3.78/5

96 Amazon Instant Video Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 7, 2019

Selection and quality are both good, but occasionally I have to pay for movies that are supposedly included in my Prime membership. When using this in a web-browser, it is easy to find specific movies, but on a TV, it is a pain in the butt using just the TV remote. My remote has an A/N keyboard, but it seldom works. Though to be truthful, I can't tell if it is an issue with the TV [Vizio] or the Amazon service.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Amazon Video services appear to match most of the services provided by competitors, so as a retiree on fixed income I see no need to own 2 or more monthly service packages. My Amazon video is included in my annual Prime membership which provides for many more services and offerings NOT available on other video subscription services thus allowing me to have a broader choice for audio, shipping and eating (groceries at Whole Foods). The most cost effective choice for our family.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

It's great but the movies are limited. We had DirecTV then they went up to $120 then Dish Network they went up to $99 and just couldn't afford it so we bought the Amazon Firestick for $45 and bought an antenna as well so we get several channels free then we have separately the Amazon Firestick for $120 a year. We are very happy. Only problem is we can't get Monday night football or any sports on ESPN without ordering through another provider but we are happy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I am somewhat new to streaming services. I tried streaming through my Sony Smart TV (4 yrs old) but had a lot of buffering issues. I then got a better router and it got some better. I bought myself a Roku Plus for Christmas and it has made all of the channels GREAT!! No Buffering. Netflix and Amazon Prime are the best. I watch a few channels on HULU but the programming is less current on HULU. I watch their original series on Netflix and HULU. I am working toward cutting the cord. Grateful to all of the streaming services.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

While it's a palatable alternative to cable and their continuously escalating bills, I would like to see an ala carte feature in which we can choose services and channels that we're most likely to use in a bundled package of, say, 5 channels/services for $25/month along with an expanded range of channels to choose from. Of course, premium channels would cost extra but I'm most interested in channels such as Discovery, ESPN, Motor Trend, History and Fox Sports; paying $25/month for just those 5 channels would be nirvana for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amazon Instant Video?

Original review: May 3, 2019

Aside from the content never getting refreshed, if there does happen to be something that catches the eye, there is limited info and zero option to read further unless I Google or IMDB the show. Very ** stupid for what we get charged????

Original review: May 2, 2019

My wife and I seldom make it through an entire movie in one night. So, we start watching a movie, pause it about halfway through, and pick it up again the next night to watch the remaining portion. The issue is, when we start the movie the next night, all of sudden, it is now a RENT to WATCH movie. This just started happening and has happened two nights in a row. What a rip off! I guess it is time to fire up the Plex server. See ya later Amazon!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Amazon video streaming has become so poor that I cannot finish watching shows. It goes to low resolution, then stalls out and says insufficient bandwidth. At the same time I can go to Netflix or Hulu and have excellent streaming with full resolution. Absolutely horrible!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I enjoy Amazon but the movie selection isn't great considering you're paying for it. Doesn't change much and when they add movies they are old. The prime movies are okay, but the ones you really want to watch you have to rent. Already paid for the subscription, why pay another 4 to 6 dollars to rent a movie?

Original review: March 18, 2019

Overall streaming has been the new option vs having traditional cable or satellite services. I do see on the horizon a similar shift which at some point will mirror the exact service that they are trying to replace. The cost of streaming has been on a constant rise and I don’t see a plateau in sight. This is discouraging to a consumer like myself.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Been a customer for over 5 years very disappointed. They actually need current movies. Subscribers currently pay a lot with Amazon membership. One would think we would get better selections and movies, TV shows, etc.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I really enjoy my Amazon subscription. You not only generally have current program options but you can rent and buy shows and movies too. I use this service along with Hulu frequently. I use Netflix to a much lesser degree.

Original review: March 13, 2019

We have been having problems with our Amazon Prime Video on our Sony TV. No problems with any other apps or Netflix. I called three times over the last 3 weeks and have been told they would call us back. No one has ever called us back. A problem ticket was opened 2 weeks ago and today I was told it was closed out and the problem was resolved. This is not true. We are still having problems and no one called us. I ask to speak to a supervisor today and after hearing my problem, he hung up on me. What terrible customer service!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I like the content and easy navigation. But streaming issues lately over the last couple of months. It used to be much better without the stuttering. Other streaming services that I currently use don't have the same issue.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We tried Hulu and Netflix but they had a lot of programming that we didn’t care for that did not reflect our senior want for entertainment. We enjoy the British mysteries and prime channel. We seldomly want to commit to the longer movies especially when the movies are older ones that we have seen before. We still rely on broadcast channels for some shows but there is less and less on CBS, NBC and the others.

Original review: March 11, 2019

It is nice to have because it is included in the Prime price and they have good content, original shows and some recent movies. I would not pay for any extension of this service or rack up individual charges.

Original review: March 10, 2019

None of the services I have checked out have a very good variety. I like science and documentary programming, and it is very limited. If it is available, I have to also get channels I do not watch. In my opinion, we need services where we can pick individual channels, not groups of channels.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I just use Netflix most of the time for entertainment. Like the Originals that they have. I use Amazon some time but mostly Netflix. I like being able to watch an entire series when I want to and not have to wait week to week on Network TV.

Original review: March 8, 2019

More options for the programming, better selections. Cheaper prices on packages and for movies and series also for channels offered, maybe more on bundles in the future. Tighter music control for member’s cross reference on song tracks and groups.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Overpriced. Video content ratings are very needed. When one selection is made, 50 similar themes show up. Hate that parasitic and creepy feature. Just because I like one movie, doesn't mean I want to see 10,000 substandard videos. Sometimes, I wonder where Amazon and Netflix get many videos they offer with membership, as they seem from some Hollywood basement sale. Otherwise let me choose only quality movies I want to watch. Offer newer releases.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I especially like it that recent releases and foreign film are often available. And Netflix documentary series are excellent... especially Tales by Light. I do think there are too many "action" films with violence... crap films offered.

Original review: March 6, 2019

While I do find that some movies too expensive or only available for sale otherwise I think Amazon Prime Video is pretty good. I don't have much to say beyond that but do like the quality and speed of the streaming.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Amazon never fail in streaming service whether it's old or new content. I've had several occasions to use other services but they were not reliable. Even stream service with Dish and DirecTV I experienced buffering.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I enjoy being able to watch original shows as well as classics. I also like that a selection of programs are included with Amazon Prime membership. Some shows may be a limited time. The only issue I have is that some pograms still need to be purchased or rented to be viewed. You can also add a month fee for certain premium programing.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Decent selections but not quite up to speed on more current movies. Otherwise good choices. Upset that Netflix is dropping some of the Marvel series that I watch. Will probably cancel the service as a result.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Amazon is good but I sometimes question the costs versus the services. The services used to be fantastic but is slipping to a good. Has me checking other services. If costs go up again, I will change. Netflix is my next.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I've discovered that Amazon Prime video cuts off program credits for all of their TV series (that I've watched) by automatically jumping to next next episode before the credits and music of the previous episode have finished (or even started). Some might not be bothered by this but being in the music business where credits and royalties matter, I am! I've also noticed that Amazon has made it harder (impossible) for someone like myself to go back to that spot of the previous episode to see the credits and listen to the music! I believe it's actually illegal for Amazon to do this. Since there appears to be no way to contact Amazon about this issue directly (they have pre-defined categories of complaints that this issue does not fit under), I hope they notice my review and 1 star rating!

Original review: March 3, 2019

It suits my needs - as a Prime Member, most movies are free. Some TV series are PPV @ $24-30 per season. I binge watch many free and paid for series.

Original review: March 2, 2019

All are the same, you pay money for a service, so that you can pay more money to watch anything worthwhile, what a great idea, for them, not for me. It's supposed to get you off cable, but 1 you still need cable subscriptions to watch any good channels. And 2, in one night, you can pay a month's worth of cable cost watching bad, OLD, movies.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I'm an Amazon Prime customer and Amazon Video is included in the membership and I couldn't be happier because there's not much of a variety with my cable service. Amazon have many genres to choose from.

Amazon Instant Video expert review by Jonathan Trout

Amazon Instant Video is a digital movie and TV show streaming service. It is separate from Amazon Prime, although Prime members have free access to a lot of video content in Instant Video’s library. You don’t have to be Prime member to rent movies and shows from Instant Video.

• Á la carte streaming: Similar to going into a rental store and renting a movie, Instant Video lets you rent or buy movies and TV shows, one at a time, directly from your supported device. You have 30 days to watch a rented movie and 48 hours to finish it once you’ve started.

• Selection: Amazon says they have 10,000 movies and TV shows in their library available for rent or purchase via Instant Video. Amazon Prime members can view thousands of those at no additional cost.

• Price: There is no monthly or yearly subscription with Instant Video. Simply pay for what you watch. Prices vary depending on the title and generally range from $2 to $6 for renting. Buy movies for $10 or more.

• Supported devices: Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles like Xbox 360 and PlayStation and more.

• Multiple devices: You can stream Instant Video from up to two devices at once.

• Best for: people who only want to rent movies on occasion and Amazon Prime members.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout