3.66/5

99 Amazon Instant Video Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 7, 2019

Selection and quality are both good, but occasionally I have to pay for movies that are supposedly included in my Prime membership. When using this in a web-browser, it is easy to find specific movies, but on a TV, it is a pain in the butt using just the TV remote. My remote has an A/N keyboard, but it seldom works. Though to be truthful, I can't tell if it is an issue with the TV [Vizio] or the Amazon service.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Amazon Video services appear to match most of the services provided by competitors, so as a retiree on fixed income I see no need to own 2 or more monthly service packages. My Amazon video is included in my annual Prime membership which provides for many more services and offerings NOT available on other video subscription services thus allowing me to have a broader choice for audio, shipping and eating (groceries at Whole Foods). The most cost effective choice for our family.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

It's great but the movies are limited. We had DirecTV then they went up to $120 then Dish Network they went up to $99 and just couldn't afford it so we bought the Amazon Firestick for $45 and bought an antenna as well so we get several channels free then we have separately the Amazon Firestick for $120 a year. We are very happy. Only problem is we can't get Monday night football or any sports on ESPN without ordering through another provider but we are happy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I am somewhat new to streaming services. I tried streaming through my Sony Smart TV (4 yrs old) but had a lot of buffering issues. I then got a better router and it got some better. I bought myself a Roku Plus for Christmas and it has made all of the channels GREAT!! No Buffering. Netflix and Amazon Prime are the best. I watch a few channels on HULU but the programming is less current on HULU. I watch their original series on Netflix and HULU. I am working toward cutting the cord. Grateful to all of the streaming services.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

While it's a palatable alternative to cable and their continuously escalating bills, I would like to see an ala carte feature in which we can choose services and channels that we're most likely to use in a bundled package of, say, 5 channels/services for $25/month along with an expanded range of channels to choose from. Of course, premium channels would cost extra but I'm most interested in channels such as Discovery, ESPN, Motor Trend, History and Fox Sports; paying $25/month for just those 5 channels would be nirvana for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amazon Instant Video?

Original review: June 16, 2019

Amazon has some decent shows. The thing that makes me mad is you start a series with say 6 seasons and after watching 2 or 3 seasons they want you to pay 24.99 for each remaining season. Netflix has a much better page layout, and is user friendly. Amazon can and should do better! American greed at its best.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I've seen better quality on old TV's with bunny ear antenna and tin foil! I've got great internet and a new smart TV, yet I sit here trying to watch Grimm, and it's a pixelated fuzzy hot mess. I am literally angry because I don't understand how or why streaming could be so bad. I have EVERY major streaming service, and this is the only one that looks like this. Utter garbage!

Original review: June 8, 2019

For the 1st time, I came across a rude customer rep. on Amazon. His name is Kevin. Unfortunately, I am not able to load our chat; but anyhow I decided to ignore it since it was the 1st I came across. So I have given him the benefit of doubt, probably he wasn't having a good day.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Aside from the content never getting refreshed, if there does happen to be something that catches the eye, there is limited info and zero option to read further unless I Google or IMDB the show. Very ** stupid for what we get charged????

Original review: May 2, 2019

My wife and I seldom make it through an entire movie in one night. So, we start watching a movie, pause it about halfway through, and pick it up again the next night to watch the remaining portion. The issue is, when we start the movie the next night, all of sudden, it is now a RENT to WATCH movie. This just started happening and has happened two nights in a row. What a rip off! I guess it is time to fire up the Plex server. See ya later Amazon!

Amazon Instant Video expert review by Jonathan Trout

Amazon Instant Video is a digital movie and TV show streaming service. It is separate from Amazon Prime, although Prime members have free access to a lot of video content in Instant Video’s library. You don’t have to be Prime member to rent movies and shows from Instant Video.

• Á la carte streaming: Similar to going into a rental store and renting a movie, Instant Video lets you rent or buy movies and TV shows, one at a time, directly from your supported device. You have 30 days to watch a rented movie and 48 hours to finish it once you’ve started.

• Selection: Amazon says they have 10,000 movies and TV shows in their library available for rent or purchase via Instant Video. Amazon Prime members can view thousands of those at no additional cost.

• Price: There is no monthly or yearly subscription with Instant Video. Simply pay for what you watch. Prices vary depending on the title and generally range from $2 to $6 for renting. Buy movies for $10 or more.

• Supported devices: Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles like Xbox 360 and PlayStation and more.

• Multiple devices: You can stream Instant Video from up to two devices at once.

• Best for: people who only want to rent movies on occasion and Amazon Prime members.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout