Alibris Books

Compare Textbook Rental Companies

Research top Textbook Rental Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

G. D. of Atlanta, GA on

Purchased DVD and was sent VHS. Emails to customer service never gets answered. I should have read reviews and would have avoided this problem. If I pay to return this item, I don't know if I will get my money back since no one will respond to me. I paid with debit which is verified with order number.

Kevin of Rigby, ID on

I was able to find a book that I needed that was out of print. It was normally $95.00, but I only paid $35.00 through a company I found through Alibris. I was very pleased with the quick and quality service I received.

Gina of Hastings, Other on

I ordered a book from Alibris which was described as 'Like New'. It arrived yesterday and has a crumpled dust jacket some of which is torn and held together with tape. I would not describes this as 'Like New'. I tried to contact the supplier direct but my e-mail was returned.

Kamila of Lebork, Other on

I would like to complain on the reliability of service that the company provides. I placed my order at their shopping site on Thu Sept 29 05:11:53 PDT 2016. Today is Nov 11 and I still did not receive my parcel to Poland. It is a pity I did not read any of those complaints before.

James of Little Rock, AR on

Ordered book by a particular author. Received book with correct title but incorrect author from vendor Prairie Wind Books. Sent two emails to Prairie Wind stating issue with no response. Sent email to Alibris and got boilerplate reply "Heavy load etc". Never heard back from Alibris other than brush off automatic email. Finally went to PAYPAL and in a couple of days they said the issue had been resolved and that Prairie Wind Books had issued refund. We'll see. Forget both Prairie and Books and Alibris. Will never buy through Alibris or Prairie Wind Books again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?

James of Yakima, WA on
Consumer Increased Rating!

I just wanted post a "real-time" comment regarding an order that I just placed with Alibris Books. I have been attempting to track the packaged which seems to be stalled in Kentucky (via USPS). I am concerned because I should have received the book on 10/11/2016. I sent an email and got the response that "due to high email volume... blah blah blah" and that in order to "keep costs down," email was the best way to communicate. I need this textbook by next week! Which is why I chose Alibris Books in the first place because they claim I would have it before my deadline and within the shipping time frame. I started getting nervous when I found this website and all the negative comments about this vendor. I am hoping that their practices have improved and that I won't have to go through the same things that a lot of people reported. I will leave a feedback update soon. Fingers crossed.

lee of Dixon, CA on

I don't know how this company exists. Its customer service is below zero. There is no phone number. You send them an email. No responses. No refunds, like you talk to the wall. Then more than a month later they respond and said that it is seller responsibilities. If it is the case, why do we have to use them for? If you don't want to waste your time and money, buy your textbook somewhere else, but not with this company. I love Amazon for its customer service. I want to complaint with the BBB and Consumer Affairs about this company. They never refund my money. Then they sent you a customer satisfaction survey, which is not a survey. It's a fraud.

C A of Killeen, TX on

Beware of doing business with this company. I had a book sent to my mother who lives in an apt. building. The post office listed the package as refused. My mother said that a package was never delivered to her. Obviously, the package was delivered to the wrong apartment because it was given back to the postal worker. The post office then returned the item to the sender. The sender says they haven't received the return (6 weeks after postal return). I explained the situation and asked for a refund several times from both the sender as well as Alibris. All I get is the runaround. I finally just disputed the charge with my credit card company. I will not be doing any business with this company again.

Nhung of Salt Lake City, UT on

I ordered two book through Alibris. My first book was wrong item and I returned it, but Alibris never refund me. I'm tried to contact the seller many times and no respond. I'm so tired of dealing with Alibris. I had to go through my credit card company to get my money back. My second order never came. Alibris said the book is located International so it will take 1 month to get to United States. But I never receive the book. I'm so upset. I will never shop on Alibris again. I tried calling Alibris. They don't have a contact number and I tried email and they don't respond.

Camille of Upland, CA on

I read a couple of the reviews before I wrote this one and they are true. The seller I dealt with lied about sending the book out even with the tracking information. It took them a week to send it out and then they sent it to the wrong address. The book is in PA somewhere and I'm in CA. I ordered it from them because I needed the book immediately and they are located 30 minutes away. I figured I would have the book within a few days. I have tried contacting Alibris twice through email. Like another person said the response was that they are very busy so it may take awhile to get back to you and not to email them another time but to reply to the original email. Sorry I forgot the exact wording but someone else that wrote a review said it correctly.

I'm writing this so that people look for another source to buy their books and they don't have to deal with these problems. The seller said to send the book back to them once I receive it and they will refund me. My problem with that is they sent it to the wrong address who knows when if ever that I will receive this book not to mention I need to purchase this book again and I need it now. Oh and I'm the one to pay for it to be shipped back to them? I'm going to dispute the charge with my credit card company but beware any of you that's thinking of making a purchase with them.

M. of St. John'S, NL on
Consumer Increased Rating!

My order required two textbooks be shipped, from two different sellers in the US, to me in Canada. The order processed. One shipping notification came later, followed by an email from the seller which included tracking information. A separate shipping notification for the second book included no tracking information and wasn't followed up by anything from the seller.

Alibris communicated a Sep. 10th outside estimated arrival date. This passed, no books. I checked back on the one tracking notice sent and was concerned to see that book had been delivered - to PA, on Sep. 1. I contacted the seller, who responded the next day. They'd sent the book to a consolidation centre and could offer no further information about it. The tracking info includes an estimated Sep. 15 delivery date. I still have neither the book nor further information on where it is.

I didn't receive the other book either. Contacted that seller, they responded after 2 days, advising that they couldn't find tracking information, hadn't shipped the book and couldn't because they didn't have it in stock. The seller copied Alibris on the email, instructing them to refund me. That was 5 days ago, no refund yet. I've now had to order that book elsewhere and am still waiting for it.

I've emailed Alibris directly, a week ago, then followed up after I received the second seller's email. No response, only an auto-reply indicating a high volume of incoming emails. Noting others' reports of a lack of responsive phone number, today I resorted to messaging Alibris' Facebook page. Another auto-reply, about being backed up with the back to school rush. A 20-year-old online book business, unable to cope with back to school?

Mari of Katonah, NY on

Just like the previous reviewer, I emailed Alibris after I received a book that was so beat up it was unreadable. I emailed them, got the same auto response and haven't heard from them yet. But they do keep sending me daily emails with discounts. Don't know what's up, they used to be really good, but they might as well be based in India now since their customer service is worse than Verizon.

Jana of London, Other on

I am VERY disappointed with Alibris services. I ordered 2 books. They were shipped on 7th and 8th July, 2016. Today it is 20th August and I have not receive any of them yet. I contacted customer service via email and the answer they sent me: "We're currently experiencing a high volume of incoming emails, so if you don't hear from us right away, please don't send a second message. Also, in order to keep our prices low, we're only available by email, not by phone." There is no one to talk to and I have no idea where my books are. When I checked my order status it says "shipped + date" but no other information about shipping is available. PLEASE READ REVIEWS BEFORE YOU ORDER A BOOK FROM ALIBRIS. I never had this experience with eBay or Amazon! Even books are more expensive there I believe it is worth paying for services and reliability!

Laura of Hannibal, MO on

I had ordered from this company over 20 years ago, when they first opened with no problems. As matter of fact I ordered from them frequently. Well, I was looking to order some books and to save money. Wanted to order them used, but in very good condition. I remembered this company from years ago and decided to place my order through them as they had all the books I was looking for under $30. I wish I would have done research on current company reviews because I certainly would have thought twice about ordering from them if I had. I placed my first order for the first five books on August 7 and then decided to go ahead order the last two that I wanted on the morning of August 8, so I would have the complete set of seven books.

They stated that all books shipped the afternoon of August 8. I was pleased with the prompt shipping. Well, I got to browsing the internet and came across less than favorable reviews for this company. It has now been several days past when they were said to arrive and I am beginning to worry that I will have problems getting the books or a refund. It looks like I will probably have to contact my state Attorney General for assistance, but I am giving them a few more days. Save yourself some trouble and do not order from this company.

Rhonda of Austin, TX on

Terrible company! No "Live" customer service at all. The book was Labeled incorrectly and I followed the process to return immediately. Multiply email attempts to seller and website. Seller has NOT made any contact. Website did response (several days later) stating I must work directly with the Seller and Alibris offered a $3.00 discount on my next purchase. The discount is a Joke! I spent $15+ to return the book and still no refund or contact. I will NEVER use Alibris.com for any future purchases.

A Google of Highlands Ranch, CO on

Alibris has no live agents to talk to on the phone. As a matter of fact, Alibris has no contacts by phone. You have to email them and you will never get a response back. Don't order any books from this company, because they will take your money and you will not receive your merchandise or get a refund. This company is a scam! I should have read the reviews on this company before I made my purchase from these scam artists. Thank goodness my loss was minimal. Not recommended.

Kathleen A of Johnston, RI on

I placed an order for a book from Alibris Books through eBay's Half.com April 5, 2016. I received a refund and a notice from ebay on June 18, 2016. I received a notice of cancellation from Alibris Books on June 29, 2016. When I emailed to complain they stated that they notified me of the cancellation immediately after I ordered the book. Their idea of Immediate is 3 MONTHS??? Things happen, items go out of stock but interesting that the same book, in the same condition is currently listed on Half.com for DOUBLE the price of what I paid. I reported them to ebay. Do not do business with them.

jason of San Diego, CA on

I love shopping for books! Alibris' site was easy to use and it had a huge selection of books to choose from. I found all the books that I was looking for and more. I did have one book that was cancelled, but the rest of my orders arrived on time or earlier. I still enjoy my physical books for me and my child. They don't run on batteries and I can see how much I have read. Also, I find that my daughter concentrates and remembers more when I read to her using a physical book than a digital one.

Christine of San Carlos, CA on

I wish I had read these reviews before I used their website! They have the WORST customer service department. It takes days to hear back. The individual sellers are incompetent and your book takes forever to ship! Worst of all they overcharge on shipping!!! Do not buy from them! Not worth it at all!

Steve of Need This, IN on

I ordered a few different books from here. First order: I ordered 7 copies of the same book. They separated my order into 3 shipments without telling me, and only gave me tracking info for one. When I asked them about it, they sent me two more tracking numbers, and one of them doesn't work. Still waiting for my orders to arrive. Second order: My order got cancelled 5 days after I placed it. I saw that the book was available again on the website and ordered it again. 5 days later, I got notified that my order is cancelled again. No explanation whatsoever. They do a terrible job of communicating with the customers. Not recommended.

Shannon of Aurora, CO on

This company is a scam!!! Beware to all!! They will take your money and you will not receive your product or get refund!! Somebody needs to shut this company down!!

William of Fremont, CA on

The first week of June, I ordered about 5 books from Alibris including the new Ronda Rousey autobiography (My Fight/Your Fight). Not only did I get free shipping (ordered more than $49), but I got my books incredibly fast. Within 3 business days I got my first book and received the rest shortly thereafter. It was like getting a new surprise every day for a week. I definitely had a great customer experience and would definitely recommend buying books from Alibris to my family and friends. Also, their prices were extremely affordable and even cheaper than other book retailers.

Becky of Bay City, TX on

Ordered product... then read reviews on not receiving timely. I ordered on a weekend and it was shipped on that Tuesday. I received 13 days after shipping confirmation. I haven't viewed items yet but appears to be packaged well.

jamie of North Kingstown, RI on

I decided to purchase my textbook from Alibris for class a week before the start of school. The seller had a 5 star rating and promised the book would arrive within 5 business days. Well that weekend I got an email stating my book was shipped (mind you I live 30 miles from shipping point, I would have drove to get it if they let me). 2 weeks later no book, I emailed both Alibris and the seller numerous times with no response. By this time I am 3 weeks behind in my work and unable to afford another book time wise, or monetarily. I eventually find a list k that list off all the comments on the seller... ALL VERY BAD. Yet they rated the seller 5 stars. I eventually got a response from customer service after almost 4 weeks.

I did not want the book at this point, I downloaded it from a torrent site in desperation, they proceeded to tell me my book was delivered a week ago. I know this is a lie because my mother runs the post office and my aunt delivers my mail. Four days of fighting for a refund with no luck, then lo and behold my book comes in... 4 weeks later, the shipping date on the package... THE DAY I ASKED FOR MY MONEY BACK... SCAM ARTISTS FOLKS.

___________ of Evansville, IN on
Consumer Increased Rating!

I finally received the book I ordered from Alibris / Indoo.com. It came quite late but was as described. The tracking number was on the brown paper shipping envelope but they didn't convey this tracking number to me during my time waiting for the book and questioning whether it would arrive at all.

I placed my order very early morning on February 8th. The 2nd book I ordered according to Indoo, shipped February 10th, However, it didn't arrive at the NJ shipping facility until February 12th and didn't depart the shipping facility in NJ until February 15th. It then spent February 15th through February 22 in a facility in Missouri before heading to my home (an entire week)

I was in the dark about the shipping on this (MUCH NEEDED) book and read so many reviews where people had the exact same things happen to them as I was experiencing. Perhaps I jumped to a false conclusion but it took so long to receive the book that I ordered the same book thru Amazon because I didn't trust Alibris and Indoo would ever follow through with the order.

As Alibris says in their emails.. (just wait a little longer, say 21 days .. but it if goes 31 days let us know and we'll assume the shipment was lost in the mail and credit you.) This is a disturbing policy considering the bad reviews I've read on the internet from people not receiving their purchases even after waiting.

___________ of Evansville, IN on

Original Review

Don't get fooled by the streamlined and easy purchase process here. Everything on this site is great when making a purchase, from there on out you'll be unhappy. I recommend you should read MANY reviews of Alibris before having any dealings with them. I've yet to receive my purchase. half of my purchase might arrive today, but the real book I need I wonder if it will ever arrive based on the reviews I've found.

Everything you read on Alibris, you must research and question whether it is a lie or not. Look for reviews on the booksellers themselves. If you buy a book through Alibris, from a bookseller such as "indoo.com" then research that bookseller and see if they've got a good track record. In my case, when I looked my bookseller up, they had the opposite reviews of what Alibris posted. On other review sites, my bookseller received the lowest rating possible on every review. When I questioned Alibris about why they allow that bookseller to sell on Alibris they claimed that bookseller is excellent and they have no problems with them.

Here's a fact: The Alibris purchasing process I went through lied that I would have an option to modify the shipping during checkout. Then I became more suspicious and found this business doesn't have phone support whatsoever. Try calling their help line and you'll get a recording.

C of Merrimac, MA on

I recently returned a purchase to the bookseller, Books NJ. Origin of purchase was thru Alibris. I have sent numerous emails to both parties including tracking number for my purchase, which was received by the seller on 1/28/16. To this date I have had no luck with obtaining a refund for the purchase which totaled almost $150.00. I have used Alibris in the past with success. This is the last time I will ever, ever use them. Stay away from both parties.

Corey of Winchester, NH on

I am a bookseller on Alibris, or I was after this experience I cancelled all of my listings. I sold a book and on Alibris you have two days to confirm that it was shipped. I entered the tracking information and the book was mailed within the two day period. That night I received an email from Alibris stating that they cancelled my sale and refunded the money to the buyer because I didn't ship within the two days. I emailed customer service and ask them to sort out the issue since the book was shipped in a timely manner.

I received an email saying that I didn't ship in the allotted time, but I have a receipt to prove that I did, and it was my responsibility to contact the customer and make her pay for it again. How awkward is that? A complete stranger contacting a customer to ask them to pay for something. That to me is horrific customer service. I should have received an apology and so should the customer for the misunderstanding. Why do I pay Alibris a yearly fee if they can't handle a simple customer service issue. I recommend, if you are a bookseller or buyer to use a site like Abe or Amazon since Alibris is nothing but a big hassle and has no customer service that is helpful if you have an issue.

Christopher of Monroe Township, NJ on

Stay far away from Alibris Books. It is now 20 days since I received a notice that the book shipped and I still don't have it yet. No phone number to call.

Jill of Peoria, IL on

My credit card was instantly charged several times for the same book. There is no phone number to call for a resolve on this situation, just an email address. I will never order from this sham of a website again.

Michelene of Lemont, IL on

I ordered a 3-pack of a book (Jesus Calling) on July 2015. I received ONE of the "three pack of books" and was told the other were on back order. My PayPal account was charged the full amount of $17.45 on July 8, 2015, although the order was incomplete.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1993, Alibris is an online marketplace website headquartered in California that facilitates purchases between independent sellers and website users. Among other products, Alibris features textbook sales and rentals.

• Large inventory: Alibris Books partners with many independent retailers and also has its own large warehouse, so it offers over 25,000 textbooks for rent. These include hard and soft cover books and audiobooks in nearly every subject.
  • Worry-free guarantees: You have 21 days after you place an order to return your rental for a full refund. Books are guaranteed to be free from excessive damage, and you may return them if they are damaged or otherwise unsuitable. You can also return them if you drop a course or don’t need the book after all.
  • Grace period: Unlike many other rental companies, Alibris does not begin charging late fees immediately if your book is not returned by the due date. You have a full 20 days after the end of your rental period to return the book before being charged the retail price of the book.
  • Quick shipping: Most books are in the warehouse and ship within two days of your rental order, so you receive your books quickly in time for the start of the term.
  • Normal wear and tear is accepted: Some rental companies charge damage fees for normal wear and tear. Alibris recognizes that normal wear and tear is to be expected and doesn’t charge a fee unless the book is actually damaged (such as missing pages, a torn cover or a broken spine). You can even highlight and write sparingly in the margins of your Alibris rentals.
  • Best for college and university students on a budget and those who want to highlight their books.

Compare Textbook Rental