WW (Weight Watchers)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Weight Watchers

Formerly known as Weight Watchers, WW sells memberships that include online tracking, in-person meetings and one-on-one personal coaching. The app helps you track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and locate support within the online community. It also offers SmartPoints and FitPoints programs to help dieters stay on track.

Pros

• SmartPoints Budget System
  • Digital WW app tracks progress
  • Personal support

Cons

• In-person aid not always available
  • Most meals must be prepared at home

Bottom Line

WW weight loss plans offer a lot of flexibility to dieters. Workshop + Digital plans offer in-person sessions and support, but all WW plans include a private online community for long-term weight loss success.

Top WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've been using WW for a month now and have had a very good experience. I've already recommended the service to two friends, one of which said he's signing up this week. The only ...

Verified

I’ve joined WW twice in the past, but find this plan the best they’ve ever had…The meeting I go to is amazing… it makes me feel part of a community, and supported. I love this pr...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Weight Watchers diet

WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program for both short-term and long-term dieters. WW Freestyle programs use the SmartPoints Budget system, which allows members to follow the WW diet easily. WW provides more than 4,000 recipes that can be made at home, plus guidelines for how to eat out on the program. The company also lets brand ambassadors earn a commission through an affiliate program when they share WW with others.

How does Weight Watchers work?

The key to success in the WW program is a specially designed SmartPoints system. Every food and drink item is assigned a number based on its calories, saturated fat, protein and sugar content. Members are then given a weekly and monthly “budget,” taking into consideration their activity, health goals and lifestyle. Dieters track their food, exercise and progress to make sure they're on target with their health goals.

With the points system, up to four daily unused SmartPoints can roll over into the next weekly budget. There are also 200+ Zero Points foods, such as eggs, salmon, chicken breast and beans, which don't need tracking while in the program.

WW keeps members motivated through its free rewards program — WellnessWins — where members celebrate creating healthy habits. Rewards include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and take anywhere organizers. All WW memberships include a private online community and 24/7 support from a WW Coach, which is accessible through the digital app.

Weight Watchers programs

WW currently offers three membership options: Digital, Workshops + Digital, or Personal Coaching + Digital. WW Freestyle is the core program followed in all three of WW plans.

• Digital: For those just starting, the Digital plan gives dieters 24/7 support through an app and website. Members get access to WW’s database of more than 4,000 recipes and access to Connect, a private online community. The app also syncs with fitness trackers.
  • Workshop + Digital: For dieters who prefer a more personalized program, WW offers in-person sessions in addition to their digital plans. There are more than 3,000 studio locations nationwide offering about 14,000 workshops a week. With the help of certified coaches, members learn how to manage and maintain weight loss through healthy strategies. Memberships also include weekly check-ins with WW coaches.
  • Personal Coaching + Digital: The WW Personal Coaching + Digital plans provide tailored one-on-one coaching as part of its premium packages. The Personal Coaching + Digital plan doesn't include private check-ins, but it does include personalized action plans that help members meet weight loss goals.

Compare Weight Watchers pricing options

Price per week*$3.07$6.92$12.92
Food and activity tracking
Weekly group Workshops
Personalized action plans
WW pricing varies by location. Costs shown here are based on ZIP code 74119.

How to use the Weight Watchers food scale

The WW food scale comes pre-programmed with a database of more than 500 foods. It also gives you the option of adding in calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat for the scale to calculate, making it easy to weigh foods at home or on the go. The WW SmartPoints kitchen scale can be used to weigh foods and can save up to 10 favorites for future reference.

Foods to eat on Weight Watchers

Generally, WW dieters eat foods that are rich in whole grains and fiber.

• Eggs
  • Fish
  • Beans
  • Avocado

Foods to avoid on Weight Watchers

WW dieters generally avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, fat and calories.

• Burgers
  • Alcohol
  • Soda
  • Butter

Weight Watchers FAQ

What do you get when you join Weight Watchers?

All WW members get access to the digital program, which includes a database of 4,000+ recipes, a private online community and 24/7 support from a coach. All memberships include access to WW’s app, where members can track daily activity and food intake to see your progress. Some members opt to attend in-person sessions or work one-on-one with a WW coach.

How do you lose weight on Weight Watchers?

WW encourages weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise. WW uses the SmartPoints Budget system, where food and drink items are given a number. Based on your weight loss goals, you’re then given a weekly and daily “budget” of points.

What can I eat on Weight Watchers diet?

WW diets are flexible enough that you can almost eat anything you want (in moderation). With the SmartPoints system, you can create foods at home that fit into your weight loss goals or eat out with family and friends.

How much does Weight Watchers cost?

Programs start around $3 per week, and the standard monthly cost for the introductory plan is approximately $19.95 before tax.

How quickly can I lose weight on Weight Watchers?

Most people on the WW program see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. How quickly you lose weight on WW depends on your goals, activity level and lifestyle.

Where can I buy a Weight Watchers calculator?

SmartPoints calculators for the freestyle program can be purchased through WW’s online store.

Does Weight Watchers provide food?

No, WW does not provide food. Members are responsible for all their grocery shopping.

Does Weight Watchers have free registration?

Occasionally WW offers exclusive online specials when members can sign up for $0 and get 2 months free.

Is Weight Watchers worth it?

Yes. WW services are excellent for individuals looking to be part of a healthy community and get accountability on their journey. For a low monthly cost, members get access to WW’s website and app, which includes their WW Freestyle program and guidelines on their SmartPoints diet. Freestyle gives members a flexible approach to healthy eating, allowing for a personalized approach to weight loss.

WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

69 year old, 6'4" 260 pound male who joined online WW program 5 years ago. Two years ago, I set a goal to get to my high school weight (195 lbs). Combined WW w/6 days a week workout program (weightlifting 3 days/Jogging 3 days). Achieved my goal in 6 months and reached 195 lbs, and have since, settled in nicely at 205. Waist dropped from 42" to 36". Chronic morning back pain disappeared. Could not have lost the weight with either WW or exercise program alone. Everyday tracking of calories (points) was critical in opening my eyes to how much I honestly could eat to meet my goal.

I quickly learned that in order to have my nightly "reward" G&T (6 points of a daily 31 point allotment) I was going to have to eat fewer points for other meals. Exercising 6 days a week does give you some leeway in overall daily points, but not as much as you would think while trying to drop 65 pounds. Overall, WW was critical in helping me lose my weight, and is just as critical in helping me maintain the weight loss. It has become an integral part of my everyday eating regimen. Strongly recommend WW if you're struggling with weight and overall health issues.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Weight Watchers was just a couple of words to me in the past...that's until my wife got me interested in it. Well...I went on this "purple plan". For over 40 years, I've had a hell of a time trying to lose weight. Every one of my old pictures show me with a gut. And I just couldn't take it anymore...I started on this WW purple plan with the help of my wife and that was the end of my weight issue! I lost 30 lbs+ and I never put it back on. Currently, in my 60's, I'm in the best shape of my life!

I havent tried any other WW plans besides the purple. It worked for me because it allowed me to eat "any" type of food which I desired as long as I didn't exceed my 16 points a day..."so it does take a bit of will power". WW makes buying the right types of foods a breeze because of their food points program on my wife's cellphone. You can scan the bar code on any type of food in the grocery store and it'll state the "points value" per serving. I can then use this information towards my food intake management program every day... I absolutely think this WW plan is phenomenal and would recommend it to anybody who wants to lose weight. Thank you so much to Weight Watchers...!

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I used Weight Watchers 1 time and did lose 35 lbs. but still had 60 more to go and lost interest in their way. They didn't have Vegetarian at that time. So, took classes in school on nutrition and herbology, and worked up a program of my own that worked far better along with exercises daily. I dropped 75 lbs in short time, and was able to reach my goal. Weight watchers is a good program for many, it's a group therapy, they do have their own foods as well like Jenny Craig - and many other programs. But if you understand nutrition and your body you can do better. Unless you require group therapy and that one on one to keep you honest.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Even though I was dead set against WW for over 60 years because I thought it was a rip off I decided to join? Their plans are reasonable. The food you can eat is practically everything you would eat normally. I have been on Ww for 3 weeks and have lost 4 pounds. I enjoy my beer and wine as well as sugar reduced dessert. Yes there is always a nice steak to chow down. Like so many prejudices they are often found on an illogical foundation. I even signed up for 3 months at a great price. There is also free coaching.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I was able to lose 20 pounds or so twice by counting calories with the LoseIt! app, but then the third time around, it didn't work. I recently started the Weight Watchers (WW) program around 3 weeks ago to try a different approach. I didn't think it would work as I've been struggling with this on and off for a while. I expected that I was going to be hungry and only allowed to eat salads, since this was a diet. But to my surprise, I was already seeing results by the first week! I've been losing a pound/week pretty steadily and I'm still going to keep working towards my goal.

There are so many amazing meals from WW that I never even thought of! I'm a pretty picky eater and I love pasta, pizza, pancakes sort of foods. I can't believe I'm still able to eat them. I don't feel deprived or hungry on this diet. In fact, I haven't been needing as much sleep. I don't have to stress about burning a certain amount of calories, but I do try to run everyday and that just speeds up the weight loss progress. I'm glad WW doesn't require exercise. Plus I have the most amazing coach ever. What I love about WW is that there are 3 different food plans and different subscriptions you can get. In the beginner I found it most helpful to have one-on-one coaching. There's also WW meetings in person and virtual. I would highly recommend this program to anyone that wants to lose weight, but in a fun way where they get to eat the foods they want. I even eat dessert on this diet, and I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I have been a Weight Watchers lifetime member since the 80's. Unfortunately I had to return. I returned to my goal weight in 2019 and remained at goal through the pandemic. WW permanently shut down the WW studio I attended. As a Lifetime member at goal, you did not pay unless you were over goal weight. When they shut down in person meetings/studio, they offered online meetings. I chose not to attend. Then WW decided they would change their policy and require you to sign in and report your weight despite lifetime status. They then charged my Credit Card for not signing in and recording my weight. When I caught on to this scam I called and cancelled my membership with a live representative, who apparently did not cancel my membership. I asked for a refund for the charges and was told a manager would contact me. Surprise they never did. However now they claim a manager contacted me via voice mail.

They did not charge me for a couple months after I canceled May 2021. Then in October 2021 they decided they needed to resume charging me the monthly fee. When I called they said they had no record of me canceling and couldn't explain why they didn't charge me for 5 months but resumed for 6 months. They are now saying they can't help me from 2020 because I didn't return their voicemail. It is unfortunate because the program is great, however the management is very poor.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I cancelled WW 9 months ago. Clicked on the cancel link and never gave it another thought. They simply refunded one month and continued to charge me for 9 months. Refused to refund all. Could not replicate email confirmation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I joined WW many, many years ago and I thought it was a great program until recently. They always try to launch a new program to entice people to join. Normally when they do this they make sure all their customers have access to the new program via all accessible vehicles customers use. Well, that did not happen with the new launching of their program recently. They updated their program for vehicles of cellphones and tablets and did not update the program for customers who only have access to desktop and laptop computers only. Everyone does not have a cellphone or tablet and they don't care. I reached out to this company regarding this problem and they basically told me nothing will be done to ensure this level of customers will be updated so we can have access to the program we are paying for.

So, you are not able to access every aspect of the program we are entitled to as paying members. The new program is flawed as long as they take this type of attitude. This is also very unethical to charge for services that are not being rendered to all customers. I am so disappointed that WW does not care and should have updated this program for every vehicle their customers utilize to access the program. Angry and disappointed customer.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I joined for the third time in my life. Each plan was different, but this last time, I was succeeding on the Green plan starting April 2021. As I was nearing goal with 5-6 lbs to go, they initiated the Personal Points Plan, initially dropping me 9 daily points. They do not allow continuation on my old plan to complete my arc of success. This new plan is vastly different & not the effort to change at this point in my weight reduction. I am paying just to log my daily foods. Nothing more. This is ridiculous and they’ve lost me as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Maybe WW works for some, but it did not for me, and the price to discover that was exorbitant with a $67 early cancellation fee! They switched the entire program right after I started and didn't advise me how to track activity without a cell phone. I tried to explain that due to carpal tunnel, I have limited mobile use. I have a PC but there was no way to enter activity there at all. I will never make the mistake of joining WW again!

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information