Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) is recalling 58 of the following vehicles:
- Model year 2017-2019 C300 s E300,
- Model year 2018-2020 CLA250s, 2020 CLS450s, AMG E53s, AMG GT53s, GLE450s,
- Model year 2018 AMG E63s, AMG GTAs,
- Model year 2017-2020 GLA250s, GLC300s,
- Model year 2019 GLC350s, AMG GLC43s,
- Model year 2017-2018 GLE350s,
- Model year 2019 AMG GLC 43s, GLC350s, GLE400s,
- Model year 2017 GLS450s, S550s, C300 Cabrios, and
- Model year 2018-2019 S560s.
The communication module might have been inadvertently deactivated during a service visit, which could have disabled the Emergency Call (eCall) function.
A disabled eCall system would prevent a vehicle occupant from contacting emergency services through the call center in an emergency, potentially delaying emergency responders and increasing the risk of injury.
What to do
MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the communication module and activate it -- if necessary -- free of charge.
The recall is expected to begin April 13, 2021.
Owners may contact MBUSA customer service at (800) 367-6372.