Based on recent information from Takata as required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Toyota Motor North America, is expanding its recall involving Takata front passenger airbag inflators.
The involved vehicles are equipped with a particular type of inflator -- in which -- according to Takata a safety defect may arise in front passenger airbag inflators due to inflator propellant degradation occurring after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling. This could result in an inflator rupture when the air bag deploys.
This expansion involves approximately 543,000 additional vehicles in the U.S., including:
- 2008 – 2009 and 2012 Model Year Scion xB
- 2009 and 2012 Model Year Toyota Corolla
- 2009 and 2012 Model Year Toyota Corolla Matrix
- 2007 – 2009 and 2012 Model Year Toyota Yaris
- 2012 Model Year Toyota 4Runner
- 2012 Model Year Toyota Sienna
- 2006 – 2009 and 2012 Model Year Lexus IS250/350
- 2012 Model Year Lexus IS250C/350C
- 2008 – 2009 and 2012 Model Year Lexus IS‐F
- 2007 – 2009 and 2012 Model Year Lexus ES350
- 2012 Model Year Lexus GX460
- 2012 Model Year Lexus LFA
All known owners of the recalled vehicles will be notified by first class mail starting in February.
What to do
Depending on the vehicle model, dealers will replace either the front passenger air bag inflator or air bag assembly at no cost.
For more information consumers may call Toyota customer service at 1‐800‐331‐4331, or Lexus customer service at 1‐800‐255‐3987.