3.9/5 (170 ratings)

About Apple TV

Apple TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple TV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple TV?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

It is clear, that the two latest reviews are plants. Just because someone has an Apple account and can be verified, does not mean that the reviewer is not associated with someone in the company, in one way or another. Apple TV + is unwieldy enough, due to having its own app, to make the experience of watching their content completely off-putting. The content aside, it is hard to use, and one has to go through all kinds of rigamarole, over and over again, just to watch. I received the app and content free for a year, as many have. However, free or not, giving this channel two stars is probably overly generous. However, I liked the show that I struggled to watch due to the app's misfortunes, and so I gave it two stars instead of one.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

We purchased Apple TV to watch one of their new movies. Strangely, our TV began to turn itself on independently. So I exchanged the unit for a new unit. We upgraded our system to Dolby Atmos with professional installation. Now the Apple TV unit turns on the amp, and the TV and the entire system becomes inoperable i.e. no picture or sound. We have to unplug it to stop it from crashing our amp and TV. Apple TV content is OK. This design flaw needs to be corrected and fixed.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Apple TV is an absolute rip off, what a disgustingly greedy company Apple is. There's no words to describe how detrimental this company is to the well being of humankind... Apple clearly only focuses on how to take as much money possible. Apple doesn't care about the welfare of humanity. It's in all our interests to resist giving this evil corporation any power.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

The selection of programs is very limited. They have a good movie or two and that's about it. The platform is not easy to navigate and takes time to see summaries. Also, the two factor authentication is a pain to use every time you want to open the app - it's not necessary to have that much security in my opinion.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I like the diversity of platforms Apple TV supports and the convenience of buying any title over iTunes at the click of a button (has the most massive selection in my opinion). Some downsides would be the restrictions of Airplay for non apple devices and the bad support it has for Homepods (especially in stereo).

Original review: May 28, 2020

Apple TV is really easy to use. While watching anything it sometimes stops and takes a few minutes to catch up to where you left off. I do wish there were more choices of movies and TV shows. I do like the way Apple TV marks the episodes that you have already watched, so you know where you left off. I do wish the remote was a little bigger only because it is easy to lose. Overall I like using Apple TV for my streaming needs.

Original review: May 27, 2020

There’s no complaining on whatsoever, you get what you pay for and Apple TV is not the cheapest of its kind because it's definitely the best of its kind... Very user friendly and intuitive... Highly recommended for any age..

Original review: May 25, 2020

I currently have Netflix and HBO Now and got Apple TV+ to augment with additional content. Most of of what I watched on Apple TV+ was great from "The Morning Show" to "See". Even though the quality of the content is great, they need more content.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I love the APPLE TV streaming because one just purchased the Apple TV Device and has so many choices with that one time purchase. It’s easy to set up and easy to locate the apps with the controller.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Apple TV gives the viewer numerous choices of movies in different genres as well as new series and documentaries. Pricing is reasonable plus they have trials available. Always can find something to watch.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Poor program guide. Limitations when moving to different location for the local channels. Very poor customers services with no verbal help, not justified by the excuse of the pandemia. The chat services to help with technical problems is very...very poor.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Easy to hook up. Remote is much too sensitive. Would be most useful if an instruction manual came with it. I would not recommend to anyone and definitely would love to have my money back. I get more channels from the internet.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I had most of the streaming services, and Apple is head and shoulders above the rest in every aspect!!! Their customer service is quick and on the point, with no flim flam or attempt to sell other things that you do not ask for/about.

Original review: May 15, 2020

There needs to be more content even as a free service in order for me to count it as a go to channel. Right now I watch it when I think about it and then it's difficult to find new content. The other issue is that I can screen share with one tv in the house so often I'm watching on a small screen. For now I have the service for free, but likely won't sign up to pay when my free year is up.

Original review: May 14, 2020

It’s okay. I don’t understand how they say free but end up charging you. Their streaming of movies or choices are limited to more of their choices not yours. The $4.99 a month is okay. I just feel they should offer more 'cause you are paying extra along with the $4.99.

Original review: May 13, 2020

The quality is wonderful.. I cannot tell it is streaming. My only disappointment is that they promised hundreds of free channels, but most of them really were broadcast channels. Most of what I wanted to watch was either old or pay per view. Example: I tuned into the free CNN, but it was not the current program but something from the past.

Original review: May 12, 2020

The Apple TV is a great device and easy to use, even more so if you are in the Apple ecosystem. It supports all the current streaming apps with 4k and HDR support. They are comparable device from Amazon and Roku so if price is a concern I would look there. Apart from some issues with HDR I have no complaints???.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I believe that that the programming availability is sub-par at best. Navigating can be difficult at times and I just switch to a different platform. I only use Apple TV because I have a free year of use. I do not believe that I would pay for Apple TV. I find Amazon Prime a much better service.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Apple TV is the way to go. You do not pay a monthly fee for the service. There is a huge variety of apps to use. i.e. Hulu, Netflix. Some of the apps/service there is a monthly fee. If you have other Apple Device, they will all work hand in hand.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I bought the Apple TV 4K box on-line from Apple Store. I tried many time to set it up, both automatically and manually and couldn’t get past the setup. I even reset my iPad to get the sync option to work, with no luck. Then I tried my iPhone a number of times. Every time I buy an apple product, I regret it and vow never again. This experience has been no different! Yet I keep trying.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I've had a previous AppleTV and liked it enough to upgrade to the new one, mainly for the voice search. But this remote is very different and extremely hard to control. It's TINY and thin, OK, like the older one, but at least that didn't have a touch feature and was all metal. This touch screen is so sensitive, even when set on the lowest sensitivity, that it's hard to control the TV, and, if it's on your lap and you happen to barely touch it, there goes the show you're watching. Forget about picking it up - a finger touching the edge changes the TV screen. I was considering gluing it on to a larger piece of wood or plastic just so I could pick it up without triggering it, but before I could, while shaking out a throw on the sofa, I didn't feel the remote being there and flipped it on the tile floor. It shattered both the upper and lower glass screen and now it doesn't work. Really NOT user friendly.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I’m very disappointed with my New Apple TV. Can’t turn it on with Siri. I have to disconnect my Visio surround sound to get good audio reception. The remote is so sensitive that even on the slowest setting, as a senior it takes me several tries to get want to watch what I want.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I am becoming very frustrated with Apple TV. I hate to go to Apple TV anymore because I am just slammed with a bunch of stuff I have no interest in. It's getting to be not worth it to try and find what I want to see. I am now going to Apple for shows about a quarter of the time I might otherwise due to the confusing page/app/interface/advertising scheme. I am an Apple TV+ subscriber and I can't enjoy it due to all of the crap Apple tries to sell me. Fix this, put in filters, change it before my subscription runs out or I won't be back, there is too much competition for my viewing time and money to deal with this aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I am disappointed by the lack of two basic features on the Apple TV 4K.

Number 1: No ability to disable the Siri/Search button. When my children press it, they’re suddenly staring at offensive movie/TV covers of Stephen King's IT, American Horror Story, or Baywatch. Seriously? My children have to see all of these pictures because they simply hit a menu button? There's no way to disable the search screen. This is unacceptable.

Number 2: I cannot delete certain Apps - if I place them inside a folder, there is no way to password protect the folder. Essentially, kids can go anywhere on the Apple TV and explore anything on the device. Yes, they're prevented from 'buying' anything, but they can still *see* everything. So much for guarding the innocence of children.

Please, Apple. Give moms and dads the power to protect the eyes and innocence of their children. Thank you for listening. In the meantime, I have returned my Apple TV 4K to the store and I have gone back to my Jailbreak 3rd generation device that allows me to fully control the menu.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

So I recently purchased the new iPhone 11 which included the new Apple TV+ service which was great. I then signed up for the new Disney streaming service and received a notification I could get this for free my my cellular provider. When I went in to cancel my Disney trial I accidentally canceled my Apple TV+. Realizing this I quickly resigned up but was now charged $49.95 for what was supposed to be free. After several calls and emails to Apple I was told, "Too bad. You canceled. Now you have to pay to get it back." I can't tell you how disappointed I am that Apple is making no effort to resolve a mistake and that they have no ability to correct the situation. This is not the Apple I've loved for so many years...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I bought an Apple TV remote in May 2019 and somehow the remote seems to be defective. I then decided to take it back and have them look at it. When I got there I was told to bring my TV box along with which I did after a few days. Upon testing and confirming what I'm complaining about they then decided to book it in and the staff made it clear that there is nothing they can do as Apple will deny my warrant as a result of a few scratches and minor dents on the corners of the remote. I made it clear to them that I'm not here for a replacement but the mere correction of defective software. Apple denied to correct this by all means.

They took advantage of the minor scratches to render any form of meaningful assistance. I strongly suggest that anyone purchasing an Apple product should think twice as they are qualified skelems hell bent on ripping off anybody using stupid means necessary to void warranty of their products. The store receipt does not contain any of these nonsensical terms and conditions.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have a new Apple tv and really have been enjoying it. Today Apple just updated the OS for my apple TV and added the new Apple TV app. If you haven't subscribed to any apps this won't matter to you but I already have a 4k curiosity sub and a PBS sub and I can not use it through the app so it is pretty useless. You have to subscribe through Apple to use the convenient app. For that reason I won't be using it or subscribing to anything since I already have others I prepaid in advanced for a year at a time. Apple your new app is worthless on my Apple TV just hope I can uninstalled the piece of garbage.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I've been using Apple TV since the first iteration – currently using 3rd and 4th generations on multiple TVs. I like the experience and ease of use. I believe Apple will continue to refine and improve Apple TV as they do with all of their products. The Siri remote can come in handy for searching, getting you to something quickly, checking the weather forecast, interacting with HomeKit accessories (for example dimming the lights to watch a movie), and a ton of other Siri queries.

The touch part of the remote has improved but there's the issue that the slightest accidental touch of the remote can cause an unwanted pause or rewind of what you're currently watching. Remotes get tossed around, in the dark, so any kind of trackpad will have this issue compared to a traditional hard-press button kind of remote. Although the Siri touch remote has more functionality, the older aluminum remote (which we use in tandem since those can be paired with any Apple TV) could slide down the sofa cushion crack and not be accidentally activated. It's nice having dual remotes anyway when there are multiple viewers. I like that the Siri remote is rechargeable and a charge lasts a really long time.

Apple TV can be utilized as the base station for HomeKit. Being able to control a plethora of HomeKit accessories from anywhere in the world using an iPhone is an awesome piece of power that I don't think many Apple users are aware of. I started with the Philips Hue lights and now have in-wall switches, cameras, thermostats, etc. It allows you to schedule things to go on and off at desired times or related to the sunrise/sunset. Or turn lights down, on, off, with your voice or through the HomeKit app. It's easy to get it set up and little to no bugs in my experience. Highly recommend getting a few accessories and experiencing the automation and smart home features that are possible with HomeKit. Apple should advertise these capabilities.

Back to the Apple TV. From HBO, Hulu, Showtime, PBS, Amazon Prime, YouTube, SlingTV, Netflix, etc. All the major content providers can be found on Apple TV. You can subscribe to them a la carte, or use your cable subscription info if you haven’t cut the cable. Amazon Prime content is included with a Prime membership, just plug in the username/PW. And of course there are movies & music through iTunes. And you can stream podcasts (picking up where you left off listening on your iPhone), listen to your iTunes music library, stream Apple Music, browse your photos library, use Airplay to beam photos/videos to the Apple TV from your phone or laptop, mirror the screen on your iPhone, laptop, iMac, etc. so people can view the screen as if they were looking at your desktop with you. And then there is a world of games, other APPs, there is just a ton of stuff. Very versatile piece of kit.

Smart TVs have similar content and apps, but what makes Apple TV really shine is the TV APP. It keeps tabs on everything you're watching in one place and syncs it between multiple Apple TVs if you have more than one. It also lets you browse content across multiple providers. Watch half a movie downstairs, finish watching it upstairs and it knows right where you were. Other apps do this by themselves, but the TV APP will collect these things from multiple sources. You will see the HBO series you're watching right next to the movie or Amazon Prime show you are also watching. It's not flawless and there are times when the updating and syncing aren't perfectly executed. But I would imagine it will only get better as time goes on and the TV system is updated. The groundwork and thinking are solid and it does work well a majority of the time.

When there's a show you want to watch but don't want to subscribe to the provider for just that one show, you can usually find it on iTunes and buy a season pass there. For instance, if you want to see "The Handmaid's Tale" you can either subscribe to Hulu, or you can buy a season pass on iTunes for just that one show. Or utilize the free trial many providers offer and binge watch the entire series, then exit the service.

When cutting the cable, I wired an antenna in the attic and ran it to the TVs. Fairly easy because you can use the coax that used to bring the cable to the various TVs. I don’t watch much over-the-air programming, but there is the occasional football game or newscast that makes this a handy thing to have. And the new TVs have built-in OTA guides so it’s very similar to the old cable days where you can look what’s on, what’s coming up, etc. with ease.

Apple TV made cutting the cable (DirecTV in my case) very enjoyable. And even with subscriptions to HBONOW, Amazon Prime, Netflix and renting a few movies, it saved close to $100 per month. And I prefer watching everything on demand. I don’t miss flipping through the endless channels of a satellite subscription scrolling through so many things I would never watch anyway.

I like that there's no advertising in the Apple TV interface. You see the APPs, or hit the home button to go to the TV app, browse the shows you're currently watching, or browse new things you haven't seen, all without any popups, ads, noise, or anything. It's clean, well designed, and it just works. And behind the scenes, it's vital to know that Apple does not collect browsing history or other personal data in order to sell this info to advertisers or other companies.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This is my second Apple TV. I like it, but the remote is a pain in the **. I would like to have the remote easier to navigate. Out of all the Apple products this is my least favorite. Not thrilled w/ new up next I have not. Been able to just open the app and watch all the channels I have paid for. I have to log into each account then use wireless to see it on tv.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Better than what I thought. I don't know what would I do without Apple. I have almost everything from Apple. The last 2 I bought was the watch and Apple TV

Apple TV Company Information