The voluntary recall of Tylenol Arthritis Pain Caplets is being expanded.
McNeil Consumer Healthcare and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) FDA say the recall now includes all available product lots of the medication's 100-count bottles, with the distinctive red EZ-OPEN CAP.
The recall was launched back in November because of consumer reports of an unusual moldy, musty, or mildew-like odor that was associated with nausea, stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
The odor is caused by the presence of a chemical -- 2,4,6-tribromoanisole -- believed to be the breakdown of a chemical used to treat wooden pallets that transport and store packaging materials. The health effects of this compound have not been well studied, and to date all of the observed events reported to McNeil were temporary and non-serious.
Lot numbers in the expanded recall include:
• 07CMC011, 07DMC022, 07DMC024, 07FMC032, 07FMC033, 07GMC038,
• 07GMC039, 07HMC045, 07HMC051, 07HMC053, 07JMC064, 07JMC069,
• 07JMC070, 07JMC071, 07XMC055, 07XMC058, 07XMC062, 08AMC002,
• 08AMC005, 08CMC026, 08DMC029, 08EMC037, 08EMC039, 08FMC044,
• 08FMC045, 08GMC050, 08GMC053, 08GMC063, 08GMC065, 08JMC103,
• 08JMC109, 08JMC110, 08JMC111, 08KMC124, 08KMC127, 08KMC131,
• 08KMC132, 08XMC093, 08XMC094, 08XMC095, 09AMC010, 09CMC041,
• 09EMC075, 09EMC079, 09EMC076, 09GMC096, 09GMC097, 09GMC099,
• 09JMC118, 09JMC126, 09KMC133, 09KMC134, 09XMC114, 09XMC116
The Tylenol Arthritis Pain Caplet 100-count product lot numbers can be found on the side of the bottle label.
Consumers who purchased the medication from the lots included in this recall should stop using the product and contact McNeil for instructions on a refund or replacement.
For these instructions or information regarding how to return or dispose of the product, consumers should call 1-888-222-6036 (Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, and Saturday-Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time) or visit the company Web site at www.tylenol.com.
Consumers who have medical concerns or questions should contact their healthcare provider. Any adverse reactions may also be reported to the FDA's MedWatch Program by fax at 1-800-FDA-0178, by mail at MedWatch, FDA, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787, or on the MedWatch website at www.fda.gov/medwatch.