2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.45/5

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Alibris Books Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Alibris doesn't stand behind sellers. Their seller, IMAGINE, sold me a book that was not as described, third printing instead of first printing, with a fraudulent author signature which I have thoroughly researched. The seller has multiple negative reviews about fraudulent sales. I have contacted both IMAGINE and Alibris and neither have resolved my problem. The seller sent me an email promising to refund the RETURN postage but has since refused to do so and has sent me some nasty emails. Now they have blocked me. Alibris also refused to resolve my problem. I was penalized for their mistake and fraud.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I think this company uses very cheap carriers. The packages stay in some shipping point, and days passed, but the packages don't move. In addition, resellers advertise books that they don't have. And you know this after months of waiting for the books. It's more reliable to order books from Barnes and Noble and Amazon. I will close my Alibris account.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Horrible 'customer service' & ridiculously expensive 'shipping' costs when sending outside of the US. The snapping point was for me when a seller on the site ignored all communication when I attempted to cancel an order made literally less than 1 minute prior. Thinking I would at least have adequate 'support' from Alibris on this I was totally wrong!! The customer service member copied & pasted their INITIAL response to me & neglected to address near ANY of what I wrote to them (clearly not even reading my message or at best, skim-reading).

You would think that when buying on a large platform like Alibris that there's a high degree of 'safety' for customers (largely in the knowledge that the sellers are reputable & that messages either to the sellers on the site or alibris themselves would not be ignored or superficially skimmed over). Having experienced other platforms (abebooks, amazon, etc). abebooks in particular outclasses alibris in EVERY way - range, price but most importantly, CUSTOMER SERVICE!! abebooks appear to value their customers whereas alibris appears on the other hand, not to at all!! For most, I would certainly suggest shopping elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I would not recommend Alibris as a way to build your classroom library! The books I received were not in the condition described - yellowed and binding falling apart- and the return was denied by the seller Plum Books in Minnesota. Buyer beware! I won’t order from them again!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I ordered 2 books the end of October, 2019 from a bookseller on Alibris called "Extremely Reliable" in Richardson, Texas. The first arrived.... in Greek! I checked my order paperwork--nothing on there about a Greek book. I was very careful and quite sure I hadn't somehow ordered a book in a language I don't speak! I immediately filled out a return form on Alibris, where I discovered that I have to pay the return shipping to the seller. (Their "lame" reason was that the credit card companies won't let them pay for return shipping. Which is facile--my first red flag). In return, I get a coupon for $3.00 off my next Alibris purchase, and the coupon expires in a month. By now, I knew I would not EVER be doing business with Alibris again, so that money was gone.

I spent the next 2 weeks trying to get a response from the bookseller either via email or phone, but could not. Meanwhile, the next book arrives, and it's ALSO in Greek! I tried again to contact Alibris, but their email messages always explain they're very busy and it will take awhile to get an answer. Still no refund on the first book, so I tried to call Alibris. No, their phone numbers are all recordings which say they don't answer the phone--email them from their website. So, basically, there's no recourse. I will be contacting my credit card company to reverse the charge as Alibris and its bookseller "Extremely Reliable" are dishonest! I have yet to see my money from the original purchase, which totals over $44.00!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alibris Books?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Like 10 minutes after buying a book I realized it was the wrong book. I asked to cancel the transaction and they did not accept it. Lesson learned: always check reviews and sellers EVERYWHERE you are planning to buy, so you don't end up buying from a non-accredited and BAD companies like this one. They are NOT customer-oriented.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I mailed 9 books to a friend of mine from FL to NM. The box weighed about 10 lbs. USPS has a thing called "media mail." You can mail books, etc. for quite cheap. It cost me $5 bucks to mail the books. My mother ordered from Alibris today. She got 7 books that totaled $11. Shipping was $26! This is where these people make their money. Unbelievable. As a result of hearing this, I won't refer or personally be ordering anything from this company. Instead of paying about $2 bucks a book, she ended up paying $6 bucks a book due to their inflated shipping charges. Disgraceful. There are other companies out there that don't deceive like this.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I purchased a book for school that cost over $200 and was told it would arrive in 4-14 days. The publication never came after I was charged $200+ on my card. After trying to contact them, I sent an email that said ”they don't take customer service calls.” They won't talk to you on the phone and only email. They still haven't responded to my request for a refund and now I'm forced to go through civil litigation to hold them accountable. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!! THEY ARE UNPROFESSIONAL AND WILL RIP YOU OFF!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I would advise you not to do business with Alibris. I have not received my book 2 weeks after the latest estimated delivery date. I contacted the seller and got the brush off. I contacted Alibris and got a form response, and after multiple attempts to get in touch with them, they still have not responded. Of course there is no way to get in touch with them beyond email. Again, I would advise you DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Alibris.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Book never received. No phone number or tracking number to inquire whereabouts of book. They use secondary stores that you cannot call. Email inquiry only. Do not use this site. Book guaranteed ... never came.

Not sure about Alibris Books?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Alibris Books expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Alibris is an online marketplace website headquartered in California that facilitates purchases between independent sellers and website users. Among other products, Alibris features textbook sales and rentals.

• Large inventory: Alibris Books partners with many independent retailers and also has its own large warehouse, so it offers over 25,000 textbooks for rent. These include hard and soft cover books and audiobooks in nearly every subject.

• Worry-free guarantees: You have 21 days after you place an order to return your rental for a full refund. Books are guaranteed to be free from excessive damage, and you may return them if they are damaged or otherwise unsuitable. You can also return them if you drop a course or don’t need the book after all.

• Grace period: Unlike many other rental companies, Alibris does not begin charging late fees immediately if your book is not returned by the due date. You have a full 20 days after the end of your rental period to return the book before being charged the retail price of the book.

• Quick shipping: Most books are in the warehouse and ship within two days of your rental order, so you receive your books quickly in time for the start of the term.

• Normal wear and tear is accepted: Some rental companies charge damage fees for normal wear and tear. Alibris recognizes that normal wear and tear is to be expected and doesn’t charge a fee unless the book is actually damaged (such as missing pages, a torn cover or a broken spine). You can even highlight and write sparingly in the margins of your Alibris rentals.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget and those who want to highlight their books.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team