Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.93/5

Amazon Instant Video Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2020

Typically I can find the movies and TV shows I want to see there and, if they don't have it, I can use their search engine to look at where else it might be. There's enough free shows to watch and the costs for the pay shows are often reasonable. The play back quality depends on your WiFi connection but generally standard speeds work really well. I have the Amazon Fire TV dongle which is not the best form factor for me since it's a little clunky looking but it's not a big deal.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Now that a large portion of people choose to stream over cable and satellite, it's great having real options. I use a Fire Stick, have Amazon Prime which gives me access to Prime movies, and stream cable channels on Fubu. With Prime as a my primary option for movies, they offer not just a library of recent, and good oldies included in my subscription with Prime, but also have options to a larger selection but with added price per movie which can go up over the $5.00 mark depending on if you choose to stream in HD or standard. You have 24 hours to enjoy once you purchase and start watching. While I enjoy the free selection, there have been times I have scrolled through looking for free movies to add to my Queue to be watched later, when making a day off into a lazy movie day that a one time added movie from days, or weeks prior is no longer free but now requires to be paid for! What?!?!

While I have not have any issues with streaming quality, or with selection of movies, the one thing that has let me down is that, having something ready to watch at a later time only to find out it is no longer available without paying for it now, or better yet, I started to watch a movie one day, came back a day later to find out that I could not play it again as it became one of those movies overnight requiring me to have to pay to finish watching.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2020

The good: Amazon has the best streaming service; Unlike its competition, it rarely has a glitch and all movies run without problems or having to be a reset; The skip ahead or behind feature is great; The pause and play button works fine; The picture and sound quality is outstanding; It seldom provides any reasons to contact customer service. The Bad: Contacting customer service is problematic; Too many movies produced these days are rubbish concealed behind a glitzy/ shiny veneer. And what's going on with the screen periodically turning black when logged in to Amazon?

Original review: May 12, 2020

This is probably the service with the most variety of content. While they don't offer many movies fresh from first run as part of included content, you can get almost anything for an additional rental fee. They have rating and reviews available so you can make an informed decision before watching something and they include the service bundled with their Prime membership. The exclusive content is pretty good too.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I find myself turning to Amazon first whenever I am looking to watch a movie or a series. I find that there are plenty of options that I find entertaining. I did choose Showtime so I could watch Ray Donovan that I found riveting. I am watching Man in the High Castle and enjoying it. I also watch some of the PBS series here too like World on Fire and the Jane Austen movies and/or series. There are people that have several apps and jump around to watch different things. Perhaps I am lazy? Besides streaming I read and listen to podcasts too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amazon Instant Video?

Original review: June 12, 2020

This App has a great variety of movies and TV shows. We especially like the older TV series that bring back memories of younger days. The movies are sorted into categories and it is easy to find one to suit your mood.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I just wanted to let everyone know it is a very simple system to use. I would recommend it to anyone. Also it give you a variety of selection, you never have to watch the same show over and over. I love it. Would recommend to anyone.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Honestly I have had no issues. We as a family truly enjoy it. Once in a long while there are quality issues but I believe it is the internet and not the program. I would greatly recommend it to anyone.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I have had Amazon Prime for 4-5 years at least. Didn’t realize I had access to prime video until last year. Kinda still don’t understand if I pay for it or not? You know? It’s all combined into my prime account but it’s weird not paying for it.

Original review: June 7, 2020

It's great, good selections and the price is right in my budget. If you're on a fixed income this is the way to go! I have been a customer with them for over a year now. You should try it today or very soon!

Amazon Instant Video author review by Jonathan Trout

Amazon Instant Video is a digital movie and TV show streaming service. It is separate from Amazon Prime, although Prime members have free access to a lot of video content in Instant Video’s library. You don’t have to be Prime member to rent movies and shows from Instant Video.

• Á la carte streaming: Similar to going into a rental store and renting a movie, Instant Video lets you rent or buy movies and TV shows, one at a time, directly from your supported device. You have 30 days to watch a rented movie and 48 hours to finish it once you’ve started.

• Selection: Amazon says they have 10,000 movies and TV shows in their library available for rent or purchase via Instant Video. Amazon Prime members can view thousands of those at no additional cost.

• Price: There is no monthly or yearly subscription with Instant Video. Simply pay for what you watch. Prices vary depending on the title and generally range from $2 to $6 for renting. Buy movies for $10 or more.

• Supported devices: Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles like Xbox 360 and PlayStation and more.

• Multiple devices: You can stream Instant Video from up to two devices at once.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team