2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

Alibris Books Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I ordered 2 books the end of October, 2019 from a bookseller on Alibris called "Extremely Reliable" in Richardson, Texas. The first arrived.... in Greek! I checked my order paperwork--nothing on there about a Greek book. I was very careful and quite sure I hadn't somehow ordered a book in a language I don't speak! I immediately filled out a return form on Alibris, where I discovered that I have to pay the return shipping to the seller. (Their "lame" reason was that the credit card companies won't let them pay for return shipping. Which is facile--my first red flag). In return, I get a coupon for $3.00 off my next Alibris purchase, and the coupon expires in a month. By now, I knew I would not EVER be doing business with Alibris again, so that money was gone.

I spent the next 2 weeks trying to get a response from the bookseller either via email or phone, but could not. Meanwhile, the next book arrives, and it's ALSO in Greek! I tried again to contact Alibris, but their email messages always explain they're very busy and it will take awhile to get an answer. Still no refund on the first book, so I tried to call Alibris. No, their phone numbers are all recordings which say they don't answer the phone--email them from their website. So, basically, there's no recourse. I will be contacting my credit card company to reverse the charge as Alibris and its bookseller "Extremely Reliable" are dishonest! I have yet to see my money from the original purchase, which totals over $44.00!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Like 10 minutes after buying a book I realized it was the wrong book. I asked to cancel the transaction and they did not accept it. Lesson learned: always check reviews and sellers EVERYWHERE you are planning to buy, so you don't end up buying from a non-accredited and BAD companies like this one. They are NOT customer-oriented.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I mailed 9 books to a friend of mine from FL to NM. The box weighed about 10 lbs. USPS has a thing called "media mail." You can mail books, etc. for quite cheap. It cost me $5 bucks to mail the books. My mother ordered from Alibris today. She got 7 books that totaled $11. Shipping was $26! This is where these people make their money. Unbelievable. As a result of hearing this, I won't refer or personally be ordering anything from this company. Instead of paying about $2 bucks a book, she ended up paying $6 bucks a book due to their inflated shipping charges. Disgraceful. There are other companies out there that don't deceive like this.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I purchased a book for school that cost over $200 and was told it would arrive in 4-14 days. The publication never came after I was charged $200+ on my card. After trying to contact them, I sent an email that said ”they don't take customer service calls.” They won't talk to you on the phone and only email. They still haven't responded to my request for a refund and now I'm forced to go through civil litigation to hold them accountable. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!! THEY ARE UNPROFESSIONAL AND WILL RIP YOU OFF!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I would advise you not to do business with Alibris. I have not received my book 2 weeks after the latest estimated delivery date. I contacted the seller and got the brush off. I contacted Alibris and got a form response, and after multiple attempts to get in touch with them, they still have not responded. Of course there is no way to get in touch with them beyond email. Again, I would advise you DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Alibris.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Book never received. No phone number or tracking number to inquire whereabouts of book. They use secondary stores that you cannot call. Email inquiry only. Do not use this site. Book guaranteed ... never came.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I received an international edition of the book that I ordered. The posting that I ordered from had the US ISBN listed but when I opened up the book it was the South Asain edition. I believe that the poster knowingly sent the incorrect edition. I think it is wrong that I must pay for return shipping when I received the incorrect item. Alibris says they give $3 coupon codes to offset the cost of return shipping because their credit card policy restricts them from refunding more than the cost of your order. This is not helpful because I will certainly not be ordering a book from them again. Other websites and companies obviously get around this by paying for the label and emailing you. Their idea of a return label is a picture of an envelope with their address and a "place postage here" region. This return label is little to no help.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

When you offer a salmon and switch it for a catfish before selling it to someone it is called bait and switch. Picturing a textbook of the latest edition and sending an earlier version seems to me to be the same thing. Apparently the "information" was on a link that needed to be clicked to see that it was the 5th edition and not the SEVENTH EDITION as was pictured. They have no live communications only email. When I contacted them their response felt complicit and condescending. I am awaiting additional response to my concerns but in the meantime I had to order my textbook from a different company and now it will not arrive in time for the beginning of my college class. BEWARE: The pictures are not representative of what they are selling you. It may be "legal" but it certainly isn't ethical! Shameful business practice.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

They are thieves. Literally stole my money. They never sent the (expensive) book and PayPal would not give me my money back. $90.00 down the drain. I am shocked this can happen and PayPal did not even back me up. Do not order anything from Alibris Books.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

As a seller, soon to be former seller, with Alibris.com, it has been a true disappointment. Their software for handling sales is not user friendly and somewhat over complicated. Due to their fees, charges, and shipping costs, it is very difficult to set competitive prices for books and therefore, proving to be a disadvantage to both buyer and seller. Due to their software, this turned out to be a waste of all the fees and charges paid to them and most important to me, my time and energy in setting up account, entering inventory, having to set prices to cover all their fees and charges, and then not getting paid for them, especially when they cancel a shipped order. I had problems with the first two orders, so I am not planning to encounter another.

Alibris Books Company Information