Zen Magnets of Denver, Colo., is recalling about 10 million Zen Magnets and Neoballs Magnets sold individually and in magnet sets.
When two or more high-powered magnets are swallowed, they can attract to each other, or to another metal object, and become lodged in the digestive system. This can result in perforations, twisting and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning, and death.
The company is aware of two children who ingested Zen Magnets and required surgery to remove the magnets and parts of their intestines and bowels.
In addition, CPSC is aware of other reports of children and teenagers ingesting high-powered magnets and requiring surgery.
A 19-month-girl died after ingesting similar high-powered magnets.
This mandatory recall involves all Zen Magnets and Neoballs magnets, which are high-powered 5 mm spherical magnets.
Zen Magnets were sold individually and in sets of 72, 216 with 6 spares, and 1,728 with 8 spares.
Neoballs were sold individually and in sets in the following colors: silver, gold, red, orange, green, red, blue, and purple.
“Zen Magnets” or “Neoballs” is printed on the packaging.
The magnets, manufactured in China, were sold online at Neoballs.com and ZenMagnets.com and the Colorado retailers listed below beginning in January 2009 for between $12 and $264 per set, or individually for 6 to 10 cents per magnet:
Colorado Retailers of Zen Magnets:
- Botanico, 3054 Larimer Street, Denver, Colo.80205
- Chronic Life, 12 Federal Boulevard, Denver, Colo. 80219
- The Glass Hut, 1350 South Sheridan Boulevard #9, Denver, Colo. 80232
- The Hemp Center - Colorado Springs, 2501 West Colorado Avenue #106, Colorado Springs, Colo. 80904
- The Hemp Center – Littleton, 2430 West Main Street, Littleton, Colo. 80120
- Herbal Alternatives: New Broadsterdam, 2568 South Broadway, Denver, Colo. 80210
- Herbal Dazed, 6525 Federal Boulevard, Denver, Colo. 80221
- Hobby Town – Aurora, 1915 South Havana Street, Aurora, Colo. 80014
- Hobby Town – Lakewood, 3355 South Wadsworth Boulevard, Lakewood, Colo. 80227
- Lightshade on Holly, 3950 North Holly Street, Denver, Colo. 80207
- Lyon's Finest 2, 11080 East 47th Avenue, Denver, Colo. 80239
- Meadowlark 64, 2701 Larimer Street, Denver, Colo. 80205
- MK Vapor, 10273 East Iliff Avenue, Aurora, Colo. 80247
- Nimbus Smoke Stop, 2960 South Federal Boulevard #7, Denver, Colo. 80236
- Octpipe, 5303 Leetsdale Drive, Denver, Colo. 80246
- Science Toy Magic, 11 Old Town Sq., Fort Collins, Colo. 80524
- Secret Stashh Gifts, 3655 Brighton Boulevard, Denver, Colo. 80216
- Soldis, Colorado Mills Mall, Lakewood, Colo. 80401
- Vaper Jungle, 7033 East Colfax Avenue, Denver, Colo. 80220
What to do
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled magnets and contact Zen Magnets LLC for a refund.
Consumers may contact Zen Magnets toll-free at (844) 936-6245, by email at email@example.com, or online at https://zenmagnets.com/public-releases/surprise-recall-from-cpsc/ for more information.