PhotoWhen black mold invades it can look horrendous and it puts a black mark literally on your house-cleaning skills. Moisture is your enemy when it comes to black mold and you have to be careful because of the toxicity of mold period. It can cause allergic reactions.

In most cases, depending on the length of exposure and the number of spores inhaled, symptoms can include chronic fatigue or headaches, fever, irritation to the eyes, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat, sneezing, rashes, and chronic coughing.

In cases of prolonged or severe exposure, or cases exacerbated by an allergic reaction, more extreme symptoms can include nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the lungs and nose. This is why you have to be very careful when you are cleaning it yourself.

Black mold is most likely to appear in areas of the home that are particularly warm, humid and damp. Basements or crawlspaces that may have leaks or other sources of moisture are often susceptible to toxic black mold growth. Black mold is called black for a reason, it’s black. Most other molds are green or gray in color, but toxic black mold is a dark black.

To remove requires an investment not only in protective gear but patience as well. Find a way to muster up the courage to go into dark places where fungus is definitely among us.

Moisture has to be sucked out of the area and removed. Leaks have to be terminated and any form of condensation needs to be eradicated. If you leave either of these the mold will most likely return.

Sealing off doorways and any other opening is also of utmost importance. Heavy plastic can be used to cover doorways and just use duct tape to keep it sealed on. An exhaust fan will be a good aid in the room if there are outdoor openings to help remove mold spores.

You really need to cover up in order to do this, head to toe. Wear a respirator or a facemask rated for black mold spore protection, and cover arms, legs and hands to avoid contact with mold spores. Mold should remove pretty easily by using a sponge with soap and water. If the moldy area is dry, lightly spray with water, as this will reduce the incidence of airborne mold spores during cleaning.

There are products that are made specifically for black mold. You can find them at most hardware stores or the big stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Bleach does work very well and the only issue you will have is to make sure it doesn’t discolor any surfaces or materials, like furniture or splash on curtains.


Share your Comments