Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

4.10/5

Apple TV Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2019

I've been using Apple TV since the first iteration – currently using 3rd and 4th generations on multiple TVs. I like the experience and ease of use. I believe Apple will continue to refine and improve Apple TV as they do with all of their products. The Siri remote can come in handy for searching, getting you to something quickly, checking the weather forecast, interacting with HomeKit accessories (for example dimming the lights to watch a movie), and a ton of other Siri queries.

The touch part of the remote has improved but there's the issue that the slightest accidental touch of the remote can cause an unwanted pause or rewind of what you're currently watching. Remotes get tossed around, in the dark, so any kind of trackpad will have this issue compared to a traditional hard-press button kind of remote. Although the Siri touch remote has more functionality, the older aluminum remote (which we use in tandem since those can be paired with any Apple TV) could slide down the sofa cushion crack and not be accidentally activated. It's nice having dual remotes anyway when there are multiple viewers. I like that the Siri remote is rechargeable and a charge lasts a really long time.

Apple TV can be utilized as the base station for HomeKit. Being able to control a plethora of HomeKit accessories from anywhere in the world using an iPhone is an awesome piece of power that I don't think many Apple users are aware of. I started with the Philips Hue lights and now have in-wall switches, cameras, thermostats, etc. It allows you to schedule things to go on and off at desired times or related to the sunrise/sunset. Or turn lights down, on, off, with your voice or through the HomeKit app. It's easy to get it set up and little to no bugs in my experience. Highly recommend getting a few accessories and experiencing the automation and smart home features that are possible with HomeKit. Apple should advertise these capabilities.

Back to the Apple TV. From HBO, Hulu, Showtime, PBS, Amazon Prime, YouTube, SlingTV, Netflix, etc. All the major content providers can be found on Apple TV. You can subscribe to them a la carte, or use your cable subscription info if you haven’t cut the cable. Amazon Prime content is included with a Prime membership, just plug in the username/PW. And of course there are movies & music through iTunes. And you can stream podcasts (picking up where you left off listening on your iPhone), listen to your iTunes music library, stream Apple Music, browse your photos library, use Airplay to beam photos/videos to the Apple TV from your phone or laptop, mirror the screen on your iPhone, laptop, iMac, etc. so people can view the screen as if they were looking at your desktop with you. And then there is a world of games, other APPs, there is just a ton of stuff. Very versatile piece of kit.

Smart TVs have similar content and apps, but what makes Apple TV really shine is the TV APP. It keeps tabs on everything you're watching in one place and syncs it between multiple Apple TVs if you have more than one. It also lets you browse content across multiple providers. Watch half a movie downstairs, finish watching it upstairs and it knows right where you were. Other apps do this by themselves, but the TV APP will collect these things from multiple sources. You will see the HBO series you're watching right next to the movie or Amazon Prime show you are also watching. It's not flawless and there are times when the updating and syncing aren't perfectly executed. But I would imagine it will only get better as time goes on and the TV system is updated. The groundwork and thinking are solid and it does work well a majority of the time.

When there's a show you want to watch but don't want to subscribe to the provider for just that one show, you can usually find it on iTunes and buy a season pass there. For instance, if you want to see "The Handmaid's Tale" you can either subscribe to Hulu, or you can buy a season pass on iTunes for just that one show. Or utilize the free trial many providers offer and binge watch the entire series, then exit the service.

When cutting the cable, I wired an antenna in the attic and ran it to the TVs. Fairly easy because you can use the coax that used to bring the cable to the various TVs. I don’t watch much over-the-air programming, but there is the occasional football game or newscast that makes this a handy thing to have. And the new TVs have built-in OTA guides so it’s very similar to the old cable days where you can look what’s on, what’s coming up, etc. with ease.

Apple TV made cutting the cable (DirecTV in my case) very enjoyable. And even with subscriptions to HBONOW, Amazon Prime, Netflix and renting a few movies, it saved close to $100 per month. And I prefer watching everything on demand. I don’t miss flipping through the endless channels of a satellite subscription scrolling through so many things I would never watch anyway.

I like that there's no advertising in the Apple TV interface. You see the APPs, or hit the home button to go to the TV app, browse the shows you're currently watching, or browse new things you haven't seen, all without any popups, ads, noise, or anything. It's clean, well designed, and it just works. And behind the scenes, it's vital to know that Apple does not collect browsing history or other personal data in order to sell this info to advertisers or other companies.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This is my second Apple TV. I like it, but the remote is a pain in the **. I would like to have the remote easier to navigate. Out of all the Apple products this is my least favorite. Not thrilled w/ new up next I have not. Been able to just open the app and watch all the channels I have paid for. I have to log into each account then use wireless to see it on tv.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

My Apple TV has been very reliable for many years. It is the only unit of its kind that allows access to all channels and services, including iTunes. It is very easy to add channels/services to your preference list. I own other brands, the Apple TV is the best.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Great product for anyone who uses an iPhone and an iPad for personal use, and who wants all three devices to sync. The Apple TV allows me to rent and purchase both television and movies on iTunes, and it also allows me to watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube whenever I want. I enjoy that the Apple TV will allow me to watch everything I want on a larger TV screen, and I'm not limited to watching those on a smaller PC or iPad screen. I really enjoy having the Apple TV in my home.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My son got me an Apple TV for my birthday and I loved it so much that I asked for one for Xmas! If you haven't used a streaming device before try this one, it’s worth its very reasonable price. There are a large number of free channels and all of the popular ones are but in, once you've tried it you'll love it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple TV?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I bought an Apple TV remote in May 2019 and somehow the remote seems to be defective. I then decided to take it back and have them look at it. When I got there I was told to bring my TV box along with which I did after a few days. Upon testing and confirming what I'm complaining about they then decided to book it in and the staff made it clear that there is nothing they can do as Apple will deny my warrant as a result of a few scratches and minor dents on the corners of the remote. I made it clear to them that I'm not here for a replacement but the mere correction of defective software. Apple denied to correct this by all means.

They took advantage of the minor scratches to render any form of meaningful assistance. I strongly suggest that anyone purchasing an Apple product should think twice as they are qualified skelems hell bent on ripping off anybody using stupid means necessary to void warranty of their products. The store receipt does not contain any of these nonsensical terms and conditions.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have a new Apple tv and really have been enjoying it. Today Apple just updated the OS for my apple TV and added the new Apple TV app. If you haven't subscribed to any apps this won't matter to you but I already have a 4k curiosity sub and a PBS sub and I can not use it through the app so it is pretty useless. You have to subscribe through Apple to use the convenient app. For that reason I won't be using it or subscribing to anything since I already have others I prepaid in advanced for a year at a time. Apple your new app is worthless on my Apple TV just hope I can uninstalled the piece of garbage.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Better than what I thought. I don't know what would I do without Apple. I have almost everything from Apple. The last 2 I bought was the watch and Apple TV

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Apple knows how to build laptops and desktops but certainly don't know anything about TV. It is extremely difficult to maneuver around with an awful UI, and trying to be clever with the remote control but simply not usable. The entire family used it for about a month and then decided to donate to the eWaste.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The variety available through Apple TV and Netflix makes cable options obsolete not only because of the spectrum of accessible programming but because it can be tailored to one's individual interests without incurring costs for channels and access that one does not want.

Apple TV Company Information