Better Business Bureau/bbb.org

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was told that the BBB is there to protect consumers from unethical businesses. Well they "handled" a case for me where the manager of that business division promised the BBB in writing that they would refund me the money they over-charged me. The company lied to me about how the refund was given and waited until the one week time slot was up and the case closed. When I called the company back asking when the refund would be issued they said it wasn't their problem anymore.

I called the BBB to notify them that I never received the refund and was lied to and had to leave 3 messages and call numerous times over the span of a few weeks before someone finally called me back. (And it wasn't even my case manager!) The lady assured me that she would take care of it and call me back. (She never did.) It has been months since then and I am still forced to leave messages because the case worker NEVER ONCE ANSWERED HER PHONE or CALLED BACK. And I was always 100% courteous and patient with them. The BBB is a joke...

On October 18, my mom and I sent a complaint to BBB about Leaders Merchant Services about their shady business affairs and to provide her a refund. On the morning of November 18, I checked to see why we haven't heard anything not only from Leaders, but from BBB and our complaint was closed with no communication with us. We didn't and still haven't heard from BBB or Leaders Merchant Services. Also, our complaint wasn't posted on BBB's website. We believe BBB is worthless!!! DO NOT SEND ANY COMPLAINTS TO THEM!!! Also, BBB gave Leaders Merchant Services an A+ rating, but Leaders Merchant Services is NOT ACCREDITED WITH BBB!!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? Poor satisfaction!!!

I was paying over $400 to the BBB and I had a slow period so I ask to cancel my subscription. When I did they said that it would result in a down rating on the site. Then a week later they ask me to remove any BBB logos that I had at my facility which I did immediately after receiving the letter. A few weeks later someone called me and said, "Your rating went from A to F". Honestly I do not really care about that rating because all it takes to get a good rating is $400+ a year. I think I will stick to word of mouth, you have to earn that with honesty and good work ethics.

I was accused by the BBB and threatened that they were going to change my company's rating to F due to an old brochure with their logo on it. I no longer have these brochures AND spoke with someone about this issue months ago. They have no record of that, of course. I used to pay $440.00 every year to be "accredited" but it did nothing for my business, and I can afford it. Seems like they are not punishing me for it.

They are all about the money, will not stop their soliciting calls (and these people will not let you say no!) and now this threat. I've been in business over 15 years and work very hard and THEY threaten that. I have a great rating elsewhere. I plan on making this public and doing something legally. Funny how you can rate them on their own site. What they are doing is illegal. Shame on them.

Same thing happened to me when I filed a complaint to BBB. They closed my complaint for no reason at all. I was waiting for them to send me a link on how to submit all documentations I have for AAA and all I got was they closed my complaint just like that and now I have a derogatory item on my credit! Why do we have BBB if they are bias to businesses than consumers?!? Maybe we need to write a letter to the next President to get rid of this agency! They do harm to consumers than assist to help or even hear us out. I do not and will never trust this bureau ever again. I wasted my time and effort explaining what happened. I have still have an excellent credit (810) but it pisses me off every time I see this derogatory item on my credit! Thank you BBB for ruining American lives and for being useless and unfair to us! I will make sure to write a letter to the next President to request to investigate this agency.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Business Bureau/bbb.org?

I wrote a complaint on a wood rot specialist company due to poor customer service. They never returned a call saying they were too busy to take the requested job, instead the owner handed over the job to another man who called me. He sounded like he had been drinking his lunch. He said he would take care of my wood rot problem site unseen for $300 and if I supplied the paint he would paint the area for me. When I wrote this complaint to BBB they closed the report, said it would not be posted on their site, and said they would notify the owner of the company about the complaint. In other words, if you are a customer looking for a reliable company you will never know how this company failed. BBB is a scam if you are a customer looking for a reliable company.

I have filed cases with the BBB and they have closed them for no reason. I never heard from the business the complaint was filed against, nor anything from the BBB. Just case closed. I have attempted contacting them to no avail. Please don't be fooled, if a company pays the BBB to be a member and accredited, the BBB is not working for you, they're working for the company that pays them. Unfortunately my complaints are legitimately fraudulent and I will be pursuing legal action. I'm hoping to go after the BBB in the same case, since they are not helping resolve the fraud with the company and I.

I was fraudulently sold a timeshare at a Holiday Inn Resort in Las Vegas. The scammer is Orange Lake Country Club resorts based in Florida. I complained to the BBB that they had lied to me in the sales presentation and the resulting contract should be voided. The BBB had me conversing back and forth with OLCC paralegals instead of customer service agents to resolve this issue. What do you expect... yeah they just legally slam me. The legal period to void a contract in the state of Nevada is 5 calendar days, which include weekends. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN VEGAS! I sent a certified cancellation letter in day 7 calendar that included weekends, and they refused it, and held me to a contract on a extremely horrible deal. Mind you I had been on vacation during this period out of state and out of town and driving family around... including veterans... nevertheless they pursue me.

I try to work it out with OLCC they hold to the contract, BBB, they crumble and say they have done all they can and close out my complaint. The huge ** I have is if you look up Orange Lake Country Club on BBB they have no rating, but they have no unresolved complaints. This is the biggest lie! They closed my complaint out and I was trying to work things out with them. I even offered to pay a $2k penalty to escape contract and they held me to their scam. Even now I am applying for a refinance and they want history on this monkey on my back. My credit rating is excellent because the credit agency are discounting OLCC, but still it shows up on my credit report and needs to be explained. I hate the BBB beyond words. They could have backed me up, instead they caved to their owners the businesses. I will never trust another BBB report again. And, I do not trust anything any company in America says anymore.

The only one you can trust is yourself in this world ultimately, I have found everything else is questionable. The BBB is a scam. I hope this posting helps strengthen the argument the BBB is worthless for most everything. If it cannot help a consumer like me with a perfect credit history, perfect employment history, perfect everything, and throw me under the bus it cannot help any consumer. It's a scam and lie. Please get the word out... The BBB is window dressing for businesses. It will not protect you! It is there to make the business appear to be better, but there is absolutely nothing behind it period. It's yet another great American scam that is going on day after day in this lovely place that is the 'place of the free and home of the brave'. God bless America, and to hell with these evil businesses.

Complaint department does nothing to assist. I filed a complaint against a company and showed pictures proving they were lying about they did. I even submitted pictures of texts that were very unprofessional and what appears an attempt to intimidate me. Nothing became of this. The only thing that did happen the business dropped one letter grade to an A. This business has kept its accreditation. Right on the BBB website it states that a business must be honest, transparent and being trustworthy, just to name a few. The details from my complaint were never even published as was every other case. I suppose it was due to the fact that it revealed truth about this company I was having problems with.

Oddly enough being a member of the BBB is not the best way to go with your business. Years ago when the internet was first booming I worked for a company who was very ethical and very good to their customers. A situation came up where the BBB was involved and talk about getting screwed over! We sold airbeds. They came with a trial and no questions asked refund up to 60 days. The only stipulation was that you were responsible for return shipping and that the bed must come back in new condition - no stains, rips, pet hair etc... This family ordered 3 of our top of the line beds priced at 800-1000 each so it was a sizable order. All 3 beds were returned which was bad enough - having one returned was rare and this one was for 3! The returns came back and I was in charge of verifying everything was there, they were clean and then I was to sanitize them because we could resell them as returns at a discount to interested consumers.

All 3 beds had covers that were stained with I can only guess, human fluids and right in the center of the covers. We do not clean these. They are simply destroyed. We took detailed photos and deducted from the purchase price and notified the consumer who then complained to the great BBB. When we were contacted we of course explained to the BBB what had occurred along with our policy which was besides the point. We sent detailed photos as well. The BBB ruled for the consumer demanding we give full refund on all 3 beds. BBB you suck. This was so insulting I had to write about this even though it occurred many years ago. To this day I tell new businesses to skip registering with the BBB because they protect the consumer and will do so by screwing your business.

I was dealing with a firm regarding a vacation. Found out my agent mislead me. The firm thankfully discharged the employee and resolved my issue, but the firm told me and I just confirmed the agent who mislead me is now selling services and working for the Phoenix BBB. How ironic... Evidently they hire anyone and didn't verify their previous employment.

I had documentary evidence of fraud from a local landscaping company with an A+ BBB rating (one of the reasons I had decided to hire them). I took a long time over my complaint, working on BBB's poorly designed website to submit a detailed factual report. First of all, the time limits for complaining and answering are very much more generous to the company than to the consumer. Next, the BBB does absolutely nothing to further your complaint or even attempt to mediate. The company simply says "No I didn't" and that's that. You get an email from the BBB saying sorry you weren't able to resolve your complaint. Company keeps its rating - because after all it pays an annual fee to do so. BBB is not a consumer organisation. Oh, and the woman I dealt with was rude too.

Here is a thoroughly disappointed customer and here is why. Filed a claim online on 08/13/16 and when I called up after an hour or so (2.09 PM), was told that there is no record of any claim made and the representative filed a claim (giving a claim no: 105358). I was told that I will receive an email on 08/15/16. Note: This is for my Clothes washer not working any more.

I called up customer service earlier today 08/15/16 (1.01 PM) and was told that there was a contractor assigned to my job and will receive an email shortly. I never received an email and called up customer service again (3.59 PM) and the representative went over the whole issue again (giving the claim number did not help). He just said he will submit a follow up request and someone will call me tomorrow.

4) Called up customer service 2 times on 08/19. The first time, was told that I would receive an email from contractor by end of day today. When called later today, was told nobody accepted and asking me to service of my own. There have been a big difference in what was communicated during my calls 1, 2 and 3 above and I have really lost trust with getting my claim processed. Lesson learnt in choosing Select home warranty. I was actually going to renew my contract in 2 months but I'm really thinking twice now. I have the voice recordings of all my calls with your customer service department earlier and call history. I see the knack of this warranty company trying to play with patience of customer, forcing them to resolve it of their own, no form of status/ updates whatsover about the status of claim.

I am a small business owner. This year I starting getting calls from the BBB, they want me to join because I have a A+ rating. As you have read the BBB is not for the small business but somehow the BBB has convinced folks that by you paying the BBB they will help you. This would be the first fallacy, you pay the BBB to take over your company and tell you what to do. As you can see it never works out in the small business owners favor or even fair. In fact as I read the small business owner pays the BBB and they just get terrible things said about their business followed up by lazy staff who have better things to do than straighten out the garbage they put on the internet. I would like you to know nobody calls the BBB unless they have a problem and the BBB is going to call you and harass you whether you are a part of the BBB or not.

In my case the BBB starting calling me due to my A+ rating. I asked them to not call me back. The BBB called me back to again solicit my A+ company, this time I was stern but polite and once again covered why I do not want the BBB calling me. The calls stopped for a few weeks and then I started getting calls and messages. People I do not know, people I have no relationship with, calling me by my first name as if we are friends. Finally I gave the BBB a call back and I left a message on the harassers (BBB) phone. I was not pleasant, I was not happy, I was harsh in my 3rd time to tell this BBB you have no reason to ever call me or my company.

I had the opportunity to use the BBB from a consumer aspect. The BBB took the issue 3 months. In the end I had to take the company to court, another 30 days. I said to the judge here are my BBB reports on all that has been done. The Judge said he did not want to see any worthless papers from the BBB. Four months a family, 2 children and no car. Do not waste your time or your money being a part of this dying operation with only one direction Down. I have to rate my experience with the BBB 1 star, wish it could be a 0 but that is not an option. I am not sure why they lowered my rating from A+ to A- 3 levels to a 90 with no complaints 0, for demanding the BBB not call my business ever.

Agreeing to be any part of the BBB is insane, there is no doubt you would just be harming yourself and paying your blood, sweat, to the BBB who is not there for you. BBB get your payment from the consumer the people you represent. Please pass the word "do not harm your own business by joining the BBB" and be stern from the git-go.

The BBB is designed for companies that will pay to play. Their ratings are false as they will hide facts and will refuse negative reviews of companies. Don't count on the BBB ratings! If you want to waste your time complaining to them good luck!

In my recent dealings with the Better Business Bureau my case was closed citing the either or statement. "BBB has not heard back from the consumer as to their satisfaction with the business's response, or the business addressed the issues within the complaint, but the consumer remains dissatisfied." There is no "or" I responded on August 4, 2016 and received nothing from the BBB or the company in question other than the announcement of closure on August, 10, 2016. The company failed to respond. The BBB now refuses to amend this document to reflect accurately the situation as if adding "or" makes claims about my lack of response anymore truthful. Impartiality does not give one the right to use falsehoods because they feel the word "or" infers a may or may not be true scenario.

The picture below shows I indeed responded making the statement: BBB has not heard back from the consumer as to their satisfaction with the business's response. False. As such this statement should be removed from the document and the document should accurately reflect that the company in question chose not to respond. The only correct way for the statement to read is as follows: "BBB has not heard back from the business as to their satisfaction with the consumer's response, or the business addressed the issues within the complaint, but the consumer remains dissatisfied."

Recent complaint to BBB about Expedia.com, response from Expedia escaping responsibility but BBB closed case. Later found out that BBB had received 3990 complaints about Expedia and now all are considered closed. Out of the 3990, 1665 closed in past 12 months. NOTE that all cases are "closed" but not RESOLVED. But BBB gives Expedia an A+ rating. This tell how credible BBB is. So if you choose to believe BBB's rating, do so at your own expense. Don't even waste time with BBB. They are simply USELESS.

A company with an A+ rating quoted me a price to pump out my septic tanks. When they arrived they raised the price $350 and I refused to pay it. They then hand me a service call invoice for $187.50. Such a scam. I reported it to the BBB, had several heated phone conversations and absolutely no help at all. I'll never use another company with a BBB accreditation.

Twice the BBB has been eager to give two awful companies, Amex and Priceline, great and undeserved A+ ratings. In the past the BBB used to be amazing for dealing with customer complaints. Now they are just a waste of your time and your score means nothing except adding on to the company's awful reputation. I highly recommend to anyone that they do not trust BBB and instead go with consumer affairs which seems customer driven and oriented.

We own a business in Michigan. To all customers who attempt to use the Better Business Bureau Carla ** is the person who reviews our BBBs. She is located with the Better Business Bureau Servicing Eastern Michigan and it is a complete joke. I have never seen the customer helped in any manner nor the Business in the last 4 years. The process is a complete waste of time and we are no longer going to deal with them. Having an A, B, C, D or whatever score does not seem to affect our business at all. No one is helped when a complaint is filed. It is like they are open to "have a job and paycheck". Completely silly. We are going to stop wasting time and energy with them and do something useful.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous organizations out there. They are supported by the very same businesses that they watch over. How could they ever be an impartial mediator between you and the business? I filed a complaint with the BBB of Central New England (6 Park Ave #100, Worcester, MA 01605), and after the business gave short, single line responses that caused more questions than they answered--again, never answering my complaint, the BBB decided that the business acted appropriately--though they made excuses and tried deflecting me off to their wholesaler (that's right, they deflected me off to their wholesaler!) This is insane; had I known then what I know now, I would have gone elsewhere (actually anywhere else--that's how futile this organization is). The BBB is nothing more than a pimp for their businesses.

I own a home improvement company. We became a member of the BBB because we felt we were forced to because of the improper public image of the BBB. The BBB has on their management committee Above Roofing who is a direct competitor of our and we have taken a great deal of business from recently. We had an employee steel several customer files of customers who had very long delays on their installations of their work as it was winter. She took these stolen files to the BBB. The BBB was aware that this person had stolen the files and used the information behind our back calling them and soliciting complaints. In addition gave this information to the local news station. They removed our A+ rating and demanded to have access to all of our customer files so they could call them privately.

Out of the blue we were contacted by YPC advertising who requested that we advertise with them through their BBB program and that if we purchased their program for over $17,000 we would be one of 3 companies recommended by the BBB. Having no other choice we made an agreement to purchase the advertising at which time we were notified by Terry ** of the BBB that they were returning our A+ rating. After hearing this I was pleased at first and then furious that the BBB had and was extorting money from me and cancelled the advertising. Needless to say we are currently rated as NON RATED. And I will guarantee anyone calling on a reference is told not to buy from us! I have hired an attorney and intend to expose the BBB for what they really are, con men!

HAS FACEBOOK BOUGHT OFF THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU? I have had to come to the Better Business Bureau, lately, over Facebook misbehavior. Yesterday, I wrote a second complaint on facebook blocking me from posting on my timeline, citing, disingenuously, "Community guidelines". The BBB wrote me back today, informing me that "They", whoever "They" are, have decided that my complaint is "Invalid". Invalid?

The two complaints are not related. So what this means is that a Facebook member may only complain about FACEBOOK a given number of times, within

a given time period. In my view, this could only mean that FACEBOOK HAS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR FACEBOOK CORPORATION. You can't complain twice about their money source, FACEBOOK CORPORATION. Bottom line: the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU hasn't got one ounce of integrity. NOT ONE OUNCE.

I would give minus five stars to this organization and change their slogan to "End of Trust". Recently I inquired UPS to clarify some statements in its shipping policy, but UPS did whatever possible not to answer to those inquiries. Completely lacking to reach anyone at UPS and receive any adequate answer, I filed complaint to BBB in Atlanta, GA against UPS main office in Atlanta, GA. All I requested from BBB was to ask UPS not to ignore my inquiries and communicate. In a week UPS replied to the complaint stating that: "The customer's concerns were previously directed to the appropriate department to address this issue, and their business was provided with direct contact information" and "This is UPS final response".

At the same time I received reply from BBB in Atlanta GA: "BBB cannot request a business to change their policies or the way they do business. Therefore, there is nothing further your BBB can do to assist you in this matter." What??? After these two unrelated and inadequate responses BBB administratively closed this complaint without any resolution. Let’s make it clear here.

First, I still don't know what is the "appropriate department" and who is its "direct contact" at UPS, and second I never asked BBB to change anything in UPS, but only asked for a little help and be a middleman. So, I did not agree with their both inputs, but since the complaint was closed and there was no option to protest, I opened another case, just asking UPS to provide with that "appropriate department information" and its "direct contact" to me and ask them to communicate through BBB. However BBB has closed this complaint right away as DUPLICATE. As for now it looks like BBB is trying to protect UPS from this complaint, and both UPS and BBB all together do whatever possible not to answer to those inquiries. :) Yes, dog doesn't eat dog!

Also, I noticed that despite thousands of unresolved complaints and bad reviews, UPS main office in Atlanta, GA is rated "A+", however the small, not accredited with BBB business I know, just for a single absolutely unreasonable complaint, which was modified by BBB the way to be looking kind of reasonable, got its rating already reduced to "C+". Come on people! Do we need this? And since I didn't find any more than one star review, this is the end of my trust to absolutely useless BBB.

The BBB of Worcester, Massachusetts had numerous complaints about CAF Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a Foley's Collision Center d/b/a Stone's Autobody and still awarded it an A+ rating. BBB failed to post my complaint against Foley's Collision Center/Stone's Autobody to warn future unsuspecting customers of this unscrupulous autobody repair shop, which was committing insurance fraud and assaulted me when I went to retrieve my car after it was there 69 days and no work was being performed. My car is currently in 100 pieces and I was given parts that do not belong to my car, see photo.

I informed the BBB that Foley's Collision Center/Stone's Autobody retained possession of parts to my car. The Premier Insurance Company of Massachusetts d/b/a Travelers of Massachusetts paid Foley's Collision Center/Stone's Autobody multiple installments totaling $12,916.94 while knowing all along that no repairs were being performed. Turns out that Foley's Collision Center/Stone's Autobody's business insurer is a subsidiary of Travelers. BBB failed to report my complaint to the Attorney General Office, Division of Insurance, and other agencies who oversee the autobody repair shops. Since my complaint in 2011, Foley's Collision Center/Stone's Autobody continues to scam, commit insurance fraud, and cause grief to its customers, which has not affected its A+ rating from the BBB.

Our review for the Western Michigan BBB and their AJR policy. Views expressed in this review are our own and do not necessarily represent the Western Michigan BBB’s or any BBB\CBBB's positions, strategies or opinions. Is the BBB's A+ rating meaningless? Let's talk about it and the "Pay to Play" scam with a twist of AJR. Would you bite the hand that’s feeding you? If you did, what happens? Think about it!

All you consumers out there, you do know that the BBB derives their revenue directly from big businesses and corporations, and some small scared ones. They pay to be accredited. They pay the BBB to rate them. They Pay to Play! They are the BBB's clients. Anyone out there think this is inherently wrong, kind of like a fox guarding a hen house? Would it be fair to say that in order to maintain the BBB's yearly revenue they would have to keep their paying clients happy? Whose side will they favor, yours or their paying clients? If you were an A+ rated corporation, would you continue to pay the BBB if they lowered your rating to a B? Think about it! Who makes the BBB's policies? Who governs the BBBs? If you guessed the BBB (CBBB), good guess!

The "Pay to Play" scam has been reported nationwide and we encountered it at the Western Michigan BBB. The latest recorded twist in the "Pay to Play" scam is AJR. Starting in 2016 this BBB will tell you they don't use the initials AJR anymore in their complaint status (whoops, they used it in ours!). Well it is irrelevant whether or not they use the initials AJR. What is relevant is they still practice and follow this policy, no matter what they call it. What is AJR you ask? AJR stands for "Administratively Judged Resolved". The BBB takes a company's last rebuttal and says it seems to address all the issues, lets judge this case resolved (AJR), lets "Administratively Close" this case. The case is now considered resolved. End of story. Get the picture?

What if the company's rebuttal did not really address the issues? The BBB stretched the truth (our opinion lied)? Too bad! AJR! Get the picture? The "Pay to Play" scam is a protection scam for BBB accredited companies who choose to pay for it! Companies who choose not to Pay to Play, do not get this protection. We apologize for what we are about to say to all you small companies who don't Pay to Play and fear the BBB. Most small unaccredited companies will work very hard to resolve your complaints simply because they fear the BBB will lower their grade. You consumers can use the BBB to get your less serious complaints resolved against these small unaccredited businesses. We concede it works very well. But when filing more serious complaints against large accredited businesses, you're wasting your time. The BBB will take actions to ensure they don't lose a paying client!

Have you ever researched a BBB accredited company (on the BBB's site) by checking complaints filed against them? You may see a lot of complaints that were resolved because the company took actions to fix the reported issues. But then you see some cases that had very serious issues filed. They were labeled as resolved for no reported reason. These are the cases that are most likely to be AJR. If the same serious issues were filed against an unaccredited company, do you think their case would be AJR? Get the picture? That's the "Pay to Play" scam with a twist of AJR! The BBB can even choose not to report and post a complaint, like ours! They make the rules.

Overall the BBB claims to resolve seventy percent of the complaints they receive. The percentage of complaints resolved for just BBB A+ accredited companies is much, much higher. Near 100%. With AJR, that isn't too hard to accomplish. If a complaint goes unresolved, the grade for that company can be lowered. The BBB is not going to lower a Pay to Play accredited company's grade and lose them as a paying client. Get the picture?

The BBB states: "The role of the BBB isn't to judge the quality of a company's products or services, nor is it to recommend certain companies over others." Think about this statement! What do you use the BBB for? Aren't you looking for a company that will give you a quality job or product? Did you think if you hired a BBB A+ rated company and paid an A+ price that you were going to get an A+ quality product or job? No! Not according to the BBB. So knowing that the AJR policy is in place and practiced, does the A+ rating for a BBB accredited company actually mean anything? Think about it! If you read between the lines, the BBB is stating that an unaccredited BBB C rated company could give you a better quality job or product than a BBB A+ rated accredited company.

Again, does the A+ rating for a BBB accredited company actually mean anything? No, absolutely not! It all boils down to AJR. The BBB's hands are tied. They will not allow their paying clients to have their grade reduced simply because they will not reduce their revenue! AJR gives them the means to do this. The BBB and the BBB's A+ grade should be considered corrupt because they practice AJR. Get the picture? So if the BBB's rating system is corrupt, does the BBB have a purpose to exist at all? No, not for consumers. Yes, for corporations and companies who pay the BBB to run interference for them, fighting off all those pesky consumers who dare charge their clients with wrong doings! Without the revenue from businesses the BBB would not exist. Get the picture.

Anytime one of their clients has their A+ rating threatened, the BBB has the option to "Administratively Close" (AJR) that complaint. They make the rules! Get the picture. Would anyone argue that money from big businesses influences our government and elected officials? Do you really think big businesses, the BBB's clients, have no influence on the BBB? Who do think makes up a large portion of the directors for the BBB?

Use our case as an example. We filed a detailed complaint against a branch of a major roofing company along with emails and photos, giving them (indisputable) proof or our accusations. We stated that this branch put a complete new roof on that was crap. This branch then finished up by putting ridge vents on in which they failed to cut slots thru the roof so they could actually function as vents (fraud or intent to defraud)! We also hired them to restore our overhang. It was crap too. This branch refused to fix the crap.

After an epic effort on our part, the corporation finally stepped up and completely tore the new roof off and replaced it. We still have the crap overhang today! This took the better part of a whole year (average size roof, about 33 squares). This branch would not respond to our BBB complaint. The corporation responded with two rebuttals that did not address our accusations. The BBB said good enough and "Administratively Closed" (AJR) our case. Think about it! If the rebuttals truly addressed all our issues, they wouldn't have had to "Administratively Closed" (AJR) our case.

We asked the BBB what they saw in the rebuttals that seem to address our issues. They refused to answer and then of course gave us the token offer to go to binding arbitration. We told them we didn't trust anyone having anything to do with the BBB until they told us what they saw in the rebuttal that addressed our issues. They would not. By sending our case to a dozen other BBBs and asking if this was the way they would have handled our case, we got our case sent to the President and the Director of Operations at the Western Michigan BBB. It was also sent to the Manager of Operational Standards and Assessment of the CBBB. United, they all stated that our case was handled correctly according to the BBB's policies and procedures. They all agreed with AJR! Currently our case is in limbo. They will not close it or post it.

Think about it. By "Administratively Closing" our complaint (AJR), the BBB in effect is stating that it is ok for this A+ roofing company to take a year to put your residential roof on. They are stating it is ok for this A+ roofing company to do poor quality work and commit fraud on your roof and still keep their BBB A+ rating. Wake up people! In effect they are stating the BBB's A+ rating is meaningless!

If you are reading this, then you were probably searching the internet for info on the BBB. We encourage you to use every search engines on the internet. Use this phrase with the quotation marks: "BBB is a scam". Be sure you have plenty of time, like a week or two, there are that many complaints and bad reviews filed. We think we're the first ones to isolate and report on the AJR policy (scam). We have done extensive research on the BBB and have read very little about AJR. No one knew what AJR stands for. It took a lot of time, effort and patience to get the Director of Operations of this BBB to admit why our case was "Administratively Closed", and to get the President of this BBB to tell us what the initials AJR meant. We still have all the emails as proof. Trust us, they didn't just openly volunteer this information.

The BBB no longer talks about or uses the initials AJR in a complaint status. But they still practice this policy and instead of labeling a complaint AJR, they now label it "Administratively Closed". It is the same thing. They don't "Administratively Close"a case until it is "Administratively Judged Resolved"! This enables the BBB to say a complaint was resolved, allowing them to keep their "Pay to Play" clients happy! This is why there are so many ticked off consumers with the BBB. Most (not all) of these consumers had very valid complaints and thought the BBB would help them. They were surprised and upset when their case was "Administratively Closed" (AJR). They knew the BBB was helping their client to cover up the truth. They knew they had submitted a valid complaint against a company that should not be rated A+ by the BBB.

Have you seen commercials where businesses declare they are BBB A+ accredited? Consumers have to learn that this doesn't mean they do A+ quality work or make A+ quality products. It only means there haven’t been enough complaints filed against them to lower their grade. They have to understand that any serious complaints would have been resolved using the BBB's AJR policy or not even reported at all to the consumer. Complaints that would have lowered the BBB's rating for these paying client.

We learned the hard way. It cost us ten thousand dollars, the minimum it will take to restore the crap overhang that was given to us by a BBB A+ accredited company. Not to mention the year of hell we fought through to get a good roof put on! We encourage all consumers to help get the word out about what the BBB's A+ rating actually means, nothing. It truly is meaningless! That's why all people need to learn and understand the "BBB is a scam".

Like all customers you think the BBB is to protect you. Totally not the case. I filed a case against Lowe's last year in which Lowe's said their IT team was aware of the problem and they needed 3 months to look into it. Well after 3 months they still couldn't resolve and it's still to date not resolved. Well the BBB said they just can't keep the complaint open for that long but they'll reopen after January in the new year if not resolved. Well not only will they not reopen it but they told me to allow Lowe's more time. Which to me is ridiculous. And that it shouldn't affect their rating. To me it seems the business pays for their rating. They could care less about the customer.

I've dealt with the local BBB here for decades. The fact that companies pay money to the BBB in exchange for so-called accreditation creates a huge and inescapable conflict of interest. There have been quite a few investigations of the BBB (ABC 20/20, etc.) and the prevailing conclusion, including mine, is that the BBB is basically running a pay to play scheme. That is, these A+ (beyond reproach, no less) ratings are essentially "purchased" and used by businesses as "advertising".

The accreditation "routine" is just an elaborate smokescreen that both the BBB and the rated businesses hide behind. The average person is easily fooled by what is in essence a fake rating BECAUSE the average person doesn't bother doing their own INDEPENDENT due diligence or investigation of any of these A+ rated companies. But, over a period of DECADES, I have pulled the names of innumerable random BBB accredited companies and done detailed background checks. I have easily found very disturbing negative information on A+ rated companies during this exercise, a problem so extensive, and occurring over so many years, that it is obvious to me that the BBB conducts almost no MEANINGFUL due diligence on companies.

As a consequence of this pay to play scheme, BBB ratings are almost entirely unreliable. To create a usable ratings scheme the BBB would have to get the CORRUPTING influence of money out of ratings equation and obviously they are not so inclined because "selling" accreditation appears to be quite profitable for them. Selling accreditation also provides these businesses with complimentary fake ads, that is who wouldn't want to display an A+ on their "advertising". Eventually the BBB will disappear as we know from Bernie Madoff and others, no scam lasts forever.

Without a doubt, the BBB lets criminal businesses pay for A ratings. They will also wipe bad complaints from public eye and they let some business respond to your complaint in a private message so the public eye doesn't get to see it. They state it's for your protection!! LMAO!! What a crock!! I asked these criminals why my complaint about US Bank was erased, and they didn't give me an answer. The BBB consumer rep Laura told me just write a review to let the public see my complaint and I did this. And after you write a review, the BBB site will ask if your review was also a complaint filed, and if so, they won't post it. The BBB is a crooked site and needs to be banned from the internet.

Better Business Bureau/bbb.org Company Profile