I was paying over $400 to the BBB and I had a slow period so I ask to cancel my subscription. When I did they said that it would result in a down rating on the site. Then a week later they ask me to remove any BBB logos that I had at my facility which I did immediately after receiving the letter. A few weeks later someone called me and said, "Your rating went from A to F". Honestly I do not really care about that rating because all it takes to get a good rating is $400+ a year. I think I will stick to word of mouth, you have to earn that with honesty and good work ethics.

I was accused by the BBB and threatened that they were going to change my company's rating to F due to an old brochure with their logo on it. I no longer have these brochures AND spoke with someone about this issue months ago. They have no record of that, of course. I used to pay $440.00 every year to be "accredited" but it did nothing for my business, and I can afford it. Seems like they are not punishing me for it.

They are all about the money, will not stop their soliciting calls (and these people will not let you say no!) and now this threat. I've been in business over 15 years and work very hard and THEY threaten that. I have a great rating elsewhere. I plan on making this public and doing something legally. Funny how you can rate them on their own site. What they are doing is illegal. Shame on them.

Same thing happened to me when I filed a complaint to BBB. They closed my complaint for no reason at all. I was waiting for them to send me a link on how to submit all documentations I have for AAA and all I got was they closed my complaint just like that and now I have a derogatory item on my credit! Why do we have BBB if they are bias to businesses than consumers?!? Maybe we need to write a letter to the next President to get rid of this agency! They do harm to consumers than assist to help or even hear us out. I do not and will never trust this bureau ever again. I wasted my time and effort explaining what happened. I have still have an excellent credit (810) but it pisses me off every time I see this derogatory item on my credit! Thank you BBB for ruining American lives and for being useless and unfair to us! I will make sure to write a letter to the next President to request to investigate this agency.

I wrote a complaint on a wood rot specialist company due to poor customer service. They never returned a call saying they were too busy to take the requested job, instead the owner handed over the job to another man who called me. He sounded like he had been drinking his lunch. He said he would take care of my wood rot problem site unseen for $300 and if I supplied the paint he would paint the area for me. When I wrote this complaint to BBB they closed the report, said it would not be posted on their site, and said they would notify the owner of the company about the complaint. In other words, if you are a customer looking for a reliable company you will never know how this company failed. BBB is a scam if you are a customer looking for a reliable company.

I have filed cases with the BBB and they have closed them for no reason. I never heard from the business the complaint was filed against, nor anything from the BBB. Just case closed. I have attempted contacting them to no avail. Please don't be fooled, if a company pays the BBB to be a member and accredited, the BBB is not working for you, they're working for the company that pays them. Unfortunately my complaints are legitimately fraudulent and I will be pursuing legal action. I'm hoping to go after the BBB in the same case, since they are not helping resolve the fraud with the company and I.

I was fraudulently sold a timeshare at a Holiday Inn Resort in Las Vegas. The scammer is Orange Lake Country Club resorts based in Florida. I complained to the BBB that they had lied to me in the sales presentation and the resulting contract should be voided. The BBB had me conversing back and forth with OLCC paralegals instead of customer service agents to resolve this issue. What do you expect... yeah they just legally slam me. The legal period to void a contract in the state of Nevada is 5 calendar days, which include weekends. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN VEGAS! I sent a certified cancellation letter in day 7 calendar that included weekends, and they refused it, and held me to a contract on a extremely horrible deal. Mind you I had been on vacation during this period out of state and out of town and driving family around... including veterans... nevertheless they pursue me.

I try to work it out with OLCC they hold to the contract, BBB, they crumble and say they have done all they can and close out my complaint. The huge ** I have is if you look up Orange Lake Country Club on BBB they have no rating, but they have no unresolved complaints. This is the biggest lie! They closed my complaint out and I was trying to work things out with them. I even offered to pay a $2k penalty to escape contract and they held me to their scam. Even now I am applying for a refinance and they want history on this monkey on my back. My credit rating is excellent because the credit agency are discounting OLCC, but still it shows up on my credit report and needs to be explained. I hate the BBB beyond words. They could have backed me up, instead they caved to their owners the businesses. I will never trust another BBB report again. And, I do not trust anything any company in America says anymore.

The only one you can trust is yourself in this world ultimately, I have found everything else is questionable. The BBB is a scam. I hope this posting helps strengthen the argument the BBB is worthless for most everything. If it cannot help a consumer like me with a perfect credit history, perfect employment history, perfect everything, and throw me under the bus it cannot help any consumer. It's a scam and lie. Please get the word out... The BBB is window dressing for businesses. It will not protect you! It is there to make the business appear to be better, but there is absolutely nothing behind it period. It's yet another great American scam that is going on day after day in this lovely place that is the 'place of the free and home of the brave'. God bless America, and to hell with these evil businesses.

Complaint department does nothing to assist. I filed a complaint against a company and showed pictures proving they were lying about they did. I even submitted pictures of texts that were very unprofessional and what appears an attempt to intimidate me. Nothing became of this. The only thing that did happen the business dropped one letter grade to an A. This business has kept its accreditation. Right on the BBB website it states that a business must be honest, transparent and being trustworthy, just to name a few. The details from my complaint were never even published as was every other case. I suppose it was due to the fact that it revealed truth about this company I was having problems with.

Oddly enough being a member of the BBB is not the best way to go with your business. Years ago when the internet was first booming I worked for a company who was very ethical and very good to their customers. A situation came up where the BBB was involved and talk about getting screwed over! We sold airbeds. They came with a trial and no questions asked refund up to 60 days. The only stipulation was that you were responsible for return shipping and that the bed must come back in new condition - no stains, rips, pet hair etc... This family ordered 3 of our top of the line beds priced at 800-1000 each so it was a sizable order. All 3 beds were returned which was bad enough - having one returned was rare and this one was for 3! The returns came back and I was in charge of verifying everything was there, they were clean and then I was to sanitize them because we could resell them as returns at a discount to interested consumers.

All 3 beds had covers that were stained with I can only guess, human fluids and right in the center of the covers. We do not clean these. They are simply destroyed. We took detailed photos and deducted from the purchase price and notified the consumer who then complained to the great BBB. When we were contacted we of course explained to the BBB what had occurred along with our policy which was besides the point. We sent detailed photos as well. The BBB ruled for the consumer demanding we give full refund on all 3 beds. BBB you suck. This was so insulting I had to write about this even though it occurred many years ago. To this day I tell new businesses to skip registering with the BBB because they protect the consumer and will do so by screwing your business.

I was dealing with a firm regarding a vacation. Found out my agent mislead me. The firm thankfully discharged the employee and resolved my issue, but the firm told me and I just confirmed the agent who mislead me is now selling services and working for the Phoenix BBB. How ironic... Evidently they hire anyone and didn't verify their previous employment.

I had documentary evidence of fraud from a local landscaping company with an A+ BBB rating (one of the reasons I had decided to hire them). I took a long time over my complaint, working on BBB's poorly designed website to submit a detailed factual report. First of all, the time limits for complaining and answering are very much more generous to the company than to the consumer. Next, the BBB does absolutely nothing to further your complaint or even attempt to mediate. The company simply says "No I didn't" and that's that. You get an email from the BBB saying sorry you weren't able to resolve your complaint. Company keeps its rating - because after all it pays an annual fee to do so. BBB is not a consumer organisation. Oh, and the woman I dealt with was rude too.

Here is a thoroughly disappointed customer and here is why. Filed a claim online on 08/13/16 and when I called up after an hour or so (2.09 PM), was told that there is no record of any claim made and the representative filed a claim (giving a claim no: 105358). I was told that I will receive an email on 08/15/16. Note: This is for my Clothes washer not working any more.

I called up customer service earlier today 08/15/16 (1.01 PM) and was told that there was a contractor assigned to my job and will receive an email shortly. I never received an email and called up customer service again (3.59 PM) and the representative went over the whole issue again (giving the claim number did not help). He just said he will submit a follow up request and someone will call me tomorrow.

4) Called up customer service 2 times on 08/19. The first time, was told that I would receive an email from contractor by end of day today. When called later today, was told nobody accepted and asking me to service of my own. There have been a big difference in what was communicated during my calls 1, 2 and 3 above and I have really lost trust with getting my claim processed. Lesson learnt in choosing Select home warranty. I was actually going to renew my contract in 2 months but I'm really thinking twice now. I have the voice recordings of all my calls with your customer service department earlier and call history. I see the knack of this warranty company trying to play with patience of customer, forcing them to resolve it of their own, no form of status/ updates whatsover about the status of claim.

I am a small business owner. This year I starting getting calls from the BBB, they want me to join because I have a A+ rating. As you have read the BBB is not for the small business but somehow the BBB has convinced folks that by you paying the BBB they will help you. This would be the first fallacy, you pay the BBB to take over your company and tell you what to do. As you can see it never works out in the small business owners favor or even fair. In fact as I read the small business owner pays the BBB and they just get terrible things said about their business followed up by lazy staff who have better things to do than straighten out the garbage they put on the internet. I would like you to know nobody calls the BBB unless they have a problem and the BBB is going to call you and harass you whether you are a part of the BBB or not.

In my case the BBB starting calling me due to my A+ rating. I asked them to not call me back. The BBB called me back to again solicit my A+ company, this time I was stern but polite and once again covered why I do not want the BBB calling me. The calls stopped for a few weeks and then I started getting calls and messages. People I do not know, people I have no relationship with, calling me by my first name as if we are friends. Finally I gave the BBB a call back and I left a message on the harassers (BBB) phone. I was not pleasant, I was not happy, I was harsh in my 3rd time to tell this BBB you have no reason to ever call me or my company.

I had the opportunity to use the BBB from a consumer aspect. The BBB took the issue 3 months. In the end I had to take the company to court, another 30 days. I said to the judge here are my BBB reports on all that has been done. The Judge said he did not want to see any worthless papers from the BBB. Four months a family, 2 children and no car. Do not waste your time or your money being a part of this dying operation with only one direction Down. I have to rate my experience with the BBB 1 star, wish it could be a 0 but that is not an option. I am not sure why they lowered my rating from A+ to A- 3 levels to a 90 with no complaints 0, for demanding the BBB not call my business ever.

Agreeing to be any part of the BBB is insane, there is no doubt you would just be harming yourself and paying your blood, sweat, to the BBB who is not there for you. BBB get your payment from the consumer the people you represent. Please pass the word "do not harm your own business by joining the BBB" and be stern from the git-go.

The BBB is designed for companies that will pay to play. Their ratings are false as they will hide facts and will refuse negative reviews of companies. Don't count on the BBB ratings! If you want to waste your time complaining to them good luck!

In my recent dealings with the Better Business Bureau my case was closed citing the either or statement. "BBB has not heard back from the consumer as to their satisfaction with the business's response, or the business addressed the issues within the complaint, but the consumer remains dissatisfied." There is no "or" I responded on August 4, 2016 and received nothing from the BBB or the company in question other than the announcement of closure on August, 10, 2016. The company failed to respond. The BBB now refuses to amend this document to reflect accurately the situation as if adding "or" makes claims about my lack of response anymore truthful. Impartiality does not give one the right to use falsehoods because they feel the word "or" infers a may or may not be true scenario.

The picture below shows I indeed responded making the statement: BBB has not heard back from the consumer as to their satisfaction with the business's response. False. As such this statement should be removed from the document and the document should accurately reflect that the company in question chose not to respond. The only correct way for the statement to read is as follows: "BBB has not heard back from the business as to their satisfaction with the consumer's response, or the business addressed the issues within the complaint, but the consumer remains dissatisfied."

Recent complaint to BBB about Expedia.com, response from Expedia escaping responsibility but BBB closed case. Later found out that BBB had received 3990 complaints about Expedia and now all are considered closed. Out of the 3990, 1665 closed in past 12 months. NOTE that all cases are "closed" but not RESOLVED. But BBB gives Expedia an A+ rating. This tell how credible BBB is. So if you choose to believe BBB's rating, do so at your own expense. Don't even waste time with BBB. They are simply USELESS.

A company with an A+ rating quoted me a price to pump out my septic tanks. When they arrived they raised the price $350 and I refused to pay it. They then hand me a service call invoice for $187.50. Such a scam. I reported it to the BBB, had several heated phone conversations and absolutely no help at all. I'll never use another company with a BBB accreditation.

Better Business Bureau/bbb.org Company Profile