2.82/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

28 Allure Beauty Box Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I ordered my first box in July 2018 expecting to still be able to receive the July box according to the cutoff times on their site, but of course, it ended up selling out so I had to wait over a month for the August box to ship out and then eventually be delivered. I ended up sending a cancellation email and was offered a promotional offer of 4 boxes for $10 each, I agreed to keep the subscription and waited for my next box. A few weeks later I received a letter in the mail telling me my card had been declined, I called the customer service number on the letter and was told somebody updated my credit card and when the monthly charge went in it was declined.

I don't know where they got this random card from that was updated because I never did such a thing. There's no record of me sending an email or me calling them to update my card from the original American Express card used when I started my subscription to the alleged Mastercard on file that they claim was denied, so how is it that /I/ updated the cards in their system exactly? Well, I called them today 10/18/2018 and the CSR spoke to me like I was dumb and informed me I did not receive my September box because I had canceled my service on 8/22/2018 and restarted it that same day but the September box had just sold out on 8/20/2018 - how convenient.

I don't know how concerned I should be about an incorrect credit card information being added to the wrong account. I don't know what happened and I'm concerned about the security of my information or if this is simply a ploy they're using to explain that they couldn't fulfill my order because they sold out before they could fulfill the orders for existing customers. To add insult to injury, my October box still hasn't even been mailed out yet so who knows when the heck I will receive it, but they do have the 4 boxes for $10 offer saved to my account. Ugh! The box seems like a really good value, but be prepared for a possibility of huge hassles and potential problems if you subscribe.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Worst experience ever. It has now been a month and a half and I still have not received my box. I have made numerous phone calls to customer service and each time they were curt and rude. I finally got a tracking number after different reps kept telling me different stories. The tracking information said it would be updated within 42 to 48 hours. Going on 96 hours tracking information has still not updated so I called customer service. The gentleman that picked up the phone treated me like I was an imbecile.

He also insinuated that I was a liar. I read him the tracking number and I told him what other reps had told me in reference to receiving my box. He said, "I say trumps what any other customer service representative may have told you." I was like what? He then proceeded to tell me that even with the tracking information I probably won’t receive my package for another two weeks to which I exclaimed, "You mean I have paid for this box and it will take roughly 2 months for me to receive it?" And he said, "Yep. Go on the website. Look for yourself." To which I canceled the order and then he became even more discourteous and rude. Do you not use this company if you want good customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Beauty Box delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Spoke with customer service on 9/14 to update my credit card info. Rep stated that I was all set and I would receive a confirmation email which I did on 9/17 alone with Allure charging my account in the amount of $16.33 for the Sept box. On 9/21 my account was suspended. "Suspended customer's request???" What's that. I called and they said they don't know what happened and don't know why the account said that. Then she told me that I would not receive the Sept box and would have to wait until October. WHAT!!! Your mistake and you charged me for NOTHING!!! DON'T DO IT. SAVE YOURSELF A BIG HEADACHE!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I ordered the August box on 8/18. I received it today, 9/20. Yes, a whole month later. I canceled my subscription because I thought it would make little sense to have to be billed for a 2nd box before I got the first. Customer service didn't seem bothered when I told them why I was canceling but cared enough to offer me a subscription to Allure magazine, at my expense. Um, I'll pass. Upon arrival, the box was stained and wet, thanks to two of the samples that opened inside. One of the products I received wasn't advertised as being in the box but they were sweet enough to include a detailed description of the item I didn't get.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I signed up for the first month promotion for $7.50. They charge my card and 1.5 weeks later, they charged my card again for the next month subscription even though I haven't received the first box yet. I emailed them to cancel, they replied me with some promotion "4 boxes for $10", I refused but they ignored my answer. I kept emailing them to cancel but never got an answer from them. The next thing I know is that they already shipped another box. This is outrageous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allure Beauty Box?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Subscribed to the beauty box via MSA in early August, inputted a different shipping and billing address and they shipped it to my billing address anyway. I called and asked Allure why would they ask for that information if they're going to ship it to the billing address regardless, and they said that there are multiple ways to sign up and usually it defaults to the billing address, even if the shipping option is specified (so why even ask for shipping if that's the case? remove the option?). I contacted them multiple times via phone to see when they would send my beauty box (to the correct address this time). I was originally told 5-10 business days. After ten business days with no box, I reached back out and this time spoke to a manager. She was understanding, refunded my money, said she would send it out again but she informed me they only ship boxes out ONCE A MONTH. it would be 21-30 days for me to receive that box.

Why would another representative give me incorrect shipping information? Was she just pulling random numbers out of her **? I was just charged for my September box and received the notification it had shipped on the 10th. I have a feeling I'll see the September box before I ever receive my August box. I reached out once again inquiring about my August beauty box. The rep finally provided me with a tracking number and said it is out of their hands and to check with USPS. I inputted the tracking info into USPS' website... it states they're still awaiting the item.

At this point, I have given up on this beauty box. I have completely given up on Allure as a company and will gladly spend money on any other beauty box on the market. Play! by Sephora is a great one with FANTASTIC customer service representatives. FabFitFun is another amazing box. Ipsy has better customer service than Allure. This experience has been terrible. So frustrated and made me write off this entire company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have been charged for two months, two boxes. I have not received any boxes. Whenever I email them, they deny taking money out of my account and tell me to have the bank take care of it. RIDICULOUS. I hope that no one else subscribes. Where I come from, this is called theft.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Do not, I repeat do NOT subscribe! I’ve had the subscription for 3 months and I have gotten one box. The second month when I didn’t receive the box I contacted customer service and was told they would be sending me a replacement with tracking because the first tracking showed it was sent back to them for an error on their part. After a week I had not received the email with tracking so I contacted them again, this time I was told I would not be given tracking but the box should show up within 2 to 3 weeks.

It has now been over three weeks, a third month has come and been billed and I have yet to receive the last month's box or tracking for this month's box. I have contacted Customer Service again and requested a refund on last month's and this month's and cancellation of my service. I’ve read some of the reviews that said that they don’t necessarily cancel when they say they do so I’m prepared to contact my bank if need be. I’m filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've been a subscriber for 5 months. For the last 4 of those 5 months, I've been charged for the box and weeks later have had to email to ask where the box is. Only then does my box ever get shipped. Today I decided to call instead of email. The first person I spoke to was very friendly and understood my frustration. He told me he saw in my account that my box has "missed the truck" literally every month. He transferred me to a supervisor to further assist me. That's where the problems really start. He left me with this HORRIBLE woman who was the nastiest customer service representative I've ever spoken to. She basically tried to tell me that it didn't miss the truck and it was leaving the warehouse today.

I asked why I had to prompt my box to be shipped every month and she interrupted me (which she continued to do over the duration of the call) and told me it was not because of my promoting. I said I felt like that was a lie because it's happened every single month and the person I spoke to previously admitted my box kept missing the truck and he didn't know why. She then flipped out and wouldn't stop yelling at me about calling her a liar. I kept trying to say I was sorry for saying I felt like she was lying to which she continuously interrupted.

I told her I was the customer and she probably shouldn't speak to me this way and she went off again saying I was the one who was being awful. I wasn't. But even if I was, I am the customer who clearly is frustrated because my money keeps being taken with no box showing up until I ask where it is. She then interrupted me and told me she was transferring my call. She didn't. She left me on hold for several minutes. I hung up and called back to cancel my account and request a refund. Do not become a subscriber. There are a million other beauty boxes that aren't littered with bad customer service and terrible warehouses.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I am very disheartened by the fact that for the last three or so months my card has been charged at random times throughout the month, I do not receive products until late the next month when promised otherwise, and I have not received any assistance from customer service as they take too long to reply and only send copy and paste replies. I have had a particular issue with allure beauty box and after requesting they reimburse my account or cancel my membership, they went ahead and processed my debit card instead. This company is untrustworthy and even though I try to get reimburse or cancel, it seems to fail each and every time.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I'm living in France and I offered a one year subscription to my sister in law who lives in Las Vegas in December 23, 2017. Allure Box has charged my bank account for the total amount of the subscription and I've received an order confirmation without any order number, since then (we are now mid January) I absolutely have no news about the shipment of any box although it is mentioned on their FAQ "If you are a new subscriber, your box will ship no later than 10 days after sign up". I wrote a complaint to BEAUTYBOX@ALLURE.COM on Jan 2nd and never got any response either. I call it robbery and now I'm about to contact my bank to oppose the payment as an fraud. I'm so unhappy I needed to share this very bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

First they said they were going to send me something free for signing up and the free item they sent me was completely dried out. The delivery was completely late and on top of that after speaking with the supervisor that said they would call me back I never heard anything. The worst experience ever.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I am a subscriber to It cosmetics, I like it because the makeup itself is light and provides full coverage without caking and it looks fresh all day and I have never heard of the other listed makeup boxes. I like that I can choose how many items I want and which items I receive and pay for it over 3 months. I also like that I know what I am getting and can order what I want or need, that they are also coming out with new products and expanding the line so you need to check with the website if you need or want something else. But the price is a little high, and they do not have online ordering to change and update what you receive. You have to call them but the customer service people were very knowledgeable, professional and accommodating. They say you can cancel at any time.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I heard about this brand from my cousin a while back. She said it’s the best sub she’s had and enjoys and looks forward to it so I gave it a try and I couldn’t be happier with it. It’s truly unique and high quality. The Allure Beauty Box is very well designed and thought out. It’s nice to be surprised with unique products within each customized professional looking box that is delivered to me. They did a great job making it look fancy and picking just the right needed products that make me happy. I have no complaints about it and recommend it. It’s definitely worthwhile to have and enjoy.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I saw it advertised online and thought it would be a great way to try new beauty products without spending a lot of money on them first. I also was attracted to the ad showing some high-end cosmetics, like NARS. I liked the fact the box would contain some beauty products I'd never heard of, especially skin care products. I also liked the beauty tools that were included. However, I received a lot of products that I wouldn't use or colors outside of my palette. I would prefer it to be more customized, and I wish it had an option to be sent every other month as opposed to every month.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The Allure Beauty Box was something I heard friends and coworkers talking about. I looked online and they had products closest to what my needs were. I like certain colors and styles and the personalization part of making toward what I wear and need versus randomly sending me things I may not use. I like certain types of makeup like eyeliner and cover up. The only thing I would add is more deals and discounts to people who buy, to have more selection and colors of brand items they include in the box, and to have different subscription boxes to choose from. Otherwise I enjoy the product they have now. Great products, A+.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I saw Allure online and it offered $5 off. It came with full-size products. The quality of the products was great. I am disabled so to have this delivered to my door each month is wonderful. I can have fun each month playing with my kit. It is only $15 a month and so exciting to receive. You never know what you will receive and I look forward to it each month. The Skinfix clay cleaner is wonderful and makes my face feel so soft. I also like the eyeshadow color and ease of use. But I wish all products were full size. I would also like it designed more for me and what I would want each month. So far, all the products have been very good. The eye shadow and lipstick colors are not always my color though. I wish there was more black eye circle concealers too. Overall it is good. I love it!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I had a coupon from a friend so I was able to order the box for half price. I enjoyed trying the new products. There were makeup items and fingernail items. It had also more items than I expected. I really only expected 3 or 4 items in the box so I was happy to see so many different items. They were full sized items not just sample sized. This surprised me also. I like that you can cancel for just a month or two if you need to and you don't have to stop your subscription. But I disliked that I had no choice in the type of product or in the final selection. Some items were products that I have never used and will never use.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I chose Allure Beauty Box because of how long it lasts. When water hits my face, my makeup doesn't come off. It's really good. When I eat, it doesn't smear on the food. It met all my expectations. However, bright colors aren't appealing to me and I disliked on how some colors were very bright. I prefer low, aesthetic colors that match my outfit. Bright colors stand out too much. Other than that, I like the quality and how unique it is. From all the others, I like the aesthetic colors. It blends in when I'm taking a photo. It's great for going out on parties as well. You should purchase and try it.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Love Allure magazine with new items for me to try. I'm busy working, so it's nice to have someone else shop for me... The chance to get new items without leaving my home. Easy to order and there's new items I may not even know about. Like the products and prices, as well as the colors, cost, variety. Every woman likes to get free items, or a lot more for our money. I would always like to get a surprise in my order as a big thank you.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I chose this plan for a online discount promotion and I appreciated the savings I would receive on my make up and other skincare products. I receive products like eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, lipgloss and other skin care products. I liked the variety of color palettes to choose from and it did meet my expectations somewhat. It was a lot like the other boxes that are out there. But there were still some flaws. Like ending up with too much make up that I didn't use because it just was not my color or I didn't like the way the make up felt or wear.

They should put a system in place that allows a certain number of things you can pick off of the website to specifically go in your box and a certain number of randoms. That way if you get a box you know there's something in there you're going to like and you don't end up with things you won't use. But I enjoyed the fact that I knew when my box would be coming every month as well as some randomness of the products.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I just saw a post on Facebook about the box. It included a free full size eyeshadow palette with the first box, so I tried it - it was also only 10.00 which was a good price. When I received the box, I got 2 perfume samples, a shampoo and conditioner sample, lip plumper and color, and a nail color. I also received an eyebrow shaper and a big blush brush. I liked everything. The quality of the products, the time it took to get the box, the cool little card telling me all about what was in the box. I also liked being able to share what was in my box on Facebook and Twitter easily. I don't like the price the following month, but I really feel it was worth it.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I have used and been gifted other services including Birchbox and FabFitFun! They all have positives and negatives. I enjoyed the excitement when the package arrived. I liked receiving full sized products, high end products and things I normally wouldn't buy or know about. I would prefer everything to be full sized though. I would also like to pick things coming to me and to have the option to skip a month if the box didn't appeal to me.

Original review: July 26, 2017

This subscription service was recommended to me by a friend, and I decided to try. It was ok, it arrived on time and had a variety of things in it. It had makeup and skincare items and most of the items were very relevant to my daily routine. For example, basics in makeup (eyeliner, lipstick, etc.). It also has skin cleansers, which I liked. I hate samples and I like full sized objects. For the price, I feel like more should come with the subscription. I also would like for it to be more customizable, so that its maximum relevancy is met.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I enjoy getting samples of face creams as well as hair and makeup products to try first. I am always excited to see what is new to play with, to try new things and learn about other products for hair, makeup, and scents. I like the box containing the product and the variety of products inside. The packaging is cute and is like getting a surprise in the mail. I have also subscribed to Birchbox and I enjoy them both equally. They both supply many products and ones I never heard of as well as ones I have and was eager to try and experiment with.

You can explore new products and purchase them if you like from a sheet of paper with the prices. Too many hair products though. I would like more foundation and makeup samples. Sometimes there are many mascara samples that come rather than lipsticks or lipglosses. But I have learned a lot about different products from the beauty box and expanded my makeup horizon. I currently purchase many products I've tried.

Original review: July 22, 2017

It was a amazing "I love you" gift from my husband to make me feel special for Mother's Day as a woman to feel loved and pampered easily with cool stuff in it. Great sizes of products and selection of colors. Everything in the gift box included something that I did not realize how much I would love and work them on to my daily routine. This is the best way ever to try new products.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I chose this particular box because it's an affordable option for people with my income and came highly recommended from friends and family and also had very high reviews online of the affordability and ease of customer services for when I have complaints about a product I don't like. The customer service is amazing and I also enjoy the fact that if you don't like something you can call customer service and they will work with you to replace the product. Nothing has ever came shattered like with most companies because they have excellent packaging. It is pretty good quality make up for the price I'm paying compared to others. However I don't always get the colors or brands I want. I wish the shipping time was faster and maybe a little more product or larger size of the products. Would like a more diverse selection. Get way too dark of colors for my complexion and wish there was more hair care products.

Original review: July 20, 2017

A few of my friends have had good experiences and my wife had heard good things originally about Allure Beauty Box. She had been wanting to try it out for some time before I started the subscription. I noticed that the traffic on their web site seemed to be better than the others according to search results in Google. Their website was also easier to navigate.

My wife loves the quality of the products compared to ones at the major department stores, which are pretty expensive. It would be nice if the box came in different colors, or if I could order small organizing bags with each order that can also fit together as a whole organizational product/carrying system. I would have more elements for gifting/surprise experiences. But I like the colors available and that I can automatically send nice things to my wife each month, and there is always something she loves inside.

Allure Beauty Box expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Allure magazine focuses on beauty and fashion advice and news. The company also gives Best of Beauty Awards to cosmetic products. Their beauty boxes ship the contiguous United States and include at least six sample products.

• Editor curated: Items included in Allure’s beauty box are selected by the magazine’s editors.

• Mini magazine: Each Allure Beauty Box comes with a mini magazine that includes information about the products in the box as well as how-to guides and beauty tricks.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers refer friends who sign up, and enter the existing customer’s e-mail address, the existing customer will receive a free box. Customers can qualify for one free box each month.

• Gift: Consumers can purchase gift subscriptions for loved ones. Gift subscriptions are available for three, six, or twelve months.

• Savings: Consumers receive a discount on their first Allure Beauty Box, and those who choose to subscribe for a full year receive one box free. Customers can cancel subscriptions at any time.

• Best for: Allure’s beauty boxes are designed for women and are best for makeup lovers and gift givers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs