2.6/5 (299 ratings)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Herbalife

Herbalife is a multilevel marketing corporation that supplies dietary supplements to independent distributors. It sells protein shakes, snack bars and teas. For more information, see our picks for the best meal replacement shakes for weight loss.

Pros

• Easy for on-the-go lifestyles
  • Vegetarian options
  • 3-day trial sample packs

Cons

• Available through independent dealers
  • Expensive

Bottom Line

Herbalife offers meal replacement shakes, weight loss programs and skincare products for dieters to manage their weight, care for their health and jumpstart a healthy lifestyle.

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Herbalife Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Herbalife?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Herbalife?

Original review: April 22, 2016

I started Herbalife April 5, 2016. I started with the Protein shake with the meal plus the Aloe with the tea, appetite control pill, am & pm pills & fiber pill... First week I went from 196 to 187. Yaaayyy! I thought so I made sure I didn't cheat and today I weighed myself and I'm at 190 wth!!! I called my rep. She said we have to meet and maybe I need to take the hormone pill... Another pill. I don't even take Tylenol and all of a sudden I'm popping 11 pill a day like crazy and it's not working not to mention all the water I'm drinking. I'm sorry but I don't think this is for me. I'm not only bombed out, it stop working. I'm also out a few hundred bucks.

Original review: April 18, 2016

I have tried many MLM companies in my life but Herbalife is by far my greatest disappointment. I didn't even like the products themselves and ended up recruiting new distributors at all costs. My clients weren't happy with the products either and one of them had a severe reaction to them =(. In the end Herbalife was more stressful than anything and I don't recommend it at all. Good luck!

Original review: April 17, 2016

For four years I've watched and watched one after another people receiving amazing results. I realize that in all my years of working out by myself and little knowledge on weight loss, that I hit a wall on losing weight around my stomach. A month ago I purchased my very own Herbalife package. In it was two flavored shakes: one protein mix tea, Cell-U-Loss and Thermo-Bond. Within my first month I lost 9 pounds (you can see my results on Instagram at **) and gained plenty of energy and muscles.

I'm not sure what many was told by the people that sold them the product, but the person that sold my package to me explained that, "I have two shakes a day and one full nutritious meal", just like everyone explained. But in addition to that, I could have a mini meal (nutritious) with my shake, also to have a snack (nutritious) within every 2-3 hours also to drink plenty of water. I eat all day but the gaps are so well-planned out I'm burning off the food previously before I eat again thus keeping my metabolism high all day in addition to a 20-30 min workout three times a week.

I read that people have had bad pooping issues but I read clearly on the back of the Formula 1 and all other packages that before taking the product, one should meet with their physician, which means to me, "find out if your body can handle the product" because people might have health issues with soy or caffeine. Be careful and read the information on the back of the product and if your distributor fails to explain any of the suggested info to you that I mentioned here, contact me at ** and I'll do my best to assist you with your issues with the product.

Original review: April 15, 2016

I was fooled by an agent to buy 100 euros worth of products. Everybody wants to get skinnier, I wanted to gain weight. Actually I didn't wanted anything, but someone recommended me to measure myself because is free and they can tell me what can I do to have more energy. In theory I think they are right, I need to gain weight, so I reach the normal parameters and the energy will come with it, and suddenly it sounded like a good idea to try something new since with the food is not working. The agent gave me a shake to try it, he said is his dinner (I feel so sorry for him now), it was not bad at taste, but I felt my stomach bloated the whole evening. Not saying that was sweet and artificially flavoured and this will become irritable very soon if you use it 3 times a day.

Me as a vegan I should have spotted this from miles away, but I was weak and I was fooled. After I purchased two shakes and two boxes of magical pills the plan was to start from the next morning. I put 2 spoons of powder in my usual smoothies (breakfast) but couldn't finish it till noon, I had the same bloated stomach feeling. This was the last attempt. The agent called me 3 times but didn't answered yet, of course he did and he'll do it again, I'll try to return them but reading these reviews might have 0 chances. Lesson learned: never ever buy something expensive and dubious without investigating first, and the sad thing is I had plenty of time to investigate while I was there.

Original review: April 10, 2016

I am concerned about the price of the products of Herbalife. Yes I am satisfied with the products and I do enjoy using them. It is making changes in the life of my family. My mom has diabetes and I see how using the breakfast has brought changes for her. My main concern is the price that is on the product. I want to know the following. Does Herbalife work at recycling? Because the package from each product is made from such good material that I believe it can be recycled and also hope that this can bring down the cost of the product. The people who can use this product to improve their health may not be able to afford Herbalife products and this is very sad. I would love to see more persons benefiting from this product.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I notice most people talk bad about Herbalife but I personally love Herbalife. I started using it end of Nov 2015 and I have lost 7kg already. My body has been transformed in a good way. Even my skin glows because of the good nutrition I am taking in. I have learnt how to eat well as I am 2 shakes and a healthy meal a day. I can recommend it to everyone and anyone. It's worth every the cent!

Original review: April 3, 2016

I have been using Herbalife products for just over one month. I have had great success with all the Herbalife products I use. From the shakes and supplements to the shampoo, conditioner and body wash. I have dropped over 21lbs. in 4 weeks and haven't felt this healthy in years. I have plenty of energy and can't give these products enough praise for my ongoing transformation from fat to fit.

Original review: March 30, 2016

If I could give this no stars I would. The product is absolutely terrible. That is just the beginning! When you go to return unused products they will make it seem like everything will be refunded very smoothly but that is the complete opposite. You will spend hours trying to get a hold of someone on the customer service line then they will be absolutely no help. They will tell you they will call you back and they won't do that either. The company is an entire scam. I sent my products back in February and I am still waiting for this so called company to refund my money! ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SIGN UP FOR HERBALIFE!

Original review: March 19, 2016

I changed my email address, wanted to order products. I find customer service crap. They changed email, still cannot get into my account. Charge me more if I order by phone. Pulling my hair out.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I have been taking Herbalife products for a couple weeks now, and I have already lost 9 pounds! I wonder if some of these other reviewers actually tried the products, as I have had none of the issues that some of these others have had. I feel so much better since I have been using the products. I love the taste of the formula 1 shakes, and I have been drinking the tea in the afternoon. I have been replacing two of my meals (usually breakfast and lunch) with shakes, and then eating a healthy, balanced dinner. I feel energized, focused, and more motivated since I started. The prices are really decent compared to other nutrition companies as well.

True, people that all of a sudden intake more fiber and protein may have more/irregular bowel movements, but that is just your body reacting to the change in nutrition. It doesn't matter if it is Herbalife or another protein shake by a different company, your body still needs to adjust to the extra protein, and everyone knows (or should know), that increased fiber means your bowels move quicker = your body has to adjust. You can't just change your diet or nutrition, and all of a sudden expect your body to react just as quickly as you changed. You need to give it some time, follow the guidelines from Herbalife, and you will feel great and lose weight!

Original review: March 9, 2016

I tried to use Herbalife products last year (Dec. 2015). I bought the shake formula, aloe and tea. I was advised to drink the aloe, tea and shake every morning and avoid eating high carbo diets and meats (except chicken and fish). I did not have any result after the 21 day period. I thought that maybe because I did not follow much the instruction. I admit that I cheat, I eat my usual diet because of the holiday season. So January of the following year, 2016, I decided to buy again the product, the same formula. Aloe, tea and shake but this time they intensify the amount of products to be consumed.

The agent requires me to take aloe, tea and shake in the morning, tea, aloe and regular healthy food at lunch and aloe, tea and shake for supper. Aside from this, I have to consume lots of fluids the whole day, that makes me have 5x extra trip to the CR to pee. I am also required to have a 30 mins. exercise. I follow all the instructions. I am now on my second week but see no changes even a small decrease in weight. My coach told me that maybe I am not following the procedure but that's not true.

I am barely eating real food. How come it still don't work? They advise me to take another product, the vitamins and minerals, and so I did. I take it 2x a day. But still no result. They want me to buy another product, the fibroherb, but I guess that is too much, I am spending a lot of money for the product. And I am not happy with the result. I am giving Herbalife 2 weeks chance to effect their promised weight loss for me, after that if it still won't work, then I will stop consuming their product anymore.

Original review: March 7, 2016

I started using Herbalife last week. I experience headache and a bit of dizziness which I assumed was due to the change dies as I had replaced my two meals with Herbalife shake. Would have a fruit in the morning around 0900, boil two eggs around 1200 and then have the shake around 1500. Came weekend I cheated big time as I ate everything I avoided during the week but I was not bothered as I told myself it will not happen again, Monday morning I was so constipated as hell, I am in pain as I am writing this review. My bums are on fire, can't even go to the loo to pee. I regret the day I joined Herbalife.

Original review: March 3, 2016

People with bad coaching experiences. I had taken these products since 2012 and I love all of them. People should know who they are dealing with and if they are getting trained on a regular basis by company standards. Caffeine is caffeine, if you are sensitive to it you will not like it. If you are not used to fiber you will notice it. Is not the product, people are not used to it. Never buy one of these products from Amazon or any other site that does not have a direct Corporate server address. For all those people that feel they have been taken, you can call Herbalife and talk to them directly, headquarters is also very serious about people with complaints about the product itself. You should write them instead of here.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I was told to take the product before my biggest meal and it would block the gluten and make me feel full so I eat less. Next day I had awful diarrhea and I was not told this. I took pill in the morning instead hoping for better results but the same thing happened. I could not get out of the bathroom. I have not taken anymore pills. The pills have not produced the effects I was told. I will not be ordering anymore pills. Beware the diarrhea is pretty bad!!! No one has reviewed on this product.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

I am sorry that any of you felt scammed by Herbalife. I however was not. I love the product. You cannot just do the shakes, you must use the cell activator with it (at least). It opens up cells in your body to absorb the protein properly. Due to our hormonal society of food. Our body has a hard time absorbing nutrients correctly in the body. Anything in a fruit or vegetable you buy at the store that has any chemical additive in it. The body will not recognize therefore will think of it as waste and will not absorb it.

I have taken all the minimum recommendations of this product without doing a vigorous exercise. Products as in metabolic tea, shakes, cell activator, multi-vitamin, and my favorite Aminogen (works great to bring skin back to its original form from weight loss). And yes the product is pricey. But I am going to be getting back on it. It's worth it. Another thing you are not suppose to mix any other protein products with this. It ruins the cell make up of the product. And if you mix you will gain and see no results. Compare... straight whey protein shakes to Herbalife. Blend both up. Herbalife does not separate, it absorbs while whey does not absorb (which means if it doesn't absorb water it doesn't absorb in your body).

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

Started taking this product 11 years ago when I was only 12 years of age. I was 10 kgs underweight and unable to gain no matter how much I ate. With Herbalife I gained 10 kgs in about 6 months and have managed to maintain my weight the past 11 years! My whole family is on it too, and the health changes they've experienced are simply amazing! Apart from that, I've been helping my friends and peers lose weight, get more concentration in their studies, and live healthier, active lifestyles. Definitely would recommend this to anyone who's willing to make a LIFESTYLE change. This isn't a part time or temporary change.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

I buy the tea, the aloe and the pina colada shake once a month. One for my work and another set to have at my house. I take these shakes for breakfast and lunch (during work). I lost a total of 15 Pounds in 4 MONTHS!!! I worked out (a lot of treadmill running) for 30-45 min 4 times a week and had cheat meals Friday and Saturday. After a while you get tired of drinking shakes but it's worth it, you feel more energized and happy! I always switch flavors when I am tired of one!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

I'm 6'6 and I was 314 pounds. Was diagnostic with high blood pressure and I needed to start taking care of my health since I wasn't 20 years old no more like we all think we are. So I started on the product and I replaced breakfast with a shake and dinner with a shake, for lunch chicken or steak with salad and I didn't cheat with garbage food. I had snacks like healthy bars or fruits to keep full and not starving. I think the product works. You also need to at least work out 45 minutes - 1 hour a day. Not just sit at home, have your shake and expect miracles to happen when you're not working on it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

Been using the product for a month Plus I EXERCISE regularly and have lost 10 lbs so far. I haven't seen anyone mention exercise in their review. The product gives you energy so you can increase your activity level. Duh!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I have been taking Herbalife since I was 4 months postpartum. When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and decided to research Herbalife to see if it could help with my problem. I got the OK from my doctor and dietitian! I was so glad they had already knew about the products. I did not start until after because I did not have the money but I am breastfeeding and it has been wonderful honestly.

Many people always have negative comments about EVERYTHING! So yes do your research, ask your doctor, but ultimately try it out for yourself. Be careful who you choose as your coach though! Your coach should advise how to take the products and what to eat so you get the best results and live a healthy lifestyle. My coach was AWESOMEEEE! And she is the reason why I have had great results. Me and my baby are doing great in all of our checkups, btw. :) Again yes do your research and ask your doctor but don't always listen to the negative comments. People have bad experiences with McDonald's, alcohol, etc. but people still consume them knowing it isn't healthy. Why not give a nutritional shake a shot? Good luck guys and I hope you have a wonderful experience as I did!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

I am an 18 year old girl who has struggled with her weight forever. I worked out for 6 months every day and only lost 5 pounds. I have tried everything and finally I decided to start Herbalife. I started Herbalife in March of 2015 and by the end of my month I had already lost 15 pounds and looked fantastic. When I was taking Herbalife, I had a ton of energy and I kicked my butt at the gym everyday. The only downfalls are the strict meals and having to workout about 4-5 days a week to see results, but it is completely worth it and you lose weight very fast. I was ready to do anything I needed to do to lose the weight and Herbalife really pushed me to do it. I think the results of Herbalife depend on the person but when nothing else worked for me, Herbalife was the only thing that helped me lose weight.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I measure 5 feet 5, 162 lbs. (Size 10 -12 dress pants). I want to find a product that I can take at least 3 days per week... instead of only drinking green tea. After having already lost 4 pounds, I paid 20$ (too much) for this dubious product. The powder mixed easily. I also bought for 23$ at NoFrills 1 kilo of milk powder with whey protein (but after 10 days I got tired of that mixture). The Cookies and Cream meal replacement shake did make food seem disgusting to you (which was a desirable side-effect). I felt full. However, I knew there could be irreversible side effects if one takes this product for more than a month or so...

Now looking for a similar shake which cuts the appetite (in the three day trial were also caffeine pills, not a good idea for somebody who never drinks much theine nor caffeine, to take two in a day, will make you too jittery... should come in smaller dosage). The advantage of caffeine pills, you do not need Red Bull then, and as you do not drink the caffeine in a liquid form, it does not stain the teeth (as it goes directly to the stomach). Hope this is helpful.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

It's a complete waste of money. I gain three pounds. The tea has a ton of caffeine which made me sick. Me and my friends have used these products and they did not work. It was a waste of time and money! Their sales representatives are pushy and liars. I DO NOT recommend it! If you don't believe me, do your own research before you spend your hardworking money.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

The seller of T. Nagar, Chennai told that the product would reduce my 4-5 pimple scars completely within 3-6 months. And after checking my body weight with some machine, she said that I am totally weak and I must take inner nutrition too. She told - ''how are you surviving? You have no fat in body.. you will face many problems after marriage bla bla...'' Then I listened her whole Herbalife stories, finally asked price. :-P Then she called my dad and told him the price which is 85000/-. Finally I took only skin products. Just after every facial I started getting more and more cystic acne. If I call her and tell about it she is telling that it's a part of treatment. I believed her and continued using. Now I have 30-40 cystic acne and very bad scars just because of Herbalife skin products.

Don't ever get attracted to their photos and stories. I tried protein powder too which caused dry cough for me. I totally stopped everything. Waste of money and total damage to my skin. Currently taking medications for my acne vulgaris caused by that product as prescribed by my dermatologist. Don't do this mistake. I'm already regretting it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I have used the products, an Advanced Program for weight loss and feel amazing. I also use Aloe, the Deluxe Bars, Prolessa Duo. I have lost 80lbs and 96 1/4 inches off my body, and most of that was in 6 months. I lost 5" off my waist in 5 days using Prolessa Duo. I have never felt sick, hungry or had digestive issues. My blood sugar is so, so much more controlled and my A1C has come down. My blood pressure is also normal now and I am no longer having pain from gallstones. I went back to the doctor and an MRI shows that the gallstones and 'sludge' is almost gone. I feel like a million bucks and am looking more like it every day as well.

I am appalled at some of these reviews written in 2015. One mentioned how they were on the Gold Program, which hasn't existed for years now. If you are going to do a review, do an honest one. And for the one who said they were constipated - you probably haven't tried the aloe, because it works wonders, or perhaps you are as full of ** that you admit to.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I have been using Herbalife shakes for over 10 years. First I started it to lose weight but then I stayed on maintenance diet just because the shakes keep you healthy overall. My friend tried its Skin care range and actually got rid of acne. I don't know why there are so many hate comments in this forum. From my experience, Herbalife provides very good quality nutrition if compare to regular grocery store aisle range. I would highly recommend buying from a registered distributor though, to guarantee fresh stock. I have been using www.goherbalife.com/herbalmeals from last 2 years and their customer service is good.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

I started Herbalife with the shakes meal replacement: 2 shakes and a healthy meal. I also used Cellulose, Thermo Bond and tea. The Tea made me jump out of My skin, jittery and nervous. The cellulose after 2 weeks did nothing, but make me thirsty. I drink a lot of water but wasn't voiding enough out. I felt very hungry after I would drink the shakes almost as though I was starving and needless to say my bathroom experience has been a nightmare. I have had a few embarrassing experiences, not good.

My Herbalife seller will not refund my money on the Cellulose as I've asked her several times. She will NOT RETURN MY CALLS, NOT ANSWER MY TEXT in 2 weeks. I am very disappointed as I purchased 6 shakes, 1 cellulose, 1 tea, 1 Thermo Bond. Thermo bond has a amazing way of letting you spend a lot of bathroom time (not pleasant by any means). I am very very disappointed in this Herbalife distributor but the money I've spent on products is unreal and I will never recommend this product to no one. I will only warn them of the side effects and lack of money back guarantee that Herbalife offers that never happened.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I have been using Herbalife for about 4 months and have lost 46 lbs. I have read so many negative reviews about the product on this site. I have tried many diets and have failed. I must admit that the first 2 days of using Herbalife were very difficult because I was so accustomed to consuming unhealthy meals. After the first 2 days, it became so easy and I felt so much better. My only downfall is that I have failed to begin to exercise. I also hear many saying that the product is expensive. Where can you purchase 2 meals for approximately $3.35 per day. I derived at this figure by purchasing Formula 1 for $50 (usually cheaper) and Total Control for $50 dividing by 30 days. I only figured the Formula 1 and total control because this is how I started the program. I later added the Cell-U-loss.

This product does work, and I have saved lots of money. I saved so much money because before Herbalife, I ate breakfast $5.00, lunch $7.00 and sometimes dinner $7.00. That is a total of $19 per day on average. See, I am saving almost $15 per day which means that I can afford to use Herbalife. I would definitely recommend Herbalife to friends, family, and all others. This product does work and I plan to continue to use the product. Did I forget to mention that the meal replacement shake is so delicious. There are 9-10 flavors available and adding fruits, nuts, PB2 and other healthy ingredients gives a totally different flavor.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

I used this product twice, i.e two years before and recently. Recently when I used it, I got amazing results. Many people have a misconception that it is a weight loss product. But, it isn't. It's just a healthy food with which you can design the desired program which you want i.e Weight Loss/Weight Gain. I tried Gym, Yoga and various things to lose my weight but I never lost more than 3 kilos. After following their weight loss program I lost an amazing 9 kilos in just 3 months. Thanks to Mark ** for gifting us with Herbalife.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I started Herbalife on August 10 and within 2 months I have lost over 30 pounds. The products are great and have had no problems whatsoever. I am a type one diabetic and even my doctor told me to stay on Herbalife 'cause it is working for me. The products are great and keeps me full without the extra protein powder. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Herbalife Company Information