Nissan North America is recalling about 307,962 model year 2001-2011 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.
The recall includes:
- Model year 2001-2003 Maximas,
- Model year 2002-2006 Sentras,
- Model year 2002-2004 Pathfinders,
- Model year 2007-2011 Versa Sedans & Versa Hatchbacks,
- Model year 2001-2004 Infiniti I30s& I35s,
- Model year 2002-2003 Inifiniti QX4s,
- Model year 2003-2008 Infiniti FX35s & FX45s, and
- Model year 2006-2010 M35s & M45s.
The recalled vehicles are equipped with non-desiccated, front passenger airbag inflators containing phase stabilized ammonium nitrate (PSAN) propellant that were used as interim remedy parts for previous Takata recalls.
These inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling.
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
What to do
Nissan will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflators with alternate desiccated inflators free of charge.
The recall is expected to begin February 10, 2020.
Owners may contact Nissan customer service at (888) 737-9511 or Infiniti customer service at (888) 810-3715.