1.28/5

151 Better Business Bureau/bbb.org Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I own a business in Virginia. I was contacted by the Better Business Bureau about a complaint. I explained that only one of these jobs were done by branching out tree service. Not the other two that the complainer was complaining about. No check was ever written to my company for these other two jobs and I was told to only respond to the job that I had done for my company. However they let the woman who was complaining put all these jobs on my company which is false. I had a lengthy conversation with the representative in details of how these were not my jobs that I had performed for this customer and yet they still let her post about the two jobs. Never was there a contract written between me and said customer or a check or any money exchanging hands for my services for these two other jobs. I am shocked by the Better Business Bureau.

I have always went to them to check on the other companies as a consumer. However since I have become a business owner and the tables were turned I have come to the realization that I would never be able to trust the Better Business Bureau when it comes to an honest complaint or review. I was shocked to learn that when I gave this representative the information that these were not my two jobs she informed the complainer that she should just write that she was told not to put the check in my business name and put it in someone’s personal name which is an absolute lie being my company did not even exist then.

I’m shocked and appalled. I came to this site to make a complaint against the Better Business Bureau itself and as I have read the other reviews I see exactly why things went the way they went money. As far as I’m concerned the Better Business Bureau should not give me a D+. They should give me a F- Because it is a fabricated review anyhow. And luckily anyone who does really sit and read it would be able to see right through it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was accredited for years with an A rating. NO ISSUES. My credit card expired as I was in the hospital. I get out and try to try to renew and it goes to an F RATING AND they jump me about their BBB logo - Which means ZERO ** today. I have an attorney filing suit for defamation - slander - etc. DO NOT TRUST THESE CLOWNS. They can't help you anyway.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The president of the BBB likes to threaten users because his staff is a bunch of little crybaby **! He thinks threatening users is okay. Well guess what? This is AMERICA not some 4th world country! I will not have some ** tell me what I can or can't say!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I brought in a brand new working Hoover vacuum that just needed the retractable cord fixed after obtaining a referral from Hoover customer service for the warranty repair. Tidewater Sew-Vac on Tidewater Drive kept my vacuum for over a month and after slicing the cord and removing the dust cup plate they returned it to me in that condition not working and then tells me it is not covered under warranty. After filing my first complaint with BBB the business responded that they did not do this to my vacuum which is a lie.

I submitted a second complaint to BBB saying that my problem was not resolved. I was returned a non working vacuum that I paid $180 for an only used a few times with parts missing and a sliced cord and could they please help me. BBB's response was that the case was closed and they would know that I was not happy and that's all they did. In other words they sided with the business who was completely lying about the damage they did to my brand new vacuum. Also included in second complaint were pictures of the damage done to my vacuum and still case closed with no resolution. The Better Business Bureau apparently is good for nothing as far as a customer getting ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I rate this company the worse company to deal with it. First and formal the company is a not a mortgage manage loan, is a wholesale broker that look for people to make money off, I should ask first. They are not here to help just to make money out of you. On a legal binding document from existing lender USAA, provide with quote for of the payoff specific amount were disclosure, now the funding were delay 4 days I find this add, they ask to pay extra $25.00 dollar to ensure the own funds to go to your bank, to avoid the title company still you money this add. Now on the legal binding document I have to come up with additional $2400 dollars, because they can't read quote, for certified accountant and loan officer.

I will not do business with this company, I am disappointed with the entire process. Think for one second that you finance your house and 16 day later you find one that the loan is been rejected by your existing bank and not you have two loan or obligation for the existing house and funds were deposit into your account and pay off debts. And letter in the mail that your existing loan is on defaults. The stress that this company place on me was about and beyond. I rate this company the worse, don't do anything with them, trust me, they loan shard and then the very next day your loan was sold to another company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Business Bureau/bbb.org?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I filed a complaint about a local large corporation. I have dealt with other BBB's over the years and never had a problem getting my situation handled. After I filed the complaint, I received an email stating they had received it and would send it to the company for a response. The company finally responded and I received an email stating to go to the link of my complaint to read it. I did so. I responded back and that's when all communication with the BBB ended. Over a period of about 1.5 weeks, I sent three emails to the second rep who had contacted me (for some reason not explained, there were two reps involved in my case) and ALL went ignored. I finally filed a complaint AGAINST THE BBB and sent it in, just like any other.

Miraculously, they received it and I got a call from the rep who quickly proved how either incompetent she was, or how new she was. I spoke with her supervisor and sent her copies of all correspondences. She, of course, had to pass it on to a fourth person, who I then received an email from the following week (professionalism at this stage of the game dictates a phone call - duh). She did not address any of my concerns over their corrupt ways except one and it was a lame excuse as to why, supposedly, my emails never got to them. I then replied back to her ridiculous email stating how clearly corrupt and unscrupulous their office was and how worthless her email had been.

Suddenly a few days later I received a CALL from the head honcho himself. Well, he also unknowingly clarified for me why the office is the way it is; as I've always said, everything starts at the top. It has been one full week since the call and I have not heard boo from anyone in that office nor do I expect to. And it was very clear during our call that I would hear something back from the head honcho. I have left negative reviews in several places about this office as well as continuing to leave negative reviews about the shoe company in Manhattan Beach that does not stand behind their products (and then pays schmucks like this to get rid of complaints).

UPDATED 9/18/2018:

After sending the third email asking if they had received my previous correspondence, I reread their first email to me and clicked on the link to my case. I learned from that that they had closed my case!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

BBB is a complete scam. Do NOT bother as they only are there to make money for themselves. I’m in Norfolk Virginia and the local BBB branch refuses to post the complaint and still shows the business as A+ even though they have 239 negative reviews and 14 positive.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

The internet is my primary way to communicate with potential clients. I needed the logo featuring my A+ rating to be able to be added to my Gmail account. I pay $51/ month to be affiliated with BBB. 7 months into this I STILL cannot load the badge that identifies my company as A+ rated!! They are slow to respond if at all to emails and worse for phone calls. If I ran my own company this way, I would be out of business. BBB is not the company I grew up admiring. They have lost all credibility in my perception. I would not recommend paying for your rating if you are invited to do so. Look carefully at how a potential client will navigate their site to reach you. It is bulky and requires a significant time to populate your info on their site. I have already spent the time and money creating my website. I want a quick and easy link to it for potential clients. I have cancelled my membership. I received 0 business from my relationship with BBB. Very disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Complained to BBB about a company's lack of customer service. Pretty much no different what many would complain about. Trash company won't pick up bulk even though it was within their guidelines and multiple calls and approved orders for pick up. Now I'm a tenant but help my landlord since he is older and doesn't know lick about the internet, so I help him often to do things on it. After some fighting with trash company, they decide that their best course was just tell us 'no, driver doesn't feel like picking up any bulk. Oh well. Stop leaving it out.'

So naturally, I went to the BBB in hopes this will help us. No, no it didn't. Nothing was solved, trash company keeps being lazy nobodies and then BBB sends me a letter stating that since I am a tenant, I have no say how a company should run its business. So now I'm here to let everyone know that BBB pretty much states that if you are a tenant or rent in general, you ain't allowed to have basic human rights to proper services??? It shouldn't matter if I rent. My money is going to those services. Brava to BBB for going back to the Victorian ages on human rights.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

BBB resolution department is a big joke. I filed a complaint and basically they sent the complaint to the company and allowed them to response, then me, then the company and they closed the complaint. A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME FOR THEM TO DO NOTHING! BBB never asked for proof, contract, pictures, etc. STOP PAYING THEM MEMBERSHIP FEES FOR DOING NOTHING!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

BBB exist to hustle businesses for money to get an A+ rating. A consumer can file a complaint which would lose in court of law easily against a business and the BBB will in a visual sense hang a revoke sign on past business info as though they are a criminal. Without any investigation but only on the word of the consumer a company is blackballed by vindictive consumers. Who is the BBB to think they are licensed arbitrators and that by submitting opinions from consumers. Have multiple businesses and will never become member at BBB again. And to add insult to injury though we are no longer members consumers can still file complaint if they are just pissed about something. In the society we live in today it is unfair to legit businesses that the BBB supposedly sacred data is somehow trustworthy, when in reality is many times commits of embittered consumers trying to punish the business.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We filed a complaint with the BBB against a contractor who took our money, tried to extort more money and walked off the job with no warning when we HAD A CLEAR, LEGAL, SIGNED CONTRACT. We mistakenly thought the BBB was there to help people in similar circumstance, but as most say here, "Boy were we wrong." After several weeks, the BBB closed the case doing NOTHING despite irrefutable documentary proof that we supplied. It was obvious that they just wait a while and then send one of their form 'blah blah' letters.

Now, we are trying to leave a review of the business and mysteriously we keep getting a pop up message on their site saying our review "cannot be saved" and to "try again", we've tried dozens of times but it won't publish. Again, we have all the proof showing that we were legitimate customers of the business and that they signed a legally binding contract and every email communication that transpired after. The BBB most assuredly is NOT interested in honestly protecting or serving the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was in the process of buying a new car. The dealer insisted I sign an arbitration agreement. I read it and found out the arbitrator would be selected by the BBB. The dealer is a client of the BBB. The dealer pays the BBB and the BBB selects the arbitrator to rule "fairly" in a dispute involving the dealer. It's very unlikely the BBB is going to choose arbitrator who rule against the people who are paying them!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am currently trying to work with the BBB of Central Florida to resolve a long-standing complaint I have with a local roofing contractor. I opened the complaint in May 2017. I did so thinking the BBB was truly concerned with helping consumers by providing unbiased information about companies upon which consumers could then make informed hiring decisions, and by providing an impartial third-party forum to resolve disputes. Boy, was I wrong! It was not until after we had hired a roofing contractor in New Smyrna Beach, FL and in the end getting scammed that it came to my attention that the BBB is mostly a fraud.

We were in a bind after Hurricane Matthew left a big hole in our shingle roof. The first company we could get to come out was Sun Coast Roofing. Long story short, we signed a contract with them to install a metal roofing system, materials to be specifically provided by a Florida metal roofing manufacturer, Gulf Coast Supply and Manufacturing. Sun Coast Roofing did NOT use the contracted materials in completing the work but instead used materials that at this point, 16 months after the installation was completed, we still don't know what metals were put on our home. And to boot, Sun Coast indicated that the roofing system we were sold would have a 30 year warranty on materials. We came to learn after the fact that due to our location very near to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (AIW), a salt water exclusion in Gulf Coast's warranty would have voided any manufacturer's guarantee of materials from day one.

So thinking that the BBB was the place to start trying to get relief, we filed a complaint against Sun Coast. The complaint went on for about 3 weeks with the VP of the company and me going back and forth - the VP trying hard to convince me this was all the result of one of his employees simply trying to give us better service by unilaterally ignoring the contract and ordering materials from some other metal roof manufacturer (again, to this time 16 months later, still unidentified).

The VP admitted his company did not use the contracted materials and offered 3 options as remedies, none of which would have given us the fully warranted roof we paid $25,600 for. He and others at Sun Coast repeatedly stonewalled us when we asked for information crucial for us to understand exactly what happened. We rejected his offers, one that included a $4,000 refund. The BBB ended up closing the case with some curious comments which indicated that WE were the ones to blame for not arriving at a settlement. This was the first clue we had that maybe the BBB wasn't everything we thought it was.

We then filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General who forwarded it to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). They investigated the case for several months and in the end advised us via letter there was insufficient evidence to support a negative finding or action against Sun Coast. Also in the letter were several statements advising us to the effect that the finding should not be construed that we did not have a valid civil case and "urged" to hire a lawyer and pursue the matter in the civil courts.

Not wanting to go through the expense of a protracted legal battle and after trying to open a negotiation with Sun Coast to possibly arrive at a satisfactory monetary settlement, we went back to the BBB and tried to open a new case, which they denied. They did instead reopen the May 2017 and then immediately offered us binding arbitration, which we immediately accepted. We were surprised they skipped right over mediation to arbitration but went ahead anyhow because we just want our 16 month nightmare with Sun Coast - and now the BBB - to end.

It should be noted that Sun Coast Roofing of New Smyrna Beach, FL currently has 24 complaints in their 3 year file (not counting ours, which has mysteriously disappeared) and 6 negative reviews. Yet they still have an A+ BBB rating. We also found out that Sun Coast Roofing was placed on probation by DBPR in June of 2018, yet they STILL enjoy an A+ BBB rating at last check today. Contrast that with the other two large roofers in our area, and the both of them have 1 or 2 complaints and negative reviews between them to support their A+ ratings.

The binding arbitration process is becoming another debacle. The BBB provided us a nice package which outlined how their arbitrations are conducted. We had to sign an arbitration agreement which was prepared by the BBB based on information both we and the company provided. They gave both the parties a draft with the instructions that we were being given the opportunity to make minor corrections and edits, but should not view this as an opportunity to start trying to make our respective cases after seeing what the others' case was based on. The person preparing the agreement pretty much wrote our side of the case as we had submitted it and we had no edits. The company however, took the opportunity to double the original space required to state their initial case and added several new aspects to their case.

When I asked the customer service manager at the BBB why the business was allowed to disregard the rules, she got really snippy and replied with something to the effect - "if you didn't agree with the edited agreement, you shouldn't have signed it." This person and I have had discussions before, mainly about how Sun Coast can maintain an A+ rating and her explanations rang pretty hollow then, so this wasn't much of a surprise. And so much for a level playing field.

Then we got curious and started to dig into how the BBB is funded. I don't know what I was thinking previously - maybe that they got their funds through grants, foundations, endowments etc, kind of like PBS - but when I found out most of their income is derived by dues paid by accredited businesses, the picture got a lot clearer. Stories about the differences in ratings between companies that pony up and those who don't are pretty easy to come by on the net, and many from very reliable sources.

Original review: July 31, 2018

The subject says it all. In an attempt to locate the actual physical address for the company DexYP, a yellow page scam occurring across the country, we found their company listed with the BBB. It had 121 customer reviews, 118 OF THEM NEGATIVE, and the BBB in Texas rated their company at A+! This renders the rating serviced of the BBB USELESS!!! When we attempted to write another review using their on-line link to do so, the link simply continued to load the same page. IT DID NOT ALLOW US TO. When we called to tell them the site was broken, a RUDE BBB representative told us there was "nothing she could do about that." Period! The BBB IS NOT what it claims to be!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I filed a complaint with BBB about a "handyman" who told me he would show up on particular days and never did show on the dates that he set, so I would call him, reschedule, and he never showed up to finish work - I stupidly gave him a deposit. Anyway, I asked him for a new invoice for work completed and a refund of the balance. Never received a new invoice, received a refund a few weeks later, but I knew I was overcharged. I complained to BBB, and after speaking with business owner, BBB closed the case with no resolution. I am guessing the business owner portrayed me as a hysterical female. Anyway, I finally figured out how to get my invoice online and I was charged for work not done by the handyman. Pitiful work by BBB - no resolution, but they closed case, taking business owners' side. I guess I will file with my state's attorney general, as BBB is a joke.

Original review: July 23, 2018

No response from the BBB after submitting a complaint about another company. It would be nice to get some kind of feedback from them regarding the complaint. Was it accepted or not accepted. That is only common courtesy to let a person know the status of their complaint.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Submitted a complaint about constant, illegal spamming by Power PR in Torrance. Power PR promised to stop spamming me (although it appears they haven't actually stopped). BBB closed the complaint and these guys got to keep their A+ rating.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I submitted a complaint to this company and I was unable to log in. It kept saying my email is invalid but I kept receiving emails. I received another email today, and all of a sudden I could login only to find out that it was closed out due to no response. They never gave me a chance to respond and then I emailed Stephanie **, and she still said it was closed out. This is the BBB in New Jersey.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We had a mechanic who not only did not repair our transmission, but our air conditioner no longer worked once we got it out of the shop. After phone calls that were ignored, we finally wrote a complaint on the BBB site. The mechanic did restore our air conditioning and tighten up the tranny. We are grateful to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I had a very bad experience with LeafFilter which continues to today. I reported them to the BBB since their product doesn’t work and they have a lifetime warranty that they haven’t supported. The product overflows water constantly. The BBB closed out my complaint and left LeafFilter with an A+ rating. They are protecting the company and not consumers.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was reviewing a business on the Better Business Bureau's website (bbb.org) & found that the institution I was reviewing had 822 customer reviews of which 547 are customer complaints and yet the organization maintains an A+ rating!!?? I called BBB & spoke with a customer service rep & she indicated that customer negative reviews do not affect a business rating only complaints do. This business has a total of 541 customer complaints & they have A+ rating. When I went to school & got over 50% wrong my teacher didn't give me an A+!!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

After submitting clear evidence of fraud and abuse including receipts by a moving company I dealt with recently, I am shocked this company not only maintains its BBB accreditation but also its A+ rating. I will never rely on the Better Business Bureau again when deciding whether a business is credible and reliable.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have submitted a few customer reviews as well as complaints to the respective Better Business Bureau (BBB) in response to businesses which I have had negative experiences with. I am dissatisfied as to the manner in which they choose to deal with my complaints. It is understandable that consumer submit reviews to BBB because consumers are angry and would like to vent their frustration constructively and given that would no longer wish to be contacting or contacted by the businesses again. Therefore the information given to BBB is strictly confidential and ends when the reviews are submitted and published.

Rather than being allowed to write a review and have it published, BBB has contacted those businesses to redirect the issue back to me, as BBB functions more like a goal keeper. After which, I have to assert myself in seeking for another fresh resolution... I was under the impression that only reviews which seek a resolution will require the BBB to function as an intermediary and not those who have clearly stated that no contact from the company is required? Since when has BBB assume to themselves the prerogative right for acting on behalf of businesses?

One specific BBB has done nothing but refuse to publish my reviews on two separate occasions explaining that the review which was submitted came with incomplete personal identification. This particular one took it upon themselves the given entitlement by creating a side story claiming that I had said certain things during a one to one telephone conversation. The most recent response which came from them saw to it that the business located in another state requesting me to call them back at their regular hours instead of having the local representative call me the first thing in the morning.

Original review: May 15, 2018

BBB is nothing but a message board that takes no involvement in the issues. As a business owner they will let your competition post against you and do nothing about it if you prove it to be a false review. As a consumer they hardly make any attempt to even contact the company. Complete waste of everyone's time. They are nothing but a organization companies can pay to buy an A+ rating for advertising. Don't waste your time as they won't waste theirs unless you're cutting a check to them. We had them publish libel about us and claim they can't remove it. We are in the process of filing a lawsuit so at least maybe a consumer or a business may get some fair treatment from this company that makes money off extortion of business that don't pay their ransom or consumers that actually have a legitimate complaint.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Yesterday I got a call from BBB representative to "finish" an application that my husband started. I asked them to call back in an hour. In exactly an hour they did call 4 times in a row before I answered it. To get approved they only asked what kind of work we do and why do we think we stand out from other companies. And of course they asked for a debit/credit card info right away. No terms or conditions were explained, they just said once we are approved then they will charge us specific amount. ($52 per month, $600 a year) When I said I do not have any cards with me right now, they became less interested, never called back (promised to call in 45 min) and never sent an email with their information, later that day I read reviews and complaints filed against BBB. Please do your research before submitting any payment information!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I can use a password manager to fill in the forms, and the process at least makes the company reply or get dinged. But after they closed case ** as "AJR" after the company made no attempt to address their documented violations of California law - §12024.2 and §12024.6 of the B&P code (AKA BPC §12024), I can't give 'em more than 2 stars. eBay charged me $11.74 for a $4 item, $35.96 for $12 of items. (Also violates federal law).

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am a member of the Lexington BBB mainly because they are inexpensive advertisement, however they do engage in very unfair business activities. They allow bad reviews for businesses where no work has been done, no contracts signed and no money changed hands.

Original review: April 6, 2018

It is disappointing to see how many complaints and negativity there is about BBB. The Bureau of Better Business virtues and qualities should be complimented out loud for The Better Business Bureau is one of the best entities that exists as a resource for the customer for its reviews are official and they do count. There is a lot of misinterpretation and myths about the Better Business Bureau and the public should not have unrealistic expectations for BBB is not there to change the world by magic or solve every single issue that it is presented to it.

Businesses and companies are required to verify if the reviewer or complainer is an actual customer and only real and authentic customers are allowed to review. This is something outstanding because it means that not just anyone can decide to go and submit a review or complaint just because they want to. Unlike, the google reviews where anyone can post whatever they want but those google reviews do not have a lot of weight in reality. If a business or company challenges that the individual is a customer then the customer can show some type of proof and BBB will post the customer's experience in spite of the business or company's challenges.

The public is to understand that although BBB does publish extreme negative reviews; those negative reviews do not count towards the letter grade of a business - what does count towards the letter grade of a business are complaints - how the company handles them and responds to them. Those are the rules of BBB whether the public agrees or not.

BBB's reviews and complaints are analyzed so if there is overly threatening language or the review or complaint is irrealist then BBB will not publish it. BBB does not accept reviews or complaints that are part of litigations but cases already solved can be referenced. BBB does oversee business and companies and services and they are required to give explanation of their actions. However, BBB does not prosecute nor it represents wronged customers in court. BBB is acts more as an impartial messenger of news and facts.

Customers do not realize that they are not going to change anything by calling the business and complaining or by posting a review here and there in sites like facebook or google. However, anything submitted to BBB and that is approved - it does have value and it can change things and situations. The reality is that the Bureau of Better Business is on the people's side rather than being on the side of corporations and businesses.

Original review: March 20, 2018

BBB assigns A+ grade to Nationwide Insurance when they have a 95% dissatisfaction overall compounded. That is a F-. 94 negative reviews with 3 positive reviews doesn't make an A+. The correct grade should be an F- but with the BBB's accreditation program a company can evidently pay for a passing grade.

Nationwide Insurance CEO and chairs are listed on ripoff report as liars.

Better Business Bureau/bbb.org Company Information