Looking for a deal website?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.85/5
Based on 5,080 ratings submitted in the last year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Amazon.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I ordered some muscle roll on and some batteries from Amazon, and requested Prime 2-day delivery. The muscle roll on stated it would be arriving about 5 days past the day I ordered, and the batteries were to arrive in 2 days. I received a message from Amazon that something happened with the muscle roll on and that it wouldn't be delivered until 4 days past the date of original delivery, and when I looked at the tracking information, the item went from Virginia to Maryland to Colorado and was there for more than 5 days.

The item was supposed to be delivered to Arizona. I also ordered some batteries, and was sent an update that now they are not available and will ship on December 21st, after the original delivery date was December 8th. I tried to find the information to email Amazon because in the past, they have assisted me with these types of things by giving me a month added to my prime membership. I had to chat with someone on the internet, and was offered a $5.00 certificate for the muscle roll on, and told that I needed to wait until the 12th because the item was listed as lost. Nothing about the batteries. This is the worst customer service I have received in a long time. I don't enjoy chatting on the internet, and the last time I tried to call, Amazon blamed a delivery delay on UPS. I will consider whether I really need or want Prime next year when my renewal date comes up.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

On September I purchased a $500 mattress for my aunt in Florida. A month later the credit card company freaked out and accidentally flagged the payment. Amazon froze my account, I called the credit card, had them place the money back into Amazon and solve the issue. Amazon unblocked my account and all was good from Nov 5th, until Nov 24. When Amazon blocked my account again and began sending me harassing emails trying to get me to pay for the mattress again. I sent proof of payment, many, many times. The reps in the phone were beyond useless and rude, I was treated like a common criminal. I had to file a complaint with the BBB, only then, did they actually look things up and understood that my account was unjustly frozen, that I had paid and that they needed to fix it.

Well guess what happened two weeks later? They blocked my account again! Started sending me those automated harassing emails 5-6 times in one day! Every time I reply with screen shots of the bank statement and the letter of resolution from Amazon through the BBB! No one ever responded! The reps were even more useless and actually blames me and told me to just pay up! Why would I pay for something twice?! I had to file a second complaint through the BBB, I have been promised this won’t happen again, but I highly doubt it. My account is paid yearly, sadly that means that until April I am stuck having to deal with this! One rep told me to just make a new account?! But wouldn’t reimburse me for the three months of unused money I’d be losing by forfeiting the doomed account! They’ve offered no reassurance! No compensation, no actual solution! They’ve give nothing but grief and anger!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Purchased a product from Amazon while they had a deal going for a free gift card. When added to my cart the item defaulted back to the non-gift card item. Amazon refused to adjust the order price or send the gift card separately. They berated me on the phone and basically called me stupid for “you selected the wrong item” and the only option is to ship back the other item and then to recharge me for the same item and free gift card. Honestly a waste of my time and the time at the distribution center for returns when they could have simply made the adjustment and mailed the gift card.

In all my years of customer service you always made the best effort to make the situation right and Amazon customer service did the exact opposite. It was a simple error and even if it was the customer’s error you never blatantly tell them it was their fault and refuse service then put me on hold pretending to find a manager so I couldn’t complain about their terrible service. Overall completely frustrating and bad business practices. Definitely will think twice before my next purchase when dealing with such indecent people on the other end of the phone at customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I have been an Amazon Prime customer for several years and never had any problems until Amazon decided to deliver the orders themselves. Customer service has been unhelpful in the constant delays and I am tired of the lame reasons they give for not meeting their delivery obligations. When you order something that says it will be there in 2 days that’s what you expect. There is no communication except for an email to your message center later in the evening.

I was promised a phone call from the driver today and the logistics representative I spoke with yesterday said she would call to follow up. But no one from Amazon called today as promised. Amazon needs to leave logistics to the professionals, like UPS and USPS. I hope this complaint will be taken seriously by the Amazon team that reviews them because this is not the type of customer service I have received from them in years past. Amazon has always been reliable and I would like to continue doing business with them, but if this type of negligence continues I will have to take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Amazon's customer service process is very, very broken. The customer service reps I communicated with were friendly and helpful and the problem almost certainly rests with Amazon's management. The following description is not really adequate describe how bad the system really is. I have been a happy Amazon customer for a very, very long time. Three weeks ago, I ordered an expensive camera lens. It did not arrive. When I tried to track the package, I found an incomprehensible note saying the was maybe delayed. I communicate with customer service and was told the order was now cancelled. It wasn't. I tried again - same result. I asked for a refund and was told a gift card equal to the amount of the order would be posted to my account within one hour. It wasn't. Now I'm told that a refund was posted to my credit card. But I will have to wait for 3-5 business days to see if Amazon actually issued the refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amazon.com?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I really love shopping at Amazon because any time I have ever had a problem their customer service has always been great about fixing the issue. Whether it's damaged merchandise and needing a refund to needing to know about a product. Because I have over the years had to deal several times with damaged merchandise from other seller's and a few but not many from Amazon themself and Amazon has always helped me as I said with getting a refund or replacement which ever I asked for.

Some people leave reviews about a bad experience with a seller and not being able to get their problem resolved and blame Amazon for the seller's but it's obvious in their review they didn't take the time to contact Amazon about their issue. I love getting my food for my fur babies at Amazon because I'm a prime member and I know I will get it on time unlike alot of other places who promise a delivery date but don't deliver on that promise. I'm disabled so I get a discount rate for prime membership and that's great that they give back and help people who sometimes need a little extra help. I've shopped at Amazon for several years and have never had a late package. In today's times that's unbeatable service.

Amazon usually has anything and everything a person would need. One place shopping. They are great about the details for item's also about if it's in stock or not. I hate ordering from some places and then after they take your money they send you a email saying oops out of stock but then take 4-5 days or longer to give you a refund,your money back. Anytime I've ever needed a refund it's always been back on my card the next day from Amazon. I just can't say enough about my Amazon experience.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Not only does Amazon have great products but their Customer Service for the most part is wonderful. Although most times you are outsourced to a different country, I personally have found that when I call it's either South Africa or Philippines and they speak so well, understand me and my NY accent and are quite nice. Let’s face it. Most times you are calling CS with a problem or issue. These agents have to listen to 8 hours of complaints so they themselves need a break. No matter how annoyed I am I try to be on my best behavior and as nice as can be because they too need a break with how nasty we as a society can be.

I have run up against any number of odd things that I have had to have handled and never once have I been disrespected or made to feel anything but a valued customer. I have had any number of 3rd party issues and again for the most part Amazon have backed me up 100%. Just remember in the end you get better results when you're nicer. It's even easier to be a nicer person than negative. ***I have never worked for nor do I know of anyone who has worked for this company. I have also never worked CS in this capacity..

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Unprecedented. The perfect word to describe Amazon. In every positive sense of that word! All because of one man - Jeff Bezos. What an entrepreneur! What a vision! This is from personal experience. Let me explain. I had given up all hope, after a horrible experience with Amazon.ae (formerly Souq.com) - due to a Herculean effort to get an order cancelled and the subsequent refund issued. I have never faced such a feedback-resistant team in my life! They were robotically answering my calls and sending me monotonous, unhelpful emails, followed by absolutely zero action!

Hiding behind all sorts of implausible excuses - ‘the seller is not reachable’ (in a place like Dubai, where the mobile phone and fibre-optic internet services are nothing less than 4G!), ‘we are unable to cancel your order’ (shipping it ten hours after I had clearly cancelled it in writing), ‘you can cancel the delivery when it is delivered’, ’the refund could then take up to one week to be issued’, etc., etc. Extremely frustrating conversations! I even had a customer service manager here call me from a U.K. number (with dodgy call quality!), who took nearly ten minutes to get the order number right, followed by an unkept commitment to initiate the refund. This was the general tone of the team here. A despicable experience for any long-term customer. I had virtually lost all hope of resolving this and convincing them that this was definitely not expected of the megabrand that they were representing! Dejected! To say the least.

Out of sheer frustration, I emailed my grievance to Jeff Bezos, of course not expecting a reply from a trillionaire sitting 7,400 miles away and then again, why would he bother responding to someone that he has never met or heard of before? Guess what happened? The response came. Prompt and extremely effective! Within a few hours, the entire mess by the team here was sorted out and the refund initiated. His response mentioned that he will take “any action necessary”. Any action. That is how much the founder of Amazon loves his customers. It’s not by fluke that they are No. 1 and will continue to remain so. Their founder’s principles are strong and his corporate vision is clear. Nothing but the best, for the most valuable asset that a business can have - its customers. I wish this absolute Legend all the very best.

I would advise customers with serious complaints to address them directly to him and feel safe in the knowledge that they will be resolved. I will continue shopping with Amazon only because Jeff founded the company. Thank you Sir, for caring, when you easily could have looked the other way and ignored my communication in the bulk of emails that the richest man of earth is bound to receive. The corporate world and the other global business icons have so much to learn from you. So, so much. Thank you.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have been a Prime member for many years. I use Amazon for most of my shopping needs except groceries. I haven’t really tried that as an option. They offer a lot for the cost of membership. This includes commercial free music, unlimited photo storage (not including video), free movies and TV shows and two day free shipping.

Also, I have never had a problem returning an item. Their customer service is always helpful including their technical support. They stand by what they have represented online. I had an order that showed to be delayed from the promised date, when I called they gave me five dollars off to use as credit; The package actually got there on the original promise date anyway. They also hold their sellers to the same standards. When I had purchased a mattress and adjustable bed from the website and had a problem they told me to call the distributor company and if I was not satisfied with a solution I was to call them back and let them know. For a very large company they operate like a small business with great customer service.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I’ve been using Amazon for 19 years and I swear by it. I’ve probably ordered well over a thousand items and my satisfaction rate is something like 98%. I certainly do my research by comparing prices with other online retailers and will use another retailer when their prices are cheaper. I rarely have a problem with the purchased product but when I do it always gets resolved. They also do a great job with inventory. I used a couple other online retailers, purchasing (supposedly in stock) items with guaranteed Christmas deliveries only to have my order cancelled right before Christmas as the item was out of stock. This has never happened with Amazon.

My only real complaint is with Amazon’s online reviews. Many of them are complete garbage, giving 5 star ratings on junk products. I’ve learned how to spot this and can now work around it; but I was duped a few times before I figured it out. Additionally purchasing from Amazon 3rd party sellers can sometimes present problems. Research their return policy before buying. Amazon’s return policy has always been fair and I’ve never had a problem. I’m also a Prime customer, so not only do I enjoy swift delivery but I get Prime video and music which I enjoy tremendously. I think as consumers we all need to do our homework; and while Amazon is not perfect; it has worked near enough to perfect for me.

Amazon.com Company Information