4.32/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

28 Apple TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I've been using Apple TV since the first iteration – currently using 3rd and 4th generations on multiple TVs. I like the experience and ease of use. I believe Apple will continue to refine and improve Apple TV as they do with all of their products. The Siri remote can come in handy for searching, getting you to something quickly, checking the weather forecast, interacting with HomeKit accessories (for example dimming the lights to watch a movie), and a ton of other Siri queries.

The touch part of the remote has improved but there's the issue that the slightest accidental touch of the remote can cause an unwanted pause or rewind of what you're currently watching. Remotes get tossed around, in the dark, so any kind of trackpad will have this issue compared to a traditional hard-press button kind of remote. Although the Siri touch remote has more functionality, the older aluminum remote (which we use in tandem since those can be paired with any Apple TV) could slide down the sofa cushion crack and not be accidentally activated. It's nice having dual remotes anyway when there are multiple viewers. I like that the Siri remote is rechargeable and a charge lasts a really long time.

Apple TV can be utilized as the base station for HomeKit. Being able to control a plethora of HomeKit accessories from anywhere in the world using an iPhone is an awesome piece of power that I don't think many Apple users are aware of. I started with the Philips Hue lights and now have in-wall switches, cameras, thermostats, etc. It allows you to schedule things to go on and off at desired times or related to the sunrise/sunset. Or turn lights down, on, off, with your voice or through the HomeKit app. It's easy to get it set up and little to no bugs in my experience. Highly recommend getting a few accessories and experiencing the automation and smart home features that are possible with HomeKit. Apple should advertise these capabilities.

Back to the Apple TV. From HBO, Hulu, Showtime, PBS, Amazon Prime, YouTube, SlingTV, Netflix, etc. All the major content providers can be found on Apple TV. You can subscribe to them a la carte, or use your cable subscription info if you haven’t cut the cable. Amazon Prime content is included with a Prime membership, just plug in the username/PW. And of course there are movies & music through iTunes. And you can stream podcasts (picking up where you left off listening on your iPhone), listen to your iTunes music library, stream Apple Music, browse your photos library, use Airplay to beam photos/videos to the Apple TV from your phone or laptop, mirror the screen on your iPhone, laptop, iMac, etc. so people can view the screen as if they were looking at your desktop with you. And then there is a world of games, other APPs, there is just a ton of stuff. Very versatile piece of kit.

Smart TVs have similar content and apps, but what makes Apple TV really shine is the TV APP. It keeps tabs on everything you're watching in one place and syncs it between multiple Apple TVs if you have more than one. It also lets you browse content across multiple providers. Watch half a movie downstairs, finish watching it upstairs and it knows right where you were. Other apps do this by themselves, but the TV APP will collect these things from multiple sources. You will see the HBO series you're watching right next to the movie or Amazon Prime show you are also watching. It's not flawless and there are times when the updating and syncing aren't perfectly executed. But I would imagine it will only get better as time goes on and the TV system is updated. The groundwork and thinking are solid and it does work well a majority of the time.

When there's a show you want to watch but don't want to subscribe to the provider for just that one show, you can usually find it on iTunes and buy a season pass there. For instance, if you want to see "The Handmaid's Tale" you can either subscribe to Hulu, or you can buy a season pass on iTunes for just that one show. Or utilize the free trial many providers offer and binge watch the entire series, then exit the service.

When cutting the cable, I wired an antenna in the attic and ran it to the TVs. Fairly easy because you can use the coax that used to bring the cable to the various TVs. I don’t watch much over-the-air programming, but there is the occasional football game or newscast that makes this a handy thing to have. And the new TVs have built-in OTA guides so it’s very similar to the old cable days where you can look what’s on, what’s coming up, etc. with ease.

Apple TV made cutting the cable (DirecTV in my case) very enjoyable. And even with subscriptions to HBONOW, Amazon Prime, Netflix and renting a few movies, it saved close to $100 per month. And I prefer watching everything on demand. I don’t miss flipping through the endless channels of a satellite subscription scrolling through so many things I would never watch anyway.

I like that there's no advertising in the Apple TV interface. You see the APPs, or hit the home button to go to the TV app, browse the shows you're currently watching, or browse new things you haven't seen, all without any popups, ads, noise, or anything. It's clean, well designed, and it just works. And behind the scenes, it's vital to know that Apple does not collect browsing history or other personal data in order to sell this info to advertisers or other companies.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This is my second Apple TV. I like it, but the remote is a pain in the **. I would like to have the remote easier to navigate. Out of all the Apple products this is my least favorite. Not thrilled w/ new up next I have not. Been able to just open the app and watch all the channels I have paid for. I have to log into each account then use wireless to see it on tv.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Better than what I thought. I don't know what would I do without Apple. I have almost everything from Apple. The last 2 I bought was the watch and Apple TV

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Apple knows how to build laptops and desktops but certainly don't know anything about TV. It is extremely difficult to maneuver around with an awful UI, and trying to be clever with the remote control but simply not usable. The entire family used it for about a month and then decided to donate to the eWaste.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

My Apple TV has been very reliable for many years. It is the only unit of its kind that allows access to all channels and services, including iTunes. It is very easy to add channels/services to your preference list. I own other brands, the Apple TV is the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple TV?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Great product for anyone who uses an iPhone and an iPad for personal use, and who wants all three devices to sync. The Apple TV allows me to rent and purchase both television and movies on iTunes, and it also allows me to watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube whenever I want. I enjoy that the Apple TV will allow me to watch everything I want on a larger TV screen, and I'm not limited to watching those on a smaller PC or iPad screen. I really enjoy having the Apple TV in my home.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The variety available through Apple TV and Netflix makes cable options obsolete not only because of the spectrum of accessible programming but because it can be tailored to one's individual interests without incurring costs for channels and access that one does not want.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My son got me an Apple TV for my birthday and I loved it so much that I asked for one for Xmas! If you haven't used a streaming device before try this one, it’s worth its very reasonable price. There are a large number of free channels and all of the popular ones are but in, once you've tried it you'll love it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Apple products is a very user-friendly gadget. It is so easy to navigate and has a quick response. Once you set it up you don't have any problem using it. It's very sensitive but you will get into it.

Original review: July 22, 2018

If you are accustomed to the ease of use of the microphone feature on an Xfinity remote, you can forget about that with Apple TV. The microphone links only to Siri and, therefore, is incapable of switching channels from say, ESPN to Comedy Central, within a television provider network. For that reason alone, I would avoid Apple TV as the remote, that requires assiduous scrolling, is overly sensitive and, therefore, a touchy piece of equipment to manipulate. Apple needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to synchronize their product with the products of the compan(ies) they have teamed up, as example, DirecTV Now.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The Apple TV is very easy to use and many available channels and can use iPhone as remote so I can make any changes without moving out of your chair. Have had a great experience using it. When I compare to other streaming it seems to give me all that I need for my home. This is a very easy way to get tv and it was given to me as a gift. I think the selection of shows is more than adequate and there are shows for all ages. I can get sports, movies, shows and kids' programs too.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have really enjoyed Apple streaming and the choices it allows the viewer. When thinking of the Apple streaming service, I like the comparability of the service between devices and the amount of program choices provided. I also like the fact that Apple streaming works on all my devices and allows me to view programming at various locations. But you have to select a different format and it takes time to pull up programming sometimes disconnecting.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I like that the Apple TV has the ease of interface, lots of streaming apps and searches multiple streaming services for shows and saves my entire library in the cloud. The remote is also easy to use and with voice control too. More apps than Amazon and Smart TVs like Sony and Samsung as well. However, there is no 4k video available yet on the Device, no single log on across all my cable company apps which is maddening and does not connect wireless to TV yet so wires show.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Apple TV helps when you would like to catch up on shows that they don't have time to watch at home or if they are living with others who got the television. You have your phone all to yourself and can enjoy your streaming for as long as you like and wherever you like. It's also more faster to use and especially because it is more mobile for me as compared to having to bring a PlayStation and I can also use it on the bus. But they can improve by uploading more common and new episodes that come out in a timely fashion of the release date of the show.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I like the portability and accessibility to so many apps and the ability to play content from them, it's really an awesome feature to have and very convenient. We can play movies we have purchased or have downloaded from our phones along with pictures and to play music through the tv and speakers is an added bonus. But sometimes playing content can freeze which is a little annoying even though I realize it can be an internet issue. The remote is also annoying and I wish it was bigger and had option buttons to use. We easily lose it in the couch all the time. On the other hand, we like the features. The feature to play iTunes from your computer is the added part that you cannot do from a Roku device and that feature stands out the most among the different devices that we own.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

It has movies I can rent in the comfort of my home and I don't have to use a disk. Other than the price to rent movies, it's simple, easy and seamless. I choose this over others because it was the first of its kind.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I chose this service based on another recommendation. Many of these products run consistently in our other electronic areas so the cohesiveness of staying in the same brand resulted also in my main streaming source. I'm very content with my Apple TV streaming service. I like the layout and visuals of the service. It's clean and pleasing. I can also easily find what I'm looking for while having quick access to everything I need. Any issues I have have most often been an internet service issue. And those issues are typically resolved in less than 10 minutes should they occur.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

It's a smart type TV. You can go online & look up things such as music, movies & you can even go on FB. I just got mine last month, so I'm still learning how to use it. Because you can do so much on it & I really enjoy using it. Some days I get a little carried away & be on it for hours a day. So it is really a good Apple TV. You learn to use it as you go. I would recommend you to buy it & see if you like it or not, but I promise you, you will like it and it's really addictive.

But I think they should improve a lot of things. I hate that it don't load properly and I be waiting for a good 30 minutes to a hour and be getting sleepy. But I called up there to see what was the problem, they said the server was going extremely slow. Also, I more would choose horror. Because I love scary movies & I would prefer comedy because I laugh at a lot of different things. So the comedy is number one & I love love stories, sad movies all that. It just depends on if it's really a good movie.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

It's pretty easy to navigate. Think it could be something my mom could use. Easy to use and has a good variety of shows to choose from. Lots to choose from. I like this service. Would recommend to friends. Works for someone like me but can I download programs to USB or DVD? Also, maybe the fee is a little too high. Wish the seasons were longer with more episodes. Also, wish the seasons weren't so far in between.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I love it for my whole family - It's easy to use and has a wonderful selection. It's great for the adults and the kids. It keeps me motivated to exercise. There are done series that I save for the elliptical. Watching them is my motivation and reward for exercising. Plus, the option of streaming content off my phone is a huge bonus. Searching should be easier, though. I'd like to be able to search all movies and not go channel by channel. Ratings and rankings would help with the searches and maybe link to IMBD too.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Well satisfied with Apple TV - The ability to save movies and the selection of various apps that can be used with Apple TV make it a very compelling streaming subscription service. It's also nice to have access to music. It has more variety and is very stable. It is well integrated with other Apple products. The equipment is easy to use, virtually trouble free, and is very stylish in appearance. There should be access to more free programming, though. But there is a good selection of movies as well as access to major networks and Netflix. ESPN is also supported so that one can receive college sports.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I enjoy the wide range of different networks Apple TV has. It is also very simple to use and there isn't anything that is too gimmicky. It's the one I use daily. It is also a very long lasting product that will not burn out. It is also very easy to navigate to whatever network you want like YouTube. The only real issue I have with Apple box would be sometimes the lag. It would be great if everything reacted much better to your commands like typing. Also typing in the search bar can be somewhat of a hassle.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I love Apple Devices - I like that I can get to Hulu and Netflix on the same device. I wish it would include Amazon Prime Video. If you have a subscription to something like DirecTV and you pay for premium channels, then you can also hook that up to it somehow. It is easy to navigate through and even easier to hook up to your TV and internet. Hooking up your Apple ID to it also is easy, and if you have an iPhone, you can interact with the Apple TV. I would suggest this because it links up to your Apple ID, and you can get your videos and other stuff that you have already purchased.

I would add Amazon Prime to it, though. Even though Amazon has it's own streaming device, if I were a company like Apple, Amazon, Roku, etc. I would NOT leave out the other major competitors because then that will limit what the customers can and cannot watch. To be smart, I would include access to all top streaming companies, so people do not have to use more than one device.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

There are a lot of different choices to chose from. New shows regularly. Easy to navigate. Customized suggestions. Ability to create different profiles within the application for more personalized suggestions per person not per household. It used to be a good value for your money however after Netflix cut up their offered media and put them into channels that we pay for in addition to our regular subscription it lost value. I honestly HATE the channels. They feel like Amazon taking advantage of its customers. Amazon's descriptions for its shows are HORRIBLE. Most of them look like a five year old wrote them. There is no way to see why a show was rated the way it was rated R for... And because of this I personally have an extremely hard time watching new shows due to the high ** content in most shows triggering memories.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Great product. Would recommend - I appreciate that Apple TV allows me to rent or purchase content to stream and also I like the ability to have many streaming content providers available via Apple TV. Huge range of shows and movies - to rent or buy, easy to use your own music on the device, even if it's stored on a computer. Ability to use Apple TV to access Hulu, Netflix, HBO Go is my favorite feature. Apple has stopped providing updates, though, for older generations of Apple TV, making them closer to obsoletion. I find this very disappointing, as the product is not cheap.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

The cost of Apple TV is quite reasonable. The actual box is small and easy to store and is easy to hook up to your television. There is a good choice of channels available, both video and audio. You also can use it to store personal photos and videos. Not all channels are subscription, like Netflix or Hulu. Some are actually free like Pandora. The clicker is too sensitive, though, and it is sometimes frustrating when it clicks past what you want to select. It takes a very light touch and practice to get it right.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Top class streaming service - It is a streaming service made by Apple. You plug it into your tv and it sets up your tv into a smart tv. I really like the overall concept of the Apple TV. It has such a nice, clean and modern design to it. It is my favorite out of any streaming service out there. It works great and doesn't have any issues when I use it. All in all it is an excellent product. One thing I might change would be to have a lower price but other than that I wouldn't make a change with the product in general.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Pleasant and fun - I like the Apple TV interface. Easy to find what I want. I like the other apps that I can download as well. Better than Internet TV on Smart TV. I think my elderly mother would find it easy if she tried it. I think the Apple TV is much better than say a Roku device. The selection of movies is pretty good. Integration with a Smart TV would be nice, though. Also, Siri does not work well on the remote itself. I would also like Spotify integrated, as well as an easier way to save favorites.

Apple TV Company Information