2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Alibris Books Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I ordered a book September 24th. Tracking from post office with Stamps.com estimated delivery October 1st. The book was in Jacksonville, FL on September 29th and for some reason got shipped to Atlanta, GA and tracking of the package ended. I contacted Alibris and said the book is obviously lost. Their reply is, "Wait 20 days from shipping to see if it arrives." I need the book for a class. It is obviously lost, I emailed them again and said, "Cancel it because I ordered from someone else." Do they really expect you to wait 20 days and then need to reorder and wait again? I see from reviews that my experience is not unique. Do not do business with Alibris as there are many other really good companies out there that deliver as promised.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I ordered a required text for one of my classes on August 16, 2020. It is now August 30, 2020 and I STILL have NOT received this book. My classes started on August 20, 2020, so Alibris' incompetence has placed me in a very stressful and frustrating situation. They REFUSE to refund my monies and can't even tell me where the book is, at this time. As a matter of fact, I have sent several emails to them and they have only responded twice. They don't care about anything but pocketing a student's hard-to-come-by funds for school books!!! Stay away from this horrible company!!!

Get buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Do not order anything from Alibris!!! In April 2020 I ordered a textbook from Alibris, Inc. for $74.60. I paid for the book and received the textbook a week later. Fast forward to August 2020 when I received a bill from Pearson (the publisher) saying I owed them $91.58. After a few calls and emails, I find out that Alibris uses book sellers. Alibris claimed that the book seller never paid Pearson for the book after they took my money. However, my bank account states Alibris took the payment. Alibris made excuses blaming the seller but assured me they would take care of the problem with Pearson, and I wouldn't have to pay twice for the book.

Two weeks later I find out Pearson is sending me to collections because Alibris did not resolved this issue. Alibris apparently is dealing with scammer book sellers, and they do not do what is right by their customers. Hey Alibris, you say that the scammer took my money but my bank account says YOU took the money. Who is the real scammer here?

Original review: July 24, 2020

I placed several orders on July 7 and 8. The books were coming from a number of different sellers but they were ALL listed as shipped the same day with arrival dates around July 12. None of them were actually shipped on those days. Some of the tracking numbers didn't work, most of them had the carrier awaiting the package for a week. I ordered a bunch of books from a seller in Ohio but the books seem to have shipped from Utah. There are items that were shipping from WITHIN MY STATE that took nearly 2 weeks to arrive. Today is 7/24 and I am still waiting for an order. Additionally, for some reason none of the sellers use Media Mail so the shipping rates are outrageous - often double the cost of the book you're ordering.

Original review: July 23, 2020

While ordering three books I kept getting a notice that if I spent $39 on a select group of books I would get free shipping. As I met the parameters and went to check out I saw that I was being charged shipping. I emailed Alibris and they said that was just an estimate and at the final step of checkout there would be no shipping charge if I met the criteria. Since it would be free shipping I ordered a number of other books. I placed the order and was charged $30 shipping plus the $77 for the books. I immediately contacted Alibris and they said they could not stop the order and that I would have to contact each bookseller myself. Some orders were cancelled others were not. I'm still not sure what I'm getting or was charged. Going to have to spend more of my time figuring that out. What a joy.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Every book purchase I've tried to make thru this company has resulted in no merchandise (books) received; only, occasional excuses. They farm out their orders to other, alleged sellers and nothing shows up on my end. Try searching for one such seller: Extremely Reliable, they call themselves. Check their reviews: all negative; no merchandise received, etc. Avoid these two companies at all costs!

Original review: May 7, 2020

It is my understanding that selling advanced readers is illegal (or is at the very least unethical), as they are distributed for free by publishers in order to generate publicity for upcoming titles. When I contacted customer service about receiving an ARC (in place of an item listed with a hardcover ISBN), not only did they not offer to help me resolve my issue, they did not acknowledge it at all. Because I'd be responsible for return shipping and have had no luck getting my point across, I'm going to cut my losses and just never use this site again. And, by the way, if you complete your order as a guest, they make you an account anyway (which turns out to be impossible to delete).

Original review: May 6, 2020

Do not buy from Alibris. Unless all go well with your orders you will not find reliable assistance. They will instruct you to contact the sellers yourselves when you face questions of late delivery. Or send you emails without any attempt to address your questions directly, but merely resolve to lazy cut and paste response. What a strange unprofessional business setup!

Original review: April 22, 2020

Updated on 05/21/2020: I finally received the refund for both Bibles. I wasn't even required to return the Bibles to Alibris. Probably because Alibris realized its mistake. Unfortunately Alibris is still employing its bait and switch scheme on eBay. Currently Alibris has a Apply The Word Study Bible listed. The photo indicates that it is a Large Print edition. However the ISBN indicates that it is a standard print edition. That's how Alibris operates.

Original Review: I ordered two GENUINE COWHIDE leather HCSB Bibles from Alibris, but was sent two MINT GREEN IMITATION leather ones. Alibris's offshore customer reps refused to believe me until I forwarded them the original eBay listings. Alibris finally agreed to refund me. However, to date, that has not happened. Avoid buying books from Alibris. There are far too many honest sellers.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Alibris doesn't stand behind sellers. Their seller, IMAGINE, sold me a book that was not as described, third printing instead of first printing, with a fraudulent author signature which I have thoroughly researched. The seller has multiple negative reviews about fraudulent sales. I have contacted both IMAGINE and Alibris and neither have resolved my problem. The seller sent me an email promising to refund the RETURN postage but has since refused to do so and has sent me some nasty emails. Now they have blocked me. Alibris also refused to resolve my problem. I was penalized for their mistake and fraud.

Alibris Books author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Alibris is an online marketplace website headquartered in California that facilitates purchases between independent sellers and website users. Among other products, Alibris features textbook sales and rentals.

• Large inventory: Alibris Books partners with many independent retailers and also has its own large warehouse, so it offers over 25,000 textbooks for rent. These include hard and soft cover books and audiobooks in nearly every subject.

• Worry-free guarantees: You have 21 days after you place an order to return your rental for a full refund. Books are guaranteed to be free from excessive damage, and you may return them if they are damaged or otherwise unsuitable. You can also return them if you drop a course or don’t need the book after all.

• Grace period: Unlike many other rental companies, Alibris does not begin charging late fees immediately if your book is not returned by the due date. You have a full 20 days after the end of your rental period to return the book before being charged the retail price of the book.

• Quick shipping: Most books are in the warehouse and ship within two days of your rental order, so you receive your books quickly in time for the start of the term.

• Normal wear and tear is accepted: Some rental companies charge damage fees for normal wear and tear. Alibris recognizes that normal wear and tear is to be expected and doesn’t charge a fee unless the book is actually damaged (such as missing pages, a torn cover or a broken spine). You can even highlight and write sparingly in the margins of your Alibris rentals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team