1.58/5
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings

105 Alibris Books Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I am very disappointed in my experience attempting to order a book from this seller through B&N. It's late, it was expensive to ship, and the entire process has been a PITA. I don't have sympathy for pleas to be understanding about high volumes of service requests. That seems to clearly indicate that service is poor and emphasizes that it will continue to be so. Their website was clunky and the order process is completely opaque. I'm not happy with Barnes and Noble, either, and probably won't order through them again, but I'm definitely going to avoid this company. It sounds like they have a history of callous finger-flipping ripoffs based on a casual scan of other reviews.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I mistakenly placed an order and saw that it was sent to my old address in another state. I contacted them within 1 minute of placing the order. I got a response from them 36 hours later telling me that there was nothing that could be done - tough luck! I corrected the mistake immediately online. I wrote them and called them. I just lost $66 because this company does not offer support. I won't deal with them again. Online mistakes with companies like Amazon can be quickly corrected. There was no reason why this couldn't be corrected 60 seconds after I placed an order. You failed miserably, Alibris! I'm very disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased a book more than a month ago and had even forgotten I ordered it. I logged into my pay site and verified the funds had been removed. I contacted the seller and my pay site. The vendor replied, stating the book had been delivered but had no tracking and asked if I wanted a refund or replacement. I stated I wanted the book and asked that they send it. This was 5 days ago. Today I receive a refund from my pay site due to the book being out of stock. Today I checked their site and my book is up on it for 10 dollars more than I originally bought it for. Never again!! Very dishonest!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Wrong item was received and now the seller is taking 3-4 days to respond to my emails for a return and refund. First they asked for the ISBN, then pictures, now they finally got around to saying, "Okay send it to this address and we will refund you accordingly." Well, apparently a refund doesn't include the shipping I have to pay to send it back, and I have to pay for tracking. Terrible practice. Item arrived damaged and it was the wrong item to begin with. Now I have to foot the bill for their mistake. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Worst experience I have ever had buying books anywhere!!! I bought 3 books, one said it shipped them. It was cancelled a week and a half later about 3 days before class started. I reached out to Alibris customer service and their response was pretty much "oh well, order another one if you need it". Another one of the books was a contraband version and literally said it is "illegal to distribute in the United States". What kind of business is Alibris running?! A sketchy one from what I've seen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I ordered a book almost a month ago. A few days after I placed the order I received an automated email saying the book had been shipped (around Aug 20th). When I checked the status of my order on their site it said it would be delivered on Sept 4th. It’s now Sept 13th and still no book. I have emailed them several times requesting a refund. First they told me it was on the way but were not able to provide me with a tracking number. (If it’s on the way, why don’t they have a tracking number?!) Then about a week later they said it hadn’t been sent, and for me to be patient. This company is so shady. I have emails to prove that all of the information I have provided is true and correct. I will be reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Hey guys! so I wanted to share my review and great experience with Alibris. I ordered a textbook that I needed for my sociology class on September 4, 2018. At the time, it was cheaper on Alibris than Amazon and Chegg was sold out of the book. So I decided to try this website, I have never used it before but saw it on a top 12 book rental/buy sites. Long story short, my book came September 10, 2018, right on time for class. I understand this site gets a lot of bad reviews, so I just wanted to share my good experience with them. I'm extremely happy my book came right on time for class and that I was able to get it for a cheaper price. :)

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Ordered a book before starting trig class. First email stated 4 to 6 business days. When the book didn't show, first customer service email response stated 14 business days. After that time had passed (they couldn't look at a calendar correctly), they stated again 14 business days. I emailed again demanding a refund for the now month late and still not arrived book. No response. Filed fraudulent charge with bank, waiting on my bank to reverse the charge. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS SITE. They will steal your money.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When a company consistently gets poor marks, believe the reviews. Despite the myriad of unsatisfactory reviews posted online (this site and others), I went ahead and took a chance on Alibris, thinking they may have improved in response to the issues described. However, my recent experience only served to reinforce the same comments shared by previous customers.

The customer support from Alibris is practically non-existent, from the automated phone system which neither allows you to leave a message (although claiming it will) to the lack of any follow-up by Alibris, to the system for communicating online, which also does not result in anyone effectively responding (only same automated text, asking one to not recontact, but rather wait until someone replied - which doesn't occur, even after five days). While price/selection are among factors to consider, even more important is customer service - particularly, when there is a problem, which based on the reviews, seems often. Unfortunately, I am among the many people who tried Alibris, but will not be returning. :-(

Original review: July 6, 2018

Customer support is virtually nonexistent. I don't know what the people who own Alibris do with their time, but it certainly isn't making sure things run smoothly. The first order I placed was charged, then canceled. The book was to be a gift, but that ruined it. Months later I tried again, I got a pop-up saying I would get a $5 coupon if I subscribed to their coupons, so I did, only to find out afterward that the $25 order I intended to place was not large enough for their coupon to kick in. But it didn't say that when it asked me to subscribe, and I went back and double checked. There is absolutely no phone support; just long messages saying so. And when you do get support, it comes through a short email from India. Apparently, this is a company that makes its money off of one time, first-time naive customers who don't know any better. How they have managed to stay in business is one of those imponderable mysteries, but as for their service, I'm done.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I went to check out on the site and my DVD order was to incur $35.00 in shipping charges. I expected perhaps half of that (most were cheap and older releases,) but $35.00? Now I'm glad I canceled after reading all the negative experiences here - save the time and trouble and shop elsewhere.

Original review: June 24, 2018

It took almost a month for three original Nancy Drew books to arrive. They were written way before the computer and cell phones. Instead I got one book with three stories...where the girls had laptops and smartphones. The writing was plain stupid. Nothing to do with what I ordered! What con artists. I actually changed my credit card because after I looked at other reviews I saw this organisation is a scam! BEWARE!

Original review: June 23, 2018

"Purchased" a book through Alibris. They charged my Visa account. A few days later I received an email from Biblio saying the book was unavailable. I expected that a credit would appear on my Visa but this did not happen. I waited several weeks and then contacted Biblio. They said that I need to speak to Alibris since they were the ones who charged my account. Contacted Alibris and they were very difficult to deal with. They recommended I contact Biblio. The amount of money involved is small and not worth pursuing further. I will NEVER buy another book from Alibris and suggest no one else does!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

We have received a charge on our Visa account - have never purchased anything. Tried calling them - you cannot speak with a person. Tried to find an online chat - none. Emailed them telling them our problem. Have not heard anything back from them. Ended up having to close our Visa account - very, very inconvenient as we have other things automatically paid through this account. Have never used this company and certainly never will.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The website glitches and keeps resetting the default mailing address. My attempts to resolve this with the company was totally unsatisfactory. They have simply stopped responding. Great selection of books but very poor customer service and a totally problematic website.

Original review: April 1, 2018

People will always have good or bad things to say about every company, however I personally ordered two books from Alibris (Bibles to be exact) and I got the exact books I ordered at the exact time frame that they gave me!!! And yes they have some of the best prices... Thanks guys.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

The edition of the book I ordered was not the edition they had pictured. They pictured the newest (green-blue colored) edition.... but they sent the Oldest (beige colored) edition... which I already owned. They also would not check to find out why the book had not been mailed after about a week and a half. I complained Several times by e-mail (phone communication was not even available). All I got were excuses... and avoidance of some of my simple questions. I can honestly say that Alibris Books has some of the Worst “customer service” (if you can even call it that) that I have Ever experienced. They refused to cancel my order even though it had not yet been mailed and they would not even address the issue of the Edition of the book.

I finally gave up and own 2 copies of the same edition. There is NO excuse for any company to have such a ‘don’t care’ attitude and such a horrible excuse of ‘customer service’!!! If they were the last source of books on Earth I would just never own another book. They do not deserve to still be in business (the only reason they are is that so many other people just get so frustrated they give up like I did). Absolutely Horrible Experience!!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I had to order an older edition book for my finance class. This was the only site I could find it. I ordered the book and they stated they shipped it on Jan 5th. I gave them until Jan 30th and I wrote them back requesting they cancel the order and refund my credit card. They responded with the "the shipping is slower than expected and if it does not arrive soon we will reship." At this point I no longer needed the book. I gave them another week for the book to arrive so I could just return it and it still has not come in and no one will contact me back. I have basically thrown away $100 because this is a crap company. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I ordered a Book On Spanish Crown History. I got a Scholastic Book Grades 2-4 Attack Of The Clone. No refund offered. Too told too bad. These people are savages and should be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I ordered a textbook, took 3 weeks to show up when the seller was in the same state as me! I get said book and they sent me the Indian version so I couldn't even read it! Then it takes them an entire week just to respond to my complaint just to find out they won't even pay for your shipping when you return the book! So, a $22 dollar lesson I learned, given to you for free, NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Ordered a college textbook 12/25/17 with enough time for mailing to be received in time to start course on 01/08/2018. The book was shipped on 12/26/17 and was shipped using USPS Standard which per USPS site takes approximately 28 Business Days. According to the seller, I should have received the book sometime between Dec 28, 2017 - Jan 4, 2018. The Book to date (1/11/18) has never been received.

I have reached out to Alibris and their contractor BookLab who have been nonchalant about the fact that this book appears to have been lost and has offered NO real solution other than I should wait longer. I cannot complete the coursework without the book. I have now had to order the book from another seller who at least ships w/ a tracking number so I can complete my coursework - Worst customer service and ordering experience I have ever had.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I ordered a book a month prior to the holidays, it never arrived and there was no tracking on the package. I have received one response via email asking for the delivery info, which was already in the email they sent. Since then no response to my inquiries, no response to my request for a replacement copy. No response to refund. Would never order from them again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have purchased several books from Alibris in which the book condition was misrepresented. I've made several attempts to contact Alibris/seller with no response. I attempted to return an item and hit the back button and lost the return packing slip - cannot get a copy. Alibris claims no credit if no return packing slip. Alibris does not offer return shipping refund - offered a coupon, but had to be used same day as the return request. Of course, lost the coupon with return slip when hit back button.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They advertise that standard shipping takes 3 to 4 business days, but the real shipping time is 14 days. Also, there is no one to talk to customers when there's a problem. HORRIBLE SERVICE!! They deserve a 0, not a 1!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I've ordered a book at Alibris for about 20 euro below the market price. And got an email on the 18th that the book was shipped. On the 27th I did not have the book yet so I send them a mail and checked some review sites like this one. I actually got a scare about all the negative reviews. Coincidently I received my book 2 hours after. I did send the email before receiving the package and they replied to my email the next day. I did not have the experience with no answer at all. If you want a book for cheap you just have to be patient. If you don't have that buy it for more in a shop with quick delivery. The book was well packed. It arrived in a perfect state. If I wouldn't have read the bad reviews I might have been more patient and might not have sent an email at all. I think they can improve with a track and trace though. But that might raise the delivery costs.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I only gave one star because zero was not an option!!! I ordered a book through Alibris, secondary seller Emerald Coast Books. I ordered August 13, got shipment confirmation August 13. No book. EVER. I have tried to contact Alibris, no human available, send email, computer sends you a thank you, says, "wait we will call you..." They won't. E.C.B. Same, it's been over 40 days, no book, no response to inquiries, nothing, just computer generated "don't call us we will call you" emails within seconds of sending any communication. This company is a fraud.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I ordered three books from Alibris in the last month and I had various issue with all three orders: The first one arrived after ~2 weeks while I received an incorrect book. I contacted them and they managed to send another book to my address and I received it after around one week. The second book did not arrive after 3 weeks and I contacted them again and asked for cancellation. The cancellation was done and a refund was issued. The third book did not arrive by USPS in a first attempt and they did not deliver it after 5 days of a redelivery request. I contacted Alibris regarding their poor shipping method that cannot ship in time or cannot deliver properly and asked for cancellation and a refund. Instead, they provided the USPS phone number to the customer.

Based on my three current orders, I do not recommend using Alibris based on its current customer service and shipping method. The customer service only responds to e-mails at mid-nights, expecting that the customer service agents are somewhere in Asia and cannot handle the customer requests properly in a timely manner. USPS did not deliver the package in the first attempt and did not do a redelivery in a timely manner after several days. This is an issue of Alibris but not the customer to contact USPS. Alibris needs to use proper shipping methods like UPS, FedEx, etc. that can deliver mails instead of attempting to deliver mails. I am sorry Alibris but I cannot proceed to order more books from you and I cannot commit myself to wait for more than three weeks to receive incorrect books or delivery attempts. There is no zero star option and therefore, a single star is provided.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Zero STAR service. Unfortunately, there is no zero STAR to choose. Don't believe on delivery date provided by Alibris. They send an email called Shipment Status but none of the links provided working. You cannot check status of your order since their link is not working. Disrespectful customer service. My order didn't arrive at date indicated by Alibris and I had to buy the book from other vendor. Never buy book from Alibris.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I've read the reviews and I just don't get it. Ordered several books over the years and I have never been disappointed. Some books arrive sooner and others later, all books have always been in the condition described by seller. There is no other site that gives you a better price. Relax and read a book while you're waiting for the next one to arrive!!!

Original review: June 10, 2017

I bought a rare book for over $300 and had to return it. Sent it back May 5, the vendor processed it May 10 (good for USPS and over a weekend) and on May 30 the vendor told me that Alibris said they processed it May 19th! Taking 9 days to issue a refund after the vendor "OK'd" it, unacceptable for me. BUT I did NOT get my money yet. I wrote to them on May 30 since my PayPal account still did not show the refund! If I did not follow up with them, they would have kept my $300+!!!

Two emails to Alibris in 6 days and today, FINALLY, a "Pending" refund is shown on my PayPal account. It looks like they will not credit my charge account I used through PayPal either. Alibris has NO call-in number, you MUST use email and their Customer Service response time and ability is TERRIBLE. They have the worst Customer Service I have ever experienced anywhere and I really think they do not care that it is bad!!! I will never use Alibris again. Now I know to work directly with the vendor. They were outstanding in helping me.

Alibris Books expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Alibris is an online marketplace website headquartered in California that facilitates purchases between independent sellers and website users. Among other products, Alibris features textbook sales and rentals.

• Large inventory: Alibris Books partners with many independent retailers and also has its own large warehouse, so it offers over 25,000 textbooks for rent. These include hard and soft cover books and audiobooks in nearly every subject.

• Worry-free guarantees: You have 21 days after you place an order to return your rental for a full refund. Books are guaranteed to be free from excessive damage, and you may return them if they are damaged or otherwise unsuitable. You can also return them if you drop a course or don’t need the book after all.

• Grace period: Unlike many other rental companies, Alibris does not begin charging late fees immediately if your book is not returned by the due date. You have a full 20 days after the end of your rental period to return the book before being charged the retail price of the book.

• Quick shipping: Most books are in the warehouse and ship within two days of your rental order, so you receive your books quickly in time for the start of the term.

• Normal wear and tear is accepted: Some rental companies charge damage fees for normal wear and tear. Alibris recognizes that normal wear and tear is to be expected and doesn’t charge a fee unless the book is actually damaged (such as missing pages, a torn cover or a broken spine). You can even highlight and write sparingly in the margins of your Alibris rentals.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget and those who want to highlight their books.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs