1.42/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

139 Better Business Bureau/bbb.org Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was in the process of buying a new car. The dealer insisted I sign an arbitration agreement. I read it and found out the arbitrator would be selected by the BBB. The dealer is a client of the BBB. The dealer pays the BBB and the BBB selects the arbitrator to rule "fairly" in a dispute involving the dealer. It's very unlikely the BBB is going to choose arbitrator who rule against the people who are paying them!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am currently trying to work with the BBB of Central Florida to resolve a long-standing complaint I have with a local roofing contractor. I opened the complaint in May 2017. I did so thinking the BBB was truly concerned with helping consumers by providing unbiased information about companies upon which consumers could then make informed hiring decisions, and by providing an impartial third-party forum to resolve disputes. Boy, was I wrong! It was not until after we had hired a roofing contractor in New Smyrna Beach, FL and in the end getting scammed that it came to my attention that the BBB is mostly a fraud.

We were in a bind after Hurricane Matthew left a big hole in our shingle roof. The first company we could get to come out was Sun Coast Roofing. Long story short, we signed a contract with them to install a metal roofing system, materials to be specifically provided by a Florida metal roofing manufacturer, Gulf Coast Supply and Manufacturing. Sun Coast Roofing did NOT use the contracted materials in completing the work but instead used materials that at this point, 16 months after the installation was completed, we still don't know what metals were put on our home. And to boot, Sun Coast indicated that the roofing system we were sold would have a 30 year warranty on materials. We came to learn after the fact that due to our location very near to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (AIW), a salt water exclusion in Gulf Coast's warranty would have voided any manufacturer's guarantee of materials from day one.

So thinking that the BBB was the place to start trying to get relief, we filed a complaint against Sun Coast. The complaint went on for about 3 weeks with the VP of the company and me going back and forth - the VP trying hard to convince me this was all the result of one of his employees simply trying to give us better service by unilaterally ignoring the contract and ordering materials from some other metal roof manufacturer (again, to this time 16 months later, still unidentified).

The VP admitted his company did not use the contracted materials and offered 3 options as remedies, none of which would have given us the fully warranted roof we paid $25,600 for. He and others at Sun Coast repeatedly stonewalled us when we asked for information crucial for us to understand exactly what happened. We rejected his offers, one that included a $4,000 refund. The BBB ended up closing the case with some curious comments which indicated that WE were the ones to blame for not arriving at a settlement. This was the first clue we had that maybe the BBB wasn't everything we thought it was.

We then filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General who forwarded it to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). They investigated the case for several months and in the end advised us via letter there was insufficient evidence to support a negative finding or action against Sun Coast. Also in the letter were several statements advising us to the effect that the finding should not be construed that we did not have a valid civil case and "urged" to hire a lawyer and pursue the matter in the civil courts.

Not wanting to go through the expense of a protracted legal battle and after trying to open a negotiation with Sun Coast to possibly arrive at a satisfactory monetary settlement, we went back to the BBB and tried to open a new case, which they denied. They did instead reopen the May 2017 and then immediately offered us binding arbitration, which we immediately accepted. We were surprised they skipped right over mediation to arbitration but went ahead anyhow because we just want our 16 month nightmare with Sun Coast - and now the BBB - to end.

It should be noted that Sun Coast Roofing of New Smyrna Beach, FL currently has 24 complaints in their 3 year file (not counting ours, which has mysteriously disappeared) and 6 negative reviews. Yet they still have an A+ BBB rating. We also found out that Sun Coast Roofing was placed on probation by DBPR in June of 2018, yet they STILL enjoy an A+ BBB rating at last check today. Contrast that with the other two large roofers in our area, and the both of them have 1 or 2 complaints and negative reviews between them to support their A+ ratings.

The binding arbitration process is becoming another debacle. The BBB provided us a nice package which outlined how their arbitrations are conducted. We had to sign an arbitration agreement which was prepared by the BBB based on information both we and the company provided. They gave both the parties a draft with the instructions that we were being given the opportunity to make minor corrections and edits, but should not view this as an opportunity to start trying to make our respective cases after seeing what the others' case was based on. The person preparing the agreement pretty much wrote our side of the case as we had submitted it and we had no edits. The company however, took the opportunity to double the original space required to state their initial case and added several new aspects to their case.

When I asked the customer service manager at the BBB why the business was allowed to disregard the rules, she got really snippy and replied with something to the effect - "if you didn't agree with the edited agreement, you shouldn't have signed it." This person and I have had discussions before, mainly about how Sun Coast can maintain an A+ rating and her explanations rang pretty hollow then, so this wasn't much of a surprise. And so much for a level playing field.

Then we got curious and started to dig into how the BBB is funded. I don't know what I was thinking previously - maybe that they got their funds through grants, foundations, endowments etc, kind of like PBS - but when I found out most of their income is derived by dues paid by accredited businesses, the picture got a lot clearer. Stories about the differences in ratings between companies that pony up and those who don't are pretty easy to come by on the net, and many from very reliable sources.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2018

The subject says it all. In an attempt to locate the actual physical address for the company DexYP, a yellow page scam occurring across the country, we found their company listed with the BBB. It had 121 customer reviews, 118 OF THEM NEGATIVE, and the BBB in Texas rated their company at A+! This renders the rating serviced of the BBB USELESS!!! When we attempted to write another review using their on-line link to do so, the link simply continued to load the same page. IT DID NOT ALLOW US TO. When we called to tell them the site was broken, a RUDE BBB representative told us there was "nothing she could do about that." Period! The BBB IS NOT what it claims to be!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I filed a complaint with BBB about a "handyman" who told me he would show up on particular days and never did show on the dates that he set, so I would call him, reschedule, and he never showed up to finish work - I stupidly gave him a deposit. Anyway, I asked him for a new invoice for work completed and a refund of the balance. Never received a new invoice, received a refund a few weeks later, but I knew I was overcharged. I complained to BBB, and after speaking with business owner, BBB closed the case with no resolution. I am guessing the business owner portrayed me as a hysterical female. Anyway, I finally figured out how to get my invoice online and I was charged for work not done by the handyman. Pitiful work by BBB - no resolution, but they closed case, taking business owners' side. I guess I will file with my state's attorney general, as BBB is a joke.

Original review: July 23, 2018

No response from the BBB after submitting a complaint about another company. It would be nice to get some kind of feedback from them regarding the complaint. Was it accepted or not accepted. That is only common courtesy to let a person know the status of their complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Business Bureau/bbb.org?

Original review: July 14, 2018

Submitted a complaint about constant, illegal spamming by Power PR in Torrance. Power PR promised to stop spamming me (although it appears they haven't actually stopped). BBB closed the complaint and these guys got to keep their A+ rating.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I submitted a complaint to this company and I was unable to log in. It kept saying my email is invalid but I kept receiving emails. I received another email today, and all of a sudden I could login only to find out that it was closed out due to no response. They never gave me a chance to respond and then I emailed Stephanie **, and she still said it was closed out. This is the BBB in New Jersey.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We had a mechanic who not only did not repair our transmission, but our air conditioner no longer worked once we got it out of the shop. After phone calls that were ignored, we finally wrote a complaint on the BBB site. The mechanic did restore our air conditioning and tighten up the tranny. We are grateful to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I had a very bad experience with LeafFilter which continues to today. I reported them to the BBB since their product doesn’t work and they have a lifetime warranty that they haven’t supported. The product overflows water constantly. The BBB closed out my complaint and left LeafFilter with an A+ rating. They are protecting the company and not consumers.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was reviewing a business on the Better Business Bureau's website (bbb.org) & found that the institution I was reviewing had 822 customer reviews of which 547 are customer complaints and yet the organization maintains an A+ rating!!?? I called BBB & spoke with a customer service rep & she indicated that customer negative reviews do not affect a business rating only complaints do. This business has a total of 541 customer complaints & they have A+ rating. When I went to school & got over 50% wrong my teacher didn't give me an A+!!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

After submitting clear evidence of fraud and abuse including receipts by a moving company I dealt with recently, I am shocked this company not only maintains its BBB accreditation but also its A+ rating. I will never rely on the Better Business Bureau again when deciding whether a business is credible and reliable.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have submitted a few customer reviews as well as complaints to the respective Better Business Bureau (BBB) in response to businesses which I have had negative experiences with. I am dissatisfied as to the manner in which they choose to deal with my complaints. It is understandable that consumer submit reviews to BBB because consumers are angry and would like to vent their frustration constructively and given that would no longer wish to be contacting or contacted by the businesses again. Therefore the information given to BBB is strictly confidential and ends when the reviews are submitted and published.

Rather than being allowed to write a review and have it published, BBB has contacted those businesses to redirect the issue back to me, as BBB functions more like a goal keeper. After which, I have to assert myself in seeking for another fresh resolution... I was under the impression that only reviews which seek a resolution will require the BBB to function as an intermediary and not those who have clearly stated that no contact from the company is required? Since when has BBB assume to themselves the prerogative right for acting on behalf of businesses?

One specific BBB has done nothing but refuse to publish my reviews on two separate occasions explaining that the review which was submitted came with incomplete personal identification. This particular one took it upon themselves the given entitlement by creating a side story claiming that I had said certain things during a one to one telephone conversation. The most recent response which came from them saw to it that the business located in another state requesting me to call them back at their regular hours instead of having the local representative call me the first thing in the morning.

Original review: May 15, 2018

BBB is nothing but a message board that takes no involvement in the issues. As a business owner they will let your competition post against you and do nothing about it if you prove it to be a false review. As a consumer they hardly make any attempt to even contact the company. Complete waste of everyone's time. They are nothing but a organization companies can pay to buy an A+ rating for advertising. Don't waste your time as they won't waste theirs unless you're cutting a check to them. We had them publish libel about us and claim they can't remove it. We are in the process of filing a lawsuit so at least maybe a consumer or a business may get some fair treatment from this company that makes money off extortion of business that don't pay their ransom or consumers that actually have a legitimate complaint.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Yesterday I got a call from BBB representative to "finish" an application that my husband started. I asked them to call back in an hour. In exactly an hour they did call 4 times in a row before I answered it. To get approved they only asked what kind of work we do and why do we think we stand out from other companies. And of course they asked for a debit/credit card info right away. No terms or conditions were explained, they just said once we are approved then they will charge us specific amount. ($52 per month, $600 a year) When I said I do not have any cards with me right now, they became less interested, never called back (promised to call in 45 min) and never sent an email with their information, later that day I read reviews and complaints filed against BBB. Please do your research before submitting any payment information!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I can use a password manager to fill in the forms, and the process at least makes the company reply or get dinged. But after they closed case ** as "AJR" after the company made no attempt to address their documented violations of California law - §12024.2 and §12024.6 of the B&P code (AKA BPC §12024), I can't give 'em more than 2 stars. eBay charged me $11.74 for a $4 item, $35.96 for $12 of items. (Also violates federal law).

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am a member of the Lexington BBB mainly because they are inexpensive advertisement, however they do engage in very unfair business activities. They allow bad reviews for businesses where no work has been done, no contracts signed and no money changed hands.

Original review: April 6, 2018

It is disappointing to see how many complaints and negativity there is about BBB. The Bureau of Better Business virtues and qualities should be complimented out loud for The Better Business Bureau is one of the best entities that exists as a resource for the customer for its reviews are official and they do count. There is a lot of misinterpretation and myths about the Better Business Bureau and the public should not have unrealistic expectations for BBB is not there to change the world by magic or solve every single issue that it is presented to it.

Businesses and companies are required to verify if the reviewer or complainer is an actual customer and only real and authentic customers are allowed to review. This is something outstanding because it means that not just anyone can decide to go and submit a review or complaint just because they want to. Unlike, the google reviews where anyone can post whatever they want but those google reviews do not have a lot of weight in reality. If a business or company challenges that the individual is a customer then the customer can show some type of proof and BBB will post the customer's experience in spite of the business or company's challenges.

The public is to understand that although BBB does publish extreme negative reviews; those negative reviews do not count towards the letter grade of a business - what does count towards the letter grade of a business are complaints - how the company handles them and responds to them. Those are the rules of BBB whether the public agrees or not.

BBB's reviews and complaints are analyzed so if there is overly threatening language or the review or complaint is irrealist then BBB will not publish it. BBB does not accept reviews or complaints that are part of litigations but cases already solved can be referenced. BBB does oversee business and companies and services and they are required to give explanation of their actions. However, BBB does not prosecute nor it represents wronged customers in court. BBB is acts more as an impartial messenger of news and facts.

Customers do not realize that they are not going to change anything by calling the business and complaining or by posting a review here and there in sites like facebook or google. However, anything submitted to BBB and that is approved - it does have value and it can change things and situations. The reality is that the Bureau of Better Business is on the people's side rather than being on the side of corporations and businesses.

Original review: March 20, 2018 BBB assigns A+ grade to Nationwide Insurance when they have a 95% dissatisfaction overall compounded. That is a F-. 94 negative reviews with 3 positive reviews doesn't make an A+. The correct grade should be an F- but with the BBB's accreditation program a company can evidently pay for a passing grade.

Nationwide Insurance CEO and chairs are listed on ripoff report as liars.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I went to the BBB website to file a complaint against a business that has been double-charging me on an auto payment for nearly 2 years. I had documentation of both the error and their refusal to make it right. Initially, I felt confident because the BBB had given this company an A+ and there was something there about all claims having been settled satisfactorily. So I submitted my claim, then just casually began perusing the other claims against the company and the reviews posted by other consumers. What I noticed immediately was that there were several claims very similar to mine, and of the 40+ complaints against this company only ONE was solved to the satisfaction of the customer.

While I had initially observed that it said in big type that the consumer review rating was 100%.The explanation of this rating stated that it represented the consumer view of the business, based on ratings. I now looked a little closer. There were 5 published reviews on that page. ALL were negative (and marked as such by the BBB). So how is it possible for the consumer view of the company to result in a score of 100%? The composite score - that is, consumer ratings along with BBB staff ratings, was 3.5 out of 5 stars. Again: Huh? Even if that were true: how does it get them an A+? A 3.5 is a B at best, I would think.

I carefully read the information on their grading algorithm, which stated that the business responding in a satisfactory way WHETHER OR NOT THE CONSUMER WAS SATISFIED was part of their criteria. I understand that some consumers may have unreasonable expectations. But only one person out of 46 expressed satisfaction, and even then, only after involving PayPal in the case. So I guess all the stories about the BBB selling grades are real. I am not expecting any resolution on my complaint. I now have even more reservations and complaints about the BBB than I did about the company I originally corresponded with them about.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I filed a complaint with BBB on a company that scammed me for 20,000 and the BBB not only won't post it but won't show one filed. There are more complaints filed against this company but none are shown but this company had postings after my complaint from 18 yrs ago and one that was 9 yrs ago that don't comply with BBB rules show up. Totally do not rely on anything from the BBB. They are not there for the consumer at all.

Original review: March 4, 2018

My company, Blue Dot Landscaping, paid BBB $400 per year in the misguided thought that they would help our business in that we are honest, hardworking, and high quality. In fact, BBB is a corrupt organization that will give high ratings to those that pay, and low ratings to those that will not.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I manage an Environmental Professionals Training School nationwide, we were established in 2007 and we have had 7 alleged complaints in 12 years of good business working as a governmental contractor. If we don't respond and pay them $475.00 fee they will automatically give your business an F ratings based on an alleged complaint, they have no jurisdiction over our company with less than 1 complaint a year, this racketeering & blackmailing tactics must stop, ** the Better Business Bureau organization.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I had to stop working for a client because they were creating a financial burden to my company. When I decided to let the client go, I offered a refund even though I was under no obligation and suggested that they find another company to help them. The client's abuse of my time got worse, they made more unreasonable demands and threatened to 'file a complaint' with the BBB if I did not agree to keep working for them with their unreasonable demands. Long story short, I provided a refund with my best wishes for their future success. About a month later, I received phone calls and emails from BBB demanding I respond to the weird accusations from my past client that I had refunded - the client's complaint was a new story to me; they claimed they demanded a refund and I never provided the refund. I shared my experience with the client and offered to provide proof of all I state here, but the BBB was not interested in that.

About a month later I received phone calls from BBB with a special "Invite Only" offer to become a member of the BBB and the sales tactics on the phone call and in the email were high pressure enough that I became leary that the BBB must be a scam because the BBB phone call was pressuring me to become a member quickly, right now before the BBB invite would be removed. I demanded they send me an email with the details so I could have time to think about the BBB invite only offer. I got an email with instructions to pay for the invite only membership. I looked at the BBB website mentioned in the invite and noticed that anyone can become a member at anytime without an invite. So I searched the BBB website to see what it was all about and found that the past client mentioned above - with their false accusations about the refund I offered and provided were on the BBB website as a negative story about my small company.

The BBB salesperson sent me more emails with high pressure sales tactics, phoned me and demanded to know why I would choose to not send money to the BBB immediately. The BBB sounds and smells like a high pressure sales scam with zero benefits to my company or anyone else. The BBB looks like a scam that people and groups use to threaten and harm small companies such as mine. I refuse to send money to the BBB and the BBB continues to create and host false stories about my company on their website while demanding I pay them to stop or correct the false stories they are posting about my company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Better Business Bureau, why does Cigna have a rating of A+, when clearly they are messing with people's livelihoods? They are not doctors, but are over-riding doctors' assessments for patients who need their help. Why are they a BETTER BUSINESS, in the eyes of your BUREAUCRACY??? Perhaps they paid you off, because many of us know that Cigna is run by ** and anybody who claims that this is an A+ (by BBB) would be questionable... Maybe there are some audits that need to be done to see that they operate as thieves. Any help would be great!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

BBB doesn’t Practice their own standards they set force with there customers. They are very unprofessional to say the least. When a Company becomes accredited with them they took your money and do not reply to issues at hand. This company is well known for allowing any Joe Blow to post whatever they feel with no proof whatsoever to businesses profiles that pay BBB to assist them. They have a standard that states when someone post concerning their business that the other party has the chance to give response before posting and this is absolutely untrue on BBB part.

BBB isn’t a fair Company as they're just out to take your money. I have personally emailed and after a month just a follow up as they state communication is key when responding yet they can’t even practice what they preach. I can seriously write and make up a review on a business and they would post it on that business for the world to see without any proof or to allow the Company to show proof or even respond. BBB isn’t even accredited and is 1.2 stars out of 5 stars. BBB allows others to slander your Company without documents to back up their claim. I would advise for anyone to stay away from this Company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Recently I had a consumer complaint relating to an incident with a dry cleaning business in East Boston. I took the complaint to the BBB, but I will have to say: the experience left me asking: "What is the point of the BBB?" There is no settlement of the difference that you have with a business if the business disputes the complaint: So what is the point? All the business owner has to do is deny the complaint and the case is closed by the BBB. This is not a real system to seek redress if you have a complaint.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I am a real estate appraiser. I appraised a property in a nearby town that I am very familiar with and have appraised numerous properties in my 20+ years of commercial and residential appraisal experience. This particular client was hoping for a high value on an old 1950's style one-story motel that had been partially renovated (New roof and a very nicely appointed and completely renovated unattached apartment for the proprietor), the rooms did not have any new improvements or renovations at all.

Most properties in the immediate area were impacted by a number of tornados that devastated the town in 2011. The proprietor was hoping that the value of his property would be higher so he could complete a bridge loan and buy another hotel in the area, but the whole deal was contingent on the appraised value. The numbers (occupancy) the owner had provided were questionable as he indicated a high occupancy equal to much nicer hotels in the area and the parking lot was always empty even on busy weekends during college football season, I drove by this property for years and always thought it was odd.

The appraisal was lower than the owner had anticipated and the bridge loan did not get approved. The owner took to the web to lash out in anger even though I informed him that he could file a complaint with the State Appraisal Board, I provided their number and address, as well as the option of paying another appraiser for an independent review of my report or perhaps he could pay for another, I was confident I had the right value. Here is where the problem begins.

The owner took to the internet and filed a complaint against me, a complaint full of lies and stories and wrote the story in the BBB complaint. I was notified of the complaint and offered to rebut the owner's accounts as to what happened, but rather than redact the story, edited and published the rebuttal. When I contacted the BBB, I was told by the owner's son (who is in charge of any internet complaints) that the BBB is an independent organization and could publish whatever they want. In fact, the BBB is not a government agency at all, completely independent and has nothing to do with any business, just a company that can do whatever it wants when it comes to reviews and complaints.

I have been in business for 20+ years and have never had a complaint filed against me, have never been in court for anything other than an expert witness and always open to discussing my conclusions whereas a high percentage of appraisers will not talk to any client once an appraisal has been submitted. So when I saw that the complaint was not redacted and had posted as if there was an online argument, I was dismayed and angry that the original complaint was not removed. Thi is my reputation and livelihood and has a direct impact on my income when something like this is published.

The BBB will not remove the complaint even though it is completely false and this millennial kid whose dad works for the BBB thinks it is some kind of game to let this play out online. I check my reviews from time to time and recently had checked to see if it was still there and it is. The BBB is not a credible organization and has no official or government affiliation whatsoever. The BBB is completely independent and publishes any content without any concern how it may affect one's business and reputation. The BBB is a business scam.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

There is a cheap financial company like a thief. The cheap company posted "new transaction fee on very tiny note affected by middle of December" and of course I could not see, I believe no one can see. "It was almost end of December and the cheap company even did not change official transaction fee page". The fee was 0.5% of transaction on the official transaction information page and the new charge was 1% on tiny note indicates "will be affected middle of December.” End of December came, every user of the company still see the 0.5% transaction fee on their official page. I did transaction and they charged me 1% fee. I was very frustrated. "Hey it is 0.5% on your information page!!!"

One guy told me "It is 1% transaction charge and the new fee posted on the note". It is end of December!!! You guys do not even change the official page, but your tiny note affected middle of December!!! Sent emailS and received responses a couple of times. I wrote down my experience on BBB and other review sites. What happened? "The cheap company sent me one more email". "Your overcharge fee will be paid back soon". Thank you!!! 1% of your and my fund is huge money!!! Do not take free money. Much appreciated "BBB".

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I am very disappointed on the fact that BBB was not able to help me with a complaint that I filed against a Guardsman, a Furniture protection plan company. I was really hoping that the BBB would help me or at least give me advice on what do to get my money back. I do not see the point of reaching out to BBB, if the BBB just agrees with whatever the business says and does not consider the customer's complaint. I am truly disappointed and lost because The BBB basically told me they couldn’t do anything about my complaint when clearly there is tons of the same complaints against the company (Guardsman). They need to make an effort try to help people!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The Better Business Bureau is not really a place to settle disputes. They absolutely do nothing to help the consumer. They just forward your complaint to the company and that's about it. It shouldn't even be an organization. They're really just a farce. I've tried to use them twice now. Without any help from them. I don't know how they get paid, but don't use them, get a lawyer. Go to small claims court. I recently had a complaint with Samsung.

Better Business Bureau/bbb.org Company Information

www.bbb.org

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business