Splenda

Compare Food Products

Research top Food Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I thought I had severe Rheumatoid arthritis. I was in such pain that I couldn't even do the basics of sitting and standing without tears in my eyes and breaking a sweat! I didn't know about the danger of this product until my cousin informed me of the health issues this caused. It took 3 months for me to be able to sleep without the pain being so severe that I may pass out from it. That's just the joint pain. Let's talk about the skin rashes that I thought was genetic. No, it was a reaction to SPLENDA. The stomach pains along with gas.

I changed everything in my diet to help and I never thought about removing SPLENDA from my diet until my cousin saved me. I was swollen and sick. Now I have to look at EVERYTHING I buy because sucralose is in 75% of the products out there. Something needs to be done about this. My 4-year-old son has a behavioral reaction to SPLENDA/sucralose. I ALSO HAVE TO CHECK EVERY SINGLE LABEL ON WHAT I BUY FOR HIM TOO!!! This is killing us slowly!!!

Wow! Thank you for somewhere that I can come and read the same symptoms I am having. I have used Splenda for over 2 years now and today is the first day I haven't used it, and now I know for certain that my headaches, blurred vision, head pressure, dizziness, confusion, and bloating comes from. Today is the first day in a long time that I have felt normal. I had a headache for over a week that I couldn't get rid of and had to go to the ER to get a shot to get rid of it, and I have a appt set up with a neurologist in a couple weeks but now I FINALLY know what the problem is!

In October of 2015 at my routine eye doctor appointment my doctor noticed nystagmus in my left eye. She referred me back to my primary physician for further testing. He couldn't really find anything wrong and he put me on a course of prednisone because I was also having other debilitating symptoms of lightheadedness and a weepy left eye. I was scared to death I was having a stroke or some kind of neurological disease. He said it was probably just a clogged ear.

Anyway, after the prednisone, I was still having the lightheaded spells. (A few while driving, how scary!) I decided to immediately go off of my low carb diet which included a fair amount of Splenda/Sucralose laced foods on a daily basis. After about 2 weeks the weepy eye and lightheadedness were gone and have not returned. The nystagmus is also gone according to both my primary and the eye doctor.

I am 100% certain this is due to the Splenda. After gaining 20 lbs back from not being on the low carb diet I have once again cut out sugar but I also do not consume any splenda/sucralose. I instead opt for Stevia and I have not had a recurrence of these strange and horrible symptoms. I only hope I didn't cause permanent damage to my body. I will never again consume Splenda and I recommend to anyone reading this to NEVER put that poison in your body.

I have been using artificial sweeteners for about 40 years including Sweet'N Low, Equal, and Stevia product without problems... Now enter Splenda (Sucralose). I am not able to tolerate this and some other artificial sweeteners as they cause gastrointestinal bloating and cramping with associated diarrhea. Many have warning labels which tell of this. I need to relate that I am as well "Lactose" intolerant and that the associated symptoms with are comparable. My problem is not so much with the manufacturing of these products (I am not forced to use them). I have been drinking Diet Pepsi for about thirty years 1-2 daily. As well I have been following the science related to the supposed "Horrible" side effects of Saccharine and Aspartame. Mostly Anecdotal... as is mine.

My fiance was diagnosed over 10 years ago with type 2 diabetes. At the time, he drank decaffeinated sweet tea, 1 to 2 gallons a day. We asked his doctor if he could use Splenda as an alternative to sugar and were told that would be a good choice. So we started using Splenda and, when they became available, the store brands of sucralose. After a period of approximately 2 years, I started to notice a slight tremor in his left hand on occasion which started to become progressively worse. I took him to a neurologist and we were told that he had Parkinson's Disease. The neurologist said because he was at the beginning stages of Parkinson's, he did not recommend starting any medications and to return in one year to be re-evaluated.

He started to get rashes on his face that would pop up for no reason, remain for a few weeks, and then go away. For several years his symptoms remained the same until the summer of 2013 when our world started to turn upside down. He started to have periods of extreme fatigue and the tremors went from the left hand to all over. By the fall of 2013, I had to start helping him bathe because it was too difficult for him to stand long enough to take a shower, and sometimes his tremors were so severe, the food would shake off of his fork. He would have dizzy spells and then his legs and feet started swelling.

I took him to a new neurologist in the spring of 2014 and then after his initial examination, he stated that he was not sure what was causing my fiance's symptoms, but he definitely did not have Parkinson's Disease. After a year of countless blood tests, MRI's, ultrasounds, and x-rays, we were no closer to an answer. At one point his health got so bad, the doctor had home health nurses and physical therapists come to our home for a few weeks, but there was nothing they could do to help him improve until a diagnosis could be made and they stopped coming. There were days his health was so bad I wasn't sure if he would make it.

Then one day out of the blue my fiance said, "The doctor has done thousands of dollars worth of test and we still don't know what is wrong with me. The only thing that I have been doing differently is using Splenda. I am not going to use it anymore." That was about 4 months ago. After approximately 6 weeks, we noticed a great reduction in his tremors. After 8 weeks the tremors were gone as well as the fatigue. No more dizzy spells, face rashes, and his legs and feet no longer swell. I am happy to say that he is now feeling well and has started to do activities he used to enjoy but was unable to for so long. Who would think someone would appreciate being able to take out the trash? He does now. Unfortunately I do not have a receipt for proof of purchase but I still have the last bag of sucralose that I purchased. It is the Food Lion Brand called Sweet Choice and the UPC number is 3582606204.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Splenda?

My story started 6 years ago, I was using Splenda and no name Splenda for 7 years prior with no side effects. The 7th year I started getting muscle cramping in my legs, feet & knees. It was increasingly getting worse as time went on to the point I thought I might have MS, Lupus or Lyme Disease. I had all test done by doctors to only find out I had major inflammation. Started getting cortisone shots in my feet and knees for some relief. It became worse to the point I could not get out of bed or walk a distance from my bed to the bathroom.

I was believing the doc test were wrong. I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a medical professional and she told me to stop using Splenda and ALL artificial sweeteners for two weeks and see if the pain goes away. Well to my SURPRISE she was right! A week later I was pain free and have been for the last 6 years. My family and I have removed all artificial sweeteners from our diet. I encourage everyone who is using this product and others like to to STOP NOW!

About two years ago, my blood sugar was a bit elevated so I decided to give up sugar. I started to use Splenda instead. Now when I look back, few things happened that I could not explain. My blood pressure that throughout my life remained 110/70 started to increase and in a regular medical checkup, I was prescribed BP lowering drugs. I also started to get a protruding belly. I thought that it could be a normal aging issue. Worse thing was the cough that I developed. A common cold became a nightmare as it just lasted and coughing never ended. At times I wondered if I had tuberculosis but X-ray showed clear lungs. Why this chronic cough then, I just could not find an answer to this question. My suspicion somehow never went to Splenda.

My sleep was disturbed though I had always slept soundly before. Post nasal drip and phlegm made sleeping hours miserable. While attending meetings I coughed and that was embarrassing to say the least. One day my wife brought tea in which she already had put Splenda but I did not know so I put another two tablets. That night was miserable and in the morning I suddenly realized that maybe Splenda was doing all this. I stopped it and suddenly the phlegm disappeared within a couple of days and the coughing stopped altogether. I read about side effects of Splenda and found that high blood pressure is also a consequence of Splenda. Now I kick myself in not having researched about Splenda before and feel very bad for inadvertently poisoning myself slowly for two years. I wish this fact should be communicated to all users of Splenda to save a good deal of misery. Where are the regulating bodies?

Marked increase in blood pressure. I used Splenda in health muffin recipe for about a month and began to have high blood pressure with severe head, neck and joint aches. My blood pressure meds were doubled and pain persisted and became intolerable. I was not sleeping and began to search meds and supplements for a cause and then the change from sugar to splenda occurred to me and I googled blood pressure and Splenda. I threw out thirty six muffins I had frozen and two large bags of Splenda two days ago. The pain is decreasing. Last night a long hot bath with epsoms salts seemed to help. I wish I knew of an antidote and I wish Splenda would put a warning on their packaging. I can count the headaches I have had in my life on one hand before this now these will not go away.

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for 11 years. I had to drastically reduce my sugar vintage but still used put cane sugar to make a gallon of tea. A few months ago, I decided to give Splenda a try. I started getting use to it but within the last month or so, my BP has steadily going up. I have also been having trouble sleeping and really bad headaches. For the last 3 days, I have cut out Splenda with the exception of diet mountain dew. No headaches, my BP is going down, and I gave sleeping like a baby. Take my word for it: DO NOT USE SPLENDA!!! NOT THE BRAND NAME, NOT THE GREAT VALUE BRAND BY WALMART, NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!!

Oh my goodness, I've been drinking Splenda in my coffee and eating it in god only knows what, for about a year. The last several months, I've felt depressed for no reason, severe debilitating migraines, severe neck and back pain, with all of these things. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Was I dying? No... I was poisoning myself with Splenda. As soon as a friend told me about this pesticide sweetener, I immediately stopped using all products containing it. The next day, my migraines were gone. Other side effects are slowly disappearing. However so many things have this in it!! So if you use this stuff, you really should stop. It really is pesticide. Like Sweet'N Low, it is a good ant killer!!

Every once in a while I cannot hold my urine. I hardly have to go, but it runs down my legs. I have finally found out that this happens whenever I use a drink that has Splenda in it. This is why I don't have it a lot as I rarely drink anything but water and have finally connected this with sucralose.

Splenda makes claims that it's "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar." Although it's best for me to avoid excess amounts of sugar due to the fact that I have diabetes, sugar has certainly never done to me the things that Splenda does. Splenda raises my blood pressure and it makes me feel sick to my stomach. I'm already taking medication for hypertension, I certainly don't need elevated blood pressure. I also don't need my life to be hampered by feeling queasy. I question the actual safety of Splenda if it causes problems like this. In doing searches on the Internet, I've discovered that I'm far from the only one that this happens to.

Splenda has been on the shelves for too many years and nothing has been done to eliminate it. In fact, it is continually spreading into our food supply without our knowledge. I've been getting adverse allergic reactions from food items that contain this chemical, and through experience, know immediately that the item contains sucralose. Are we guinea pigs or what? Why hasn't this item been taken off the shelves and still flourishing in 2013? With the countless complaints from zillions of people, something fishy is going on!

I was recently found to have an elevated blood pressure after years of having normal to low pressure. I was told to reduce my salt intake which I did promptly. My pressures started to go down, not yet normal but less than when I was first diagnosed. It kept going down slowly but surely. One day after lunch that included lots of lemonade sweetened with Splenda, I felt swollen and edematous. The rings on my fingers were tight. I felt miserable. I checked my blood pressure and it was high. I wondered what could have done that so quickly.

The rest of the lunch was no added salt and fairly salt free (salad, no dressing). I went to look online to see if Splenda could be the culprit. I could only find anecdotal reports about the relationship between Splenda and blood pressure, no clinical studies. So I stopped the Splenda immediately (which I had been using daily). Within a few days, my pressures went back to normal and have stayed that way. Now granted, I have also eliminated salt and caffeine and increased my exercise, all proven things for reducing the pressure. But it was only after I stopped the Splenda that I finally got normal pressures again.

Splenda made me sick! A few months ago, I started using Splenda in my coffee every morning. I then started having stomach pain, acid reflux symptoms, anxiety attacks and dizziness. My friend told me to stop the Splenda. A friend of hers had the same thing happen and once she stopped, the symptoms went away. And after not using it for a few days, I was better too. I now use sugar. The pain in my stomach was so bad sometimes that all I could do was lay down and rock back and forth. I missed work many times. Now, I have all these bills in the thousands coming for all the tests I had done and I can't afford to pay them. This is not right!

My blood pressure had always been normal (120/80) or even a bit lower. I am in excellent health and am not a diabetic, but used Splenda quite often in cereal and tea, and drank pop made with Splenda. For over a year, I have not been able to understand why my blood pressure has been rising. I thought it was from eating too much salt or drinking too many beverages with caffeine. So, I drastically reduced my salt and caffeine intake and ate relatively healthy but my blood pressure was still higher than normal for me. Then I decided to take a closer look into Splenda, as I was using it a lot every day. I read many reviews online about Splenda raising blood pressure. I immediately stopped eating and drinking anything with Splenda in it, and within 2 days my blood pressure dropped to where it always was before I started using Splenda. So, no more Splenda for me!

I have had very normal, stable blood pressure for several years. I ordered an ice tea from McDonald's and requested a Splenda as I typically only use one packet. The tea apparently already had Splenda as it was very sweet. I drank about half the ice tea. I immediately felt different and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Approximately one hour later, I began to feel extremely dizzy and light-headed. I took my blood pressure and it was 206/109! My husband rushed me to the hospital.

After numerous tests that all came out negative, I was sent home. My BP remained elevated for about 8 hours. I have had no other BP problems since then. This was a dangerous situation that could have caused me great harm. There was nothing else that I ate or drank that could have caused this high spike of blood pressure. More tests must be done to see if this is really a safe product!

I received an email from Splenda inviting me to join a weight loss program. I was to receive three newsletters from HealthMedia Balance and HealthMedia Move. I was never able to log in to read the newsletters and could not sign up because I did not have an access code. I called the number on the email and spoke to Desiree. I was given this number for assistance, I called only to find it was a number for foot fetish and they give you a 900 sex line number! When I called HealthMedia, they said they are an insurance company and have nothing to do with Splenda.

I was promised $50 for filling out a survey, but I can not access the site to fill out the form. They discontinued my account on March 28, 2011 but billed my credit card the monthly fee of $12.00 on April 27, 2011. Since Splenda discontinued my membership in March, I should not have been billed in April. As of May 13, 2011, no credit has been applied. The telephone number on my statement for the charge is **, this number has not been assigned. They have the following under my subscription plan: "You canceled this subscription on April 28, 2011. The expiration date for this subscription is December 31, 1969. You can purchase another subscription if this subscription has expired".

I signed up in February 2011. I want credit on my Discover card for $12.00 Can you believe these people?

Three weeks ago, I began putting Splenda on my morning oatmeal. This was a new regime for me. Starting off with a healthy breakfast, with a teaspoon of Splenda, was on my new diet plan. I also began putting Splenda in my iced coffee at lunch. I bought the big bag at Costco. Why not, it was zero calories, and very inexpensive.

Over the last three weeks, I began to have panic attacks. There was nothing going on in my life to cause me to be in this state. Along with the panic attacks, I began to have heart palpitations. I assumed the heart was fluttering, and my blood pressure rising because I was panicking. This continued on and off for the last few weeks. Finally last Friday, while I was driving in the car, I had the mother of all panic attacks. I pointed the car in the direction of the ER, because I thought this was the end. After an EKG, heart xray, blood tests and the monitoring of my vital signs, I was sent home with the diagnosis of an Anxiety Disorder. This did not sit too well with me since I have been dealing with a chronically ill husband for the last 7 years, and a daughter with a seizure disorder for the last 15 years. I am accustomed to stress and have never been in a panic state. This new diagnosis was bewildering.

On Monday, it hit me. Splenda is the only change I have made in my diet. It has been 4 full days since I have any Splenda and my health is back to normal. The anxiety, chest fluttering and the hot flashes are gone. I am shocked that this is still on the market. If I was a wealthy woman, I would take an ad out in every major newspaper and tell everyone about the potential dangers of Splenda. I have never been allergic to anything in my life so if this can effect me like this I can't even imagine what it would do to a person with a compromised system.

I read the Duke University report and agree that this product may interfere with the absorption of prescription drugs. I have tried using the product several times and after prolonged use began feeling odd. After having a heart attack recently, my doctors wanted me to lose weight and prescribed that I might try artificial sweeteners. I began using Splenda on a regular basis with no sugar at all in my diet and after a couple of months, my blood pressure had sky rocketed despite the use of Plavix, Losartin, and Cardvidilol and aspirin. As a result, my doctor increased my dosage of Losartin and only by accident I quit using Splenda. My blood pressure returned to mostly normal levels and at times was quite low, maybe because I really didn't need the extra meds.

My doctor has recently reiterated a need for artificial sweeteners.This time specifically prescribing I try Splenda. After two weeks of use, my blood pressure again elevated. I quit using Splenda again and again, my blood pressure returned to near normal. I have a doctor's visit very soon and I am going to relay this info to him. I will not use Splenda again because I believe the Duke study is correct regarding Splenda's interference with the absorption of prescription drugs. I realize that this is not a controlled study but I am convinced because of my own experience. After realizing my blood pressure was elevating, I began taking my BP 6-8 times daily. It is now lower and I don't yet now whether the extra meds that were (a doubled dosgae of Losartin) prescribed will have the adverse effects of lowering my BP too much. Only time will tell.

I have been using Splenda purchased here in Uruguay. It was extremely cheap. Try as I might, I cannot find online any information about recognizing counterfeit packaging. According to the company, counterfeiting of Splenda is going on. China has been named as a source. Reports are that these counterfeits have dangerous chemicals within them. I have expertise in printing/proofreading and could possibly recognize counterfeits if the company would draw a distinction between counterfeit packaging and the real genuine product. The company has a responsibility to inform consumers in vulnerable countries and to help them avoid what may be a potentially contaminated product and dangerous to human health. Can you help me please?

I started using Splenda sweetner about 3e years ago, I then started developing symptoms, sick to my stomache, weak, pain in chest dizziness. My doctor tested me for everything under the sun including bone cancer. Thousands of dollars in medical bills and tons of sleepness nights worried that I would have cancer. When I quit the Splenda all symtoms were gone within one week. I dont know who to turn to for help. This is all documented with my doctor

I believe that this product has made me ill over the last 11 years. I have liver problems that I've never had before, my weight is constantly fluctuating, I have intestinal problems and find that I'm taking more and more medication because my body doesnt seem to be reacting properly to it. I've used splenda since it came out in 1998. My granddaughter gained almost 25lbs in 1 year and she's 12 years old and all I cooked with is splenda. She is an active child and we couldn't understand why she gained so much weight when she has a pretty good diet. She's had labwork done and there is nothing genetically found as to why she has gained so much weight. I have documentations from my doctors stating various health concerns that have arisen over the years. I would like to be a part of a study and help take this company down if the findings are that Splenda is contributing to my health issues. I truely believe with every fiber in my being that this chemical is the reason why I have so many health problems. Please someone reach out to me. They can't get away with harming people with their products. I believe that I am living proof as to what Splenda can do to you as a result of long term use. Whatever tests or consulations need to be done in order to prove this I am willing to cooperate with to achieve a common goal.

I started having burning and itching rashes on my hands and feet. Its been going on about 5 months now. I went to doctor and they did every test known possible. He asked me had anything changed in my diet and I realized the only thing that had changed was that I started using splenda. I just stopped using splenda and everything seemed to be back to normal. I even able to sleep now. Well Ive had to miss days due to the pain and itching in my hands and feet. I also have had to pay medical bill due to me having test run. Physical; scar on my hands and feet also

I have used Splenda for a few years now in my coffee and tea and even on my cereal. But it seems that since I've used Splenda, I have gained weight and even find it harder to lose weight. I feel bloated.

Splenda is poison. My blood pressure is usually 120/80 (the very definition of normal). 20 minutes after consuming Splenda, it spikes to 140+. Splenda is a dangerous health hazard to the general public. It should be removed from the market in the Unites States. I have taken away the Splenda from my diet and my BP has normalized. I have reintroduced Splenda and had the same symptoms. I also know it's not a placebo effect because I have eaten it inadvertently (others making desserts) and have had the same effects. I only knew the dessert had Splenda in it after I had the symptoms. This is a dangerous, dangerous product. If it spikes my blood pressure that high, what will it do to people that are already borderline/high? This could be deadly as it could cause strokes!

I read another customer complaint on Splenda which alleges that Splenda caused esophageal achalasia in the customer. My 13-year-old son suffered the same condition and was required surgery. I had changed their sodas to Diet soda specifically Diet Rite Cola sweetened with Splenda. I also have experienced extreme exhaustion when using Splenda in coffee and sodas. I also began to exhibit central sleep apnea which prevented me from falling asleep because as my brain function relaxed, I ceased breathing and abruptly awoke gasping for air up to 10 times a night. I initially didn't make the Splenda connection but after suspecting, began to test my symptoms by refraining from use of Splenda for a few days, then returning to using Splenda for a few days - for a test period of two weeks. In every instance, my symptoms returned when I ingested Splenda.

I consume approximately 12 to 18 packets of Splenda per day. I have had three stomach surgeries within the last six or so weeks, all unexplained. The only link I can possibly think of would be my intake of Splenda.

Inability to absorb vitamins, possibly. Also, three surgeries to stretch my esophagus and pylorus (which had shrunk to the point I could no longer eat without vomiting). The doctor said he did not know how long the stretching would last before it shrunk again, as he was unsure of the cause of the shrinkage to begin with. I did not ask him at that time if he could associate my intake of Splenda with my stomach problems, but I will do so at my next followup visit.

I have also had very low Vitamin D values and very low Iron absorption. I am constantly tired and cannot perform many of my daily activities such as house cleaning. I manage to go to work most days but have taken two lengthy absences from work because of my fatigue and stomach surgeries. Of note, I have also had a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.

My husband , Rodney Heath Sr. used Splenda for about 8 or 9 yrs. ,I guess. He had Diabetes.Well he had trouble with sick stomach for about 6 months.October 11, 2008 he had something we thought was a virus and he died Monday morning October 13,2008. They said he died from a Gastrointestinal bleed.He was taking medicines for Diabetes , Neuropathy, and pain medicines.He was a sick man when he died.

I had been using Splenda for everything, including cooking, for about 5 years when I came across an article about artificial sweeteners and the side effects. I stopped using it and within one week felt like a new person. No more headaches, joint pain and tiredness. I tell everyone I see using it, about my experience.

Splenda Company Profile