3.85/5
Based on 52 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

52 Amazon Instant Video Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Very satisfied with both services. Have found the choices are varied and quality is very good. I have found the BBC mysteries to be superb. Rarely watch the series on regular TV anymore.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Lots of great choices in TV, Movie, and Amazon. I miss a few of my cable channels and the occasional new release movie but the cost savings more than makes up for it. I was paying $174.00 a month to cable and was watching so little of the content that it was a real waste of money. So, though my father gripes loudly over the loss of his 24/7 news channels, I'm overall satisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

It is very good and I like it very much. It offers a variety of sports, movies and series and I get to see things that I don't normally see. Amazon offers the most at the prime price and it also delivers music.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Lot of things to chose from, but many are old and have been on free tv. Lot of movies I am not into, like zombies and such. Not much of the newer movies free. They want you to buy them, or just watch the trailer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Just not enough movies, era genre that I like. Most of the things are with actors I have never heard of. Then they hide and hit you with rental or buy screen. But we do like quite a few of the foreign sitcoms.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amazon Instant Video?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I watch Amazon quite often but find the quality of the stream to be lacking quite often also. The program variety is not up to par with other streaming services. I also wish the ability to stop or pause was a one click option without having to select twice.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

It's better than cable and cheaper. Still a lot of decisions to be made but at half the cost. I believe in simplicity. Plus, I watch what I want to watch, not what's available.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Amazon Prime is average... The selection is limited and if you want certain shows you are expected to pay extra. Amazon has now increased the price making it even more expensive for an average experience.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I am quite dissatisfied with Prime's streaming quality and the app they've created. Even late at night (2-3 am EST), when the stress on the internet should be low, Prime is *constantly* buffering, breaking up, and just plain failing. I then switch over to Netflix and BAM, I'm getting a very acceptable viewing experience. Prime's failure to provide such an experience is absolutely unacceptable. Not to mention that their subtitles are lagging behind the video. My girlfriend is paying for Prime, so I watch it once in a while. But if I had to pay for it separately I would drop it in a heartbeat. Take a hint Amazon, Netflix is kicking your ** in every way.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The streaming service is included in our Amazon Prime. There are many older movies and tv series included. Only a few original shows are available and little to no sports. They do have movies for rent similar to other streaming services.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Entertainment especially movies are outdated, quality of the old movies mostly poor or found on free to air tv. Repeats, mostly horrors or gang war, no British comedy, all American sitcom that is below standard. Wouldn't watch most of these on free to air let alone pay for it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

While it's a palatable alternative to cable and their continuously escalating bills, I would like to see an ala carte feature in which we can choose services and channels that we're most likely to use in a bundled package of, say, 5 channels/services for $25/month along with an expanded range of channels to choose from. Of course, premium channels would cost extra but I'm most interested in channels such as Discovery, ESPN, Motor Trend, History and Fox Sports; paying $25/month for just those 5 channels would be nirvana for me.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I think that Amazon Prime is a great way to save on shipping while including entertainment for the whole family. I love the Amazon original shows and also the music you get too. The price for Amazon is a little expensive but worth it for everything you get.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

It comes with my Amazon Prime. No muss no fuss. I had the others and they are not for us. Too much trouble, I hate monthly billing, paying by the year is much better. Besides, I can't stand Liberal programming. Companies need to stay out of politics.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I love streaming because I can watch what I want when I want. The price I pay for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime is much cheaper than cable. When you combine all three there isn't much you can not watch.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Amazon is my third and last choice for watching streaming stuff. I have since cancelled Amazon Prime because of the new $119 yearly cost. I do not use a Kindle or their book and magazine services, their programming is the worst I have seen. I would love to see a monthly rate and/or for them to separate their streaming, from shipping, from wardrobe, from books etc.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

The only reason I rarely watch Amazon is because I have Prime which I use a huge amount for orders & Pantry every month. And my son told me I had to watch several original series & movies, now I'm hooked, like Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle, Marvelous Mrs.Maisel & different movies nowhere else but may be free here.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Amazon's video quality is not adjustable. I get what they send regardless. If I had a limited service then I have no idea what my usage might be. The video quality is not acceptable. I receive it pixelated and the audio is very low I can't even hear it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Amazon Prime which includes access to Amazon television, and movie selections as well as to free two day shipping and access to thousands of Kindle books is an incredible deal at $99 per year. The Fire Stick which is the method I use to steam television through Amazon is more than reasonably priced. The quality of the streaming is almost always perfect. The variety of programs and movies available is immense.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I got Amazon to try. Homecoming was great so I started watching Mrs M and Mozart in the Jungle. Got to season two and season three then it stopped streaming those shows. I’ve called your company. No help. Said they get back with me, nothing, now here’s the screwy part. I’m watching Vanity Fair and it’s working but I’m crossing my finger every time I try watching.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Sometimes the results are not worth the time and effort taken getting through all the self-glorification. I am well aware I am in Netflix or Amazon Prime, I chose the streamer. If this isn't enough how about "four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth..."?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Fragmented. You have to sign up and then cancel channels to see the things you want to see, in order to keep costs reasonable. The cancellation process does not go smoothly with Amazon, through which many of the additional channels are accessed.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

The Prime membership has priorities - free and quick shipping, HBO Showtime, and movies etc. I’ve been a member for many years. Also there’s music, 1000s titles and many many books. Amazon even has groceries - fresh vegetables with delivery. They have clothes, shoes and everything you would need.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I’ve had Amazon prime for the free shipping for years, and begin watching Amazon video over a year ago. At first it seemed like a good thing with lots of movies to watch, but then over time they began to charge extra for most of the movies that I wanted to watch. Then yesterday, for the first time, I watched a movie that was consistently interrupted with repetitive ads for Amazon products. This was completely obnoxious and unacceptable and the reason that we avoid network TV. I called Amazon to ask if this was their new norm and what I could do to stop the ads, and was told yes this was happening now and that there was nothing they could do to stop it. I was so frustrated that I canceled Amazon prime altogether. I order too many things anyway. I’ll just wait till I have enough things to get the free shipping. I’m just disgusted with all the constant advertising that we’re all exposed to every day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

The variety of shows is better than the other available services - next to the crap shown on Netflix and Hulu, they are stellar - but bad next to good - awful ain't great - a better alternative is HBO and best - read reviews, buy the disks and forget about subscriptions.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I love Amazon. I get free 2 day delivery on bulk items right to my door. I get a discount for being an EBT card member. I don't have any transportation and my cats need their food. I get to watch awesome shows and movies for $5.99 a month. To check out Amazon's many other features for Prime Membership...just go to Amazon.com today!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have no problems with any of those streaming services. They're all good and I have no problems with the price also. Every one should try at least one time. You can see all the great shows that you can not get on regular TV's.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Amazon has some great Originals. However, their streaming can be inconsistent as when network is busy, the quality drops momentarily. Also some of their shows do not have subtitles or subtitles are not in sync with the dialogues. Wish that there were more shows to choose from. Still it is still good value for money.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I can honestly say that in my 75 years I have never experienced customer service as bad as Amazon Video Services. I tried to contact them and had to wait 30 minutes on a CHAT line only to have them hang up before I could explain my situation.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I chose this service initially because there was a specific tv show being talked about that was only shown thru this service and then I kept it because it just made sense. It's easy to use and it has a lot of good tv shows and movies available and it's not very expensive either -- it also shows that people talk about and helps me feel like I'm in the know and keeping up with them. But it could always increase the amount of shows and movies able to be watched -- and it could always lower its price somehow.

Amazon Instant Video expert review by Jonathan Trout

Amazon Instant Video is a digital movie and TV show streaming service. It is separate from Amazon Prime, although Prime members have free access to a lot of video content in Instant Video’s library. You don’t have to be Prime member to rent movies and shows from Instant Video.

• Á la carte streaming: Similar to going into a rental store and renting a movie, Instant Video lets you rent or buy movies and TV shows, one at a time, directly from your supported device. You have 30 days to watch a rented movie and 48 hours to finish it once you’ve started.

• Selection: Amazon says they have 10,000 movies and TV shows in their library available for rent or purchase via Instant Video. Amazon Prime members can view thousands of those at no additional cost.

• Price: There is no monthly or yearly subscription with Instant Video. Simply pay for what you watch. Prices vary depending on the title and generally range from $2 to $6 for renting. Buy movies for $10 or more.

• Supported devices: Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles like Xbox 360 and PlayStation and more.

• Multiple devices: You can stream Instant Video from up to two devices at once.

• Best for: people who only want to rent movies on occasion and Amazon Prime members.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout