Wal-Mart has quietly pulled dog treats made in China -- Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips -- from its store shelves.

Bella
WPVI-TV Photo

WPVI-TV of Philadelphia said last weeks action came on the heels of the death of a Pennsylvania womans two-year-old Chihuahua, which suddenly died after eating the jerky strips.

An autopsy revealed the dog died from an infection caused by toxic bacteria.

Wal-Mart would not tell WPVI how many complaints its received about the jerky strips. An Internet search, however, revealed similar incidents across the country.

Wal-Mart also issued a statement to WPVI saying it cared about people and their pets, and ordered the treats removed from the shelves of all stores.

The company also offered to reimburse the grieving pet owner up to $2,000, WPVI reported. But the woman said that figure doesn't come close to covering her loss. She also said this issue wasnt about money it was about getting the word out on this product.

Wal-Mart has not publicly commented on its decision to pull the jerky strips. Theres also no mention of a recall involving these treats on the FDAs Web site.